• The Writer's Locke has released it's final episode! Come celebrate a fantastic project with it's last hoo-rah.
  • The Hidden Gems Showcase (2022) is now closed. Thank you all who turned out this year! You can find all the cool content that got featured here. I hope you find a new gem to read!
  • Check out the Nuzlocke Forums Fundraiser 2022 to see how you can help support the forums, earn new badges, and more! Goal: $1201/$1500
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Announcement Nuzlocke Forums Fall Fundraiser 2022

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
Check out this year's fundraiser event!

SnakeWrangler

Sorceress's Knight
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Poison
2022 Fundraiser Goal: $1201/$1500

Hello everyone! As the summer heat (blessedly) winds down and the Hidden Gems showcase gives us plenty to enjoy, we figure it's a good time to get some big forum happenings underway!

As you know, since our move to XenForo we've been able to enjoy a ton of neat features we weren't able to on Zetaboards or Tapatalk - plus we own the forums ourselves, meaning we're not under threat of another buyout or the like. As such, in turn, we rely on user donations to keep the lights on. Ever since our fundraiser that heralded the XenForo move, we've been running off the incredible set of donations that came with the stream and soon after. Now the time has come to ask for donations once again.

In the interest of transparency, here is a breakdown of our costs and upkeep courtesy of @Fullmental :

Howdy all! FM here on behalf of the tech team. It's now been more than three years since we grew up and moved out of Tapatalk's house onto our own! For those of you who have been with us since before the migration, thank you for being a part of our community for so long! For those of you who may have joined since, thank you for registering and keeping the community relevant as the forum approaches its angsty teen years.

That's right, next April will mark the 13th year since the release of the original nuzlocke comic! It's crazy to think how far we've come from the chaos of the early nuz forums, but somehow we've survived through it all. Not even the demise of Zetaboards could stop us! It's thanks to all you lovely folks that we've been able to comfortably self-host the site since 2019, and I can't even begin to express how much that means to both myself and the rest of the team.

That said, it's time to have a difficult discussion...While we raised an incredible amount of money to keep the site going three years ago, that money is set to run out within 6-8 months. But that's not all - we are also potentially facing the first major increase in our hosting costs.

For full transparency, we are currently on a self-managed VPS server. Since moving away from our first provider, Hostwinds, in 2020 for cost and customer service reasons, we've managed to keep to a tiny 2 CPU core, 4GB RAM server that costs us a measly $25 a month to run and keep backed up. This is in addition to our licensing costs for Xenforo, premium third party add-ons that add additional features to the site, and running costs for our email service. We also utilize a test server which costs an additional $25 a month when in use (about 4-6 months out of the year). All in all, it costs around $600 USD per year to keep the site running, for now. We've managed to keep this relatively low by avoiding a ton of quality of life features on the administrative side, minimizing the use of third party Xenforo addons that require recurring license fees, and by keeping the site's footprint as small as possible with performance tuning over the years.

The little server that could has kept chugging along into 2022, despite handling a relatively large 800,000+ post database on a PHP heavy application. As we've continued to grow and add features though, this small chunk of RAM that wouldn't even cut it for an office PC these days is quickly becoming a concern. As it is, the most recent maintenance update introduced newer versions of a lot of our back-end services, which each come with higher memory costs. We briefly thought we simply couldn't upgrade without changing our server plan, but some additional tweaks have kept things barely under control. While we *think* this will be OK for normal usage, it's on the razor's edge between stable and unstable now. We expect to cross into unstable territory within the next few months to a year.

When, not if, the time comes to upgrade, the cost of hosting the site is likely to increase by 50-100%. How much it will actually cost depends on a few factors that have yet to be fully determined, but we are expecting costs to increase by $200 a year at minimum.

This, coupled with our dwindling reserves, means it's time to launch another fundraiser! Our goal is to raise at least enough money to support the site for another 2 years at minimum. Keeping in mind our expected cost increases, we've decided to set the total fundraising goal to $1500.

Now, onto the meat of the fundraiser...

The Nuzlocke Forums is sustained by our generous users, whom, in the past, have received special distinction in the form of a Nuzlocke Gold/Donator usergroup.

At the beginning of the fundraiser, the current Donator usergroup will be wiped clean. Going forward, instead, donators will earn a shiny new Donator Badge and username color!

Donations can be made with the PayPal Donate button on the main page. When you donate, if we don't get to your badge in the next day or so, please reach out to us through an upcoming donator form or forum messages with proof of your donation so we can get it to you! (And of course the badge and displaying it is completely optional).

Another important note and disclaimer: We will never charge for any features on this forum. Donation rewards are purely cosmetic (but you do also receive our undying love and gratitude)! This forum means an indescribable amount to me, so I'll be doing my part and pitching in beyond organizing a fundraiser.

Finally, to bring it all together, I'm very happy to announce the Nuzlocke Pioneer event! Come join for a celebration of the Nuzlocke community and spirit!

We're all familiar with Nuzlockes - the challenge, the triumphs, the gut-wrenching losses, the last-HP-pixel saves, everything. Of course, they focus primarily on Pokemon games, but no small part of the fun comes from applying the spirit of the rules to other games, with special badges as rewards for participation!

This event focuses on that Nuzlocke spirit and how it can be applied elsewhere. It will come in two parts, held over the course of a month or so.

Part 1: Rule Creation
Flex your creativity and come up with a Nuzlocke ruleset for a game outside of the mainline Pokemon games! Essentially, anything that would fall under the jurisdiction of the Creative Content forum. Run wild! Though keep in mind, your custom ruleset should ultimately be reasonably possible. These should be exciting and accessible challenges!

