• Ten years and still kicking! Nominations are here for the 2020 Nuzforums Extravaganza! #HappyNuzYear
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
Resource icon

Comic Leftovers: A Hoenn Saga

Pcaara

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
Water, Dark, Dragon, Fighting, Ground, Cool, Cute, Tough, ???
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Going to be doing a live writing stream tonight at 8pm EST over on youtube! I'll be scripting chapter 13 of leftovers, as well as discussing alot of the decisions made. As this new arc marks a shift in certain requirements of me as a writer. Hope you can make it!

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
Today is the 5th anniversary of Leftovers! So shout out to all my baby boys and girls for both driving me crazy and keeping me sane all this time! And as some of you know, it's also my 25th birthday, so a big thanks to all of you who posted on my profile!!

As a gift to myself in 2015, I sat down and forced my way through anxiety to start leftovers, because I never would have otherwise.

So for my bday in 2020, I sat down and forced my way through anxiety and I now have the first chapter script buffer that i've had in 4 years!

So we're feeling pretty good over here. (just don't tell nobody we went past the 10 person quarantine limit heheh)

Salt&PepperBunny

Formerly MouseWithADinosaurTail
Artist
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 15, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Flying
Pokédex Entry
Rabbits are so human. Or perhaps, humans are so rabbit?
Congratulations on your anniversary! It's amazing to work on a comic that long! Very happy for you, and happy birthday!!!

also you're so pretty holy shit

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
Congratulations on your anniversary! It's amazing to work on a comic that long! Very happy for you, and happy birthday!!!

also you're so pretty holy shit
FJAFJS;FJDSFA omg thank you, but now i'm blushing!! hahahaha
It's honestly been a journey!

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
Just finished the cover for chapter 13!
Thus kickstarting what I'm referring to as the Slateport Arc

My plan for this year is and always has been to put out all 6-ish of the Slateport Arc chapters by the end. I've gotten 4/6 scripted, so I don't mind putting that out there so much anymore haha. But will I meet that goal? Guess we'll just have to wait and see...

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Obsessed with cowboy hats
Bring on the Kiba content I am ready and excited for whats in store!

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
Hey hey, it's been a BRICK haha. How is everyone holding up so far? Hopefully you all are doing good and staying safe. <3

Unfortunately i've not got any pages to show atm as i'm kind of on an unexpected extended hiatus with everything that's been happening. I've also been doing big art studies to help me draw faster, better and more efficiently which is exciting XD But I wanted to share this here for those of you who don't also follow me on deviantart or twitter!

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type

Impression Prompts:
1. What do you think of the character/how they're written so far?
2. What frustrates you most about the character/the way they're written so far?
3. What, if anything, do you want to know most about the character/ are you curious to find out about them

----------------------------------------

Hey hey! So, first this isn't mandatory participation but I would SUPER appreciate it if you did reply and leave your thoughts Second, those of you who have been following me since SWSH dropped know that I love myself some chairman Rose. But I can't deny that falling for his character hit me with some hard truths. Turns out you CAN, infact, be TOO subtle in your character writing/motivations.
Up to this point my mindset has been "alright i'll drop all of these character tidbits and dynamics in the bg while the plot takes precedence". But I've finally realized/accepted that the character dynamics ARE the plot. And in order for me to truly tell all of my characters' stories, i'm going to have to approach things with WAY more intentionality. Not that I wasn't intentional before. But things need to be way more explicit and less implicit, if that makes sense.

The next few chapters are SO SO exciting. Answering alot of questions about these characters I love. But I couldn't have done that without the feedback for you guys on my time over here, and knowing what you love/are confused about. So rather than forcing myself to live in this echo chamber because "im the writer" like my anxiety tells me I have to, i'm reaching out to you all directly as I really sit down and hammer out the next steps of this long ass tale.

Thanks so much if you choose to participate! Can't wait to see what you have for me! :dance:

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type

Here's my 2020 wrap up for Leftovers if anyone's interested!

I been throwing hands with my mental illnesses all year, and you know what? I've decided to be the bigger person. So anxiety and the rest of y'all can stay out in these 2020 streets if y'all want to -
I'm making moves in 2021. Period.
👏

Here's to a productive New Year~! And a fantastic one for Leftovers in particular!!

