• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

General  Nuzlocke Community Top 50 - 2020 Edition!

Thread Description
pokemon go to the polls

Master Bryss

zd zd
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Poison, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Their body is made of an intricate and interconnected weave of their own puns.
Here we go:

#1: 10 points: Dunsparce
#2: 9 points: Falinks
#3: 8 points: Crobat
#4: 7 points: Scolipede
#5: 6 points: Centiskorch
#6: 5 points: Misdreavus
#7: 4 points: Dhelmise
#8: 3 points: Probopass
#9: 2 points: Charjabug
#10: 1 point: Munna

Squiggy Azalea

big chungus pls DM me 😳
🎇Contributor
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 20, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Electric, Tough
Pokédex Entry
pizza pasta mamma mia
#1: 10 points: Victini
#2: 9 points: Turtwig
#3: 8 points: Hitmontop
#4: 7 points: Dunsparce
#5: 6 points: Porygon2
#6: 5 points: Appletun
#7: 4 points: Zapdos
#8: 3 points: Buzzwole
#9: 2 points: Sudowoodo
#10: 1 point: Ludicolo

Last edited:

Dschubba

Has forgotten she's a diurnal creature.
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Female
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
#1: 10 points to Scizor
#2: 9 points to Metagross
#3: 8 points to Golisopod
#4: 7 points to Mawile
#5: 6 points to Umbreon
#6: 5 points to Snom
#7: 4 points to Flapple
#8: 3 points to Naganadel
#9: 2 points to Typhlosion
#10: 1 point to Grimmsnarl

mewstein

Johto League Champion
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
#1: 10 points for Excadrill

#2: 9 points for Remoraid

#3: 8 points for Mewtwo

#4: 7 points for Heatran

#5: 6 points for Servine

#6: 5 points for Bewear

#7: 4 points for Sandaconda

#8: 3 points for Zamazenta

#9: 2 points for Relicanth

#10: 1 Point for Heatmor

And 10 points for Gryffindor!

Ardomew

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
The Violet Wizard. Passionate about art, food, and games.
Time to bring out my absolute favourite Pokémon again!
Lapras

My favourite Generation 1 Pokémon splashes onto Number 10! With an elegant design, and great stats and typing, it manages to find a way onto many of my teams. I'm always happy to bring this wonderful water type onto the battlefield!
Mudsdale

The exquisite equine trots into Number 9! With awesome stats and an ability tailored for taking major hits, and a moveset that allows for heavy damage in return, Mudsdale has never steered me wrong in a fight! It's big, bulky, and a sturdy companion throughout any Alolan adventure!
Roserade

This regal rose blooms into Number 8! Her elegant design and wonderful stats makes this Roselia evolution from Sinnoh an absolute wonder! Built for either sweeping with powerful hits, or setting up with tons of status moves, she's a reliable and resourceful companion for any Sinnohan skirmish!
Crobat

The quad-winged bat soars into Number 7! As my most frequently used Pokémon during the Nuzlocke challenge, Crobat has been a dependable fighter throughout my career! Ungodly speed, alongside great offensive stats and unique typing makes it shine on the battlefield! Any adventure with this bat on my team is sure to be a good one!
Golisopod

Wanna see what destruction looks like? Here it is in Number 6! Golisopod made a great First Impression on me during my first Alolan odyssey, and soon found its way onto my favourites list! Easily my favourite Bug type, it is built to deal massive amounts of damage with its powerful STAB attacks, before ducking out to give its allies an easy kill. I couldn't be happier to see the meek, little Wimpod transform into this massive, armoured assassin!
Giratina

Giratina sneaks out from the shadows into Number 5. This ancient, Sinnohan dragon first crossed my path after an expedition into Turnback Cave brought me into its domain! Then, it went on to thwart the plans of Team Galactic's Cyrus, dragging me and my team into the chaotic Distortion World. With excellent typing and stats, and an amazing alternate form to increase its offensive potential, Giratina proved itself to be a monster on the battlefield! Excellent lore, role in story, and battle performance makes this draconic specter my second favourite Legendary, even after all these years!
Ampharos

Ampharos lights the way onto Number 4! This electrifying sheep has always been a delight to use during my Johtonian journeys! Excellent offensive and defensive stats, amazing attack selections, and an awesome Mega Evolution have given this Pokémon so much useful potential! Plus, it's one of the cutest fully evolved Pokémon! Easily one of my favourite electric types!
Rayquaza

