• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Comic Johto Teen Mon Soul Brothers [SoulSilver Nuzlocke comic]

Thread Description
Corey and his adoptive brother, Ty the Totodile, are inseparable siblings ready to take the League challenge together!

GECKO

Lizards.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2020
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
An awkward lil reptile who is just trying her best.
Corey and his adoptive brother, Ty the Totodile, are inseparable siblings ready to take the League challenge together! But their adventure may hold more than they ever bargained for...

Teen rating for occasional swearing, violence, and mild blood.
Open to constructive feedback about the art, characters, plot, etc.

Soul Brothers has been ongoing on deviantArt since 2018, but is also going to be updating on the forums now!

Table of Contents

Extras

Videos

Last edited:

ACottontail

Conqueror of the Ecruteak Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
I love Corey and Ty's dynamic. They bounce off each other so well, and I can really feel that they're brothers from their interactions. Vlad is so cute. I love chapter 13, it's such a delight to see everyone just hang out in Goldenrod city. Just Runt in the background face palming at Corey trying to look cool and fighting over a kabob with Vlad. How cute baby Ty hatching from an egg is. That dance dance evolution segment where Speckles is so cute while dancing and Runt hilariously got good. Team interactions are my favorite part of Nuzlocke comics, and that page hits it out of the park. I like Kira and Celia, and how they want to do more but they grew up in a strict environment, and their dynamics with Ty and Corey's team are great. Still I like how you portrayed Runt's death. Almost never in nuzlockes do humans directly cause a death like that. It fits well in the tone of your world, of journeys being generally safe but then team rocket... That slash and then all of the white feathers shocked me, and it settled in along with the characters what just happened. Still just everyone having to explain to Omelette what just happened :(. I read the hard pills to swallow meme you made before reading the page, and man did that meme sink in.

I wish I could read all of it, but the pages you marked as mature make it pretty much impossible for anyone without a deviant art account to read them. I was able to follow the story decently well from the pages I could read, but I feel like I missed out on something. Why do I feel like I missed out on Garrett screaming with every other word being a curse word at Ty that a pokemon's only purpose is to fight?

GECKO

Lizards.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2020
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love Corey and Ty's dynamic. They bounce off each other so well, and I can really feel that they're brothers from their interactions. Vlad is so cute. I love chapter 13, it's such a delight to see everyone just hang out in Goldenrod city. Just Runt in the background face palming at Corey trying to look cool and fighting over a kabob with Vlad. How cute baby Ty hatching from an egg is. That dance dance evolution segment where Speckles is so cute while dancing and Runt hilariously got good. Team interactions are my favorite part of Nuzlocke comics, and that page hits it out of the park. I like Kira and Celia, and how they want to do more but they grew up in a strict environment, and their dynamics with Ty and Corey's team are great. Still I like how you portrayed Runt's death. Almost never in nuzlockes do humans directly cause a death like that. It fits well in the tone of your world, of journeys being generally safe but then team rocket... That slash and then all of the white feathers shocked me, and it settled in along with the characters what just happened. Still just everyone having to explain to Omelette what just happened :(. I read the hard pills to swallow meme you made before reading the page, and man did that meme sink in.

I wish I could read all of it, but the pages you marked as mature make it pretty much impossible for anyone without a deviant art account to read them. I was able to follow the story decently well from the pages I could read, but I feel like I missed out on something. Why do I feel like I missed out on Garrett screaming with every other word being a curse word at Ty that a pokemon's only purpose is to fight?

Thank you so much for your comment!!! It means the world to me. I'm so glad you are enjoying all the characters and their interactions. And I really appreciate the fact that you took the time to write this all out and give your full thoughts!

I'm so sorry about the unreadable pages!!! Thanks for calling it to my attention. The problem SHOULD be fixed now (and you definitely missed stuff by not reading the mature chapters!) The chapters that were blocked before are chapters 16, 18, and 20 parts 1 and 2.

