• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Nine of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode contains a discussion segment on gjinka nuzlockes, as well as the continuations of all our fabulous featured stories.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Nuzlocke Moves you have grown to love/hate thanks to Nuzlockes

Rhema

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
This is completely and utterly counterintuitive, but I have grown to LOVE Metronome.

The horror! I know, I know. What if something explodes? Why would I risk that? Here's why

It's fun as hell. Especially if you're going to write about it! I'm currently working on gameplay for an upcoming fic and I have a Metronome-using Pokemon. It's so damn entertaining to dream up the battles I get to write about that'll be so utterly random and unpredictable. Idk, I just think it's a super fun move that I'm willing to accept the risks of. I've never had an Explosion happen!

Dancing Omastar

Jack of some trades
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Ghost
After killing Lance with my Azumarill using only 4PP I must say that I love Rollout. Even though I failed an X run because it missed three times in a row it still feels amazing when you hit multiple times in a row, doubling the damage every time.
And since sweeping is my favorite strategy I also really like moves that raise multiple stats at the same time. Or movs that raise one stat sharply. Or drastically. Or that maximize stats.

pikamewphlosion

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 1, 2019
Hate: Pursuit, Destiny Bond, Explosion, and Outrage Clones (in Gens where their BP is 120): well, I love the Outrage clones when I have them, but let me tell you, Lance in HgSS is a nightmare when you don’t allow healing in battle and his Ace has BP 120 STAB that 2 - 3HKOs your entire team

moves I hate to use: Hypnosis, and Non Compound Eyes Sleep Powder. I’m just not willing to click them and potentially give up my turn. Sing is at least usually found early game on Pokémon with decent bulk

Love: Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Rock Polish, Calm Mind (when you can’t use heals, being able to kill enemies in 1 blow becomes super important. Rock Polish, meanwhile, lets an Early Game Tank like The Dude be used as a sweeper towards the end of the run, because as its typing weakens defensively, it becomes better offensively)

Fire Blast (how often can you claim to take out Miltank at near prime health with a neutral attack? Sure it was Blaze and Charcoal buffed, but that just sweetened the deal).

Flash (I’m not joking. Since the AI almost never switches, you can neuter a wimpy lead and then then use that as a chance to set up with SD, DD, or whatever other move)

And of course, Return. Normal type EQ. What’s not to love? It carried my Huge Power Adamantzurill thru most of White 2

AxisVactaire

Nuzlockologist
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2020
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Electric, Psychic
Hate: Double Team, Destiny Bond, Counter, Bulk Up, Selfdestruct, Explosion, Overheat, Attract (most of this is all from R/S/E experience)

Love: Teleport (extremely valuable when you need to transport a Poisoned team member back to safety, or just urgently need to heal in general), Thrash (getting this onto Gyarados in R/S/E or Nidoking in FR/LG early on is pretty broken imo), Secret Power (anyone who's anyone can learn this, it hits pretty decently & with added effects; in FR/LG, it's my personal favorite way to thwack Misty's star Pokemon -> TM43 + Gyarados = Win)

redninjapuffle

The Nuzlocke Kid with stories
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
Hate: any counter based move, FUCK COUNTERS
Love: Dragon rage and Sonic boom, really useful early game, which is the most vulnerable part of any nuzlocke

SomeGuyWhoWannaDie

TheUltimateMuffin
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 16, 2020
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
Pokédex Entry
A pokemon that, when come of age, Throw's Itself at its computer and basically dies. It is rare to see one of these in the wild, as they are inside.
I hate, And I mean HATE, sucker punch. I have lost over 30 of my beloved Pokemon in Pokemon insurgence from sucker punch. I've grown to love the elemental punches after sweeping the elite four on hard mode with my mega Delta gallade.

Slow

the echoing screaming reverb of a song
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 18, 2020
Pronouns
he/him/his
Hate: Selfdestruct, easily. It has the highest kill count out of any move in the series for me and has given me a hatred for Baltoys.

Love: Swords Dance. Always enjoyed having good setup moves like SD and DD, but being able to setup on a nonthreatening lead to a team of threats (i.e. DP Cynthia's Spiritomb) is invaluable. Plus, it's very fun to setup sweep when done correctly.

Riboo

Conqueror of the Mahogany Gym
Artist
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 24, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pokémon Type
Electric
Protect, it fuckin' wastes a turn and I'm just sitting here like >:V DIE ALREADY

:D Protect, Here I'm like - w- so much for your most powerful move, huh?

