• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Written Story [MW2] The Mechanic - Broken Pieces

Thread Description
Chapter 2 posted!

SilverDoe

Kanto League Champion
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
Hey there and welcome to my Mirror World 2 run! This is my first time doing anything Mirror World related but so far I think I'm being sucked into it just as much as my characters.

This is going to take primarily the form of a written story. Since I'm trying to take screenshots as I play, I may find some way to use some later on, but for now we're sticking to the comfort zone.

Rules are the same as those found in the MW2 sign-up post, but with an additional restriction:
After a gym badge is earned, if there are any Pokemon in the box that have not been used in battle in a gym, they must be placed in the party until the next gym is completed. The starter must always be in the party if alive. (If there are more than five Pokemon in the box that haven’t been used, 5 will be randomly selected and any others must be chosen the next time.)

Basically, I have to give equal opportunity to all Pokemon I catch so that they all get to spend time battling.

The last time she woke up in a strange room with no memory of how she got there, her day had sucked. She had a feeling this one would too.

The room itself wasn’t even ominous, except for maybe the absolutely archaic television that didn’t even work, and the computer that upon closer inspection turned out not to have any parts inside. The radio didn’t work either, but that might have been a blessing. She’d been listening to it so much that the silence came as a relief. Although, it might have been able to tell her who was behind her newest predicament. Had a Cipher cell reformed… or was this Bekka’s work?

No. Sandy dismissed that last thought. If it was Bekka, then she wouldn’t have woken up in a in a comfortable, if small, bed. And she wouldn’t have been alone.

There was only way to find out who was responsible, and it wasn’t by staying in such a bleak room.

Her hands went to her pockets as she moved toward the door. Or they would have, if she’d been wearing her coat, which was probably still lying over the back of the chair she’d tossed it on when she’d returned to her den the night before. Not that it would do her much good even if she did have it. She no longer had any of her Pokémon. Most were in Agate, where they were safe and happy. Apollo stayed with the kids and even Athena…

Sandy closed her eyes and tried to stretch her mind outward. Her den wasn’t that far from the kids’ house, and normally she could still feel Athena’s presence as a faint tingling in the recesses of her mind. But not today.

Sandy shook her head to clear it. It didn’t matter. It was probably better that she couldn’t feel Athena. It meant the Espeon was likely still safe, with her brother and the kids who needed her much more than Sandy did. Whatever waited for her downstairs, Sandy could handle it on her own… so long as it was a person, and not a Pokémon, which, fortunately, it was. Unfortunately, despite Sandy’s excellent stealth, the floorboards set off a storm of creaking the moment her foot touched them, and the woman whirled around.

She beamed at Sandy from her seat at the table and jumped up. “Oh, Aleksandra! You’re up!”

Leaving aside, for now, the fact that this woman knew her name (it wasn’t that surprising, since she must have had a reason for kidnapping her), Sandy took a cautious step forward, her eyes surveying the room beyond the woman.

It was as plain as the bedroom upstairs had been, with almost as little furniture. There was a tiny kitchen in the far corner, a couple of bookshelves along the back wall, a table for four in the center of the room, and past it, almost directly behind the woman, the only door.

The woman hadn’t stopped smiling.

Sandy eyed her. “Who are you? Where am I?”

The woman gave a tittering laugh faker than any Sandy had ever heard. “Oh, you and your silly jokes! Like you would forget your own mother.”

Her own what?

“Here, dear, your Pokégear came back from the shop.” The woman snatched up a device from the table and held it out to Sandy.

“You are not my mother.” Sandy didn’t reach for the device or even look at it. She glanced toward the door. If she caught the woman off guard, she might be able to make it. She was fast. And the middle-aged woman in front of her didn’t exactly look tough, so she could probably win in a straight-up fight too.

“Don’t be silly, dear. Here, your Pokégear came back from the shop.” The woman walked closer to Sandy, who resisted the urge to step back and instead tried to ready herself - she wasn’t sure whether to run or right. Once again, the woman offered her the device. This time, Sandy glanced at it. It looked almost like a Pokémon digital assistant but smaller.

“Look.” Sandy held up her hands, in a gesture for truce but to also make it clear she wasn’t going to be taking anything. “If this is an act, you can drop it. I’m not going to fall for it. I know my mother’s dead. If it’s not an act….” She trailed off, unsure how to follow up that thought.

Here, dear, your Pokégear came back from the shop.” The woman who was not her mother threw the device at her. Sandy caught it reflexively.

Apparently it wasn’t a trap. Or a bomb. It did nothing in Sandy’s hands except sit there, the metal cool against her skin.

