• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Sinnoh General Platinum, but without the 'E'.

Thread Description
Newest Chapter: Chapter 12 - _eastward (5/12/21)

Wenitzb

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
  1. Psychic
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
Extremely patient, WENITZB are willing to wait for years to start/complete a task. Overthinking is also theorised to play a role in this phenomenon.
Hello again Nuzlocke Forums!

2 months ago I made a post here of my run where I challenged myself to beat Pokémon Emerald without using any Pokémon, attacks, or items with an 'E' in their names.

Today, I am here to attempt the same challenge in the mildly harder Platinum version.

Here are the rules that I chose for this run.

---

Standard Nuzlocke rules

1. Thou shalt count thy HP to zero, no more, no less. Zero shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be zero. Minus one HP shalt thou not count, neither count thou one HP, excepting that thou then proceed to zero HP. Minus two HP is right out. Once the number zero, being the zeroth number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Pokémon of thy team towards thy ‘Dead Box’, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.

2. The first Pokémon encountered in each route/town/etc may be the only Pokémon caught/used in/from that area, no exceptions (except for the accepted exceptional exceptions in rules 4, 5, and 7).

3. Each Pokémon is a unique individual with their own names, hopes, and dreams. This fact will be completely disregarded as I give them a brand new name of my choosing (and by ‘my choosing’, I mean rule 3a’s choosing).

4. Only one Pokémon of each species may be obtained. Each Pokémon is a unique individual after all, so naturally I will do everything within my power to demonstrate this.

5. IF(Pokémon=SHINY, CATCH=TRUE). Any caught shinies that break rules 2, 4, and/or 7 may only sit in the box and think about what they did. (Let’s try and avoid finding any Wingull this time though please game.)

6. If I beat the first battle against Barry, I win! ...That’s not far enough for you? Fine, Cynthia it is then. (Maybe the postgame battles too)

Extra rules

7. If a Pokémon’s name, attack, or item contains an ‘E’ or ‘e’ in it, then that Pokémon/attack/item is banned and may not be used! (‘é’ is permitted though, for the same reasons as previously mentioned in my previous run. Yes Pokéballs good, no Pokéballs bad.)

7a. Strength and Waterfall must be used to progress past some obstacles despite containing an ‘e’. As such, both moves may only be used at these mandatory points. (Also, Defog is banned out of battle as it isn’t mandatory.)

7b. I may not use Key items with an ‘E’ or ‘e’ in them unless their usage is necessary to progress and only at that point (I think this only includes the Parcel, the Bicycle, the Galactic Key, the Secret Potion, the Storage Key, and the Works Key.)

3a. If Smash Bros fans have shown me anything, it’s that there are a LOT of people unfamiliar with numerous iconic (and less iconic) franchises throughout the history of video games. As such, each Pokémon will be named after the main character (or closest equivalent) of a randomly chosen JRPG courtesy of https://www.jrpgc.com/randomizer/ (after running a random number generator to pick between the list of given randomised games). Enjoy your ‘anime-swordfighter’ introductions.

8. Attempt to not level up my Pokémon above the level of the highest level Pokémon of the next significant trainer. (Not including the E4’s Aaron as I’d like to not be grossly underleveled for Cynthia thank you very much.)

9. Have fun! (Or at least try to.)

---

Like before, my run will be entirely contained within a Google Doc for anyone to view (but not edit). It can be found at the end of this post.

Unlike before however, I do not have the entire run completed/available for the viewing pleasure/displeasure of others. I have only released the first 2 chapters so far (which is still double the amount most runs tend to start with).

As is generally the case with most runs, I'll update my run periodically with additional chapters and comment here once they are available and edit this post to include which chapters are currently available (and the date I released them).

Speaking of, here is that list.

