• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Comic Galar Teen Mon Questionable Influence - Sword Nuzlocke comic

Thread Description
A weird character driven dramedy crossover nuzlocke comic full of avoiding sword's plot, clashing moralities and ascended fridge horror.

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I love the scene where Corrin talks about all the 'lame' Pokemon you can use in smash. I don't blame her for wanting to keep the Pokemon instead of having them disappear after a while! Also a very cool concept to incorporate the different colors/forms of Corrin and smash characters in general! What a fun idea. I also really like the way you draw the Onix. It almost reminds me of a caterpillar with a bird's beak. I'm not sure if that was your intention but I think it's really cool!
I've been waiting to draw that lame legendary pokemon joke for a while, and I'm glad you like it! She could only take so much of pokemon trainer getting to keep squirtle when alolan vulpix disappeared every time she found one. I'm pretty excited to play around with the idea of how the alternate costumes in smash would work in universe. With the onix I was trying to change up some of the features so it didn't look identical to every other onix.
And now for the next page!
6EcR43v.png

Author's notes:
*Fun fact, according to the dex sobbles turn invisible when they're wet.

*That panel in where they play darts was originally a panel of the team climbing up one of the pipes in Monostoke with Sussie spreading her arms like she was the queen of the world on top of it. Corrin flew onto something much higher in the background, but she was so small you could barely notice her. Because of that and the fact it didn't really show much about the characters I cut it and replaced it with the darts panel after remembering there was a place where a trainer was practicing pokeball throwing at a target in Monostoke. I think it shows more of the characters, with Yuuya scoring a bullseye and Sundae attempting to stab Corrin with his dart.

*Sundae's nature is Gentle which has a preference for bitter foods. While he may like the taste of rawst berries, it doesn't change the fact that he doesn't want to be here. While free food can be an unspoken motivator for pokemon joining a team, buying stealing a lunch is no where near enough to prove why Corrin should be Sundae's trainer.(The entire time she's caught him Corrin's only been proving why Sundae should get a restraining order on her.)

*While carnivorous pokemon have evolved to be omnivorous and most pokemon don't have the heart to hunt, it's only a matter of time before one that does jumps in at a chance to attack an alone and weak pokemon. This is what Sundae is referring to.

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
It's time for another page!
FYSKIOs.png

Author's notes:
*This was my original idea for what was going to happen in Monostoke, however then I got the idea for the lunch seen on the last page and it just ballooned into two pages.

*While you aren't allowed to use the GTS in nuzlockes, there aren't any rules to stop Corrin in-universe from failing to use it. Trying to steal from it would be rather ineffective as the pokeballs containing the actual pokemon are stored elsewhere and are transported using the same technology as the PC system. The GTS it's self is only a few feet deep, and there a different building behind it. People's requests here are just as reasonable as they are in the games. And that's not even getting into the implications of a worldwide trade station where you don't even see the other trainer's face before trading...

*As mentioned in the last page Corrin Koopa can't read very well. This page started with the joke of not being able to spell Kyurem's name, I then realized that she would struggle to read the pokemon being asked, and thus she butchers every name she reads slowly to the point she doesn't even realize what she's saying half the time. At least one member of the team can read, considering that most wild pokemon wouldn't really have a need to read which would make learning opportunities scarce.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Poor Sundae. Kidnapped and forced into friendship. Maybe Corrin is right and somehow by the end of the game they will become friends.

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
Poor Sundae. Kidnapped and forced into friendship. Maybe Corrin is right and somehow by the end of the game they will become friends.
Sundae was put into a pretty hard position. Maybe they'll find a way to be friends, maybe he'll escape, or maybe something tragic will happen in 2 pages.
And now for the classic pokemon with a crush in a nuzlocke. How long do you think he'll last?
lG6vMyU.png

Author's note:
*Ah yes the classic pokemon with a crush. Let's just say that this is going to go about as well as a train crashing into a boat. We all know the fate of pokemon with a crush in nuzlockes. Did I mention that there's a random trainer battle on the next page?

*Jay's younger brothers just pressured him into joining a team because there was a cute girl on it. They totally aren't going to regret encouraging him later.

