• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Written Story Voice Work Fan [Season Two] The Writer's Locke: Episode Two!

Flop disc

Johto League Champion
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Normal, Poison

Welcome back to The Writer’s Locke, a Nuzlocke Reading Project!

We’ve expanded syndication, so you can now listen to us in a bunch of different places. Let us know if your favourite podcast service is missing, and we’ll work to get it added!
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana, and The Writer’s Locke likes every third Monday at 6PM EST! That being said, with daylight savings zones around the world working against us, this episode may slide in an hour late. Or early! Who knows?

This episode, we’ll be hearing from:

We've prepared a full transcript for your convenience.

If you’ve got some thoughts to throw down about the discussion segment, have at it! As usual, we’ve prepared a couple of relevant questions to refer to if you’re not sure where to start:
  • Where do you stand on the spectrum between entirely fantastical and entirely realistic portrayals of pokemon?
  • What are some of the techniques you would use to achieve verisimilitude?
If you have an itch you wanna scratch beyond that, there's always the Shop Talk subforum!

Your interest and support has gotten us all this far, and we're incredibly grateful for it. If you have any feedback about the transcript or any other aspect of the podcast, we'd love to hear from you! Feel free to drop a post here, in the main Writer's Locke thread, or to send a message direct via forum PM or Discord DM to a member of our crew!

The Storylockes:

Carousel
Garish Garchomp

"Amongst all these foreign sensations, it's this feeling he never wants to forget. The feeling that he's defying reality in the most elegant way."

Healing Wish
SimplyUnknown

Being the leader of the Viridian Gym is stressful work--a fact which Blue Oak knows only too well. When he discovers that his position might be under threat from an old rival, he realizes it’s time to take a step back and go on vacation. He soon finds himself in Unova, where he’s asked to accompany a rookie trainer on her journey. Blue is looking forward to some relaxation as he explores the new region--but as one might expect, things never go to plan…

Tightrope
zephyr_iphis

Aisling is a provincial girl trying on a new persona as she moves closer to bright, sparkling civilization and takes part in an exclusive pokemon training program run by the illustrious Sycamore Labs. Impressing the professor enough to get into the even more exclusive mega evolution program and winning all eight Kalos badges is a tall order, but Luck has always been Aisling's lady.

With lycée over, Xoana is floundering in a pool of her own abandoned interests and aborted hobbies. So she follows her friends as they pursue their dreams, hoping for a change, inspiration, and maybe just a bit of adventure. But Aisling’s brand might be a tad more than she bargained for. These days she doesn’t know whether to be excited or tired and which is the more dangerous.

Credits:

Editors: @songwithnosoul, @cjapples
Assistant Editors: @littlebattler, @SilverDoe, @Metafiction
Voiceover: @Rainey, @Raderph, @SayleeK, @SilverDoe
Writers: @Metafiction, @Garish Garchomp, @SimplyUnkown, @Zephyr_Iphis
Assets: Rosella Queen (theme), SeaMaid (jingles), Narxinba (art), other assets from Freesound

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Erb: Hello, I am Erberor, most often known as Erb. I'm the author of All That We Are, my, uh, run of Blaze Black, and, uh, I'm gonna go ahead and commit to this now: by the time this episode comes out, I will have posted the first chapter of The Quiet Dark, which will be of Renegade Platinum.
Looking forward to it! (Um. Has it actually been posted yet?)

Rainey: Personally, I found M-- Mr. Mime was terrifying.

Clock: [Laughs] Oh my god.

Aurea: Uh … yes.

Erb: [Crosstalk] Oh-- Well-- Mr. Mime was always terrifying.

[Laughter]

Rainey: That's true, too. [Laughs]

Erb: Let's be real.

Aurea: They made it somehow more scary. [Laughs]
Personally, I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't find the Mr. Mime in Detective Pikachu horrifying or scary, which is saying something when it's a photorealistic Mr. Mime of all things. (Ditto in the movie was still a horror monster though, and also a plot twist I never saw coming.)