If you still can't read them, please let me know. Thank you!

pkmnMasterWheeler

Maker of Too Many Comics
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Cute
Ayy! Just started readin this locke and had a blast the whole way through!~ I love Corey and Ty's relationship (ayy fellow trainer and starter see each other as brothers dynamic~) and always love a protagonist who's got a good passion for takin on the gym challenge~ And a starter too! Maybe i just dun read enough lockes, but i feel like i dun see many comics where both trainer and starter have that same passion and can play off each other with it!~ Also I forgot this was a nuzlocke just in time to get slapped in the face by the first death :'3

Velink

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 27, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Ah! finally I am up-to date!
damn! Vlad's really packing a nice chest hair (?)
This story is progressing pace is pretty nice!
The relation between characters are pretty nice too!
Hopefully Ty and Corey will go the distance! god speed!

GECKO

Lizards.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2020
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Thank you so much for giving it a read!! Glad you're liking it!

ACottontail

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
I love Kira and Celia's faces when they're asking everyone not to go. At this point it seems like Garret really likes trying to mess with others. First he joins the team solely just to troll Corey, and now he's trying to troll fully evolved pokemon by not evolving. Still it's nice that they decided to help that little Snubbull, why am I hearing the monster house music starting to play? That was a really nice subversion that exploited Ty's willingness to hurt others. Vlad is a pillow now, and I can imagine a really cute scene of Omelette using Vlad as a pillow.

Kadew

sometimes life really is quite lovely
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
If you encounter a wild Kadew, best practice is to gently bully her into remembering that she loves to draw. She forgets, sometimes.
Oh this is such a charming comic! I love the dynamic between the Bros, Ty and Corey make a great pair of main characters, and the art is simple but expressive. One criticism though, more of the presentation than of the comic: is there a place where it is easier to read through the archive of comic pages, such as comicfury or a deviantart gallery? If so, you should definitely link it in the OP. It's kinda tiresome for a new reader to open 20 or 30 individual tabs to read through it all, and I'd hate to see people bounce off this delightful comic due to it being inconvenient to read.

GECKO

Lizards.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2020
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
I love Kira and Celia's faces when they're asking everyone not to go. At this point it seems like Garret really likes trying to mess with others. First he joins the team solely just to troll Corey, and now he's trying to troll fully evolved pokemon by not evolving. Still it's nice that they decided to help that little Snubbull, why am I hearing the monster house music starting to play? That was a really nice subversion that exploited Ty's willingness to hurt others. Vlad is a pillow now, and I can imagine a really cute scene of Omelette using Vlad as a pillow.
Garrett lives to f**** with people

Vlad body pillow merch when?

ACottontail

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
I love Speckle's decision to join the team. It really feels like a natural progression of her wanting to be a magician, to deciding she can put on a show for others during battles. Being a master would make her pretty famous. All of this on top of her growing friendship with the others. It's heartwarming to see that Ty wants to learn how to protect the his friends. To be just like Runt who inspired him. It's nice that he has a positive lasting impact even if he's gone. I don't like where this super ominous team Rocket plot is going, can we go back to arcades and photo booths? Or have they already struck the point of no tonal return? I hope everyone can stay safe, but knowing this is a nuzlocke...

GECKO

Lizards.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2020
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
I love Speckle's decision to join the team. It really feels like a natural progression of her wanting to be a magician, to deciding she can put on a show for others during battles. Being a master would make her pretty famous. All of this on top of her growing friendship with the others. It's heartwarming to see that Ty wants to learn how to protect the his friends. To be just like Runt who inspired him. It's nice that he has a positive lasting impact even if he's gone. I don't like where this super ominous team Rocket plot is going, can we go back to arcades and photo booths? Or have they already struck the point of no tonal return? I hope everyone can stay safe, but knowing this is a nuzlocke...
"Point of no tonal return" is fantastic. I'm definitely stealing that phrase :P

GECKO

Lizards.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2020
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Chapter 26 is up! The team finally arrives at Olivine City!

