• The Writer's Locke will be on hiatus from now until August 2nd. Read more about it here. Thanks for sticking by us. Looking forward to seeing you all again when we're back!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Alola Written Log Other Media Letters From Alola ~ A Multi-Type USUM Monolocke ~ [Current Type: BUG]

Thread Description
UPDATE 10/06 - Mono Bug #2 [VS. Hala's Grand Trial]

Yuna

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy

"The Island Challengeーー

Explore the beautiful region of Alola and its bountiful fauna and flora while taking on the various Totem Pokemon which inhabit these grounds. If you can prove your strength to the four Island Kahunas, you may one day be able to call yourself a true Champion.

Various trainers from all across the world gather every year to take on said challenge. Some use a varied team of Pokemon from across all regions. Others remain loyal to one single type, wanting to prove that their type stands at the very top of the type chart hierarchy.

Follow 18 young trainers who each specialize in a different type on their journey to conquer the Alola Island Challenge and make their mentors in their home region proud.

Shall they be victorious? Or will the powerful Pokemon and trainers of Alola simply be too much for them?

Only time will tell."

--

This idea randomly sparked in my head the other day and it got me so excited, I immediately started writing up a custom ruleset and make the necessary preparations to get it started.

Recently I have been somewhat hooked on watching Monotype Hardcore Nuzlockes on YouTube, which definitely influenced this project. I have been wanting to attempt a Monolocke myself for quite some time and USUM are - in my opinion - the ideal games. Pokemon of all types are available on the first island, and most of them even before the first trial. The whole region itself is also somewhat themed about the different types with the trials and Z-crystals.

Playing through (basically) the same game 18 times would be rather dull though, so I wanted to do more than just a simple written log. I'm not a great writer, so writing a full fanfiction was out of my league. Instead I'll be making a compilation of short letters written by the different protagonists, each being an apprentice of a gym leader or E4 member from one of the other six regions, logging their journey in Alola.

For each type, I will post 13 parts, one for each trial. Each part may of course include various letters but they will be bundled together since this thread will be extremely long as is, so I'm trying to shorten it where I can. The parts will cover the following content:

Part I. Beginning of the game - Ilima's Trial
Part II. Ilima's Trial - Hala's Grand Trial
Part III. Hala's Grand Trial - Lana's Trial
Part IV. Lana's Trial - Kiawe's Trial
Part V. Kiawe's Trial - Mallow's Trial
Part VI. Mallow's Trial - Olivia's Grand Trial
Part VII. Olivia's Grand Trial - Sophocles's Trial
Part VIII. Sophocles's Trial - Acerola's Trial
Part IX. Acerola's Trial - Nanu's Grand Trial
Part X. Nanu's Grand Trial - Vast Poni Canyon Trial
Part XI. Vast Poni Canyon Trial - Mina's Trial
Part XII. Mina's Trial - Hapu's Grand Trial
Part XIII. The Alola League

The ruleset I will be using is largely inspired by a 'Hardcore Nuzlocke', but I did soften up some of the rules a little because USUM are fairly challenging games as is and I did not feel confident I could pull it off.

1. I may only catch the first Pokemon I encounter in each new area.

Monotype clause: Only Pokemon of the respective type will count towards this rule as they are the only ones I can actually put on the team.

1a. If there are no Pokemon of said type available in a specific area, I will be given a Token. This Token can be used to catch an additional Pokemon in another region, given as some types are often concentrated in certain areas rather than spread out across the region. However, there are TWO important limitations to the use of Tokens:

- I may only use a Token to get a possible second chance at getting a Pokemon which is ONLY available in that specific area.

E.g. Route 1 has Ledyba (daytime), Spinarak (nighttime), Caterpie and Grubbin as possible Bug type encounters. However, all four of these Pokemon (or their evolutions) are available in one or more other areas in Alola. Therefore, I can not use a re-roll to get two Pokemon from Route 1.

Brooklet Hill has Paras, Dewpider (daytime) and Surskit (nighttime) as possible Bug type encounters. If I get a Paras, I can use a Token to get a shot at either Dewpider or Surskit since they cannot be find anywhere else on the map.

