• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
Thread Description
Trouble in Kanto causes a young trainer to leave home to try and set things right!

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
Lucky you, a Nidoking is a hella good Pokemon to have on you in a nuzlocke!

Erosaf

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lucky you, a Nidoking is a hella good Pokemon to have on you in a nuzlocke!
Provided Nicolai lives that long! Also, aside from Pete, he is the only pokemon that Ella caught in my former run with Cynder the Charmander. So from here on out there's no chances of catching a pokemon that I would have used in that run. Except a Weedle...

Spr_3f_008.png
Spr_3f_016.png
Spr_3f_056.png
Spr_3f_025.png
Spr_3f_012.png
Spr_3f_033.png
It seemed to be a very long trek through Mount Moon. Gordon showed them the right way through, dealing with any Zubats they encountered before the things could even try anything. Pete had to step in whenever they accidentally disturbed a Paras, unless Cameron wanted to deal with them with his newly developed Confusion move.

“Haven’t you found those rocks yet? I thought that special detector of yours was supposed to be good fer it!”

Ella froze, almost tripping over Gordon who had also stopped at the loud voice up ahead in the dark.

“Sorry boss, it’s run out of power…”

“What the hell? You said it auto generates power didn’t you?”

“If you had let me, get outside for a while, yes. It needs the sun, or an electric Pokémon to restart it!”

Ella backed away from the voices, back around the corner they’d come around, just in case whoever these unfriendly folks heard were them at all.

Pete looked at her. “I don’t like this… those two were dressed in black, Ella..”

Ella winced. Black? She looked where Gordon was. “Maybe those … humans haven’t left your home after all.”

Gordon sighed. “This is the quickest way out of here, so we’re going to have to –“

Suddenly Ella was blinking quickly as the area she was standing in was lit up by something bright.

“Hey kid! You don’t belong down here! Scram!”

Ella frowned, blinking still as her eyes adjusted to the bright light, which she realised was a torch. That could be useful!

“No? It’s a path I need to take to get to where I’m going. Who gives you the right to tell me where I can and can’t go?”

The black wearing man, she noticed, had a big red R on his shirt. He came forward, glaring at her. “I told you to leave, kid. I don’t care where you’re going, no one is supposed to be in this cave!”

“Why not?” Martin snarled at him. “We’re going through, whether yeh like it or not!”

“Well … if you won’t listen to an adult's advice… I suppose I have no choice.” The man hurled a pokeball, and out came a Ratatta. “Bite them!”

Martin stomped forward. “Oh please..” He moved forward and kicked the Ratatta as it came close enough.

There was a crunching sound as the Ratatta was kicked far away from them into a wall of the cave.

“Gah. Go Zubat! Drain that stupid monkey!”

Pia sprang forward, sparking. “Get past me!” A second later the Zubat was crumpled on the ground as she electrocuted it.

“Now are you going to let us past?” Ella asked, looking at where the man had been. The torch was lying on the ground, abandoned. Huh. She walked forward to pick it up. “Well, this might be useful.”

“He fled when Pia attacked the Zubat,” Gordon said. “That Ratatta doesn’t look good.”

“I didn’t kill it, did I?” Martin asked, looking surprised.

“You don’t know your strength…” Ella said. She walked over to look at the Ratatta. It was lying on the ground, not moving from where it had slid down the wall after Martin had kicked it. She did not look over at where the Zubat had crashed to the ground, she had the feeling Pia had likely killed it. She did not think it would survive, given Pia was getting very strong.

“Coward!” Nicolai bellowed after the man, stomping toward Ella and the others. “Want me to round him up?”

“Nah, save your strength, Nicolai. I’ll bet that’s not the last we see of them,” Ella replied.

-

They walked a fair distance more, indeed fighting two more of the black wearing idiots. Pete sounded a lot bigger by the time the second one was beaten, and using the torch, they found out that he had finally become a Pidgeotto.

That was when Ella noticed a man in a white coat watching them.

“No, stay back! They’re both mine! I found them!”

“Both of what?” Ella asked, looking at him very confused. She couldn’t see what he was referring to at all! It didn’t help that she could see a Koffing and a Magnemite hovering by the man's side. Those I really do not want to fight! There was also a stinky looking pile of sludge that could only be a Grimer.

“We’re not interested in whatever you’ve got,” Steve replied. “We just want to head on further if that’s alright with you.”

“Fossils. Everyone likes fossils!” the man snapped. “Kohraki, use Poison Gas!”

Nicolai stomped forward. “Pete, try and blow that away while I deal with the Koffing!”

“On it!” Pete replied, flapping his much longer wings. Cameron also joined in as Nicolai ran forward, slamming horn first into the Koffing and knocking it to the ground.

The Grimer snorted. “Think that will work on me, you stupid purple rhino hothead?”