Chapter 1 – _ncor_ (26/9/21)
Chapter 2 - _xp_ct_d (26/9/21)
Chapter 3 - _xactly (as plann_d) (3/10/21)
Chapter 4 - _xcavat_ (10/10/21)
Chapter 5 - _xposur_ (17/10/21)
Chapter 6 - _volving (and lack th_r_of) (24/10/21)
Chapter 7 - _t_rna (31/10/21)
Chapter 8 - _xplanation (7/11/21)
Chapter 9 - _ntry Only (14/11/21)
Chapter 10- _ctoplasm (21/11/21)
Chapter 11 - _xc_ll_nt (28/11/21)
Chapter 12 - _astward (5/12/21)

I've managed to make a solid amount of progress with this run already, so I 'should' be able able to release new chapters at a consistent pace for quite a while. But once I reach the point where my released chapters catch up to my in-game progress, new chapters will need quite a lot more time to complete. (I 'should' still be able to keep a steady stream of chapters for 15 or so chapters.)

But that's enough about hearing me talk about the run, you want to see the run (or so I'd assume by you being here).

Here you go. Here's my poorly named Google Doc of my run where I attempt to beat Platinum without using any Pokémon, attacks, or items without an 'E' or 'e' in them.

I hope you enjoy reading through this run as it progresses (if you choose to do so).

Last edited:

Sheepscope

Johto League Champion
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
A bed, with wall-to-wall books and a papery carpet
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
Constantly in search of the highest challenge, this person takes up the most impractical rulesets.
Thou shalt count thy HP to zero, no more, no less. Zero shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be zero. Minus one HP shalt thou not count, neither count thou one HP, excepting that thou then proceed to zero HP. Minus two HP is right out. Once the number zero, being the zeroth number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Pokémon of thy team towards thy ‘Dead Box’, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.
XD XD XD XD XD XD XD

Cirr

I'm a bot! (maybe) #OnionBoy
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
beep/boop
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
  3. Cute
  4. ???
Pokédex Entry
Fails Captchas with regularity
oh I didn't realize the person with a vendetta against e is back

looks good so far, good luck!

Wenitzb

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
  1. Psychic
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
Extremely patient, WENITZB are willing to wait for years to start/complete a task. Overthinking is also theorised to play a role in this phenomenon.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
XD XD XD XD XD XD XD
If only you had one less XD, I could have said your comment was a SiXD
oh I didn't realize the person with a vendetta against e is back

looks good so far, good luck!
I wouldn't say I have a vendetta against 'E', it's more so that it's the letter featured in the most Pokémon/attacks/items so removing it limits my options the most. (Also vendettas are forbidden.)

Cheers! Let us hope that RNG heard your demand for luck to be good.

Chapter 3: _xactly (as plann_d), is now available and features my reasoning for my choice in my Starter Pokémon.

Last edited:

Wenitzb

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
  1. Psychic
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
Chapter 4: _xcavat_, is now available and features me attempting to beat the Oreburgh Gym.

Wenitzb

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
  1. Psychic
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
Chapter 5: _xposur_, is now available. I would like to apologise in advance to every artist for the horrors known as my 'art' contained in this update (and also for resurfacing potential memories associated with the chapter's title).

Wenitzb

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
  1. Psychic
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry

Wenitzb

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
  1. Psychic
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
Chapter 7: _t_rna is now available and features some events (including the gym) within a town who's name is on the tip of my tongue.

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is a master of having too many projects at the same time. Also, Pikablu.
Oh my god, you madman, you're doing it again. I've yet to start reading, but I already commend you for your efforts

Cirr

Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
beep/boop
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
  3. Cute
  4. ???
Pokédex Entry
congrats on the gardenia win

late edit: would it be possible to have a content page of sorts? it's kinda troublesome to keep scrolling down to find the latest update

Last edited:

Lumaeus

The Hero of Vine
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is trying its best to fight the good fight.
This is a follow-up run to a singularly witty and hilarious run. I will try to avoid any glyph you disallow. I just want to say, this is a fantastic start with captivating art. Thank you!

