• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

General Video Games Opinions on Hacked Pokemon In Wonder/Surprise Trade

SimplyUnknown

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
Ever since Wondertrading was created back in Gen 6, there have been people who have used it to send hacked Pokemon. These hacked Pokemon are usually Shinies, are level 100, and come with excellent moves and abilities. Heck, my very first Shiny was a hacked Moltres! But considering the issues that they can cause, like you can't use them in competitive and apparently having one could potentially break your game back when Sword/Shield first came out, I wonder what people's opinions on them are.

My opinions on them are mixed. I have definitely benefited from them, like with the Shiny Moltres I mentioned above. And people must like them. I mean, there are dedicated websites where you can purchase these Pokemon, and I just got three of them while randomly Surprise-trading to clean out my box; two shinies and a level 100 new Legendary which was nice for my dex at least. So obviously there is a market for them. But considering what we do for nuzlockes and how they usually come in at high levels, they aren't really helpful gameplaywise. But they don't hurt anything in-game since it's a player's choice whether to use one or not, unless they want to go competitive where they would run into problems.

So what do you guys think? Like 'em, hate 'em, or have no opinion?

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
I've gotten a number of these. I won't list the names of them because a lot of the OTs and nicknames are advertisements for said genners (who want you to give them money so they can generate a Pokemon for you). Regardless, anything I get that I suspect is hacked or cloned I have quarantined and do not use. Still waiting for a tool like PokeCheck from the Gen V days for testing legitimacy. They'll either sit there forever or their fate will get determined by a legitimacy check someday. Meanwhile, anything I'm confident is hacked or cloned, I throw them out. I'll keep the Master Balls they invariably come with (because I almost never use them anyway), but otherwise I release 'em. Although, I'll admit, releasing a hacked shiny Lycanroc was kinda hard since it looked pretty darn cool, but there's no way I'm using a mon whose nickname is a genning advert.

But yeah, as someone who was heavy into breeding and trading at one point, I'm pretty heavily against genning and cloning Pokemon and won't knowingly trade for them. RNG manipulation is where I draw the line. Won't do it myself (easier for me to just breed, especially this Gen), but won't get upset if someone else does it or trades me RNG manipped Pokemon.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I used to have a rule that I was stuck with whatever I got regardless of its level, but now that I'm doing nuzlockes on a more frequent basis, I don't have that rule anymore.

I will say that recently I've been getting a large amount of non-hacked, non-shiny overleveled Pokemon in my Sword surpriselocke test run (by 'test run' I mean that there's no permadeath, but I follow all the other rules of a surpriselocke, so I know what to watch out for when I hopefully eventually do surpriselocke Sword), and given how long it takes to execute a single surprise trade in SwSh, it's really annoying when I have a long string of overleveled Pokemon that I have to just keep trading in hopes of getting something actually usable.

I did get a level 12 shiny Rockruff holding a Master Ball in my currently running Ultra Sun wonderlocke. I don't know whether he was hacked or not, but what the heck, he's awesome and I'm keeping him. I just have to figure out what I'm gonna do with the Master Ball, given that anything I catch is supposed to be Wonder Traded anyway.

JavierE64

Masks are so 2016!!! But don´t forget to wear one
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Pokédex Entry
The Master of both Light and Darkness; who loves the Violent and Dramatic, and the Fun and Adorable.
I don´t know if this is the case anymore, but I once heard that having illegal Pokémon can get your system banned.
Just today, I got a clearly hacked Jirachi in Ultra Sun by Wondertrade; and when I tried to trade it back, the game won´t allow me since it was a special Pokémon (Even more proof of being hacked) , and had to release it because I know this was gonna cause me trouble.

Is more than clear the person who hacked this Pokémon did it with malicious intent.

I can understand the appeal of these hacked Pokémon, but I personally won´t support something that can be use to screw with other people.

Mr Spaz

I caught the big– OH SHIT
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him/It
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying, Ghost
If I get one of those obviously hacked Level 100 Shiny Legendaries in a Wonderlocke, I tend to throw them into the PC as a "break glass in case of emergency" mon, only for use if everything else is dead. Although, if I get it as like my second mon (which has happened), I occasionally weaken wild mons with my other teammates then throw the hacked mon in as a meat shield while I pelt the wild mon with Pokeballs. Then they get boxed after my team fills up.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
I release them. I don't like receiving them, so I don't send them back out. I do, however, take any Master Balls they were holding before I release them, such as a Shiny Eevee I received that had a website as an OT. I know I've used things like this because some people make some very convincing hacks, but anything blatant goes.

I honestly hate how people send out things that are illegal in the game, such as Shiny-locked Pokemon that have never been released as events. If someone wants to do a direct trade for them, I don't have a problem since then the person in question knows what they're getting. However, sending something like that to someone who doesn't know what they're getting is just wrong to me. Especially if someone is unaware that it's illegal. I'd love to do another Wonderlocke in Sword and Shield, but with how rampant these things are makes me very hesitant despite the fact that I have a rule for it (Release hack, catch another Pokemon, send that out). Even Pokemon Home isn't safe right now. I got a Glastrier (Crown Tundra spoiler) that, again, had a website as an OT.

kururu

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Level 100 shinies which are clearly hacked? No thanks.

But, uh. I must admit, I do send out some form of hacked Pokemon - sort of? They're the Berry Glitch Zigzagoon, but moved up to Gen VIII. I think it's a neat little bit of history, and I have access to generating them - but they have a set number of different versions, so it's a little easier for me to simply refresh my supply from PKHeX. (I could also do the same with the Channel Jirachi - ah, the life of a collector.)

Neotornado

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
I need to buy a pro account? (He/Him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
I generally just quarrantine WT hacks in their own box, I'll just leave most of the more obvious ones to rot (websites anywhere in the OT or name is a dead giveaway) but I might keep some of the ones that are either amusing (such as a shiny oricorio that had 0 IV in everything but attack and speed with both stats maxed out) or at least look legitimate (I've hatched my own 6IV shiny before so it's not impossible but it's probably still super cloned at best if one's sending it out on wonder trade)
That being said I'm gonna keep things that are not normally possible but can be obtained in-game like the under-leveled trade pokemon in earlier gens/pokemon GO transfer

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
I recently got a shiny Galarian Yamask with an URL as its nickname, which is a dead giveaway for a hacked mon. I'm still keeping it because it's kind of cool, but I'm not using it in online raid battles because I don't want to advertise cheat sites.

Inksword

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 9, 2020
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
I found a couple in my ORAS wonderlocke, but since they were usually a high level, and I made a rule where I had to trade until I found something under my level limit, I usually traded them away. I did end up keeping a pidgey that I later found out was either hacked or from someone who somehow got an early version of the gen 1 DS virtual re-releases of the original games. It was only level 1, but it had Mimic which pidgey could only ever learn in gen 1 from the mimic TM. I ended up using it actually!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)