Nicolai gave an angry snort.

“Let me, Nicolai…” Cameron fluttered forward. “Grimers are no match for me…”

Nicolai snorted. “Fine..” he lumbered over to where Ella was.

“Well done Nicolai,” she said, scratching one of his ears.

She had just looked up to see Grimer slammed into the wall by Cameron’s confusion when electricity suddenly gave her friend a rather rude shock.

“Ooowwoowww!” Cameron shrieked.

Martin sprang forward, kicking at the Magnemite and making it let go of Cameron immediately. Cameron crashed to the ground, clearly overwhelmed by the electrical attack from the Magnemite.

“Cameron!” Ella hurried forward as the scientist kicked one of the fossils in her direction before running off after recalling his pokemon. Ella didn’t even notice which one, as she dropped to her knees beside the sizzling mess on the ground that had been her Butterfree.

Steve hurried forward and sprayed at the spot with a water gun, but it was to no avail. The Magnemite had shocked Cameron to a crisp, there was nothing left of him except a broken charred wingless body.

Nicolai roared in fury.

Gordon grimaced. “Now that … wasn’t nice..”

Ella winced, looking at the remains of her bug. You always wanted to fly Cameron … but we didn’t know you’d be gone so soon after you finally got your wings.

“We’re still here, Ella,” Steve murmured, resting his head against her shoulder. “We’re not going to leave you. We’ll find that asshole one day.”

“We will,” Pete said, landing beside them. He rested his head against her arm. “Maybe we should bury him… wouldn’t want the bats getting him…”

“I’ll help with that,” Gordon said. He moved away, heading toward one of the walls. “Oi, Martin, lend me a hand will you?”

“Sure..” Martin said glumly, for once not angry.
Spr_3f_008.png
Spr_3f_016.png
Spr_3f_056.png
Spr_3f_025.png
Spr_3f_033.png
I suppose I should have been a little more careful against that Magnemite, but Cameron was kicking butt through Mount Moon, so it is a shame that he fell. I"m sorry little guy. I never lose Butterfree this early in a run!

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
Farewell, sweet Cameron... we've all done it, gotten overconfident and left a team member out against somebody they're weak to, but owwww Q_Q

Vivace

Designated Meganium Defender
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
He/Him (They/Them is fine too)
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Fighting
  3. Rock
Pokédex Entry
The Lad Pokemon, Vivace's main powers are photoshop and chatting shit. Manages the unofficial nuzlocke football team.
Sorry to see Cameron as the first death, I liked the little guy...

Erosaf

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Farewell, sweet Cameron... we've all done it, gotten overconfident and left a team member out against somebody they're weak to, but owwww Q_Q
I had not expected that little annoying Magnemite to be able to shock him like that! So sad to see him gone, I never lose Butterfree so early! They usually help me kick Rocket butt!
Sorry to see Cameron as the first death, I liked the little guy...
So did I. It's sad to see him gone...
Sorry everyone, I completely missed the last update! Here it is!
Spr_3f_008.png
Spr_3f_017.png
Spr_3f_056.png
Spr_3f_025.png
Spr_3f_033.png
Spr_3f_074.png
Ella sighed as they finally emerged from the cave passage that had taken such a toll on them. She had not been happy to leave Cameron behind, but Gordon and Mankey had made sure to cover what remained of him in rocks and dirt, so that he would not become Zubat's meal. It had been Gordon’s idea, and she appreciated it, since he wasn’t even hers.

“Hey Pete, what’s with those long pink feathers?” Pia asked, when he landed down beside her once more. She was easily the smallest in the group now.

Pete shrugged, shaking his head a little, which jostled the longer feathers. “Part of being a Pidgeotto,” he said. “From what I know, it’ll become a bit more clear once I am a Pidgeot.”

Pia scampered up onto Ella’s shoulder. “Now I feel really little.”

Ella scratched between her ears. “You won’t always be.” She looked back at the cave entrance. Goodbye Cameron.. you won’t be forgotten. She sighed, turning to look at the Geodude sitting out in the sun nearby. “What about you Gordon? Are you going back inside?”

“Actually I think I will come with you,” Gordon replied. “Not much goes on in there, but I’ve had a more interesting time in the past week than I have for a long time.”

Ella gave him a small smile. “I can’t promise anything too interesting will happen, but if that is what you want to do, you’re more than welcome to join us.”

Gordon tapped the ground with one hand, his way of nodding. “Doesn’t matter if nothing too interesting happens. That doesn’t worry me. Like I said, I’ve already had a more interesting time with you as it is.”

Pia tapped on Ella’s head with her tail. “The guy in that white coat left this behind,” she said. She held out a small rock.