*When I first caught Jay, I wasn't really to thrilled. I have trained up a Pancham before in the post game of Y, and I was hoping to use pokemon I've never used before. The disappointment is represented here by having Jay be so weak, he can't even take out a Zigzagoon without taking a lot of damage. Though he probably wouldn't have been that bad battle wise.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Omg I can relate so much to Sussie's excitement over finding someone with the same obscure interests as you! And poor Jay got in way over his head now that he opened that can of worms lol never lie to impress someone!! Also I love how protective out little Skwovent friend being so protective!

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
Omg I can relate so much to Sussie's excitement over finding someone with the same obscure interests as you! And poor Jay got in way over his head now that he opened that can of worms lol never lie to impress someone!! Also I love how protective out little Skwovent friend being so protective!
In the wild it can be pretty hard to find other pokemon that like movies/books/videogames due to how limited access is to them is out there in the wild, much less finding a pokemon who likes the same one. Jay's digging himself into a pretty deep hole of lies, and it only gets deeper since he joined a trainer that will travel away from his home and he doesn't know Sussie enough to know if they're compatible. He's going to learn that lesson the hard way.
And now it's time for a random trainer battle!
84hQozW.png
'
Author's notes:
*In game I came across school girl Hanna and her Pancham. I had Ava out at front, so I switched to Yuuya. But then Pancham spammed circle throw. Circle throw switches you out to a random pokemon. Jay had taken some damage from a fighting some wild pokemon earlier, and everyone else was weak to fighting type moves. I could get in some chip damage with Sussie's fake out, but Yuuya was the only one who could safely take her Pancham out. Everyone else would fall in one hit. After using my only potion to heal Yuuya, I knew I had to sacrifice someone to win.

*I could have added in some more random trainer battles so this one didn't wave a giant death flag, but this is really early into the game, and a random trainer battle at this point would just drag this already long story out even more. I'm already on page 29 and just got out of Monostoke, at this rate I'm going to start the first gym battle at around page 72-74 depending on how I cut up pages. I actually counted. My partially complete buffer is that ridiculous.

*I was originally going to combine this page with the last so Jay would last less before potentially meeting doom, but the page got to long with both scenes together so I split it.

*It's clear that the first casualty will come up, but who will it be? Will it be Sussie who was weak in battle and was given a lot of character focus just to make the audience cry harder? Will it be Sundae, who was weak, the only one I was excited about having on my team and would be tragic as he would be kidnapped yet never get the chance to go home? Or will it be Jay, the only pokemon that was decent in battle of the three, but I wasn't interested in training another Pancham and he is a nuzlocke mon with a crush?
You can guess what the resolution to this cliffhanger is in this poll here. I'm curious to see what people think.

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
well uh, this is not a good scenario

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Oooooh man, I hate Nuzlocke moments like this!!! Corrin's inner monologue is so relatable. I will admit though that I laughed when she attempted to use her 'trap card' lol. I honestly really don't know who is going to meet their end here, and I'm going to be sad to see any of them go!. I think I'm going to guess Sundae, but I can see it going any way and I can't wait to find out what happens!

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
9NaitVb.png

Author's notes:
*In the end I decided to sacrifice Sundae. I don't remember my exact reason why, as he was the one I was the most excited to train of the three. But I think it had something to do with his only attacking move being Astonish at the time. It is a 30 base power ghost type move. Sussie did more with scratch and had fakeout. Jay was stronger. While Sundae had great potential, this was early game, and I needed usable pokemon now. There was plenty of time latter for me to catch more cool pokemon. But if Sundae was one level higher and knew icy wind, I think this comic would have been a very different story.

*This causality was caused by my recklessness in game. But in game I thought it was kind of perfect. I was being reckless and then I was punished with being forced to sacrifice one of my pokemon. It was entirely my fault and it wasn't from something completely unexpected like a crit out of nowhere. it also didn't come from punishing me from not studying the game's most obscure mechanics/the foes team before I fought them.

*This might sound odd, but I'm kind of glad that this happened. It made me appreciate Sussie and Jay a lot more, and got them both permanent spots on the team. I can't even imagine this comic without Sussie and Ava's friendship, or the stuff with Jay that comes later. If Sundae didn't fall here, I don't think I would have used them, and the comic wouldn't be what it is now. It encouraged me to use the next four pokemon I came across despite of their strength, and my team would end up really different if this never happened. Would I even have a comic? One of them I was really excited about when I first started planning out this comic, and had an in game moment that just cemented that I wanted to make this nuzlocke a comic.

