• The Writer's Locke has released it's final episode! Come celebrate a fantastic project with it's last hoo-rah.
  • The Hidden Gems Showcase (2022) is now closed. Thank you all who turned out this year! You can find all the cool content that got featured here. I hope you find a new gem to read!
  • Check out the Nuzlocke Forums Fundraiser 2022 to see how you can help support the forums, earn new badges, and more! Goal: $1201/$1500
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Let's Play Pokemon Conquest if it was actually Pokemon x Fire Emblem

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
Aka a Pokemon Conquest Nuzlocke

Norhian Samur

Conqueror of the Mahogany Gym
Godfather
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Water
ktCuuOq.png

So I've been itching to do something on the forums proper that isn't just mafia, so I decided to do this. I feel like I remember one of these being done on the old forums but my ruleset will probably be a good bit different.

Anyway Pokemon Conquest is a turn based strategy game, designed by Koei Tecmo and acting as a crossover between pokemon the the turn based strategy game series Nobunaga's Ambition. This game basically takes the Sengoku period of japan (covered in other koei-tecmo games) and combines it with pokemon to create something based loosely on real world events though structured very much in the pokemon series. I absolutely adore this game even if there are some major flaws in the game and especially some of the balancing (good god what did they do to Rhyperior). So yeah consider this an experiment in seeing how much I'm willing to deal with. Oh yeah also the thread title is a reference to how TMS was originally intended to be a Pokemon x Fire Emblem crossover, but was scrapped after the producers learned that this game had already been proposed.

1. If a pokemon faints in battle, the warrior and pokemon are dead.
    1. If you lose a kingdom battle but you still have warriors alive in the battle, they die along with their kingdom.
    2. If you have to retreat from a kingdom, you 2 of the warriors who retreated are killed. This is chosen at random.
  2. The First warrior you defeat in a battle is your only recruit. If you must recruit more than one person from an area for one reason or another, the other person must be put as far away from the frontlines as you can get.
    1. You have up to 3 encounters in a kingdom. These are the Kingdom Invasion, Wild area 1 and Wild area 2. The latter 2 must be done in the first actionable month in that kingdom.
  3. You may link with a pokemon in place of acquiring a warrior. This is also done if there are no warriors during that first actionable month.
Some additional rules will be revealed when they become necessary.

So with that onto the show.

SpnoDIz.png

There's an opening slideshow but I skipped it because I've played this game so many times. Anyway for this we're going with the Male Protag for this. There's a minor difference in warlord stats but in my experience that's pretty minimal since the Protagonist is a beast in battle. They're good enough at all categories that they can fill in but their stats for any of them aren't particularly high.

P87h5c5.png

Anyway we somehow became the new warlord of Aurora, the normal type kingdom. I'm pretty sure it's never explained why we just are. We also have our (first) partner pokemon and perfect link in Eevee. Eevee is already pretty good in this game (and especially this early on) and it's part of why the protag is so good early on. I'll cover why base eevee (and this one in particular) is good later in the post but just know: good mon.

There's more discussions between that one and this next image but most of them are with characters who don't really matter. They're just kinda there to explain some mechanics to the player.

yLoPe4k.png

MHNzkEK.png

NM2hx29.png

Y'know I hadn't thought about this until working on this post, but the plot of this game really does start with "but everything changed when the fire nation attacked". I don't think I've ever seen that joke about this game and it's weird to me. But yeah Aurora is being invaded, so we head into the first battle.

DRA5Rix.png

Oh good we could always use support. I mean even if their tepig and bidoof are so much weaker than Eevee that I could probably one shot them with its quick attack, so yeah just hop on and we'

ajMEtTG.png

Wait no I take it back, I don't need tutorials, I don't need them at

Noi64cN.png

AAAAAAAAAAAA

Yeah there's a lot of tutorials in this first part. There's a reason why this is very tutorial packed but I'm holding off on discussing it until later.

4xlUvkb.png

Swe28aw.png

1db.png

IWu0ytc.png

Yeah good luck with that, your 2 mons aren't even equal to one of the ones on my side, and one of them is a jigglypuff.

VXI7Ofv.png

Oh sweet summer child, what happens to Aurora will really be the least of our concerns if we lost this.

fmUIEUD.png

We also just, can't lose this battle. Currently Nameless girl automatically kills the bidoof and well, we one shot the tepig even with a height disadvantage. The game forces you to attack the tepig so you just finish them off easily. I do wonder what the game would do if a Pokemon Conquest Randomizer existed and forced a mon who can't attack from 1 space away (or can't kill) here.

D7fz2HO.png

smth smth insert the meme now. If I was an editor I'd make a variant of it with either the MC or Hideyoshi but I'm lazy and not good at photoshop. The killer combo really.

3V6xdI6.png

Anyway Nameless girl has now supplied her name. This is Oichi, a normal and dragon warlord who normally operates Aurora but we showed up and took over. She is important but first:

gBXIWWt.png

8LrHsHZ.png

FhZciAU.png

5hhwbGi.png

lv7jQfC.png

She Has 6 different responses to you saying no before it gets to the forever repeat one. This is however, a classic scenario of you not actually being allowed to say no. Not that you would though because Oichi is super good and benefits more than anyone from this being a nuzlocke rules.

R2JQvDj.png

Eventually accept and you acquire Oichi. She's a super good warlord though Jigglypuff isn't very good.

aLM1A28.png

KE1nCT6.png

War has finally reached this little Penninsula, after the new emperor of the Adrest- Wait that's not right.

5iUGZNM.png

5l39mXK.png

So are warriors psychic? Cause technically communicating wordlessly with pokemon should be doable regardless, it's not some blessing one has, it's a skill you develop over time as you and your pokemon come to understand one another. There's a reason animals like dogs can read the emotions of humans and vice versa. And the average pokemon is a hell of a lot smarter than a dog.

8ou22aQ.png

PM3LEEQ.png

Ps5ugUS.png

QOBVvBw.png

That's a firm oops moment for whatever legendary that was. There's no way of knowing until we get there though, it's not like the legendary would be a vain deity and make the continent shaped like itself. Nope no Way.

gufU6nl.png

Skipped more of the unimportant kids, but now we have some forced grinding.

qNglvX3.png

B4jG113.png

And as your first order of business,

WgoRbpT.png

Dirt.

Anyway we should get onto pokemon.

Jigglypuff in canon suffers from low non hp Stats and that does carry over here. That's less bad than normal here but Jigglypuff really suffers from having a horrendous move for something slow. Double Slap is weak, inaccurate and the 2-5 hits only really hurts it since it tends to not get consistent damage due to the natural variance. Multihit moves are not good in this game so being reliant on them is terrible. There's really only 2 good multi hit moves, 1 of which is utterly massive and rigged of hit 4-5 times instead of ranging from 2-5 and the other is stronger and hits more targets. Thankfully wigglytuff is pretty good and puff is just good enough that it shouldn't fall behind before I can get a moon stone.

I'll cover Eevee soon I promise, there's a specific image later that demonstrates why it's so good (or at least this one is).

IxBK5Tg.png

Case in point, Eevee knocks the Starly to near death, while Jigglypuff misses.

8zD54yd.png

RNDHVN7.png

Yeah don't sleep on Bidoof in this game, headbutt is fairly strong for an early game move, and it can flinch, which is really good in this game since you can't do anything with your warrior when that happens. Bibarel is pretty solid too, if more of the same.

