• Episode Three of The Writer's Locke is now live! We bid a find farewell to Healing Wish and Tightrope this episode. Also, we'll be chatting about disability and neurodivergence in character writing, and speaking to a debut author!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Restarting Harsh Team Choices Thread

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
Gallade gets Fire Punch, Swords Dance, and Fighting STAB, that's your best option for Rose Tower for all the Steel types. Just set up one against Escavalier and just shred everything I recommend Drain Punch to get health back as well. Both Drain Punch and Fire Punch (alongside Thunder Punch and Ice Punch, which will be useful against the likes of Raihan and Nessa) are TMs in Wyndon.

Garnet

Wolfwalkers? Wolfwalkers.
🌱Featurer
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
Following the logic of Steel-type coverage, it might be worth switching up Oberon's moveset as well if you plan to keep him on the team - With his Adamant nature, his special moves aren't especially helpful, even with Calm Mind to set up with - It lacks the physical defensive bulk necessary to really safely set up against other Pokémon unless neutral/nve special attacks are all they've got, and the already low base special attack stat compounded by a nature that lowers it further the boost doesn't help it too much. With the Adamant nature boosting its already respectable 125 base attack further, and Titania already having STAB fairy coverage, I'd suggest maybe seeing about picking up the TM for Drain Punch in Wyndon's shop and replacing Draining Kiss for it - You still get the recovery, but with a higher power, STAB boost, and extra coverage against Steel types. Might be worth swapping out Psychic for Psycho Cut as well, since despite the lower base power it takes advantage of his higher physical attack, and has a high crit rate like Slash while still being able to be super effective, or otherwise Zen Headbutt for the higher power and flinch. If you're confident in his ability to tank hits while setting up, Swords Dance could replace Calm Mind to give you sweeping opportunities, and depending on the starters Hop and Leon have, swapping Slash for Leaf Blade could give you some extra coverage without sacrificing the high crit rate.

Of course, he's at a significantly lower level than the rest of your mons and I'm suggesting a pretty drastic moveset overhaul with a fair bit of investment, so this is all assuming you particularly want to use him - He's got a bit of a glaring weakness to Leon's Gmax Charizard in particular, and you don't have too much to counter that with on your current team, since it comes packed with a Grass move to hit back against Claydol with, and Fire for Mawile and Bronzong (since the latter lacks Heatproof) :p If you're not attached to keeping him on the team, I'd personally go with the suggestion of Flamethrower Togekiss to swap him for, since that at least gives ya a bit more of a reliable option against Pokémon like Mawile, Ferrothorn, Corviknight, and Bronzong, which all take neutral damage from Fighting and/or can hit back with super effective STAB - Especially with Serene Grace raising the chance to cut their attack with a burn (or other secondary effect chances) and Timid boosting its speed without sacrificing bulk or the special attack it uses for Flamethrower; it'd probably be worth slapping Air Slash on it if it doesn't have it already as well, to take advantage of the already high flinch rate boosted by Serene Grace and speed boosting nature, even moreso if you can get your hands on a Kings Rock for even further flinch boosts.

Neotornado

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
I need to buy a pro account? (He/Him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
Currently going into leon on the grass/electric duolocke. I currently have two teams picked (eldegoss/morpeko and leafeon/rotom-wash) but I'm struggling to pick a third. I'm mostly struggling to deal with leon's haxorus and aegislash, since everyone else is mostly dealt with. This run DOES allow switching between non-pairs, unlike a wedlocke, but if one mon dies the other one is considered instantly dead and can't be used for the remainder of the fight.
Here's the pairs I have so far:
Dedenne/Bellossom (mostly due to bulk on the latter, dunno if the former can OHKO Haxorus with dazzling gleam though)
Dhemise/Rotom-Mow (Dhelmise can underspeed and OHKO with a ghost resist berry, but neither do well on haxorus)
Stunfisk + Cherrim (The former has the best results on aegislash, but the pair isn't solid on haxorus)
Shiftry + Pikachu (Needs to stall out king's shield to KO with dark pulse, and while it can't KO haxorus it can get an icy wind off before dying to poison jab)
And the pairings that don't do super well against Aegislash or Haxorus:
Whimsicott/Boltund
Shiinotic/Pincurchin
Cradily/Arctozolt
Ludicolo/Electabuzz (eviolite)
Togedemaru/Gourgeist
Appletun/Rotom-F
Flapple/Vikavolt
Venusaur/Electrivire
Maractus/Alolan Raichu
Raichu/Alolan Exeggutor
Rotom/Abomasnow
Any thoughts on what last pair I should go with out of that? I'm leaning on stunfisk/cherrim but wondering if anyone has anything else to add