*Vanillite can learn how to float instead of hover. But Corrin never actually trained Sundae, causing him to immediately lose when asked to do it in a battle.

*Don't worry, Sundae's just fainted. Despite Corrin saying he is dead and not knowing to check if he's still breathing, he just fainted. Even if Yuuya said he was dead, this page was cut in half and his reasons why will be shown on the next page. I felt like it would be a bit pointlessly edgy to kill off a pokemon this early in the comic, especially one that only gained a single level before falling. I decided to make Sundae a pokemon that just does not want a trainer because he prefers his life in the wild, and never decides that having a trainer is not so bad. A lot of pokemon I see in comics are 100% okay with being caught despite not being asked first, or are mad not at being caught but at the trainer being a bad trainer. Since Sundae was in the team for only such a small time, I saw it as a perfect chance to make a pokemon that unrepentantly wants to go home until the end. Sundae only lasted around 10 pages before getting the boot. Sundae got off very lightly here. All of the casualties moving forward will be a lot more serious. Also that girl would be freaking out if her Pancham died.

*Sundae is the least developed character here. He only gained a level in game before falling, and never really felt like an important character because of that. The majority of his character is that he lived a happy life with his family and then he was kidnapped and became very stressed. While I could have defined his normal personality and hobbies more, I couldn't really think of anything and he gets to do so little it wasn't really worth going out of my way to give him more personality. Even the mon with a crush and the walking joke has more thought but into their backstories and characters. Though despite his small role I feel like Sundae had a large impact by making Sussie and Jay important members of my team and story, and how freaked out other people will get when Corrin says that one of her pokemon died but shrugs it off.

*Okay now that it's clear that Jay's not going to die immediately I can talk about him more. I've been waiting so long for him to appear. For the team to actually have 4 members. While Sundae was technically my 4th catch, I don't really consider him part of the team since he only gained one level before fainting in the first battle he took part in. I've been drawing pages with Jay in them for months, and it feels a bit crazy to finally have him here. The tone in the buffer pages I'm working on now also feel pretty different, as more of the main cast has appeared and everyone actually wants to be there. The catches get a lot nicer from here on, adding a bit of balance I feel like the team in these earlier pages were desperately lacking with everyone being evil or forced to go along with that evil.

*When I was first writing down my notes for this nuzlocke, after every section I would write down how my pokemon were doing, along with a very poorly thought out characteristic for them for flavor text. The one I wrote for Jay was that he was somewhat flirty(I cringe when rereading it). When I actually started to think up my pokemon's characters I saw that his nature was timid, which gave me the idea to have him to try to act tough but actually be pretty timid.

*I feel like I drew the pokemon way to small these last few pages. While I was trying to draw them to scale with Corrin, the problem is that she is a giant compared to them. I like to draw rather small, and since I'm drawing traditionally with minimal sketches, the pokemon tend to lose a lot of detail and become blobs while I'm drawing them. Then considering that the panels here are bigger than their original size in my sketchbook. While the pokemon are suppost to be around 1 or two feet in height, actually drawing them to scale would make them to small. So after this page I focused more of having the pokemon be readable rather than to perfect scale.
And now for replies that respond the answer to the cliffhanger on the last page.
Thank you to everyone who voted in the poll and commented! Did Sundae really have that many death flags on him? I mean he was the odd mon out since he was the only one who didn't want to be here and wasn't dressed up like the rest of the team.

well uh, this is not a good scenario
It's never a good day in a nuzlocke when you realize you were being too reckless and become forced to sack someone. Is it bad that I found it hilarious that you were the first one to the poll and immediately guessed correctly.

Oooooh man, I hate Nuzlocke moments like this!!! Corrin's inner monologue is so relatable. I will admit though that I laughed when she attempted to use her 'trap card' lol. I honestly really don't know who is going to meet their end here, and I'm going to be sad to see any of them go!. I think I'm going to guess Sundae, but I can see it going any way and I can't wait to find out what happens!
I'm sorry for all your losses from moments like this. I'm glad the trap card joke landed, and that you were invested in the cliffhanger.
Next time in Questionable Influence Ava attempts to use logic and reasoning to explain the situation. Next page was originally part of this page, but this page was getting a bit long. (I mean it is 34 panels.)