Ella took it, looking a bit closer. There was a shell embedded in the rock. “A fossil I think,” she replied, putting it in her bag. “See if we can get it restored when we get to Cinnabar. Thanks for picking it up, Pia..”

“No worries,” Pia replied. “It should be interesting to see who comes from that, since it's not like that shiny Old Amber you got at Pewter.”

Ella chuckled softly. “No, it's not,” she replied. She walked toward the city they could see down the ridge.

After quite a few battles, they reached a cobblestone path that led into the city.

“This place is huge!” Steve commented.

Ella nodded. “Far bigger than Pewter or Viridian,” she agreed. “Let’s see if we can find the pokemon center, so you guys can rest, then we will take a better look around.”

It was surprising they hadn’t been challenged at all at the gates. Hadn’t Brock said they might be?

Pete flew up a little higher, looking along the streets. “I think I see it,” he called before flying down to them.

Ella smiled up at him. “Which way do you think it is?”

Pete turned to lead the way. He seemed to enjoy helping them find things when he could get to a vantage point like that. He was always willing to do so.

Ella followed and soon they did indeed reach the right building.

Ten minutes later

“I don’t believe it! You made it here too?”

Ella turned at the voice behind her as she turned away from the pokemon center. “Ryan! Good to see you. How’s Bailey?”

Ryan shrugged. “Why don’t I show you in a battle?”

Ella smiled faintly. “Alright. Let’s hope he’s able to defend himself better this time!” She was glad Steve was in his pokeball, like the others were. This was going to be one interesting battle!

Ryan nodded, walking toward where there was yet again a battlefield near the pokemon center. “This do?”

Ella nodded as she went to the far end. “Sure will.”

“Go, Patterson!” Out came a Pidgeotto.

Ella smiled slightly. He’s big, but is he bigger? She raised a pokeball. “Pete, this one’s all yours!” She’d heard over time that Pete had been bullied by a Pidgey by that name. However, she knew he could handle himself in a battle these days. He’d be fine.

“Well well,” Patterson said, looking over as Pete arrived. “If it isn’t little Pete..”

“Patterson? You old annoying tailfeather! I’m not a weakling anymore!” Pete retorted as he hovered in the air.

“Sand Attack, Patterson!” Ryan called.

Pete snorted, shifting a wing to cover his head from the volley of sand that Patterson kicked up with his feet. “Nice try…”

“Quick Attack, Pete!” Ella called.

Pete nodded and flew swiftly toward Patterson, slamming into him before the Pidgeotto could even react.

“What the? How are you that strong?” Patterson hissed.

The two Pidgeotto darted around in the air, either dodging or striking at the other. Eventually after a rather hard Tackle from Pete, Patterson hit the ground, tried to lift himself up with his wings but slumped back down again.

Pete landed on the ground. “Who is next?”

Ryan recalled Patterson, before raising another pokeball. “Let’s see how you handle this one. Reaper, get out here!”

Out arrived a Ratatta.

“Pete come back,” Ella called, letting him fly over to her side. “I’ll use you instead, Martin!” She released him.

Martin looked down at the rat. “Really? This will be too easy!”

“We’ll see about that!” Reaper retorted.

“Hyper Fang!”

“Low Kick,” Ella countered.

Martin yelped when Reaper sank his teeth into his arm, before kicking hard at the purple rat hanging from his arm. Reaper was sent flying and crashed into a nearby tree. He did not get up.

Ryan scowled. “What the? Reaper’s stronger than that!”

Ella shrugged. “Type matchups, Ryan..”

Ryan shook his head. “Alright… Bailey, you’re up!”

Ella smiled slightly when Bailey arrived before she blinked. “Still a Bulbasaur, Ryan? Really?” She shook her head. “Nicolai, let's see how you go against him!”

Martin retreated to her side, as Nicolai arrived on the battlefield. “What’s this little thing?” he asked, leering down at Bailey.

Bailey blinked looking up at him.

“Come back Bailey. Go, Arrow!”

Out came a yellow Pokémon Ella had not seen before. “What in the?” It looked like it was sleeping!

“Meet Arrow, my Abra!” Ryan said. “What are you going to do against him?”

Ella thought for a few moments. “Nicolai, come back. Steve, this one's all yours!” She did notice that Bailey had simply returned to Ryan’s side instead of his pokeball. Interesting.

Out Steve came, and waved at Bailey. “Nice to see you Bailey..”

“And you, Steve… wow you look different..”

Steve nodded. “I evolved,” he replied, before eyeing Arrow. “Uh Ella? What is that?”

“That’s an Abra apparently,” Ella replied. “I want you to try and bite him.”

Steve nodded, running forward to try and do so. The Abra vanished from sight right as he reached him, appearing several meters behind him. “What the?”