The Emerald Dragon God protects the Number 3 spot! My favourite Legendary of all time, Rayquaza has managed to capture my heart in ways that few Pokémon have been able to. Not only is it great in battle with its awesome stats and Mega Evolution, but its role in the franchise's lore and story is so great! As the guardian force of the planet's skies, the emerald serpent has quelled clashes between Groudon and Kyogre, saved the planet from catastrophic meteor showers, and fought against the extraterrestrial menace that is Deoxys time after time again! Its amazing battle prowess, and role in lore and story have cemented the Delta Dragon as my favourite Legendary, and third favourite Pokémon altogether!
Primarina

This sensational siren captivates the Number 2 spot! As my favourite starter Pokémon, Primarina means a heck of a lot to me. Her elegant design, versatile moveset that can give Starmie a run for its money, and wonderful stats as a special attacker/wall makes her a cute, but potent force on the battlefield! Her contributions to my Alolan adventures have only cemented how much I care about this amazing starter!
Toxtricity

The electrifying and toxic musician of Galar has claimed the top spot on my list! First impressions are incredibly important to me, and this rocking reptile certainly made one on me! After my baby Toxel evolved, he proceeded to shine in battle with amazing offenses, coupled with the unique and versatile typing of Electric/Poison and a sound boosting ability! Its design is also a wonderful blending of ideas, mixing a punk rocker together with a poisonous salamander and an electric guitar to create one of the most unique looking Pokémon of all time! Its stellar design, amazing use in battle, and wonderful impression it left on me during my Galarian adventure have propelled this rockin' Pokémon into the Number 1 spot!

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Ah, one of my favorite threads is back! I might have missed it, but is there a summary of all the previous years somewhere?

Anyway I'm still blinding pokemon Shield so my list might dramatically change in a few months, but here goes for 2019:

#10: 1 point - Pidgeot. I was always a lover of the early bird pokemon, and Pidgeot still has a special place in my heart for that. Mega Pidgeot is brilliant btw.
#9: 2 points - Alakazam. Psychic is my second favorite type, and it is mainly thanks to this mysterious and magical line which captivated my imagination as a young child. Man, Sabrina was scary!
#8: 3 points - Raichu. I was always the sort of person that wanted to show they are different (ignore my number 1 pick in that aspect) so when everyone loved that little yellow mouse, I preferred its much cooler evolution. Over time I just learned to appreciate it for what it is, I mean look at that tail.
#7: 4 points - Alolan Ninetales - Ninetales and Vulpix are both some of my favorite pokemon, and if the Alolan version wouldn't have existed it is very likely regular Ninetales would have been in this slot. But Alolan Ninetales is such a brilliant take on the classic, I had to choose it.
#6: 5 points - Centiskorch - The first Gen 8 addition to this list! Again, I don't know enough about Gen 8 currently, and I'm probably biased as I'm enjoying Shield so much, but man this Fire Bug is awesome! What a beautiful design (and pretty nice Gigantamax form).
#5: 6 points - Corviknight - And another Gen 8, as I mentioned with Pidgeot I love the early bird, and making it evolve into this amazing cross between Skarmory and Honchkrow really makes it special. Plus, I might be biased again because of my Corviknight Scarlet from my current BSN run.
#4: 7 points - Incineroar - Ah, the only pokemon that ever came close to replacing my favorite pokemon of all times. You were such a bro in my blind Sun run (Oh Scythe), your types are my first and third favorite and you are a cat. What' not to like? Though if only you weren't bipedal... Maybe you would have became my all times favorite. But perhaps you never stood a chance against the forces of nostalgia, as all the next mons show.
#3: 8 points - Umbreon. My favorite Eeveeloution (and man do I love them all), and the living representation of Johto, arguably my favorite region when it comes to style and lore.
#2: 9 points - Mewtwo. Blame the movie, the original one I mean (though you were also ok on Detective Pikachu I guess). I always had a special place in my heart for misunderstood villains, and I could really relate to you agenda and am at awe with your impressive powers.
#1: 10 points - Charmander. Yep, still my favorite. Will that ever chance? Who knows, but nostalgia is a strong force, plus that thing is adorable and evolves into one of my favorite pokemon (which I left out of this left this time), and will forever be my favorite starter of all times.

Last edited:

Alan900900900

Lurker extraordinaire
Globetrotter
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon is a master of having too many projects at the same time. Also, Pikablu.
#10 (1 point): Bisharp

A general theme of this list is gonna be "Pokemon I think look badass". This is such a case. Bisharp is literally covered in blades, I can't not like that. I've only gotten to use one like once, but when I did I absolutely loved it. The unique type combo comes in really handy, giving it two immunities and lots of resistances (albeit a crippling Fighting weakness). This mon solidly lands the 10th spot on my list.
#9 (2 points): Clawitzer