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
I had a feeling it would be Sundae, the other characters just have better potential

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
I had a feeling it would be Sundae, the other characters just have better potential
That is a good point. I like seeing your insight to what you guessed. His plot arc was pretty much just being kidnapped which could only really end with him either being saved or succumbing to the dark side. The former case being much more likely, especially if he fainted during any part of the not late game, and knowing how many weaknesses ice types have...
ORdgUX7.png

Author's notes:
*Ava was originally going to get a bit more suspicious over the fact that Yuuya lied about Sundae dying, but then I remember, she doesn't care. Yuuya's not getting in her way.

*Sussie thinks that Sundae is just resting. She doesn't really care since the most of her interactions with Sundae has either been Corrin favoring him over her, or that one time Ava said that Sundae called her pollution.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
I love Corrin's reaction to Sundae's death- first denial and then she's downplaying it since he was a 'good guy'. I also love Jay and his outward tough guy facade but on the inside he's having all the regrets lol.

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
I love Corrin's reaction to Sundae's death- first denial and then she's downplaying it since he was a 'good guy'. I also love Jay and his outward tough guy facade but on the inside he's having all the regrets lol.
Thanks, I'm glad you liked the reaction to the first "death". Sundae was barely around and no one was really actual friends with him so the usual reaction wouldn't be quite right. I'm also glad you like Jay, I wasn't sure how his character would go over.
And now for the next page.
E5oHiJ5.png

Author's note:
*During the end of the page I got a bit experimental with the story telling. Everyone already knows what a sorry is, and Ava explained her backstory earlier, so writing it out in full would be a bit repetitive. I hope that exchange was made clear enough from what was said before and after it.

*If it was up to Corrin, she would be a prime candidate for a no pokemon center run due to her being hesitant to return all her pokemon to get them healed. Good thing everyone else has the common sense to actually get healed.

*On this page I tried using Krita for the text. I tried creating some all digital comic pages, and the text editor went really well for them. It does not go as well when trying to force text into oddly shaped pre-written panels. I switched back to MS paint halfway through out of frustration.

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
And now for yet another page!
f8Lb65c.png

Author's notes
*Pokemon centers are probably the last place the team wants to get banned from. Yet again, it's a good thing that the team is here to stop Corrin from making this a no pokemon center run. Without healing they are a lot more likely to get fatally injured. If they heal up naturally the journey would take way too long and Corrin would definitely want to go home before collecting all the gym badges. If they're going to steal, they better steal a truck worth of full restores, but no one on the team can drive...

*Crimes are mostly tied to the trainers. In the games, it's the trainers who create the evil plans while the pokemon follow their lead. I mean who can blame those poor innocent cute little pokemon who are forced into evil! The pokemon acting like they were forced into it after the trainer is caught is usually a get out of jail free card for them. Trainers with pokemon that do stuff like cause property damage or steal are usually fined and told to train their pokemon better. Only if a pokemon doesn't have a trainer, or if a pokemon does something excessively terrible like murder where it's clear the trainer wasn't in on the plan, do pokemon actually get arrested. And there are pokemon out there that are much worse than rough petty thieves like Ava is.

*When I first started coloring pages digitally, err I mean what do you mean, it's not like this comic is suddenly going to become color like the April fools day comic said or anything. But if it were, I chose a random decent sounding number to start the page count of the digitally colored pages. That number was 33. I was about 11 pages off in my count. I was 15 posted pages in at the time I guessed.

Velink

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 27, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
It's been a while and so many updates!
some new teammates and a single 'death'
Considering that none of your pokes have evolved, one death is pretty good going.

Still curious on how Corrin will end up fighting in the league.
Looking forward for more, especially the Corrin vs Corrin!
Their first chase was great!

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
That's funny how Corrin hates the idea of her Pokemon being healed because that's a 'good guy thing'. I love Ava- "Okay nutcase" lol. Also hilarious that Corrin doesn't want to be 'the trainer'. Sorry, Corrin, you're the default for that position on account of being the only human!

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
It's been a while and so many updates!
some new teammates and a single 'death'
Considering that none of your pokes have evolved, one death is pretty good going.

