• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • 🎊🎊🎊 Happy Nuzyear! The 11th annual Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza has closed, but you can find the user promotionals HERE and the final results HERE Go read all about these cool runs!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Written Story Kanto Teen Mon Secrets of Aetherai: Ori's Gift (new chapter April 11, 2022)

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
A musical PMD Let's Go Eevee nuzlocke. Updates as my health permits

Moon

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They, Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Because they're the two rarest types, they're the rarest pokemon. Yes, that's logical. No, there aren't other Ghost/Ice types. Froslass doesn't exist.
Well. That’s…certainly a mental image.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
"That's classified information," Molehill hissed. "AETHER protocol strictly forbids sharing classified information on fellow agents with the enemy, even if you're about to kill them anyway. What, do I WANT you to escape alive and squeal on us?"

That makes a lot of sense and is an advise that should be given to a lot of villains.

A Diglett's body is really not much to look at -- not too different from a Cubone, just with longer claws. A Dugtrio, on the other hand, is an eldritch abomination come to life. Imagine a writhing mass of furry tentacles with sharp talons at the ends, and you're halfway there. The other half is mainly teeth. The part of the other half that isn't teeth is tongue, and quite a lot of that as well. I speak solely in general terms because actually seeing the thing up close is worse. Far, far worse.

That's just terrifying.

Not Cull... Damn Molehill. And yeah those double battles are always extremely dangerous, and the Let's Go games sure buffed Team Rocket with some powerful moves.

DreamNotePrincess

Creative Writer with a BIG Imagination
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 16, 2021
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Has a lot of imagination for stories! Could never stop writing!
So as I've been hinting at for the past few weeks, I have a rather important announcement to make regarding an upcoming installment of the Secrets of Aetherai series.

As some of you may remember, a while back I did this Pokemon X lorelocke in the Aetherai series called Lines Crossed, which unfortunately died when I lost all of my gameplay notes because I failed to properly back them up. In my time working out how to recover from losing said notes, I decided to replace the X lorelocke with a Y lorelocke, as I felt Yveltal fit the storyline I had planned better than Xerneas anyway. That storylocke, titled What Once Was Mine, was planned to take place three thousand years prior to Ori's Gift, in the distant Kalosia region, during the War of the Twin Princes, featuring elements from Lines Crossed but focusing on an entirely new team of Pokemon and setting the stage for certain characters and plot elements found in later Aetherai stories.

Unfortunately, my announcement is that the Pokemon Y storylocke has been canceled.

Yes.

To be replaced with this.

df2snyf-5994ebff-ae5e-47fa-8616-3d02c3df7df4.png

GET IN BIRCHES, WE'RE COMICKING HERE!!!

So after Russia invaded Ukraine (yeah, I know, that's a hell of a way to begin an explanation as to why a storylocke is now a nuzcomic), I realized two things. One, my war-centered Y lorelocke had just become uncomfortably topical. And two, I ain't gonna live forever (not in this life anyway). One of the things I wanna do before I croak is to actually start and complete a comic, and since I'm turning 33 on the 7th (take THAT, Alexander the Great), I figured if I've gotta start sometime, I'd better start now. So I'm starting now.

Well, technically I'm starting on May Day (the reference is as intentional as my making this announcement on April Fool's Day to try to fake you all out). But I've already drawn the first couple of pages. Given how long it's been since I've done anything close to a serious comic (that being The Galar Gang; who here remembers The Galar Gang?), the first few chapters likely aren't going to be anything stellar, but you know what? The best way to learn to do something is to do it, and that's what I'm going to do.

So why is this story, of all things, becoming my comic project? Two main reasons. One, since What Once Was Mine takes place in an entirely different time period to Ori's Gift, it means that I don't have to worry about not being able to continue my storylocke series because the comic part of the serial hasn't been completed yet. And two, well... if you've taken a close enough look at the Floette on the cover, you'll probably notice that she looks a fair bit different from the Eternal Flower Floette in the games (not that Eternal Flower Floette was ever actually released in the games, but that's another story).