But before I can kill the beaver:

KaDd6fs.png

AgamBgM.png

Accelerate Deforestation for Healing Items. Acts of vandalism, via simulating the average Business owner, is important.

3Qw3sDq.png

Nothin Personnel kid.

rBA3WIJ.png

Nice.

73vtyot.png

sLhrpiF.png

And then we rested for like a Month. Cause suddenly it's February.

AeQwETd.png

We got a new area to battle in and defeat some pokemons, but first:

yIwB8Bu.png

nXXPVwN.png

02f

KLgPAFn.png

EuGtVBh.png

And this right here, is the chief reason why this starting Eevee is so good. Celebrate is utterly busted since you get a free action for the first kill you deliver in a turn. So you can essentially chain kills but killing something and then chipping another mon, before repeating on the next turn. You can also just grab your loot if you can't hit anyone. This combine's with Eevee's other insanely good trait, that being that it possesses 4 Movement. This is also massive cause it means you can cross the map quicker and achieve plenty of objectives, regardless of the type. So yeah, Eevee is a good mon.

8YtYrQU.png

Thank you lost child.

Anyway now we have to invade

9RjHVeA.png

Y6BO9Ys.png

u9hKsMx.png

Anyway some pre battle stuff before we get into the swing of things.

AMU5zSP.png

OGbJW5R.png

1bkjykq.png

Because my warlords only have normal types, I can't do anything in relation to the Magma here. I kinda just have to accept it.

jpyCMgk.png

o1ihMkC.png

So I'm hanging around the left bottom side to try and bait in their offense and deal with them.

MJZ13zh.png

ZHy6fcn.png

gtAlUgU.png

Got some chip on Chimchar. Only did about 4 damage because Double Slap is bad, but hey, it's damage.

xQAMsWD.png

Got some healing for puff and it also put Bidoof to sleep with Lullaby.

But yeah Chimchar annoyingly put itself out of range.

sZxj3r0.png

h7a7zmp.png

This is why Oichi is so good. Sweet Song heals like 50 hp to every warrior on your team so you can easily keep your team healthy when push comes to shove. Super useful, especially since healing isn't always easy to access.

QIOIVW7.png

atj9Pza.png

v7Cv18j.png

Also Some Looting

Some of Y'all may wonder why I was so slow here, well this battle is rigged so you can't recruit anyone. Thus I waited around since I'm not trying to grab someone to use here. The tutorial for recruiting is after this battle.

TKdOZAf.png

X4l3YWA.png

Murder and Death and Conquest, and shooting you with a large bazooker.

KuN8rIr.png

Y9PgLqw.png

Every 20% link you have, you get a boost to the power of your move. So boosting your link does also make your pokemon much more effective.

IbZ9dqx.png

My Castle now.

Qs3aOez.png

xwM9cxb.png

BXxQbgS.png

With that we've gotten the next, and probably most important tutorial. The real challenge begins now.

Oh yeah also the guy isn't that important, he's also just a tutorial guy like the 3 kids I basically didn't discuss.

KirbySSU

Unova Veteran (In Nuzlockes)
Godfather
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 10, 2020
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
Male
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Likes Kirby, perhaps a bit too much.

DistortionLocke

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Anxious, sweet-toothed writer who hides amongst the papers. Only attacks when provoked.
I missed the boat on getting this game, so I’m really enjoying your run and commentary!

OP
Norhian Samur

Norhian Samur

Godfather
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Water
Sain?????
No-Memes-15.jpg

(I mean there is one of the archetype kinda and he is green themed too. But he's way later)
I missed the boat on getting this game, so I’m really enjoying your run and commentary!
Understandable. I do recommend trying it if you get the chance, because it's a lot of fun.

Anyway I uh, got very distracted with College, Placement and other video game stuff. I beat Live A Live (the switch remake) and it is very good. I've had the update stuff ready for a while, just got busy with other stuff. So uh yeah Let's go or something.

bMXFg12.png

PulZlh4.png

0e5DdJT.png

So a large chunk of the game's warriors don't start off aligned with any army. Instead they can be randomly found in the wild battle areas of the game. This is where we're gonna try and find warriors most of the time, since we can only get 1 from the kingdom battle. We only have 1 option here but I'll discuss him in a bit.

LB6zwrE.png

There's 3 ways to recruit warriors in this game. First is to defeat them with a super effective attack, the second is to defeat them without them having done any damage and the third is what's listed in the screenshot. The exact one we'll go for will vary a lot but Option 3 will be the main one I'm trying to get done whenever I'm trying to recruit someone, since it's the easiest one to achieve.

However,

99A0eNW.png

Cti3q2i.png

Rikyu made the mistake of starting at the top of a stair case, meaning he can't jump off and move to where he can hit me with flame wheel. So now he's trapped in Naughty Warrior Jail.

3sC3gP7.png

Part of the recovery process is beating your enemy to death with Eevee's Quick Attacks.

MRxTBuB.png

You get different messages when defeating a trainer based on whether or not you've recruited them, generally recruitment messages will have more admiring text towards you and will use either default or smiling poses (for warlords). Pure Defeat Messages will sound more concerned and use poses (for warlords) that are more sad or angry.

XGAijAP.png

o2RiNDL.png

iirc Rikyu is rigged to always be the first warrior who appears here, but that's fine because I really like him and he's fairly useful.

fiR0IP1.png

Rikyu specializes in Grass and Fire Types, so generally he forms better links with those types. He comes with the warrior skill Detox, which is actually really good because these 2 statuses are very annoying. Being able to cure every warrior on your team of those 2 statuses is really nice and means we can afford to take risks and intentionally stand on bad areas for the sake of attacks since we don't have to worry about Poison or Paralysis. These being full screen is also really nice. It's not that great of a skill but it'll be nice to have in a few battles.

I debated on whether or not to talk about Perfect Links, but I've decided that I'll talk about them if they're not mons we have yet. Rikyu's Perfect link is the Pansage line. I'm sure that might Sound Bad but honestly? Pansage kinda won a jackpot on getting good moves. Pansage has Vine Whip, which isn't great but hits in a horizontal line 1 in front of the mon, which is actually a really great attack range because a lot of pokemon struggle to hit something that's 1 diagonal square away from them. It's a very awkward attack range that can let you weaken a foe while they struggle to hit back. Simisage meanwhile gets the Standard Grass Final Form Move of Leaf Storm, which is pretty good. Not Amazing but the range is really nice (every square around the mon) and it's strong before the attack drop. We will never get this monkey though because good god no Swarms are not gonna be accessible. If I ever get the chance to acquire a swarm mon via linking I will be Genuinely Shocked.

TDL42Ty.png

Thankfully, Rikyu's starting mon is excellent. Darumaka is so good. Honestly fire types are generally excellent in this game, since basically all of their final moves have excellent range and power and even in that setting I think Darumaka Stands out. Run Up is super good and very easy to abuse. Moving is very easy to do and Flame Wheel basically forces movement 9/10 times so getting a power boost for doing so is obscenely good. Flame Wheel is also very strong base power wise, especially for a starting move, meaning that Darumaka ends up much like its in game self. A powerful Attacker that will kill shit if it can hit. Its evolution is pretty great too but that's not gonna be for a while.

Anyway Plot.

7jgUwCf.png

I mean we are 50% larger than where we were last month.

