• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Video Games Modded Terraria Server - Thorium / Calamity Expert Playthrough!

What Team Are We Gonna Be?!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Description
Hey, you. You're finally awake. You were trying to cross the border, right? Walked right into that Imperial ambush, same as us, and that thief over there.

Bread

Professional Sadsack
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 6, 2020
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He / Him
Pokémon Type
???
Pokédex Entry
When not lazing about, he writes random stories and trashes them within a blink of an eye.
Hey all! If you have been active on the Discord server, you may have noticed a few people talking about Terraria over the last couple weeks or so.

Well, it is my great pleasure to invite the community to our next playthrough-

Dr. Dastardly's Dangerous Dimension or:
How I Learned to Stop Ragnarök and Love Calamitas

Message [Sheer Heart Attack Requiem]#1612 on Discord to get the information for the server!

Once you boot up terraria, search for modloader on the official terraria forums (or just google it), installing it shouldn't be too much of a problem. From there, install the following mods:
Thorium
CalamityMod
Thorium + Calamity Covergence
Magic Storage
Boss Checklest
YetAnotherBossHealthbar

All of these can be installed in-game using the mod browser, DM neotornado on discord if you're having issues installing.

Generall rules of thumb:
Don't be a jackass for no real reason. This one's self-explanatory.
Try to be on the same team as everyone else. This will allow you to teleport to them in the event of a boss, which will make things far more managable overall.
You are allowed to bring over anything vanity-related, and any weapons/accessories up to blue rarity. We will be supplying free wormhole mirrors for new players, so don't worry about bringing wormhole potions over.
Try to keep your items in your own chest. If you aren't sure if you want something yourself, then put it in the community chest above the teleport to the solo chests.
Keep in mind those storages are still public! If you want a more personal storage, then use either the piggy bank or the defender's forge.

Other tips for calamity:
Bosses here are a lot more rough than the base game and thorium, focus more on dodging than tanking unless you're gearing up for a tank-focused build. (this is especially true with the post moon lord bosses!)
Revengance mode CAN be acitivated at the group's own choice. unlike expert mode, this CAN be changed whenever the group wants (as long as a boss isn't alive), without having to build a new world or suffering any drawbacks.
If something has "material" on its tooltip, talk to the guide. He can be more useful than the wikis at times, so don't be afraid to give him a chat!
The world will be corruption-based, so prepare accordingly (we did the crimson in the last run) Remember that the desert/sunken sea, jungle, and aquatic depths are on one side of the world, while the tundra, dungeon, and sulphuric sea/abyss are on the other side.
The family heirloom is form thorium. It can be worn for one defense, but is better suited for a post-moon lord item. Store it until then for a powerful reward!

As far as boss orderings go...
Slime god is really tricky and I'd only advise fighting it right before wall of flesh
Ragnarok is probably better fought after ceaseless void/storm weaver but before signus/polterghast, tbh. Maybe before even providence if our weapons are good enough

The available classes are:
Melee, Mage, and Ranger are the big three classes, they have the most content spread throughout the mods.
Summoner is an odd class in that it gets a LOT better once hardmode starts and thorium gives them access to direct weapons. Calamity also nerfs summons so that they do far less damage when you aren't holding a summoning item.
Thrower/Rogue is odd in that despite being the same class, its content is split between thorium and calamity, which means that buffs from one generally don't carry over to the other. As such, you probably want to go for content from one mod or the other. Out of the two, thorium's throwing weapons are harder to use, but can be more rewarding than calamity's if used properly.
Healer is an exclusive class to thorium, it focuses on healing people. While it CAN be used for damage, its pretty suboptimal compared to other classes with a few exceptions like the poisonous pricker.
Bard is the last class, also exclusive to thorium. It plays kind of like a mage that trades some damage output for the ability to buff other players with your weapons. While bard can fight well by themselves, the buffs are critical to making the most out of bard's arsenal, as they apply to your entire team within the radius, not just yourself.
If you spec into Bard or thorium's thrower, I'd suggest respeccing into another class once calamity's endgame gets under way because thorium's content is not supported past ragnarok, which is generally best fought right before calamity's endgame really gets going. (I'd suggest respeccing around providence/polterghast myself)

Last edited:

Fool

I’m too tired for this.
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
Call me whatever you want.
Pokémon Type
Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Don’t talk to me about BW2, ever. I don’t want to talk about it with you.
You already know I’m in, and I’m already set for being one Ranger.

Neotornado

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
I need to buy a pro account? (He/Him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
As the one who wrote that readme up above, I am also in. I'm probably going to go for healer with some non-boss spec into mage so I don't get bored with using poison pricker for 80% of my non-boss fights.
As for schedules, I'm almost always free from 9PM to 2 AM east cost time, Friday, Saturday, and for the most part Sunday I'm also free. (Monday-Thursday are when I have classes, and Mon-Wed all have night classes ending around 7-8 PM)

Raverist

Funishment Birb
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
Steel, Tough
Colour me intrigued and willing to snap the planet in two with a rogue setup.

SnackyTheSylph

a weapon to surpass metal gear
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
Alright, I am going to try to get in on this. I don't usually commit to one class when I play, but it sounds like a good idea, so I'll go for either ranged or melee I think.
As for schedules...meh. I'm not consistently available during the day, but I am in the evenings (EST). However, I do have school, so I won't be able to play every day. I'll try to hop on when other people are playing too.

EDIT: Oh, also, I got the mods and stuff, and there seem to be some miscellaneous items you start with that make the game harder...? Are we going to use any of those?

Last edited:

Neotornado

Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
EDIT: Oh, also, I got the mods and stuff, and there seem to be some miscellaneous items you start with that make the game harder...? Are we going to use any of those?
Bit late on the reply but I was thinking that we won't start with revengance mode but might pitch a group vote to turn it on if we feel like we're doing well enough. (thankfully, revengance mode is reversible at any time a boss isn't alive, unlike expert mode)
I highly doubt we'll be turning on deathmode though, since it really does not add much compared to the difficulty spike

Raverist

Funishment Birb
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
Steel, Tough
Well I mean there was a calamity update that just dropped today that made Death mode more fun (read: suffering) so if we're really crazy then that is an option.

though some of the new things added are genuinely fun.

Neotornado

Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Well I mean there was a calamity update that just dropped today that made Death mode more fun (read: suffering) so if we're really crazy then that is an option.

though some of the new things added are genuinely fun.
Yeah when I last checked it was literally just the two pets so I might need to check that in-game

Also going to note that we're probably gonna ban the thorium reality breaker items (everything else from the ragnarok is fine) until post-DoG since the self-heal makes you borderline unkillable outside of OHKOs.

Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 3, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
she/her/her/hers
Pokémon Type
Poison, Clever
Pokédex Entry
pangolin says trans rights
count me in as *probably* melee? no one else seems to be going for it and i'm fine with playing a melee for once.

Neotornado

Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
count me in as *probably* melee? no one else seems to be going for it and i'm fine with playing a melee for once.
right now it seems like bard is the one that's a super sitting duck because fool and someone else were both thinking about it as well (fool's mainly cautious because of its pre-hardmode status but we'll see.) Mage is also somewhat up for grabs since I'm the only one that's expressed interest in it.
That being said I'd suggest going a secondary melee/mage/ranger if you go bard since a majority of calamity's content won't be usable by you if you go pure bard.

Also server's going up tonight, hunt said he'll be on at 6 and I have the storage room set up for 8 storage spaces.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)