Ella frowned. Clearly this wasn’t going to work as well as she had thought. “Come back Steve… Pia, you’re faster than that thing.. come and give me a hand.”

Pia leapt forward from her pokeball. “Oh, now this looks like an interesting fight.”

Ella nodded. “He’s fast, Pia, so be ready for him to try and dodge you.”

Pia nodded. “Let’s see what I can do about that!” She moved forward, and when Arrow made to move, she suddenly sparked at him, stopping him from moving again.

“You paralyzed Arrow?” Ryan asked, staring at Pia.

“Yup. I’m not wasting energy chasing him,” she replied, sounding quite smug.

Ella smiled. “Gotta be ready for anything, Ryan. Thunder Shock, Pia!”

“On it!” Pia gave Arrow a nasty shock, which saw him fall backward to lie on his back, not able to fight any longer.

“Guess it's up to you, Bailey,” Ryan said.

Bailey stomped forward. “Right.”

Ella smiled slightly. It was so good hearing Ryan using his pokemon’s names, but that wasn’t going to help him win this battle. “Pete? Gust if you will!”

Pete flew forward as Pia returned to Ella’s arms. He started to flap his wings quite vigorously. Bailey tried to swipe at him with vines extended from under his bulb but the wind produced from Pete’s wings was too strong. So he tried to get Pete with Stun Spore, again being blocked by wind before suddenly being picked up and tossed backward straight into Ryan who gasped and fell back to land on his butt.

“You’re getting strong, Ella, but don’t expect things to go so well next time we win!” Ryan said. “Oh, and go see Bill up on the cape, he’s got some really rare pokemon.”

“We’ll see about that,” Ella said. Something came to mind that she’d heard while in the Pokemon Center earlier. “I heard something about a gang up there?”

“I didn’t see them,” Ryan replied. “Then again we don’t pay much attention to weaklings so… eh. See ya later, if you can ever catch up!” He headed off.

Ella sighed. Ryan thought she should head over that way too? Might as well see who else they might meet at least.

Not that it really mattered. She would get things done on her own. That much she knew. Pete smiled slightly. “Now that was a better fight than some we’ve had but really, who was the tailfeather? You know him… but from where?”

“He left Pallet Town with me, Pete,” Ella replied. “Or rather, he ran off as soon as he could with Bailey once Steve showed him that grass types can’t always win over water.”

Steve nodded. “Bailey and I have known each other for years, but even so, he’s never been much of a fighter. Last time we saw the kid, he was refusing to even acknowledge that Bailey even had a name.”

“He can be a bit of a jerk,” Ella said. “However, we’ve known each other for years. I’m kind of used to his attitude though he is getting worse these days.”

It would have been nice to travel together instead of separate. She managed however, since Steve had been extremely reliable. She looked around. “Hey Steve.. is that fresh water?”

Until this point, they’d been relying on the water that he fired from his mouth for drinking water, as any water they’d encountered so far had looked … very unusual.

“Let me have a look..” Steve walked over toward where the river was, before turning around and sticking the tip of his tail in. He stood there for a few moments. “Yup, it's freshwater!”

Ella frowned. “I wonder why none of it ever makes it to the other side of Mount Moon then…” Things were decidedly greener over this side of the mountain. It seemed strange.

“Maybe those thugs … are blocking the trade route?” Pia asked.

Ella frowned. “Well, if they are, that’s not going to last much longer. Let’s see what we can do about the Nugget Gang we heard about while we were in the Pokemon Center. Apparently they’re hoarding real gold nuggets, and we could use the extra money from selling them.”

Martin laughed. “Sounds like a good plan fer meh!”

The group headed toward what looked like a dilapidated bridge that led over the slow but flowing river.

What followed next was a series of battles that barely even lasted five minutes each, as Ella’s pokemon swept the bridge with each pokemon that was sent out to challenge her. Finally at the other end there was a man dressed in black just like the guys in the cave.

Steve didn’t even give him a chance to attack them, blasting hard with his Water Gun.

Pia sparked as well, but fortunately didn’t actually zap the man. “Another one of you?”

Ella narrowed her eyes at the man in front of her. “What are you doing here? Don’t you know that the idiots dressed like you in Mount Moon were sent running?”

“You could join us kid,” the man said. “You’d go a long way with Team Rocket…”
“What? Are you kidding me? My big brother kicked your goons' butts!” Ella snapped. “What the hell are you doing back here!”

The man laughed, tossing something gold at her. “No one tells Team Rocket what to do aside from our boss..” He snorted. “Especially not some whiny brat like you. Forget it. We wouldn’t want you around us!”

Ella shook her head as the man ran off out of sight. If Drake was around to hear that… you’d have serious issues. Guess I’ll have to finish what he started! She wasn’t going to let these idiots get around as much as they wanted to. They had made things so hard for her brother when he had left Pallet Town, he’d told her about them in the letters he sent home from time to time. I won’t let his work go to waste! That is not something I can allow. They can’t come back and spread the terror they were spreading back then again!