I've yet to use one of these, but can I just say how cool of an ability Mega Launcher is? It doesn't have that many moves affected by it, but it's still one hell of a rad concept. And, if you exclude Mega Blastoise, Clauncher and Clawitzer are the only Pokemon who get it. Besides, Clawitzer is based on one of the coolest animals I've heard of, the pistol shrimp, which actually snap their big claw hard enough to kill other fish at a distance. Looking forward to actually using one of these whenever I can.
#8 (3 points): Glaceon

Let me tell you a secret: I love ice types. My favorite type in the whole game, in fact. As such, I've loved Glaceon ever since I found out it existed. It's a real shame that I've never been able to use it, because Game Freak insists on putting the Ice Rock absurdly far into the game. I've heard the evolution method was made actually reasonable in gen 8, using the new Ice Stone, but I've yet to play any of those games, so I still haven't ever touched a Glaceon. It looks absolutely lovely and adorable, and I want one so much.
#7 (4 points): Wishiwashi

Wishiwashi just has a special place in my heart. For those not in the know, I've had an ongoing challenge where I attempt to beat Pokemon Moon using only a Solo form Wishiwashi (edited in PKHex to have Torrent instead of Schooling). We've made it up to Nanu so far, WashiTape and I, and as such I've really become attached to this little fish. He has the worst stats in the game, but we're working on making him and him alone the champ of the whole region.
#6 (5 points): Archeops

My absolute favorite fossil mon out of all of them, even including the Galar fossils (of which I really appreciate the concept). It's got amazing stats, and I remember cleaning house with it in an old Black (non-Nuzlocke) run. Defeatist is a shame, but I understand the balancing reasons behind it. At least it's not the worst ability ever. Anyway, Archeopteryx Good.
#5 (6 points): Pangoro

This here's been my favorite Gen 6 Pokemon ever since I laid eyes on it. It just... looks so badass. I love the Fighting/Dark type combo (I also love Scrafty, although it's not in this list), and I like how the evolution method is obscure, but not so much that you would never find it out without a guide, but possibly my favorite part about it is the characterization its Pokedex entries give it. A rowdy fighter who, despite his violent temperament, won't hesitate to protect those weaker than him.
#4 (7 points): Abomasnow

My second favorite Ice type (foreshadowing!). Despite its 4x weakness to Fire, not helped by both its typings being rather weak defensively, I still love this big guy. Snow Warning, while perhaps not as useful as other weather-setting ablilities, is still a neat little thing he has (mostly) for himself. He was also the one and only ice type Mega Evolution until Glalie got one in ORAS, and for that I appreciate it (and Glalie too, I just didn't have room for it in this list). I haven't had the chance to use one yet, but hopefully I can do so sooner rather than later.
#3 (8 points): Garbodor

If you weren't there during Gen 5's release, you couldn't possibly understand the amount of hate this poor guy got. He's just a nice little garbage man! He didn't deserve everyone he had against him for being... basically the same concept as Muk (but better, in my own humble opinion). People have mellowed out to him over time, thankfully, but I'm still in "ride-or-die" mode with him. And as I've heard, he now has a Gigantamax form too (the only non-gen 1 or 8 mon to get one, by the way!). I'm proud of how far he's come, really.
#2 (9 points): Genesect

God I wish they'd given Genesect an actual place in the story of BW (or BW2, either works). It's by far my favorite legendary/mythical, both in design and in concept. A prehistoric Pokemon mechanically enhanced by Team Plasma of all people! That would surely be an interesting turn of events. Even an event not unlike the one Victini had would have sufficed for my tastes, but they just had to make it a regular mythical with no ingame relevance. It's signature move, Techno Blast, is great as well. Shame I probably will never get to use it in a game.
#1 (10 points): Alolan Sandslash

And finally we come to my all time favorite. I already like regular Sandslash, I love the Ice type, and I love the concept of regional forms, so it only stands to reason that Alolan Sandslash would be my current favorite. Like most the mons in my list, I haven't used it yet, but it's got a killer design, unique typing, and is two of my favorite types. Looking forward to actually being able to use it at some point!

Neotornado

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
I need to buy a pro account? (He/Him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
Not gonna do the pokemon shuffle thing again because gen 8
#10 - Bastiodon (#9 on the 2018 list)
#9 - Raboot (Newcomer)
#8 - Delcatty (honorable mention)
#7 - Drifloon
#6 - Heatran (#4)
#5 - Furfrou (#6)
#4 - Charjabug (#5)
#3 - Leafeon
#2 - Diggersby
#1 - Rotom
The only things I should note is that the galar dex kinda did a short-circut on a few of my favorites and I've kinda staled on a few mons I haven't used in a while. Raboot's probably my favorite design of gen 8, and Delcatty making the top 10 is mostly due to a black 2 run where, yet again, he somehow made it through the entire run without dying. Everything else has been on my top lists before in some capacity.[/SPOILER]

Jackdaw991

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
It's funny that while doing the research and planning to make my list, that tons of my faves went down the list. But here's my fair share.