That's right. This comic takes place three thousand years in the past, meaning that Pokemon species as we know them looked quite a bit different than the ones we know today. Pokemon aren't even called Pokemon at this point; they're called Youkai, as Shellock has referenced in Ori's Gift, and they represent both the lorelocke aspects of Pokemon and the 'missing links' between Mew and modern-day Pokemon. Meaning I get to draw and redesign every single non-legendary species in the entire storyline.

And that's why I decided to make What Once Was Mine into a nuzcomic. To let my character design gremlin loose on the world.

Finally, you've probably noticed by now that What Once Was Mine has been listed as a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon/Tangled the Series crossover. While prior knowledge of the plot of Tangled the Series is not necessary to understand the plot of What Once Was Mine, there will be spoilers for Tangled the Series within this comic, meaning that if you want to watch Tangled the Series unspoiled beforehand, well, you have at least the whole of April, and most likely a good deal longer before I get to the part with actual spoilers, but there's no guarantee how long that'll be.

...and if you have watched Tangled the Series and you've also been keeping a close eye on Melvin's dialogue in Ori's Gift, you'll probably be able to guess something about how, specifically, this comic crosses over with Tangled the Series.

I'll just leave you to chew on that.

Tagging @RubyClaw because this is a new lorelocke run and @DreamNotePrincess who only yesterday expressed interest in a crossover nuzlocke. Well, here ya go. Happy April Fool's Day.

So as I've been hinting at for the past few weeks, I have a rather important announcement to make regarding an upcoming installment of the Secrets of Aetherai series.

As some of you may remember, a while back I did this Pokemon X lorelocke in the Aetherai series called Lines Crossed, which unfortunately died when I lost all of my gameplay notes because I failed to properly back them up. In my time working out how to recover from losing said notes, I decided to replace the X lorelocke with a Y lorelocke, as I felt Yveltal fit the storyline I had planned better than Xerneas anyway. That storylocke, titled What Once Was Mine, was planned to take place three thousand years prior to Ori's Gift, in the distant Kalosia region, during the War of the Twin Princes, featuring elements from Lines Crossed but focusing on an entirely new team of Pokemon and setting the stage for certain characters and plot elements found in later Aetherai stories.

Unfortunately, my announcement is that the Pokemon Y storylocke has been canceled.

Yes.

To be replaced with this.

df2snyf-5994ebff-ae5e-47fa-8616-3d02c3df7df4.png

GET IN BIRCHES, WE'RE COMICKING HERE!!!

So after Russia invaded Ukraine (yeah, I know, that's a hell of a way to begin an explanation as to why a storylocke is now a nuzcomic), I realized two things. One, my war-centered Y lorelocke had just become uncomfortably topical. And two, I ain't gonna live forever (not in this life anyway). One of the things I wanna do before I croak is to actually start and complete a comic, and since I'm turning 33 on the 7th (take THAT, Alexander the Great), I figured if I've gotta start sometime, I'd better start now. So I'm starting now.

Well, technically I'm starting on May Day (the reference is as intentional as my making this announcement on April Fool's Day to try to fake you all out). But I've already drawn the first couple of pages. Given how long it's been since I've done anything close to a serious comic (that being The Galar Gang; who here remembers The Galar Gang?), the first few chapters likely aren't going to be anything stellar, but you know what? The best way to learn to do something is to do it, and that's what I'm going to do.

So why is this story, of all things, becoming my comic project? Two main reasons. One, since What Once Was Mine takes place in an entirely different time period to Ori's Gift, it means that I don't have to worry about not being able to continue my storylocke series because the comic part of the serial hasn't been completed yet. And two, well... if you've taken a close enough look at the Floette on the cover, you'll probably notice that she looks a fair bit different from the Eternal Flower Floette in the games (not that Eternal Flower Floette was ever actually released in the games, but that's another story).

That's right. This comic takes place three thousand years in the past, meaning that Pokemon species as we know them looked quite a bit different than the ones we know today. Pokemon aren't even called Pokemon at this point; they're called Youkai, as Shellock has referenced in Ori's Gift, and they represent both the lorelocke aspects of Pokemon and the 'missing links' between Mew and modern-day Pokemon. Meaning I get to draw and redesign every single non-legendary species in the entire storyline.

And that's why I decided to make What Once Was Mine into a nuzcomic. To let my character design gremlin loose on the world.