SnakeEyesDraws

yee to the haw
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 19, 2020
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Dragon
Pokédex Entry
Obsessed with cowboy hats
Hell yeah, absolutely loving the positive energy going forward!! It's so easy to be cynical about 2021 after the hellish landscape that was last year, but hey, things aren't gonna get better unless we actively try to make them better!
Absolutely love this piece, your compositions are always super easy to read and lots of fun with plenty of character interactions to notice. Gorgeous work!! Good luck in 2021, super excited to see what this year brings for Leftovers!

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
Hell yeah, absolutely loving the positive energy going forward!! It's so easy to be cynical about 2021 after the hellish landscape that was last year, but hey, things aren't gonna get better unless we actively try to make them better!
Absolutely love this piece, your compositions are always super easy to read and lots of fun with plenty of character interactions to notice. Gorgeous work!! Good luck in 2021, super excited to see what this year brings for Leftovers!
That's so true, I know alot of people going into this year are just expecting more of the same. And to be fair, our problems don't just reset once we make a full rotation around the sun BUT BUT BUT that's not gonna stop me from being hopeful and appreciative of whatever life lessons get thrown my way!

Thank you for the lovely compliment!! I'm confident enough now to proudly proclaim that character interactions are my bread and butter, so i'm glad you like how they turned out! Best of luck to you in 2021 as well, and i'll be awaiting more "By the Sword" with equal gusto my friend!

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type

Just wanted to go ahead and throw this out there now~ But Leftovers is planned to return weekly in February!

I'm aiming for the first Tuesday of the month, but I have to weigh out my buffer and see when i'm comfortable starting to whittle away at it. (apparently I have enough pages to last me until June done right now???)

That said, here is a progress chart over on DA that i'll be keeping updated!

My goal is to update consistently this entire year, so i've got some work to get done but i'm feeling good about my chances! (i mean right now i'm totally in shooting for the moon and landing among the stars mode) All I know is i'm gonna get as much done as possible while i'm unemployed! And as much planning done as I can so that when I do get a job I won't falter~

Til then, stay safe!

bumblebee

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 13, 2020
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/her/hers
Pokémon Type
Water, Flying
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon flits from new idea to new idea, never able to settle down.
I binged this entire series and holy hell is this incredible!!! 😍 I absolutely adore everything from the character designs to their interactions, they're all just so good!! Your art has improved tenfold over the past twelve chapters and I'm so psyched to see where it goes next!

Even though this is kinda late from when you posted the impressions prompt, I still wanted to respond it better late than never I guess 😅

I absolutely adore Sammy's and Asadi's relationship, I think that's the strongest one I've seen in the comic! Though that may be because the two of them have been in each other's company the most. I really like the side characters and how you've given each one an individual life and goal, it doesn't feel as though you just decided to make up these side characters on the fly; the attention to detail is just so good my lord!

I don't think there's anything that frustrates me about the characters!! Every single one of them has a reason to act the way they do. There is such care in how you're showing their progression towards change and I'm so pumped to see where they end up!

3. What, if anything, do you want to know most about the character/ are you curious to find out about them
Oh man, I think the character I'm most interested in learning more about is Kiba; the fact that she became a bit distant as soon as Celesse noticed that she was a shiny immediately piqued my interest. I really want to learn why she acts, as Cohen had "lightly" put it, the way she does, rushing in as though she can't be hurt at all. On that same vein, I want to learn more about Cohen!! He seems like a prideful sort of 'mon and I'm really curious as to why he's sticking with this team; he buts head with Kiba a lot and, at the best, he seems neutral towards Sammy. I wonder if it may be because he feels as though the rest of the team would struggle too much for him to leave in good conscience 🤔 As of right now, we've seen Cohen take a lot of brutal hits but stand back up, so he has to be strong enough to outlast those blows.

As for the side characters, I desperately want to know about Miss. Gidget, and why she had such a visceral reaction to seeing the Sea Fort.

oh boy this turned out longer than I had planned lmao

To sum up this long rant:
The characters are incredible, from the main to the side, and I just adore every single one of them!

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
I binged this entire series and holy hell is this incredible!!! 😍 I absolutely adore everything from the character designs to their interactions, they're all just so good!! Your art has improved tenfold over the past twelve chapters and I'm so psyched to see where it goes next!

