• Ten years and still kicking! Nominations are here for the 2020 Nuzforums Extravaganza! #HappyNuzYear
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
Thread Description
A PMD: Gates to Infinity Dungeonlocke | On Hiatus; PART ONE NOW COMPLETE

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Nice twist on the early events of GtI, having the Timburr build the sanctuary instead of Gurdurr. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens from here on out.

TerryTheTeryx

Gen Z Degenerate
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Rock
Pokédex Entry
A bizarre Pokémon who dislikes many social activities. She appears to have a penchant for peanut butter and learning foreign languages.

JavierE64

Masks are so 2016!!! But don´t forget to wear one
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Pokédex Entry
The Master of both Light and Darkness; who loves the Violent and Dramatic, and the Fun and Adorable.
This chapter was a nice change of pace, with everyone standing up against Gurdurr and making the best they could do with their situation.
I can only look forward to their future endeavors from now on.

Uberle

Lur King
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
Stays in the distortion dimension where no one bothers him
This was a nice update
A lot calmer than the previous which gives good breathing room

Interesting concept with the names thing
Makes sense in this world
Fun little thing to keep in mind

Yeah Gurdurr just letting them go seems about right
He’s not going out of his way to fight
Though this probably isn’t the last of him
Just a feeling I have for some reason

Catrin seems to have mellowed out
Relatively speaking
Still pretty much the same but nice to see he’s managed to calm down

And a happy(ish) ending
Nice to see one here
Things have been a tad gloomy lately

Salt&PepperBunny

Formerly MouseWithADinosaurTail
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Rabbits are so human. Or perhaps, humans are so rabbit?
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks as always for your responses and engagement, yo! It means the world, more than you know! :D
Nice twist on the early events of GtI, having the Timburr build the sanctuary instead of Gurdurr. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens from here on out.
Thank you! It was definitely one of the changes I was looking forward to! I like the timburr a lot, I wanted to give them more space to shine as opposed to Gurdurr.

Mr. Krabby.
:)

This chapter was a nice change of pace, with everyone standing up against Gurdurr and making the best they could do with their situation.
I can only look forward to their future endeavors from now on.
I'm glad you think so! I think after all the shit that's happened in the story so far, the characters exercising agency over a situation would feel refreshing and maybe a little relieving. Hopefully our heroes can learn to do it more and more! Maybe

This was a nice update
A lot calmer than the previous which gives good breathing room

Interesting concept with the names thing
Makes sense in this world
Fun little thing to keep in mind

Yeah Gurdurr just letting them go seems about right
He’s not going out of his way to fight
Though this probably isn’t the last of him
Just a feeling I have for some reason

Catrin seems to have mellowed out
Relatively speaking
Still pretty much the same but nice to see he’s managed to calm down

And a happy(ish) ending
Nice to see one here
Things have been a tad gloomy lately
Yeah, I'm glad to provide the little break from all the intense stuff! And yes, it is true, Catrin is capable of calming down. The world is shocked!
I also feel like I was supposed to make an announcement, but, I can't remember what it was. I may come back and edit it in later.

Chapter Ten: The All-Powerful Savior
"Now, this is more like it."

Catrin and Elaine sat side by side against a boulder, watching the timburr work. Elaine had to admit, for little pokemon, they were impressive! Deryn was organizing materials they'd bought in town, piles of stone and buckets of cement and paint, while Aeddan ran around clearing land. The kid was apparently a lot more, er, energetic than his first impression gave off. He was running around the clearing, punching boulders into oblivion with fighting-type moves and laughing with glee. Even Deryn was managing a smile. Apparently, these timburr were at their happiest when building!

Catrin sighed and leaned back. Elaine could still see a twinge of unhappiness in his eyes; he was still bothered from the timburr's revelation, no doubt. But for once, it seemed like he was keen to leave this mess behind him, and Elaine had no plans on ruining that by bringing up Deryn's manipulation again. "We'll have a roof over our heads, and I'm finally starting to make progress on this sanctuary thing. Took long enough."

"It'll be nice to have somewhere warm to sleep! Maybe if we had a fireplace, I could make fires?" Elaine suggested with a big grin.

Catrin's ears, which had been drooping, flicked up as he looked at her. "It is definitely handy that you became a fire-type. You're probably the only one in the world."

"I'm a special girl," Elaine said, wagging her tail. She didn't know why she was getting the urge to shake her butt just 'cause she was in a good mood. She'd mull that over later. "So uh, tell me more about this sanctuary stuff. I don't think you ever mentioned it before?"

Catrin raised a brow at her. "Why did you think I was purchasing the land?"

She shrugged. "I-I don't know! That's just a thing people do!" He looked away from her, so she prodded his arm with her hoof. "Come on, tell me! I'm a part of this, too, aren't I?"

Catrin nodded. "Yes, yes, you're right. I apologize for being evasive, Savior." He dusted himself off, adjusted his cloak, and explained. "When the sun went dark, the land became lawless very quickly. The Church lost control of a lot of the populace, so there was little they could do in the way of enforcing laws. So instead, they began to build sanctuaries: places across the continent that serve and protect honest pokemon. They provide shelter, food, protection, medical services, anything pokemon may need in a world like this."

"Sounds amazing. Like Pink Cross!" Elaine said.

Catrin shrugged. "I suppose, if you believe it's effective to treat the symptoms rather than the disease. Regardless, it's what my church does. I was sent to establish a sanctuary in the far north. However, I did not expect my coming here to coincide with the arrival of the Savior." He glanced her way, and Elaine squirmed. He was staring at her tail with an unreadable expression. "I didn't want to come here regardless, but now that I am your pokemon guide, the sanctuary feels like... a distraction. I don't know."

He curled his tail around himself, and Elaine frowned. She had to admit, he had a point. If she and Catrin were supposed to save the world, everything else felt kinda inconsequential. Hopefully, the world wouldn't need these sanctuary things once the sun was back. Hopefully. But...

"Well, when it comes to the world-saving, uh... I gotta admit, I'm not really sure where to start." Her Dumbo ears drooped.

Catrin's shoulders hunched, and after a long pause, he murmured, "Me too..."

"Does the prophecy, uh, say anything about what we're supposed to do?"

"I'm supposed to guide you," Catrin said, "But other than that, I'm not sure. I was always under the impression that your journey is meant to find you, not the other way around, but I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense. Maybe at some point, something will call you?" He groaned and pulled his hood down over his eyes. "I apologize, Savior, my guidance is really unhelpful in this regard."

"Hey, it's okay! We're both new at this," Elaine said. "Maybe in the meantime, let's just focus on this? You don't wanna neglect your missionary stuff, and I think it'd be good to help out how I can before my, uh, journey calls us. We could probably make something really cool."

Catrin nodded and swished his tail. "If this is your instinct, Savior, it's wise to follow it. I will gladly build a sanctuary if someone such as yourself endorses it. I believe when word gets out that the Savior is here, pokemon will come from all over to make use of our sanctuary!"

"A-ah..." Elaine sputtered, and Catrin glanced at her and pricked his ears. "Maybe we, uh, shouldn't keep telling people who I am?"

He narrowed his eyes. "Why not?"

