• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Kanto Johto Written Log Teen Mon Of Pokemon and Pirates - a SoulSilver Nuzlocke

Thread Description
Oh no, he's giving it a go...

King Smorgascake

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2021
Nature
Bold
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Part IV - The Brothers Avery

I prepared and I prepared and I prepared some more. And I was ready to head west. Bizarrely, the only way west is either by a hell of a long surf to the south, or through Diglett's Tunnel just east of Vermillion City. No fine countryside paths, or even a caves, as for some ridiculous reason it is not possible to reach Mt. Moon from the east. I went with Diglett's Tunnel, filthy as it was, but I'll certainly be giving Route 4 the ladder treatment.

Pewter City is a pleasant place, nice and quiet and relaxed. I noted the Gym, but decided to travel to Mt. Moon first for some training. There were a fair few trainers on the way, and I maintain that these Kanto chaps are quite tough, but it was nothing that caused my excellent team any concern. In Mt. Moon itself though, I was rather surprised to meet yet another Hitman! I thought I'd dealt with all of these fools, as I hadn't come across any since Victory Road, but he came to a similar end; in this case, decapitated by SliceNDice.

Anywho, there was nothing much else to do, as Kanto has barely been set up to provide any plot material for an over-dramatised TV series retelling of my glorious quest. So I decided to mosey on back to Pewter and take on everyone's favourite squinty bastard at the gym. Weak gym trainer, weak gym trainer, yadda yadda yadda. Just let me get to the main man, will you?

Now then, Brock. At first I was disappointed, brushing aside his first three pokemon with ease. Sniper did the job, Surf, Surf, Surf, dead, dead, dead. But then out came the two fossils, Kabutops and Omastar. I was impressed by Brock's training as I had a tough time putting these two back into extinction. I did so very finely, of course, but they gave me a much tougher time than I anticipated. I gave credit to Brock for that. He was quite an amicable fellow, too. None of this suicide-in-defeat nonsense that I've experienced with no less that five top trainers so far. Just a humble guy who was happy to see a new top-level challenger.

Job done here. That's about all there is to report. Kanto is so boring. Virtually nothing of interest is happening here, beside that confusing Team Rocket grunt whose actions make no sense at all...no, don't think about it, Smorgas, don't do this to yourself!

Next is south, to Viridian City. Here's hoping more happens and I can provide a much more enticing entry.

The team - SliceNDice the Scizor, Kelpie the Lapras, Sniper the Kingdra

~ King Smorgascake, October 1999.

King Smorgascake

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2021
Nature
Bold
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
Nearly two weeks since my last update? Blimey!

After trekking through Viridian Forest and making short work of the usual resident Bug-catchers (don't these guys ever get bored of constantly catching endless Caterpies and Weedles), I arrived at Viridian City, Kanto's so-called 'gate to the Pokemon League' (ignore the fact that one must still traverse another long route and Victory Road before getting anywhere near the League).
Glorious! Blue's resident city! He's a gym leader, he has a badge, and it's time to get some revenge for him (a) constantly sending embarrassingly incompetent assassins after me, and (b) being a colossal arsehole. ...or so I thought. Turns out, he's not even there. An old man who spends many a day loitering outside the gym (not to be confused with the pervy one hanging around outside the one in Celadon City) explained that Blue often leaves to go on little holidays, and he was seen heading south to what's left of Cinnabar Island.

Cowardly cur! He knew full well that I was coming! South it is!

And so I passed through Pallet Town, paying a visit to the good Professor Oak along the way, and surfed south to Cinnabar. More swimmer trainers, but why am I always the only one Surfing? Anywho, Cinnabar was once a most gorgeous little island town, but the volcano it was sitting on exploded a lot harder than the kamikaze Electrode that we all hate, and all that survived is the Pokemon Centre. Such a shame! At least the townsfolk all managed to escape in time.

Blue Avery was here though, just wandering around looking at the rubble. Must be fond of volcanoes, as not exactly much else to do here. No nonsense though, I strode right over to him to demand he get back to his gym. Blue was...an interesting chap. Arrogant, vulgar, but very intrigued to battle me. He explained that he was looking forward to meeting someone that could not only defeat him, but also his brother Red, whom he apparently detests. The hitmen he sent were to test me and keep me on my toes (might have worked if they were any good at battling). Blue explained that he has no love for his brother, with his ineffective ruling, lack of presence in the Pokemon League (ironic, coming from a gym leader who spends most of his time on holidays), but mostly because he's the younger brother and just always had to be that little bit better than Blue. I listened to his story intently, not because I had the slightest interest in Blue's feelings, but because it may present an opportunity. Blue knows Red, and his team, better than anyone.