Without waiting for any kind of reaction, the woman returned to the table, picking up the only other item on it — a rather worn-looking backpack. “By the way, dear, our neighbor Professor Elm was looking for you.” She held out the backpack to Sandy. Throughout the entire conversation, her smile had never wavered. “He said he wanted you to do something for him. You should go see what he wants.”

Sandy accepted the backpack before it could be thrown at her too, though judging from how light it was, it wouldn’t have hurt a bit. Something about the way this woman talked, the way she never stopped smiling… it struck Sandy as almost mechanical. “Oh, right, Mom,” she said, choosing her words carefully. “Our neighbor, Professor Elm, the professional juggler who does cartwheels and handstands, he probably wants me to teach him how to do a back-flip, since I’m the top gymnast in Orre, I’ll go see him right away.”

The woman beamed. “Great! Now Professor Elm is waiting for you, so hurry up baby!” She sat back down at the table.

“Maybe I’ll just go hang out at the bar for a while first,” Sandy said as she tucked the Pokégear into the backpack and slid it over one shoulder.

As she suspected, the woman just smiled and repeated her last statement. “Professor Elm is waiting for you, hurry up baby!”

Sandy somehow knew she wouldn’t get anything else out of this woman, but at least it seemed she wouldn’t be trying to stop her from leaving. “Whatever.” As she pulled the door open, she said over her shoulder. “By the way, my real mother never called me baby. Next time, do better research.”

Once outside, she realized that the day’s surprises were far from over.

She didn’t know where the hell she was, but it definitely wasn’t Orre.

Forests of trees - giant ones that stretched all the way to the clouds — surrounded the tiny village on almost all sides. Not far from the house she’d just left, a river sparkled with water that reflected the blue sky overhead. Or… maybe it wasn’t a river, since it didn’t seem to be flowing anywhere. What did that make it? A pond? A lake? With all the trees she couldn’t tell how big it was. Either way, it looked natural — and still.

Sandy stood at the water’s edge, gazing across it. A breeze flew by, lifting her hair and blowing strands of it across her face. She closed her eyes instead of brushing the hair away and just listened. Tree branches rustled all around her, and not far away something splashed in the water. A Pokémon?

She dug the Pokégear back out of her backpack and turned it on. The technology seemed old and out-of-date, but it wasn’t difficult to figure out how to operate it. Just as she’d hoped, it had a map.

Johto?!” Sandy stared at the region name across the top of the map and at the tiny blinking dot that supposedly marked her current location in New Bark Town. But, that wasn’t possible. She couldn’t be in Johto… could she? Her heart suddenly pounding loudly in her chest, Sandy put the Pokégear away and turned away from the water.

It wasn’t hard to pinpoint which building belonged to the professor she was supposed to go see. It was the only one that wasn’t a two-story house, and it had a giant Pokéball symbol hanging over the door. In all her confusion over, well, everything, she hadn’t fully processed what it meant to hear the name of Johto’s top Pokémon Professor.

That seemed to confirm her location, but it introduced a ton of other questions, like why would he want to see her, why would he even know who she was — unless he had a habit of keeping up with news from Orre. And if he did know her, did that mean he was involved in her kidnapping? Again, there was only one way she could think of to find out.

The lab assistant hunched over a desk in the corner didn’t even look up as she entered. Since stealth wasn’t really the goal here, she let the wind pull the door out of her hand and slam it shut behind her. Still no reaction. Someone loved their work.

The back of the room held a man who had to be the professor. He, too, sat hunched over a desk, typing painstakingly away on a keyboard and constantly looking up and down between it and the computer monitor. Sandy noted that the computer looked as ancient as the one in the room she woke up in, except evidently this one had all its parts intact. Professor Elm didn’t appear to notice her but kept typing, his glasses askew.

The rest of the room looked more normal than the house had. A Pokéball healing machine stood in the far left corner next to another desk, and bookshelves that did not appear well-organized lined the rest of the walls. The only piece of furniture that didn’t really seem to fit was a narrow table in the middle on which rested three Pokeballs. In them, Sandy saw her chance to gain some backup power.

Keeping an eye on Elm, Sandy inched toward the table. The lab’s floor was tile, not wood, and she was careful not to let her shoes squeak on it. She crept forward to the sound of the professor typing at the highly irritating speed of two letters per minute. She reached the table and stretched out a hand — it didn’t really matter which Pokéball she grabbed, but then —

“Aleksandra!”

“Shit,” she muttered, dropping her hand and turning. She plastered an innocent smile on her face. “Oh, uh, hi.”