"C-cause, maybe it would attract bad attention? And, I dunno, it makes me feel weird! I just want a little privacy. For now." Catrin continued to stare at her, and she felt her skin crawl under his gaze. "I-it's like the name thing. You pokemon don't tell each other your names right away 'cause it's private, right? Well, the savior stuff is like that to me. Private." She coughed. "If that makes sense."

Catrin stared at her hard for another moment, and then he gave an exasperated sigh that sounded a bit like a groan. "Very well, Savior. Your wish is my command."

Catrin got up and padded over to Deryn. The two of them began to talk, but Elaine didn't listen in. She had a sour taste in her mouth. Whether she liked it or not, she and Catrin were partners in whatever this was to the bitter end. She knew it was silly to get upset since Catrin had agreed to keep her privacy, but...

Ugh. Enough angst, Elaine, get over it.

She got to her feet and trotted over to Catrin and Deryn. She heard something about materials and gold before she butted her big tepig snoot into the conversation. "Hey y'all! What're we talking about?"

Deryn blinked in surprise. "O-oh, hello, Tepig! I was just telling Oshawott about, ah..."

"We've come to realize our budget is smaller than we anticipated." Catrin crossed his arms and sighed. "According to Timburr, we only have enough materials for single house. And the budget I received from the Church is already exhausted."

Deryn nodded and held her pipe in both hands. "Yes. That."

"Oh. Well, that's not good," Elaine said. "Anything we can do about it? Maybe we could find work in town?"

"I have something like that in mind," Catrin sighed. "Most towns have job bulletin boards for local pokemon who need help. The only problem is these jobs often require entering mystery dungeons."

"Frightful places," Deryn whimpered with a nervous smile.

"Oh, well then just send me! I don't got a problem with mystery dungeons," Elaine shrugged.

Deryn gasped and cupped her cheeks. Her eyes were sparkling with a look that could only be read as So brave! Meanwhile, Catrin looked like Elaine just said she'd happily walk off a cliff. "Savior, don't be foolish. You are not going into a dungeon alone. Let's go check the bulletin board together. See what postings are there."

"Sounds good!"

Catrin padded off towards town, and Elaine said, "See you later, Timburr!" to Deryn before galloping after him. Since Gurdurr had revealed it, Elaine was always tempted to use Deryn's name now. Calling her Timburr felt kinda awkward. But she was trying to be mindful to the culture here. She didn't think Deryn would be comfortable with that, and in fact, it seemed pretty assholish of Gurdurr to just drop her name in a room full of strangers. But, the past was in the past.

Catrin and Elaine padded through the red, rocky maze of their property, passed Quagsire's house (he wasn't home, which made Elaine frown), and walked through the crossroads into Post Town. As soon as they came through the big, wooden arch, Catrin said, "Ah, there," and pointed to an old, rickety bulletin board next to the kecleon shop. There weren't a lot of townsfolk out today, just the shopkeeps at their shops and a lillipup and swadloon (again without the leaf clothes, it was weird) chasing each other and laughing in the square. It was the most wholesome thing Elaine had seen in days. They padded straight up to the board, and Elaine angled her tail so they could read the fliers. The board was so overstuffed that there were a dozen or so papers pinned on each tack. Some had even been ripped down and were crumpled on the ground.

"Does this board get checked a lot?"

"I doubt it. These boards used to mainly be frequented by rescue and exploration teams, but HAPPI fell apart a year or two after the sun went. Only the desperate take these jobs." He spat the last sentence and glared at the board like it had called his mom fat. "Now, which should we take...?"

Elaine looked over the board. All the fliers were written in those swirling, squiggly letters that she still couldn't read. She kinda wished she had automatic translation powers like the TARDIS had (shut up, she hadn't watched an episode of Doctor Why since middle school, it was a PHASE). However, one flier drew her eye. It didn't have an illustration like a lot of the others, but there was something about the letters. They were jagged and wild, like they'd been written in a panic. Something about it made her heart pound.

She pulled it down with her teeth (which was weirdly starting to feel natural) and handed it to Catrin. "Can you read this?" she said through the paper.

Catrin took the letter from her and held it out before his nose in his webbed fingers. He squinted and cleared his throat. "Dear heroes, Please help me, I'm lost! I went to Stompstump Peak, I didn't think it'd be this hard. I just wanted the treasure, but... I can't find my way out! I don't have many supplies. Please come help! -Dunsparce." Catrin narrowed his eyes at the bottom of the page. "There's no reward listed."

"I think we should go."

Catrin gave Elaine a weird look. "Why? Just sounds like some idiot kid who planted more than he could water."

"Well, they're in trouble! I want to help them," Elaine said.

Catrin stared at her for a long moment and then pinched the bridge of his nose. "Savior, I implore you. We need to raise money to buy materials for the sanctuary. If we run off trying to rescue every idiot child who stumbles into a mystery dungeon, it'll be decades before we build a proper sanctuary!"

With a grin, Elaine took the paper back from Catrin and trotted off. "Well, I'm the Savior, and I say we should go." She smiled innocently.

Catrin stared at her for a long time. His expression was exasperated as all hell, and she watched him physically clench his jaw to stop himself from shouting at her. He took in a shaky breath, exhaled, and then stormed up to her. "Fine."

"Glad you agree!" Elaine trotted off out of Post Town, and Catrin followed her with a sour expression. Funny enough, she couldn't bring herself to care. If Catrin wanted to treat her like the All-Powerful Savior, it was his bed to lie on. Stompstump Peak, here she came!

Last edited:

Uberle

Lur King
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
Stays in the distortion dimension where no one bothers him
Shorter update, but that's fitting as it seems to just set stuff up for later

The Timburr seem to be a lot happier in their current place so that's nice to see

>Doctor Why
>Doctor
>Why

Um
How
How did that rescue notice get there?
If the Dunsparce is lost, how did he get to that board to post a flyer?
Also how long has it been there?
I can't tell if I'm over thinking this or is that is a detail that somehow both Catrin and Elaine overlooked

JavierE64

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Pokédex Entry
The Master of both Light and Darkness; who loves the Violent and Dramatic, and the Fun and Adorable.
Is kinda sad, and yet fully understandable, to hear about HAPPI´s fall.
But it´s nice to see Elaine and Catrin making the first steps of their rescuing ventures, specially since it involves a very particular Pokemon.

Salt&PepperBunny

Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Shorter update, but that's fitting as it seems to just set stuff up for later

The Timburr seem to be a lot happier in their current place so that's nice to see

>Doctor Why
>Doctor
>Why

Um
How
How did that rescue notice get there?
If the Dunsparce is lost, how did he get to that board to post a flyer?
Also how long has it been there?
I can't tell if I'm over thinking this or is that is a detail that somehow both Catrin and Elaine overlooked
The flyer thing will be explained! Eventually. A while from now, I'll admit, but I promise it mostly makes sense that it's there.

Is kinda sad, and yet fully understandable, to hear about HAPPI´s fall.
But it´s nice to see Elaine and Catrin making the first steps of their rescuing ventures, specially since it involves a very particular Pokemon.
Ooooooh yeh~ :3c

Oh, right, editing this in cause I almost forgot to mention. After a good several months of procrastination, we FINALLY have a cover for Part One of Solstice! Hells yeah! You can check it out under the tab if you wanna see! And seriously fuck you nuzforums for crunching the picture quality to hell. >:(

Chapter Eleven: A Little Bit of Love
“Oh, hey! This place is actually pretty nice?”

