• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • No paparazzi clickbait here! Just a good old fashioned feature with exactly zero gossip about celebrities' love lives. Honest.Check out our spotlight of Rhema's storylocke, As Above, So Below.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
  • The results are in for the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza! Congratulations to everyone that placed this year!

• Episode Nine of The Writer's Locke podcast is now available for stream or download! This episode contains a discussion segment on gjinka nuzlockes, as well as the continuations of all our fabulous featured stories.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.

Nuzlocke Moves you have grown to love/hate thanks to Nuzlockes

PageEmperor

Did you bring a light? (No?)
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Just a guy with way to many ongoing Nuzlockes.
So what moves have you changed your opinion on thanks to nuzruns? Basically like those threads for the mons, now it's for the moves. For me...

Love: Perish song. It just feels so good when the opponent sends out their last mon, and you can use this, switch out, and stall until the opponent dies. It just feels so good.

Hate: Destiny bond. Words cannot express how much I despise this move now. You can never expect when the opponent will use it and if it happenes to use it before you kill them, it's over. Easily in my top 5 least favourite moves ever.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Like: Dragon Rage, when I get to use it.

Dislike: Dragon Rage, when it's used against me.

That being said, moves like Flail and Low Kick laid me low during my (abandoned) wonderlocke of Pokemon Moon, because they dealt major damage against me just when I didn't need it. I lost my Houndour to a Fletchling's Flail and my Lucario to a Bonsly's Low Kick. Talk about embarrassing deaths.

Salt&PepperBunny

Formerly MouseWithADinosaurTail
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Once a mouse, now evolved into a rabbit. She is feeling comfortable and clean in her new skin!
Hate: Acrobatics, Flail, Bide, Counter, Destiny Bond

I've never lost a mon to destiny bond, but it makes me incredibly nervous. I have however, lost pokemon to the other four. I hate those moves that just come out from nowhere and shank you! Either you don't expect them to do as much damage as they're gonna, or they just totally surprise you. I lost my charmeleon to a swablu (I believe) with acrobatics in my X flying monolocke, which lost me the run cause I had nothing to stand against the electric gym then. Bide did me pretty dirty on my first nuzlocke of pearl, and counter from a random riolu lost me my fletchling in another X flying monolocke I'm currently attempting. Not fun! Not fun!

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
Destiny Bond and the boom moves are the obvious pain in the ass attacks. The latter two are not so bad with the nerf from gen 5 onwards but before then most Geodudes and Koffings are a serious threat. Destiny Bond is mostly because of Karen's asshole Gengar to be honest since not a lot gets it besides Wobbuffet, which is mostly avoidable with repels. Counter is also really deadly for similar reasons.

Confuse Ray is annoying as well, it rarely works out when you use it but often does when the opponent does. Supersonic is even worse if you use it since it's 55% accurate, but it's also better for the opponent to have.

Stone Edge is really annoying too since enemies tend to crit with it while I usually miss, except for the one time I had a No Guard Machamp and it was awesome. Blue's Rhydon did try it but I got lucky and it missed with Stone Edge as I switched Meganium into it, predicting Earthquake. Least it wasn't Megahorn I guess...

satanicswirlix

Don't forget to bring a towel!
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Cute
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon's interests change more often than her pantalones. She's currently working on an animated nuzlocke, but we all know how that'll turn out!
fuck dragon rage man it's bullshit when the pokemon get it at an early level when you know they have less than base 40hp

I never thought I'd use non-attacking moves but now leech seed/toxic/protect/giga drain is a must in nuzlockes

pkmnMasterWheeler

Conqueror of the Blackthorn Gym
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Cute
Hate Counter, I actually lost, well shoulda lost, cause I called BS clause, a lv 60+ Mon I was training for the E4 on old trainer's, and a LV 35ish Pokemon my Pokemon had one shot multiple times before lived on 1 hp and OHKOd mine with Counter :'3 on the flip side

Love Swords Dance, I love it when I get a chance to set up the triple Swords Dance on a boss and just sweep em~ and even with only one use it's a useful power boost on mons that might not quite have enough fire power. Most recently it combo'd with Eviolite allowed my Dewott to sweep Ghetsis

TrueZero2

Ninja! Comic! Best Match!
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
Love: Grass Pledge (Gen 6 onwards), Water and Fire Pledges by extension.