Professor Elm bustled over to her, taking her hand and pumping it up and down. “I’m so glad you made it! I need to ask you a favor, I’m conducting new research about Pokémon, you see, but there are some things I don’t understand, so I need you to raise a Pokémon that I caught!” He spoke in a rush, as though he couldn’t get the words out fast enough, and he kept on shaking her hand.

This day just kept getting weirder.

Sandy pulled her hand free. “You, uh… you want to give me a Pokémon?” She asked, trying to make sure she’d heard correctly.

“Yes, it’ll be great for my research, thank you so much, you’re a real help!” Again the words came tumbling out and then he spun around and ran back to his computer. “Hey, I got an email!” He gestured at the screen. “I have a friend called Mr. Pokémon, he’s always finding rare stuff and raving about his discoveries and I just got an email from him saying this time it’s for real but we’re busy with our research and hey!” He rushed to Sandy, who took several steps back. “Can you go in our place? You can take the Pokémon that you’ll be raising, it’s one of these, go on, pick one!”

Sandy’s head hurt. She didn’t understand half of what was going on, but if he was going to give her a Pokémon, she wasn’t going to protest. She started to reach for the closest Pokéball but then hesitated. “What are they?”

“Chikorita, Oddish, male Nidoran.” Professor Elm rattled off, pointing to each in turn.

Chikorita… an image popped in Sandy’s head of a Bayleef lying curled up in a patch of grass, her smiling face lifted toward the sun.

She shoved the memory away. Definitely not that one. She grabbed the Nidoran’s Pokéball.

“That’s a great Pokémon! Mr. Pokémon lives a little ways north of Cherrygrove, it’s almost a direct route so you should have no trouble finding him, but just in case I should give you my phone number, can I register it in your Pokégear?” Elm held out a hand expectantly. Sandy passed the Pokégear over — even if she never got it back, she wasn’t that attached to it.

She’d spotted a box of Pokeballs on the Professor’s desk. Judging from the price sticker still attached, she suspected they were empty. As Professor Elm registered his phone number with the same slow precise typing skills he’d exhibited on the computer, Sandy slipped past him and sidled up along his desk. He didn’t seem to notice her moving. She scooped a few of the Pokeballs and dumped them into her backpack, zipping it back up before he turned around. She tugged the backpack over her shoulder, glanced around, and saw someone watching through the window.

Not just someone.

The light brown hair, darker than her own, but with her same amber eyes.

Sandy stood, staring, her mind blank and her body frozen.

Outside the window, Bekka smirked at her before ducking out of sight.

“Here you go! Now remember, Mr. Pokémon's house is —” Elm tried to hand her the Pokégear back and Sandy’s mind kicked back into gear. She snatched the device and ran, not caring what else Elm had to say. She doubted it would be anything new.

She raced around the building, but Bekka was gone. She must have fled into the forest. Sandy ran up to the trees, but she had no idea where Bekka might have entered them or which way she would have gone. There were no footprints, no broken branches, no signs at all.

Had it really been her?

Sandy circled the rest of the way around the lab, wondering if she’d imagined seeing her sister’s face. She’d almost completely ruled out the possibility of Bekka being involved in her kidnapping — if that was even what it was. The incredible weirdness of it all didn’t seem like something Bekka would come up with, and she saw no reason why Bekka would take her to Johto and then hide and run away from her.

She must have imagined it. All those long days and nights listening to the radio for any drops of news about her whereabouts had gotten to her brain, making her see things that weren’t there.

Sandy found herself standing at the only path leading out of town. She looked down at the Pokégear in her hand. According to it, Cherrygrove was the next town over. Maybe it held answers for her.

She took a deep breath and traded the Pokégear for the Nidoran’s Pokéball, releasing it.

The spiky purple Pokémon shook its ears and looked up at her. She crouched down. “Hey. I’m Sandy. Guess I’m your trainer now.”

The Nidoran flexed the spines on its back and nodded, already resolute. Sandy couldn’t help smiling a little. “I’ll call you Jarok, that alright?” The Nidoran didn’t make any protests, so she stood up. She cast one last look around New Bark Town, but she felt no desire to linger there any longer.

She turned to face the path, and Jarok stepped up beside her. The Nidoran was tiny, barely reaching past her shins, but he was company.

“Let’s go.”

First chapter doesn't cover a lot of ground, but subsequent ones should cover more! Maybe. We'll see when I write them.