The statement came out as a question, 'cause up till now, Elaine hadn't seen anything she'd describe as “pretty nice” in this world. But when she and Catrin arrived at Stompstump Peak, she had to admit that this fit the description. The mystery dungeon was three-peaked, rocky hill with waterfalls flowing down from the highest, centermost peak. The waterfalls slid down to the two lower peaks, pooling briefly before flowing to the ground. The streams joined into a single river that wove off to the southwest. The cool spray flowed through her hair, cleared her lungs, and watered her crops. It was lovely! Almost lovely enough to offset the unsettling waves the mystery dungeon gave off.

Catrin stared at it for a long time with narrowed eyes. “For a mystery dungeon, it's actually quite stable. Most of them can't maintain streams.” He padded forward and dipped into the water. “Let's check the central cave first.”

Elaine padded up to the water, but as soon as her hoof touched the stream, she jolted back. “Agh! What the hell?!”

Catrin, who was already halfway across the river, whirled around at Elaine's cry. “What is it? What's wrong?!”

“Ah, sorry, nothing! The water just... burned me?” She shook off her hoof and stuck it on her mouth for a moment before realizing she was licking her wounds like a pokemon and awkwardly pulled it back out.

The gears turned in Catrin's head for a second before he hissed. “Damn. I apologize, Savior, I forgot the water is too cold for fire-types.”

“Too cold?” Elaine blinked.

Catrin flipped around and floated on his back with his paws tucked on his belly, and Elaine nearly died on the spot. Holy shit, he was doing the oshawott thing! He was doing the oshawott thing where they float on their backs! IT WAS SO FLIPPING CUTE!

“Fire-types are susceptible to extreme cold. Without sunlight, the water in this world is hardly short of freezing. You won't be able to touch it for long.”

“O-oh. Yeah, sucks.” Oh Dragon, oh Dragon, oh dragon, Catrin was flipping adorable!

“Our new plan should be to investigate the smaller caves first and see if we can find a way to get you over to the central cave for further searching.”

“Cool. Let's get going, then!” Elaine turned and started to pad off, but she heard nothing but burbling water behind her and turned to see Catrin hadn't moved. He was still floating in the water, rocking slightly like a boat. “Uhh... you coming?”

“Just a moment.” After a pause, Catrin flipped over and disappeared underwater. Elaine hurried over to the river's edge. Had he found something down there? Like a wishing coin? Or a dead body? But she squinted to see Catrin was just swimming around in circles, and when he breached the surface again, he sighed contentedly and actually smiled.

He brushed the wet fur out of his eyes and promptly realized Elaine was staring at him. “Er... Apologies. The water is, erm, good for sore muscles.” He clambered out of the water, shook his fur out like a lillipup, and padded upstream on all fours. “Come along, Savior.”

Elaine stared after him with a smile before trotting after him. What a good, swimmy boy!

They followed the right-side stream to the base of the hill, where the water spilled down the rockface and blasted upon the stones. There was a small cave mouth just to the left of it. Stompstump Peak had a fainter aura than Stony Cave and Hazy Pass, but she still started to feel it: that wrongness emanating from the cave, the sense of a break in the universe's code. She was starting to get used to it a little more, and this dungeon was less intense than others, but it still made her skin crawl.

“Stay close to me,” Catrin said. He dropped on all fours and padded into the cave, and Elaine followed after him.

The soft light of Elaine's tail revealed that the cave they entered was surprisingly beautiful. The roar of the waterfall echoed faintly through the rock like a distant purr. Water droplets plink plonk'd on puddles strewn across the floor, and the air was wet and heavy like a Castelia summer day. The shine of her tail left bright white streaks where it hit the wet rock.

“It's like a waterfall cave. This place is cool!” Elaine said. “Once, Jamal and I were playing Two Weeks, and we found this really cool cave behind a waterfall on the Vivid Bells map. We got a bunch of cool skins in there!”

“Yeah, I have no idea what that means,” Catrin muttered in a voice that suggested he wasn't listening. He sniffed at the air, ears erect, eyes alert, tail raised straight in the air. “I don't smell any pokemon.”

“Good! That means we won't run into any Lost,” Elaine said. She swallowed her hurt feelings from Catrin ignoring her. He was a pokemon; had she really expected him to understand anything about video games?

“It's possible. Lost don't leave much of a scent, however, so keep your guard up. We'll investigate the rest of this cave.”

With Catrin in the lead, the two of them walked cautiously through the cave. The only sounds were the plopping and sloshing of their feet through the puddles and the distant purr of the waterfall outside. With the knowledge that only a Lost could have come through before them, Elaine's body was tense like a wound-up spring, ready to jump at the slightest movement, and a puff of smoke fell out of her nose at every breath. No way was anyone gonna get the jump on her!

At the other side of the cavern, they came to a staircase leading up into the mountain. “Well, that was quick,” said Elaine.

“At least we can trust the stairs,” Catrin muttered. He led the way up, and Elaine followed him carefully on her hooves. She nearly slipped on the wet staircase at every step, but she went slowly and cautiously and managed not to fall too far behind Catrin. A faint wisp of light appeared ahead in the dark tunnel, and they emerged on the peak of the left hill.

Piles of wet rock and boulders surrounded the exit of the cave on all sides. The waterfall cascading from the tallest peak splashed all across the rocks, and the touch of the spray sent waves of revulsion through Elaine's body. “Agh, come on! Why with the water, it's so coooooold!” She scampered out of the way and ducked behind a boulder. It shielded her from the spray at least somewhat, so she poked her head back out to Catrin, who hadn't moved. “See anyone up here?”

Catrin, who'd just been staring at her, looked around and took a few quick sniffs at the air. “No. There's nothing up here. A waste of time.”

Elaine frowned. Well, it'd been worth it to check, hadn't it? Dunsparce could've been up here for all they knew! She took one last look around at the peak of the hill, the water spraying over the rocks like a rainfall. Catrin was already halfway back into the tunnel. Elaine got out from behind the boulder and moved quickly to follow him, trying not to get sprayed again, but suddenly stopped.

She'd only seen it out of the corner of her eye. It was easy to miss-see in this dark, bleak world where her tail was the only light source for miles. But leaning close, eyes narrowed, she realized what she'd seen: an ear twitch. There was a silhouette hidden just by the roaring waterfall, almost still as stone. The shadow of a pokemon.

Terror spiked through Elaine. She reeled back and screamed. “CATRIN! A Lost!”

Catrin immediately flew back into the open, fur puffed out like an angry dog. He followed Elaine's gaze and in a microsecond blasted a water gun towards the shadow. Elaine expected to hear the thunk of the water connecting with its target, but to her shock, the pokemon dodged into the air with lightning speed.

And to her further surprise, the pokemon spoke. Not in whispered, ragged gasps, but a real, proper voice. “Whoa there! Isn't someone a little trigger happy!”

