• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Nuzlocke General Pokemon you've never used before a -locke?

In your run(s), did you use...

• Almost all Pokemon you've used before

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thread Description
Talking about the pokemon you didn't want, but ended up using.

aegagrusScholarship

Problems and Issues Haver
Artist
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 9, 2021
Staring at an unfinished writing piece, probably
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
all of them
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Dark
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon craves attention and recognition, but becomes an absolute mess if given either. Often seen starting multiple projects and finishing none.
One of my favourite pokemon is actually due to being forced to use it in a (forever unfinished) X nuzlocke, honestly. Espurr and Meowstic are great and I adore these tiny little psychic cats, but at the time of the run I'd never even considered using one, ever. Ended up catching one anyway. Was like, okay, sure, I'll keep her in the team until the moment I get a replacement.

Well, anyways, Grant is ridiculously good for a second gym and I lost my Amaura (my planned gym counter; I forgot ice was not supereffective against rock and weak to it in return) instantly. Then I lost my starter, a Braixen that I was hoping could OHKO with psybeam (spoilers: he did not) and then I was staring at my team that consisted of a Pidgey, a Fletchinder, and this Espurr. Welp, I'm not even going to try the two birds. I completely expected her to die but you know what she did, instead? Complete psybeam sweep.
I later wiped to a Wobbuffet, but we all hate Wobbuffet here.

Anyways, I ended up using Meowstic in a ton of (non-nuzlocke) runs from then on and it's always carried its weight incredibly well. Their offenses aren't exactly as impressive as that Psybeam sweep in lategame, but access to dual screens, pretty damn good speed, and high defenses is great and I love them. Actually, I recently accidentally went into the final Mustard fight 5-7 levels underlevelled in Shield. Definitely would have been way more of a close call if I didn't have my Meowstic in that file, and he even took out three opponents by himself.

King Smorgascake

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2021
Nature
Bold
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
Yeah, a few. I'm actually quite new to Nuzlockes so have played it safe quite often, but the following stood out:

Walrein in my first Emerald run. I'd never bothered in any normal playthroughs due it coming so late, but after two deaths v the Murdertwins, it was a great late-game catch who pulled its weight against the late-game bosses and Elite Four.

Venomoth in my Leaf Green run. Hypno died to a crit around the Koga point in the game, and aside from a level 24 Venonat I had no Psychics or pseudo-Psychics in my box that were of an acceptable level to train up. And so I discovered that Venomoth is a badass who will rarely, if ever, let you down.

Lickilicky in my only Platinum run to date. Unfortunately, this died to some ridiculous bullshit crit-hax against Bertha's Drapion, which contributed to the run's end against Flint as it was my Surfer and I was not using any Water-types. But it was the clear MVP of my run, being the lone survivor of two near-full team wipeouts and carrying my replacement under-levelled 'mons through certain points of the game. While its damage output is not spectacular, it is bulky as fuck and one of the most reliable pokemon you can get your hands on.

My current SoulSilver run currently has a team of Lapras, Scizor and Kingdra, none of which I've used before in any game. Lapras is the best counter v both Clair's Kingdra and Lance's entire team I've discovered, due to its typing and Shell Armour making it invulnerable to crits. The Kingdra/Scizor duo laughs its way through the Kanto half of the game; both have only one weakness, with Kingdra's (Dragon) never being seen anywhere after Lance and Scizor's (Fire) being perfectly covered by Kingdra (4x resistance) . Lapras then adds ridiculous bulk and Thunderbolt coverage, as well as STAB Ice Beam. My only concern is Red's Pikachu, because I'm not fucking grinding to Red levels.

THKS

The Trainer Behind Franklin.
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 15, 2020
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
"No matter what I do, I do it just for you."
The Tsareena line in my current Moon Nuzlocke. Following the demise of a Fletchinder I've pinned my hopes on in taking down the Totem Lurantis, I decided to take a chance on the next Pokemon I saw in the Lush Jungle, and a Bounsweet was the one that got lucky. After one Rare Candy, Angelise evolved into a Steenee, and she managed to hold her own to an extent in a handful of battles. And when she eventually evolved into a Tsareena, it feels like an accomplishment that doting and nurturing the once little ball of joy over two days had paid off. Never have I been more excited in welcoming a Tsareena to the team, because while the Special Attack took a nosedive, her Physical Attack, Defense, and her Queenly Majesty ability (which negates the oppponent using priority attack moves) makes her a sudden asset to the team. Better yet, Angelise ended up caning all three of Kahuna Olivia's Pokemon, even after taking a Lycanroc's Z-Move!

Where has Tsareena been all my life?

Brendan Rizzo

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 5, 2021
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
  1. Ice
  2. Steel
In a failed Crystal Wedlocke, I actually used Togepi as a battler instead of just getting the egg and ignoring what hatched from it. Had I known then how friendship works in that game, it is possible that I would've been able to evolve it before wiping my entire team, but it was surprisingly interesting to play with. I had planned to only switch-train it with its partner until it could evolve, but then the Rival's accursed Croconaw killed its partner (a Hoothoot, 'cause I had terrible luck in getting non-redundant typings) and I was forced to send out a baby against a second-stage starter. Its attacks weren't doing anything, so as a last resort I spammed Metronome... and won. I couldn't believe it. I would definitely use Togepi again if the opportunity arose, even in a game before Togekiss was introduced. Togetic looks like it would be fun, now that I know how to induce friendship evolutions quickly. That same run also had me use a Hoothoot (as previously stated--that thing was amazing), Poliwag (which I wanna use again) and a Spinarak (which wasn't good at all).

