• Episode Four of The Writer's Locke is now live! In this episode we're introducing two new stories, In the Sun's Embrace and Run Away, Survivors, and having a discussion about writing antagonists!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Written Story Voice Work Fan [Season Two] The Writer's Locke: Episode Three!

Flop disc

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Normal, Poison

Welcome back to The Writer’s Locke, a Nuzlocke Reading Project!

We’ve expanded syndication, so you can now listen to us in a bunch of different places. Let us know if your favourite podcast service is missing, and we’ll work to get it added!
It's an honest pleasure to bring you all these episodes. Today, we've got something really special. One of our own has jus released her debut novel! All Ways came out online online during the week of April 26th. It's available to buy on Amazon, and you can find more details about the journey to publication on Indiegogo!

This episode will also be the final one featuring Healing Wish and Tightrope, both of which will be findly missed! Next episode, we'll reveal the next pair fo storylockes to be read. 👀

This episode, we’ll be hearing from:

We've prepared a full transcript for your convenience.

If you’ve got some thoughts to throw down about the discussion segment, have at it! As usual, we’ve prepared a couple of relevant questions to refer to if you’re not sure where to start:
  • Have you channeled your own experiences with disability or neurodivergence into a character?
  • What sort of resources have you used to supplement or build your knowledge of either of these?
If you have an itch you wanna scratch beyond that, there's always the Shop Talk subforum!

Your interest and support has gotten us all this far, and we're incredibly grateful for it. If you have any feedback about the transcript or any other aspect of the podcast, we'd love to hear from you! Feel free to drop a post here, in the main Writer's Locke thread, or to send a message direct via forum PM or Discord DM to a member of our crew!

The Storylockes:

Carousel
Garish Garchomp

"Amongst all these foreign sensations, it's this feeling he never wants to forget. The feeling that he's defying reality in the most elegant way."

Healing Wish
SimplyUnknown

Being the leader of the Viridian Gym is stressful work--a fact which Blue Oak knows only too well. When he discovers that his position might be under threat from an old rival, he realizes it’s time to take a step back and go on vacation. He soon finds himself in Unova, where he’s asked to accompany a rookie trainer on her journey. Blue is looking forward to some relaxation as he explores the new region--but as one might expect, things never go to plan…

Tightrope
zephyr_iphis

Aisling is a provincial girl trying on a new persona as she moves closer to bright, sparkling civilization and takes part in an exclusive pokemon training program run by the illustrious Sycamore Labs. Impressing the professor enough to get into the even more exclusive mega evolution program and winning all eight Kalos badges is a tall order, but Luck has always been Aisling's lady.

With lycée over, Xoana is floundering in a pool of her own abandoned interests and aborted hobbies. So she follows her friends as they pursue their dreams, hoping for a change, inspiration, and maybe just a bit of adventure. But Aisling’s brand might be a tad more than she bargained for. These days she doesn’t know whether to be excited or tired and which is the more dangerous.

Credits:

Editors: @songwithnosoul, @cjapples
Assistant Editors: @littlebattler, @SilverDoe, @Metafiction
Voiceover: @Rainey, @Raderph, @SayleeK, @SilverDoe
Writers: @Metafiction, @Garish Garchomp, @SimplyUnknown, @Zephyr_Iphis
Assets: Rosella Queen (theme), SeaMaid (jingles), Narxinba (art), other assets from Freesound

Last edited:

SimplyUnknown

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
If you’ve got some thoughts to throw down about the discussion segment, have at it! As usual, we’ve prepared a couple of relevant questions to refer to if you’re not sure where to start:
  • Have you channeled your own experiences with disability or neurodivergence into a character?
  • What sort of resources have you used to supplement or build your knowledge of either of these?
Have I channeled my own experiences? Not intentionally, but that's a tricky thing for me. I don't have a physical disability (other than terrible eyesight, but I can still see), but I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome when I was about 12, though I wasn't told this until I was about 14/15. It doesn't help that I'm considered very high functioning, so it's not really something people know unless I directly tell them. A comment I got from the few people I did tell was 'But you're so...normal'. An odd compliment (which I'm sure was meant as one), but definitely gave me some weird feelings. Because of all these factors, I don't really go into writing a character thinking this one is on the spectrum and this is how I'm going to write them.