Elaine sighed. “Oh, thank the Dragon! It's not a Lost.”

Catrin, however, didn't look at all relieved. He was tense, crouching on all fours and snarling. “Whoever you are, come down here this instant! I will fire again!”

To Elaine's surprise, the pokemon didn't come down. It opened what looked like wings and started to glide above them, frustratingly out of the reach of her light. It had a more masculine voice, a bit high-pitched and nasally like the voice effects from Arvin and the Pachirisus, but (thankfully) less migraine-inducing. “And why should I? You look a lil' wound up, Oshawott! I'm already wet from the waterfall, I don't wanna get soaked even more!” The pokemon let out a chattering laugh.

Catrin snarled, and in response, he blasted another water gun. The pokemon had been gliding so lazily that Elaine was surprised to see him dodge like a bullet. “Psh, you asked for it!” Harsh white light sparked around the pokemon, and he launched a shot of electricity at Catrin. It was fast, way too fast for anything to dodge, and the attack connected with Catrin's back. He let out a cry and sprang back, and a tiny crack followed the blast like miniature thunder.

“Don'tcha know water and lightning don't mix? Eheheheheh!”

As the pokemon tucked in his wings and lighted down, Elaine's eyes widened. She thought she'd seen it, for a split second when the lightning struck, but she couldn't have been sure. But as the pokemon gently glided down into her ring of light, he came properly into view, and it was none other than-

“An emolga!” Elaine couldn't help it; she smiled! She smiled wide, and her heart bloomed! Every region in the world had its mascots. Most went by their starters, but plenty of regions celebrated their native electric rodent as well. Emolgas were practically THE Unovan pokemon. Seeing a piece of home, so far from home, Elaine couldn't help it. Happy tears pricked at her eyes.

“At your service,” Emolga said with a flashy grin. He had a pink-white band wrapped around his forehead just under his ears, tied in the back with the loose ends flowing out behind him. He almost looked like a martial artist, which was absolutely adorable considering the pokemon was only half Catrin's size! His fur was somewhat ragged, a pretty common trait in the pokemon of this world, but there was something different about him. His eyes glittered, free from the tiredness and sadness worn by so many in this world. This emolga looked alive.

Catrin stormed forward, snarling like a menace. His cloak was singed where Emolga had hit him. “What the HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?! You could've hurt me!”

Catrin towered over the other pokemon, but Emolga carried himself like Catrin was a cutiefly challenging him rather than an oshawott. “Maybe next time, don't blast water at pokemon you don't know? Eheheheh.”

“YOU COULD'VE BEEN A LOST!” Catrin raged. “MAYBE DON'T SKULK IN THE SHADOWS LIKE SOME SORT OF CRIMINAL!”

“And maybe don't attack people like some sort of criminal!” With a big smile, Emolga reached out a paw and tapped Catrin on the nose. “Boop!”

Catrin growled like a lawn mower and raised his claws to attack again, but Elaine butted in between them. No way was she going to let Catrin ruin an interaction with such a lovable pokemon. “Alright, no more fighting! Let's save our energy for the actual Lost we may have to fight here.”

“Stompstump Peak hasn't been a dungeon long. No Lost here!” Emolga said with a big grin. Then, his grin fell away somewhat, and he scratched his ear. “I hope, at least. Hey uh, have you guys seen a dunsparce around here? Little guy, kinda doofy looking?”

Elaine blinked in surprise, and she and Catrin exchanged glances. “Are you looking for Dunsparce? We are, too! We found a job posting for it in Post Town.”

Emolga grinned wide. “Oh! Oh, sweet! Hey, if we're all here doing the same job, wanna look together? Your tail light would be a big help, Tepig!”

Catrin snarled. “Absolutely n-”

“Yes! We’d love to!” Elaine pushed Catrin behind her and beamed down at Emolga. This was the best thing that had happened to her since getting here!

Emolga grinned as well. “Sweet!”

Catrin butt his way past Elaine, still snarling like a menace. “Excuse me! I don’t believe I quite approve of this! This emolga is annoying, and quite frankly, I don’t trust any pokemon who skulks around a mystery dungeon like a criminal. He might be the reason Dunsparce is missing in the first place!”

Emolga puffed out his lip at that, but Elaine groaned before he could respond. “Come oooooonnn, Catrin, it’ll be fine! It’ll be easier if we all work together!”

Elaine had meant her words to be comforting, but Catrin suddenly glared at her with wild eyes, and his lips curled back in a snarl. She backed up quickly, not understanding what she’d done to make her guide snarl at her like she was the next pokemon he was gonna rip apart! But then, it hit her.

Oh. Oh no. She’d said his name. In front of a stranger.

Elaine sucked in a breath and started to say, “Shit, Oshawott, I’m so-” But Emolga started to giggle, cutting her off.

Catrin and Elaine both looked at Emolga, who was near beside himself in laughter. He clutched his stomach with his small, pink paws, laughing like a madman. “Ahahahahahahaha! Oh my Sun, AhahahaHAHAHAHAHAHA! Your name is Catrin?! THAT’S A GIRL’S NAME!”

Emolga doubled over in a fit of laughter, falling onto his back and kicking at the air with his feet. Unfortunately for Elaine, Emolga’s laughter was contagious, and she couldn’t help a couple giggles herself. The idea of her protective, temperamental guide having a girl’s name… Pfffffft. But, she still felt awful. This was the third pokemon she’d now outed Catrin’s name to, which she knew was not an okay thing at all. As Emolga laughed, she shot Catrin an apologetic smile. But he just shot her the nastiest of looks and turned away.

Catrin smacked Emolga on the ear, making him yelp and cutting off his laughter. “If you’re quite finished, Emolga, I’d prefer to get going. We’ll all be Lost before you shut the hell up. Are we searching for Dunsparce together or not?!”

Still snickering, Emolga hopped back up to his feet, wiped some tears from his eyes, and gave Catrin a pat on the shoulder. “Yeah, yeah, girly, sure we can. Let’s get going, y’all! Dunsparce has been here a while, we wanna rescue him quick!” Emolga leaped up and sprang off the top of the hill, gliding down towards the ground by the river. “Let’s check the other small hill next!”

Catrin stared after him, still bearing his teeth. “What a rotten fiend. Stalling for Sun knows how long and then hurrying us.” He shot Elaine another look.

Elaine’s lip quivered. She felt rotten inside; not even an emolga’s presence was boosting her spirits now. “Catrin, I-”

“It’s fine,” Catrin spat. He padded away and muttered, “Just don’t do it again, please,” before slipping down into the tunnel.

Elaine lingered for a moment and let out a sigh. Why was she always doing this? Why was she always letting down her guide, failing to protect him, and getting him hurt in more ways than one? With the two of them unsure how to progress on saving the world, she quite literally had one responsibility for the moment, and that was Catrin.

If this was how badly she botched protecting him, she couldn’t wait to see how badly she was gonna fuck up saving the world.

“Hey Tepiiiiiig! You aren’t paralyzed, are you? Come on down here!”

“O-oh!” Elaine woke up from her thoughts to see Catrin had already met Emolga at the bottom of the hill. “Sorry! Coming!” She slipped into the tunnel, glad to be away from the freezing spray, and dashed all the way down the stairs and out to meet with the group. Emolga’s grin was bright as a flash of lightning. Catrin’s face was sour.