There also isn't much to remark on for gameplay. I hadn't look at anything from the randomization log when I started playing, so I at this point I had no idea what types any of them were and Sandy also has no idea her Nidoran isn't a poison type. That'll be fun for her to find out. I'll let you all know now though: Jarok is a dragon/fighting type! He came knowing Twister and Cross Chop. There's no screenshot because somehow all of my early screenshots have disappeared? I have no idea what happened to them but they're just nowhere now. So, yeah. It's unfortunate but what I can do?

Next time we go ahead and start catching Pokemon since Sandy's got her hands on some Pokeballs!

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Nidoking would make an absolute monster of a Dragon/Fighting type; it just works so well with his design.

Jimcloud

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Pronouns
they/he/she
God, I've had a lot of fun seeing the robotic NPCs crop up in Mirror Worlds so far. It's so interesting seeing different responses to it from people with different dispositions. Sandy, in particular, seems like an act first, ask questions later type, and I'm quite curious to see how well that avails her in a world that doesn't move on grit and gumption alone.

Also, the default VBA does this thing where it starts over at screenshot 1 after every session of gameplay, deleting the screenshots of the previous gameplay. I'd guess that happened to you.

SilverDoe

Kanto League Champion
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Trollkitten I thought the typing for Nidoran was pretty fitting too! I hope I make it to the point of having a dragon/fighting Nidoking.

@Jimcloud Sandy's going to have fun once something stops her from keeping moving. (It'll be even more fun when that something is named Bekka.) And you're right about the VBA screenshots… which is something I knew once and then forgot. At least now I know again.

Here's Chapter 1.5! So labeled because it's really short, but I wanted to post it on its own. Here we meet our benevolent rival.

Enjoy.

Have you ever hated someone? Genuinely, blood boiling, seeing red, chilled to the bone, hated them? I hadn’t. I never saw the point. Sure, there were people who made me angry, or who were just flat out useless, but why waste hatred on them? There were better uses of my time.

That’s what I used to think.

I basically raised her, you know. Sandy. Our parents died when she was nine. I was only fourteen, but I stepped up and took care of us both.

She probably blames me for teaching her how to steal, doesn’t she? Even if it seems none of her new friends care that their precious hero was once a thief. Is still a thief, let’s be honest. She got away with it. But then, she gets away with everything.

She’s lucky. I’m not.

I never needed luck. Not until she turned against me. I guess that’s my fatal flaw, right? Putting too much faith in my sister.

It’s not foolish that I didn’t see this coming. No one would have seen it coming. She hid her hero complex too damn well.

She adored her Espeon. The one that evolved from the Eevee I stole for her. You know how rare those are in Orre? How hard that was to pull off?

Evidently she doesn’t. I gave her an Eevee, but it wasn’t enough for her. She had to go and steal mine too. My Umbreon, that is.

She stole everything. All so she could prop herself up as a hero. The fact that it worked is just… infuriating.

She got lucky. But she won’t this time.

This is my plan. Sure, it’s their world and their power that brought her here, but breaking her? That’s my job, and this time she won’t catch me by surprise. Like I said, I raised her, and now that she’s revealed her true self, I know her even better.

You’re part of the plan. An important part, though your role won’t come yet. Not until you evolve. Then, I’ll let her meet you.

Don’t worry, I’ll tell you why. I’ll explain everything. You’re my number one. I need you on board to pull this off.

She ruined my life and left me with nothing. Hating her isn’t a waste anymore.

You’ll see.

Isn't she charming?

I hope this isn't too confusing, but Bekka is talking to her starter here.

No gameplay notes because… there wasn't any gameplay. Except, since I'm skipping the first rival battle, I guess I can reveal that Bekka's starter is Chikorita! I don't know the typing because I haven't looked it up. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to or if I'll just see if I can figure it out. Should be fun.

That's the philosophy I'm adopting for Mirror World. Six words: Don't think. Just write. Have fun.

And, on that note, I'm thinking of trying out different writing styles/approaches throughout this story. This is the first example of that. I'm not sure if the next chapter will be another example or not. We'll see.

Jimcloud

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Pronouns
they/he/she
oh HELL yea, this is a nice tasty little look into Bekka's perspective before we get back to Sandy. I was finding myself really curious about their relationship dynamic, and this answers... well, at least some of those questions, I think, though we'll probably know more when we get the other side of the story, huh? One begins to think, perhaps, Bekka may have some slightly strong feelings on this subject.

A little strong.

A smidge.

So.... you didn't give Bekka an Eevee, did you? Did you? oh this is gonna be brutal. I'm looking forward to it.

Ephemera

Faerie of the Viridian Forest
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
They/them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Tries to find the wonder in everything. Hopes to be more kind as each day passes.
Oh, wow, you're being really brave here, not looking at the logs immediately.
I abused the heck out of my logs, and I still managed to mess up – good luck!

