• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Nine of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode contains a discussion segment on gjinka nuzlockes, as well as the continuations of all our fabulous featured stories.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Restarting Harsh Team Choices Thread

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
Oh, so when Onix eats rocks and soil, it's fine, but when I do it, it's suddenly "an affront to nature" and "destroying Mrs. Crenshaw's zen garden"?
what about the Aipom with future technician and 2 perfect IVs? I know IVs aren’t the end of the world ingame, but the difference between 1 and 31 is still again to a 15 base stat point difference
He's definitely a real contender. Having something with U-turn that fast is also nice since your rule set limits how much you can swap around. I'd try to avoid having him, Umbreon, and Mamo all on the same team to limit your weakness to the admittedly rare fighting moves

Blackstarlight17

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Has no concrete sleep schedule and is often covered in cats. If found sleeping and is needed, just smack her with a bag of frozen milky way bars.
Okay, so I'm working on an AlphaSapphire run and planning on tackling Archie and his gang up in Mt. Chimney. For my run, I can only stick with the first six Pokemon I've caught until I either lose someone or get the fourth badge. I'm also open to advice regarding Flannery as well in case my Pelipper may not be enough.

Advice on who to improve, be it moves or levels, I'm all ears. Same with whether to try and trade evolve my Kadabra now or wait until later.

Magnus - Male - Blaze - Timid, Takes plenty of siestas - Level 28
Moves: Rock Tomb, Ember, Double Kick, Flame Charge
Item: oran berry

Edgar - Male - Intimidate - Mild, Highly persistent - Level 27
Moves: Snarl, Bite, Howl, Rock Smash

Radella - Female - Trace - Impish, Sturdy body - Level 28
Moves: Confusion, Magical Leaf, Draining Kiss, Calm Mind
Item: Quick Claw

Calvert - Male - Keen Eye - Naive, Somewhat vain - Level 29
Moves: Air Cutter, Water Pulse, Brine, Steel Wing

Harper - Male - Swarm - Naive, Likes to thrash about - Level 28
Moves: Mega Drain, Air Cutter, Stun Spore, Silver Wind

Ethel - Female - Inner Focus - Impish, Somewhat stubborn - Level 29
Moves: Psycho Cut, Thief, Miracle Eye, Psybeam
Roar, Bulk Up, Smack Down, Dig, Rock Tomb, Thief, Round, Echoed Voice, Steel Wing, False Swipe, Sky Drop, Shadow Claw, Flash, Volt Switch, Secret Power

Cut, Strength, Rock Smash

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
Oh, so when Onix eats rocks and soil, it's fine, but when I do it, it's suddenly "an affront to nature" and "destroying Mrs. Crenshaw's zen garden"?
Honestly, your team looks about as good as it can get for your point in the game. The only real advice I have is go ahead and hit that LV. 30 mark to get yourself a Gardevoir. I'd maybe put the Dig TM on Combusken and Mightyena before you fight Flannery to make that fight a little easier, but that's about it. You can get the Soft Sand from the kid on Slateport beach. I think Flash on Kadabra is a little more useful than Psycho Cut, but that's a nitpick.

There's no reason not to go ahead and evolve the Kadabra.

Blackstarlight17

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Has no concrete sleep schedule and is often covered in cats. If found sleeping and is needed, just smack her with a bag of frozen milky way bars.
Honestly, your team looks about as good as it can get for your point in the game. The only real advice I have is go ahead and hit that LV. 30 mark to get yourself a Gardevoir. I'd maybe put the Dig TM on Combusken and Mightyena before you fight Flannery to make that fight a little easier, but that's about it. You can get the Soft Sand from the kid on Slateport beach. I think Flash on Kadabra is a little more useful than Psycho Cut, but that's a nitpick.

There's no reason not to go ahead and evolve the Kadabra.

That's good to hear and I'll put Dig on Magnus and Edgar, just have to pick which moves to drop. Might drop Rock Tomb for Magnus. And I have soft sand, so I'll give it to one of them.