- I may only use one Token per area, bringing my maximum amount of catches for any route/cave/etc. to two.

1b. I may catch Pokemon of different types if they later evolve in the right typing. In the opposite scenario, I am still allowed to catch the Pokemon, but I may never evolve it.

E.g. I can catch a Skorupi for my Mono Bug run, but I may not evolve it into Drapion. Similarly, I can catch a Skorupi for my Mono Dark run but then I have to evolve it into Drapion for it to be usable.

Dupes clause: I must skip over an encounter if it belongs to an evolution line of a Pokemon I have already caught in the past.

Shiny clause: If I encounter a shiny Pokemon, I may catch it regardless. Shiny normal types may be put on the team even if they were not the first encounter.

Sponsorship clause: This rule is unique to this challenge and ties in with the plot. I am giving myself the opportunity to trade over an additional egg with a Pokemon of the right type during the entirety of the challenge. (This will be a Pokemon which is either unavailable in Alola or limited to the post game) In the story, this Pokemon will be handed down to the protagonist from their mentor, through one of the Trial Captains or Kahuna's. Once again, there are a few limitations:

- I may only do this ONCE during the whole challenge.

- The Pokemon which hatches from the egg must match the typing of the Island Captain/Kahuna who hands it to the protagonist.

E.g. Hala can gift the player a Heracross egg in a Mono Bug Run, Mallow can gift the player a Lotad egg in a Mono Water run, etc.

2. All Pokemon must be nicknamed.

3. If a Pokemon faints, it is considered dead and must be permanently boxed or released.

4. Each protagonist in this challenge will have a 'partner' Pokemon which replaces the starter.

4a. Each partner Pokemon must be unique.
4b. The partner Pokemon has to be of the represented type from the moment it hatches from the egg. (E.g. Litten is not eligible for my Dark Mono run)
4c. The partner Pokemon must be native to the home region of the protagonist.
4d. The partner Pokemon must have at least one evolution. (Single stage Pokemon are often very overpowered early on, so this is to even the playing field)
4e. If the partner Pokemon dies at any point during the challenge, the challenge is considered lost and I must start over.

5. Battle mode must be put on SET.

6. I may only use a limited amount of items in battle aside from held items and Pokeballs.

- Healing items (potions/status healing items/etc.) are limited to a maximum of THREE per battle.

- X items are banned

7. I may not overlevel my Pokemon past the following level:

Note: I usually like to go by the highest level of the gym leader's ace. However, given the difficulty of this challenge + the ridiculous stat boosts and Z moves added to the boss battles, I added a couple of levels to each level cap. This should make it challenging without being utterly impossible. The Level Cap is only in effect until the start of the battle. Any levels earned while taking out the Totem or its allies are totally fair game.

Ilima's Trial: 14
Hala's Grand Trial: 18
Lana's Trial: 22
Kiawe's Trial: 25
Mallow's Trial: 27
Olivia's Grand Trial: 30
Sophocles' Trial: 35
Acerola's Trial: 38
Nanu's Grand Trial: 46
Vast Poni Canyon Trial: 53
Mina's Trial: 58
Alola League: 65

8. Pokemon Refresh is banned from this challenge since it gives the player unfair advantages.

9. The EXP. Share is fair game because it is as much of a risk as it is an advantage since I constantly have to keep an eye on the level cap.

10. The use of Z-powers is only prohibited during fights in which the opponents also uses Z-moves. E.g. Grand trials and the Alola League. They are banned during any other fight.

I considered randomizing the order of the types at first, but eventually I just went with an alphabetical order instead. Which means our first challenge will be a Bug Monolocke, which is both good and bad. Good because there is a wide array of Bug types available in Alola and quite a few of them are on the first island as well. However, it is also bad because Bug types tend to be relatively weak and some of the better ones like Scizor and Heracross are post-game. This is actually one of the reasons why I decided to insert the 'sponsorship clause' into the rules. I weighed my options and not having a single Rock resist for Olivia's Grand Trial was a big yikes.

Either way, I have rambled on for way too long already, so let's get this party started!