I want to know what happened to make the sisters hate each other... I guess I'll have to keep up to find out!

SilverDoe

Kanto League Champion
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Water, Ghost
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Jimcloud glad you liked the peek into Bekka's perspective! I don't know what you're talking about, though, she never has strong feelings about anything, ever, she's always the most calm and collected person in the world. Even the Mirror World. Also, no, I didn't give Bekka an Eevee, mainly because I started the gameplay before I worked out details from the backstory. She did end up with a different Pokemon that holds significance for Sandy though.

@Ephemera Yeah, we'll see if I keep up not looking at the logs. It may be too dangerous for my admittedly reckless playstyle. I plan to reveal Sandy and Bekka's history in pieces throughout the run. I'm glad it's interesting so far to you.

What procrastination? I'm sure I didn't procrastinate, did you procrastinate?

Here's Chapter 2! In the nick of time. I was going to split what happens here into two chapters but then there turned out to not be a good splitting point (imo) so instaed it's just a long chapter, comparatively.

An invisible wall would, presumably, have a creator of some kind. A Pokemon, a machine, a person with a lot of reflective material. You would think there’d be a cause, and that if the cause could be found, the wall could be passed. Unfortunately, Sandy couldn’t find the cause.

Maybe she could get past the wall at night. That’s what she’d decided when she took a break from searching for a way around, letting her Pokemon out as she sat on the grass beside a clump of berry bushes. Her Pokemon couldn’t pass the invisible walls west of Violet City either, though strangely enough their attacks could. Her attempt to have Pip, the Hoppip she’d caught back near Cherrygrove, hyper beam the wall into dust had failed when the ray of energy shot right through and blew up a boulder instead.

Being trapped didn’t bother her Pokemon as much as it did her. They’d spent the last hour playing with each other and eating berries, which was more reassuring than anything else that had happened that day. Sure, the Pokemon were bizarre - why did a Sudowoodo love water and why did her Nidoran cause twisters and attempt to karate chop everything instead of using poison sting and why did Hoppip only ever use hyper beam or dig underground - but at least they didn’t behave like broken-down robots.

Her Pokegear rang.

She’d thought Elm had given up. For the first three hours after she’d left Mr. Pokemon’s house, he’d called every ten minutes. Exactly ten minutes, down to the second. She’d timed it. Then, at last, she’d gotten a break from that annoying buzzing. She would have turned it off, but she needed the map. Now, apparently, Elm was at it again.

Sandy hesitated over the Pokegear, staring at the caller id. She really didn’t want to have to listen to the constant ringing again and… maybe Elm knew something useful.

She answered the call. “Hello?”

At first, she heard nothing. Had her actually answering thrown Elm into shock?

“Hello? Sandy?”

Guess not. She spoke into the pause. “Yeah?”

“It’s a disaster!” There was no hint of worry or panic in Elm’s voice. Just more of that mechanical determination to get all the words out at once. “Um, it’s just terrible, what should I do, oh, no, please get back here now!”

“What’s terrible?” Sandy frowned. She definitely wasn’t going all the way back to New Bark Town at this point. Not without a good reason. Somehow, she doubted Elm would give her one.

Elm didn’t answer immediately. When he did, his voice had changed. “Sandy, this is terrible, oh, yes, what was Mr. Pokemon’s big discovery?” He spoke slowly now, calmness radiating from his voice.

“Uh….” Sandy hesitated. She glanced at her backpack.

“Is it a Pokemon egg? If so, it’s a great discovery!”

“Is it?” Sandy had been puzzled when both Mr. Pokemon and - supposedly - Professor Samuel Oak and fawned over the rather ordinary looking egg, but it seemed Elm was just as floored by the idea.

“Sandy! We discovered something about the egg!”

This was less a conversation than it was a weirdo shouting random, barely connected sentences at her. She didn’t answer, but Elm didn’t need her to.

“I have another favor to ask, will you take the Pokemon egg?” The frantic speech returned. “We have discovered that a Pokemon will not hatch unless it grows inside the egg, and it cannot grow without being cared for by a trainer. Sandy, you’re the only one we can rely on! Please take the egg and call Professor Elm when it hatches!”

The name drop was weird — far from the weirdest thing that had happened that day, though. It was also far from the weirdest thing Elm had said.

Feeling a little like there might be a trick going on, Sandy leaned over and unzipped her backpack. The egg in question, cream colored with light blue streaks, still rested inside.