Even though this is kinda late from when you posted the impressions prompt, I still wanted to respond it better late than never I guess 😅

I absolutely adore Sammy's and Asadi's relationship, I think that's the strongest one I've seen in the comic! Though that may be because the two of them have been in each other's company the most. I really like the side characters and how you've given each one an individual life and goal, it doesn't feel as though you just decided to make up these side characters on the fly; the attention to detail is just so good my lord!

I don't think there's anything that frustrates me about the characters!! Every single one of them has a reason to act the way they do. There is such care in how you're showing their progression towards change and I'm so pumped to see where they end up!

Oh man, I think the character I'm most interested in learning more about is Kiba; the fact that she became a bit distant as soon as Celesse noticed that she was a shiny immediately piqued my interest. I really want to learn why she acts, as Cohen had "lightly" put it, the way she does, rushing in as though she can't be hurt at all. On that same vein, I want to learn more about Cohen!! He seems like a prideful sort of 'mon and I'm really curious as to why he's sticking with this team; he buts head with Kiba a lot and, at the best, he seems neutral towards Sammy. I wonder if it may be because he feels as though the rest of the team would struggle too much for him to leave in good conscience 🤔 As of right now, we've seen Cohen take a lot of brutal hits but stand back up, so he has to be strong enough to outlast those blows.

As for the side characters, I desperately want to know about Miss. Gidget, and why she had such a visceral reaction to seeing the Sea Fort.

oh boy this turned out longer than I had planned lmao

To sum up this long rant:
The characters are incredible, from the main to the side, and I just adore every single one of them!
I'm---

HOLY SHIT??? you have the AUDACITY to come in here and make my day like that 😭😭

First of all, I just wanted you to know that I'm MAD APPRECIATIVE of your feedback!!!! Second, your comment on the impressions prompt is hilarious given earlier today I was literally about to bump the prompt everywhere to get more responses (since it's been a while) so seeing you respond to it, especially with fresh binging eyes, is GIVING ME LIFE.

Now to address individual things but not too specifically of course cause spoilers fajslkjs;dfj

1. Thank you!!!! My art has REALLY glowed up with these chapters i've been working on during my hiatus in particular, so i'm v. excited to show you guys!

2. I'm glad Sammy and Asadi's relationship resonates with you!! And that you enjoy my side characters, as well. I put alot of love into making Hoenn a living breathing place where the idea is that even if you just see someone once or twice, you'll still want to know their story. Fun fact, the entire trainer troupe was just supposed to be my attempt at background characters who are other kids taking the league challenge. And then I fell in love with them, and that happens alot throughout these chapters haha

Every single one of them has a reason to act the way they do. There is such care in how you're showing their progression towards change
This is so important to me??? Because, especially in earlier chapters where I just started the comic without much foundation, i'm always worried if my character motivations are coming through. I'm going to be alot more intentional about things going foward (especially since all of these characters have alot of baggage to work through that influences their actions today) but i'm glad that even in their current states you're able to glean their desires! (as muddied as they may be due to poor communication on both their parts and mine sometimes haha)

4. OH BOYYY *rubs hands*
Considering the focus/aim of this upcoming slateport arc I feel like you are going to be VERY fufilled, and i'm losing my mind just thinking about all the stuff that's coming up. Kiba and Cohen related, specifically. Actually, the whole team. Actually, honestly everyone. Everybody gets some shine in this next arc. I won't say anything on your assertions about any of the characters you mentioned here, but just know.
I see you OvO

Thanks for the long post!! Honestly there's nothing like getting a novel and being able to sit back and indulge in it (and as you can see, i'm also no short winded writer myself ^_^")

Glad you're enjoying Leftovers so far, and thanks for reading!!!

Krisantyne

oh no
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 10, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she
Pokémon Type
Water
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon clings to Sharpedo and shares in its prosperity. When its Sharpedo is attacked, Krisantyne will fight alongside it!
Hiii! I had a lot of fun reading this comic! ;v;

The ever changing art styles are so cool?? No matter what direction you take, it always looks amazing, and it made getting to a new chapter when reading even more exciting. The range!