JuDnUse.png

1M4XHOQ.png

yNi4Du3.png

So Anyway, Aurora is surrounded by 2 other kingdoms, Greenleaf and Fontaine, which specialize in Grass and Water respectively. It's the classic Fire Beats Grass Beats Water Beats Fire Tutorial. Anyway we're gonna go hit Greenleaf first because I'd like to have some actual grass types before hitting the water kingdom. The Grass Kingdom is also weaker and has less trainers, so having 3 people isn't as much of a handicap. Also we have Rikyu and his Darumaka so.

XruQCxx.png

However, we are gonna grind before going in first, because being underleveled is a sin.

zVlWFE4.png

Deforestation for items and profit.

gjbalwa.png

7oWTQp6.png

You can see a bit of Run Up's impact on damage here, the former moved 3 spaces and the second moved 1 space. The Difference isn't that big now but it stacks with super effective attacks and will increase more as the move gets stronger due to link.

Meanwhile

vVtwdSd.png

ZxZN81j.png

ZxZN81j.png

Sometimes I wish Jigglypuff had more movement.

FRk3liN.png

XwRwJlY.png

pzkHXNd.png

BfEMX0f.png

Celebrate is very Good.

CGFx0Fc.png

8k7ZqdF.png

ljjSesp.png

JmURKJ8.png

jo6pJah.png

8r97tNh.png

In The Future I'll just put all the grinding screenshots in a spoiler and pull out any major events that happen. Anyway

pH0r55U.png

After some grinding, we have this team heading into Greenleaf.

GIQ7AwS.png

LqKkT95.png

Anyway we're actually stronger than the Greenleaf army, despite having 1 less mon. This does have a noticeable impact in damage, which will be important much later on in the game.

07UBnfv.png

MqFcYaP.png

QmDLFnA.png

Story Stuff Involving Motonari discussing what he'll do. However first, I'm going to kick his ass.

jBUFidT.png

6jzI2QM.png

hUfbqyk.png

Bac3Cq8.png

MpNvrUu.png

This is our introduction to banner battles. Unlike standard battles, we don't need to defeat all the foes in a time limit in order to win, instead having to capture and hold banners that are setup around the map. These maps are very good for us, since the AI isn't great when it comes to these maps. The AI generally prioritizes holding the banner over doing anything else, meaning you can often bait the AI into ignoring you by letting them claim the banners, especially if the banner being claimed won't end in a victory for them. I will abuse this maliciously in later maps. Banners also heal you when you're standing on them and I think cure you of statuses, making them similar to Thrones in GBA FE games.

ud7ZmK9.png

J2ldwqg.png

niBkATe.png

These are our 3 options for Trainers that we can recruit. They're all Solid options for different reasons

Motoharu is a Dragon/Grass Specialist with the Skill Mighty Blow. Mighty Blow gives you a 1 turn Massive Power Boost. Idk the exact number but I think it doubles your attack. He Starts with Pansage but his perfect link is the Axew Line. They're not bad but they're basically locked until the endgame and while Pansage is solid enough, there's a better option here.

Takakage is a grass specialist with the skill Adrenaline. It's similar to Mighty Blow, but it buffs for 3 turns at a lower power boost. It's really useful because the damage boost hangs around, so you can dish out more damage. His Perfect Link is the Treecko Line, which is pretty good and decently easy to access.

Takamoto is a grass specialist with the skill Brotherhood. Brotherhood gives you a defense boost for 3 turns, functioning similar to Adrenaline does. His Perfect Link is the Snivy line which is functionally unavailable in this story.

Anyway they're all solid options but imo Takakage is the best one of the bunch here. Serperior and Sceptile are fundamentally the same but Sceptile has the advantage of higher attack which is better than Seperior's higher bulk. It's basically an offense vs defense question for the battle of the takas. I think Kage is the better of the 2. Motoharu's a solid option too but I like Leavanny more than Simisage in this game, plus if I do get takakage's perfect link then he effectively has a better Simisage.

DKnL0F6.png

This is the other gimmick of the maps. FUCKING PITS. I HATE THESE STUPID THINGS SO MUCH THEY'RE SO INFURIATING.

If you fall in one of these you lose your current turn and you next turn. Yeah you lose 2! Turns to these stupid things. Idk if they're in set areas or not but I can never remember where they are and always end up in a pit. The AI does know where these things are though, and will avoid them. So yeah they're a hazard for you and only you.

Z7msIcO.png

2BAXLgc.png

O2bMrhH.png

FUCKING PITS!

3IZTQVg.png

wcajXyX.png

Photos taken 10 seconds before disaster.

nycARi1.png

You know I think Jigglypuff was offended when I said Double Slap was bad last time. It kept getting 5 hits and crits when I was preparing for this update. It's still a bad move though.

JpNmdiO.png

Y'know I forgot this happened to me until I was putting this post together. Abilities that make attacks randomly miss are definitely good game design and not the most fucking infuriating thing in the world that makes me want to destroy someone.

9YO3mBA.png

THE FUCKING PITS STRIKE AGAIN BECAUSE THIS MAP IS DUMB AS HELL AND I DESPISE IT WITH EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING.

Also Bug Bite steals items so it stole my potion and got a full heal off of it. So this fucking prick gets exactly what it deserves.

Kill it with extreme prejudice.

53x5h0B.png

YyTs8eo.png

9kLecB2.png

Again, did over 50% with 5 hits and a crit. Jigglypuff is pissed.

4vk1hOa.png

H89YNS1.png

Bringing someone in to rescue Oichi

WOVrpGf.png

Boss Conversation.

XjiZ0Fd.png

7EaTT3I.png

Ok so what the hell does this say about the pokemon timeline? Cause we now have Legends Arceus which showcased an early development of the usage of pokeballs. Are the 2 events concurrent or like around the same time? Cause if so then how, cause there's a lot of legendary mons hanging around this region which doesn't make sense since they're supposed to be at their own regions. Like when you introduce the idea that there's the standard pokemon regions out there, it makes you wonder what all these random legends are doing out here.

Ok so I looked some stuff up, and like assuming this game is set at the end of Edo Japan then the timelines line up solidly with Legends Arceus. Like they're not concurrent events but they're pretty similar timeframes. Edo Japan's end date is place in 1867 while Japan's Takeover of Hokkaido starts in 1875 so like. They're not far apart. and I guess there were places in that game that used pokeballs besides team galaxy. So uh yeah, surprisingly not that weird of timeframe. I doubt they planned this but hey.

mPv3i1R.png

Yeah Oichi got real low and needed help. That's because of those damn pits.

OOnyVJZ.png

Because Banner Missions are based on capturing all the banners, you can still get stuff after killing all enemies on a banner map. so:

uM9c1mI.png

Money.

t9fMlY4.png

With That Last Banner, the kingdom is ours.

eMQmlPw.png

Soon.

Q9eAAOv.png

AFPil3g.png

I now own 3 kingdoms and can tax them appropriately for revenue.

iCidBeo.png

jBEEj36.png

We also have a new soldier who will be useful in the upcoming battles. Next up Fontaine, after getting some more recruits from Greenleaf.