Finally, you've probably noticed by now that What Once Was Mine has been listed as a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon/Tangled the Series crossover. While prior knowledge of the plot of Tangled the Series is not necessary to understand the plot of What Once Was Mine, there will be spoilers for Tangled the Series within this comic, meaning that if you want to watch Tangled the Series unspoiled beforehand, well, you have at least the whole of April, and most likely a good deal longer before I get to the part with actual spoilers, but there's no guarantee how long that'll be.

...and if you have watched Tangled the Series and you've also been keeping a close eye on Melvin's dialogue in Ori's Gift, you'll probably be able to guess something about how, specifically, this comic crosses over with Tangled the Series.

I'll just leave you to chew on that.

Tagging @RubyClaw because this is a new lorelocke run and @DreamNotePrincess who only yesterday expressed interest in a crossover nuzlocke. Well, here ya go. Happy April Fool's Day.
I'm so excited for this comic!!!
I love Tangled the Series and Pokemon Y stories centered around Floette! Can't wait to read it!!

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh my goodness- two Pokemon down to a Jessie and James fight! They are definitely a lot more threatening in these games than they ever were. Especially with the double battle format.
To subject the world to devastation...
Well. That’s…certainly a mental image.
Thanks! It was a lot of fun to come up with. I considered drawing it, but that just might drive my readers mad.
That makes a lot of sense and is an advise that should be given to a lot of villains.

That's just terrifying.

Not Cull... Damn Molehill. And yeah those double battles are always extremely dangerous, and the Let's Go games sure buffed Team Rocket with some powerful moves.
Let's Go gave Team Rocket good Dark coverage, with Arbok learning Crunch and Weezing learning Dark Pulse. This would be a good time to have a Ground-type that wasn't, well, a horrible traitor like Molehill.
I'm so excited for this comic!!!
I love Tangled the Series and Pokemon Y stories centered around Floette! Can't wait to read it!!
I would say I can't wait to share it, but that's not true; I'm releasing it in May because I need to build up a page buffer to keep updates hopefully constant. So I'm probably not going to do anything like what I'm doing now and releasing two chapters within four days of each other because I spent so long not updating the story and I seriously need to catch up.

Carat was being measured for a prosthetic wing when Rocket stormed into the medical ward with a glare that could paralyze a Lightning element.

"I want answers!" the Eevee hissed. "How the hell did THAT all happen?"

Carat blinked. "What?"

"THAT! Slip and Cull getting murdered! Jet and Shock and Heather getting kidnapped! Molehill being a frekking infiltrator! Where the hell is Ori, and what the hell does He think He's doing, sending us on this mad quest and letting this... this... BOUFMUK happen to us?!"

Carat took a deep breath. And another. "Rocket, do you even realize just what Molehill, Slither, and Smoke were after?"

Rocket froze. "They... they stole Helix's mortal remains, and kidnapped the Oricle and his group..."

"They weren't simply after the Oricle," Carat said. "They were after what Jet recovered from the Amber Tunnel." His clenched paw uncurled to reveal a glimmering orange gem. "Namely, this."

I CAN SPEAK FOR MYSELF, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

Rocket flinched. The voice sounded so much like Dome's, and yet so different. "Is that..."

I AM THE SCALES OF BALANCE, THE AMBER OF OLD, the stone spoke. WHAT'S LEFT OF HIM, ANYWAY. ORI LED JET TO FIND ME BEFORE THE WRAITHS COULD. THE FOUR KINGS SEEK TO CLAIM ALL THREE OF US FOSSIL GODS -- ORDER, CHAOS, AND BALANCE -- FOR PURPOSES THAT CAN ONLY BE EVIL. IN ALLOWING HIMSELF TO BE CAPTURED, JET BOUGHT US A LITTLE MORE TIME.

"That... does sound like Jet," Rocket admitted. "But what's going to happen to him now? And Shock and Heather, too?"

Carat sighed. "Nothing good, I can tell you that much. Ori has been silent on their fates, impressing on me that the goal of claiming the Relic Badges to destroy the Night Mirror is paramount above all else. But if you want my personal opinion..." He sighed. "I would guess that the Four Kings would want them as test fauna for their attempts at perfecting Wraithtouch."