“Alrighty, gang! Let’s move!” Emolga did a little jump in the air and glided towards the other hill. Elaine hurried after him with Catrin taking up the rear. “Hehe, we’re like an old-school rescue team! This is gonna be fun!”

They searched the dungeon with Emolga for some time. They first attempted to investigate the right hill, though it took two tries, seeing as the dungeon somehow misdirected them back to the first hill as soon as they stepped into the second. Elaine’s brain had nearly broken from confusion when they’d entered the right hill and somehow come out on top of the left, and Catrin raged for a moment about “freaking mystery dungeons” before Emolga’s teasing redirected his anger once again. Elaine had to admit that Emolga’s cheer was rubbing off on her. He had an attitude like nothing could go wrong, and every misstep they took was just a part of the fun! After having been in this world for what felt like days (she couldn’t tell how long it’d actually been), that sort of spirit both felt oddly alien and incredibly contagious!

The second time they tried to enter the right hill, they succeeded and made their way to its peak. There was nothing up there but piles of stones and a couple of old, rotting logs. No Lost, thankfully, but no Dunsparce either.

“At this point, I’m wondering if this dunsparce is invisible,” Catrin muttered as he finished checking the hilltop. “Savior, I implore you. This is a waste of time. We should go and earn ourselves some actual pay so the timburr can continue the construction of the sanctuary.”

“But Dunsparce is still in trouble!” Elaine whimpered.

Emolga’s ears pricked at Catrin’s words, and he whirled around and started to snicker. “Oh my Sun. No way. You two are the ones who yoinked Gurdurr’s kids? Eheheheheheheh!”

Elaine looked up in surprise. “You know about that?”

Catrin laid his ears back and narrowed his eyes. “I wasn’t aware you hail from Post Town, Emolga.”

“Eh, I just live nearby! I hear all the gossip. That is HILARIOUS! Nice job giving the old stick-in-the-mud a what for! Ehehehehehehehe!” Emolga held out his paw to Elaine. It took her a second to realize he was offering her a high five, and she grinned and awkwardly smacked his paw with her hoof.

“It makes me rather unsettled that the citizens of Post Town are so incredibly aware of our ongoings,” Catrin muttered, not acknowledging Emolga’s high five offer when he held his paw out to the oshawott.

Emolga snickered. “Dude, of course people are gossiping about you. A church boy in this town, especially one like you? With a fire-type? It’s the most delicious thing that’s happened since the sun dipped out! Heheheh!”

Catrin’s eye twitched, and he curled his lips back so Elaine could see the tips of his sharp, white teeth. He said in a dark tone, “What exactly do you mean by ‘especially one like me?’”

Emolga, either oblivious to the thread or uncaring of it, grinned wide and opened his mouth to reply. But suddenly, a cry cut through the air, causing all of them to whirl around.
“AAAAAAAAAAH! H-H-HELP!”

As the cry rang around them, Elaine suddenly wasn’t on Stompstump Peak anymore. A memory cut through her head, something vague and forgotten like a dream, and a scream rang through her skull. “H-H-H-HELP!” Elaine hissed and clutched her head with a hoof. That cry, where had she heard it before?

Images and whispers were flashing through her head, but she didn't have time to sit down and process them. Emolga and Catrin sprinted to the edge of the hill, and Elaine followed after them, tripping on stones several times in her confusion. She looked down to see a dunsparce racing out from the center cave in a panic with a massive, feathered pokemon chasing him.

“Shit!” Emolga hissed. In the split second before he took off, Elaine looked up in shock at the change in his eyes. That carefree, lackadaisical attitude evaporated like a puddle on a blistering day. Emolga’s eyes were wide and twitching with agitation, and he yelled, “Hang on, Dunsparce, I’m coming!” before leaping off the hill and gliding towards him.

Elaine whirled around and started to run towards the tunnel entrance. “We gotta go help them!” she cried, but skid to a halt when she saw Catrin hadn’t moved. “Aren’t you coming?!”

“We could let Emolga handle this. He’ll be fine against an archeops,” Catrin suggested. “And Dunsparce will be saved. So then we could go home.”

Elaine bristled and shot him an angry look. “I’m not abandoning anyone when I can do something to help!” She dove into the tunnel and sprinted down the stairs. She didn't care whether Catrin followed her or not but by the sound of footsteps behind her, it seemed like he was. Coming to protect the Savior, no doubt.

Elaine burst out from the cave and dashed towards the river. Dunsparce was running like a madman from the archeops, panting and screeching at the top of his lungs, while the archeops gave whispered, breathy roars and launched rocks the size of Dunsparce’s body. Elaine knew right away the creature was a Lost; the icy blue eyes, the voiceless roars, the way it completely ignored the snapped wing it dragged at its side. Knowing what it was, Elaine hesitated for a moment, but Emolga’s cry woke her up again.

“Hey UGLY!” Emolga shouted from the air. His cheeks began to spark. With a cry, “TASTE LIGHTNING, BABY!” he launched a ribbon of electricity that struck the archeops hard in the back. It gave a voiceless cry of pain before launching a rock into the air, and Emolga yelped, “Oh shit,” and rolled aside in a dodge. The archeops launched more and more boulders, forcing Emolga on the defensive. He didn’t have time to charge another attack, and from the look of Emolga’s small, delicate frame, he probably couldn't take a hit.

Elaine narrowed her eyes. Smoke pouring from her nose, she scraped her hoof on the ground and charged. She gunned it for the river, faster and faster, her hooves pounding against the ground. Right on the river’s bank, she leaped-

And face-planted into the river.

“Oh COME ON!” Elaine yelled as the river submerged her up to her neck in icy water. Nearly instantly, the chill grabbed her in iron teeth, and she shook uncontrollably. Oh Dragon, it was cold! It was horribly cold! The river wasn’t deep at all here, not even able to fully submerge her, but her limbs wouldn’t work. Her hooves were already going numb. Her skin sizzled. Why was it so freaking cold?!

“Savior!” She suddenly felt Catrin behind her. The oshawott shoved her out of the river, yanked off his cloak, and hurriedly brushed it over her body, soaking up as much water as she could. Elaine was still shivering, but it already was starting to feel better. “You absolute madwoman, don’t go jumping into cold water! You’re a fire-type!”

“It-t-t-t-t’s all ch-ch-chill, C-Catrin!” Elaine got to her feet, shook out the rest of her fur, and whirled back to the battle. “We’ve g-g-got a bird monster to fight. EN GARDE!”

“Savior, wait!” Catrin cried out, but Elaine was already charging into the fight. No matter what happened, no one here was gonna get hurt on her watch! Emolga was still dodging boulders, blasting little wisps of electricity that dissipated almost as soon as they were summoned, while Dunsparce cowered behind a rock. Elaine bared her teeth, scraped the ground again, and charged! She ran fast, shockingly fast, and within seconds, she bowled into the archeops with her head! The Lost gasped and stumbled, but it was only stunned for a second before it charged at Elaine.