Still curious on how Corrin will end up fighting in the league.
Looking forward for more, especially the Corrin vs Corrin!
Their first chase was great!
Thanks, I have a lot of experience with pokemon's battle system, that and crits not screwing me over gave me a pretty nice early game. I'm glad you enjoyed that chase scene, they are sure to run into each other again.
That's funny how Corrin hates the idea of her Pokemon being healed because that's a 'good guy thing'. I love Ava- "Okay nutcase" lol. Also hilarious that Corrin doesn't want to be 'the trainer'. Sorry, Corrin, you're the default for that position on account of being the only human!
I'm glad to hear you found those last two pages funny. This page is totally not about to give those pages a darker turn. *Insert nonsense rambling on how she claims she is a hybrid and not a human here*.
OcppPAX.png

Author's notes:
*In between every single battle the team did for grinding they healed. Corrin didn't get the least bit desensitized to her fear of being alone, no matter how many heals proved that everyone would come back. She's going to have a terrible feeling of pokemon centers after this, but at least everyone's at a decent level now!

*In short people and pokemon in the pokemon world have auras. When a pokemon is caught they are registered where the ball configures it's self and slightly changes the pokemon's aura so they can no longer be caught by other balls, and the pokeball won't work with other pokemon. The pokeball gives off a signal reminiscent of the pokemon's aura. Even untrained people and pokemon have a very weak ability to sense auras, giving them an instinctual sense of who the pokeball belongs even if they don't know how if they've met that pokemon before. Of course this falls apart when people from other universes with different non-Arecus approved laws of physics show up.

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
New page time!
V6uGkoQ.png

Author's note:
*And thus this page ends Sundae's arc. I'm pretty happy with this page. Every event either progress's Sundae's plot or sets up for something in the future. It also has a fair amount of jokes. With Sundae dying so early on, and the cast already being so large Sundae's importance was minimal. I saw some runs where a trainer would catch a pokemon without asking them first, and everything was okay. With Sundae's short time on the team I figured it was the perfect place to deconstruct this trope, with Sundae not being okay with being captured, though it probably doesn't help that Corrin is worse than the average trainer. Though since Sundae was on the team so such a small amount of time, I feel like it would be pointlessly edgy for him to be dragged out here against his will then be killed off almost immediately. So I decided to wrap up his arc with him going home. In my plans Sundae doesn't show up again. But perhaps it is for the best. Just let him be happy. Sundae for 2021 Happiest death/departure let's go! Out of all the causalities in my run, Sundae ends the happiest.

*When I was first playing the nuzlocke I randomly drew some of my pokemon with no references and without thinking that anything bigger would come out of it. I drew a Vanillite as an angel since well, Sundae had fallen. I then became determined to draw Sundae as an angel in the comic since I thought it looked cute, but not have him die since that would be pointlessly edgy. I drew a ghost trail, which is where I got the idea to have Sundae leave behind a trail of mist everywhere he goes. I included a contest performer onto this page to get Sundae the costume. Being cute does have it's survival advantages. It boosts Sundae's charisma, which is bound to get him friends and food.

*Since Rose here is out of touch here, I imagine that he only lets his workers use steel types on the job since they have so many defenses. What Rose overlooked is the fact that steel types have weaknesses, or having his employees use all their pokemon would be more effective than just using two or three steel types.

*I noticed in a lot of nuzruns there would be a pokemon someone barely cares about in the run but then gets more attached to as they draw them more and more. Sundae hasn't really grown on me, mostly due to how shallow his character feels. I just couldn't think of anything more, Sundae appears in less than 15 pages in this (will be)70+ page comic and doesn't show up beyond the beginning so developing him more didn't feel necessary. Though he made me use Sussie and Jay and I guess making this comic made me even more grateful that he fell in battle.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Awww I love that Sundae got to go home! At first I thought he was in purgatory or something because he couldn't get to the wild area lol. I also just realized on this page that Sundae reminds me a lot of the Chaos in the Sonic games.

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 6, 2021
I love this nuzlocke. Having bowser for a father makes this story more interesting & funny. You never know what might happen. Very funny how Gloria and Corin started to battle even though they weren't real Pokemon. Corin has her own way of doing things. This ought to be interesting to see how she gets her Pokemon trained with all the antics going on. Oh and did I say I love Ava, she is a riot!

Users who are viewing this thread