So I made a deal with the enemy. Return to your gym, I said, and if I defeat you I'll spare your miserable pirate life in exchange for information on how Red battles, his tactics, his team, and most importantly where in the name of Arceus he actually is! Blue replied that he was going to make the same offer, but first I must prove that I am worthy to fight him, the trainer better than everyone other than his brother, by defeating Blaine in the newly-established gym in the Seafoam Islands, to the east. I agreed, because only once I've conquered all will I know I'm ready for Red. In what order does not really matter.

Surfing further east from Cinnbar, I eventually reached the Seafoam Islands. I explored the lower areas first, defeating a few snowboarders and skiers (seriously, you're so desperate you came here? Move to Sinnoh, already!) and accidentally killing the legendary pokemon Articuno. Uhh, damn...
I could have Surfed even further east to Fuschia City and taken out the remaining trainers en route, but Flapper seemed unwilling to Fly back here directly, so I just went up to challenge Blaine. It's a Fire gym, so you know what that means. Surf, Surf, Surf, and more Surf. Blaine himself, another do-or-die Libertalian, wasn't much trouble for Kelpie and Sniper. When Sniper finished off Blaine's prized Rapidash, the flaming horsey jumped about in pain a little before falling. Why is the relevant? Because it jumped straight into Blaine, setting him alight. Sniper used Surf to douse the flames, but it also just took the poor bastard out completely. Oh well, I very much doubt he'd have surrendered. Didn't seem the sort. I mean, he wears sunglasses in a cave, for Arceus sake!

Following Badge no#7 (Volcanobadge? I'm getting lost with all these names), I behooved to Surf east to Fuschia, finishing off the last of the trainers in the area. And the last of Kanto's trainers that are outside of Viridian Gym. So there's only one place to go next. It's finally, finally time to take one of the Avery brothers down. Even better, I heard that Mr. Blue Avery has a fine wine cellar...oh, joy!

The team - SliceNDice the Scizor, Kelpie the Lapras, Sniper the Kingdra.

~ King Smorgascake, October 1999.

King Smorgascake

Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2021
Nature
Bold
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
I quickly flew to Cinnibar Island next to give Blue the good news (well, not for him), upon which he agreed to return to his gym. I flew to Viridian, but Blue was busy 'getting his gym ready.' Not to worry, I'll rest up and spend the night nearby to freshen up before getting that final badge in the morning. No drinks, no drinks...ok, maybe just one glass of the regional cabaret sauvignon.

The following morning, I did indeed venture to Viridian Gym. The gym trainers there were tough, using multi-type teams just as Blue apparently does. Good. I never understood the whole 'one type per gym leader' thing. Why would you limit yourself when it's so obvious that a balanced team will quickly see you to the top? Even the mighty Lance's team isn't overly diverse...as I found out to my sheer joy, a Lapras learns the right moves to smash his entire team. Hoohee!!!

After battling through some good, tough trainers and navigating the bizarre and frustrating floor panels, I came up against Blue. We knew the stakes. And more importantly, we knew our deal. The battle commenced.

It would be unfair to say that Blue wasn't the toughest opponent I've faced thus far. Maybe others were tougher in the context of the teams I had at the time (Jasmine, Clair, Karen), but Blue may well have destroyed me had a faced him some time before now. He had a well balanced, powerful team (except for Exeggutor...one SliceNDice X-Scissor and another crappy Grass-mon bites the dust!) and I had to switch regularly between my three bad boys (well, two bad boys and one bad girl) to ensure that his team went down. Once his last pokemon, a Rhydon, fell, I had to commend him. He was good.
But I've never known someone to swear and curse the way he did! I've heard less f-bombs and c-bombs from Millwall FC's hooligan firm! Once he calmed down, he admitted that I was the real deal and stood a chance against Red. And so it was, in the spirit of our prior agreement, that he told me everything about Red's team and where the bastard is 'training' (another word for 'hiding' as far as I'm concerned). In return, I spared Blue's life, but he will be spending a bit of time in prison in due course. Three years, to compensate for his role in Libetalia's disastrous rule. Better get used to the texture of soap, boyo, because you're not going to want to drop it where you're going!

Now then, the final battle awaits. But I need a little time. From what Blue told me of his most hated brother's team, I have the right crew to get the job done, but they'll need a little more training yet.

The team - SliceNDice the Scizor, Kelpie the Lapras, Sniper the Kingdra.

~ King Smorgascake, October 1999

Users who are viewing this thread