“Oh frick!” Elaine yelped. She dove out of the way, thankfully just in time. A blast of water rocketed from behind her and hit the archeops square in the chest. It gasped again, thoroughly knocked back, and Catrin sprinted forward and lunged at it with a roar, raking his claws across the bird’s face.

It reeled back just in time to take another blast of electricity from Emolga. The archeops choked and stumbled, teetering on its feet, and Elaine charged in for the final hit. Smoke poured out of her nose, her lungs suddenly burned with heat, and a blast of fire erupted from her nose and lunged at the Lost. It gave a voiceless shriek, teetered, and collapsed.

“Whew!” Emolga glided down and landed atop the Lost. “You two’re tough!”

Elaine took a second to hack out the smoke swirling in her lungs and then grinned. “Thanks! You too! You use that electricity real good.”

Emolga smiled at her, but a cough from Catrin interrupted the moment. He looked incredibly annoyed, and without his cloak, he looked weirdly tiny. “If we’re quite finished, I believe our client is currently sniveling behind that rock.”

“Ah! Dunsparce!” Emolga jumped off the archeops and dashed to the boulder on all fours. As he ran over, Dunsparce peered out, eyes flooded with tears. “Emolga! Emolga!” The electric-type leaped and tackled the normal-type in a hug, and the two of them fell to the floor, laughing.

“Ahhhh, I’m so glad to see you! I’m glad you aren’t Lost!” Emolga cheered. He started to pepper Dunsparce’s cheek with kisses, and Dunsparce giggled and gave him one back.

Dunsparce sniffled, eyes wide with gratitude. “Thank you for rescuing me! I-I… I-I was so scared!”

As Dunsparce buried his face in Emolga’s fur and started to cry, Elaine couldn’t help but smile fondly. She could feel it all the way from here. The two pokemon radiated affection and love for each other; it was palpable around them. Memories of Steven running to her in the school halls and wrapping her in a bear hug every morning trickled through her head. She saw hugs from her siblings, elbow bumps from Claire, her little brother Jake crawling into her lap, head rubs from Dad and big kisses from Mom. A warm light shone in Elaine’s heart. So maybe there was still a little love in this world after all.

Catrin started to walk over to the pair on his hind legs, and Elaine trotted after him. He cleared his throat. “Excuse me. If you two are done canoodling, I'd like to remind you that we took the job posting and assisted in Dunsparce's rescue. When can we expect payment?”

Emolga shot Catrin a nasty look and said nothing, but Dunsparce peered out from the electric-type's fur at them, blinking with wide eyes. Elaine's heart warmed again. Dunsparce was absolutely adorable! She was familiar with this kind of pokemon, but she'd only ever seen one once in person, out of the corner of her eye at the zoo's reptile exhibit. But she hadn't expected a reptile to ever be so adorable! Dunsparce had soft yellow scales that glinted in her tail light, with amber eyes big enough to fit the whole world in them. His soft, yellow-white feathered wings curled around his sides. Along with the blue and white stripes on his back, this pokemon also had various blue swirls in his scales, and the sides of his face were ridged like a dragon's. “O-oh, hello. Did you come to rescue me? Thank you, thank you!”

“Yeah, we saw the letter you left in Post Town! But um, how did you manage to leave a job posting if you were lost here?” Elaine asked.

“It's just a mystery dungeon thing,” Catrin muttered. He thrust himself in front of her. “Payment. When.”

“Catrin...” Elaine hissed. Honestly, her guide could be so UGH!

Emolga glowered at Catrin. “Alright, listen here, bud-” he started to say, but Dunsparce interrupted in a quiet voice.

“No, Emolga, it's okay. Oshawott and Tepig came to rescue me. I wanna repay them!” Dunsparce dropped out of Emolga's lap and slithered over to them with his head lowered. “It's nice to meet you both! Do you wanna come to my house? I can get together some money for you there.”

“Sure thing!” Elaine said with a grin. She didn't care about payment. These pokemon had good vibes, and she was down to hang with them for as long as possible! Dunsparce gave her a big grin, and he and Emolga started to head off, so close their fur and scales brushed against each other. As Catrin went to retrieve his cloak, Elaine trotted after them with a skip in her step. Finally, some damn good company!

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
So Catrin has a girl's name. No wonder he doesn't want it shouted out from the rooftops! (Well, besides the whole 'culturally insensitive' thing.)

JavierE64

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Pokédex Entry
The wholesomeness of this chapter is through the roof. Emolga and Dunsparce are a joy to read, and Catrin is as a adorable as ever. It's so great to see some joy in this grim environment.

And speaking of grim, I love how the cover perfectly portraits the atmosphere and tone of the series. Specially with the lack of colors, and Elaine as the only beacon of light.

cyndakip

there goes my luck
🌱Featurer
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Hardy
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Part Cyndaquil, part Mudkip, entirely tired.
That cover looks great! Bleak and gloomy, but still with a spark of light from Elaine.

Catrin floating like an otter is too cute! Underneath his angry exterior, he really is just a good, swimmy boy. Emolga and Dunsparce are also too cute, and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of them!

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
more masculine voice, a bit high-pitched and nasally like the voice effects from Arvin and the Pachirisus, but (thankfully) less migraine-inducing.
Emolga is a pure bean. Why you do this, Elaine. ._.

TerryTheTeryx

Gen Z Degenerate
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Rock
Pokédex Entry
A bizarre Pokémon who dislikes many social activities. She appears to have a penchant for peanut butter and learning foreign languages.
Arvin and the Pachirisus, I’m going to cry.

Salt&PepperBunny

Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
So Catrin has a girl's name. No wonder he doesn't want it shouted out from the rooftops! (Well, besides the whole 'culturally insensitive' thing.)
In hindsight, the culture around names is quite a plus to Catrin. But for real, Emolga and Elaine shouldn't make fun of him, like come on. X.X

The wholesomeness of this chapter is through the roof. Emolga and Dunsparce are a joy to read, and Catrin is as a adorable as ever. It's so great to see some joy in this grim environment.

And speaking of grim, I love how the cover perfectly portraits the atmosphere and tone of the series. Specially with the lack of colors, and Elaine as the only beacon of light.
I'm glad you think so! Chapter eleven was a ton of fun to write, it's great to get some new character dynamics in besides just Elaine and Catrin. And I'm glad you like the cover, thank you!!! It's definitely not black and white because it's way cheaper to print...

That cover looks great! Bleak and gloomy, but still with a spark of light from Elaine.

Catrin floating like an otter is too cute! Underneath his angry exterior, he really is just a good, swimmy boy. Emolga and Dunsparce are also too cute, and I'm really looking forward to seeing more of them!
Thank you! And yes, not even an edgelord like Catrin can resist his good, swimmy roots. And I'm glad you're liking the new kids!

Emolga is a pure bean. Why you do this, Elaine. ._.
Elaine, it's true, but you shouldn't say it.

Arvin and the Pachirisus, I’m going to cry.
You will never stop my pointless renaming of real-world brands.

Chapter Twelve: To Make A Friend
"It's just a little bit further! My house is this way."