Mudkip: My first ever pokemon. I picked up Emerald not long after getting a gameboy. I looked at the game, and could pick Treecko (I thought at the time it looked dumb, still probably my least fave of the three), Torchic (having no idea about Blaziken, I thought it was "girly" and associated it with May, and while I like May, no) and Mudkip. I easilly picked Mudkip and beat the game with a level 70 Swampert. I beat a game with my first proper team, with a Swampert as my starter. Although I love Swampert, Mudkip is cuter, and what I associate with all my pokemon memories. It's the start of it all.

Coalossal: After seeing my friend had this on her team, I (9 or so hours behind her) played the game knowing I wanted this. Fire/Rock, Tar shot (used a few times). Minnie (my Coalossal) was my go to alongside another pokemon on this list. Genuinlly used this so much towards the end of the main game. Defo recommend picking up Rolycoly. Worth it.

Hattrem: From being a dumb looking pokemon, to me training it and coming to love it. Nothing more than that. Out of it's three in the line, this is the cutest. Shame the whole line couldn't be part fairy, might have pushed this up on this list.

Mudsdale: Alongside Number 5, this pokemon was named after a friend. In the same playthrough. Mudsdale proved to be a amazing pokemon, Rock, Steel, Ground and Fighting type isn't the best coverage, but it smashed up opponents and proved to be one of my better team members.

Popplio: Story time. I didn't know when you pre-order a game, that the money goes out ON THE DAY OF RELEASE! Needless to say, I ordered it, spent money and didn't get the game on release. As I realised this while talking to a mate, he decided to buy the game, and with the day off the next day, I went to his, and browsed the dex to make a team for the first playthrough. I'd been dead set Rowlet, but after finding out it didn't stay grass/flying, at the time, I didn't like that, and so picked Popplio. I now associate Popplio with memories of my friend.

Alolan Raichu: I tend to try and mix it up in playthroughs of the same game. Yet, in 3 consecutive games of Gen 7, I used Alolan Raichu. Specifically a female named Kayla. A tough time in my life made me play Sun with a team of 7 named after my friends in a group chat who had helped me at a tough time. Kayla would be the lasting memory of that run. I kinda always preferred Raichu to Pikachu anyway, so giving it my favourite type, make it a more appealing shade of brown, and make it surf it's tail...then it makes my top 5.

Dracovish:
Me on finding out about the fossils: That's ugly and stupid.
Me after watching a Johnstone video of it wrecking house: I love it
Me now: It's stupid, ugly but oh so cute. I love it.

Conkeldurr: I don't even really know why. I just think it's a decent mon, that I recall using in a Wonderlocke of Y back in the day. It helps that it comes from my favourite Generation as well.

Slurpuff: I did a proper playthrough of Pokemon X back a few years ago, when I wanted to give Gen 6 a proper go. Turns out, Slurpuff are really good. As a Swirlix, it helped me beat Korrina, and after evolving became arguably my main go to, over a Greninja, Charizard AND Lucario. It was my favourite for like 2 years till my number 1 showed up, which really shows a lot for me. I even bought a card of a website, just cause Slurpuff was my favourite.

Cufant: I saw this in the opening of the game, and had to have it on my team. I originally started with Scorbunny but swapped to a different playthrough as the friend who bought the game for me and another friend said she wanted us to play at the same time. I never forgot my "hat" elephant as I called it (I didn't know the name). Turned out that Copperajah was amazing, and I picked it up due to a cute little elephant named Cufant.

Honey Badger

Member Title
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
#1: Houndoom (10 points)
#2: Linoone-Galar (9 points)
#3: Skarmory (8 points)
#4: Reuniclus (7 points)
#5: Eelektross (6 points)
#6: Scrafty (5 points)
#7: Steelix (4 points)
#8: Torterra (3 points)
#9: Volcarona (2 points)
#10: Dragalge (1 point)

sunburstblue

blue stars burn brighter
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Water
Pokédex Entry
Well, her Pokédex No. is #274, which is Nuzleaf. Could anything be more hilariously fitting for this forum?
#1: 10 points for Shinx
#2: 9 points for Sneasel
#3: 8 points for Charizard
#4: 7 points for Grovyle
#5: 6 points for Froslass
#6: 5 points for Vaporeon
#7: 4 points for Buizel
#8: 3 points for Fomantis
#9: 2 points for Roserade
#10: 1 point for Toxel