I could try reteaching Ethel Flash, I only taught her Psycho Cut as it wasn't something you see often thought it might be useful.

And I'll try to get Radella evolved fully, though she might succeed by facing Team Aqua and the trainers on Jagged Pass after.

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
That's good to hear and I'll put Dig on Magnus and Edgar, just have to pick which moves to drop. Might drop Rock Tomb for Magnus. And I have soft sand, so I'll give it to one of them.

I could try reteaching Ethel Flash, I only taught her Psycho Cut as it wasn't something you see often thought it might be useful.

And I'll try to get Radella evolved fully, though she might succeed by facing Team Aqua and the trainers on Jagged Pass after.
I did think of one other thing. Your Combusken is a Timid nature, which makes it a good special attacker. You might consider going back to Mauville and letting it learn Fire Pledge. I would keep Rock Tomb on for the Archie fight just because that gives you an emergency option for his bat, but then swap it for Dig for Flannery.

I'd get rid of either Snarl or Howl on Mightyena. Howl is nice, but you can always replicate it with X-Attacks, and while the SpAttack drop on Snarl is nice, Mightyena doesn't have much Special Attack and should kill before a drop like that comes into play.

Blackstarlight17

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
I did think of one other thing. Your Combusken is a Timid nature, which makes it a good special attacker. You might consider going back to Mauville and letting it learn Fire Pledge. I would keep Rock Tomb on for the Archie fight just because that gives you an emergency option for his bat, but then swap it for Dig for Flannery.

I'd get rid of either Snarl or Howl on Mightyena. Howl is nice, but you can always replicate it with X-Attacks, and while the SpAttack drop on Snarl is nice, Mightyena doesn't have much Special Attack and should kill before a drop like that comes into play.

I'll drop Snarl for now. I have it in my rules where x items can't be used, so Howl would be beneficial if needed. I've had to much bad luck using certain items in battle and having it end poorly, so I'm better off either going full frontal attack or have the moves to do that. Plus I may end up boxing Edgar and likely Harper after Flannery since I'll be able to swap Pokemon out for future gyms at that point.

I'll also think about dropping Rock Tomb after Archie but I'll likely use Ethel or Radella for his bat. But thanks for mentioning Fire Pledge, I forgot you can get it in Mauville City, so that'll be perfect to replace Ember.

Blackstarlight17

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
So I just beat Flannery in my AlphaSapphire run so far and I'm a tad bit nervous regarding Norman.

Advice on how to adjust my team would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking of swapping Edgar and Harper out for Bernard and Aldrich. The list may change as I've yet to catch everything that's available.

Magnus - Male - Blaze - Timid, Takes plenty of siestas - Level 30
Moves: Rock Tomb (might replace with Dig), Fire Pledge, Double Kick, Flame Charge
Item: Oran berry

Edgar - Male - Intimidate - Mild, Highly persistent - Level 31
Moves: Dig, Bite, Howl, Rock Smash
Item: Soft Sand (might replace with Black Glasses)

Radella - Female - Trace - Impish, Sturdy body - Level 33
Moves: Psychic, Magical Leaf, Draining Kiss, Calm Mind

Calvert - Male - Keen Eye - Naive, Somewhat vain - Level 32

Harper - Male - Swarm - Naive, Likes to thrash about - Level 33
Moves: Giga Drain, Air Cutter, Stun Spore, Silver Wind

Ethel - Female - Inner Focus - Impish, Somewhat stubborn - Level 33
Moves: Psybeam, Thief, Telekinesis, Flash

Sherwood - Male - Gluttony - Hardy, Highly curious - Level 13
Moves: Yawn, Poison Gas, Sludge, Amnesia
Item: n/a

Bailey - Female - Oblivious - Lonely, Thoroughly cunning - Level 14
Moves: Tackle, Sweet Scent, Charm, Quick Attack

Bernard - Male - No Guard - Lax, Mischievous - Level 17
Moves: Tickle, Foresight, Low Sweep, Seismic Toss
Item: Focus Band

Patrick - Male - Own Tempo - Impish, Likes to relax - Level 9
Moves: Tackle, Copycat