Last edited:

Mattman324

bread
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
YUUSHA
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
KITA KITA KITA
me and the boys walking up to the new conquest run
I feel like I remember one of these being done on the old forums but my ruleset will probably be a good bit different.
you're thinking of Jim's run. shame that @Jimcloud is just totally gone now though...
I absolutely adore this game even if there are some major flaws in the game and especially some of the balancing (good god what did they do to Rhyperior)
made it a fucking god is what they did.
I'm pretty sure it's never explained why we just are.
not only is it not explained but it's also never stated or noted who the old Aurora Warlord was.
Jigglypuff in canon suffers from low non hp Stats and that does carry over here. That's less bad than normal here but Jigglypuff really suffers from having a horrendous move for something slow. Double Slap is weak, inaccurate and the 2-5 hits only really hurts it since it tends to not get consistent damage due to the natural variance. Multihit moves are not good in this game so being reliant on them is terrible. There's really only 2 good multi hit moves, 1 of which is utterly massive and rigged of hit 4-5 times instead of ranging from 2-5 and the other is stronger and hits more targets. Thankfully wigglytuff is pretty good and puff is just good enough that it shouldn't fall behind before I can get a moon stone.
unfortunately if you want a secret item you have to keep jigglypuff around way longer than expected for no good fucking reason.
iirc Rikyu is rigged to always be the first warrior who appears here,
see, so, like, that's the though, right? but I know for a fact I've seen a second warrior there, one time, someone else you can get in the early game that isn't Rikyu. But I've never gotten it to repeat itself.
We will never get this monkey though because good god no Swarms are not gonna be accessible
not until the postgame :V

except eevee, it's actually intentionally really easy to get eevee to swarm in the first story.
Idk if they're in set areas or not
they are
The AI does know where these things are though, and will avoid them. So yeah they're a hazard for you and only you.
unless, of course, you knock them into the pits, in which case they will fall in and you will laugh.

also, notably - flying things and things with levitate cannot fall into pits. this should be obvious given they're broken in every other way, but like...
Ok so what the hell does this say about the pokemon timeline?
look, it's best to just not think of conquest as being part of a "main pokemon timeline", otherwise you have to account for the ancient japanese zepplins, and the ancient japanese power plants, and the ancient japanese mewtwos.

well not that the warring states era was "ancient" but

DistortionLocke

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Anxious, sweet-toothed writer who hides amongst the papers. Only attacks when provoked.
I do recommend trying it if you get the chance, because it's a lot of fun.
Fortunately, I managed to snag an affordable copy this week!
THE FUCKING PITS STRIKE AGAIN BECAUSE THIS MAP IS DUMB AS HELL AND I DESPISE IT WITH EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING.
I will gladly take the pits over Pugilis’ wrestling ring from hell. SO. MUCH. SHOVING.
Ok so what the hell does this say about the pokemon timeline? Cause we now have Legends Arceus which showcased an early development of the usage of pokeballs. Are the 2 events concurrent or like around the same time? Cause if so then how, cause there's a lot of legendary mons hanging around this
If this game had come out two generations later, I would’ve argued that Motonari was a Faller from the main line games—because how do you read about alternate worlds???

But since this was released in Gen 5, I’m gonna assume he’s been sticking his face in Motoharu’s Pansage‘s broccoli puff too much…😒 It would definitely explain why he’s so chill during wartime

Last edited:

Cirr

I'm a bot! (maybe) #OnionBoy
Screenshotter
Godfather
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
beep/boop
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
  3. Cute
  4. ???
Pokédex Entry
Fails Captchas with regularity
conquest runs...

have fun in fontaine

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Anyway we somehow became the new warlord of Aurora, the normal type kingdom. I'm pretty sure it's never explained why we just are. We also have our (first) partner pokemon and perfect link in Eevee. Eevee is already pretty good in this game (and especially this early on) and it's part of why the protag is so good early on. I'll cover why base eevee (and this one in particular) is good later in the post but just know: good mon.
I don't recall who we are ever being explained either. But I always assumed that our protagonist just inherited the title, like a classic Fire Emblem lord.

Y'know I hadn't thought about this until working on this post, but the plot of this game really does start with "but everything changed when the fire nation attacked". I don't think I've ever seen that joke about this game and it's weird to me. But yeah Aurora is being invaded, so we head into the first battle.
But these mooks don't hold a candle to the Fire Nation. 🕯️

I love that for this last dialogue before the loop, Jigglypuff goes from angry to kind of defeated like "I can be good in this game! I promise!!!"

5l39mXK.png

So are warriors psychic? Cause technically communicating wordlessly with pokemon should be doable regardless, it's not some blessing one has, it's a skill you develop over time as you and your pokemon come to understand one another. There's a reason animals like dogs can read the emotions of humans and vice versa. And the average pokemon is a hell of a lot smarter than a dog.
I imagined that Warriors' Pokemon were like daemons, as in, a form of soul partner—hence the gameplay emphasis on looking for the right Pokemon, not necessarily the strongest one.

Oichi has good tastes. 😤

You @ the tutorials:
marx-2219.gif

You @ Hideyoshi:

Ah, yes, the tradition of hanging out in a cave waiting to be ambushed for a battle goes back far in the Pokemon world's history. 😌

Cti3q2i.png

Rikyu made the mistake of starting at the top of a stair case, meaning he can't jump off and move to where he can hit me with flame wheel. So now he's trapped in Naughty Warrior Jail.
Au contraire! Rikyu here is in fact starting a time-honored tradition of squatting in a high place trying not to be bothered. Unfortunately, like for his friend Red in the future, the paparazzi is relentless. 😔

As a kid playing this game, I was so confused by the system of Perfect Links. I ended up really only using the Warlords for that reason, who at least came with good Links.

Millennials talking about Gen Z be like.

Poor Takamoto, forced to have the same Perfect Link line as a Warlord, who has monopoly on the species. 😔

DKnL0F6.png

This is the other gimmick of the maps. FUCKING PITS. I HATE THESE STUPID THINGS SO MUCH THEY'RE SO INFURIATING.

If you fall in one of these you lose your current turn and you next turn. Yeah you lose 2! Turns to these stupid things. Idk if they're in set areas or not but I can never remember where they are and always end up in a pit. The AI does know where these things are though, and will avoid them. So yeah they're a hazard for you and only you.
*Tellius bridge map flashbacks*

Can you imagine confronting an enemy commander on the battlefield in Edo Japan... and they just rattle off multiverse theory to you???

To be fair, I also judge someone's worthiness based on their affection with fluffy creatures. 😤

OP
Norhian Samur

Norhian Samur

Godfather
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Water
unfortunately if you want a secret item you have to keep jigglypuff around way longer than expected for no good fucking reason.

see, so, like, that's the though, right? but I know for a fact I've seen a second warrior there, one time, someone else you can get in the early game that isn't Rikyu. But I've never gotten it to repeat itself.
Ok so I didn't actually know an item existed that's exclusive to Oichi. I'm not gonna bother for it though cause while it's good, fuck keeping puff around that long.

Also God I can swear to having damn near the exact same experience with Takatora (the flying/fire guy who starts with Charmander) appearing first randomly, but like I can only remember that happening once as well
I will gladly take the pits over Pugilis’ wrestling ring from hell. SO. MUCH. SHOVING.

If this game had come out two generations later, I would’ve argued that Motonari was a Faller from the main line games—because how do you read about alternate worlds???