Zorua3

On-and-off Nuzlocker
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Dark
Pokédex Entry
I'd copy-paste the Zorua Pokedex entry, but I'm too lazy.
#1, 10 points: Zorua. Cute design, unique ability, awesome powers (power of illusion is one of my favorite superhero-type powers!), and nostalgia.
#2: Honchkrow. It's a mob boss crow. What's not to love? Also, it's a sleeper beast on my competitive teams and its shiny is GLORIOUS.
#3: Groudon. Gen 3 was my first gen so there's nostalgia going there. Also, Ground is my second favorite type and this guy is literally the god of the ground. And he's a Godzilla monster!
#4: Vaporeon. Best Eeveelution.
#5: Scolipede. It's a gigantic, awesome centipede who is poisonous AND is a earlygame Bug type that doesn't suck- in fact, with Speed Boost and Baton Pass, it's probably the most competitively viable out of all of them.
#6: Zoroark. See Zorua, minus the cuteness but with even cooler powers.
#7: Sceptile. My OG starter. Love his design.
#8: Yveltal. It's the goddamn god of death and it manages to make the weird combination of "bird with strange flattened-out human arms" look actually intimidating.
#9: Nidoking. As this list has shown, I'm a sucker for tough-looking dinosaur-like things (even if this one has a fair bit of bunny involved). And like Honchkrow, it's an underrated comp mon I like to use, preferably with a special set because Sheer Force Life Orb brings the pain combined with the absurd amount of type coverage it gets.
#10, 1 point: Chandelure. This one rides mostly on the comp aspect, combined with the fact that its lore is stupidly dark and the design, while a weird concept, is really good in execution.

LemonTea

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 26, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
#10 (1 point) Arcanine
#9 (2 points) (Mega) Banette
#8 (3 points) Ninetales
#7 (4 points) Lilligant
#6 (5 points) Drampa
#5 (6 points) Scolipede
#4 (7 points) Breloom
#3 (8 points) Flygon
#2 (9 points) Dewott
#1 (10 points) Swampert

The Man of Many Names

Formerly of the 4000+ Posts Club.
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 13, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Water, Steel
Pokédex Entry
With the pokedex number of 493, this Pokemon is essentially Arceus and fully intends to let the power get to his head.
#1: 10 points - Scizor
#2: 9 points - Gengar
#3: 8 points - Yveltal
#4: 7 points - Blastoise
#5: 6 points - Empoleon
#6: 5 points - Phanpy
#7: 4 points - Heracross
#8: 3 points - Mightyena
#9: 2 points - Camerupt
#10: 1 point - Copperajah

MarkedInStone

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Over Mt. Silver and down in the Valley Windworks
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This POKéMON is struggling to figure out what interesting stuff he can put into his Pokédex entry.
#10: Maractus (1 pt)
#9: Jangmo-o (2 pts)
#8: Emolga (3 pts)
#7: Toxtricity (4 pts)
#6: Dartrix (5 pts)
#5: Indeedee-F(6 pts)
#4: Ribombee (7 pts)
#3: Typhlosion (8 pts)
#2: Goodra (9 pts)
#1: Scolipede (10 pts)

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
So, in this post, I am counting down from #10 to #1. Maybe worth noting that I pick my favorites largely by aesthetics. You'd probably need to do a top 100 before I hit the point where things were getting higher rated than others for battling prowress. Also maybe worth noting that a lot of these picks and pretty much everything unlisted that'd be #11-20 or 25 are pretty darn close and could easily change depending on my mood. The top spots are pretty ironclad at least!

#10 - Lugia (1 Point) This year's last place goes to the only non-canine/feline on the list. Maybe it's a bit of the nostalgia of having gone for Silver version over Gold as a kid, but maybe not since I chose Blue version and my first ever Pokemon was Charmander and neither it nor Squirtle are contenders. I can't fully articulate why I like Lugia. It's a draconic bird, and dragons are cool and wyverns are kinda cool, but I tend to like both more than birds. Maybe it's the fact that it looks like it could be gentle and snuggly if it wanted or deadly fierce and murderous instead?

#9 - Houndoom This canine has definitely seen a drop this year, although not so much as a lot of the eeveeutions have for me. The thing's a hellhound doberman, which is cool. It's also Fire/Dark, which are two of my favorite types (the third being Electric). It has a cool design, it spits fire, and it's totally not evil. Like, seriously, if you look at the dex entries its actually pretty misunderstood despite its full capability of being fierce!

#8 - Suicune Is it a cat, a dog, or a gerbil? That is one of Pokemon's greatest mysteries to date and everyone will argue for days over what it is. Suicune still is majestic, elegant, and just has a click design without taking it too far. Besides, wherever it goes it brings its own wind to billow out its mane and streamers allowing it to get that "badass billowing cape effect" wherever it wants whenever it wants!