Rocket's fur bristled like a porcupine's quills. No. Not Jet... not his friend, the voice of reason...

"Why would Ori let this happen?!" he exploded. "He CHOSE Jet! He chose you, and you're missing a wing because of my mistake! Why do all of these horrible things happen if Ori is all-powerful, anyway?!"

"I have myself wondered that for many seasons," Carat admitted. "It is said that Ori made a thousand questions and only two hundred and fifty answers. Our job is not to understand everything; our job is to be faithful in what we do understand."

Rocket sat down and huffed. "Well, that could be difficult, seeing as I understand zilch."

Silence.

Carat paused, holding a quiet mental conversation with Ori. Should I tell him? Or is it not time yet?

He will come when the Story demands he come. You may tell him.

Carat nodded imperceptively, then turned his attention back to Rocket. "If I may... there is a place in Aetherai that holds some of those answers. Not all, but some, and some that you may find enlightening."

Rocket's ears perked up, and his tail twitched in excitement. "Really? Where?"

"The Somber Spires," Carat whispered. "The highest point of the Gatto region, the mountainous peaks said to be so high and so sharp that they pierce the Barrier between dimensions. It is a treacherous place, a mystery dungeon that countless Pokemon have tried and failed to conquer, and few know what sorts of beings await you along the way. But those that reach the top attain enlightenment... although some have claimed that reaching the top causes a soul to go mad."

"I'm already going mad," Rocket growled, tapping his claws with impatience. "Are these Somber Spires anywhere near any wraith strongholds?"

"They are indeed," Carat said. "But the path to the Spires is not easy, for the Spires contain the highest concentration of mysteriousity in the region. Your best path towards the Spires will lead through two wraith strongholds: the Ochre Jungle and the Swamp of Soul. I would advise claiming both the Heart Relic and the Shade Relic before attempting to climb the Spires."

"That difficult, huh?" Rocket asked. "So why can't Ori just tell me the answers here and now?"

"Because that is not the way that Ori works," Carat explains. "Those that seek answers must seek them with everything they possess. Many Pokemon spend their entire lives existing from day to day, yet never really living. Truth is a thing not easily found; it must be sought and fought for."

"Poetic," Rocket muttered. "But it doesn't really help me right now. What am I supposed to do now?"

"Well, for starters, I'd head back to Missile Bomb and warn them that Slither and Smoke and their little Meowth buddy are up to no good," Carat said. "And you did tell Slip you'd play that song at his funeral."

Rocket remembered that. It was haunting in retrospect, but he remembered it. "All right," he sighed. "I guess that's my job now. No one ever said that being the Eeveetar would be easy."

"No, but you implied it," Flicker said from the other end of the room. "Hurr durr, I'm the Eeveetar, and I'm going to get the eight things and do the thing to the other--"

Rocket, to his surprise, spat his first precise stream of fire straight into Flicker's eyes, blackening her face.

"Okay, then," Flicker said meekly. "Must be all that Flare Marowak corpse energy you picked up back there in that tower that Molehill wrecked."

"Wait, Molehill wrecked Lavender Tower?" Carat asked, genuinely surprised.

Flicker snickered. "I guess Ori didn't tell you that part, did He?"

"I mean," Carat admitted, "it's not like I asked."

Originally this chapter was going to have a Rocket's Notebook entry describing the Somber Spires, but there wasn't really much in the article that wasn't already in the story, so I chose to cut it out.

Writing Ori's Gift has been very interesting to me because in many ways the story's theological elements are basically me trying to work out my faith in a world gone mad. In that sense, I can empathize with characters like Rocket, Jet, and Flicker, who each have varying reactions to the divine and to how the world doesn't always make sense.

Moon

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They, Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Because they're the two rarest types, they're the rarest pokemon. Yes, that's logical. No, there aren't other Ghost/Ice types. Froslass doesn't exist.
Ah yes, the non-nuzlocke half of this-Rocket screaming at Ori.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
Ah yes, the non-nuzlocke half of this-Rocket screaming at Ori.
And worldbuilding. Lots and lots of worldbuilding.