But since this was released in Gen 5, I’m gonna assume he’s been sticking his face in Motoharu’s Pansage‘s broccoli puff too much…😒 It would definitely explain why he’s so chill during wartime
See Funnily enough, that chapter is one I'm looking forward too, and I nearly went for him first because his is so easy to cheese due to how the AI works.

Also I think Motonari is referring to "other worlds" in the same way the idea of the "new world" and "Old World" were viewed in real life. Like it's not actually alternate worlds, it's referring to the idea of far away continents which are fundamentally "different worlds" because of how far away they are. Could just be puffing on that pansage though.
conquest runs...

have fun in fontaine
Yeah it shouldn't be too bad, but who knows
I love that for this last dialogue before the loop, Jigglypuff goes from angry to kind of defeated like "I can be good in this game! I promise!!!"

I imagined that Warriors' Pokemon were like daemons, as in, a form of soul partner—hence the gameplay emphasis on looking for the right Pokemon, not necessarily the strongest one.
As a kid playing this game, I was so confused by the system of Perfect Links. I ended up really only using the Warlords for that reason, who at least came with good Links.

Poor Takamoto, forced to have the same Perfect Link line as a Warlord, who has monopoly on the species. 😔

Can you imagine confronting an enemy commander on the battlefield in Edo Japan... and they just rattle off multiverse theory to you???

To be fair, I also judge someone's worthiness based on their affection with fluffy creatures. 😤

That's technically true, if only because of evolution
Also yeah that sounds about right for how Warriors and their pokemon works even if my brain immediately went to SMT since Daemon and Demon come from the same word
Perfect Links aren't the easiest to figure out, since there's no way to tell without sending your units into battle randomly. Doesn't help that a good chunk of warriors have perfect links who aren't available without some sort of prep or random event.

Also Affection with Fluffy Creatures is the only worthy way to judge worthiness.

Anyway This update is gonna be a long one

P3gtxDi.png

So Because I took greenleaf, I get to have my encounter now. Going with Terumoto since the other option (ekei) has the same mon to start with but a much worse perfect link. Also Takakage is here to get some training.

WE0yMhE.png

You are my warrior now.

epzjBcb.png

fAIc9RU.png

eJKerGk.png

i75D8xq.png

16cwDcR.png

So first off, I incorrectly stated how Brotherhood works last time, Brotherhood gives a defense buff to the unit and nearby allies, but in return it's the lowest stat buff. Fortify functions how I explained, giving a defense buff only to the mon, but it's more effective than Brotherhood is in terms of boost.

Terumoto's perfect link is the Petilil Line. It's a pretty good mon. It got to have Mega Drain instead of being stuck with Absorb so that's already nice for it. Lilligant gets the move Petal Dance, which hits one square horizontally and vertically on both sides. It's basically a Plus side with the center on Lilligant. It hits multiple times but prevents you from moving for a turn. It's pretty good but it has some notable flaws

Anyway after some more grinding

eGTWsr4.png

It's Time.

IQXp4F2.png

lYofeNk.png

Lr4LXTI.png

Too Bad Buddy! Cause Here I am! To Claim your Land as my own!

zj5P3Zq.png

jYyjL1F.png

1wlSKQK.png

YHHn63o.png

This is the Gimmick of Fontaine's invasion map. There's buttons in the center of the map that opens or closes a gate. These gates control whether or not the river in the middle is filled with water or not. If you can't move over water, then the rivers will strand you on whatever island you're on. Also if you're standing on where the water shows up and can't stand on water then you get knocked onto land and take damage. This map is very simple to deal with but it can be very annoying.

LScvKEr.png

8gOmOOw.png

16eBa84.png

Anyway, these are the 3 options for recruits that I have.

Nobuchika comes with the warrior skill Crack Shot, which for 1 turn allows all of his attacks to hit. His perfect link is Gyarados which is a pretty great mon in this game. It's a flier so its unaffected by a lot of map gimmicks. Aqua Tail has the same range as Vine Whip, but it's a lot stronger and also knocks the foe it hits back a square. Magikarp is bad but thankfully it's not completely terrible to grind due to how Banner Maps work.

Morichika comes with the warrior skill Eagle Eye, which boosts the accuracy of your mon's moves for 3 turns. It's the medium boost of the accuracy boosts. His perfect Link is the Samurott Line, which makes him automatically great, even if he competes with Morichika directly. Samurott is pretty good, it has the same final move as Gyarados, but its unevolved forms get Water Gun and then Water Pulse, which is just water gun+.

Chikamasa comes with the warrior Skill Shout, which works like Detox except for sleep and confusion. It's pretty solid but less useful than Detox or the other full screen status clear, since those 2 statuses are less likely to occur and don't fuck you as often. His Perfect Link is the Wooper line. Wooper is ok. Stats are kinda low in general but water gun is pretty good and it has some fun abilities. Upon evolving into Quagsire it gets Mud Bomb, which isn't a great move But Ground has like No Moves. Seriously there are 3 fully evolved mons with Ground Moves, 1 of them is locked to SUPER Post Game and the other 2 are Drill and Quag. I think Quag's move is slightly better since not needing to dash into your opponent to hit is more useful, but neither move is amazing.

Main priority is to get Nobuchika, but I'll accept any of them.

So I uh. Did a piss poor job with screen shots here. But uh.

Y3inHx5.png

I ended up only being able to kill Chikamasa, rather than get Nobuchika like I was hoping. Still I'll accept this.

lODqVyR.png

Sure it isn't Sweetie, I definitely am not approaching your location rapidly with my grass types. In Fact!

yKjkEaz.png

n5GnKqV.png

Hippity Hoppity, you no longer have healing.

umMsdO0.png

ObGsvXJ.png

CxTeRq7.png

drcOp9g.png

Ok but now we've actually won here.

TEFPO6p.png

l8A1sLv.png

And there goes the man, never to be seen again. Maybe. Probably.

555dWe3.png

DaywCbQ.png

Also new Guy. He'll be useful.

mYEs8Ly.png

Oh Boy Story Stuff

qly9cZo.png

Yeah They're making an animated Mario and decided to give it to Illumination Studios, truly a nightmare.

ETliMFi.png

Smth smth winds of destruction

Vnp6NC4.png

4evrvxX.png

NyPJDeX.png

I wanted to put the remake's version of the song here but apparently Square has basically removed it from Youtube. It's Annoying cause the track is good. Also it was hard to even find a version of the original too.

CNbn7Tu.png

NpgFoOE.png

That wouldn't be good, I mean if this guy is already this formidable, then imagine him with a legendary. Or even 2 of them.

4I9sTnj.png

Gotcha, Steal the legendary from him before he can get it.

hDAuRUf.png

WqOxtKx.png

OcKuXo8.png

This is an important bit of info, because now we're actually going to be able to recruit warlords. So now we can bolster our army with the game's resident "super trainers". I will be trying to do this, with one kingdom especially.

EaXTy8E.png

LNn4VIe.png

uxs0qu3.png

So I'm actually kinda curious to know if the enemy kingdoms can actually invade you here. Usually you have enough warriors to prevent that from being a serious threat, but it could be feasible here since I have so few warriors.

fQ8sp4f.png

I didn't grab a screenshot of him on the overworld/kingdom screen, but Morichika there is our recruit.
3PnxSfS.png

See?

Anyway gonna put all my grinding in a sub spoiler with rare but occasional comments.