Elaine, Catrin, Dunsparce, and Emolga were all walking north towards Post Town along the dirt road, and the atmosphere for once was wonderful. Dunsparce and Emolga led the way, walking (and slithering) side by side. The two hadn't stopped talking since they'd left Stompstump Peak, chattering about Post Town and gossip and what Dunsparce had missed since setting out. Elaine trotted behind them with Catrin in the rear, his eyes near hidden under his hood. She could tell he was agitated, or at the very least annoyed, but in that moment, Elaine didn't give a damn. She was too busy basking in these pokemon's radiance!

"Aw man, you are gonna love Dunsparce's house," Emolga said with a big grin, turning to walk backwards to he could gesture to Elaine with his paws. "He's got all these cool art books from before the sun dipped! And they're in COLOR!"

"They're not that great, Emolga..." Dunsparce hid his face behind one of his feathered wings, blushing. "B-but, I do like to read them when I'm feeling down. They make me smile."

"And you make me smile!" Emolga replied, leaning in to peck Dunsparce on the forehead. Dunsparce grinned wide and nuzzled Emolga in return.

Elaine smiled at them. Oh Dragon, she was going to die. Their cuteness was going to kill her. "Do you live in Post Town, Dunsparce?"

"Mhm! Or, close by, at least. Rent in town is really expensive," said Dunsparce. "And um, all the pokemon in town can be... a little intimidating..." He took on a thousand-yard stare and shuddered.

Elaine sighed. "I feel ya there, buddy. I feel ya there. Swanna seems nice, though!"

"Oh yes, the Signora is very, very nice! She gives me an extra ration sometimes!" Dunsparce flicked his drill tail to and fro.

"She's pretty aight," Emolga shrugged and gave a mischievous smirk. "But you know a lady like that's gotta have secrets. No one keeps a town running without getting into some shady stuff."

Elaine frowned. "I'm sure she's not so bad!" But when she recalled Gurdurr's words at the summit of Hazy Pass, she didn't argue further. Why did she care about Swanna's reputation, anyway? She was practically a stranger.

Catrin spoke up from the back of the party, pleasant as always. "Do you pokemon spend all your time gossiping?"

"Lighten up, Oshawott! We're just havin' fun!" Emolga called. "And wouldn'tcha know it. Here we are!"

Elaine looked up in confusion as he and Dunsparce trailed to the left off the road. She could see the crossroads and Post Town up ahead, but they were still a good distance from town, and there was nothing here but barren rocks, dirt, and dead trees. Where was this house supposed to be? But then, Dunsparce slithered over to a cracked boulder and pulled a carpet of leaves off the ground, and Elaine saw the entrance to a burrow.

"Oh! You live underground! Like, not in a house!"

"It's safe!" Dunsparce said with a nod.

"And free so long as no one catches ya, eheheh," Emolga added with a smirk. Dunsparce blew a raspberry at him, but there was nothing but laughter in the reptile's big, amber eyes.

"Come on in, pals!" Emolga jumped down into the hole, and Dunsparce slithered after him. With a glance back at Catrin to make sure he would follow, Elaine crawled in after them.

The tunnel was unbelievably tight. It made sense, Dunsparce was a small pokemon, not even much bigger than Emolga. The earthen walls pressed on her from all sides as she crawled downwards; she couldn't even see the light of her tail. But thankfully, it didn't last long. After a minute or so, the tunnel opened up into Dunsparce's home.

It was a small, tight burrow, only one room and pretty crowded. Catrin's head brushed against the ceiling as he came in, so the oshawott ducked down onto all fours. The burrow was packed with what Elaine could only describe as memories. Framed illustrations of different pokemon covered the walls and were stacked in piles on the floor; photos of landscapes, of other dunsparces and dragon-types, of plants and berries and flowers. There were quite a few photos (sorry, drawings) of Emolga and Dunsparce together; drawings of them hugging, dancing, kissing, snoozing together. It was so damn heartwarming and adorable that Elaine was almost surprised there wasn't a pride flag strung up in the burrow. There was a nest made of old, dry hay and feathers in the corner, big enough for two, and various fliers on the wall. Elaine couldn't read them, but they had pictures of heroic looking pokemon in scarves and some sort of badge with little wings on its sides.

"Welcome! Ah, sorry i-it's not much," Dunsparce said sheepishly as she and Catrin took a look around.

"I think it's adorable!" Elaine said with a big smile.

Catrin simply humph'd and said, "Our pay?"

Elaine shot him a look, and Dunsparce said quickly, "Right! Yes! I'm sorry, um, let me look." He started to sift through the mess while Emolga leaned against the wall and started to flip through one of the books that had been lying on the floor. "I wanna say again, thank you for coming to my rescue. I didn't think anyone would read that note..." He suddenly whipped around to face them with a big smile. "Are you two a rescue team?"

"A whatnow?" Elaine asked, blinking.

"No. We're just taking jobs at the moment in order to pay for construction materials," Catrin muttered.

Emolga flicked his ear at Dunsparce. "These two're the guys who are building that thing in Quagsire's land."

Dunsparce gasped, looking at them with wide eyes. "Oh! Cool! Hey, um, thank you for helping the timburr. Those two had it really bad with Gurdurr..."

"I don't know the details of what was going on, but I'm glad, too. It seemed like a really yikes situation," Elaine said with a nod. She tried not to think about Deryn's confession. "They'll be safe and happy now!"

"I'm really glad!" Dunsparce said with a smile. "It's so nice to help other pokemon. You helped the timburr, you saved me... You guys are really cool!"

"Awww, I'm not all that." Elaine blushed and waved a hoof.

"Well, I think you're great! I haven't seen a hero in this town in so, so long! It's so awesome!" With a huge smile, Dunsparce slithered over to Elaine and beamed up at her. "My name's Brin. It's really good to meet you both!"

Elaine looked at him in pleasant surprise. What a far cry this was from Deryn and all the pokemon who'd resisted introducing themselves. She couldn't help but feel incredibly warmed. "Awww, well it's nice to meet you, too! You can call me Elaine."

Brin's eyes sparkled. "I will!" He slithered back and prodded Emolga's arm with his nose. "You should introduce yourself too, Emolga!"

"Nah, not everyone's as name-happy as you are, Brin." Emolga chuckled and rubbed Brin's head. "Also, we still owe these guys money."

"Right! Yes! Payment for the heroes," Brin overturned a pile of old books with his tail, and pile of gold coins was revealed underneath. Brin picked them up gently in his lips and set them down in front of Elaine. "I-I hope this will be enough? Um, I can do work, too! If it's not..."

Elaine nudged the coins over to Catrin with her hoof. "It's plenty!"

Catrin picked up the coins, turned one over in his fingers, and scoffed. "Good to know you pay your heroes peanuts for going through quite the ordeal to save you, Dunsparce."

Brin frowned. "I-I'm sorry."

Emolga tch'd from where he was leaning against the wall and shot Catrin a dirty look. "Brin's letter didn't specify a reward, Catrin."

Catrin let out a loud growl and started to storm forward, but Elaine reached out a hoof and blocked him. "The payment is plenty. Thank you very much, Brin." She shot Catrin a look, and he shot her one back but backed up and said nothing more on it.

"We'll be leaving then," said Catrin, "but I think it would be wise not to wander into any more dungeons you're incapable of crawling back out of, Dunsparce."