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
Stunfisk and cherrim are the best choice here, Stunfisk can deal with aegislash and you can use wash to deal with haxorus, not easily, but if my falinks that has a lower defense than wash can live an outrage at full, so can yours, be wary of crits tho, hope that rng in on your side and you can pull this off

Neotornado

Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Stunfisk and cherrim are the best choice here, Stunfisk can deal with aegislash and you can use wash to deal with haxorus, not easily, but if my falinks that has a lower defense than wash can live an outrage at full, so can yours, be wary of crits tho, hope that rng in on your side and you can pull this off
I did pick stunfisk/cherrim anyway for the eternatus fight, and that strat worked like a charm. I ended up using cherrim for hax instead of rotom because I wanted to keep the latter healthy for charizard (my rules don't allow for dynamaxing), it was close but I was able to pull through with a salac berry to 2HKO with dazzling gleam.

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
So I'm running Platinum, and just had my first death-my Luxio got killed in a Double Battle north of Solaceon (the one with the level 24 Rapidash, wtf), which leaves my team as Grotle/Staravia/Crobat/Floatzel/Gabite. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna add my Ralts in later on once I can get that Dawn Stone near Pastoria (Adamant male, so ofc I'm going Gallade). The question is, what should I add for now, and what do I do with Eevee (is Modest)?
Box is Bibarel/Graveler (technically in rotation, but I'm not using him for a while since the next two gyms are Fighting/Water)/Psyduck/Kadabra (the trade one)/Budew/Gyarados/Shellos/Buneary/Meditite/Nosepass/Gastly/Shieldon/Ponyta/Chansey/Duskull/Unown (HP Ice).
I'm debating leaving Eevee out for now bc Glaceon is another 'mon I want to use, but I don't want to wait that long...also I can trade evolve, but trade evos have to wait until at least level 35.

Edit like two minutes after posting: Fucking hell, Route 210 gave me a Technician Scyther. I really want to use him since Scyther is probably the highest 'mon on my "want to use" list, but that makes three Flying-types, so I'd have to kick one of the others...I'm fine rotating for now, just thinking about later.

Last edited:

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
If you can evolve Scyther, you could run both Staraptor/Crobat and Scizor. I've never used Scizor but I know from experience how good Bug/Steel is as a typing. Crobat is something I love using but it falls off a bit lategame, so that's probably the most replaceable. Running two flyers isn't really crippling though if it goes that way.

I don't think you need Eevee for now either, so it's probably worth sitting on. You've got a lot of really solid Pokemon so there's no need to make a choice yet.

pikamewphlosion

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m playing Pokémon Red VC, planning to eventuall fight Blue Ultimus. Granted, I’m only at Celadon now, around Level 28, but given how limited Tms are in RBY, I need to plan ahead. I know the game pretty well, so I’m not SUPER scared of getting bulldozed, but I want to keep casualties from here on to a minimum:

current team:
* means a TM was used.
ABRAM the Wartortle. Bubblebeam*, Bite, Body Slam*, Water Gun
DROSSEL the Hypno. Confusion, Thunderwave*, Headbutt, Seismic Toss*
DUX. Fly, Sand Attack, Swords Dance,Cut
ROCKET the Dugtrio (with honestly Garbo Attack DV): Dig, Growl, Scratch, Sand Attack

Current options I’m considering are a Voltorb with some godly DVs, but will need to eat TM24, a Growlithe, and I both the Eevee and a Game Corner Clefairy are up for consideration (im not planning on using stuff I’ve used a hundred times, so no Snorlax, Raticate, Pidgeot, Geodude, for example. A lot of Kanto stuff is still fair game tho, like Tangela, Dodrio, the Eeveelutions...)