“Yeah, the egg’s fine.” She figured she might as well humor Elm. “By the way, I’m in Violet City, and there are these invisible —”

“Violet City!” Elm interrupted with a shout, making Sandy wince and pull the Pokegear farther from her ear. “That’s where the gym is! And the Sprout Tower! You should check them out and be sure to tell your mom you’re leaving!”

With that, he hung up.

“That was not helpful,” Sandy said to Jarok, who lay curled up beside her. The Nidoran lifted his head to rest it atop her leg instead. She ran a hand over the spines on his back, careful to avoid the tips. “Silly me for thinking it would be.”

He gave a snort that might have been agreement. Another snort came from her other side. Charsi, the Charmander she’d caught in the nearby ruins, had come over and now poked at the egg in her backpack.

“Careful with your tail. I didn’t save that egg from the psycho robot people just for you to turn it into an omelet.” Sandy kept an eye on the Charmander, but she'd already abandoned the egg anyway, instead plopping onto the grass beside Jarok. Sandy didn’t know if she really needed to worry about the Charmander’s tail, when the Pokemon didn’t know any fire-type moves. According to the Pokedex Professor Oak had given her, always assuming it had been the real professor, the Charmander was a dark type.

None of her Pokemon were the types they were supposed to be. Which, now that she thought about it, could be why Elm was so interested in a hybrid egg. She still didn’t trust him with it, but it might at least answer one question.

By then the sun had disappeared below the treetops, but faint light still lingered in the sky. She still had some time before it got dark enough to count as night.

“Maybe we should check out the Sprout Tower.” She looked at Jarok as she spoke. Her Nidoran stared back. “We’ve got some time to kill, and maybe someone there can give us more info.”

Jarok just blinked at her. Charsi stuffed a few blades of grass in her jaw, chomping on them with unnecessary force.

“Guess that’s it, then.”

None of her Pokemon protested when she recalled them, and Jarok stayed out to accompany her through the city, shooting glares at anyone who came too close. To Sandy’s relief, no one tried to talk to her this time. She didn’t think she could handle many more circular conversations.

By the time she made it to Sprout Tower, most of the light outside came from street lamps. The swaying tower did not look safe, but then again, she’d yet to find anywhere that did feel safe.

The first floor held only a couple people: an older woman who glanced at her but then returned to dusting off a statue and an older man, dressed like a sage, who sat near the stairs with his eyes closed and his hands palms-up on his knees. Sandy suspected he was meditating and moved past him as quietly as she could. Jarok made a lot more noise scrambling up the steps, but the sage didn’t react.

Wild Pokemon lurked in the shadows of the second floor. Sandy heard them moving and felt their eyes on her. None of them came into the light, however, so Sandy ignored them. She focused on walking without losing her balance as the floor rocked under her feet. Jarok found it harder than she did, stumbling every other step. Taking pity on him, Sandy recalled him into his Pokeball. But when she did, the noises in the shadows grew louder, setting her heart to racing. She fumbled with her pokeballs before choosing to let Pip out. The Hoppip floated beside her, unaffected by the swaying tower.

Another sage waited beside the stairs going up. Figuring she shouldn’t pass up another chance to gain information, Sandy hesitated before climbing the steps. “Hey. Uh. Do you know how I can leave the city?”

The sage turned his head in a slow motion. His eyes bored into her. “The elder waits at the top.”

That wasn’t what she asked. She really needed to come up with a way to ask roundabout questions. Maybe then she’d get the answers she actually wanted.

“Can the elder tell me how to leave?”

The sage nodded, but didn’t speak again. The temptation to tell Pip to Bone Rush the sage and see if that got a better response floated through Sandy’s mind, but she shoved it away. That wouldn’t help much. Instead, she continued to climb the tower.

She met a few more sages along the way, but she didn’t say anything to them and they stayed silent as well. Their eyes followed her though. They stared as she approached, and as she walked past she felt their eyes on the back of her head. When she made it to the top floor, her nerves were a mess. Her shoulders ached from tension and every little sound set her more on edge.

She had to walk along a narrow hallway lined with more silent, staring sages before she found the man she assumed to be the elder. He knelt in a corner of the room near a shimmering rope that hung from the ceiling. A part of the far wall seemed to have been removed. It could have been a window, except most windows didn’t run from floor to ceiling and have nothing separating the inside of the room from open air on the outside.

The room had another occupant, lurking in the shadows near the door, but Sandy didn’t notice her until after she walked toward the elder and heard the footsteps behind her. The back of her neck tingled. Sandy spun and froze, chills sweeping over her at the sight of her sister.