Name: Mariposa
Home region: Unova
Nature: Jolly
Mentor: Gym Leader Burgh
Partner Pokemon: Venipede

I started this challenge with loads of confidence and motivation but the more I began to study the different trainers and boss battles during the early part of the game, the more worried I got.

For one, I picked Rowlet as my starter because I thought this would give my rival Hau and advantage. I completely forgot that the rival now picks the starter which is WEAK to yours, so I kind of messed up there. ーー Or so I thought, because this actually made both the fight against the Principal in the Trainer School AND Ilima's Smeargle much harder. You don't fight Hau again until later, so at least I would have had a better team to counter his Litten by then.

Things were off to a rocky start right away as I hatched my 'starter' Venipede. The Venipede line is pretty bulky and Scolipede can hit decently hard as well. However, mine hatched with a Modest nature which is arguably one of the worst natures you can get on your Scolipede. Big F in the chat right there.

I tried not to let it bother me too much and grinded up Raisin Bran to lv. 5 before throwing my Rowlet into the abyss releasing Rowlet. Next I went to Route 1 to get my first encounter. With four possible Bug types to catch there, I was hoping for either a Caterpie or Grubbin because Ledyba is just...not good. Caterpie can be caught in Mele'mele Meadow after Ilima's Trial and Grubbin is available later on as well. Spinarak will be available later on as well and isn't a bad pick either, but I already have a Bug/Poison type.

My first encounter ended up being a Grubbin which I named Cheerios. She also has a Modest nature which will be great later on but kind of sucks for now because both Grubbin and Charjabug are physical attackers.

I did some very careful grinding in the grass because I actually forgot how high leveled some of the wild Pokemon are in early game USUM. Those lv. 7 Wingull are nothing to scoff at! I also had somewhat of a scary encounter against Youngster Kevin's Inkay in Hau'oli Outskirts. It set up a Reflect to render my already weakened physical attacks useless and also has super effective Peck. I got a lucky poison with Poison Sting on Venipede, which combined with the AI being stupid and not going for Peck most of the time, I got out unscathed.

The actual trainers at the Trainer School weren't too challenging despite one of them having a Bonsly. I played it smart by going for a not very effective Vicegrip to ensure the kill with Mud-Slap on the next turn, to avoid giving its Flail maximum power if I brought it down to 1 HP. The accuracy drops from Mud-Slap are also the only plan I have to take down the upcoming Litten.

Speaking of which, this battle made me SWEAT. Thankfully the game gives you some Oran Berries right before the battle so I equipped one on each of my two Pokemon. Grubbin has the highest Special Defense so I used her to lower its Accuracy with Mud-Slap and do...admittedly some very pathetic damage. Ember did a solid 70-ish% but with the Oran Berry, we could live another. After that I basically just continued spamming Mud-Slap, praying for dodges. I did have to use a Potion once but with some lucky hax, Grubbin managed to take down the Litten all by herself.

In the grass in Hau'oli City, I could use Island Scan to catch Froot Loops the Scatterbug, which evolved into Spewpa at lv. 10 after leveling it up just once. Spewpa has really nice physical defense but all its other stats are terrible so I don't see myself using her much until she evolves into her final stage.

Unfortunately, we have one more big battle against Ilima before that. There are quite a few trainers left before his trial in Verdant Cavern, so I didn't want to level up too much and risk going over the first level cap of 14. Ilima's Pokemon are lv. 10 and lv. 11 at this point, so I decided to get Venipede and Grubbin up to lv. 11 as well while Spewpa warms the bench at lv. 10.

My strategy going into this is a Rollout sweep with Venipede and it actually works out. I lead with her against the Yungoos and immediately start going for Defense Curls until its moves do very little damage to me. I also used a Potion to get up to as much health as I possibly could before pressing Rollout. This is a scary move to use in Nuzlockes because unless you miss, it locks you in and prevents you from healing or switching out. It takes 3 Rollout turns to take out the Yungoos, which is great because I can use as much power as I can for when Smeargle comes in.