Dschubba

Has forgotten she's a diurnal creature.
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Female
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
...Focus Energy. Sure, sure it's not the biggest game breaker to ever exist. But in Nuzlockes, knowing my luck, it's often that moment of "prepare to have one mon gibbed by a crit, sucker.", it's so bad because it's like confusion: always better in the hands of the AI.

khorale

Ruler of the Pillow Fort
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 22, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
She enjoys showing off her artwork to others, and constantly discovers new techniques to experiment with
Hate - accuracy lowering moves such as sand attack, flash and double team. When you don't have a sure-hit move, it's a nightmare when your opponent sets up while you switch someone out. Double Team especially since it's not dependent on YOUR accuracy, but their evasiveness so once they get it up to a certain level then you're screwed.

Love - Leech seed. It's like poison powder and absorb put together, only it's automatic every turn and continues even when you switch pokemon.

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Obsessed with cowboy hats
Love - U-turn. Not a move I typically used before, but (minor spoilers for my run) ended up abusing the hell out of it on one of my team members. Being able to get some chip damage and switch to a tanky member to take the hit made so many battles run so smoothly
Hate - Any status inducing moves like Confuse Ray, Hypnosis, etc. Those moves always seem to suck on your Pokemon (they never hit, the status rarely lasts more than two turns) but when the NPC trainers use them, they suddenly have 95% accuracy and you Pokemon will hit itself in confusion every turn. Also Destiny Bond, but everyone knows the pain of that.

Zard

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 12, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Bide after it got priority is nasty

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Protip on Bide: if you have another priority move such as Quick Attack and you're faster, and the foe has just a sliver of health left, you can take it out before it has the chance to release all that energy. If you have Extreme Speed, it's guaranteed to strike before Bide does.

BadgerDaddy

DISAPPOINTED!
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 4, 2020
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Water, Dark
Pokédex Entry
This was a mistake!
Double Team and Sand Attack are the worst.
In a regular run they are annoying, but in a Nuzlocke, they feel like a giant ball of stress, especially when the rival keeps hitting you, and you keep missing every single move.

NotAtAll

Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 20, 2020
Never thought it would be a problem, but I started hating Bite. There is nothing wrong with it in any individual game, but the type switching caught me off guard recently.

Coming into last Rocket Executive fight in Goldenrod Radio Tower I knew he had a Houndoom. I knew he had Bite. I knew it was a Dark type move. I thought nothing bad will happen - I have appropriate level Graveler after all.

I switch Graveler in on a Bite and watch the health drop below half. Only then it hit me - it's SPECIAL. I knew Houndoom had good SpA, but since it had no Dark Pulse, I thought I was safe.

Only a clutch Quick Claw activation saved the run from being over right there and even then I lost two of my most important members.

Anyway, I hate moves that feel Physical, but aren't (and vice versa) and Bite being Physical in all but two gens really annoys me. It also really screws over Poochyena in gen 3 - I always want to use it, but alas.

P.S. The Houndoom in question had Faint Attack as well, so I was screwed regardless.

PageEmperor

Did you bring a light? (No?)
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Just a guy with way to many ongoing Nuzlockes.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
^^ I seriously don’t get at all why exactly was Dark a special type back then (and Ghost being physical too but thats neither here nor there). I mean, why? Do Bite and Crunch work by throwing your dentures at the opponent? I’m pretty sure all Dark attacks earlier on were physical contact, so why was it a special attacking type?

CasualGameFreak

Discord Resident Extraordinaire
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Grass
Pokédex Entry
Despite being a Grass-type, Casual is a flaming lesbian. Fire and Grass don't usually mix, but somehow it works out here.
^^ I seriously don’t get at all why exactly was Dark a special type back then (and Ghost being physical too but thats neither here nor there). I mean, why? Do Bite and Crunch work by throwing your dentures at the opponent? I’m pretty sure all Dark attacks earlier on were physical contact, so why was it a special attacking type?
Ghost was physical because in Gen I its only damaging attacks were Night Shade (which was fixed damage and thus physical/special was irrelevant) and Lick (decidedly physical, even to this day).

I'm not sure why Dark was special, but I'm going to guess that it's because if it were physical, then there would be 10 physical types and only 7 special types (at the time of Gen II, anyway). Making it Special meant that it was a more reasonable 9 physical, 8 special.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)