Rebekkah Clover smiled at Sandy, but the smile wasn’t real. It held nothing but ice.

Sandy stared, doubting her eyes — doubting her sanity. “Be - Bekka? But, what — how —”

“Surprised?” Bekka’s smile turned into a smirk. “I thought you would be.”

You brought me here?” Sandy couldn’t keep the shock or outrage out of her voice. “Why?”

“Technically, no, that part wasn’t me.” Bekka shrugged. “But I’m glad you’re here.”

“You are?”

“Of course.” Bekka stepped closer to Sandy, who automatically took a step back. Bekka noticed, and her smirk grew. “You remember the last time we saw each other?”

Sandy had tried not to think about that meeting every night since it happened and failed miserably.

Bekka didn’t wait for an answer. “I made you a promise then.”

“Yeah.” Sandy forced the words out, helped by a spark of anger deep inside her. “But don’t worry about keeping it. You already broke all your other promises.”

Bekka’s eyes flashed. “You betrayed me.”

“It wasn’t personal.” Sandy knew those words would get under Bekka’s skin, and she didn’t care. They were true. “And I did the right thing.”

She’d repeated the last part to herself over and over. Knowing she hadn’t been the first to say it made it easier to consider.

“What part of stealing my Pokemon and trying to murder me was the right thing?” Bekka raised her voice and Sandy had to fight the urge to step backward again.

“I didn’t try to murder you!” Sandy balled her hands into fists at her side. Bekka had said that last time, too, but Sandy hadn’t been able to protest then. “I knew you weren’t there, no one was. I wouldn’t do that, I’m not you.”

She hadn’t planned the last accusation. It spilled out of her and, after what happened before, how could it not? I’m not her.

Bekka scowled, but her expression cleared only a moment later. “No. You’re not.”

The last time Sandy saw Bekka, her older sister had been desperate, overwrought with emotions that Sandy didn’t know how to handle and accusations she couldn’t refute. But now, Bekka wasn’t even looking at Sandy. Not really. Her eyes were unfocused, and Sandy recognized her expression. Bekka was thinking. Deliberating.

Although Sandy’s own emotions still simmered inside her, she couldn’t help thinking that maybe Bekka was stuck too. Maybe they could figure it out together.

“Listen, Bekka.” Sandy tried to keep her voice neutral. She stayed still, watching Bekka closely. “This place is weird. It’s… wrong, like it’s broken or something. Let’s just get out of here. Do you know where we are? Or how to get back to Orre?

Bekka’s attention snapped back onto her through a look dripping with scorn. “Why would I want to go back to Orre? There’s nothing left for me there, especially not my revenge.”

The brief hope that bloomed in Sandy’s chest burned to dust. “Your revenge. On me. For helping people, and Pokemon, when you tried to hurt them.”

Bekka lunged forward and seized the front of Sandy’s shirt, shoving her back.

“Don’t act all high and mighty.” Bekka practically hissed at her. “You’re only lucky no one seems to care about all the Pokemon you stole, including mine. You can’t deny that.”

Sandy’s heel tipped over the edge of the floor onto open air. Sandy tried to push back, but she was losing balance. She grabbed hold of Bekka with one hand and tried to grab a pokeball with the other, but then Bekka spoke, and the words stole Sandy’s breath away. The wind howled in her ears, whipping at her back.

“Thanks for leading us to your little friend. Now I don’t need you anymore.”

And suddenly Sandy was struggling to balance on the ledge of a different tower while her sister laughed in front of her. Sandy’s heart pounded in her chest, in her ears, and she clung to Bekka, her only lifeline, even as her sister held her on the edge of the balcony, where a single push would send her falling to her death several hundred feet below.

A young girl with bright orange hair backed away from them, her body shaking and fear in her eyes. The elevator doors dinged and a man stepped through, wearing the maroon bandana that marked him as one of Bekka’s goons.

Run!” Sandy shouted, and Rui tried, but the goon caught her easily. Rui struggled and kicked and yelled, but the goon held her fast. He ignored her, looking instead at Bekka, waiting for orders.

Bekka had always been physically stronger than Sandy, but she was distracted now, looking behind her to check on the situation.

Gathering all her strength, Sandy kicked up and out and her knee connected with Bekka’s abdomen. The kick lacked force, but it was enough to make Bekka flinch and loosen her grip.

Sandy yanked herself free and grabbed hold of the wall, regaining her balance, but then pain erupted in her side. She looked down. A knife stuck out from just above her hip. A scream rang in her ears - Rui - and Sandy slipped down the wall. Sandy struggled to keep hold of herself, to ignore the pain. Rui need her, depended on her, she had to —

“Give up, Aleksandra.” Her sister never used her full name. “You lost.”