PageEmperor

I can’t do money puns. It just won’t make cents.
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
A person who does both comics and runs and whatnot. Okay then.
With both Wartortle and Dugtrio in your main team, a counter for Grass mons would be a good idea so that would mean Growlithe could see some action, with it both resisting Grass and hitting it super effectively. As for Eevee, you can either do Flareon if you aren’t feeling the Growlithe, or Jolteon if you don’t want Voltorb, but you do seem to claim it has really good stats.

I would personally reccomend Jolteon and Growlithe as your last 2 team members, but it’s up to you.

pikamewphlosion

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think I’ll role Jolt/Arc, then: the Arc also has good DVs, and the Eevee? A perfect 15 in Special.

if I get a Dodrio and Tangela, I might retire the Arc, tho.

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
So I'm closing in on the end of my Moon wonderlocke, but the problem is I can't decide on my final six because I've had a lot of good 'mons throughout the run. I just beat Ultra Space Lusamine.
I'm taking these two no matter what since one's my starter and the other's one of my first "catches", and I doubt I'll ever get another chance to use the second:
Decidueye (Leaf Blade/Spirit Shackle/Pluck/Synthesis)
Zweilous *will be evolved before the league, but only to be used against Kukui unless any of the other five die in the E4* (Dragon Pulse/Dark Pulse/Dragon Rush/Crunch)

The rest of the squad:

Flygon (shiny) (Earthquake/Dragon Claw/Rock Slide/Crunch)
Armaldo (Bug Bite/Metal Claw/Smack Down/Fury Cutter)
Charizard (Flamethrower/Wing Attack/Dragon Pulse/Dragon Dance)
Lycanroc (night) (Rock Slide/Crunch/Brick Break/Sand Attack)
Samurott (Scald/Razor Shell/Air Slash/Night Slash)
A-Marowak (Bonemerang/Flame Charge/Brick Break/Rock Tomb)
Lucario (Aura Sphere/Bullet Punch/Power-Up Punch/Force Palm)
Kabutops (Rock Tomb/Scald/Slash/Mud Shot)
Kommo-o (Dragon Claw/Clanging Scales/Sky Uppercut/Rock Tomb)
Zoroark (Foul Play/Feint Attack/Night Slash/U-Turn)
and Cloyster (Skill Link) (Icicle Spear/Rock Blast/Razor Shell/Smart Strike)
Advice on movesets/held items is greatly appreciated as well. I have or can get all available TMs/held items*/Z-Crystals and can relearn moves as needed. I'm aiming for level ~57 for the league (Zweilous excluded).
*One 'mon came with a Life Orb.
I don't know if Flygon or Kommo-o can come since I'm taking Zweilous/Hydreigon, but I would love to take the shiny all the way and Kommo-o has turned into a beast now that he's fully evolved...
'Zard and Luke are my two favorite 'mons, but I don't know how much use the former will get in the endgame. The latter I can definitely see being useful, but if I take Kommo-o he'd be redundant. Zoroark is also a personal favorite, but he's just been kind of "there" for most of the run, and is redundant to Hydreigon.
Both fossils have been solid, especially now that they're evolved, but I feel like I should only take one. I'm leaning Kabutops since he's been really high on my want-to-use list for a while, but...how much use would he be in the endgame? Especially since night Lycanroc was also pretty high on my list and she's been great the whole game.
Marowak and Samurott have both been solid as well, but the former is starting to fall off a little and the latter hasn't really stood out much. And Cloyster was my ace against demon hellspawn abomination (aka Totem Mimikyu), but is that enough to earn her a slot over the others?
Will note that I also have a Torkoal, A-Graveler, and Noivern who I retired from the main squad, although a part of me wants to take Noivern...but I had to drag him for most of the game since Noibat sucks.

Last edited:

Neotornado

Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
So I'm closing in on the end of my Moon wonderlocke, but the problem is I can't decide on my final six because I've had a lot of good 'mons throughout the run. I just beat Ultra Space Lusamine.
I'm taking these two no matter what since one's my starter and the other's one of my first "catches", and I doubt I'll ever get another chance to use the second:
Decidueye (Leaf Blade/Spirit Shackle/Pluck/Synthesis)
Zweilous *will be evolved before the league, but only to be used against Kukui unless any of the other five die in the E4* (Dragon Pulse/Dark Pulse/Dragon Rush/Crunch)

The rest of the squad:

Flygon (shiny) (Earthquake/Dragon Claw/Rock Slide/Crunch)
Armaldo (Bug Bite/Metal Claw/Smack Down/Fury Cutter)
Charizard (Flamethrower/Wing Attack/Dragon Pulse/Dragon Dance)
Lycanroc (night) (Rock Slide/Crunch/Brick Break/Sand Attack)
Samurott (Scald/Razor Shell/Air Slash/Night Slash)
A-Marowak (Bonemerang/Flame Charge/Brick Break/Rock Tomb)
Lucario (Aura Sphere/Bullet Punch/Power-Up Punch/Force Palm)
Kabutops (Rock Tomb/Scald/Slash/Mud Shot)
Kommo-o (Dragon Claw/Clanging Scales/Sky Uppercut/Rock Tomb)
Zoroark (Foul Play/Feint Attack/Night Slash/U-Turn)
and Cloyster (Skill Link) (Icicle Spear/Rock Blast/Razor Shell/Smart Strike)
Advice on movesets/held items is greatly appreciated as well. I have or can get all available TMs/held items*/Z-Crystals and can relearn moves as needed. I'm aiming for level ~57 for the league (Zweilous excluded).
*One 'mon came with a Life Orb.
I don't know if Flygon or Kommo-o can come since I'm taking Zweilous/Hydreigon, but I would love to take the shiny all the way and Kommo-o has turned into a beast now that he's fully evolved...
'Zard and Luke are my two favorite 'mons, but I don't know how much use the former will get in the endgame. The latter I can definitely see being useful, but if I take Kommo-o he'd be redundant. Zoroark is also a personal favorite, but he's just been kind of "there" for most of the run, and is redundant to Hydreigon.
Both fossils have been solid, especially now that they're evolved, but I feel like I should only take one. I'm leaning Kabutops since he's been really high on my want-to-use list for a while, but...how much use would he be in the endgame? Especially since night Lycanroc was also pretty high on my list and she's been great the whole game.
Marowak and Samurott have both been solid as well, but the former is starting to fall off a little and the latter hasn't really stood out much. And Cloyster was my ace against demon hellspawn abomination (aka Totem Mimikyu), but is that enough to earn her a slot over the others?
Will note that I also have a Torkoal, A-Graveler, and Noivern who I retired from the main squad, although a part of me wants to take Noivern...but I had to drag him for most of the game since Noibat sucks.
Breaking this down into each E4 member then the champ:
Hala: Hala does not have much coverage against fairies but it seems like you lack those... Charizard might be a pretty good bet but I'd make sure you can KO poliwrath before it gets waterfall off. (or swap to decidueye who can tank it)
Olivia: Probably the easiest fight if you have rock's weaknesses (decidueye is one of them, and samurott, lucario, flygon, and kabutops all work as the second), the main danger points are earth power probopass and counter lycanroc. Flygon is probably my pick because of shiny swag, but be careful with that lycanroc since it has full physical defense investment! Pick at it with special moves if you can.
Accerola: Eviolite Zwel can actually handle this okay enough if you avoid froslass. As long as you geet lucky with hustle of course. Barring that, Zoroark is your best bet here if you don't mind repeating a typing. Samurott also does a decent job when paired up with a ghost-resist berry decidueye, but watch out for coverage.
Kahili: Kahili's coverage is... uh... not good. Kabutops and lycanroc can both run wild here, but both might end up getting outsped at points. If you don't mind restatting EV's then I'd HEAVILY advise being able to outsped her toucannon at the very least. You'll need a speed stat of at least 123 to get a certain outspeed.
Final battle: Lycanroc is guaranteed to get stealth rock up unless you decide to use custap berry/quick claw lucario or samurott like a madman. Its pretty toothless otherwise so you could actually set up with some mons. Just be aware that ninetales is fast, magnezone has sturdy + mirror coat, and incineroar has the Z-move.
Sorry if that was pretty unhelpful, but I'd advise running damage calcs to make sure you're all set and good. Also don't discount torkoal! Even if it didn't get drought, its stats can allow for some decent matchups in the endgame. Here's the exact stats on S/M trainers if you need to run calcs: Overall there isn't MUCH dragon/fairy/ice coverage so don't worry too much about repeating types. Flygon can pull its weight so bringing that could be a decent choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)