• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Nuzlocke Nuzlocke pokemon species cliches

PageEmperor

I can’t do money puns. It just won’t make cents.
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
A person who does both comics and runs and whatnot. Okay then.
When reading documented runs, what are some notable Pokemon personality stereotypes you guys have noticed? For me...

- The ‘jerk’ or ‘angsty’ Dark mon. I get it, because it is also known as the Evil type. However, it would be nice to see a more friendly Dark mon for a change.

- The relatively friendly Eevee. Although Umbreon is sometimes an exception because of the above mentioned. As for this cliche... I don’t really like it. I dunno, I just find it uninteresting and I do like to play against it. Such as in my documented run where my Espeon is some kind of evil sorcerer who plans to kill the trainer because reasons.

- Now for a change, here is a species cliche I actually like: The Psychic mon that acts like a real psychic, such as like foreshadowing plot events and stuff. Personally, I find it to be fun to experiment with the characters and the story, whether it be in my runs or reading other people’s

So what species cliches/stereotypes do you often see in documented runs and do you like or not like them?

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
- Now for a change, here is a species cliche I actually like: The Psychic mon that acts like a real psychic, such as like foreshadowing plot events and stuff. Personally, I find it to be fun to experiment with the characters and the story, whether it be in my runs or reading other people’s
I have a character like that planned for my Omega Ruby nuzlocke, except that she's a Fairy-type. There's also a couple of Psychic-types in that nuzlocke that have psychic abilities that aren't just used in battle, but it's the fairy that really stands out to me.

Arondon

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 15, 2020
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
All but most to least prevalent types:Male,Gender-neutral,Female
Pokémon Type
Fighting, Psychic
first death dies in a wild battle

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
The bug that everybody underestimates that goes on to be a badass. I was privileged enough to catch one myself in my Omega Ruby navlocke, and I am very much looking forward to when I get to tell her story.

Tsugumi Hazawa

Ordinary but Hardworking
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Haneoka High School (IRL: Makassar, Indonesia)
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
Character: She/Her, IRL: He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal
The underrated Pokemon that wants to show to it's trainer what it can truly be capable of. It's always a precious moment.

And also the Psuedo-legendary who is the ace of the nuzlocker and their team... Just because they can, and for the awesome moment.

Neotornado

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
I need to buy a pro account? (He/Him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
For that bug one I tend to give double points if its Butterfree in particular (probably inspired by Petty's, though Rooke's is also a pretty good example)

One odd one I feel like I've seen a fair bit is Togepi being a miniature "coming of age" story by itself. Whether or not the Togetic is an angsty teen or a friendly teen is up to the 'locke but I've almost never seen a Togepi that wasn't a team babby to some degree.

Ardomew

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
The Violet Wizard. Passionate about art, food, and games.
The extroverted, outgoing starter partnered with an introverted trainer.
Early normal type that is cheerful and full of energy.
Nidoqueen/Nidoking becoming the ace/reliable member of the team.
The cute, mute team member.
Poison/Ghost/Dark types tending to be the token jerk/evil team member.
At least one LGBT+ member on the team.
A replacement team member that needs to prove their worth/live up to their predecessor's legacy(my Walrein comes to mind here).

fractale

The Fan Favorute
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying
Pokédex Entry
this master of winged beasts knows almost everything about flying type pokemons that is known by the man. His rage is dangerous to others around him
HM slaves of Gen1-6 which is the happy-go-lucky guys, because they dont battle most of the time

The Pyromaniac fire types

The Human looking pokemons which mostly are the Genders they look like. like female ralts and male machops. of couse there are expectations like male kirlias which probably will evolve to gallade, and the female machop in Gen 2

Dschubba

Has forgotten she's a diurnal creature.
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Female
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
Hmm, it's not really a stereotype specific to one pokémon species, but I found that the doomed pokémon couple is a big one. So much that any mons being sweet on each other reads like a big fat death flag to me.

Another one being that a mon of a species that cost the party a member will often be seen with suspicion and have to prove themselves. ...Though depending on the circumstances, that one can be fair if done well.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
-The starter is the team leader/ace Pokemon. I mean, that's how it often happens in the games since Starters tend to have better stats and movepools than a lot of random catches (or at least compared to the same typing).

-The starter has the plot centralized around them for some reason or another. Like they're on a quest the trainer is helping them with or they have some sort of condition that drives the plot or the starter is some sort of mac guffin in their own right or whatever else.

-In trainerless runs the starter is the protagonist.

-If the starter dies it's played up as the saddest death of the run. Nobody else's death can be sadder. Nobody.

-The early route bird (Tailow, Pidgey, Starly) is often scrappy, fiesty, aggressive, and/or fiery in behavior. Also very high chance of being a star member of the team. Oddly, Hoothoot often seems to be exempt from this in my experience.

-If the trainer has an early route rodent (Ratatta, Sentret, etc.) or bug (Beedrill, Beutifly, etc.) people may make comments to the protag about how nobody uses those for seriousness at higher levels and suggest, explicitly or implicitly, they replace it with something stronger. The protag will usually use them regardless and usually take them all the way to the League. Seems to go double for Furret and Butterfree.

-If the protag has an Eevee then there'll always be a big deal made about what to evolve it into, whether in the -locke itself or in the comments.

Tsugumi Hazawa

Ordinary but Hardworking
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Haneoka High School (IRL: Makassar, Indonesia)
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
Character: She/Her, IRL: He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal
Not that I can specify anything here as another post here, but...
The early-game Pokemon that sometimes can be a crutch character (can't catch up with the others, most likely true with the early bugs or BW's elemental monkeys.), or a character that is actually not so important until later.

The Man of Many Names

Formerly of the 4000+ Posts Club.
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 13, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Water, Steel
Pokédex Entry
With the pokedex number of 493, this Pokemon is essentially Arceus and fully intends to let the power get to his head.
Steel types are almost always robots.
I don't mind this trope because I love Steel types and I love robots, but the similarities between certain robotic Pokemon across the forums may lead people to tire of it.

Mr Spaz

I caught the big– OH SHIT
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him/It
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying, Ghost
Steel types are almost always robots.
I don't mind this trope because I love Steel types and I love robots, but the similarities between certain robotic Pokemon across the forums may lead people to tire of it.
Add Porygon and its evos to this cliche

TerryTheTeryx

Gen Z Degenerate
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Rock
Pokédex Entry
A bizarre Pokémon who dislikes many social activities. She appears to have a penchant for peanut butter and learning foreign languages.
Everyone's already said that the early-route birds tend to be the fierce and brave type and then more often than not go off to die in a random battle.

How about wildly conflicting characters? Either the starter/protagonist is very outgoing while their deuteragonist(s) tend(s) to be introverted, or vice versa.

Edit:

The cute, mute team member.
I feel attacked.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Oddly enough, in one of my nuzlockes (not saying which game, but it's not Let's Go Eevee), the early-route bird is the only member of my original team that HASN'T died yet.

I still have postgame to do for that run, so I'm hoping it stays that way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)