Wenitzb

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
  1. Psychic
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
Oh my god, you madman, you're doing it again. I've yet to start reading, but I already commend you for your efforts
Clearly I didn't learn my lesson the first time.

Hopefully the run meets your expectations once you do get around to reading it.
congrats on the gardenia win

late edit: would it be possible to have a content page of sorts? it's kinda troublesome to keep scrolling down to find the latest update
Cheers! Thankfully Gardenia isn't much of a roadblock.

I have a link for each chapter set up near the top-left of the doc for each chapter with the names of each chapter. If they're not appearing for you, selecting the 'Show document outline' button (the one that looks like a piece of paper with writing on it) should show the list of chapters. If you're still having issues, please let me know.

I wasn't able to find a way to link directly to each chapter, otherwise I would have absolutely done that for convenience.
This is a follow-up run to a singularly witty and hilarious run. I will try to avoid any glyph you disallow. I just want to say, this is a fantastic start with captivating art. Thank you!
Thank you! I did try to add my standard humour so it's good that it can still bring joy.

You did good in avoiding said glyph!

Thank you (again)! I must say that 'Captivating' is not as unkind as words I'd say about my 'art'.

Chapter 8: _xplanation is now available and features the Galactic Hideout and (unsurprisingly) an explanation. This explanation is about a few decisions I've decided to make about what I intend to try for the upcoming unexpected challenge caused by a usually coveted item.

Lumaeus

The Hero of Vine
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon is trying its best to fight the good fight.
That transportation-born logistical conundrum is frightful! But your Drifloon is inspiring. Again, your art thrills, and I find Skuntank chic and cool. I had such a skunk on my squad back in my first playthrough. Good luck, though I don't think that luck is foundational to your victory :)

Cirr

Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pronouns
beep/boop
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
  3. Cute
  4. ???
Pokédex Entry
oh, hmm - it might have been a mobile thing, i see it fine on desktop

good job on the skuntank

also if i haven't mentioned it yet, nice drawings

... that is one troublesome bike, though

Wenitzb

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
  1. Psychic
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
That transportation-born logistical conundrum is frightful! But your Drifloon is inspiring. Again, your art thrills, and I find Skuntank chic and cool. I had such a skunk on my squad back in my first playthrough. Good luck, though I don't think that luck is foundational to your victory :)
Thankfully stating that using things in my bag if it must with a bad glyph in it stops soft locks from failing my run.

Thanks! A good thing about art is that it's quality (usually) is improving as you do additional art. It's (mostly) all uphill from this point on!

Skuntank is not a common pick for runs and sadly it is not in Platinum, so I can't own it.

Thank you (again)! Luck is kind of important as it is RNG's option to bully/favour.
oh, hmm - it might have been a mobile thing, i see it fine on desktop

good job on the skuntank

also if i haven't mentioned it yet, nice drawings

... that is one troublesome bike, though
Ah, I see. Sorry, I didn't know about the chapters not appearing on mobile as I've been using my desktop only (and I'm not sure how to get it to appear on mobile).

Cheers and thank you!

It really is, and now you can see the result of those troubles.

Chapter 9: _ntry Only, is now available and features (mostly) the Bike-induced gauntlet.

Last edited:

Wenitzb

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
  1. Psychic
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
Chapter 10: _ctoplasm is now available and features the Hearthome Gym.

I've also noticed that recent images on the doc have been a bit blurry despite the image being uploaded being perfectly fine and I'm not sure what's causing that.

On top of that, my images I had been cutting unnecessary space off of had been resizing themselves too, so I had to use the original uncut screenshots. Apologies in advance for the extra scrolling required to get through the run (especially for this chapter as it is the longest one even with shortened images).

Wenitzb

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
  1. Psychic
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry

Wenitzb

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
  1. Psychic
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
Chapter 12: _astward is now available and features a fair amount of distance travelled in a general direction.

Users who are viewing this thread