Aldrich - Male - Shed Skin - Quirky, Capable of taking hits - Level 31
Moves: Assurance, Venom Drench, Night Slash, Gastro Acid

Stokley - Male - Shadow Tag - Lax, Sturdy body - Level 1
Moves: Splash, Charm, Encore
Roar, Bulk Up, Smack Down, Dig, Double Team, Rock Tomb, Flame Charge, Thief, Round, Echoed Voice, Overheat, Steel Wing, False Swipe, Sky Drop, Incinerate, Shadow Claw, Rock Polish, Flash, Volt Switch, Secret Power

Float Stone x1, Everstone x1, Black Glasses x1, Silk Scarf x1, HP Up x1, Protein x1, Zinc x1

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
So I just beat Flannery in my AlphaSapphire run so far and I'm a tad bit nervous regarding Norman.

Advice on how to adjust my team would be greatly appreciated. I am thinking of swapping Edgar and Harper out for Bernard and Aldrich. The list may change as I've yet to catch everything that's available.

Magnus - Male - Blaze - Timid, Takes plenty of siestas - Level 30
Moves: Rock Tomb (might replace with Dig), Fire Pledge, Double Kick, Flame Charge

Edgar - Male - Intimidate - Mild, Highly persistent - Level 31
Moves: Dig, Bite, Howl, Rock Smash
Item: Soft Sand (might replace with Black Glasses)

Radella - Female - Trace - Impish, Sturdy body - Level 33
Moves: Psychic, Magical Leaf, Draining Kiss, Calm Mind

Calvert - Male - Keen Eye - Naive, Somewhat vain - Level 32

Harper - Male - Swarm - Naive, Likes to thrash about - Level 33
Moves: Giga Drain, Air Cutter, Stun Spore, Silver Wind

Ethel - Female - Inner Focus - Impish, Somewhat stubborn - Level 33
Moves: Psybeam, Thief, Telekinesis, Flash

Sherwood - Male - Gluttony - Hardy, Highly curious - Level 13
Moves: Yawn, Poison Gas, Sludge, Amnesia

Bailey - Female - Oblivious - Lonely, Thoroughly cunning - Level 14
Moves: Tackle, Sweet Scent, Charm, Quick Attack

Bernard - Male - No Guard - Lax, Mischievous - Level 17
Moves: Tickle, Foresight, Low Sweep, Seismic Toss
Item: Focus Band

Patrick - Male - Own Tempo - Impish, Likes to relax - Level 9
Moves: Tackle, Copycat

Aldrich - Male - Shed Skin - Quirky, Capable of taking hits - Level 31
Moves: Assurance, Venom Drench, Night Slash, Gastro Acid

Stokley - Male - Shadow Tag - Lax, Sturdy body - Level 1
Moves: Splash, Charm, Encore
Roar, Bulk Up, Smack Down, Dig, Double Team, Rock Tomb, Flame Charge, Thief, Round, Echoed Voice, Overheat, Steel Wing, False Swipe, Sky Drop, Incinerate, Shadow Claw, Rock Polish, Flash, Volt Switch, Secret Power

Float Stone x1, Everstone x1, Black Glasses x1, Silk Scarf x1, HP Up x1, Protein x1, Zinc x1

For the Norman fight, it's definitely not a bad idea to swap in at least the Machop. Fighting types are always handy in that gym. I wouldn't remove Mightyena; Intimidate and Rock Smash can come in handy against him. Kadabra seems too frail to be safe to use against a Slaking, so if you're looking to swap something out, I'd start there. I try and have my starter fully evolved before Norman. The other thing you can do is have Pelipper relearn Protect and abuse Truant.

Last edited:

Blackstarlight17

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
For the Norman fight, it's definitely not a bad idea to swap in at least the Machop. Fighting types are always handy in that gym. I wouldn't remove Mightyena; Intimidate and Rock Smash can come in handy against him. Kadabra seems too frail to be safe to use against a Slaking, so if you're looking to swap something out, I'd start there. I try and have my starter fully evolved before Norman. The other thing you can do is have Pelipper relearn Protect and abuse Truant.