"Yeah, Brin." Emolga closed the book and sauntered over to Brin, who was staring at the ground. "I know you've got your dreams, but I really gotta ask that you stop doing this. Mystery dungeons aren't a joke."

"I-I know." Brin's lip quivered, and he tucked his wings tight around his body.

"Then you know why I'm asking. It's every month or two I'm going into dungeons tryna find you! I'm glad it was a newer one this time, but you don't always pick the easy ones. Remember Inflora Forest?"

Brin stared at the ground ashamedly. "Y-yeah... B-but it was important this time! I got something, Emolga. Something for her!"

Emolga shook his head and face-palmed, and Elaine looked up, her curiosity piqued. "Oh? You got something from Stompstump Peak?"

Brin nodded excitedly. He unfolded one of his wings to reveal a small geode, which clattered to the ground. "Wow," Elaine breathed. The gem was an absolute sight! The outside of the rock was the familiar ruddy brown of Stompstump Peak, but the inside was glittering with bright, white gemstone that sparkled in the light. What a treasure Brin had found!

"I'd accept that as our payment," Catrin said from behind her. Even his eyes had widened at the sight of the gem.

"I-it's not for you!" Brin cried, wrapping his tail protectively around the geode. "It's a present for a very special pokemon! I can't give it to anyone else!"

"Hey, no worries! No one's trying to take it from you," said Elaine. Brin settled down, and she asked, "Who's it for? A special someone?" She flicked her gaze at Emolga a couple of times.

"Yes! But not Emolga." Brin turned away sheepishly and kneaded at the geode with the tip of his wing. "It's, um... Well, it's for a pokemon I really, really like. I want her to be my friend. I went to get her this, s-so that maybe she'll want to be? I hope it's enough..."

"Brin, my boy, who wouldn't wanna be your friend?" Emolga said with a grin. "She's in town now, probably at the inn. You wanna go give this a shot?"

Brin's eyes stretched wide as the pancakes from Jeff's Diner. (Seriously, those pancakes were huge.) He coiled around himself and tucked in his wings. "N-n-now? B-but, what if she's busy? What i-if her mouth is full when I get there and she can't answer? What if she's in an introvert mood?! I-I should wait, I-"

"Hey. Brin. Brin, Brin, Brin, Brin, Brin." Emolga padded forward and cupped Brin's face with his paws, and the dunsparce fell quiet immediately. "It's gonna go great, okay? She'll love the gift. She'll love you! How could she not? You're Brin, the roughest, toughest dunsparce this town has ever seen! And also my amazing boyfriend." Emolga leaned forward and gave Brin a kiss on the forehead, and Brin's wings fluttered (along with Elaine's heart). He gave a tiny smile.

"... Okay. Okay! I'll do it right now! Live in the moment! I'll be brave like a rescue team!" Brin grabbed an empty cloth pouch from atop a pile of books, tied it around his drill tail, and slipped the geode inside. "To town!" He started to slither past Elaine but then stopped. "Oh, um, hero! Of course, you don't have to, I'm sure you have better things to do. But, um, if you wanna come, I think it'd help a lot. If you wanna."

Catrin scoffed. "Oh, we absolutely have better things to-"

"I'd love to come!" Elaine said with a big grin. This boy was out to make a friend! There was no way in hell she wasn't gonna stand by his side! She knew how hard making new friends could be; she'd spent most of her life just praying friends would make their way to her and had always gotten lucky.

"Oh, thank you!" Brin beamed. "Alright, time to be a hero!" He slithered past Elaine and Catrin out of the burrow, and Emolga followed him out. Elaine moved to leave herself, but Catrin stepped in front of her.

They met eyes. Catrin looked practically exhausted, like all the optimism in the room was draining his Negative Nancy powers. "What, Catrin?" Elaine sighed.

"Savior, I implore you. Stompstump Peak was exhausting. These pokemon are exhausting. We both need to rest and eat, and we really ought to check on the timburr's progress before we take on our next job," Catrin murmured. "Let's go back to the property. Please."

Elaine stared at him hard. Of course he was tired. Constant pessimism must've been pretty damn exhausting. Catrin wasn't in the mood to deal with her new friends, but she wasn't in the mood to deal with Catrin. "You go back to the property, then. I'll be fine with Emolga and Brin."

Catrin gave her a tired, pleading look. "You know I can't leave you alone, Savior."

"No one said you can't! That's just a thing you do cause you're..." Elaine trailed off before she finished the sentence. Obsessed with me. She huffed and looked him in the eye. "Really, if you're tired, go home and rest. But I wanna go support Brin."

Catrin only held her gaze for a few seconds before dropping it and staring at the ground. "Your word is final, Savior. I apologize for testing your authority."

"It's..." It didn't feel right to accept an apology like this, when Elaine didn't even feel the right to any sort of authority. But at that moment, she couldn't be bothered to argue about it. "It's fine. You're fine." She padded past him and out into the tunnel, and Catrin crawled in after her. This was fun. This was gonna be fun. She was hanging out with her new friends, the cutest, gayest pokemon this side of Post Town. It was gonna be awesome whether the universe liked it or not!

Last edited:

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
There is now a fine for being mean to Brin. *outstretches hand* Pay up, Catrin.

JavierE64

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Pokédex Entry
It´s official, Brin and Emolga are the OTP of this run, they are so F-ing adorable together.

And this chapter somehow out-wholesomes the previous one, and I absolutely love it.

TerryTheTeryx

Gen Z Degenerate
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Rock
Pokédex Entry
It´s official, Brin and Emolga are the OTP of this run, they are so F-ing adorable together.

And this chapter somehow out-wholesomes the previous one, and I absolutely love it.
Which means the story's gonna do a total 180 on us.

Salt&PepperBunny

Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Which means the story's gonna do a total 180 on us.
(Just one early reply.)

I wouldn't count on that, Terry! I actually don't like fucking with gay relationships in my stories. When us LGBT folk can't get much more than our representation being paired up right at the last possible second, portrayed only as aliens/monsters/non-human creatures, or literally just killed off, I like my stories to be a peaceful resting spot in the midst of all the homophobic and transphobic garbage out there. There are plenty of ways to push characters to their limits without having to break up their relationships, too! Gimme more credit than that, I can be pretty creative. ;3c

TerryTheTeryx

Gen Z Degenerate
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Rock
Pokédex Entry
(Just one early reply.)

I wouldn't count on that, Terry! I actually don't like fucking with gay relationships in my stories. When us LGBT folk can't get much more than our representation being paired up right at the last possible second, portrayed only as aliens/monsters/non-human creatures, or literally just killed off, I like my stories to be a peaceful resting spot in the midst of all the homophobic and transphobic garbage out there. There are plenty of ways to push characters to their limits without having to break up their relationships, too! Gimme more credit than that, I can be pretty creative. ;3c
Oh no, I don't just mean screwing with them. I just mean steering away from wholesomeness in general for a little while. ;w;

Last edited:

Salt&PepperBunny

Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Oh no, I don't just mean screwing with them. I just mean steering away from wholesomeness in general for a little while. ;w;
Oooooooh okay, haha! Naaah, chapter 13 won't have a 180... Totally...... Believe me, I'd never lie to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)