Smeargle unfortunately outspeeds and does massive damage with Ember, but we survive and a turn 4 Rollout is enough to take it out from full. I was really scared it wouldn't OHKO because of the Modest nature but Venipede is stronger than I expected.

When going up to Route 2, I knew I would have to be careful with my EXP distribution. With the added areas such as Hau'oli Cemetry and Big Wave Beach, there's quite a few trainers after all. Thankfully, some of these areas are optional, so I opted to skip some for now and keep those trainers as a way to train up team members later into the challenge. Preschooler Dylan has Drifloon with Gust, which is Super Effective against my whole team. Thankfully, Grubbin with Bite is enough to deal with him although Aftermath leaves me at just 2 HP. Afterwards I realized I only survived because my Quick Claw activated on the first turn, which means I only had to take one Gust instead of two. Grubbin could take two non-crit Gusts, but Aftermath would have surely taken it out. A very close call!

I realize that my team is too weak to take on Gentleman Stanley and his Murkrow, so I decide to do some training on the wild Pokemon. This is risky because I'm getting dangerously close to the level cap and inside Verdant Cavern there's a few mandatory battles as well. However, I will be getting one more team member before then and a fair amount of trainers can be skipped till later.

After taking out Team Skull Grunt's Drowzee on Big Wave Beach, Spewpa evolved into Vivillon which will help out immensely against Totem Gumshoos.

So I spent at least five minutes stressing out over the upcoming Murkrow fight...Only to then discover I could skip it by sticking to the very right edge of the path. I'll have to be careful when backtracking, but I decided to be a coward and pass up on this battle for now.

Right before reaching the Pokemon Center in front of Verdant Cavern, I catch a Cutiefly and call him Honey Pops. Right now he is still quite weak and frail, but he will be a powerful Special attacker if we can evolve him into a Ribombee.

Before entering Verdant Cavern, I decided to level my entire team to lv. 13, raising their EXP. bar to the point where all of them could hit lv. 14 from taking on the Yungoos and Gumshoos right before the fight with the Totem Pokemon. Inside the Cavern, Vivillon does amazing against the Yungoos and the regular Gumshoos. She will be my main fighter against the Totem as well because as a fully evolved Pokemon, her stats are miles above those of my other team members.

Eventually the final room opens up and it is time for the real challenge. I am terrified of the battle against Totem Gumshoos and honestly expected to get wiped. I did have a plan, but it was not foolproof and relied pretty heavily on getting somewhat lucky in terms of paralyze hax.

I step into the Totem's Den and start the battle by Paralyzing the Gumshoos with Vivillon's Stun Spore because if I have learnt anything from watching competitive play, it's that the yellow color means a dead Pokemon. Thankfully, it just goes for Scary Face on the first turn which is fine since the paralysis cuts its speed in half anyway. The Yungoos is summoned next and I decided to paralyze it as well, hoping to get a few extra turns in the future.

My Vivillon has not taken any damage yet but Yungoos did get off a Leer, so I swap in my Venipede for part 2 of my strategy ー Lowering the Gumshoos defense by using Screesh. Yungoos gets off a pretty nasty attack on the switch which powered up by Stakeout, but I equipped the Sitrus Berry to heal a decent amount of health. The Gumshoos also gets paralyzed on this turn, which is great.

After Screeching the Totem twice, I decide it should be weak enough for me to switch in my Grubbin. So far, I've gotten really lucky with the paralyze hax as both Gumshoos and Yungoos get paralyzed on the turn I switch her in. One Bug Bite does about 80% to the Totem and once again, he gets paralyzed. The second Bug Bite seals the deal and Yungoos follows soon after, earning us a deathless victory against the first trial and the Normalium Z.

Raisin Bran (Venipede)

Lv. 15

Modest nature (+Sp Atk -Atk)

Swarm

Somewhat vain.

35 ll 18 ll 24 ll 18 ll 21 ll 24

Pursuit / Rollout / Poison Sting / Screech

Cheerios (Grubbin)

Lv. 14

Swarm

Quick tempered.

41 ll 24 ll 19 ll 22 ll 20 ll 19

Vice Grip / Bug Bite / Mud-Slap / Bite

Froot Loops (Vivillon)

Lv. 15

Quirky nature

Compound Eyes

Highly persistent.