#7 - Raikou Beating Suicune only because it won a coin toss, Raikou is a friggin' sabertoothed tiger. And I dunno about you, but friggin' sabertoothed tigers are friggin' cool. Plus it can zap zap whatever the heck it feels like and go and casually outrun some lightning. I'll admit though some of Raikou's older sprites and stuff looked kinda weird (hi Gen II Raikou!) but it made the transition to 3D amazingly well! Shame it's not been in Smash anymore like Suicune is.

#6 - Lycanroc Midday/Dusk They're wolves. Wolves are cool. If you don't like wolves then you need to rethink your priorities in life. Having both a good amount of badass and floof, these two are just pretty awesome. Plus how wild they behave in Pokemon Refresh is pretty neat too! It's a shame that their stats are kinda "early route mon" tier though, even though I brought both forms to the Championship in Sun and Ultra Sun, respectively. I also like Midnight as well, but it does try a little too hard to be edgy, IMO. It works a lot better in artwork or anthropomorphized though.

I pair these together since, based on the rules, it appears a vote for any Lycanroc counts for Lycanroc in general. If they count as separate mons, put Midday at 6, Dusk at 7, Raikou 8, Suicune 9, and Houndoom 10 please!

#5 - Alolan Ninetales Ice kitsune. Do I need to say more? Okay, fine. Cold, whispy fur and an aura of elegance. It also behaves a lot friendlier and less aloof than the base form in-game and, not to mention, animates oh so nicely. Or at least it does in Sword/Shield since it's a living framerate nuke on the 3DS. It's just a really pretty mon. And also kinda cheats its way onto the list, as you'll find out.

#4 - Mega-Absol I friggin' adore Mega-Absol's design and I absolutely hate that we might not ever get to see it in a new game again. Regular Absol is great too although it falls short of the top 10. But seriously, those floof wings are a nice touch to give it almost an angelic appearance to really highlight how misunderstood it is in the game's lore. Add a touch of some wicked sharp claws, horns, and even a tail and it's just a great design all around. Also, neat fact: Gen VI Mega-Absol stands confident and poised while in Gen VII it crouches in a much more aggressive stance.

#3 - Umbreon Now we come to the top spots that have remained pretty consistent for years. Now, I do love all the eeveelutions. Great, nifty designs all around. But alas, this is the first year most of them fell short of the top 10 to only leave me with a single eeveelution. Umbreon has a sleek, simple, but super-effective design. The glowing eclipse rings are just pretty nifty and allow for some neat designs and artwork with darkness and everything. There's also something to be said about its demeanor that just screams that it's too cool to really care or be scared or intimidated or anything. It'll just wordlessly shrug you off.

#2 - OG Ninetales Fire kitsune. Do I need to say more? Okay, fine. This is why Alolan Ninetales cheats: it wouldn't exist if this Ninetales didn't exist! As much as I like the cold, wispy look of the Ice-type the fiery fox's golden, sleek fur and red eyes just kinda win out by quite a bit. Ninetales is prim, proper, and moves with grace with everything it does all the while making your 3DS cry for mercy. This Pokemon, for the longest time, was my number 1 pick until a few years ago. Plus, in games like Blue and Silver I hate picking a Fire-starter because it means I either have to ditch my starter or not use Ninetales in the name of type balance, which sucks. :/

#1 - Arcanine (10 Points) There are two kinds of people in this world: those who think Arcanine is the best Pokemon and those who are wrong. Jokes aside, this was probably the obvious pick with my avatars here, on Discord, and elsewhere. Arcanine is just a big, fluffy, fire dog that can either be super snuggly or all too eager to burn and rend someone. Actually though, fun fact, Arcanine isn't fully dog! It's based on either the shisa, haetae, or koimanu (might have misspelled those) who are mythical "lion dogs"! Plus those tiger-stripes really don't help matters! Seriously though, Arcanine is just friggin' awesome. It also has among the highest base stat totals in the game that isn't legendary, pseudo-legendary, or Mega-evolution! Also, like Ninetales, Arcanine makes me hate using Fire-starters.

Also, gonna put this out here, but Kabu is a man of class. Any Fire-type Gym Leader that uses both Arcanine and Ninetales is worthy of my respect!

Galar Honorable Mentions - Sadly, little from Sword and Shield really catch my eye design-wise. There's some neat stuff, but this is the second gen where a lot of things were kinda "that's neat but not amazing" for me. (Hoenn was the first although a number of its mons finally grew on me after a few years). Still though, going to call out Zacian and Zamazenta because, again, if you don't like wolves then you need to rethink your priorities. I like Zacian quite a bit more since I like the blue color and Crowned adornments more than Zamazenta's. I'll also call out Galar Rapidash. It's so, so My Little Pony it hurts but, I dunno, I just really like the design.