I'll take Bernard out then to train up, I still need to catch more Pokemon that might help balance things out. I've got several places I skipped, including trainers for situations like these.

You might be right about Ethel and might box her temporarily when I do fight Norman, but might keep her to help with training. Jagged Pass has a lot of Machop I can battle with the exp. share on for Bernard and whoever else I bring that might need it.

Not sure where Calvert can relearn Protect or what to drop for a move, probably Brine. Is there a store available that sells the TM or on the ground somewhere I can pick up?

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
I'll take Bernard out then to train up, I still need to catch more Pokemon that might help balance things out. I've got several places I skipped, including trainers for situations like these.

You might be right about Ethel and might box her temporarily when I do fight Norman, but might keep her to help with training. Jagged Pass has a lot of Machop I can battle with the exp. share on for Bernard and whoever else I bring that might need it.

Not sure where Calvert can relearn Protect or what to drop for a move, probably Brine. Is there a store available that sells the TM or on the ground somewhere I can pick up?
You can take a heart scale to the Move Relearner in Fallarbor Town to relearn moves. You can find a heart scale as a hidden item on most beaches, such as this one near Granite Cave: https://m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hoenn_Route_106

No sense in having both Brine and Water Pulse. Brine has slightly higher base power, so I'd keep it, but you get Surf right afterwards, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Blackstarlight17

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
You can take a heart scale to the Move Relearner in Fallarbor Town to relearn moves. You can find a heart scale as a hidden item on most beaches, such as this one near Granite Cave: https://m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Hoenn_Route_106

No sense in having both Brine and Water Pulse. Brine has slightly higher base power, so I'd keep it, but you get Surf right afterwards, so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Okay, I'll be sure to swing back to Granite Cave when I plan to trek through Meteor Falls. And I'll probably keep Water Pulse. I've had good luck with it and the chance to confuse someone will be helpful in a pinch.

Skarmizard

The metal dragon bird
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
So I'm doing a wonderlocke in Moon, and I just beat Totem Vikavolt and Guzma. Trying to get something prepared for Totem Mimikyu, but...I don't like my chances. I've got a lot of Pokémon, but nothing really seems good against it, and I'm worried.
I don't really have a concrete team because I've been rotating constantly, so I'm just gonna list everything I have:
Dartrix, Deino, Lycanroc (night), Trapinch (shiny, EQ/Crunch/Bulldoze/Rock Slide), Charmeleon (Flare Blitz/Dragon Dance), Lucario, Eevee (neutral nature), Pinsir, Anorith, Frillish, Snivy (Contrary), Tauros, Yanma, Lileep, Torkoal, Shuppet, A-Sandshrew, A-Marowak, Snover, Jangmo-o, A-Geodude, Kabuto, Minior, Dewott, Bagon, Gible, Fennekin, Heracross, Noibat, Stufful, Zorua, Shellder (Adamant/Skill Link/Icicle Spear/Rock Blast)
I have or can get any available TM/held items. Also Lucario and Anorith are the only two 'mons with Steel moves right now (but I have the Smart Strike and Steel Wing TMs). I can still make catches between Route 12 and the trial site, but...outside of insane luck, I don't know of anything that would be super handy...

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
I reckon Torkoal, with its Fairy resist and high defense, could be useful. Alolan Geodude could also evolve and Volt Switch out on the first turn, breaking Disguise in order to safely get in something else more suited for the job. Hope you have Sturdy though, or perhaps use the Eviolite and hope you don't get crit.

Tauros gets Smart Strike too. If he has Intimidate, that will surely help. Lucario might be only able to take one hit but could do some decent damage once Disguise is broken. Minior and Pinsir might be able to take one hit I guess...? Totem Mimikyu is a mess unless you have magnets.

