• Drumroll please... The results for the 2020 Nuzforums Extravaganza are up! Congrats to all our participants and our winners this year for the 10th anniversary! #HappyNuzYear
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Nuzlocke Advice Video Games More Magical/Fantasy world?

Chocolatta

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 2, 2019
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
The Lazy Pokemon. Often autistic, they can be found lazily making art, eating, or playing video games all day.
Couldn't think of a better title, haha. Anyway, I'm planning a Black nuzlocke where the protag is half-demon, half-human. In this world, there are angels (Proffessor Juniper, her dad, and Cheren*), demons (protag, his dad), and humans (everyone else). Humans command their Pokemon, Angels guide theirs (show them what to do), and Demons possess theirs and take full control.

I probably don't need to say it, but all this is very much a work-in-progress.
*I wanted to give Juniper and Cedric more important roles than what they have in the games, so in my story, Juniper and Cheren are related.
If you guys wanted the world for your nuzlocke to be more magical/fantasy themed, what would you add/remove/change? I took a few mental notes from Antarja's Untold Nuzlocke as it's the most magical/fantasy-themed nuzlocke I can immediately think of.

More details:
Most Angels and Demons live in their own separate worlds. (Heaven/Hell, Overworld/Underworld, what have you)Angels and Demons use magic to hide themselves among Humans, but can see each other's illusions. Most have a reason to visit the Human world. You can make a contract with either, most Humans do so to have/do something that is impossible for Humans to do. Humans can't do much magic, the best they can do(that I decided) is contact Angels/Demons. Haven't thought a good reason yet. Or why any of the sapient races exist..Or where magic came from......

Last edited:

SimplyUnknown

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
Ok, this could be a long post so bear with me.

My first instinct when it comes to a magical themed nuzlocke is to make all the Pokemon Gijinka or anthropomorphic. That way you could constitute their natural powers as magic. Special moves can be channeled through talismans like weapons or jewelry while physical moves would be channeling power through their own bodies. However, that might not work for the nuzlocke that you're creating so let's move past that for now.

My second instinct is to make Pokemon spirits of some sort. Not all humans are trainers after all, so trainers would be people capable of channeling spirits, like Bianca. Cheren, being part angel, might be able to make contracts more easily with the Pokemon spirits than others while your protag can take control and bind the spirits to him thanks to his demonic heritage. It could be easier with weakened spirits which explains why you need to battle and weaken them in order to capture them.

Gyms might have to be altered as well, maybe made into shrines of some sort, or dojos? Considering that Unova is one of the more technologically advanced regions, I'd also get rid of a lot of the technology or alter it to make it more mystical. Instead of the Pokegear, maybe a contact spell that the protag can cast with the right items. I'd do some digging into things like Dungeons and Dragons and explore the magic system to get an idea of how things might work in a more magical setting.

One of the biggest things to do with a magical setting is to consider the ramifications of a world with magic. What would we lose, what would we gain, those sorts of things. If mages have a high role in this setting considering how Pokemon trainers are valued, maybe those who can't summon/control spirits are considered lesser. Would Team Plasma turn from wanting to separate humans and Pokemon for Pokemon's sake into wanting to separate them for humanity's sake? And what would that make N? A human who can summon spirits and communicate with them without a ritual like a demon or an angel? Maybe a druid, or part spirit himself?

You also have to look at how demons and angels interact with this new world. Is it something that they need to hide, or are angels/demons relatively accepted? Does your protag have a naturally demonic look to him or can he glamour himself to look more human? If Pokemon are separated from humans, will Team Plasma turn towards angels and demons next? Maybe they're priests who can banish both, or even capable of controlling angels and demons like Pokemon? Because what is the difference between them?

That's what immediately comes to mind, but I may think of more later. Anyways, I hope this helps and good luck with your nuzlocke!

Chocolatta

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 2, 2019
Pokémon Type
Dark, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
The Lazy Pokemon. Often autistic, they can be found lazily making art, eating, or playing video games all day.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's more details I didn't think to add(unfortunately):

Most Angels and Demons live in their own separate worlds. (Heaven/Hell, Overworld/Underworld, what have you)Angels and Demons use magic to hide themselves among Humans, but can see each other's illusions. Most have a reason to visit the Human world. You can make a contract with either, most Humans do so to have/do something that is impossible for Humans to do. Humans can't do much magic, the best they can do(that I decided) is contact Angels/Demons. Haven't thought a good reason yet. Or why any of the sapient races exist..Or where magic came from......

Sorry for the super scrambled reply. I thought my story was more like an embyro, but realized it really is a blastocyst.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)