• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Want to get a banner into the adspace for yourself? Submissions for new banners are open until September 30th!
  • The Writer's Locke has released it's final episode! Come celebrate a fantastic project with it's last hoo-rah.
  • This month's feature has an ANIMATED TRAILER and a backpack shaped like a spheal, what more could you ask for? Read Endurance: In Our Blood by purplechug!
  • The Hidden Gems Showcase (2022) is now closed. Thank you all who turned out this year! You can find all the cool content that got featured here. I hope you find a new gem to read!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Johto Written Log Commentary Please touch grass! [A Pokemon SoulSilver Pokewalker nuzlocke]

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
A Pokewalker-only run of SoulSilver documenting my experiences trying to get out more

zonerboy

*kills you with my laser beam*
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 4, 2022
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
he/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Dark
Pokédex Entry
It lurks in the shadows waiting to surprise its opponent with its lightning attacks. When angered, sparks will fly off its fur.
Please touch grass!
A SoulSilver nuzlocke in which I face every neurodivergent gamer's worst fear: going outside.

Hi, my name's Kris and welcome to my funny little diary where I'm going to write about my experiences attempting a Pokewalker-only nuzlocke. I'm starting this run hoping it will contribute to my mental and physical health, and I plan to include art with my logs. It will be part silly Pokemon shenanigans, part real life anecdotes. Let's go over the rules:
  • All Pokemon must be nicknamed, Pokemon that faint must be released.
  • I cannot catch Pokemon, nor buy or pick up items in-game unless they are required. I also cannot use wild battles to grind and must flee if I encounter one.
    • Shiny Pokemon are an exception to this rule and may be used if found in the wild, but this does NOT apply to the Lake of Rage Gyarados.
  • Pokemon catches will be granted by reaching step goals, NOT new routes. I will increase the required steps to get a new Pokemon as my walking stamina increases.
    • The way catches work is that once I hit my step goal, I can use those steps to "redeem" a Pokemon I caught on my walk. Steps to redeem a Pokemon do not save up, so each time I redeem a Pokemon it will be reset to 0. All Pokemon not redeemed will be released unless they are shiny (I'm doing this with a patched rom that shiny unlocks the Pokewalker).
    • Other than redeeming Pokemon, there are no restrictions on how I can use the Pokewalker. I can swap out Pokemon and get items at my leisure.

Run Stats
Total steps: 4,333
Current step goal: 5,000
Pokemon caught: 1
Pokemon released: 0
Badges obtained: 0
Current walk streak: 1 days
Best walk streak: 1 days

Log Entries
Log 01 - Baby steps

Last edited:
OP
zonerboy

zonerboy

*kills you with my laser beam*
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 4, 2022
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
he/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Dark
Pokédex Entry
It lurks in the shadows waiting to surprise its opponent with its lightning attacks. When angered, sparks will fly off its fur.
Log 01 - Baby steps

The first outing was a huge success! I had a good time and got a nice breakfast, and I more than doubled my anticipated step count. I set out shortly after the sun rose, while it was still nice and chilly out. I'm not normally up that early but my sleep schedule is a little all over the place right now so I figured I would walk as soon as it was light out.

1.png

I'm not the biggest fan of my neighborhood but the walk to the store is nice, it's a pretty area. Only complaint is that my legs started to itch like hell, but I've been told it's my blood circulation or something, it just happens if you don't walk much and then walk a lot all of a sudden. Also apparently the air is supposed to be smokey today? I'm up in the northwest so, wildfires, y'know. Didn't even notice the air though.

After ~1500 steps I caught my first Pokemon and quickly realized I would be swarmed by Paras, I wasn't sure if I could even get another Pokemon until I raised my step count. Got a Spearow soon enough though, and I was considering it for my starter since it seemed like a solid enough choice. Plus I'm not really a bug guy. On the other hand though, having a grass starter in a run titled "Please touch grass!" might be a requirement.

2.png

Anyway, I have GOT to go out for breakfast more often. I'm glad the Starbucks was closed because I would have just walked home with a little drink but no, breakfast. Bless the server who gave me TWO hot chocolates, thought I ordered two on accident but apparently it just comes with two. The food was bangin. It was at this point that I started to dowse for some items, and I think Energy Powder is gonna be an asset early on.

The walk home was nice too, and I tried very hard and failed to catch a Bellsprout. And by tried very hard I mean I fumbled two encounters and then accidentally didnt keep the one I did catch, and by that point I just wanted to cash in my watts. If god wants to give me Paras then who am I to question it?

Rally
Paras ♀️
Naughty nature, Highly curious
Met in Noisy Forest at lvl. 6

3.png

Me choosing Paras over Spearow is a bit funny because I'm terrified of bugs in real life, so having one as a partner would be rough. I don't think Paras would freak me out as much though because I imagine it to be very slow-moving. I don't like bugs because they skitter everywhere and crawl all over shit and on walls and cielings, but I don't think Paras would do that. Probably because of the fungus in its brain.

Now that I have my starter situated, I can actually play. I won't get far with just one Paras though so I'll need to wait another outing or two to challenge the first gym. For now though, we take what we can get. Despite the 4x weaknesses and being useless in the first gym, Effect Spore and Stun Spore/PoisonPowder as starting moves ain't too bad. May this little beast go far in life.

4.png

Alright I immediately have to rescind my "ain't too bad" statement because I didn't think about the fact that you're just not supposed to have status effects this early in the game. The only Pokemon she didn't bulldoze over was Weedle; I had to use both my Energy Powders because she got poisoned. Smooth sailing other than that though.

It's here that I have to cut it because I think reaching Azalea Town is far enough for just a Paras. We're gonna need backup if we wanna beat Falkner. Not sure which route I'm picking for my next outing yet, either Refreshing Field or Rugged Road. I'll also be bumping the step goal up to 5k because I vastly underestimated how much I'd walk.

9/21/2022
Steps counted: 4333
Watts collected: 105
Pokemon caught: Paras, Paras, Spearow
Items obtained: Energy Powder, Energy Powder, Cheri Berry
Paras joined the team!

Last edited:

KitkatKK2

Derp
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 18, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/She
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon can often be found alone in her room writing or reading. This is because she is an introvert who doesn’t feel like going outside today.
ew touching grass

This is a really cool concept for a run!

crashcrashcrash

More like trashtrashtrash, amiright
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 11, 2021
Nature
Brave
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Flying
Oh this is so cooooool!! Forget Pokémon go, real gamers get fit with nuzlockes!!

For though the pokewalker is such a nostalgic part of HGSS for me, and this is such a creative way to show it some love. Plus ART?? It’s so cute?? I’m sold.

Good luck on the run! Paras is kind of rough for the first gym, but I believe in Rally. May she help you overcome your bug discomfort in due time :D

Valerie

The Fairy Queen
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 23, 2022
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
What a fun concept! I definitely wish you the best of luck with this challenge! I wish I still knew where my PokeWalker is because I could benefit from a little more walking myself...

Users who are viewing this thread