I super love the version of Hoenn you've created, the environments are stunning and beautiful and full of life and character. The cities are seriously impressive in their details, but since I'm always weak for the sea, my favourite place so far was the Sea Fort with its spookiness and cool trees. :V
The overall culture has a great vibe too, with all these friendly, adventurous and wholesome characters. I see those issues brewing under the surface, though. 👀 Pokémon seem pretty unhappy when they have to get in their Pokéballs, and there are lots of places where they aren't allowed out. How do you bond with your Pokémon when they miss half of the journey? Humans got some work to do on how they view Pokémon...
And what's up with those Aberrants, huh? I love it when Pokémon stories have humans with special powers, that's a fun element from canon (Psychics, anyone?) that's rarely explored. In a world where animals have powers, it's not too farfetch'd that some humans have them, too. :'D

I'm perpetually a bit burned out from Hoenn since I played it too often and didn't enjoy ORAS much, but your story reminds me of what I love about it, and that's so nice. ;v; <3 Very excited for more!! Oh, and all your behind-the-scenes stuff about processes and such is delicious, too!

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
Hiii! I had a lot of fun reading this comic! ;v;

The ever changing art styles are so cool?? No matter what direction you take, it always looks amazing, and it made getting to a new chapter when reading even more exciting. The range!

I super love the version of Hoenn you've created, the environments are stunning and beautiful and full of life and character. The cities are seriously impressive in their details, but since I'm always weak for the sea, my favourite place so far was the Sea Fort with its spookiness and cool trees. :V
The overall culture has a great vibe too, with all these friendly, adventurous and wholesome characters. I see those issues brewing under the surface, though. 👀 Pokémon seem pretty unhappy when they have to get in their Pokéballs, and there are lots of places where they aren't allowed out. How do you bond with your Pokémon when they miss half of the journey? Humans got some work to do on how they view Pokémon...
And what's up with those Aberrants, huh? I love it when Pokémon stories have humans with special powers, that's a fun element from canon (Psychics, anyone?) that's rarely explored. In a world where animals have powers, it's not too farfetch'd that some humans have them, too. :'D

I'm perpetually a bit burned out from Hoenn since I played it too often and didn't enjoy ORAS much, but your story reminds me of what I love about it, and that's so nice. ;v; <3 Very excited for more!! Oh, and all your behind-the-scenes stuff about processes and such is delicious, too!
LFJSD;LFJASDL You guys are KILLING me with these long comments. Thank you ;;u;;

AAAA thanks! I'm glad you and everyone else are able to roll with the art style changes. A HUGE part of this project is active improvement, so I try something new every chap. I didn't even think about the fact that it would make seeing what style came next exciting :O That's very good to know!

Considering you've been burnt out on Hoenn before, it makes me really happy that you found new life in your love for it through my worldbuilding ;u; (or that it reminded you of what you love) And yeessss, i'm glad the culture came through too because as things go on, that aspect of Hoenn becomes more and more important. As for the sea fort - which I had a TON of fun designing so love that it's your favorite place! - we may possibly see this spooky place once more...

ALSO

Pokémon seem pretty unhappy when they have to get in their Pokéballs, and there are lots of places where they aren't allowed out. How do you bond with your Pokémon when they miss half of the journey? Humans got some work to do on how they view Pokémon...And what's up with those Aberrants, huh?
EHEHEEH *rubs hands* yeeesss... VERY GOOD OBSERVATION 👀

Lastly, i'm glad you enjoy all the behind the scenes stuff!! I really love sharing my process because working on this story has helped me learn alot of things / hard lessons and i'm damn sure gonna try my best to impart some of that wisdom to make the process easier for anyone else who wants to set out on a journey like this

Thanks for reading and leaving your wonderful insight!!

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type
Hullo Hullo~!

So, I made a "The Journey Thus Far" page after nearly a year of no updates and it reads like a scrolling fan edit of my own work and i'm very very proud of it ;;u;; (specifically the transitions, they were HARD)

This strip doesn't have EVERYTHING that's happened up to this point, but rather it includes things that will be directly addressed/ important to remember in the coming arc.

Without further ado, here it is! And, of course, SPOILERS haha (on DA if you want to read it there instead)

Pcaara

Artist
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 4, 2019
Pokémon Type

CHECK EM OUT HERE!

This series was originally patreon-exclusive, but I decided to move them to gumroad so that:
1) There's no monthly obligation to put them out, and
2) There's no monthly obligation/paywall for you guys to access them

I really love these sketchbooks and while there's only 3 out now, i'll be continuing to make them in the future. Also i'd like to stress that while donations are appreciated, you can infact get these for FREE. Don't feel bad if you can't afford to throw something my way at the moment, i'm definitely more concerned with getting these out there than the monetary benefit haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)