She might not have recognised who they were in Mount Moon, but seeing one of them out and about, in plain daylight had been enough to cement the fact that Team Rocket had come back into her mind. I won’t fail to deal with you, though I do wonder who the boss is. That was one thing Red had never mentioned in his letters at all. Perhaps he had never been able to work out who it was himself!

She sighed as she started walking along the path, after placing the golden nugget in her bag. Once she got back to Cerulean, she would sell the silly little golden thing. All I need is the money, it's not worth anything else. She certainly didn’t need the dead weight that it was going to be while she went up to the cape to meet this Bill fellow.

Don’t worry Drake, we will get to the bottom of this reappearance of Team Rocket. It might be that they were to blame for all the trouble that had been going on since her brother had vanished from sight. They’d certainly been up to no good in Mount Moon, considering they’d tried to stop her from going where she had wanted to get to!

“Ella? Why are you so bothered by who he claimed to be?” Steve asked.

Ella looked down at him. “Drake said he’d dealt with them. Made sure that they were disbanded. Seeing one of them tells me that they lied to him, and decided that they’d make a reappearance now that he and Cheun are no longer around to kick their tails if they showed up again.”

Steve growled. “I guess we’ll have to deal with them then. I hope they had no part in either of those two disappearing. Cheun and I might not have always gotten along, but we were friends. It’s been so long since she left Pallet as a little Charmander.”

Ella nodded. She knew how much Steve and Bailey had enjoyed hearing about what Drake and Cheun had gotten up to from the letters that Drake sent home.

“We will figure this out, Steve…”
Steve nodded. “I know you will, Ella. We will find out what happened to Drake and to Cheun.”

There were plenty of kids up here to train against at least, and on the way through Ella caught an Oddish and a Weedle who wanted to join them. She sent both straight to the Professor so they could help out at Pallet Town for the meantime as she had enough Pokémon to handle.

She smiled at her team. They were all doing well, everyone was determined to win any battles they came up against after Cameron had died. As a result it had only taken them two days to approach the cape where they should find Bill. There was a house they could see, but there was a broken window facing them.

Pete flew toward the house, looking around before he returned. “There is something in there … but I don’t know what to make of the smell though…”

Ella blinked. “What do you mean?”

“Looks like a Clefairy… but smells like there’s a human in there, but I could only see the Clefairy in any of the rooms..”

Ella raised her eyebrows. “That makes very little sense.”

Pete shook his head. “This is not something I can really explain. I think we need to just get over there so you can see what is in there for yourself.”
Spr_3f_008.png
Spr_3f_017.png
Spr_3f_056.png
Spr_3f_025.png
Spr_3f_033.png
Spr_3f_074.png
Rione the Ratatta
Olivia the Oddish
Wilma the Weedle
1- Cameron the Butterfree - sparked to death by a Magnemite in Mount Moon.

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Fair warning--a problem with linking images directly from Bulbapedia is that the links very often break. I tend to download sprites instead, and then re-upload them to imgur for the links. Takes a wee bit more time, but then you don't get so many broken links XP

Glad you didn't lose anybody to Ryan or on Nugget Bridge! Good work, Ella!

Erosaf

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Sorry for the broken team links, I'm working on it. Also sorry the chapter is late, I was exhausted yesterday!
Fair warning--a problem with linking images directly from Bulbapedia is that the links very often break. I tend to download sprites instead, and then re-upload them to imgur for the links. Takes a wee bit more time, but then you don't get so many broken links XP

Glad you didn't lose anybody to Ryan or on Nugget Bridge! Good work, Ella!
Eek. I guess I'll have to work something out for the breaking links. Darn! I tried downloading and got these stupid things that I couldn't open. Annoying.

Yeah, Ryan doesn't get to make any kills here!
Steve the Wartortle
Pete the Pidgeotto
Martin the Mankey
Pia the Pikachu
Nicolai the Nidorino
Gordon the Geodude
When they got closer to the house, Ella knew they were going to find something unusual inside. There was no way around that fact, even if she wanted to believe that Pete had been wrong.

The door opened when she went to knock, which was eery in itself. Does whoever lives here never lock their door? Especially with these Rockets around again. That seemed to be just asking for trouble…

Ella sighed as Pete led them toward the room that he had seen … something in. Trying any light switches they passed had shown her that the house was completely powerless. Time to find out what he had seen, so they could get to the bottom of this Clefairy who didn’t smell like one.

At first, when the door opened, there appeared to be no one in there!

“Hello?” Ella asked, looking around. There was a lot of old looking machinery in here, including two really big tube like constructions against the far wall. They appeared to have sliding doors to them, and one was closed.