49 ll 23 ll 23 ll 34 ll 20 ll 34

Protect / Light Screen / Stun Spore / Gust

Honey Pops (Cutiefly)

Lv. 14

Hasty nature (+Spd -Def)

Honey Gather

Sturdy body.

39 ll 21 ll 18 ll 23 ll 19 ll 33

Silver Wind / Fairy Wind / Stun Spore / Struggle Bug

None.

None.

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Oooh, I love the unique 'letters' take that this nuzlocke uses. And there's gonna be eighteen of these nuzlockes? That's quite a commitment!

Arawanhe

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 4, 2021
Another letter-locke! Maybe this will help me learn to appreciate SM/USUM more

Garnet

Onion Boy
🌱Featurer
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
I've definitely got a soft spot for Written Log runs that are written from the perspective of the in-game characters - The effort put into actually making the letters here is a big plus, too! :0 Lots of tricky moves to watch out for with Bug-types, but you seem to be handling things really well right now!

(I have to ask... Are Honey Pops - The cereal, that is - any good? Because I had some regular Pops for the first time in nearly two decades earlier today definitely not as part of a cursed experiment or anything, and all I could think was "this is like if you dusted a packing peanut with powdered sugar" lmao)

RisingMew

Currently yelling about Sw/Sh
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
A calm and nocturnal creature with a fondness for reading.
I am in AWE of your dedication here! USUM are difficult to nuzlocke unrestricted, but with pseudo-hardcore rules AND a monotype restriction? And you're doing EIGHTEEN of these?? Wow! Also, I'm a huge fan of the letter perspective since it definitely gives a bit more of a personal touch to the 'locke. Having each protagonist be the apprentice of a gym leader elsewhere in the Pokèmon world is a unique twist as well! I can't wait to see more :D

I wonder if some of the protags will bump into one another at points? There's definitely a lot of potential for something like that :0

Yuna

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oooh, I love the unique 'letters' take that this nuzlocke uses. And there's gonna be eighteen of these nuzlockes? That's quite a commitment!
That is the plan at least! Of course, there is no guarantee I will even win this first Nuzlocke. However, if I do lose, I will probably just move on to the next type. All of the protagonists are challengers are after all, so there is always the change they fail at completing the Island Challenge.

Another letter-locke! Maybe this will help me learn to appreciate SM/USUM more
I think USUM is a great game for Nuzlocking because it actually has a decent difficulty level and there's so many encounters you can get! (A lot of variety in terms of types as well, hence why I chose it for my Monolocke challenge)

I've definitely got a soft spot for Written Log runs that are written from the perspective of the in-game characters - The effort put into actually making the letters here is a big plus, too! :0 Lots of tricky moves to watch out for with Bug-types, but you seem to be handling things really well right now!

(I have to ask... Are Honey Pops - The cereal, that is - any good? Because I had some regular Pops for the first time in nearly two decades earlier today definitely not as part of a cursed experiment or anything, and all I could think was "this is like if you dusted a packing peanut with powdered sugar" lmao)
I'm glad you enjoy the letter format!

Bug types are definitely a challenging one to start with. My original plan was to stick with the actual Hardcore Nuzlocke rules but then I realized it was pretty much impossible to get past the teacher because I picked Rowlet as my original starter.

As for the Honey Pops question...I actually had no idea regular Pops existed. I've never seen them here in Belgium. I liked Honey Pops as a kid/teen but I haven't had them in years now. I've upgraded to granola and oatmeal, haha.

I am in AWE of your dedication here! USUM are difficult to nuzlocke unrestricted, but with pseudo-hardcore rules AND a monotype restriction? And you're doing EIGHTEEN of these?? Wow! Also, I'm a huge fan of the letter perspective since it definitely gives a bit more of a personal touch to the 'locke. Having each protagonist be the apprentice of a gym leader elsewhere in the Pokèmon world is a unique twist as well! I can't wait to see more :D

I wonder if some of the protags will bump into one another at points? There's definitely a lot of potential for something like that :0
That is such a cool idea but I only have one of each game and I'm doing these one after the other so-- I guess I could eventually make references to the past protagonists though. I'll keep that in mind!