Later, I did a plain Nuzlocke of that same game, which managed to beat Red. In that run I had trade evolutions (which I very seldom used before since it was a hassle to evolve them) but every single one of the five (!) trade-evolving mons I used died rather quickly. But Slowpoke (later Slowking) stands out for soloing Whitney (who had ended the Wedlocke, though it had been going downhill even before then), and fully justifying my desire to use that evolution line since I was a kid but never getting the chance. After my last trade-evolutions died in the Goldenrod Radio Tower, I brought out a Pinsir that I had been lucky enough to get in the Bug Catching Contest (having been sufficiently lucky as to arrive at the National Park on the day it was held) and the only reason it didn't make it out of there alive was because I didn't realize that the female Executive had a Murkrow with Pursuit. Otherwise Pinsir did really well despite its terrible movepool. (But for that reason I think I'd hold off on using one again till the remakes.) Simultaneously I used Venomoth for a brief time, and it gained a few levels. It didn't die; I just double-checked my PC boxes and realized that I had a much better typing for my team available in Exeggcute, so I switched them. This Exeggcute, once it evolved, pretty much carried my team from then on. I'm so glad I was playing Crystal where you can get evolution stones before the postgame.

Now, I played Generation III a lot as a kid, so when I finally Nuzlocked it (in Emerald) I didn't really have anything that I hadn't used before, but there were some exceptions. The first was Spoink, which I used against Flannery's Torkoal attempting to bounce back infatuation with Magic Coat. While that did work, Spoink still died. I wish I could've used it more. The next was Wobbuffet. Yeah I know, Wobbuffet. I tried to repeat my luck with Togepi in the Wedlocke, but it just didn't work out. Now I understand why people hate Wobbuffet as an opponent, but never use it themselves. I had planned a strategy to take out Norman's Slaking in one hit, by using Counter or Mirror Coat. It would have worked, had I been able to predict whether he'd use Facade or Faint Attack. I didn't realize he had the latter so I guessed wrong, but had I been right, Mirror Coat certainly would've taken it down. Other than that, though, Wobbuffet wasn't really useful in the run. It is exceedingly difficult to gain levels with it, and then when you do you have to heal a lot. At least it took down a couple of Winona's mons, but that was it. Altaria was much better, and I thought I'd be able to get past Tate&Liza with it, but sadly the twins swept through my team anyway, failing the run. Now, I got Magnemite to replace my dead Manectric, and surprisingly, despite playing through most of the games where it is available, I have no memory of using Magnemite before now. I pretty much needed an Electric-type on that team, and Magnemite was my final option. It was really useful, but then it somehow died to a critical Bubblebeam from a wild Pokemon. That was the tipping point, and nothing good really happened afterward. (Sure, I was able to beat Winona without it. But then I started getting bad encounters, lost another mon while grinding, and then Maxie's Crobat wrecked my team and took out most of my Tate&Liza counters. So their battle was basically over before it began.)

After I try more runs, I'll probably have more mons to list here. But this is all for now.

Last edited:

fractale

MonoType Locker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Flying
Pokédex Entry
this master of winged beasts knows almost everything about flying type pokemons that is known by the man. when angered, he shocks those around him
Ninjask and ShedNinja, two pokemon at the price of one deal rigth here. i wouldnt think about using those two but nuzlocke forced me to catch a nincada and i evolved it to have 2 pokemon, and because i didnt do the 'catching' to ninjask, that loophole made me decide that i can hold it too. let me tell you the Ninjask-any physical attacker combo is deadly. combining crappy ai with sword dance, double team, and baton pass, i can turn one of my pokemons into untouchable beast, like the regional birb swellow

PageEmperor

Absolute loather and despiser of ads.
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Water
Pokédex Entry
A person who does both comics and runs and whatnot. Okay then.
Okay guys, now what if I told you that Audino in my X hardcore run is literally my MVP? Or if not MVP tied with another mon? Between having bulk for days, regenerator which makes him the only one who can heal himself, great coverage, and Thunder wave altogether? To put it in context, while the opponent is slowed and can’t hit the user half the time, they pretty much automatically can’t do anything because again, Audino’s massive defenses. To think that originally when I got him, I was slightly uninpressed because I was really looking forward to getting a Venipede instead. But instead I got one of my most impressive team members.

fractale

MonoType Locker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Flying
Pokédex Entry
this master of winged beasts knows almost everything about flying type pokemons that is known by the man. when angered, he shocks those around him
DUX the Farfetch'd. the trademon in vermilion city. that duck that comes with its leek can learn agility and sword dance. i set 3 of both of them in front of the mr.mime, then ripped the ALAKAZAM sabrina has. the most satisfactory victory i had ever have

RadiantBeam

Evil Good
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
I used Jolteon as a main team member for the first time during my Blue nuzlocke last year, and honestly now I’m almost ashamed it took me this long to use one. I never bothered before because by the time I got Eevee I usually had an evolved Raichu.

That thing was absurd. Not the best defense but he was fast and he could hit hard.

Users who are viewing this thread