Mr Spaz

I caught the big– OH SHIT
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
"Your Majesty" is gender neutral. (he/him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying, Ghost
Another option (that I went with in my UM Wonderlocke) would be to evolve the Eevee to Sylveon (any of them but Espeon would probably work, but Sylveon could also give you Cute Charm hax, as Attract is unaffected by Mimikyu's Lum Berry) and make sure it has both Psych Up (TM obtained from beating Collector Andrew on Route 12) and Sand Attack. Use Psyche Up turn 1 to gain its Totem boost, kill the ally turn 2 then just start spamming Sand Attack (while killing the other ally if it comes out)

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry
I reckon Torkoal, with its Fairy resist and high defense, could be useful. Alolan Geodude could also evolve and Volt Switch out on the first turn, breaking Disguise in order to safely get in something else more suited for the job. Hope you have Sturdy though, or perhaps use the Eviolite and hope you don't get crit.

Tauros gets Smart Strike too. If he has Intimidate, that will surely help. Lucario might be only able to take one hit but could do some decent damage once Disguise is broken. Minior and Pinsir might be able to take one hit I guess...? Totem Mimikyu is a mess unless you have magnets.
I like this strategy. You can also use something that gets U-Turn (TM89 in Malie City at the Pokemart) like Yanma, Noibat, Decidueye, or Zorroark to break disguise. You get the Steelium Z from the observatory just before the Mimikyu fight, so that's a good way to power up your steel move to bop it.

The other thing to consider is Cloyster with its massive 180 physical defense and multi-strike moves, which helps get around Disguise. It even learns Smart Strike, so if you wanted to, you could Icicle Spear through Disguise, and then bop it on turn two with Corkscrew Crash.

Blackstarlight17

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
I stumbled upon a Crystal run I had started months back and want to try and get further along. I found the notes and from what I last put down, I've gotten three badges but only five members in the team. I have Pokemon in the PC though, but I don't know who to put in or what to replace in general if I were to do an overhaul on everyone for any of the upcoming gyms.

There are also some places I haven't seem to have gotten encounters for, so I could try for them or hold off a little longer. I have a good rod right now, so fishing spots that weren't available then are now, same with using headbutt. Places I haven't gotten anything from are Cherrygrove City, Azalea Town, Goldenrod City (I haven't gotten the Eevee or a Game Corner prize), Ecruteak City, Olivine City, or from Route 40. I'll try and go back for some of those encounters and update this if I catch anything.

Aster - Female - Level 22
Moves: Bite, Leer, Rage, Water Gun

Alfalfa - Male - Level 22
Moves: Tackle, Flail, Defense Curl, Mud-Slap
Item: Poison Cure Berry

Lonicera - Male - Level 21
Moves: Scratch, Leer, Lick, Dig
Item: Paralyze Cure Berry

Nymphea - Female - Level 22
Moves: Swift, Charm, Headbutt, Sweet Kiss

Xylosma - … - Level 19
Moves: Tackle, Thunder Shock, Supersonic, Sonic Boom
Item: Magnet

Lotus - Female - Level 6
Moves: Curse, Tackle, Growl

Jigglypuff
Dianthus - Female - Level 12
Moves: Sing, Defense Curl, Pound

Wisteria - Female - Level 5
Moves: Pound, Charm, Dizzy Punch

Amaryllis - Male - Level 12
Moves: Tackle, Scary Face, Tail Whip, Charm

Peony - Female - Level 4
Moves: Tackle, Growl

Foxglove - Female - Level 11
Moves: Tackle, Disable, Foresight, Supersonic

Mayflower - Female - Level 14
Moves: Leech Life, Supersonic, Bite
Quick Claw, Miracle Seed
Headbutt, Rollout, Rock Smash, Sweet Scent, Fury Cutter, Cut, Strength, Flash

PageEmperor

Did you bring a light? (No?)
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Just a guy with way to many ongoing Nuzlockes.
I stumbled upon a Crystal run I had started months back and want to try and get further along. I found the notes and from what I last put down, I've gotten three badges but only five members in the team. I have Pokemon in the PC though, but I don't know who to put in or what to replace in general if I were to do an overhaul on everyone for any of the upcoming gyms.