GCLCzIG.png

pTPHIxu.png

From the Morichika recruitment

TywjSoJ.png

iIteMuc.png

IDKJkAi.png

nibDnd0.png

Fucking Stealth.

6bPQjhr.png

vNQyWCE.png

IdbGSIy.png

rFSyzXu.png

389m3v9.png

Zp2PF0x.png

EAEkbDL.png

skxQF2s.png

8eOX5oc.png

OL6ApiN.png

gIKSoXL.png

p1CUBYs.png

7MzVD7b.png

1zejn3v.png

bJEZsXI.png

zcsVRMd.png

An Annoying Aspect of "run up" moves, ones where you need to start a space away and move forward, is that you can't usually use them if you're too much higher than your opponent.

2eYon2i.png

If you don't have a good area to grind, you can just have your units mine for money and a little bit of link.

dlXx1du.png

You can also have your pokemon eat Ponigiri in order to boost their energy. This increases their stats, allowing them to do even better in battles.

wQ5w93r.png

You can also buy and sell stuff at the marts.

Now Back to the grind

qwXaBS5.png

Money.

KI0F6aC.png

ICbUfdQ.png

pEjPmaW.png

GLJUaYp.png

j2RDL4r.png

M4QMUgB.png

YG7Mmrg.png

wGCnyml.png

LKWyvxL.png

hhjZis5.png

DCqPwAK.png

8xc0Ix7.png

Buying some stuff for later use.

Anyway, after a lot of grinding,

3hTu8Pl.png

It's time.

Qpab1HZ.png

mQZUIli.png

tsF2rdQ.png

Violight is the first kingdom we're hitting for several reasons. First of all, it's the weakest of the kingdoms available, second it's the easiest one to throw immunities at since electric can't hurt wooper, and finally, Eevee and Jigglypuff don't have to spend the whole map terrified and can actually fight. There's also another reason but I'll get to it soon.

pJ6rvEl.png

F9YazQi.png

em2c73H.png

This map is uh. Very Heavy on its gimmick. There are electricity tiles that only electric and airbone mons can stand in, so a lot of the map is navigating around them while the ai uses them to hit you. Also there are buttons in the 4 corners of the center stadium where it'll shock the squares corresponding to the button with electricity. and Fittingly, that pichu starts close enough to move right onto the red button, which is the bottom right electric area. Also there are lightning bolts that spawn randomly and hit the black tiles, to try and prevent you from camping there. This occurs every few turns.

w3qTOQF.png

QuIQcAD.png

DRiXwYQ.png

PnpXgzq.png

n4ZVSTR.png

I remembered that you can hit the Y button to give explanations of abilities. Anyway.

Ginchiyo is one of the first warlords we can recruit and she's pretty great. She Comes with Bustle, a skill that gives her and adjacent allies a 1 square range boost, which is absurdly good. Her Perfect link is the Shinx line. It's pretty good, spark is a good move and discharge is a great attack. Thunder Kinda sucks but it's not the worst move ever.

Muneshige is the other option for first warlord and he's phenomenal. He comes which marksman which gives more crits and accuracy for 3 turns, which is very good. His perfect link is the Starly line, and that's what turns him from good to great. Starly is fine and Staravia is good but not amazing but Good God Staraptor is absurd. It helps that it's one of 2 fully evolved pokemon that gets a flying move and unlike the other one, its move is hillariously good. I'll be aiming for him, especially since there's another aspect to him that makes him good to get here.

Shoun has the Rally Skill, which gives a strength boost to him and adjacent allies. His Perfect link is the Mareep line, which is basically a tankier version of the Shinx Line. It trades spark for thundershock too, but it's a minimal change. It's fine but imo Shinx is better.

Sorin also has the rally skill. His perfect link is the Pichu line, which is honestly the best electric type line in the game. No Really. Pichu is bleh and pikachu takes a while to get to, but Pikachu gets the excellent Thunderbolt as a move. It has vine whip range but one away. But the real crazyness is Raichu, who makes thunderbolt a run up move, but in return it's now stupidly strong. It hits very hard, has good move and is very effective. Solid Backup for a non warlord pick.

Takatane has Top Speed, which gives him 2 extra move. His perfect link is the Shinx line, so ultimately he's kinda a discount version of Ginchyo. He's fine I guess.

Anyway after a few turns.

kAi6dJF.png

Zxj8WWv.png

pio19Q4.png

hE8G7iY.png

Chomp.

O9RY0eR.png

This is what I was referring to with random lightning strikes. They'll hit any black tile iirc so you can't be completely safe on them.

80Uk4Iu.png

mM2uAcf.png

It's a Shame she isn't a legal encounter but hey, she's technically recruited.

P8xgHOf.png

Ssw4b9c.png

WecL7m9.png

Paralysis is annoying, but Detox acts as a good way to deal with it.

0Qr1JXU.png

Healing.

rPQRXTB.png

UYYmY19.png

Daih8zY.png

Yeah you can see the difference between recruitment lines and non recruitment ones here when comparing Shoun and Takatane. Also another castle added to the collection.

UcPJ99F.png

1v0Ipmf.png

Muneshige was the encounter here so he's mine now.

ktAgLfW.png

u2PxMTm.png

JSIUKfq.png

Her Honor was kept in battle. Also does our mean her people, her family or her and muneshige? I assume the second.

jgAzOWb.png

You get a special message if you can get a warlord but don't recruit them.

ikX8mpr.png

Listen!

Also more Tutorial Stuff.

VCodzFF.png

mTYbeX6.png

p66UiPH.png

opjAVsz.png

Delegation allows you to have your warriors automatically act without having to go specifically command them to do so. It's very useful and can act as a way to train even if you're not doing anything actively.

Anyway Next time: More Grinding and fighting some more kingdoms. Maybe adding another warlord.

Mattman324

bread
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
YUUSHA
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
KITA KITA KITA
Also God I can swear to having damn near the exact same experience with Takatora (the flying/fire guy who starts with Charmander)
yes! that was who it was. it's good to know someone else has felt this.
It hits multiple times
note that this is PMD rules where hitting multiple times usually means you hit like a nuke, unless your attack is so shit that nothing could hit hard from you (jigglypuff)
His perfect link is Gyarados which is a pretty great mon in this game.
it's a legit top tier mon and everyone who PLs with it is worth it. do not let your opponents have gyarados in the missions. it is a bad idea.
I think Quag's move is slightly better since not needing to dash into your opponent to hit is more useful, but neither move is amazing.
quag's move has the same range, it's also a lot weaker. while quagsire is nice I'd say it's the third best non-legend ground move user, the best being Excadrill and the second best being Rhydon.
Smth smth winds of destruction
RED SUN
That wouldn't be good, I mean if this guy is already this formidable, then imagine him with a legendary. Or even 2 of them.
the fool of owari is absolutely the kind of guy who'd have something absurdly extra as his partner.
So I'm actually kinda curious to know if the enemy kingdoms can actually invade you here. Usually you have enough warriors to prevent that from being a serious threat, but it could be feasible here since I have so few warriors.
so, technically, yes, they can. it is theoretically possible.

I have only ever seen it done when a kingdom was left open for several turns. And you get warned about it in advance.