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
Time for another Top 50 thread! And another year of repping the Best Boys. I’ll be moving from the bottom of my list to the top, and sharing my fave TCG art for each.

#10 — Wobuffet
As I was working on my list, this one caught me by surprise how much it hung on. After a year of Nuzlocke, this little guy was such a surprising asset. I’ve grown oddly attached to this Pokémon, and I just hope I never have to see one that isn’t my own again, please and thanks.​
#9 — Appletun
I’m surprised that a whole new Pokémon wormed it’s way into my ten this year, but wow is Appletun great. From it’s Friendly and Quirky design to just how much personality the 3D in this game lent it, and even to how I used it I fell in love. Really, recycle Appletun carried my ass through Raihan where I thought other Pokémon would, and just consistently came in clutch the whole time after. No cards for this one yet. ):​
#8 — Shuckle
I go nuts for Shuckle, and it only falls so low on my list because of how nuts I am for everything on this list... and maybe because I’m bitter at my own lack of a shuckle merch. I absolutely need a shuckle plushie, yes I am using my money smartly. This is also one of the only two bug types on my list! I know, shocking.​
#7 — Obstagoon
Zigzagoon has been one of my favorites since I first got my own sapphire cartridge. I was SO fucking stoked when the Galarian forms announcement dropped and my baby got a whole other evolution. This line was a staple on my team for my whole play through, and obstruct was such a boon to me when I finally got Obstagoon. Thank you Gamefreak.​
#6 — Bronzong
So I was really spoiled with SwSh. A lot of my faves made it in, despite what I understand to be weird tastes. I couldn’t really tell you what makes me love this one so much, which placed it squarely in the back half of my 10. But it is the strongest reason I state steel as my second favorite type, and I would absolutely kill a man for good merch. Now you know my price.​
#5 — Avalugg
Hot take: Bergmite should have been bug/ice. I don’t take criticism. This Pokémon earned its place in my heart properly during my short stint playing draft league with its surprising chunkiness. It doesn’t do a job a lot of other Pokémon can’t, but I’d absolutely pick it again if given the chance.​
#4 — Cofagrigus
And I mean Unovan Cofagrigus. Runegrigus is really cool, but my heart still lies with Cofagrigus. There is just a certain aesthetic itch that the galarian form didn’t scratch. I think after my choices in the on-hiatus PMD roleplay, this top ten choice isn’t a surprise, however.​
#3 — Hoopa - U
My love for this Pokémon has only grown over the years, and it’s a damn shame that it’s only a mythical. That’s just the way the cookie crumbles tho, I suppose. I’ll just hope we get a new side game one day that gives a lot of love to this one. I want this card SO badly.​
#2 — Aegislash
It’s perfect. No further questions. Anyways, I had no idea what Leon had going in aside from the obvious Charizard and Starter, and needless to say... I was delighted to see he had Aegislash. It’s such a good pokemon, and D-Max Aegislash is so cool the way it stance changes in such a deliberate motion. It’s spot on a champion team was more than well deserved.​
#1 — Golisopod
The vibe check Pokémon. I recently just got a shiny wimpod AND Golisopod plush gifted to me for Christmas. This one stuck from me from the first time it absolutely dunked me in the garbage in my first encounter with Guzma, and it was my lead is SwSh ahead of my Obstagoon as soon as I got it. I’m not surprised it got here ahead of longtime favorites that didn’t even make the list this year despite it all. My new plush now gets to cozy it up with my Joltik one in it’s new #1 spot.​

Raderph

A Radical Earthling
Globetrotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Silvally

Admittedly this is biased due to a current draft league I'm in, but it's really cool to have such a versatile mon that's also balanced, has a super cool design, and a neat backstory. Certainly the best "artifical" pokemon in my humble opinon.

Ribombee

Ribombee is an actual child can you imagine not liking it. It has a lil bomber scarf and everything. It's a precious baby and my fave bug/

Xurkitree

Continuing the Gen 7 train. I adore the concepts and ideas behind the Ultra Beasts, but this noodle lad is my favourite. It doesn't hurt that it hits like a nuke and had some very silly strats behind it. Also its animations are hilarious, as is its Ultra Wormhole dimension.

Nidoqueen

I don't know why, but I've always loved Nidoqueen. It looks and is tough as hell, and compared to Nidoking I like that the design is toned down a little. It's an old favourite, I dunno.

Gothitelle

BIG SP.DEF GOTH GF

Wooloo

I'm admittedly biased towards Sheep mons but Wooloo is a perfect design. It's cute as hell and the events involving it in game are endearing as all hell. But lets not beat around the bush, it was one of my favourites the moment it got revealed.

Blaziken

Blaziken is my former favourite Pokemon, my very first starter, and one that has only gotten better with age. The original and the best Fire/Fighting. The first (and only, i think?) starter to get banned to Ubers. I clearly made the right choice back in '07.