satanicswirlix

#1 Sinnoh Fan
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
Animator and artist, lover of Pokémon. Check out my animated nuzlocke, before my arm ends up in a cast!
I would die for all your Pokemon

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Robot lover by day, robot lover by night as well. This Pokemon spits out a comic page about once a month before scuttling back into its room.
Finally got caught up with this. comic and ohhh man. OHHHH MAN was it a fantastic read. I just could not put it down once I started and it kept me hooked the entire time.
There's so much charm in this comic, especially with the characters. Corey and Ty especially are just so loveable and they play off of each other so well. It's neat to see a Pokemon adopted into a human family, and just the way Ty's family defends him and reassures him that he's a part of the family... aaaa man that really got to me ;; It was a super interesting take, I love seeing more supportive families in Nuzlockes!
The other characters are great too, they really kept me wanting to read to see where the journey would take them. All of the relationships are fantastic, just aaaaa, the writing in this comic is so good and funny and loveable!! Really love the art style too, it's so cute but also allows the characters to express themselves and it's just so charming. So happy I finally got the chance to read it, you've done a fantastic job with the comic thus far and I'm so excited to see where the characters head next!!

ACottontail

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
Vlad is living the life with that drink setup. Still I'm glad that someone finally said how imagining people in their underwear doesn't really work. And now if you excuse me I have a team rocket Honchcrow to fight. Don't you dare ruin this comic's happiness you bird. Still I noticed in the beginning Corey and Ty caught Runt even though pokemon rights have been advanced. I wonder what the situation is for catching pokemon now that they have rights. Do they have consent laws? If so I wonder how they convinced Runt to come with them at first? He's a bit hard to read since he doesn't talk much and mostly sprouts a grumpy expression. Though it's clear that he truly came to care about Ty and the others as he continued to be on the team.

GECKO

Lizards.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2020
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Dragon
Pokédex Entry

GECKO

Lizards.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2020
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Hey y'all! Chapter 27 is up!

Polymori

A Hot Mess
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon has an over-active imagination and creates more stories than any sane person should.
WAh Today's page is great! a Long one too 👀
Poor Ty ;n; I can imagine it'd be hard to start thinking about how to hurt and maim when he's not much into that and is in it for sport and entertainment, not causing harm. Sadly having to do so to keep those he cares for safe might end up a necessary evil ;n; Poor boy.

Damn poor Omlette tho. Baby just keeps getting swiped. ANd Rocket's sure are causing a lot of trouble, huh? Hopefully Corey and the tea mcan find a way to keep Omlette safe or at least protect him from Rocket's a little easier ;~;

ACottontail

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
I love how Speckles smacks that Hochcrow with a giant fly swatter. Still that was a close one with Garret, I'm getting war flashbacks as the Kadabra pinned him down and the girl with the knife. Though I wonder why is team rocket so adamant on getting Omelette specifically? In part 21 there were those pokemon with the red eyes, and I assume team rocket did that too them. I think what the Umbreon is referring to is team rocket planning to do that to all pokemon, except those like Umbreon that willingly work for them. I assume they need a psychic type to emit the psychic mind control waves which I'm guessing will involve the radio tower. But why Omelette specifically? It would probably be easier to just catch another psychic type if they needed something with psychic powers, and if they need a Togepi why go after the one who knows to expect them and has escaped multiple times?

GECKO

Lizards.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2020
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Grass, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
WAh Today's page is great! a Long one too 👀
Poor Ty ;n; I can imagine it'd be hard to start thinking about how to hurt and maim when he's not much into that and is in it for sport and entertainment, not causing harm. Sadly having to do so to keep those he cares for safe might end up a necessary evil ;n; Poor boy.

Damn poor Omlette tho. Baby just keeps getting swiped. ANd Rocket's sure are causing a lot of trouble, huh? Hopefully Corey and the tea mcan find a way to keep Omlette safe or at least protect him from Rocket's a little easier ;~;
It's a bad situation for everyone all around :( thanks for reading!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)