(Of course that's just the prologue story, the AI frequently invades in the missions)
Buying some stuff for later use.
why didn't you buy harmony flutes though

fourth best item in the game :V
Muneshige is the other option for first warlord and he's phenomenal. He comes which marksman which gives more crits and accuracy for 3 turns, which is very good. His perfect link is the Starly line, and that's what turns him from good to great. Starly is fine and Staravia is good but not amazing but Good God Staraptor is absurd. It helps that it's one of 2 fully evolved pokemon that gets a flying move and unlike the other one, its move is hillariously good. I'll be aiming for him, especially since there's another aspect to him that makes him good to get here.
muneshige is maximum overhorseshit, yes.

(Did you know that if you get your PL to 100, and thus hit Move +5, the move loses its negative aspects? I learned this first with Muneshige. Let me tell you, Brave Bird before level 100 is absolutely absurd, but Brave Bird with no downsides is an actual honest to god tactical nuke.)
Sorin also has the rally skill. His perfect link is the Pichu line, which is honestly the best electric type line in the game. No Really. Pichu is bleh and pikachu takes a while to get to, but Pikachu gets the excellent Thunderbolt as a move. It has vine whip range but one away. But the real crazyness is Raichu, who makes thunderbolt a run up move, but in return it's now stupidly strong. It hits very hard, has good move and is very effective. Solid Backup for a non warlord pick.
volt tackle is i believe the strongest move in the game. it might be hi jump kick, i might be wrong about that, but other than that it's there. it is a ludicrously overly strong move.
Also another castle added to the collection.

Delegation allows you to have your warriors automatically act without having to go specifically command them to do so. It's very useful and can act as a way to train even if you're not doing anything actively.
would you believe me if i said i have never once delegated in this game in my several hundred hours of playing it

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
I've never actually played Conquest or even seen a playthrough of it, so I'll definitely be watching to learn more about it.
it's not like the legendary would be a vain deity and make the continent shaped like itself. Nope no Way.
...Ransei must be a very weird-shaped continent if it's shaped like a legendary Pokémon :psyduck:
17 kingdoms? Ah, the Gen 5 days... 😔
Ok so I looked some stuff up, and like assuming this game is set at the end of Edo Japan then the timelines line up solidly with Legends Arceus. Like they're not concurrent events but they're pretty similar timeframes. Edo Japan's end date is place in 1867 while Japan's Takeover of Hokkaido starts in 1875 so like.
Even if it's just a coincidence, that's pretty cool!

Mattman324

bread
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
YUUSHA
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
KITA KITA KITA
Even if it's just a coincidence, that's pretty cool!
it's, uh

it's also just wrong.

saying that conquest happened during the edo period kind of totally ignores that nobunaga died before the start of the edo period, and that it was his actions, the actions of his underlings, and the actions of his enemies that led to the creation of the edo period (specifically, Nobunaga died before uniting Japan, so Hideyoshi finished the job for him, and then he tried to conquer Korea, failed, and died, leaving Ieyasu to take over and establish the Tokugawa Shogunate, which signaled the start of the Edo Period.)

no, this is the end of the Sengoku Jidai.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Yummy, eating spirits. 😋 Isn't that sacrilege? 🤔

*sweats in not Gyarados Man*

qly9cZo.png

Yeah They're making an animated Mario and decided to give it to Illumination Studios, truly a nightmare.
And more ✨ quirky ✨ Chris Pratt.

Re: trying to find Live A Live music. Square Enix is super protective of its music. Probably they can sell it to you in album or, apparently, rhythm-game format. 😒

And wouldn't it be even worse if one of the Legendaries was shiny!? :0

An Annoying Aspect of "run up" moves, ones where you need to start a space away and move forward, is that you can't usually use them if you're too much higher than your opponent.
running worst way to fight na

This man carried my Conquest run. 😌

DistortionLocke

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Motochika is pretty hot, ngl. Too bad he dresses like that and acts like that.

I was initially thrilled when I first saw Ginchiyo—finally, a female warlord other than the player!—and then she started going off…

What made me dislike her even more is that I failed to recruit her not once, but twice! 💢

Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 11, 2022
okay so this thread is BEAUTIFUL because of two reasons

-pokemon conquest. what an underrated game that i love
-live a live OH MY GOD I LVOE LIVE A LIVE DJFJWJGJRJDJFJSJDKSLALAKFJX

i'm so excited to see how this goes !! (I totally did not make an account just to express my appreciation 💀)

TheTRUEgge

three of them?? this has gotten out of hand!
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
AW YEAH MUNESHIGE! Really can’t go wrong with that guy, hope he serves you well! Good luck with the rest of this run, it’s been a while since we’ve had a Pokémon Conquest Nuzlocke around…

OP
Norhian Samur

Norhian Samur

Godfather
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Water
So it's been a while Huh?

Yeah I've been very busy with school stuff so I kinda procrastinated on this update.

Anyway:

Yeah Gyarados is fucking absurd, as is starraptor and raichu. Also Sorin is generally a funny unit to me because I feel like he has to inherently be one of the best generics in the game due to having Rally (an amazing skill) and linking with Raichu, but I don't think I've ever actually used him as a major fighter in any story.

Welcome, it's a fun game! And Who Knows! It might be weirdly shaped!

It's probably sacrilegious but who's gonna stop him?

Yeah Motochika is kinda like that. But he specializes in the samurott so obviously best character in the game. Granted he suffers from what I assume is a bug that gives him one of the worst promoted skills but that's not anything I can fix.

Ginchiyo is also kinda like that. I like her though, even if can be a bit annoying. Nothing the game does lets her overstay her welcome.

Understandable lol, Pokemon Conquest is great, and I had just played the Live A Live remake before that update and that game is so Damn Good. Welcome to the forums, hope you stick around!

It really has been a while Huh. Also yeah he absolutely will carry.

Onto the update.

NSSqJSs.png

e1xwoFw.png

2f9NydU.png

KdfPfdK.png

h7v18Eq.png

Yeah this is our big ol tutorial about linking, introducing the concept of perfect links and Capacity, Capacity is how many pokemon you can have at once and I've talk-

Wait a Minute. What the hell is that

Untitled.png

You may notice that instead of the normal white trainer icon there's a gold one instead. This means that there's a WARLORD spawned in that area. Considering that there's only 1 warlord who can appear in the wild areas right now, that mean GINCHIYO SPAWNED IN VIOLIGHT AND IS A LEGAL ENCOUNTER. WHAT THE HELL. This is good for me though because Ginchiyo is pretty good.

rUXuJog.png

Yeah so we're gunning for Ginchiyo.

PhEsPIm.png

ejeHBOr.png

5ve3Xhe.png

And with that, Ginchiyo defeated and recruited.

0z83Fpa.png

V19xYN5.png

p5CNRa9.png

So yeah we've expanded our operations to include another warlord. Because wild warriors scale with the power of the army you send in, Ginchiyo gets to come in a good deal stronger than she was in her own castle.

So a lot of this update is grinding to get some evolutions and catch up our new recruits. I'll put the grinding in a box but keep the evolutions out for y'all.

B8djp1B.png

5MbAc0C.png

CT6I6TX.png

4ctSSSp.png

This Led to Piplup's Evolution, and also where the Sewaddle and Shinx Evolution happened.

ZoEUtLR.png

UmxIJxM.png

THE ORB....

YpLbSIt.png

B8lL9mu.png

GsuO0VZ.png

Slapped to Death

oVrk3Ua.png

Kinda a bad image but this is important because it's time to acquire the sire.

ilzVLpP.png

ufNDYxw.png

E1qZL7a.png

V45Zjbm.png

BZJTKTM.png

WDInwxz.png

1fhrAGQ.png

And That was the last bit of grinding for this chapter.