Spritzee

Funnily enough, it wasn't X/Y that had me fall in love with Spritzee, but rather SwSh took a Pokemon I liked and made it one I loved. It's just, i dunno. I'm shiny hunting one currently. I love the lil plague doctor bird a lot.

Breloom

Breloom gets a lot of points for being an incredibly unique design coming from unassuming origins and also kicking superb amounts of ass. Gen III is my favourite gen, and I think this is getting a little bias as a result of that, but it's just. So good.

Ampharos

...obviously.

I shouldn't have to explain this one.

Though I do like that like myself, it grew long hair recently and looks fabulous for it. (what do you mean XY was 7 years ago)

Polymori

A Hot Mess
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon has an over-active imagination and creates more stories than any sane person should.
This is going to be fun! It's wild to see how much my favs have changed since Unova.​

Pokemon (Least to Most Favored)

#10 (1 pt) Volcarona
IDK what to really say about this one.
Had one in 2 different lockes and just, very good and reliable buggo. Also way nice design. 10/10

#9 (2 pt) Armaldo
A GOOD! Been one of my favs since when I first got the original Hoenn games.
Kinda goofy looking, but really unique too. I just really love this guy. He's been in my top 10 for over a decade now <3 A bit sad so many people forget he exists uwu

#8 (3 pt) Typhlosion
What would I be if I didn't include my boy? A monster, that's what.
Even tho he's just a fire type, he's pretty versatile and just. Look at him! Big huggy boy. Soft, warm, and fluffy for perfect hugs
and strong and fearsome enough to maul anyone who wants to cause you harm. What's not to love?

#7 (4 pt) Scolipede
No idea how Scolipede ended up as #7. Not because it's odd or anything, just because for the longest time
they were my #1 fav pokemon. Until BTAI happened and Alola and Galar came out. Still a
definite favourite of mine. And you're a liar if you never thought about riding this guy into battle.

#6 (5 pt) Meowth (Kantoan)
If I had to choose one pokemon in the world to have, it would be this guy.
Even though he's not my #1 fav, he's definitely cute, fluffy, and travel sized!
Him having payday doesn't hurt either...please I'm broke

#5 (6 pt) Pyukumuku
OMFG what can I say. This pokemon is a life saver.
IDC what people say, this is an amazing pokemon and I'll fist fight anyone who says otherwise.
This fucker here completely saved my team from a total wipe out vs Totem Mimikyu.
I love him so much and aaaaaaaaaaaa
Plus look how cute he is? I'd kill someone for a plush of this baby.

#4 (7 pt) Obstagoon
Okay so. Yes Obstagoon is super new but he became a fav basically instantly.
My fav normal type of all time has always been Linoone.
Still is, but now They have an evolution! Bless Galar for giving us Best Boy Punk Edition!
Galar has so many punk aesthetic mons aaaaa But look at him? Basically perfect!
And teaching us all about that protection and self love, giving himself a hug like that ;3

#3 (8 pt) Toucannon
THIS BASTARD IS OP!
Okay seriously tho. Toucannon was a pokemon I was pretty, neutral about during my first run. Of course
that was because I didn't personally have one and it just seemed to die so fast when I battled against one.
Then came my second run where I got one and was planning to box later once I got something different.
But like he's dummy strong and has an incredible move pool and way more tanky than I realized. Just
This is such a good bird guys.

#2 (9 pt) Golisopod
Golisopod is my 2 favourite types in one so like. He would be first, and probably would technically be
tied for first, but no ties allowed uwu but what isnt there to like? Rad design, best types, great move pool,
a friend!, Guzma's bestie, and just all around a unit. I love him so much I want to collect everything wimpod and golisopod.
This baby is the best <3

#1 (10 pt) Toxtricity
To which no one was even phased.
but yes! I'm a big fan of Toxtricity. This guy may faint from so much as a stiff breeze, but as long as the
wind isn't blowing, this guy will wreck your shit. AMAZING ability, adore the move pool, electric, my 3rd fav type.
PUNK ROCK GUITARIST! Very cute and snuggable. Like, I just love them so much, there's a reason I made
Low Key my new pokesona. I just. Love. Them. So. Much.

Last edited:

brodioh

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
#10 (1 Pt) - Escavalier
#9 (2 Pt) - Perrserker
#8 (3 Pt) - Bergmite
#7 (4 Pt) - Porygon-Z
#6 (5 Pt) - Sceptile
#5 (6 Pt) - Flygon
#4 (7 Pt) - Dusknoir
#3 (8 Pt) - Luxray
#2 (9 Pt) - Gallade
#1 (10 Pt) - Umbreon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)