A movement behind them had her turning around really quick, only to come face to face with the Clefairy. There was something oddly human about the eyes though.

“Please help me,” Clefairy said. “I’m not meant to be a Clefairy… I’m a human.. please..”

Ella gave the odd looking creature a confused look. He sounded like he was in pain too. “How could you look like that if you’re human?”

“The Rockets… they came back, they wanted me to tell them where someone had gone, but I had no idea. They threatened to do this to me and to Cara, my Clefairy if I did not answer them,” the Clefairy said.

“So what did you tell them? Who were they looking for?”

“I don’t know who it was, I hadn’t met whoever the kid was,” Clefairy replied. “They said he had been seen coming up here, but that doesn’t mean that he came to me, for anything. I live up here on my own, doing my research with my Pokémon.”

Ella frowned. “I see. Well, how can we possibly get you back to being human? I’m no good with electronics and your power seems to not be working.”

“If we could power up that machine, it’s a teleporter.. we might be able to get me back to normal,” the Clefairy said, turning and pointing a short arm at the tubes. “I was trying to see if it was possible to teleport living things from one place to another when they came. I’d just succeeded in getting Cara from one end to the other … she was still in one of the tubes.``

Again he indicated which one. Pete immediately flew over and looked in the glass panel at the top.

“Looks like your friend is still in there, but she looks like she’s unconscious,” he said as he flew back to land on the rather messy desk.

“I hope she’s alright..” the Clefairy said. He sighed. “You wouldn’t happen to have any electric pokemon would you? One of them could safely get my electricity working with a little effort. Those doors won’t open without it, so I can’t help Cara..”

“The teleporter … Cara and I both knew not to use it if someone was already in there…” Bill said.

Ella frowned hearing that. It would be wrong to leave Cara where she was, and she was angered to know that Team Rocket had stooped to such a level! It appeared this was why he had said that they shouldn’t have tried to use it. “Where would Pia have to go to help with this?”

“If you go outside, there is a panel on the roof. If your friend shocks it for a minute or two, it should kickstart my backup generator and get the house humming again,” the Clefairy said. “I tried to tell them not to use the machine, but they only seemed to find it quite amusing that I was worried about my friend and not about what they might do to me if I refused to answer their questions.”

Ella scowled. “OF course, you would be. They trust us to keep them safe. A trainer who doesn’t do that shouldn’t have a Pokemon who is their friend or companion.”

She sent Pia out of her Pokeball and told her what she needed her to do. A moment later Pia ran off toward the front door, with Nicolai guiding her out to the entrance. He could handle it if she accidentally shocked him, it wouldn’t hurt him like it would any of the others.

It was a few minutes before Ella heard a machine start up, and soon the house was lit up as the power generator got to work.

“Okay, now what do I have to do to help you?” Ella asked.

“The computer, there’s a Cell Separator on there. If you activate that once I’m in the other tube, hopefully it’ll put me back in my real body and let Cara out as well,” the Clefairy replied.

Ella nodded, walking over to the computer. Once it was booted up, it only took her a few moments to find the correct button to press. “Whenever you’re ready, we’ll give this a try.”

The Clefairy nodded and made toward the empty tube, which Pete was standing next to, in case he didn’t remember which one he had come out of after the Rockets had had their fun with him.

Ella shook her head as she waited for him to get to the machine and into his tube. At least he was somewhat quick about it on those little legs. “Come back away from there, Pete,” she called once the tube closed behind the odd little Clefairy.

Pete nodded and gilded back over to her. “I wouldn’t want to get messed up in this strange experiment,” he said. “It seems rather vile to me.”

Ella nodded in agreement. “I have to agree with you there, Pete. Who knows what will happen once I tap this button.” She had to hope that the Clefairy was alright, once the human was separated from her. That said, she tapped the button and watched as the machinery flared up, different parts flickering as it did what it needed to do for the two in its chambers.

When the door to the chamber that their odd Clefairy slid open once more, she watched as the man, not too much older than her, maybe four years at most, looked around, appearing to be a little dazed. He suddenly snapped out of it and hurried to where Cara was still stuck.

“Cara..” He sounded quite unhappy when he got her out. “Wake up..”

The Clefairy didn’t react for the moment.

“Cara?”

Ella winced. “You might want to take her down to Cerulean to the Pokemon Center…”

The man sighed. “I try not to, but this time I might. I don’t want to lose her because of those thugs! Found her quite some time ago, we’ve been living here since.”
Ella nodded. “I understand, but it might be the best thing for her this time.”

Pia had returned and had climbed up on her shoulder as she seemed to like sitting there. “Are we heading back there too, Ella?”

Ella nodded. “Yes.” She looked at the man. “We can accompany you if you like.”