After defeating Totem Gumshoos with no casualties, I was feeling quite confident. I spammed A throughout most of the Z-move tutorial because I already know all of this stuff anyway. It honestly is a shame how S/M and US/UM are sort of ruined by the insane amount of cut scenes and tutorials. I think Alola is a beautiful region with a great and diverse selection of Pokemon and the trials replacing the gyms is something I really enjoyed as well because it was a much needed breath of fresh air. The beginning of the game just drags on forever though.

Either way, route 3 did not cause me much trouble so it is time to head to Melemele Meadow to find Lillie and also get my final catch before facing Hala. I end up encountering a lv. 10 Caterpie, which summons a Butterfree as its ally after I go for Stun Spore to Paralyze it. If I catch the Butterfree, I'll get access to both Gust AND Confusion right away so I decide to KO the Caterpie and catch its evolution instead.

I did feel somewhat guilty right after because it did feel like I was bending the rules just a little, but I will let it slide this once. The Butterfree ends up having a Naughty nature too, almost as if it is mocking me for doing something rulebreaking.

She almost ended up dying during the grind as well. The Meadow is perfect to grind because all of the Cutiefly, Caterpie/Metapod and Cottonee which are weak to Gust. However, there is also a very low chance to run into Oricorio with STAB Peck. They are also extremely fast so Butterfree failed to run and got brought down to just 4 HP.

After Muesli was caught up with the team, I went inside Seaward Cavern to fetch Nebby. There is also a battle with the Ultra Recon Squad here. I'm playing Ultra Sun so I had to fight against Dulse and his lv. 13 Furfrou. Even though my own team was a few levels higher, this battle can still be scary. Furfrou definitely outdamaged my Vivillon with Headbutt but I got lucky since the AI went for Growl twice before actually attacking me, so I could take it out with a couple of Gusts by then.

As soon as you leave the Meadow with Lillie, Hau shows up for a battle. I forgot he challenges you right away, but thankfully Lillie had healed up my team.

Right now his team did not cause any trouble because Noibat was only lv. 11 and Pikachu lv. 12, but both have moves which are Super Effective against all or a fair amount of my team members, so I'll have to be cautious of that in the future. Thank god Noibat does not evolve until the late 40s because I do not look forward to facing a Noivern.

After taking out the remaining trainers on route 3, we can now challenge Ace Trainer Makana and his super OP Butterfree. I do not know what kind of drugs this guy has been feeding his Pokemon, but Silver Wind hit immensely hard.

I started out with Cutiefly against his Slowpoke to hit a Super Effective Silver Wind which only did a little over half, surprisingly. My Cutiefly was made drowsy with Yawn but since I was going to switch against the Butterfree anyway, I decided to go for another Silver Wind.

The AI is actually smart for once and switches on the turn I go for my second Silver Wind, which barely does anything to Butterfree as my Cutiefly falls asleep. I decide to switch to my own Butterfree and Silver Wind does about 40% damage from a resisted hit. Ouch. Thankfully, the next one does not crit so I can put the opposing Butterfree to sleep with Sleep Powder.

I get off a strong Gust on the guaranteed turn of sleep but I cannot risk a second turn wake up and heal using a Super Potion. The Butterfree does end up waking up and continues to go for Silver Wind. I'm not sure if it simply does not have Gust or if I got insanely lucky with the AI not going for it. Judging from the damage Silver Wind did, a STAB, Super Effective Gust would have definitely taken me out.

At least taking him out was worth it because he gives you the TM for Roost, which will be very useful on Butterfree since I am limited in terms of healing items I can use per battle.

Since Hala has all Fighting types and I have two strong Bug/Flying types with Gust AND Psybeam, I was feeling pretty confident now. However, on my way to the berry tree at the bottom of route 3, I end up running into a wild Hawlucha in the grass. Despite being only lv. 11, my lv. 17 Butterfree fails to run away with it and gets hit with a strong Wing Attack. I was convinced Butterfree was a goner since I hadn't healed yet after the battle with Makana, so she was only at about half health. By some sort of miracle, Muesli lives on 2 HP. This is the second time she has almost died in the span of an hour. This is not good for my heart.