First,

blt6nD0.png

w0Ub1QT.png

4KpuFQj.png

Chikamasa's piplup invovled into a prinplup.

unG5v2q.png

O7azZxW.png

Feeding Takakage's sewaddle some ponigiri prompted it to get the cocoon going.

eYr4PL5.png

DvsUwxv.png

Same with Ginchiyo

You may be wondering why pokemon are evolving after being fed with Ponigiri? Well in Pokemon conquest, evolutions are generally not determined by link. There are some link driven ones, like pichu's or swadloons, but generally most evolutions are based on a pokemon's stats. For example, Shinx evolved into Luxio when it hit 35 attack rather than any specific point in link. Ponigiri boosts a pokemon's energy, and the higher the stats, the higher the energy. Essentially, we can pump up a pokemon's stats to get evolutions faster by keeping energy high.

wZlFaPF.png

ckvu4de.png

Also this is the type of text you get when you get a perfect, it's basically the warrior reacting and talking to the mon about how strong the connection they feel is.

wTorcNz.png

Hfhsurn.png

v5mYdl6.png

9XoanTu.png

MwDe8ZX.png

Anyway we're actually going to begin our invasion

CBy1ctH.png

03quZgA.png

Of Chyrsalia. I decided I wanted to get some bugs before going for Pugilis

IPOE35B.png

wr4LVDe.png

Y1BoQX5.png

JPyASKe.png

Hizcye6.png

MHWSwoP.png

6fFpWTK.png

Yoshimoto's whole thing is that he doesn't actually care about battling and would rather be playing pokemari instead. I'm pretty sure there's a historical joke about him here but I'm not sure what exactly it is. Probably something about incompetence.

HDoYi9y.png

kyG032t.png

a2k7ezX.png

Hah, you're gonna die.

Anyway the gimmick is these balls are on the map. When hit they're sent flying and deal a chunk of damage to anything they hit. They go flying in whatever direction they're hit from, so if they're hit from the left, they go to the left. If hit at a diagonal, they go flying whichever direction the attacker is facing iirc? They're useful but more a nuisance if anything.

kDvpeoG.png

8T0Pg6m.png

uSuaUE9.png

MUeArCR.png

cLjXdTB.png

Yoshimoto is the Bug Warlord, with his ace being the Pineco line. You may have noticed how much praise I gave the past 2 warlords, so surely he's good too right? yeahhhhhhh No. Yoshimoto is the Worst Warlord in this game. No it's not a competition, he is singlehandedly that bad. His Gimmick is based around defense, his ace is a defensive mon and his warrior ability lets him get a full heal. The issue is that his style of defense isn't very good on defense. See trying to just tank hits can work, but you open yourself up to getting whaled on and overwhelmed on the vast majority of maps. No the real stat that's important when defending maps is Movement. Movement lets you get around the map and ensure that you're not getting attacked constantly by enemies. You don't need to kill your foe on defense, you just need to survive. He's better on Flag Maps, but even then he's not great there either. The AI is easier to exploit on flag maps and it's better to utilize the AI's flaws than try and face tank. His warrior abilities also don't really help if he tried to get a non pineco mon. Yeah we're not taking him by choice.

Ujichika is a bug specialist with temperate. His perfect Link is the Sewaddle Line. He's pretty good, Sewaddle is a good line that I've talked about before, so yeah he's good. I really like sewaddle in this game, so we're gonna be considering him.

Sessai specializes in Ice and Bug types, coming with the ability Quick Strike. Quick strikes gives you +1 range for a turn and makes your attack flinch, which can be incredible. Seriously, it's probably the best generic warrior skill in the game. Shutting down your foe's attack and moving further is big since you can both reach targets easier and shut an enemy down for a turn. His Perfect link is the Volcarona line though, and that line is not easy to get at all. Worth Considering.

Masatsuna specializes in bug types and comes with Rally. His perfect link is Beedrill. Beedrill is fine but it's nothing spectacular and really hard to get access to. As a result, I don't really want to recruit him over others.

Yasumoto is a bug type warrior who comes with Mighty Blow. His perfect link is the Joltik line, so in terms o9f actual mons he's mort of an electric trainer. He's good but not particularly high priority to me.

So Overall, I'm gunning for Ujichika or Sessai. They're the most useful ones imo.

6fo9pGr.png

First though, Prinplup is balling.

RJPag42.png

They couldn't handle prinplup balling and nearly died for it.

eiW7AOU.png

Bustle gives a move boost to eevee, which is useful.

jb8rLZP.png

Unfortunately, sessai is parked behing ujichika, so I won't be able to get him. Still Ujichika is useful.

Tt5Gy7Q.png

So Ujichika acquired.

zs5zCpR.png

53GSPKI.png

CtRTKsI.png

Speed, I am Speed.

qdk1QWD.png

qQDjVtM.png

Yeah Multihit moves kinda suck against Jagged Edge Enemies, you take a lot of damage from enemies the ability.

uo20zwu.png

yeah Jigglypuff took like a third of its health in damage from Jagged Edge. AND IT'S ABOUT TOT AKE ANOTHER THIRD!

P8QL1ao.png

1UlKUMU.png

37E6z44.png

Die.

wYI17Hj.png

Picking up some items for profit because not like I'm threatened by the sewaddle.

C6MzBVA.png

AhDnSvW.png

See What I mean?

18zXmrr.png

xfDjRPt.png

My Castle Now.

4BHfHAx.png

KhMNMaF.png

3zzA7aL.png

lVGkoul.png

Get Lost. My Castle Now. No Room for you. Nor Board.

U3vay1D.png

With That done, this update is over, will try to update more frequently.

TheTRUEgge

three of them?? this has gotten out of hand!
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
pffffft the Yoshimoto faces are SO GOOD

Yessssss that evolution grind... good luck at the fighting kingdom! that one can be tricky...

Mattman324

bread
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
YUUSHA
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
KITA KITA KITA
Ponigiri boosts a pokemon's energy, and the higher the stats, the higher the energy.
got this, uh, backwards i think
Essentially, we can pump up a pokemon's stats to get evolutions faster by keeping energy high.
well, there's other stuff to consider. for example, this game has IVs! which means that a bad IV roll can make it extremely hard to evolve certain pokemon.
Yoshimoto's whole thing is that he doesn't actually care about battling and would rather be playing pokemari instead. I'm pretty sure there's a historical joke about him here but I'm not sure what exactly it is. Probably something about incompetence.
the in joke is that Imagawa Yoshimoto is most known historically for having an army of 25000 guys, saying he had an army of 40000 guys, and then getting absolutely fucking shellacked by Oda Nobunaga with an army of 3000 guys.

it's basically the event that put Nobunaga on the map, the first thing he did after becoming the leader of the Oda clan.
He's better on Flag Maps, but even then he's not great there either.
he's legitimately insane on flag maps on the defense because jagged edge and forretress's god mode defenses, but there's no need for that in the main campaign.
Beedrill is fine but it's nothing spectacular
beedrill is super fucking solid because Vanguard means it will usually have a rather strong boost to damage and Twineedle is extremely powerful in this game... but it's missions only, so...

(also has bad defenses which doesn't help)

Users who are viewing this thread