While Rocket's first instinct had been to go to Carat to yell at him, Wart had had the slightly more reasonable first instinct to go to Shellock with suitable numbers of Pokemon behind him in case there was a fight. Flicker had volunteered immediately, damn the obvious disadvantage of a teenage Charmeleon against a Wartortle youkai who had thousands of years of life experience and was also a secret agent; in truth, her first instinct had been to yell at somemon too, although she didn't appear at all picky about who it was.

Shellock, being considerably wiser than Flicker and most likely Wart as well, had of course decided to not be present.

"He's left a note," Sniff said, which visibly surprised Flicker because Flicker evidently hadn't realized that the Raticate could read. "He says he's going after a rogue agent in hopes of preventing an interregional incident. I presume by that he means Molehill."

Flicker spat a trail of black smoke. "And I presume by that he means he's covering his fluffy ass. You can't trust coppers. Anymon's from the government, they ain't here to help you, they're here to do their jobs, and their jobs are whatever the government tells them to do, legal or otherwise. And when it's the government, anything is legal."

Wart silently took notes on Flicker's attitude towards government figures, resolving to prove her wrong. If he was going to be king of Gatto, then he needed to be the kind of king of Gatto that didn't inspire any benevolent deities to raise up champions to kick him out on his tail or worse. And he was going to try his darndest to make sure the police force followed suit.

The problem with rule of law, Wart thought to himself, was: who makes the law? If it's the government, they tend to make the law benefit the government. If it's the civilians, well, once they realized they had the power of government, then they were basically the government, and if a handful of Pokemon couldn't be trusted to rule the country fairly, then why the hell would every Pokemon in the entire frekking region be trusted to do the same? And if law was determined by nature, well, one look at a feral Leavanny eating her mate alive could tell you that nature was bloody incompetent at coming up with anything close to an agreeable moral standard. The only source left was the gods, and that of course led to the eternal question: which gods? And that opened up its own stack of problems.

Well, he was just going to have to trust that the God who had chosen him knew what He was doing, and hope that he wasn't going to wind up in trouble with any of the other gods, who might well decide to unionize. Ori would be fine, sure, but he wasn't convinced that he would be.

Although judging from the angry sounds coming from the other room where Rocket was, he didn't think there was any danger of that anytime soon.

---

WELL, LOOK WHO DECIDED TO SHOW UP, Dome growled at Amber. WHERE WERE YOU WHEN HELIX AND I WERE FIGHTING AND LADY MOONSTONE DROPPED A MOUNTAIN ON OUR HEADS?

There was an awkward silence, during which Rocket slowly backed several pawsteps away. Sure, the gods might be not much more than talking rocks at the moment, but they were angry rocks.

YOU KNOW, Amber admitted, I DON'T ACTUALLY REMEMBER.

FANTASTIC,
Dome growled. YOU CAN'T EVEN BOTHER TO COME UP WITH AN EXCUSE!

THIS IS MORE SERIOUS THAN YOU REALIZE!
Amber snapped. I'M MISSING LARGE PORTIONS OF MY MEMORY -- EONS' WORTH, BY MY ESTIMATION. WHATEVER CIRCUMSTANCES LED TO MY STORAGE WITHIN THE ETERNITREE THAT THE ORICLE FOUND ME IN, THEY'VE AFFECTED MY MIND. AND I'M NOT ABOUT TO ASSUME THAT ALL OF THIS HAPPENED BY ACCIDENT.

WELL, I CERTAINLY WASN'T RESPONSIBLE,
Dome huffed, GIVEN THAT I WAS STUCK UNDER A SPRINKING MOUNTAIN ALL THAT TIME!

I NEVER ACCUSED YOU OF SUCH,
Amber said evenly. BUT WE CANNOT ASSUME THAT WHOEVER OR WHATEVER POSSESSED THIS LEVEL OF POWER IS NOT STILL OUT THERE SOMEWHERE, AND WILL NOT TARGET US AGAIN.

US? US?! THERE IS NO 'US'! IF YOU THINK FOR A FRINKING MOMENT THAT I'M GOING TO JOIN FORCES WITH--

"We may not have a choice," Rocket interrupted, forced to step a bit closer to the feuding gods than he would have liked to make himself heard. "The Four Heavenly Kings already have the Night Mirror, and they're working on a bioweapon known as Wraithtouch that will do who knows what to a Pokemon. And they're targeting the gods. Lord Helix has already been taken by double agents within Missile Bomb -- agents that also murdered two of my friends, kidnapped three more, and destroyed an entire tower, all within the past two days. I'm not sure what they think they'll do with Helix's mortal remains, but it cannot possibly be good. So, for the time being, it would be in Your collective best interests to actually work together for a change."