And I think sometimes that means getting creative, especially with Pokémon that don't have an animal counterpart to study. So, sure, I can research lions and draw from my experience with my own cats to write about my protagonist's Luxray, and I can base her Ponyta entirely on the horse that I owned as a kid and no one’ll know the difference, but I really struggled with how to get her Drifloon specifically to convey emotion. And I don't think it has to be anything groundbreaking. So, just for example, using my own run, for Willow the Drifloon, I manipulated her inflation levels to align with her feelings because, I mean, she's a sentient balloon, what more can I really do with that? [Rainey laughs] And, she was naturally a-- a timid Pokémon, that's just kind of how I envisioned her personality, so I would have her literally shrink away from things that she was uncertain about, or deflate whenever she was being rebuffed by her Trainer, who is not exactly the most inviting person to work with. But, I didn't have, like, a list of characteristics or traits or even-- I didn't even go as deep as the ecosystem and the environment that Drifloon would have hailed from, because I just didn't want to get bogged down in those details, but I think understanding how she would interact with the world around her and how that would impact her own body language added some depth to her interactions with my protagonist and ultimately made people care about her in the end.
This. I did my own take on Drifloon/Drifblim in Ori's Gift where they were artificial Pokemon created for transport purposes with a tendency to sometimes disappear with their own cargo, but since the one Drifblim in the story is a background character, I haven't really gotten into how the Drifloon line shows emotion, and this is a very good way to go about it.

Erb: Yes. This is kind of a bit off from what we've been talking about, but I can think of nothing else. I would like to see, see a take where you take all these big technological elements of the Pokémon world--you know, the healing machines, the PC system, Pokéballs in general--take all of that incredible technology and just make it all magic. Give me arcane contraptions and mystic rituals, give me a world where Nurse Joy is a potion-brewing witch, where Pokéballs are magical marvels, and where Professor Oak is the local wizard!
I'm currently considering doing a low-fantasy nuzlocke set in a Gravity Falls-esque setting where the protagonist and rival are in a world that normally doesn't have Pokemon but suddenly does, and now the protag and rival are setting out to capture and document all of these new fantastic creatures for their cryptozoologist grandfather, and have to fight wild Pokemon outbreaks from time to time. Granted, given the very large number of nuzlockes I want to do, I am not yet sure if this will ever happen, but I hope it does.

Where do you stand on the spectrum between entirely fantastical and entirely realistic portrayals of pokemon?
Being a writer of a PMD-style fantasy nuzlocke, I try to make my Pokemon characters be basically sentient monster people with their own societies and species-specific quirks. Flicker, the Charmeleon, lives in a junkyard because of her hoarding instinct and works as a lamplighter because her fire powers make her specifically suited for this, but she also wears a flame guard over the end of her tail to avoid setting everything she walks past on fire. Sniff, the Alolan Rattata (referred to as Darkling Rattata in Ori's Gift), has a love of all things shiny, and when he makes a promise, he swears on his buck teeth, which are critical for any Rattata's survival. Rocket, the Eevee, licks himself clean two or three times daily, but not when anyone's watching because that's just gross. Jet the Pidgey/Pidgeotto loves eating live invertebrates (not Pokemon, just normal bugs) and has no idea why all the non-insectivores think this is disgusting.

I would say that I don't try to make my Pokemon portrayals realistic so much as believeable. One of my inspirations for writing is Pixar movies, because those usually do a great job of portraying new worlds in a way that's believeable. A world of toys, a world of bugs, a world under the sea... even worlds of spirit. Pixar goes above and beyond to really make you buy what they're selling (figuratively and literally, I guess).
What are some of the techniques you would use to achieve verisimilitude?
I try to think of how a creature like, say, a Meltan would function in the real world. Where do Meltan come from? What are they made of? What drives their behavior? I had the Meltan in Ori's Gift be constructs created by an engineer in Kalosia as a workforce for a city in Gatto called Gilded Cage. The Meltan have a hivemind and are capable of fusing together to become Melmetal, but can split back up again once they've accomplished their goal. They're mainly made of tantalum (which is a real-world metal with interesting properties, look it up) and require refining every several weeks or so because their liquid metal bodies pick up contaminants (they do not enjoy this process). Also, they speak in Morse Code, which is a decision I regret somewhat because the Meltan in Ori's Gift has some good lines (if I do say so myself) that require translation to be fully appreciated.

Basically, ask the kind of questions your readers might ask regarding your setting and how Pokemon really work. Then answer them.

Erberor

The Wiggle Stabber
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Psychic, Rock
Pokédex Entry
Exercise extreme caution: May stab in the feels and wiggle the knife.
Looking forward to it! (Um. Has it actually been posted yet?)
It might have been. Though it appears I've been beaten to the punch...

Heh, I guess I'm a guest superstar now, cool. Well, thanks for having me on again, this discussion was a load of fun.

Flop disc

Johto League Champion
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Normal, Poison
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anchor uploads always go live instantly, but sometimes if we upload the episode close to release, then the distribution for the others won't have finished yet. That's what happened today! 😅

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)