That being said, I can't deny that any character an author writes has to have some piece of them if they're more than just a bit character. So some of these characters I've written might be like me. They could have Asperger's or be on the autism spectrum and just be high functioning so no one would know unless I directly wrote it out. But I will acknowledge that since I went undiagnosed for so long, a lot of traits because of my Asperger's were things I considered normal. I like reading, but so do a lot of people. I can quote beloved movies back to front, but so can my little sister who is neurotypical. I don't like being around big groups, but so do lots of other introverts. It's hard to find the line between me and who I would be without the Asperger's, is what I'm saying.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Have you channeled your own experiences with disability or neurodivergence into a character?
In my (sadly cancelled) Pokemon Burst: Blue Moon story (which was an original Pokemon fanfic not based on any playthrough of any game), my interpretation of Gladion was both autistic and asexual, and Ilima was a disguised Mew who was also asexual and had a condition called Klinefelter Syndrome. I myself am asexual and autistic, so I drew from my own experiences for writing some of Gladion (fun fact, I was once so stressed out that I found myself doing that exact same thing with my hands that Gladion does with his in the games). I had no personal experience with Klinefelter Syndrome, though, so that I had to research (and I only knew about it to begin with because of my cat research -- tortoiseshell and calico cats are usually female due to the genetics for those colors requiring two X chromosomes for gender, but Klinefelter Syndrome causes the subject to have XXY chromosomes for gender, generally resulting in infertility and decreased sex drive. Thus, asexual.)

I will say that neurodivergence and straight-up mental illness are going to play into future Aetheraian nuzlockes (God willing that I ever get that far), and I've done a small bit of internet research on sociopathy that hopefully should help me write this one character in my Moon/Ultra sun nuzlocke who's not a complete sociopath, but definitely has severely stunted emotions that give her issues with how she interacts with other people and how she views herself and the world around her. And that's not even getting into the one character that, without giving too much away, is flat-out crazy, psychotically so, and eventually comes to realize this over the course of the adventure and has a complete crisis regarding who she is and how she's going to live with herself. There's also a character in that particular nuzlocke that I consider to be on the autism spectrum, and a character with PTSD, but saying any more would be spoilers. I try not to give too much away about my future projects, although I definitely love talking about them.

On the subject of my current nuzlocke project, Ori's Gift features a Weezing in Missile Bomb (the Team Rocket analogue, which might not even be the bad guys in this world) that has a mental disability (although I've been vague on what exactly it is). I'm also planning on introducing a teammate who has an unusual physical disability sometime late in the story, but I don't want to spoil the specifics!

---

That being said, I do take issue with this particular segment:

Bowser: So, I've touched upon this before, but one of the big thrusts of Ashes to Ashes is that Ashley's feats are not seen as legitimate. This is a common enough theme in disability narratives and, you know, I read a lot of stories about disability because that's something I want to write about even in non-Pokémon spaces, but there was an interesting--or at least I think it's interesting--component to that response in Ashes to Ashes. Ashley, some orphan--she's been chosen apparently at random--is the heir to Ash Ketchum, the greatest Pokémon Trainer in the world, as well as the next heir to literal divine power, power that Ho-oh grants. In other words, people are also jealous of Ashley, not because of her disability but because of the misconception that she has somehow just coasted into a place of privilege. And I think that jealousy is an underutilized tool in stories like this. Pulling on my own experience, I was jealous of my little brother for being in “easy” classes. People can also be jealous of people with disabilities for getting a lot of attention for doing seemingly mundane things. You know, for example ... a person with Down Syndrome goes viral for being popular at prom. Yet, this pedestal that [laughs] people with disabilities can be placed on, that's a construction of neurotypical, able-bodied society, which serves to otherize people with disabilities even when they are seemingly being praised.

Uberle: It’s more like patronizing than like actual--

Rainey: [Crosstalk] Yeah, very patronizing, yeah.

Uberle: --like, actual support. [Laughs]

Rainey: It feels like it's not proper praise, because they're doing it because, you know, [condescending] “Oh, good for you,” that sort of thing.

Bowser: “You did it despite.”

Uberle: Yeah.

Rainey: Mm-hmm.

Bowser: Who knows, maybe the, uh, the person in that video was popular at prom because they paid for all the punch? That had nothing to do with [laughs] their disability.

Rainey: Yeah, maybe they're actually legitimately popular for proper, you know, reasons, not just for their disability, and I think people tend to not see that.

Uberle: It should be like, “Good job, you just did the thing” in general, not “You did it despite the hindrance you have.”
As someone for whom basic tasks can be highly difficult because of my anxiety/brain fog/physical health problems, I see no rudeness in someone taking into account that things are harder for me when they praise me for doing things. Because things ARE harder for me. And pretending they aren't isn't going to make it go away, or mean that I didn't have to try harder than 'normal' people would have to. Sure, some people might be condescending about it, and that's not good, but that doesn't mean everyone is condescending when they praise me for doing something that is hard for me. I might not always be comfortable with the fact that I'm being praised for doing things that 'normal' people just do without thinking about it, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't still an accomplishment for me, personally, to have achieved it. I am not a physically and mentally healthy person by any means, and I see no reason why I should be treated as if I was. My otherness should be accepted for what it is, not glossed over as if it has no bearing on who I am or what I am capable of accomplishing.

Last edited:

Flop disc

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Normal, Poison
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi! As a quick update: it is indeed the week fo April 26 and I am pleased to announce that All Ways is out! For the first 30 days, the ebook will be just $0.99 USD! I've been having a read and have really enjoyed the opening chapters! 💖

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)