ACTUALLY, Amber admitted, WE MIGHT BE BETTER OFF APART.

FINALLY SOMEMON GETS IT,
Dome muttered.

NOT THE WAY YOU THINK. IF THESE VILLAINS ARE OUT TO CAPTURE THE GODS, THEN KEEPING BOTH OF US IN THE SAME PLACE IS DANGEROUS. WE NEED TO SPREAD OUT, SO IF ONE OF US GETS CAPTURED, THE OTHER ONE REMAINS SAFE.

"You know, Amber, You're a lot more reasonable than Dome."

HEY! Dome snapped.

HE SPEAKS THE TRUTH, Amber hissed.

Dome clearly didn't like this, but didn't answer. He did however visibly fume -- quite literally, in fact, as His fossil remains put off a faint reddish steam. Rocket wondered if this steam was visible to anymon else, or if his latent Aura abilities were finally starting to kick in.

I AM THE GOD OF BALANCE, Amber went on. COUNTLESS FORCES STRUGGLE WITHIN THIS WORLD TO CLAIM DOMINION OVER THEIR COUNTERPARTS -- CHAOS AND ORDER, WAR AND PEACE, LIFE AND DEATH. MY VOCATION FROM THE MOMENT THAT ORI CREATED ME HAS BEEN TO MAINTAIN THAT BALANCE. IF SOMEMON OR SOMETHING HAS SOUGHT TO REMOVE ME FROM THE EQUATION, I CAN ONLY ASSUME THAT IT SEEKS TO BRING ABOUT AN IMBALANCE IN AETHERAI.

"Do You think it could be the Four Kings?" Rocket asked. "Or something... worse?"

IT COULDN'T BE THE KINGS, Dome interrupted. THEY'RE POWERFUL, DON'T GET ME WRONG, BUT CONSIDERING THAT THEY'RE SEEKING OUT AMBER AS WE SPEAK, THEY CLEARLY AREN'T THE ONES WHO DID THIS TO HIM. OTHERWISE, THEY'D ALREADY HAVE HIM.

EXCELLENT POINT,
Amber said. I CAN SEE YOU'VE GOTTEN SMARTER.

THAT WAS MERELY A SIMPLE OBSERVATION,
Dome answered.

EXACTLY.

Dome's rock actually seemed to jump a little WHY YOU--!!

"Calm down, everymon!" Rocket said quickly. "We don't need to fight -- fighting amongst ourselves is exactly what the Four Kings would want! Right now we've got to figure out what to do with You two. Amber's right -- we can't keep You both in the same spot. I'm bound to Dome, so I'm pretty sure He has to stay with me. Amber, who do You know that You want to stay with?"

Amber seemed to consider this for a moment (it was hard to tell what a translucent orange blob was thinking at any given time). SOMEMON ON THE MOVE, He said finally. BUT NOT IN YOUR GROUP... I'M SORRY, I'LL HAVE TO THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A WHILE.

"How about Eureka?" Rocket suggested. "She comes and goes as She pleases, and She's a goddess. She should be able to protect You."

SHE COULDN'T PROTECT HERSELF, Dome muttered.

Rocket glared at Him. "That was one hundred years ago! And one time! Anyway, You got a mountain dropped on You, so You can't talk!"

There was a tense silence.

...POINT TAKEN, Dome conceded. STILL, I'M GLAD IT'S NOT ME GOING WITH HER.

So where's Shellock off to? Only time will tell. I will say that he's not dead, at least not at the moment. I boxed him sometime around this point in the game, and whether or not he returns (either in-game or in-story or both) remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
I love Wart's determination to change Flicker's mind about authority figures. What a little gem. We need more leaders like Wart. And omg the three fossil rocks yelling at each other. Incredible.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
I love Wart's determination to change Flicker's mind about authority figures. What a little gem. We need more leaders like Wart. And omg the three fossil rocks yelling at each other. Incredible.
Technically it's only two fossils, but still.
Amber as a god of balance is a really interesting take on all this, though fanatic Dome still holds a special place in my heart.
TPP does have an interesting pantheon, even if lore has taken a downturn in recent years.