The Physical/Special Split was not kind to Sceptile. Evolving Treecko at Level 16 left me with Mega Drain as my sole Grass Special move for the longest time. I ended up relying on Mega Evolution to make it worth a damn. Once I got the Rain Badge, I was looking for a move to replace Mega Drain. I saw Grass Pledge, looked it up, and realised that while the effect is garbage, the move is still a damn good basic special attack.

CasualGameFreak

Discord Resident Extraordinaire
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Grass
Pokédex Entry
Despite being a Grass-type, Casual is a flaming lesbian. Fire and Grass don't usually mix, but somehow it works out here.
Love: Work Up. There's a reason the first-gym Lillipup in Unova are so damn dangerous, and it's largely this. So putting it on my own Stoutland and using it to help two-shot Clay's Excadrill through resistance with Return is incredible, and that saved me from what could easily have been a wipe otherwise.

Hate: Bide. Whoever thought giving it priority was a good idea needs to be subjected to Chinese water torture.

Rhema

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/Her/Hers
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
She tries her best, but doesn't succeed. She gets what she wants but not what she needs.
Love- Double Team. I normally found it a waste of time and would rather just be attacking, but it seriously comes in handy sometimes. Get in three or more and you’re basically untouchable.

Hate- Any move that causes confusion to my team. 9 times out of 10 I seem to hurt myself rather than land an attack.

Neotornado

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
I need to buy a pro account? (He/Him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
Love: Giga drain (drain punch and horn leech are nice but are too rare to warrant mention), when I play nuzlockes with in-battle items disabled, anything that prolongs a pokemon's lifespan allows it to stay around for FAR longer. Whimsicott in particular made great use of this when I was playing through black recently.
Hate (that haven't been mentioned before): Gen V+ High jump kick. 130 base power hurts off almost anything, and it's a key reason why I'm always so nervous to fight scrafties and medichams.
Also, wrap and its clones. This one isn't actually because of gen I, this one's mainly because of touhoumon 1.8-based romhacks where they in a LOT of midgame movesets (all of them have been buffed to 60 base power and 90% accuracy except clamp, which was removed), Fire spin in particular has caused me way too many deaths in touhoumon purple because of how many fire types there are in the stretch between wattson and flannery. It's more rare in canon pokemon but any time it does show up is dangerous, especially X/Y+ where it now drains even more health in addition to trapping you.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Hate- Destiny Bond, Counter, Mirror Coat... wait, is this Wobbuffet? Yeah, I just hate Wobbuffet.

Love- pretty much any nondamaging move. Nuzlocking has made me realize how useful even moves like Growl can be in a pinch. I also love Reflect/Light Screen, especially in later gens when the TMs are reusable and you can switch between the two based on which battles are coming up.

Paine

The doctorate is in pain.
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/him; they/them; she/her
Pokémon Type
Psychic, ???
Pokédex Entry
It never quite knows what it's doing. Yet, somehow, things still get done.
Don't know if there's any I particularly hate now, I'll get back to you on that one |D

Love, though? Frost Breath. It's a low accuracy, yes... but holy shit. On my W2 play, I had a Walrien that was my only hope against Drayden, and he was horribly underleveled... but a timely Quick Claw kick in and Frost Breath's assured crit plus SE/STAB allowed him to pull off a near flawless sweep against the guy, it was beautiful.

The Man of Many Names

Formerly of the 4000+ Posts Club.
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 13, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Water, Steel
Pokédex Entry
With the pokedex number of 493, this Pokemon is essentially Arceus and fully intends to let the power get to his head.
Love: Thunderbolt, Psychic, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, etc. It's an easy answer because they're powerful moves and have 100% accuracy, but they've been helped me more often than screwed me over.

