• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

Nuzlocke Advice Opinons on lost runs

cemiller1292

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 14, 2020
What is the interest in reading a pokemon run that's lost in the end? Asking for a friend.:whistling:

Garnet

Officially ADHD
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
So, true story, the original Nuzlocke actually ended in a failed run! Ruby ended up losing to Steven, and it was represented as such in the comic :0 His loss against Steven (As well as the namesake Nuzleaf earlier in the run) actually led into his future run of FireRed from a storytelling standpoint!

As for the interest in reading a run that loses... Well, for one, if you're reading as it uploads and/or don't know the ending going into it, you don't know whether they win or lose! Though most of the runs I've around seen were successful, there's certainly been ones that were lost, and the suspense of not knowing how it'll go is definitely a draw :d And of course, as seen with Nuzlocke's own Hard Mode series, a failed run doesn't inherently mean that it can't be used for a story - A run that's lost could actually be better suited towards a story with a darker tone, or on the flip side, make for a fun, darkly comedic run, or as in Nuz's case, be used to push forward future runs in the same setting!

In fact, though comics, stories, and sswl runs are arguably the most popular here on the forums, on other parts of the web video and streaming formats are the most widespread - In terms of videos, I've been following Johnstone's randomized Nuzlockes as of late, and let me tell you what, the vast majority of those runs end in a wipe and reset. But there's plenty of humor, suspense, and emotional turmoil to be found in them, and watching him struggle makes the triumph when he finally does beat it that much more satisfying! Honestly there's really nothing quite like watching a man wipe to a Kyogre after saying to yourself the stream before "He needs something to counter Water-types with Ice coverage, he's gonna lose to that."

Failed runs aren't for everybody, and from a creator's perspective it might be more worthwhile to try the run again until you get gameplay that works with the story you plan to tell if you have one in mind, rather than trying to adapt around it at the cost of theming, but they definitely have their potential in the right hands!

Chess

birds can't hurt me these shades are gucci
Globetrotter
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Team Omega
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
They/Them/She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Grass
Pokédex Entry
can be bribed with shiny objects and spices to do household repairs. utterly incapable of many things, but does them anyway
People have done some really cool things with failed runs in the past, your hypothetical friend will probably get an audience out of it

Inksword

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 9, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
I would read a failed run! Of course the readers wouldn't know it's failed in the end. I've seen people who incorporate failed runs into their character's backstory rather than letting the run play out. I would just make sure, win or lose, you tell a complete story where the ending still has some meaning and isn't too sudden for no reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)