“Thank you,” the man said. “Oh, when I found her, I found something else. Cara won’t ever use it, and seeing as you’ve got that Nidorino…”

Ella’s eyes widened as he picked up Cara before heading over to his desk and searching in a drawer, before holding out a small dark grey stone that had golden lines running diagonally across it.

“Here, you might want to use this at some point so he can become a Nidoking.”

Ella stared at the stone as he dropped it into her hand. “Thank you.” She looked at Nicolai. “One day, we’ll find the right time to use this.”

Nicolai peered up at it. “A Moon Stone? I’ve never even seen one!” He looked at the man. “Thank you.”
Steve the Wartortle
Pete the Pidgeotto
Martin the Mankey
Pia the Pikachu
Nicolai the Nidorino
Gordon the Geodude
Rione the Ratatta
Olivia the Oddish
Wilma the Weedle
1- Cameron the Butterfree - sparked to death by a Magnemite in Mount Moon.

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
You know, I think this is one of the first stories I've seen where whatever Pokemon Bill was combined with lives, or at least has a chance to? The rest of us cannot resist the Angst :v

Erosaf

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
You know, I think this is one of the first stories I've seen where whatever Pokemon Bill was combined with lives, or at least has a chance to? The rest of us cannot resist the Angst :v
Thanks! I couldn't do it. Never ran into a Clefairy in Mount Moon, so had to let this one live. I decided to let Ella get there in time to help, though this also raises the question as to why Ryan didn't help!
Steve the Wartortle, Pete the Pidgeotto, Martin the Mankey, Pia the Pikachu, Nicolai the Nidorino, Gordon the Geodude
As they made their way back toward the gym, Ella was surprised that no one had bothered to ask what she was doing here in their town. After all, Brock had been convinced she'd need to show them his badge before they would let her wander about in this much bigger city. Perhaps the city's guards, whoever they were, were too busy dealing with something else. Or they just didn't care as much as he'd thought they would about a stranger being in their city.

She didn't mind, it was less to worry about as she walked through the city. Pia was eager to get to the gym, she’d heard mutterings that this was a water gym, and they wouldn't stand a chance against her. Ella knew Pia would be able to handle it with ease, she was getting quite strong.

Ella shook her head as she saw the two large water fountains that marked the way into the gym. They had three pokemon carved from them spitting water. A Seel with its head tilted skyward, water coming from its mouth. A Starmie with water shooting from its top point, and a Seadra, with water coming out of its mouth.

They look impressive, but that's using a lot more water than some in other parts have. To her, that seemed like a massive waste, after travelling through mount moon. Everything was so much greener here, and yet, people didn't seem to understand that those on the other side of the mountain were struggling on a daily basis.

She shook her head again as she walked past the fountains.

Steve winced. “This seems… not quite right…”

Ella sighed. “I know Steve, but what can we do about it?”

There was no way the gym leader was going to listen to them about how unfair it was that their city had all this water, when there were others who desperately needed fresh water to be available to them. While she knew Brock was going to do what he could to help with Pallet, she knew that she might not be so lucky in this city.

"So you're the girl who was seen fighting with the Nugget Gang... guess I owe you one..."

An orange haired girl had approached as soon as she'd stepped inside the gym.

"And I see you've got a Wartortle with you, how lucky are you."

"And you've got a lot of water that would be greatly appreciated on the other side of Mount Moon. There's not enough over there to go around."

The girl blinked. "I think it escaped your notice that it's every town for themselves around here," she replied. "Tell ya what. Beat me in a battle and I might think about helping those over there. Brock and his rock types won't like water coming through, but hey what can I do about that? My name is Misty and this is my gym!"

Ella smiled. "You're on."

If a battle was the easiest way to get this gym leader to think outside of her own city's walls, then she was more than ready to teach her that lesson! "I think I'll just use one pokemon, if that's alright?"

"One? Alright, then I will only use one myself... and Sirius isn't an easy battle, I'm warning you..."

The girl turned and led the way into the room beyond which appeared to be filled with a giant pool. There were a few floating platforms on its surface. She walked toward one side, while Ella went for the other side.

"This ones all yours Pia..." Ella muttered as she picked up Pia's pokeball. She knew her little friend would be able to handle this, Pia was waiting for it! And this gym leader was certainly asking for it!

Pia nodded once she was out of her pokeball. “A lot of water it seems…”

Ella nodded. “Yeah, you’ll be fine with this one.”

“Sirius, it's time for your gym battle turn,” Misty called.

Something shot up out of the water a few moments later, landing on one of the platforms. It was golden brown and star shaped with a glowing red jewel in its center.

Pia sparked a little, jumping out onto one of the floating platforms in the pool.

“Thunderbolt, Pia!” Ella called.