Hate: Rollout. I have only ever wiped once, and that was to a Marill in Alpha Sapphire that used Defense Curl and then destroyed my entire team with Rollout after Rollout. That crap scarred me for life.

Picket Furret

Antisocial Lurker
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Normal
Love: Brick Break/Headbutt

I don't love them for their effects (Which for Brick Break I admit I probably should have used a lot more) as much as I love the stats: 75 Attack, 15 Power Points, and %100 accuracy for each, best part was that they were teachable very early on in a few games and could be taught to a good portion of my party. Sure they wind up becoming irrelevant later on, but they do an amazingly good job keeping your party alive

Hate: Pursuit

The classic bane of switch-training, Pursuit was an especially huge nuisance to deal with since you never know which wilds knew the move nor do you know if they'll use it. Worst part is that the move is near-useless in solo runs since the AI rarely runs away, so I never use the move save for a needed STAB move, which even then winds up getting replaced with better ones

Yuriakashu

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/ They
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
It consumes graphite and word processors. If it is standing still, something is wrong.
This is such an interesting thread--! I agree with a lot of the answers already here, but here's mine:

Love: Bite. This one's tricky because I don't remember whether or not I liked the move before nuzlocking, but it's such a useful move. Physical move that does regular damage on rock types with the possibility of the opponent flinching.

Hate: Counter, Surf, and Magnitude. This one's easy because pain. Counter will come up later in my nuzlocke comic, so I don't want to give too many specifics, but anyone who's run HGSS knows the level grind pain of Dark Cave. I never saw Surf as a threat until I had a party of mostly fire-types, and Magnitude ... oof. I love the move Dig, but Magnitude honestly makes me afraid to use it now.

Killjoy

Oops! All Unova!
Artist
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
the ride never ends, and crying is not an emergency
Hate: honestly, all moves with accurace lesser than 90. You better bet that the opponent will in 99% make them hit your Pokemon and possibly crit, while you will most likely miss them everytime. There is nothing in between, but I SWEAR, last time all Blizzards, Fire Blasts and all Stone Edges just kept hitting my Pokemons, while they were able to miss with ICE BEAM (without any evasion/accuracy hax!). Bullshit.

Love: I.. really like the Bite clones (Ice Fang, you know those). Maybe not for the flinch hax, but I like when Pokemons act more like animals and you know.. bite their opponent. I just do. Oh and the Thunderbolt, Ice Beam and Flamethrower.

Mr Spaz

I caught the big– OH SHIT
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
"Your Majesty" is gender neutral. (he/him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying, Ghost
Hate: Anything with 90-95 Accuracy, hence one of my catchphrases in both Nuzlocke and competitive being "95 Accuracy is bullshit". In my recent Black 2 run, I was hit by Stone Edge and even Dynamic Punch without fail, yet I could barely land a Hammer Arm until I equipped a Wide Lens.

Ganon the Returning King

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 15, 2019
Hate: Boom moves. I rest my case

Love: 90/95 BP 100 Acc special moves. It's like the pickup truck of Pokemon: common, reliable, does a lot of work.

PageEmperor

Did you bring a light? (No?)
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Just a guy with way to many ongoing Nuzlockes.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To say I hate Hyper beam now would be an understatement. I just lost a team member in my randomiser to that useless wate of a move, and because I’m too tired to grind, this randomiser will probably end with a 5 mon team or become a sololocke.

Hyper beam is honestly bad on both sides. On the opponent’s side, it’s too overpowered, and on yours, the recharge will screw you over and many moves when STAB is included will outclass it.

A-K-TheLittleFairy

Conqueror of the Cinnabar Gym
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Tired or inspired. Loves Cappuccino.
Moves I definitely hate because of Nuzlockes are Destiny Bond, Counter, Mirror Coat, Metronome and Endeavor... those really can hit you out of nowhere and take down your best mon unexpectedly.
And don't even think about self-destruct and explosion...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)