There are also some places I haven't seem to have gotten encounters for, so I could try for them or hold off a little longer. I have a good rod right now, so fishing spots that weren't available then are now, same with using headbutt. Places I haven't gotten anything from are Cherrygrove City, Azalea Town, Goldenrod City (I haven't gotten the Eevee or a Game Corner prize), Ecruteak City, Olivine City, or from Route 40. I'll try and go back for some of those encounters and update this if I catch anything.

Xylosma - … - Level 19

Lotus - Female - Level 6

Jigglypuff

Peony - Female - Level 4

Quick Claw, Miracle Seed
For having 2 mons weak to Grass and one that can't really do much to Grass mons (Magnemite) I would recommend taking a flyer along, most particularly the Zubat. Since this is gen2 and all and there is no final form or anything then I also kinda would say ditch Togepi for maybe the Cleffa or something I dunno. Also, teach Teddiursa Headbutt. Or Strength.

Nate

A friend
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Rock
Pokédex Entry

Xylosma - … - Level 19

Lotus - Female - Level 6

Jigglypuff

Peony - Female - Level 4

Quick Claw, Miracle Seed
Just a minor moveset suggestion, you can get the Elemental punches at the Goldenrod Department Store. I'd recommend Ice Punch on Croconaw. I'd also take a minute to beat the Kimono Girls to grab the Surf HM for it.

In the towns the only encounters you get are Headbutt trees and fishing. The latter is worthless to you because you picked the Water starter, and the only worthwhile thing I see in the former is Heracross, so it's up to you if you want to try and backtrack to try and find one.

Eevee is also a notable choice for that last slot (I've personally never had the patience to grind for a Game Corner 'mon). Espeon is a great Psychic type if you can evolve it early enough that it actually learns a Psychic move. Umbreon has a bit of a shallow movepool, so I think it's harder to use, but it is one of the few Dark types you can get before the Elite Four.

Blackstarlight17

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
For having 2 mons weak to Grass and one that can't really do much to Grass mons (Magnemite) I would recommend taking a flyer along, most particularly the Zubat. Since this is gen2 and all and there is no final form or anything then I also kinda would say ditch Togepi for maybe the Cleffa or something I dunno. Also, teach Teddiursa Headbutt. Or Strength.
I'll see about taking Cleffa, though I might try and at least get my Togepi to evolve before boxing it. This way if things got bad and I needed a flyer, I'll have more options than a Hoothoot and a Zubat. More so if the Zubat gets killed.

Headbutt on my Teddiursa might be good as well as Strength, so I might do both if not teach my Phanpy Strength if he can learn it that is.

Blackstarlight17

Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Just a minor moveset suggestion, you can get the Elemental punches at the Goldenrod Department Store. I'd recommend Ice Punch on Croconaw. I'd also take a minute to beat the Kimono Girls to grab the Surf HM for it.

In the towns the only encounters you get are Headbutt trees and fishing. The latter is worthless to you because you picked the Water starter, and the only worthwhile thing I see in the former is Heracross, so it's up to you if you want to try and backtrack to try and find one.

Eevee is also a notable choice for that last slot (I've personally never had the patience to grind for a Game Corner 'mon). Espeon is a great Psychic type if you can evolve it early enough that it actually learns a Psychic move. Umbreon has a bit of a shallow movepool, so I think it's harder to use, but it is one of the few Dark types you can get before the Elite Four.

I forgot about Goldenrod having those TMs, so I'll go back and get those while doing some grinding. And I know the options are limited with Headbutt being a major RNG as well as fishing but it's better than nothing.

I'll think about using either Espeon or Umbreon. Given how it'll be harder to get evolution stones, they may be a better option than trying to aim for Flareon or Jolteon, the former mostly if I wanted more type coverage.

And the GameCorner, I don't really mind grinding a bit as it'll be a bit of a break from actual grinding and taking notes. So if I get lucky with getting coins, might go for possibly Cubone since it's an odd one. Abra is good, but if I do go for Espeon, it'll be kind of moot, plus I won't have any way to evolve it into Alakazam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)