“You got it!” The stronger bolt of electricity shot toward where Sirius stood on his platform.

Sirius fell backward onto its back, dodging the blast.

“Ice Beam!” Misty commanded.

Pia quickly dodged as the cold bluish white beam struck where she had been standing, leaping from platform to platform as the beam followed.

Sirius seemed to follow her around the gym sliding quickly along the ice path that was being used.

“Pia! Use Slam and then Quick Attack!”

Pia nodded, slowing just a little before turning and running back toward Sirius, before she leapt and slammed hard down onto the ice, tail first. The ice cracked and shot in all directions.

“Rapid Spin, Sirius!”

Pia then sped up and leapt from shard to shard before slamming straight into Sirius who had barely started to spin.

Sirius was knocked onto its back but the core wasn’t blinking yet. Sirius was struggling trying to get Pia off so it could get up.

“Thunderbolt!”

Pia nodded, and immediately zapped Sirius. She didn’t stop until his core was indeed blinking. Once she saw that, she leapt off and over to the side of the gym where Ella was.

“Sirius?” Misty was looking worriedly at her Staryu. She shook her head when she saw the blinking red gem in his middle. “Return, Sirius.” She looked across the water. “Well those certainly weren’t tactics either of us were expecting. That is one fast Pikachu you’ve got yourself.”

Ella smiled slightly. “Thanks. Pia’s been looking forward to this gym battle for a while. She wanted the chance to show what she could do.”

Misty smiled. “Well she can certainly battle pretty well. Ever thought about turning her into a Raichu someday?”

Ella nodded. “I have but gotta find a Thunderstone and that’s not going to be easy.”

She knew the stones were rare and hard to come by. One day they’d find one, she’d be very happy to help Pia reach that extra level of strength!

“Well if you reach Saffron City be sure to visit the mines there if it’s safe to do so. You might find one out there, there’s usually some of those stones to be found,” Misty said. “Anything aside from the Moon Stone can be found there.”

Ella smiled slightly. “It’s good to know that, thanks. Already got a Moon Stone, the guy who lives up on the cape, Bill, gave me one for one of my other pokemon since he happened to have one sitting around that he knew he wouldn’t need.”

Misty nodded. “I would have gone today but there’s trouble in Celadon. We can’t get through there, and I am needed here, to deal with any of these pesky Rockets that show up. I had thought they were defeated a year ago, but apparently that wasn’t the case.”

Ella shook her head. “Let me guess you’re not happy with my older brother for supposedly failing? Drake did the best he could alright?”

Misty blinked as she heard that. “Wait, that kid with the Charmeleon and red hair who came through back then was your older brother?” She shook her head. “Should have guessed, considering he also found an interesting way to beat Sean my Seel! Ain't heard anything from him since. Last I had heard was that he had succeeded in defeating Ericka, but with her grass types that’s a given since he had that fire type.”

Ella nodded. “Yeah, that was probably Cheun, the Charmeleon,” she said. “Haven’t seen her back at Pallet Town since the day she left with Drake, and well, he was supposed to be home two months ago. So I’m searching for him.”

Misty nodded. “Well, if I hear anything I’ll try and contact you okay? I’ll see what I can do about the other side of Mount Moon, but I do have to keep people here at Cerulean safe as well. I can’t have Team Rocket finding out I’ve gone, or they will invade here. They’re always watching from Celadon.”

Ella winced. Seemed there was going to be a problem in her plans from what Misty had just said. “Speaking of them, how am I supposed to get past their guards? I know it's not a good idea to try and get into Celadon itself, but where can I go from here?”

Misty considered the question for a few long moments.

“Leave Cerulean at night. You’ll find behind some bushes to the south an entrance to a hidden passageway. It gets pretty dark in there, but if you keep walking, you’ll find that eventually you’ll come out on the Vermillion side of Celadon. They won’t see you emerge either, it's out of sight of the guard houses.”

She then held out a hand.

“Here, take these, you might be able to use them at some point in your travels.”

In her hand was another TM disk, and a small blue teardrop.

“That’s the Cascade Badge, and the TM for Water Pulse. I suppose I don’t have to tell you what sort of pokemon to use that on, right?”

Ella chuckled. “No. Thanks for the help. Hopefully we’ll be back this way soon to see how things are going.”

“I guess we’ll see you when you get here again,” Misty said. “If ever you need help on this side of Mount Moon, just send word. I will do what I can to assist you.”

“Thanks,” Ella said, smiling, before she turned and left the gym. Time to heal up and then get going toward her next place to look for word of her brother. At least she appeared to be on the right path!
Steve the Wartortle, Pete the Pidgeotto, Martin the Mankey, Pia the Pikachu, Nicolai the Nidorino, Gordon the Geodude

Users who are viewing this thread