No.

Not yet.

Bekka turned away, walking over to join the goon and Rui. She gazed down at the young girl, who had tears running down her cheeks though she ignored them to glare up at Bekka.

“What do we do with her?” The goon asked. He pushed Rui forward, but his eyes darted over to Sandy.

Sandy wrapped her fingers around the knife.

“We’ll take her upstairs. Cipher wants her alive.”

Sandy pulled the knife free and staggered to her feet, aiming. Her eyes met Rui’s.

Sandy threw the knife. The goon yelled, but his warning came too late. He released Rui, trying to pull Bekka aside instead, and Rui ran without hesitation. She sprinted to Sandy’s side. Sandy flinched at Bekka’s shriek of pain as the knife found its mark in her shoulder.

Grabbing Rui hand, Sandy stumbled out of the room with her, and the two of them ran.

“Pathetic.”

Sandy slammed into the ground, the breath knocked out of her lungs. She felt wooden boards beneath her palms, not the cold steel of Realgam Tower. Her sister stood over her, but Bekka looked different. Colder and calmer.

She was in the Sprout Tower. In Johto.

“I don’t want to kill you,” Bekka told Sandy, her expression impossible to read. “Not yet. I’ve learned there are better ways of making you pay.”Bekka crossed to the shimmering rope and paused, looking back. “Good luck surviving this world. You’ll need it.”

She tugged on the rope. Light enveloped her body and she disappeared.

Panic washed over Sandy in waves. She struggled to draw in breath.

She didn’t understand what had happened,

Her arms trembled in their attempt to support her torso so Sandy pushed herself back onto her knees. Her hands kept shaking. She didn’t know why.

Her insides quaked. Her stomach twisted with guilt. Her throat burned and her eyes stung. But, she didn’t know why.

Sandy reached for a pokeball, grabbing one at random. Charsi materialized beside her. The Charmander looked up at her and frowned. She poked Sandy’s arm with a tiny claw.

Sandy breathed. In. Out.

Charsi chattered in concern and then threw a glare at the elder who still sat in the corner. He hadn’t moved since Sandy first saw him. Charsi growled and shadows swirled around her jaw as she opened it wide, her teeth gleaming.

“Wait.” Sandy brushed a hand against the Charmander’s shoulder. She may not be a fire-type, but she still had welcome warmth. Sandy took another deep breath and then rose to her feet. She met the elder’s gaze.

“Do you have a question for me?” He watched her, expressionless.

Sandy had a lot of questions she could’ve asked, but only one really mattered to her. “How do I get out of this fucking city?”

He didn’t react to her language. “You must prove your strength. Earn a badge at the Violet Gym. Only then will you be able to pass the boundary.” He gestured to the rope. “This will transport you to the base of the tower.”

She turned away without a response. Charsi growled one last time at the elder before accompanying her. They left the tower the way they came: using the stairs.

I uh might skip over the gym battle. I don't like writing battles and I'm going to have to do that for another story which makes me not want to do it here. The next part will probably skip ahead to Sandy having blown through the gym battle and raced out of the city.

The gym battle was super uneventful anyway. I only had a couple close calls because I didn't use the potions I had and also because I'm kind of a reckless player who doesn't always do things the smart way. I guess that means I'm also a stupid player?

Anyway, here are some screenshots for show and tell! Except it's only show.

(Both fainted to wild mon, not team members)

I'm unsure whether today being the original deadline meant that this would've been late but oh well, I got it out anyway!

Jimcloud

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Pronouns
they/he/she
SO, BEKKA HUH.

this update was a hell of a ride from start to finish. I thought you did a good job picking and choosing which parts of the gameplay to show and which to leave unsaid or implied, I think it does a lot for the oomph this update has. and BOY HOWDY is there some fucking oomph. You give us a lot of fun content for this part, a lot of things coming through in the interactions between Bekka and Sandy and a lot of tension there, I uh, I think maybe some therapy might do these sisters a little bit of good? Maybe a touch? Perhaps.

Well... okay it might be a little late for that but god damn.

Here's hoping the future is kinder to Sandy, but... somehow I have a bad feeling about that one.

Second

A Yu-Gi-Oh! Protagonist but in Real Life
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
They / Them
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ice
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon has a tendency to start many projects as they come to mind, but they tend to only finish projects other people have made deadlines for.
Holy shit Bekka's an intense rival; I can't wait to see where this goes. Sandy's having a rough time of it... I love your writing style!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)