Creating a ruleset and posting it to the thread will earn you a Nuzlocke Pioneer (2022) badge!

There will be a thread open for submissions on September 28.

Thread is here!

Monster Hunter Weaponlocke

Game(s): Any of the Monster Hunter Series main games

Challenge details: Monster Hunter, but if you cart while using a weapon, you can't use that weapon type the rest of the challenge! You may complete the hunt after carting, but must retire the weapon the rest of the challenge. Do you use your best weapon from the start? Or do you use something you're less good at and "save" your mains for later? Item limits or other limits optional!

Challenge completion: Finishing the Hub Quest Low + High rank "questline." G/Master rank possible depending on the game.

Part 2: Rule Application
You flexed your creativity, now it's time to flex your skill! Choose someone else's ruleset and game of choice, and get to Nuzlocking! That's right, this event is about playing others' rulesets! Of course, nothing is stopping you from playing your own, but for the badge in this part we're looking for those who worked with others to create a Nuzlocke experience of their own.

For this portion of the event, you'll post your run in Creative Content and treat it like any other run. All mediums are welcome - comics, screenshots, stories, written logs, videos, anything! Upon completion, please submit proof of completion to a submission form we'll create, or a member of the mod team in case that fails, so you can earn your Nuzlocke Trailblazer (2022) badge!

This phase of the event will begin October 5. Post your threads where applicable and let us know when the run is completed!

All in all, you will be able to post rulesets and play runs through November 5.

Posting a ruleset in Part 1 will earn you a badge, even if no one selects your to play it. Additionally, participation in BOTH parts is not necessary - You may participate in either Part 1 or Part 2 without the other (and of course doing both is absolutely welcome too)!

And for those who miss out on participation and miss out on the badges, fret not - we've plenty more to introduce and give out for all sorts of activity on this forum; keep your eyes peeled!

Above all we want to extend a heartfelt thanks from all of us on the Mod and Admin team. Without all of you and your love of Nuzlockes, we would not even have a forum to keep up.

Last edited:

Rubombee

Moth · the ace that stays up the sleeve
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
they/them, shey/ther
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
i'm sorry i lied i do eat baguette sometimes
ooooooooo 👀 y'all should put a banner notice about this at the top of the site!

Tiefling_Beret

i have become one with gorb
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 13, 2022
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He, Him, His, They, Them, Their
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon found recently in the Sinnoh region. Claiming it wanted to be a Psychic type, it went on a rampage, almost razing Iron Island.
Time to return to the Nuzlocking Scene! Since it's for charity, I doubt I'll be able to get away with putting it on eternal hiatus and vanishing back into obscurity. Since I basically only play either Pokemon, Zelda, or Smash I might try a World of Light Ultimate Nuzlocke? Only time will tell (Being the next 2 days).

Bernag

Cybernetic lurker at your service
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Nature
Bashful
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Fighting
Flex your creativity and come up with a Nuzlocke ruleset for a game outside of the mainline Pokemon games
I'm aware I'm gonna sound a bit dumb but
Does this mean we have to pick only non pokemon games. Or are fan games/hacks allowed?
Also do the games have to be fully completed to be allowed as a choice or not? Asking due to some fan games having a ton of content but stop at a certain gym due to not being fully out but later getting the entire full game out (like being in beta or something alike)

OP
SnakeWrangler

SnakeWrangler

Sorceress's Knight
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Poison
I'm aware I'm gonna sound a bit dumb but
Does this mean we have to pick only non pokemon games. Or are fan games/hacks allowed?
Also do the games have to be fully completed to be allowed as a choice or not? Asking due to some fan games having a ton of content but stop at a certain gym due to not being fully out but later getting the entire full game out (like being in beta or something alike)
Tentatively I will say that if it plays like a mainline Pokemon game, even if it's a hack, it's not quite in the spirit

However if it's a fangame of anything else or even unfinished that's totally fine

Bernag

Cybernetic lurker at your service
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Nature
Bashful
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Fighting
Tentatively I will say that if it plays like a mainline Pokemon game, even if it's a hack, it's not quite in the spirit

However if it's a fangame of anything else or even unfinished that's totally fine
So for example not volt white or storm silver because it's just like the main stream but harder and with extra life qualities

But yes to stuff like pokemon Gaia or Glazed which have their own story that are GBA hacks

Rubombee

Moth · the ace that stays up the sleeve
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
they/them, shey/ther
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
i'm sorry i lied i do eat baguette sometimes
So for example not volt white or storm silver because it's just like the main stream but harder and with extra life qualities

But yes to stuff like pokemon Gaia or Glazed which have their own story that are GBA hacks
no i feel like he meant if it's literally pokémon gameplay it kinda feels like a loophole because it's just a regular nuz but of a hack instead. like, the "mainline pokémon" part wasn't about the story, it was about the gameplay?

Tiefling_Beret

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 13, 2022
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon found recently in the Sinnoh region. Claiming it wanted to be a Psychic type, it went on a rampage, almost razing Iron Island.
Sept 28 Thread where? >.>

Tiefling_Beret

Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 13, 2022
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Flex your creativity and come up with a Nuzlocke ruleset for a game outside of the mainline Pokemon games!
Would a Pokemon Showdown Nuzlocke count?

OP
SnakeWrangler

SnakeWrangler

Sorceress's Knight
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 15, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Poison
Questions should be more or less answered in Part 1 thread!

Also, as the fundraiser has now officially started, I'll update the OP with a donation tracker that I update when I can! Please have mercy on me.

Users who are viewing this thread