The actual Grand Trial against Hala was a clean sweep with Muesli the Butterfree. I decided to give her the Sharp Beak instead of Vivillon since her Special Attack is just a little higher. Gust did big damage to all of Hala's Pokemon while there was little he could do in return. His Crabrawler in the end went for Leer, but did not even get a chance to fire off its Z move afterwards. After the victory, we get the Fightium Z from Hala as well as the Ride Pager to gain access to Tauros Charge.

Right after defeating Hala, I transferred over an Egg from my Pokemon Moon Save File which will be the one extra Pokemon I'm allowing myself to get during this entire playthrough. I know it is still quite early, but I feel like I will really need this Pokemon to stand a chance against Olivia on the next island. I will keep it on my party until it hatches naturally rather than running around for a bit, but there's only non-legendary Bug/Fighting type, so I'm sure you guys can guess what will hatch from the egg.

Tauros Charge and the ability to break rocks actually opens up a lot of extra areas on Melemele Island so I hit them all up to get all of the extra items and TMs. I also picked up the Flyinum Z because a lot of Bug types have the secondary Flying typing or can learn Flying type moves.

Raisin Bran (Venipede)

Lv. 17

Swarm

Somewhat vain.

38 ll 19 ll 26 ll 20 ll 24 ll 26

Pursuit / Rollout / Poison Sting / Screech

Cheerios (Grubbin)

Lv. 17

Swarm

Quick tempered.

47 ll 28 ll 22 ll 26 ll 24 ll 22

Vice Grip / Bug Bite / Spark / Bite

Froot Loops (Vivillon)

Lv. 17

Quirky nature

Compound Eyes

Highly persistent.

54 ll 25 ll 25 ll 38 ll 23 ll 38

Psybeam / Light Screen / Stun Spore / Gust

Honey Pops (Cutiefly)

Lv. 17

Hasty nature (+Spd -Def)

Honey Gather

Sturdy body.

45 ll 25 ll 20 ll 27 ll 23 ll 39

Silver Wind / Draining Kiss / Stun Spore / Struggle Bug

Muesli (Butterfree)

Lv. 17

Naughty nature (+Atk -SpDef)

Compound Eyes

Very finicky.

48 ll 24 ll 25 ll 39 ll 30 ll 33

Gust / Psybeam / Roost / Sleep Powder

??? (Egg)

None.

None.

Last edited:

Moon

Kanto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
They, Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Because they're the two rarest types, they're the rarest pokemon. Yes, that's logical. No, there aren't other Ghost/Ice types. Froslass doesn't exist.
oooooo
neat

RisingMew

Currently yelling about Sw/Sh
Artist
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
A calm and nocturnal creature with a fondness for reading.
Woo, congrats on completing the first island! I definitely did not have the same ease as you when it came to Melemele in my Ultra Sun 'locke, but that's probably because I found myself lacking in both special attackers and supereffective 'mon for the big fights ;o; Butterfree is a fantastic 'mon for the earlygame so I'm really stoked you got a chance to nab one and use it against Hala! I can't wait to see how Akala goes for you--especially the fire trial o.o

Yuna

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 5, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Woo, congrats on completing the first island! I definitely did not have the same ease as you when it came to Melemele in my Ultra Sun 'locke, but that's probably because I found myself lacking in both special attackers and supereffective 'mon for the big fights ;o; Butterfree is a fantastic 'mon for the earlygame so I'm really stoked you got a chance to nab one and use it against Hala! I can't wait to see how Akala goes for you--especially the fire trial o.o
I could have easily wiped to Totem Gumshoos if the AI was a little smarter at the start of the battle and if I did not get as lucky with Paralysis. In the end, Pokemon is a game of chance so the same battle can go drastically different depending on which moves the opponent goes for.

The fire trial is going to be scary for sure, but I am hoping to get a Dewpider from Brooklet Hill which should help me immensely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)