• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Want to get a banner into the adspace for yourself? Submissions for new banners are open until September 30th!
  • The Writer's Locke has released it's final episode! Come celebrate a fantastic project with it's last hoo-rah.
  • This month's feature has an ANIMATED TRAILER and a backpack shaped like a spheal, what more could you ask for? Read Endurance: In Our Blood by purplechug!
  • The Hidden Gems Showcase (2022) is now closed. Thank you all who turned out this year! You can find all the cool content that got featured here. I hope you find a new gem to read!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Sinlocke Redux

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
Indulge in your vices, or overcome them.

estralita

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Fairy
Hello, everyone! Are you ready to discover the darkest parts of the soul, human and Pokemon alike?

Sinlockw A:To start, each Pokemon has their own hidden weakness. Whenever you catch a pokemon, randomly select a sin

1. Pride: This Pokemon is too proud to accept help. You cannot swap this Pokemon out of battle after it has been sent out. Until the opponent was sent out against is defeated, you are stuck there.
  2. Wrath: When battling, this pokemon is consumed with rage and lashes out at everyone around it This Pokemon may only use attacking moves, and cannot be healed during battle as it is too dangerous to get close during a battle. This includes Berries and healing moves.
  3. Envy: This Pokemon is envious of the movesets of other Pokemon. This is because you cannot use TMs or Move tutors to teach them any moves. They must rely on their natural movesets.
  4. Greed: This Pokemon will not let you take any item from them. Any item you give them becomes permanently theirs and you can't swap items or remove them. If you receive/catch them and they are holding an item, you cannot remove it. If it is not holding an item, it must be given a non-consumable item before it can be used. If they faint, the item stays with them after their death/release.
  5. Vanity: This Pokemon cannot bear to be seen at a disadvantage. If this Pokemon's HP drops below half, it must be switched out, and cannot battle again until it is healed.
  6. Lust: This Pokemon is constantly distracted by its own desires. They cannot open a battle, and cannot use the same move twice in a row.
  7. Gluttony: This Pokemon is constantly hungry and must be fed to keep calm. This Pokemon must always be holding a berry. If it loses/eats its berry, then it must be withdrawn and cannot be used until the berry has been replaced. It must have an item used on it before it can battle.
  8. Sloth: This Pokemon is lazy and has to be urged to battle. This Pokemon cannot use any moves during its first turn in battle, and cannot know more than two attacking moves
  9. Despair: When things go wrong, this Pokemon loses their will to continue on. If another Pokemon dies while this Pokemon is in the party, this Pokemon cannot be used and must be boxed until the next Milestone battle is completed (see below)
Sinlocke B: If a Pokemon should succumb to their vices and die, their vice is passed on to their trainer. Until the next milestone battle, (gyms in most games, trials in Alola), you receive an additional rule for the lost Pokemon's sin:
  1. Vanity: Inflicted with Vanity, you must hide your shame from the world. Box the Pokemon that finished your last battle. Until you cure your Vanity, you may not use the PC.
  2. Wrath: Filled with Wrath following your loss, you lash out at the world around you. Whenever you enter an area, you must fight every available trainer, and may not leave until all are defeated.
  3. Sloth: Burdened with Sloth, you struggle to do more than the bare minimum to get by. You may not battle non-mandatory trainers, and may only battle wild Pokemon to obtain your first catch.
  4. Lust: Distracted by Lust, you lost sight of your goals. You may not use any items in battle, including Poke Balls. (First encounter rules are ignored until Lust is cured)
  5. Greed: Overcome with Greed, you seek to possess everything in your vicinity. You may not use consumable items, (other than Poke Balls) and you must remove all held items from your team (if the Pokemon's sin conflicts with this rule, you cannot use that Pokemon until your Greed is cured)
  6. Gluttony: Consumed by Gluttony, you attempt to cope by indulging in excess and waste. Whenever you enter an area with a Poke Mart, spend all your money on the cheapest item in the store. You cannot sell items until your Gluttony is cured
  7. Envy: Tainted with Envy, you seek to match you opponents in all things. You must use exactly the same number of Pokemon as your opponent, and can only use items if your opponent does as well.
  8. Pride: Swollen with Pride, you seek to prove your superiority by doing more with less. Roll a d6 and add the result to the highest level Pokemon of your last battle. Until your Pride is cured, your Pokemon's levels may not exceed this number.
  9. Despair: Driven to Despair, you struggle to hold on to what you have. Toss every non-unique item you own. Your party may not change until your despair is Cured.
SInlocke C: If you want to overcome sin, you must face your faults head-on. When you complete a milestone battle , you may randomly roll a sin rule. If you complete the next milestone battle without a death, you may put a virtue counter on every Pokemon on your team. Once a Pokemon has five virtue counters on them, their sin has been overcome, and they are no longer bound by their sin's rules.

I just wanted to say thank you to Simply Unknown, both for coming up with the original ruleset, and giving me permission to expand on it here. Right now, this is just a concept ruleset. Numbers and rules can be changed for balance reasons, or other concerns. If anyone has any ideas or feedback, please let me know. I'm considering doing a BD sinlocke to test the rules out, and I'll post the results then

Last edited:

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Really cool idea and a great addition to it. The sins are not balanced and some are harsher than the others, but that's ok as they don't have to be (same is true for the Lorelocke rules for example), just pointing it out as it will randomly make some pokemon better or worse to use. SinlockeA - Pride and Vanity are the two I'm most worried about (though Sloth is also quite rough), but go ahead and test it and see how it goes, I might be wrong.

I also wonder about the five virtue counters, this mainly helps pokemon that you managed to keep with you from the beginning of the game. Is that the sort of pokemon you want to encourage to using specifically?

Best of luck!

OP
estralita

estralita

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Fairy
Thanks for the response.

In terms of the rules balance, do you think tweaks would help? Would changing Vanity to red health, or making Pride only apply to the first pokemon it's up against, be better? Also, what part of Sloth is the rough part?

The counter thing was actually to allow people to interact with the player sin rules without having to lose a pokemon to do so. Do you think its a problem if it benefits early game pokemon more?

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
About Vanity, making it up to Red health would make it almost irrelevant for games in which you can't use items in battle. If you assume this ruleset was meant to be used without this restriction then that could be a fair balance, otherwise it would make it a rather "easy" rule. Perhaps a third of health is a better compromise?

About Pride I think this would make it far more playable (and is the approach I took with some of my lorerules), as being locked into battle in Nuzlockes can be hell, so it must be limited in some way.

I do like the idea of the counters! I was just a bit worried that if you get a pokemon late in the game there's no way to counter their rule. But perhaps that's ok and you just can't solve all the rules. I'll think about it some if I have a better suggestion.

OP
estralita

estralita

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Fairy
Thanks for your feedback! I think I'll switch Pride now.

With the counters, I wanted to provide an incentive, without making it too easy to cancel the rules.

On a different note, it occurred to me after posting that Gluttony being berry focused could make its viability as a rule vary wildly, depending on how easy berries are to find. In addition, should people be allowed to give Pokemon a Razz Berry, or some other berry that can't be eaten in battle, and just let it be? And it's completely unworkable in Gen 1. I'm thinking maybe it needs a rewrite? What do you all think?

(Greed has a similar issue in Gen 1, but at least you can simulate it by boxing a random item and never withdrawing it.)

Users who are viewing this thread