So... I was recently involved in a drama incident on DeviantART, the specifics of which I won't go into, but it happened immediately after DeviantART instituted its new notifications system that requires you to manually click on each notification to turn it off. As someone who does not like getting involved in drama and would prefer to just step away from it, but is constantly tempted to mouth off at people if she sees what they're saying (it's a weakness), this is not okay. And the end result is that I believe that just staying away from DeviantART entirely is the safest and best course of action.

Now, as for how that affects What Once Was Mine... well. I didn't want to have to change my plans yet again, but it's looking like the best route for this tale is to return to my original plan of having it be a storylocke rather than a nuzcomic. This is not a decision that I made lightly, but it is what I feel is the best route for this project, as I already ran into issues finding time and energy to make comic pages. The first part of the story will still be released on May 1 as planned.

Looks like I'm the April fool.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
@Trollkitten - comic or storylocke I'm sure it will be a great run and will be following it personally (As I mentioned before I enjoyed your original Kalos Lorelocke adventure vibes quite a lot, not sure what style you'll go with in this run though I'm sure the world-building will be great as usual). I'm quite oblivious of other online spheres like DeviantART honestly so I don't know the dynamics there but I'm sorry to hear things turned out this way.

Moon

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They, Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Aw…
But yeah while a comic would be nice storylockes are great so I’m not really complaining

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
@Trollkitten - comic or storylocke I'm sure it will be a great run and will be following it personally (As I mentioned before I enjoyed your original Kalos Lorelocke adventure vibes quite a lot, not sure what style you'll go with in this run though I'm sure the world-building will be great as usual). I'm quite oblivious of other online spheres like DeviantART honestly so I don't know the dynamics there but I'm sorry to hear things turned out this way.
It's best for all involved if I not go into details on the drama itself, but it was made significantly worse by DeviantART's new notification system that makes it impossible to ignore notifications without actively clicking on them, meaning that I can't just wait out any storm, I have to interact with each post individually. And on top of that, even likes have to be interacted with to clear them from the active notification list, and for people with high traffic on their galleries, that can't be fun.
Aw…
But yeah while a comic would be nice storylockes are great so I’m not really complaining
I think you'll find something to love in What Once Was Mine... including a surprise recurring character from one of my previous works.

So...

It has begun.

Secrets of Aetherai: What Once Was Mine.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
I apologize for how long this next chapter is taking; I've had other projects to work on and have been dealing with chronic illness for a while now. I know pretty much how the next chapter goes; I just haven't been in a good frame of mind to write it, and that frustrates me as much as it frustrates you. It'll be ready when it's ready.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
So... life update.

Some of my endoscopy results came in. Apparently I have a mucus problem in my stomach and will need medication and some dietary changes to treat it. This is good news because I won't need surgery, but I'm going to have to cut out dairy for a while, which is definitely going to be a hurdle because I consume a lot of dairy products, so I'm going to have to heavily rethink what I eat from day to day. And that could affect how I function for the next week or so, so I'll try to keep a hold of myself and not have any more meltdowns.

In terms of how that's going to affect Ori's Gift, well... I've decided that at this point, I'm going to have to just make the hiatus official. I'm not abandoning this story, not by a long shot, but I do have other projects I'm working on (especially the Datalocke, which I recently finished the Gen 2 rules for and am now working on Gen 3 rules), and most of my creative attention is on my other projects at the moment. I do have plans to continue Ori's Gift to the next few gym badges and beyond; I just need some time to work out just what that's going to look like. (I will say that my current plans involve more of Flicker's character arc and certain plot revelations regarding REDACTED.)

Finally, I'll end with something cool: Pokemon Masters EX is doing a special Team Rocket Johto event, and part of that is a sync pair of Giovanni and Nidoking... with Giovanni wearing an outfit that evokes Nidoking. I found this especially vindicating because my Giovanni analogue in Ori's Gift is a Nidoqueen. Just thought that was pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread