• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
Thread Description
Trouble in Kanto causes a young trainer to leave home to try and set things right!

Erosaf

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Hi there everyone and welcome to my first ever Nuzlocke challenge story! It's also my first ever nuzlocke run, so please be warned, there were indeed a lot of deaths.

This will be a run through Fire Red, and therefore the Kanto region. Kanto's in trouble, but Ella sure doesn't know that yet!

Table of Contents:
Chapter 1 - This post!
Chapter 2 - Portaballs and Pete!
Chapter 3 - An Injured Friend
Chapter 4 - An Unexpected Encounter
Chapter 5 - Arrival In Pewter
Chapter 6 - The First Gym
Chapter 7 - Free At Last!
Chapter 8 - Hello Nicolai!
Chapter 9 - Thugs In Black
Chapter 10 - A Very Blue City

1 - Only catch the first pokemon in a new route, however I also adhere to the duplicates claus-e where I may ignore the encounters until I get something I have not caught before. I cannot catch a repeat of any species I have already caught, nor an evolution of a line I already have.
2 - Nicknames are a must! I'm naming them with names that start with the same letter as their species name when caught.
3 - If it faints it is dead and I will send it to the dead box in my pc. I may give them a nicer way out of the story but they will be mentioned as dead in the notes if I do this.
4 - Battle style is set to Set. No switch training without taking hits!

Chapter 1

Someone’s gotta go find out what’s going on out there. Ella looked out the small window that let in some slight into her bedroom. She could see people working in the field, chopping wood to help with making more houses for Pallet Town. Getting up from her sleeping place, a mattress on the floor with a blanket and pillow, she headed out of her bedroom, picking up a tan coloured backpack on her way through the doorway.

“Mum?” she called.

“Oh Ella, you’re up!”

Ella smiled as a Flareon came running over to her, before rubbing its warm little body against her legs.

-
“Yes Flora I am, have you seen mum?”

Flora looked up at her. “She’ll be back shortly. She just went out to get the workers some water. Don’t worry. You’re heading off today, aren’t you?” Flora’s eyes had shifted to Ella’s bag.

Ella nodded. “We all knew this was coming. No one’s heard from the other towns, I’d rather see for myself what’s going on, and see if I can get help for Pallet Town.”

Flora sighed, shaking her head. “Be careful. Oh… wait here a few moments.” She darted off into the room Ella’s mother slept in usually. Soon she returned, carrying something in her mouth. What looked like a pair of shoes. “Irina said to give these to you. They’re for running, though I’ll never understand why humans need different shoes to run in. She also said, don’t wait for her, get going over to the Pokémon Lab, and just come back and show her the Pokémon that you choose before you leave town.”

Ella chuckled, changing her shoes. “Thanks Flora. I’ll be back soon, it shouldn’t take too long before I have a Pokémon of my own.”

Flora licked at her knee with her warm tongue. “See you soon. Can’t wait to see what you bring home with you.”

Ella scratched between Flora’s long ears for a few moments before getting up and heading out of the house.

It only took a few minutes to walk to the rather large and somewhat fallen into disrepair woodened structure that served as Professor Oak’s lab. Over the years it had been repaired many times. She carefully pushed the worn door open and stepped inside. It was well lit up inside, with huge windows allowing a tonne of sunlight in. She blinked seeing a boy with spiky bronzish hair standing with his back to her at the far end of the room.

“Ryan? What are you doing here?”

“Nice to see you too, Ella.” He turned to face her, smirking. “Someone’s gotta make sure you stay in one piece on your trip so I told mum and grandfather I’d be leaving Pallet Town today.”

Ryan shook her head, shocked. “You don’t think I can look after myself, do you?”

Ryan shrugged. “I also don’t want to always be here in Pallet Town. Sometimes you gotta make your own choices.”

Ella frowned. “Always the one to not want to stay in one place. Not to mention I doubt you’re really that worried about me. You’re just doing this because Drake went off a year ago, aren’t you?”

“If this had anything to do with that brother of yours… I’m not gonna say so,” Ryan retorted. “Sides, he hasn’t been back since. Dunno where grandfather is. Should’ve been here.”

Ella rolled her eyes before turning and walking back outside again. She noted on her way outside, that Bailey the Bulbasaur was still there, he belonged to Professor Oak, so there was no chance the Professor could have gone too far. Bailey wouldn’t be there if he had gone to a place where he might find wild Pokémon.

She did not have to look around for long, she soon saw the Professor coming toward the lab.

The old man smiled at her as he reached her. “Ah Ella, you’re already here are you?”

“Yeah, Ryan’s here too, waiting for you,” Ella said, returning the smile.

Professor Oak shook his head. “Guess he hasn’t dropped that sudden idea to leave Pallet Town then. His mother and I hoped he would after he dropped that little decision on us last night.”

Ella winced. “He really did not think ahead.”

“Unlike you.” Oak shook his head. “Come on in, and I’ll give you a few things that will get you started.”

Ella followed the professor inside, and Bailey followed them, likely glad to see his trainer back home again.

“About time!” Ryan turned to look at them. “Where’ve you been, grandfather!”

Professor Oak shook his head. “I had to make sure there was no one suspicious watching the path north, Ryan.” He looked at Bailey. “Bailey, could you get those two pokeballs down please?”

“Sure.” Bailey extended the two vines hidden under the bulb on his back, reaching up onto a very high shelf. They retracted shortly, before putting the two red and white balls in Professor Oak’s hands.

“Thank you Bailey.”

“No worries.”

Professor Oak turned to them. “Well Ella? Which one do you want out of these two? Been some time since they’ve been out of their pokeballs.”

“Grandfather! What about me?” Ryan asked, a little annoyed. “Why Ella first?”

Professor Oak’s voice was stern as he answered his question. “You need to learn some patience, Ryan. Ella’s been planning this for months. You only decided yesterday so that’s that.”

Ella looked at the two pokeballs. One had a fire like emblem on it, the other some sort of water symbol. I’m used to firetypes like Flora soo. She reached for the water pokéball. Best to train something else. I can find a fire type at some point.

“I think this one is the one for me.”

Professor Oak smiled at her. “You’ll have fun with that girl.”

Ella grinned, before releasing the Pokémon. Out appeared a small blue turtle. “Hello there.”

The Pokémon looked up at her, blinking. “Oh you must be Ella! The Professor told us about you! I’m Steve, and I’m a Squirtle! Nice to meet you! Are we going to be travelling together?”

Ella smiled at her. “Yep, that’s me. So you want to come with me?”

Steve moved his short tail side to side a little, nodding eagerly. “Sure do!”

Ella nodded. “Thank you.”

Steve - Squirtle - Male - Naive nature - Torrent Ability - Level 5

Last edited:

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
Eyyy, Trouble in Kanto's back up! Looks like you've been polishing it up a bit, too--ooh, and Squirtle this time, instead of Charmander, huh? Is there gonna be a whole different team? 👀

Erosaf

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Eyyy, Trouble in Kanto's back up! Looks like you've been polishing it up a bit, too--ooh, and Squirtle this time, instead of Charmander, huh? Is there gonna be a whole different team? 👀
Indeed it is back and hopefully better than ever! Yes, I have decided to completely start this a fresh! First few routes might contain some familiar names or faces but we shall see for the rest! I've already got one new face on the team ... one who trolled both me and Saylee in the forest in our former runs if I recall correctly!

Erosaf

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Team: Steve - Squirtle - Level 7 - Naive

Ella smiled down at Steve for a moment before Ryan called out to her.

“Let’s have a battle!”

In the laboratory? Ella turned and raised an eyebrow at her friend. “Perhaps we should take this outside. I would not want to cause any damage in here, Ryan.”

Ryan laughed, snorting derisively. “Don’t you trust that new Squirtle of yours? I want to see how good this Bulbasaur is!”

“Oi, my name is Bailey!” The Bulbasaur said sharply. “Please use my name!”

“If you prove useful,” Ryan replied. “Come on, outside then.”

Ella grimaced, looking down at Steve as she walked out to the area outside the laboratory. Ryan would have to learn that treating his Pokémon like that was not going to get him very far with them. Still, it was a lesson he’d learn eventually.

“Don’t worry, Ella, I can handle Bailey. Been a while since he’s been in a battle,” Steve said, looking up at her.

Ella smiled. “Thanks Steve. I’m counting on you.”

Bailey moved forward, looking a little uncertainly up at Ryan as he went past him.

“You better know how to fight, Bailey...”

Ella looked at Steve. “I’ll let you work this one out, Steve,” she said. She didn’t know what moves he had, so this could be quite interesting to watch. Once she had some way to know what moves he had she knew she would be able to tell him which ones to use and when.

“Got it!” Steve replied before he ran forward and spun around, slapping Bailey in the face with his tail.

Bailey flinched back, attempting to get out of the way of Steve. Steve continued to leap forward and whack him with his tail a few more times before he backed away from Steve, almost inviting his friend to try and attack him. Bailey did indeed come running at him.

Steve ran forward and slammed into Bailey, knocking his friend over. Bailey did not get up.

Ryan narrowed his eyes. “That’s ridiculous! How could a Bulbasaur lose to a Squirtle! You had a disadvantage!” He recalled Bailey into his pokeball. “It won’t end this way again! I can promise you that!” He ran off toward the exit of their town.

Ella watched him go. Looking down at Steve. “Well done, Steve. That was certainly unexpected!”

Ryan clearly had thought that all he needed was a type advantage to win the battle. Apparently, he’d just learnt that that wasn’t all there was to a battle. Ella shook her head. He’ll learn. We both will. They couldn’t just go storming off whenever they lost a battle!

“Like I said, Bailey hasn’t fought in some time, whereas I have been training with Cynder, the Charmander neither of you chose. Bailey just chooses to sit in the sun instead.”

Ella chuckled. “Well, he is a grass type. Sun is good for him.”

“Ella?”

Ella blinked, turning around as Professor Oak came out to them. “Yes Professor?”

“Could you do me a favour please? I just got word that there is a parcel I’ve been waiting for at the pokemart at Viridian City. Could you please go get it for me?”

“Sure!” Ella replied. “I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

“Thank you.”

Ella started walking with Steve toward her house, to check there was nothing more that she needed.

Steve looked up at her. “Where are we going?”

“I need to stop by home first. I promised my mother I would show her which one of the three of you that I chose to take with me on my journey.”

“I see.”

Ella soon stepped inside the house and smiled as Flora got to her feet. “Hey Flora.”

Flora smiled at her. “Ella! You’re back!” She turned. “Irina!”

Steve moved over to Ella’s side, watching the Flareon curiously as Ella’s mother came out of another room of the house.

“Ella! You’re home again I see. Have enough time to have some lunch?”

Ella shook her head. “Sorry mum. I have to head off, but I wanted you to meet Steve before I leave.”

“Hello Steve, it is nice to meet you. Please, look after my daughter,” Irina said, smiling down at the Squirtle.

“You bet I will!” Steve said.

“I’m glad you got the Pokémon you were looking for,” Irina said. “Good luck on your journey, I hope you will find friends to help you on your way, and hopefully you’ll find Drake too.”

Ella smiled at her mother. “I won’t stop looking until I do find Drake. He’s out there somewhere, waiting for us to find him.”

---

The trip to the pokemart was uneventful, Steve beat up any Rattata and Pidgey who dared to attack them on their way, he’d even learned Bubble as they went. Ella was very pleased with him. He was learning fast, and had even told her what moves he knew so she could further help him learn to battle others.

Once they reached the laboratory again, Ella handed over the parcel that Professor Oak had asked her to collect for him.

“Thank you Ella,” Professor Oak said, setting it on the shelf behind him, not opening it, but Ella guessed he would do so later. “Now hopefully Daisy caught Ryan before he got too far, as there are still a few things I would like to give the two of you.”

As if on cue, Ryan stalked into the room, still seething it seemed after the battle his Bulbasaur had just lost. “What did you want now, grandpa?”

“Ah, thank you!” Professor Oak put it on the shelf behind him. “Now, hopefully Daisy caught Ryan before he left town, as there was something I still wanted to give the two of you.”

Ryan walked into the room. "She did catch me. And what did you want to give us?"

Professor Oak chuckled. “Always impatient aren’t you Ryan? I have some pokéball, a Pokédex and a Portaball for each of you.”

“Portaball?” Ella asked. While she knew what pokéball’s and a Pokédex were, what was a Portaball?

Professor Oak nodded, pulling two larger looking pokéball's from his desk. “Here, you press the button, put a pokéball inside when it opens, and on the keypad here, you simply type in where you want the pokéball to go. There is a portaball machine here at my laboratory, and one at Lavender Town. Though I hope you’ll never have to send anyone there. I’m sure you’ll find out what I mean by that soon enough.” He handed them both one.

“Now, if you need a team member sent to you from me, I can do that too, so they work both ways. Lavender Town has no way of sending Pokémon to you, so don’t send them there unless it's necessary.”

Ella smiled. “Thank you Professor Oak. I’ll be sure to send any extra Pokémon I catch home so that they can help out here.”

Now that this was all over with, she and Ryan headed away from town, Ryan vanishing pretty quickly along the road with Bailey hurrying after him..

She put the items in her bag, before heading out of the door and on her way past the end of their settlement. Time to see what she could find on the route toward Viridian City.

Steve stayed right beside her as they walked back through the long grass once more. They would find something. Ella didn’t mind having him outside his Pokeball, it was nice to have the company.

They’d gotten about halfway out of the route when right in front of them they saw a Rattata headbutting a tree. A Pidgey fell out and was attacked by the Rattata’s sharp fangs immediately.

“Food!” the Rattata snarled as it attacked the Pidgey.

Steve looked at Ella. “We gotta help that Pidgey! It only looks young, compared to those we dealt with earlier!”

Indeed the Pidgey did look a lot smaller. “Alright, Tackle the Rattata. Let’s make it run away so we can help him.”

Steve nodded. “Got it!” He ran forward slamming into the Rattata which yelped and glared at him, charging at him.

“Tail Whip, Steve!” Ella called.

Steve nodded and swung around so that his back was to the Rattata, whacking him in the face with his tail. The Rattata looked a little unsteady after the unexpected strike, and ran away, not wanting to be hit again.

Steve made his way toward the Pidgey, a bit slowly. “You okay?” he asked.

“Do I look it?” the male Pidgey asked weakly. “I thought that was the end for me..”

“We could help you,” Steve said, looking down at him.

“You? How? You’re a Squirtle..”

Steve shook his head, flopping down onto the ground next to the Pidgey. “Well, I can't do much, but my trainer can. Ella’s really nice.”

“Trainer?”

“Yeah, someone who helps you grow stronger, and looks after you as well.”

Ella reached them and knelt down beside Steve. “Hey there,” she told the badly hurt Pidgey. “I’m Ella. What’s your name?”

“I’m … Pete,” the Pidgey replied. “Thanks .. for getting that Rattata to leave me alone..”

Ella smiled slightly at him. “You’re welcome. How about we get you somewhere you can be healed and feel good as new? I wouldn’t mind having a Pidgey around. You could come in handy.”

Pete nodded. “Sounds better than being out here, alone and getting attacked by those damn rats,” he replied. “What do I need to do?”

“Well, I’ll pop you in here,” Ella said, holding up one of the pokeballs that she’d been given by Professor Oak. “And then I’ll get you to a place that will heal you. Don’t worry, it won’t hurt you.”

Pete nodded. “Okay..” He yawned.

Ella smiled slightly again, before she gently tapped the pokeball’s button against his nicked beak. Pete vanished into the pokeball.

Steve - Squirtle - Level 10 - Naive
Pete - Pidgey - Level 3 - Adamant

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Between long periods of dormant slumber, this writer rises again for periods of activity that leave piles of dead fictional Pokemon in their wake
Ryaaannnn... you could at least call your Pokemon by their names!

Awww, the way Ella met Pete was just like how Saylee met Pedro XD

Erosaf

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Ryaaannnn... you could at least call your Pokemon by their names!

Awww, the way Ella met Pete was just like how Saylee met Pedro XD
Yes Ryan, its rude not to do that. Poor Bailey!
Yep, I got a Pidgey this time instead of a Rattata! Pete is such a good little birdy. You're going to find something familiar for the next team member I do believe as I've kept his story the same.

Prince Panda

Conqueror of the Pewter Gym
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dark
Love how you are building Steve as the reliable Squirtle. I haven't read the first run you had, but I will be following this one. Best of luck.

Erosaf

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Sorry for the long delay folks. Been a bit busy, but here I come!

Love how you are building Steve as the reliable Squirtle. I haven't read the first run you had, but I will be following this one. Best of luck.
I don't know why I didn't choose Squirtle the first time. He's my original starter so I have very high hopes for him!

Pete - Pidgey - Level 6 - Adamant

Ella shook her head as she walked back toward the Pokemon Center that she had spotted in Viridian City, if one could even call it a city really. There were only maybe … fifteen people who she had seen living there, and most of the buildings were rather dilapidated! The Pokemon Center seemed to be the only one that had any electricity.

It was perhaps unsurprising that most of the people in town seemed to have gathered inside for the night. Something to look into, this power problem! Ella shook her head as she made her way over to the desk to hand over Pete and Steve’s Pokeballs. Once the woman behind the counter had healed him earlier, she’d gone back to the road before and gotten some good training in with Pete and Steve. As a result each of them had gotten stronger, and a bit bigger. It was, for now, more noticeable for Pete.

She turned as someone tapped her on the shoulder while the two pokemon were being healed.

“Excuse me, you’re a trainer aren’t you?” the man who had done so asked.

“Yeah why?” Ella asked, feeling a little surprised that he’d had to ask something so blatantly obvious.

“You don’t happen to have any electric pokemon do you?”

Pete and Steve really would have a hard time adjusting to having one of those hanging around with us. Ella shook her head. “Sorry but no. I haven’t gone far, just from Pallet to here.”

“Pallet?”

Has he really not heard that some people went further south about five years ago? Ella nodded. “We’re a bit of a new settlement, over by that laboratory that we’ve made out of one of the ruined buildings to the south? About an hour's walk from here?”

The man shook his head, giving her somewhat bemused look . “Sorry I wasted your time.” He walked away.

Ella shook her head. Really? Just because I’m a new trainer? She had no interest in finding out what his problem was. When the nurse called her over to collect her pokeballs, she did so, following her to a room in the back where she could spend the night.

She let Steve and Pete out of their pokeballs once in the room, and sat on the bed.

“Where are we going next, Ella?” Steve asked.

Ella considered the question for a few moments. It was something she needed to work out herself. Something did come to mind however.

“Well, I heard people talking about the fact that the Gym here is always closed. I thought we could check the place out, sure we won’t be able to get inside, but even so, I’d like to at least take a look inside. After that, we might try training out past that small lake nearby, we might make a new friend too.”

Pete smiled slightly. “I look forward to it. From what I hear that area’s got mostly Rattata and Mankey out there, or rather it used to be the home of a lot of Mankey. Don’t know if there are any left, something’s driven them away.”

Ella winced. “Well, if there are any, what would you say to making one our friend?”

“Could come in useful,” Steve replied.

“Sure, be good at dealing with those rats if we meet any,” Pete said. “Though from what I hear some of them can be really hot headed.”

Ella raised an eyebrow at her Pidgey. “Isn’t that what I’ve got you for, Pete? Keeping some of them in line?”

“Hey me too,” Steve protested. “We’ll both keep them in line as long as we’re with you.”

Ella smiled at them both. “I’ll see you in the morning.”

——

When morning came, Ella asked at the pokecenters counter where the gym apparently was in the city. Once she had the directions she headed off along one of the roads, one heading north up a slight ridge.

She soon saw the gym, sitting on cracking ground. Interesting. It seemed to have several cracked walls as she walked closer, and indeed there was even a broken window near the front door. She sighed. The broken window was a little too high for her to see in. All that she could tell through the doors window was pure darkness.

Steve shook his head. “This place looks pretty ominous,” he said as he walked around the building with Ella.

Ella nodded. “It is very strange. From when Drake wrote to us back when we still heard from him, this place wasn’t so derelict. I guess the Gym Leader’s not been around for a long time.”

Pete shook his head as he flew over the building landing on Ella’s shoulder. “There’s even holes in the roof,” he said. “I don’t think they’re coming back any time soon. We should move on..”

Ella nodded. “Yeah..” She gave the crumbling building one last look before she turned and walked away. “Let’s go see if we can find a new friend beyond that lake near the edge of town. With any luck we might be able to see what’s happened to all the Mankey that you mentioned have vanished.”

Once they reached the path leading past the lake, Ella looked at Pete. “Pete? Go see what you can find. You might see something.”

Pete nodded, and flew off as Ella and Steve kept walking past the lake which was a very unpleasant green. I doubt anyone would possibly live in there, Ella thought. That water looked toxic!

Even Steve stayed away from that lake. “If you need water, leave that to me,” he said. “Don’t think we can trust any we find.”

Ella nodded. “I agree Steve. Thanks.”

Pete soon came soaring down to them. “I found something,” he said. “Follow me, they need help!”

Ella blinked. “Lead the way.” She and Steve ran after Pete as he turned and flew away.

Soon, they saw what looked to be a Mankey on the ground, watching with narrowed eyes as it waved its hands at Pete who was staying out of reach.

“No! Stay back yeh daft bird!” he said, sounding angry.

Steve moved forward. “Easy there! Pete won’t hurt you.”

The Mankey turned its eyes on him before seeing Ella. “Not another human! Go away!”

Ella paused where she was, keeping a safe distance between herself and the Mankey, reaching up to pat Pete’s head as he landed on her shoulder. “I’m sorry, I just want to help. Pete saw you and came to show us where you were. He said you were injured.”

“Yeh got no sight in dem eyes of yehs?” the Mankey retorted angrily. “Use dem!”

Ella looked a little more carefully at the Mankey and saw what looked like black metal wrapped around one of the Mankey’s feet. “Someone trapped you. That’s no way to catch a Pokemon! At least, not the right way…” She paused. “Let me help you. I can get you somewhere you can heal, and you won’t owe me anything. What’s your name?” she kept her voice as calm as she could, friendly.

“Ella’s a nice person,” Steve put in. “She’s been looking after us, helping us get stronger.”

“No need to search for food either,” Pete said. “We get enough of that.”

The Mankey looked at them both, before at Ella. “I’m Martin,” he mumbled. “’Spose this might be the best thing for me too.”

Ella looked at Pete. “Think your claws can break that rope?”

“I’ll try,” Pete replied. He looked at Martin. “Hold still..”

Ella and Martin both watched as Pete got to work with his claws and beak, working on breaking through the rope. It took him a short while, but eventually he’d managed to break through it.

“Do you think you can walk, Martin?” Ella asked. “I can’t get the rest of the trap off, but I know somewhere that can…”

Martin shook his head. “Been here a few days.”

Ella winced. No wonder he didn’t like seeing me coming. “How about I take you there in a Pokéball? Once you’re healed up you can choose if you come with us or return home.”

Martin nodded. “Sounds fair.”

Pete - Pidgey - Level 3 - Adamant

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Eyyy, hi Martin! Mankey's a good solid chance, though you won't need him so much for Brock since you've got Steve :P

Erosaf

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Eyyy, hi Martin! Mankey's a good solid chance, though you won't need him so much for Brock since you've got Steve :P
Very happy to have him all the same. He's bound to come in useful!

Steve - Squirtle
Pete - Pidgey
Martin - Mankey

Ella had delivered Martin to the Pokémon Center, telling him where she’d be once, he had recovered, should he want to join them after all. Martin had thanked her for the information and had gone with the nurse and her Chansey to get that trap removed.

It was only an hour or two before she saw the young Mankey approaching them.

“It’ll be good to have you around, Martin,” she said as the other two came over to greet him. “I’m glad we were able to help you out.”

“Thank yeh for the help,” Martin replied. “I think I’ll stay with yeh. If that’s alright?”

Ella smiled at him. “You are more than welcome to come with us, Martin. I had hoped you would decide to do so.” She pulled out the Pokedex that she’d been given, pointing it toward him. Scratch and Leer. So there was a long way to go before Martin would be really good in a fight, but she was up for the challenge.

Steve smiled. “You’ll be happy with us Martin.”

“So long as the featherbrain doesn’t attack me too much,” Martin commented. “We really don’t like that.”

Pete laughed as he landed on Ella’s shoulder. “Wouldn’t dream of hurting a friend, don’t worry. Got more sense than that!”

“Glad to hear it,” Martin replied. “So, where are yeh all going?”

Ella explained about her brother having gone missing, and that she also wanted to see what was going on in the rest of Kanto. Martin listened interested, nodding a few times.

“Guess I’ll be of some use then,” he said. “If we’re out at night, I can keep watch, I don’t sleep.”

Ella smiled. “That sounds really useful! Thank you Martin.”

“Yeh’re welcome,” Martin replied.

Ella smiled, and started walking up the road away from Viridian City. It was time to see what lay behind, and really start their trip together. They’d been walking for a few hours with Martin and Pete taking turns to deal with the Pidgey that came out to attack them. Both were getting bigger and stronger with time.

“Not your turn, Pete, I’ll let Martin handle this one,” Ella said, when a Caterpie appeared on the trunk of a tree she had just walked close to. She looked at Martin. “I want to catch the bug, so hold back a bit, won’t you?”

“Sure,” Martin replied, eying the tree. “I think I know how to get it down from there. Should be enough to get it caught for you.”

Ella raised her eyebrows. “Okay?”

“Don’t yeh worry, I know what to do here.”

Martin ran forward toward the tree, almost reaching it, he swung a foot out down quite low and gave the tree a hard kick.

The little Caterpie yelped, waking up as it fell toward the ground, landing there in some confusion.

“Huh? Who?” he asked, looking around. Seeing Martin looming over him he gave a startled squeak. “What the?”

“Hey, its alright,” Ella said as she walked over. “Sorry for that. Thought I might be able to help you. You’re a Caterpie right? Ever wanted to be a Butterfree?”

“Instead of someone’s dinner?” Pete asked from her shoulder.

The Caterpie shrunk back at the sight of Pete.

Ella tapped his beak. “Not helping Pete.”

“I just sit there in the tree, hoping to evolve some day,” the Caterpie said. “I’d love to fly someday. Who are you?”

“I’m Ella. This is Martin, Pete and Steve,” Ella said. “We’re about to head toward the next town to see what lies out that way. You could come with us, we might be able to help you become a Butterfree in return.”

The Caterpie considered it. “I think that could work out quite well for me,” he said. “I’m Cameron. Nice to meet you all.”

Ella grinned. “Nice to meet you too, Cameron.” She bent down to pick him up. “You’re quite big, I’m guessing you just need a little time to grow more, and you’ll be a Metapod?”

“I think so,” Cameron replied, moving up her arm and suddenly snuggling in her hair. “Ahh, that’s better.”

Ella chuckled. It felt a little odd having the sudden weight on her head. “Just don’t go turning into a Metapod on my head, alright?”

“Right..”
“Oh and pay attention if we’re battling someone. That might help you too,” Ella commented.

“Okay,” Cameron replied.​

-​

They spent an hour or two just outside the forest’s edge, making sure that Steve, Martin and Pete could all fight properly with their new learned attacks. Steve practised with Water Gun by aiming at some rocks that Martin kicked into the air with his new Low Kick. Pete practised Gust to knock the wet rocks away so they didn’t land on someone’s head.

Once Ella was quite confident in her pokemon’s abilities to use their new attacks, she recalled all but Pete into their pokeballs, letting Cameron stay up on her head for now, since he needed to learn and wouldn’t be battling any time soon.

It was as they were settling in to a new spot to spend the night in a small thicket of trees, that Ella saw something approaching. “Hey, Pete … what’s coming closer?”

Pete glided down, landing on her shoulder and peered into the gloom in the direction she was looking from. “Looks like a yellow rat no wait, a mouse. Want me to scare it off, Ella?”

Ella shook her head. “Must be a Pikachu. They’re really rare… I wonder if it’s looking for food.”

“Might be, just don’t let it zap me or Steve… we don’t much want that happening,” Pete replied, before he flew up onto a branch above them.

Ella nodded, watching the tiny mouse as it came closer. She blinked. Rounded tail. Female! About time she’d met something that was female. She walked forward a little away from the others. “Hello there.”

The Pikachu leapt backwards, cheeks sparking in surprise. “A human? This is not something I expected in this part of the forest. You’re … not a bug catcher are you?”

Ella shook her head, squatting down near the Pikachu, but not too close in case she startled it again. “No, I’m not. I just have one Caterpie, but otherwise I don’t plan on other bugs. You’re a Pikachu right? I’m Ella.”

The Pikachu studied her. “Those bug catchers are really mean. You’ll want to keep that Caterpie away from them,” she said. “My names Pia. I just escaped from one of them who came too close to my home and was looking for something to eat. I think they wanted to eat me.”

Ella winced. “That’s horrible! Considering how rare you are, it’s even worse that someone wants you for food. How about you come with me and my Pokémon? We wouldn’t let them hurt you, and if you know your way around the forest…”

“I do. It’s been my home … well, since before I can remember,” Pia replied, nodding. “I’m good at dealing with Metapod and Kakuna too, and there’s a lot of those about in here. I’ll come with you. Was thinking about leaving the forest anyway, its no longer safe here for me. Where are you going?”

Ella smiled as Pia came a little closer, sniffing at her. “We’re headed to Pewter City, and after that, hoping to find news of my older brother. He’s been missing for a while, so I want to find him.”

Pia rubbed her head against Ella’s hand. “Then I will come with you and help you find him.”

“Thanks Pia.” Ella got up. “Just promise me you won’t shock Steve, my Squirtle or Pete, my Pidgey okay?”

“Sure thing..”

Ella returned to the camp with her new friend following behind her.​

Steve - Squirtle
Pete - Pidgey
Martin - Mankey
Cameron - Caterpie
Pia - Pikachu!!

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Oh you lucky bugger, landing a Pikachu! I am ENVIOUS!

Erosaf

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Oh you lucky bugger, landing a Pikachu! I am ENVIOUS!
Oh believe me the moment I saw that little yellow mouse it was “oh no, Saylee is not going to like this! Must catch and keep as long as possible for her sake”

It trolled us both in my last run but this time that wasn’t going to happen!

only possibly since I run duplicates and species clause and since Cameron came to me before the forest it was eorher weedle, kakuna or pikachu! First encounter was a caterpie!

Last edited:

Erosaf

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Steve the Squirtle
Pete the Pidgey
Martin the Mankey
Cameron the Caterpie
Pia the Pikachu

“Hey you! Yeah you! Want a battle?!”

Ella frowned looking around. Who had said that? She couldn’t see anyone around her in this forest, and they’d been walking for a few days now! Everyone was getting stronger and bigger. Cameron was starting to try and wrap himself up in her scarf and hair from time to time, and she had the feeling it wouldn’t be long before he became a Metapod.

As his trainer, she really wanted to help him become as strong as possible. If Cameron wanted to be a Butterfree, she would help him get there. Just as she would help Steve become a Blastoise, Pete a Pidgeot, Martin a Primape, and if she could be lucky enough to ever encounter one, Pia into a Raichu.

“Well, where are you?” she called. “I won’t be able to battle you if I can’t see you…”

“Look up you nitwit!” the rude voice said.

Martin did look up, and suddenly gave a tree a hard kick. “Come down ‘ere and say dat!”

“Hey!” The kid Ella could now see clung to the branch. “Get off.”

“Make me!” Martin snapped, kicking the tree again.

“Martin come back here,” Ella called. “I know you’re angry that a kid would call me that, but we’ll teach him a lesson by winning this battle, okay?”

Martin stomped back to her. “Right…”

“Please do that..” Cameron said, snuggling back into Ella’s arms a little. He actually sounded scared of what was going on.

Ella looked down at him. “You know this kid?”

“Hey is that … my old useless Cameron?” the boy called. “What a waste of space for you he’ll be. Useless bug!”

Cameron didn’t answer that.

Ella smiled at Cameron. “You’re not useless, Cameron. You just need to get stronger, and you’ve already done so in the past few days. You’re almost ready to evolve…”

She looked at the kid and glared at him. “We’ll see about that, kid! How about we have that fight? Martin’s looking for one.”

The kid laughed from where he sat. “Fine. Two on two sound good?”

Ella looked at her friends thinking for a moment. I don’t have any fire types, but I do have Pete.. “Cameron, Martin? I think I’ll have you two participate. See if you’re as weak as he seems to think you are, Cameron. Steve, Pete, Pia, find somewhere to sit and watch.”

She didn’t believe her bug was weak at all!

Martin nodded, jumping up from where he’d been sitting straight away. “Alright, just yeh tell me who I’m smacking around.”

“Fine by me, Ella,” Steve said. He moved off to one side to sit with the other two and wait for this battle to end.

Ella smiled. “Cameron, you’re up first.”

Cameron nodded, jumping down from her arms. “Okay.”

The kid laughed throwing a ball down at the ground. “Did you know that Pokémon evolve? Go! Wilbur!”

Wilbur it seemed was a golden cacoon. He poked two nasty looking stingers out from his shell.

Ella raised her eyebrows. Kakuna? Interesting. “Cameron? Use String Shot!”

Cameron nodded, spitting the silky white string from his mouth.

“Harden, Wilbur!” the boy said, laughing. “Have to do better than that, Cameron!”

Wilbur immediately folded his stingers back into his shell, even as the string went wrapping around him, and he shone silver.

“Tackle, Cameron!”

Cameron made his way forward, slamming into Wilbur.

“Ow!” Wilbur hissed, struggling in the string as Cameron moved back away from him.

Ella smiled. “Well done, Cameron.”

“Thanks,” Cameron said. He looked at Wilbur. “More where that came from!”

Wilbur said nothing.

Ella smiled. “Use Tackle again, Cameron.”

Cameron shot forward.

“Poison Sting, Wilbur!”

Wilbur struggled to get his stingers free of the string shot still stuck around him as Cameron came closer once more. “What is this?”

“A stronger me!” Cameron snapped, slamming into him again, yelping as he did so however, as Wilbur managed to poke one of his singers through and jab him.

Cameron recoiled, returning to Ella’s side before suddenly spitting out a lot of string that began to rapidly wrap around him.

“You’re kidding!” the boy snapped. “He’s …”

Ella grinned. “Becoming a Metapod. Well done Cameron!” Once the string had stopped forming around Cameron leaving only his eyes visible, she nodded at Martin. “Karate Chop!”

Martin nodded. “Right!” He ran forward, slapping at the surprised Wilbur with one hand.

Wilbur collapsed on his side, saying nothing.

Ella waited for the kid to recall his pokemon, picking Cameron up as she did so. It seemed that he hadn’t been poisoned. Good. It did not seem as though the kid wanted to. Either that or he didn’t realise that Wilbur had been knocked out by Martin’s much fiercer Karate Chop.

Finally after several minutes after Wilbur had actually fainted, the boy recalled him scowling down at her. “Warren, get out there and teach this kid what you’re made of!”

I’m not a kid unlike you. Ella smiled when she saw it was a Weedle who had been called out. “Martin, give it a good Karate Chop, but don’t hit its stingers.”

“Got it!” Martin was on top of the Weedle before it could even react, slamming his hand down on the middle of its boy and making it curl up in pain. He kept striking until the Weedle couldn’t take any more and fainted. Martin snorted in disgust, kicking the tree the kid was in before walking back to Ella.

The kid scrambled down, some money falling from his pocket before running off, after calling Warren back to his pokeball.

Ella shook her head as he ran off. “Clearly someone doesn’t like being beaten at his own game.” She smiled down at Cameron. “Look at you go, Cameron. You’re a Metapod now.”

Cameron didn’t say anything, it seemed he couldn’t for the time being. Not that she minded, the others were all thrilled to see that he had evolved as much as she was. One more, and they’d have a big beautiful Butterfree, just as Cameron wanted to be!

Steve looked at Cameron. “So, that’s what a Metapod looks like? Can he … actually do anything while like that?”

Ella tapped a few buttons on her pokedex taking a look. “Not really. He’s learned Harden but that’s about it. We’re going to have to look after him for the time being, let him watch only. That shell might protect him, but it can’t stop everything from breaking it.”

Martin snorted. “Yeh sure about dat? What in Arceus name was he thinking making that a possibly part of a pokemon?”

Ella shook her head. “Careful Martin. All things were made for a reason. According to this, he won’t be like that for too long, and then we’ll have a Butterfree, which is what he really wants to be at some point.”

aa

“Tomorrow, I reckon we’ll be outside the forest again,” Paul commented once they were all finished admiring Cameron’s new appearance. Even he was bigger now, having gotten stronger and closer over time to become a Pidgeotto. He’d been determined to, considering how rude some of the Pidgeotto he’d known had been.

Ella nodded. “Soon, Pewter’s Gym will have two new opponents to face. I’ll work out which one of you will be helping Martin once we get there, since I don’t know for sure what we’re going to be up against.”

“Fair enough,” Steve said. “Rocks don’t like me too much. The others…”

“And I hate Rock Types,” Pete replied. “One of them, an Onix crushed me dad to death with his tail when I was only a young hatchling. We don’t do well against them at all. Don’t know what the Onix’s issue was, all I know is that my dad was killed by one, and he was a Pidgeot!”

Steve winced. “That is a shame. Pidgeot aren’t very common at all!”

Ella winced. “Indeed. Hopefully you can become one just like him, Pete. I’ll keep you two away from Brock’s Pokémon, so it’ll be two of the other three who’ll battle. Don’t want to send in something that could be easily beaten like that!”

-

It was close to evening the next day when they finally emerged from the forest and started walking toward a cracked stone wall that loomed over the forest’s edge.

Ella hurried toward the wall, hoping to find a gate somewhere. It would be nice to be able to spend the evening in the city instead of out in the wilderness for once!

There was someone watching them, she could feel eyes on her as they finally approached the gate, which looked rather battered, but was firmly shut. Did we miss the chance for the day to get inside the city? It was certainly a bigger place from what she could see.

Ella turned away, to look for a place to sleep.

“Hey you! Yes, you with the Squirtle!”

She turned around as someone spoke, and Steve stared as a huge stone head reared up over the gate.

She gave a surprised squeak when she recognised just what sort of Pokémon was looking down at them from the wall. “Yes?”

An Onix?! What’s one of them doing loose in the city.

“Where did you come from and where are you going?” The Onix asked, looking down at them, unfazed by Steve’s stare.

“We came through Viridian Forest,” Ella replied, looking up at the colossal serpent. “We were going to head into Pewter City, since I’m looking to try out my first Gym battle…”

“Name’s Orion.” The Onix looked down at them for a few moments longer before his head vanished from over the wall, vanishing below.

“Think they’ll let us in?” Steve asked, looking around uneasily.

“I don’t like this..” Pete commented. “He was huge…”

“Be patient you two..” Ella replied, watching the gate and the place where the Onix’s head had vanished.

The Onix appeared to not return, but the gate did indeed open up, giving them a chance to quickly get into the city.

Off to one side was a walled off long wide pit, that seemed to lead under the city.

Steve looked into it. “What in the world?”

“I’ll bet that’s where Orion went,” Ella replied. “It’s certainly wide enough for an Onix! Not to mention if these go all over the city I can understand why they’d be tired of earthquakes from annoyed Digletts!”

“I’ll go take a look if they are throughout the city.” Pete winced. “I sure don’t want to follow him into there.”

Ella shook her head. “We’re not going to. Today we’ll head to the Pokémon center so you guys can all rest and recover. Tomorrow, I’ll find out where the Gym is, and we’ll have a battle there waiting for us. I wouldn’t be surprised if Orion lets the Gym Leader know that we’re coming.”

Martin smiled slightly. “Finally time for a battle that needs to be done!”

Ella nodded, as she walked, looking for the red roofed building amongst all the stone houses. Eventually they found it and headed inside so they could all rest for the night, without having to keep watch, even though Martin probably would anyway!

Pete rejoined them as they reached the Pokémon center, they’d encountered several other Onix tunnel openings as they’d walked through.

“There are tunnels all over this place. Some are just openings for an Onix to come out of, but there are others that are quite long in places. Especially near the gym,” he told them as they walked toward the room that Nurse Joy had shown them.

Ella frowned. “Looks like that one gets about. I really hope it’s not something too serious going on with the Diglett.”

“Whatever it might be, we’ll deal with it when we get there,” Steve replied.

Steve the Squirtle
Pete the Pidgey
Martin the Mankey
Cameron the Metapod
Pia the Pikachu

Erosaf

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Spr_3f_007.png
Spr_3f_016.png
Spr_3f_056.png
Spr_3f_025.png
Spr_3f_011.png

When morning came, Ella knew there was work to be done. This city was a lot bigger than Viridian had been. The buildings, she noticed, had a slightly crumbled, newly repaired look in places. Some of them had been completely reduced to rubble in parts of the town. What happened here? Drake never told us about any of this.

She had to hope it wasn’t the Diglett that Nurse Joy had told her about who were causing all this devastation. As far as Murse Joy knew, they were just looking to have fun, but people had had enough, and so Orion was allowed to roam freely below the town and deal with any that tried to stop him from going about.

I suppose a giant rock snake would certainly deter me if I came face to face with him and I was only a little Diglett. Orion was huge, but had seemed friendly enough when he’d spoken to them at the wall to the town.

While they worked their way through the city, they found the blue roofed Pokemart, and Ella wen into restock some items she’d used. At least trainers in the forest had been willing to give her money if they lost, it wasn’t much, but if she was careful, they’d manage well enough.

“You wouldn’t be able to tell me which way I’d find the gym would you?” she asked the clerk as she paid for the things she’d picked out.

“Brock’s place? When you go outside, head around the right side of my store and along the road until you reach the Pokemon Museum. Turn left there. The road from there only leads around the gym itself to the front door. That’s the only way, unless you use the Onix tunnels and that’s not advisable.”

Ella winced. “Yeah, I don’t think I want to try those tunnels. Might get lost down in here.”

The clerk laughed. “Good idea. Orion’s made quite the labyrinth down there.”

Orion? Interesting. This was going to be quite the battle, if he was indeed one of Brock’s Pokémon. “Thank you for the advice, although, one other question…”

“What might that be?”

“Any idea what happened to the builders from Pewter that were helping out in Pallet Town?” She paused. “They were helping us for a while, but stopped coming all of a sudden.”

“You’ll have to ask Brock,” the clerk replied, shaking his head. He watches what goes on with people here, he might know. Good luck with the gym challenge.”

Ella nodded. She would make sure to ask him. Once she had everything in her bag, she headed in the direction he had directed her. The museum was at least easy to see, and she did not take long to reach it.

“Hey, trainer!”

Ella turned as someone called out to her. She saw a man wearing a white coat coming down the stairs leading up to the museum’s entrance and toward her.

“I have something here that I can’t use. Since you’re a trainer, and no trainer I’ve asked yet has wanted it including a spiky haired kid with a Bulbasaur who came through a few days ago, wanted it, maybe you might?”

Ella raised an eyebrow, looking at him. “What have you got?”

“It’s a pokemon fossil. I’m no trainer, so it’ll never see itself being revived if I keep it. These pokemon can only be found if revived at the laboratory at Cinnabar Island, you won’t find one anywhere else.”

Ella blinked. I’ll bet that was Ryan who refused the fossil. Idiot. “What sort?”

The man showed her a faded picture of a flying grey pokemon that he had with him. “I believe from notes we’ve had from them, the Old Amber can be revived into a Pokemon called Aerodactyl. They’re ferocious fighters, and not ones willing to accept theire defeated. Would you like it?”

Ella thought for a few moments. “I don’t know when I will get to Cinnabar.. if I make it that far.” She paused. “I suppose I could. Is there a gym on that island?”

The scientist nodded. “There is. The Volcano Badge. If you do manage to get that fossil sorted out, please do come and show me. I would love to see what Aerodactyl looks like.”

Ella smiled. “Alright. I will send word if I can when I do get there.”

The scientist smiled, holding out a rather pretty amber orb. “Take this with you then. I hope it brings you some luck when it has been revived.”

Ella nodded. “One would hope it will. Thanks.”

She looked down at the gleaming amber rock as she walked. Hard to believe a pokemon could be restored from something like this. She paused as they reached the entrance. The building too seemed carved from the stone of the city, the word Gym carved over the door. Off to one side, she noticed was another entrance to the Onix tunnels below the city.

I guess Orion also lives here after all. This was going to be quite the challenge.

The doors slid open as she approached them and she saw an older male watching. “You must be a new challenger. Orion told me you would be coming.”

Ella smiled. “Indeed, that’s why I came here. I am Ella, from Pallet Town.”

The man nodded. “My name is Brock. It is good to see that Pallet Town still survives. You are the second trainer from there that has come from my town this week.”

Ella frowned. “Let me guess, a boy my age with a Bulbasaur called Bailey?”

Brock nodded. “Indeed. He put up quite the fight, and was rewarded with the Boulder Badge.”

Trust Ryan to get here before me, not to mention make short work of a gym that Bailey is strong against.

“Before we have a battle I have some questions for you.”

Brock shook his head. “I will answer your questions, if you are able to beat me. Tell me, who did you pick as a starter?”

Ella raised an eyebrow. Going to be like that is it? Wonder why he wants to know who my starter is. “I have a Squirtle called Steve.”

Brock raised an eyebrow. “Squirtle. Very strong Pokémon they are. Well then, come through to the arena and we will see how well you go against my Pokémon.”

Ella followed him through a sliding door, and waited on one side while Brock crossed to the other and retrieved two pokéballs.

“The battle will be two Pokémon each. The first trainer to have both their Pokémon beaten will be the one to succeed the battle. Sound fair?”

Ella nodded. “Sounds good to me, let’s get this going!”

“Go! Grathin!”

Out of Brock’s pokéball appeared a rock with two arms attached.

Ella studied it for a few moments, before she retrieved a pokéball from her bag. “Martin, let’s go!”

Martin appeared in a flash, hopping from foot to foot as they looked at Grathin, who could only be a Geodude.

“Grathin, use Tackle on that Mankey!”

Grathin came rolling toward Martin.

“Low Kick, Martin!”

Martin nodded and darted forward, allowing Grathin to slam into him before he kicked at the boulder like Pokémon, sending it backward away from him. “Have to do better than that!”

“Rock Throw!”

As the rocks started being thrown from the ground by Grathin, Ella thought for a few moments while Martin continued to dodge around the arena.

“Get up close, Martin and use Karate Chop!”

Martin darted around, dodging the rocks being thrown at him, slowly making his way closer to Grathin, ready to smack him with his hands.

“Don’t let it get too close Grathin!” Brock shouted. “Use Tackle again!”

Grathin went rolling toward Martin, throwing rocks as he did to try and keep Martin preoccupied until again he slammed into Martin, who hit him hard enough that Grathin flew backwards and hit the wall. He did not get up again.

“Well done!” Brock said, before recalling Grathin. “That’s one strong little Mankey you’ve got there. I have to admit I was not expecting this, however…” He threw a ball, this one a white and blue ball instead of a normal pokéball. “Orion, come on out!”Orion appeared with a loud roar. “So.. I must fight? Rare indeed.”

Ella stared up at the Onix. Well here is a challenge! Onix were very strong, but also, slow. This should get interesting.

Martin looked back at her. “What do you want me to do against this thing?”

Ella looked at him. “Karate Chop!”

“Orion, use Rock Throw… and our usual tactic against that Mankey!”

“At once!” Orion boomed. He started hurling huge rocks at Martin. When Martin was about to smack him with one hand he ended up going through empty air.

“What the? Where?”

Orion was nowhere to be seen in the gym! Had Brock recalled him?

“Let's see how well you counter this,” Brock called from across the arena.

Ella looked around, searching for any sign of the Onix. “Keep on the move, Martin!”

“Alright!”

Martin darted around, jumping occasionally over the Onix tunnel entrances in the ground.

“Be ready with a Low Kick!”

“Got it!”

All of a sudden from right under Martin as he jumped over one of the three tunnel entrances, Orion shot from the ground, sending Martin crashing into the roof of the gym before Martin hit the ground. Orion roared before lowering his tail right at where Martin was on his back on the ground.

Ella saw that Martin wasn’t getting up, so she reached for his pokéball. “Martin, return! You’ve done well.”

Martin vanished back into his ball. “Well. I never saw that coming.”

Ella sighed, before raising Steve’s ball. “Alright Steve. I’m counting on you to win this!”

Steve appeared, looking around the gym briefly. “Whoa… the Onix?”

Orion looked down at him. “Well we meet again, little Squirtle… but can you possibly beat me?”

So he remembers Steve? Well, that should be an interesting turn of events.

Brock frowned as he looked at Steve. “Orion? Rock Throw!”

Orion started to hurl rocks at Steve.

“Watch the pattern, Steve. Try and get a strong Water Gum in when you find an opening!”

Steve nodded, dodging the rocks as much as he could while trying to work out Orion’s pattern. Once he had worked it out, he let loose a very strong stream of water from his mouth. Orion was blasted back by the powerful torrent into the wall of the gym. Unfortunately the impact of the giant rock snake with the wall sent some of the roofing clattering down, burying Steve before he could dodge.
“Steve!”

Brock quickly recalled Orion before he hurried forward as well. “I hope she’s alright! Stephan give us a hand with getting that Squirtle free!” He threw a pokéball, and a Sandslash came scurrying across to help clear the debris from where Steve was.

Martin ran forward to help as well. They managed to get the rocks off to find that Steve had withdrawn into his shell, which had a crack across part of the right side.

“Steve? You okay there?” Martin asked, nudging the shell with his foot gently, well as gently as a Mankey could.

There wasn’t a response for a moment, before Ella exhaled when Steve poked his head out. “Steve!”

“I’m alright..” Steve said, sounding just a little dazed. “Only thing I could think to do.”

Ella smiled, falling down onto her knees as she saw him getting up shakily. “You scared me..”

“Sorry..” Steve replied.

Brock exhaled. “This is a relief. Thanks Stephan,” he said, looking down at his Sandslash.

“No problem,” Stephan replied. “Glad I could help.”

Brock turned to Ella. “Before you go…” He held out three items. One appeared to be a disk reader, with a round circle indented into the top, a disk in a protective cover, and a small silver badge. “This disk reader allows you to teach Pokémon new moves from Technical machines or hidden Machines if you can get them. Just put the Technical Machine, in this case Rock Tomb in the reader and a pokéball on the round area and press the little green button. The other’s my badge, the Boulder.”

“Thank you,” Ella said as she looked at each of them. She might well find a use for them at some point.

Steve laughed as they walked back to the gym the next day after Nurse Joy had made sure he and Martin were back to their full strength. She had also informed them that Steve had learned Withdraw, and that the move had indeed saved him from being killed. Ella was very glad that he had done so, it would have been horrible to lose him.

“Few more battles like that one and I’ll be a Wartortle in no time.”

“Just no more frightening me that much, okay?” Ella asked. “Else one time, you might not be able to get back up again, especially if we’re not in a town.”

Steve nodded. “I will. Don’t worry, I have no intention of leaving you, Ella.”

Ella nodded. “Good. I don’t want to lose any of you.”

Brock was waiting for them when they returned to his gym. “I do hope your Mankey and Squirtle are alright? Wasn’t expecting the ceiling to collapse like it did.”

Ella nodded. “Nurse Joy said they’ll be fine. Steve’s got a slight scratch on his shell remaining, but otherwise he’s fine now. Martin’s just annoyed that he didn’t get to finish off Orion, but he understands why that wasn’t something he’d get to do.”

Brock laughed. “Yes, I’ve heard of the tempers that some Mankey can have. He might not have been able to beat Orion, but I’ll bet if you make it that far, he’ll be able to beat Bruno’s Onix to his own contentment.”

Ella raised an eyebrow. “Bruno? As in Bruno of the Elite Four?”

Brock nodded. “That guy’s a rock type lover. Like me. Only his teams a lot more varied than what I’ve got. You’ve got a long way to go before you reach them however. Somehow, I get the feeling that you might make it that far, maybe not even stop there. You could have what it takes to become Kanto’s new Champion, and boy do we need one. Sure we Gym Leaders do what we can to keep things running, but even we can’t keep Team Rocket away forever…” He paused. “Come to think about it..”

Me, Champion of Kanto? Wasn’t that something Drake had managed to do? Yet Drake was nowhere to be found. Ella paused. Team Rocket.. She’d heard about them as well. Drake had said he’d run them all off, but had not been able to find out who the boss was and get them to disband permanently. That had been the last she’d heard from him.

Ella looked at him again. “What is it?” He had paused for a reason. Surely, he had.

“You remind me of someone kid,” Brock replied. “A boy who came through several years ago. Managed to beat Orion with a Charmander I forget the name of the Charmander now though, who knew Metal Claw at the time. I hadn’t expected that.”

“A boy with red hair?” Ella asked. “That wasn’t someone called Drake was it?”

Brock pondered the question for a few moments. “Yes actually. I believe that was his name.”

Ella swallowed. “He was … no ..” she corrected herself, “He is my older brother. I’m looking for him. Do you know which way he went from here?”

Brock nodded. “Like everyone else, he headed for the cave that leads through Mount Moon to the East,” he replied. “Cerulean City lies behind it, but I would be careful if I were you. Heard there’s been trouble in the mines inside Mount Moon. I’d hate to think that Team Rocket are so close to Pewter, but if they do come out this way, I’ll deal with them.”

Ella winced. “Err, what do they look like?”

“Last I saw? Wore black, with a big red R on their shirts,” Brock replied. “Not particularly the brightest bulbs in the box, the ones I’ve dealt with in the past.”

Ella noted the description. “I suppose something to look out for while we’re travelling.. I just hope I don’t meet them any time too soon. Everyone’s still getting strong enough to defend themselves.”

Brock nodded. “It’s best that you do keep an eye out for them. They could be hiding anywhere, and I would not want to see them pick on someone like you. I hope you find Drake, it’s been a long time since anyone’s had any word of him, and last I heard, he’d gone through the Elite Four on his search for that leader.”

Ella raised her eyebrows. “Then that is where I need to aim for as well. Thank you for the information, Brock.”

Brock smiled. “Show them my badge when you get to the gate at Cerulean City. The gatekeeper wont let you un unless he knows you’re someone who’s come from me. They’re a lot more careful there.”

“Well, they don’t exactly have an Onix who can challenge people who come toward their city,” Ella replied. “Orion startled us when he stuck his head over the wall like that.”

Brock laughed. “True, they don’t have anything like him. Though if Misty ever gets some training in, they might end up with a Gyrados at some point. So far though, she keeps complaining that there’s no Magikarp to catch around her area.”

“Not sure that sounds any better, but thanks..”

Ella shuddered as she walked away from the gym.

Spr_3f_007.png
Spr_3f_016.png
Spr_3f_056.png
Spr_3f_025.png
Spr_3f_011.png

Last edited:

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Eyyy, your first gym battle with no deaths! Good job!

Couple wee things:
retrieved two pokéball's.

That's a plural, so there's no apostrophe!

Orion was nowhere to be seen in the gym! Had Brock recalled him.

There's meant to be a question mark at the end there, right?

I really like the image of Orion digging loads of tunnels around Pewter--useful way to get around, but probably pretty scary for humans to get into!

Vivace

Designated Meganium Defender
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
He/Him (They/Them is fine too)
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Fighting
  3. Rock
Pokédex Entry
The Lad Pokemon, Vivace's main powers are photoshop and chatting shit. Manages the unofficial nuzlocke football team.
Hey, I've caught up and am ready for some beta reading from here on!

>1
I very much like the mystery you're setting up! It gives me a lot of questions and you're doing well revealing the answers (and raising more questions) at a good pace, rather than dumping lots of info at once.
>2
I love Bailey so far, but Flora is just such a joy when she appears! I appreciate the personality you give your NPC pokemon, and the fact you give them names
>3
Oh nice, there's Martin! I like that his goofy accent is most present when he's mad. His speech is great so far!
>4
I'm enjoying Pete's lack of tact here. I'm wondering if that'll get the team in some trouble later down the line?
>5
I love the back and forth with the Bug Catcher! Ella’s concern for her pokemon is sweet to see. And the Onix tunnels are a really nice touch, I can visualise it well
>6
Great end to the Brock fight! And a little lore after to keep things going. The pace has been just right so far and I look forward to learning more about Drake and Team Rocket!

Erosaf

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Eyyy, your first gym battle with no deaths! Good job!

Couple wee things:

That's a plural, so there's no apostrophe!

There's meant to be a question mark at the end there, right?

I really like the image of Orion digging loads of tunnels around Pewter--useful way to get around, but probably pretty scary for humans to get into!
I loved the idea of changing up the gym battle teams a little. Orion knowing dig was planned, since this battle was over with two Water Guns from Steve in the game. Had to make it more interesting than that!
Hey, I've caught up and am ready for some beta reading from here on!

>1
I very much like the mystery you're setting up! It gives me a lot of questions and you're doing well revealing the answers (and raising more questions) at a good pace, rather than dumping lots of info at once.
>2
I love Bailey so far, but Flora is just such a joy when she appears! I appreciate the personality you give your NPC pokemon, and the fact you give them names
>3
Oh nice, there's Martin! I like that his goofy accent is most present when he's mad. His speech is great so far!
>4
I'm enjoying Pete's lack of tact here. I'm wondering if that'll get the team in some trouble later down the line?
>5
I love the back and forth with the Bug Catcher! Ella’s concern for her pokemon is sweet to see. And the Onix tunnels are a really nice touch, I can visualise it well
>6
Great end to the Brock fight! And a little lore after to keep things going. The pace has been just right so far and I look forward to learning more about Drake and Team Rocket!
Gotta name those NPC's if I can. Great to have you along for the ride, its going to be a wild one!
Pete does seem rather ... untactful at times. Poor Ella nearly had a heart attack when Steve learned Withdraw, but had to make that battle more interesting than just using Water Gun twice!

Spr_3f_007.png
Spr_3f_016.png
Spr_3f_056.png
Spr_3f_011.png
Spr_3f_025.png
“Pete, use Gust!”

Pete dove forward, flapping his wings hard. They’d encountered the kid who had called Cameron a weakling once more. This time it seemed Wilbur had become a Beedril. A Beedril who crashed to the ground as soon as Pete’s attack hit it out of the air.

The kid stomped off, recalling Wilbur as he left. “You’ll pay for that, bitch!”

Ella watched him go. “We’ll see about that, kid.”

She kept walking, glad that Pete had done so well against him.

-

A few days later as they were getting closer to the foothills of the mountains.

-

“Hey where you going? Haven’t seen anyone new in ages!”

Ella turned to the sound of the voice and saw a kid waving at her. “Oh hi there.” She walked over to him.

“Looking for a battle?” Ella asked as she reached the kid, who was wearing a yellow hoodie.

The kid nodded. “Most around here are bug trainers, so I could use someone different to practice against with Piper…”

Ella smiled. “As a matter of fact I do have a bug that needs evolving if that’s alright? I think he’s close to making it to his strongest form, but the rest aren’t bugs.”

The kid shrugged. “Sure why not? See how he goes. Might give me a challenge since most kids just have Caterpie and Weedle. Except that kid I heard got smacked around who had a Beedrill.”

Ella laughed. “That was my Pete the Pidgey who taught that kid a lesson. He needed it since he thought one of my team was useless, and he was asking for trouble.”

The boy laughed, raising a pokeball in his hand. “Yeah, he’s a bit of a bully that one. Glad someone was able to teach him a lesson.”

Ella nodded. “He sure did.” She backed away, picking up Cameron’s pokeball from her belt. Time to get Cameron to the point that he would evolve. He was so close, even Cameron knew he’d be a Butterfree soon.

The boy threw his pokeball. “Go Perun!”

Out appeared a Pikachu. “A battle eh, Sam?”

“Yes, but this ones not something for you to kill. We’re going to help this trainer out with evolving one of her pokemon. So hold back a little, alright?”

Perun nodded. “Will do.” He looked at Ella. “Who am I helping?”

“This one.” Ella smiled at him. “Thank you. Go, Cameron!”

Out came her Metapod.

Perun blinked. “Okay just how are you going to fight me with that? Metapod can’t fight back easily…”

“This one I have had since he was a Caterpie, so he doesn’t just know Harden,” Ella replied. “So leave that part to him.”

Perun nodded. “Right…”

Ella smiled slightly. “Cameron? Harden!”

Cameron went silver as Perun came running quickly toward it after being told to use Quick Attack. Perun went bouncing right off of it, not seeming to have done any damage.

“I won’t use Thunder Shock as that might do too much damage,” the boy said. “Harden won’t protect very well against that.”

Ella nodded. “I appreciate that,” she replied. “Cameron? String Shot if you would?”

Cameron didn’t fire the strong white silk at Perun, instead it aimed for the branch of a tree above it.

“Quick Attack, Perun!”

Perun went running toward Cameron, who dodged by swinging up into the air using its own string. A moment later he came swinging backwards and slammed into Perun’s tail as Perun looked around in confusion as to where he had gone.

“Ow!” Perun said, looking back at him. He frowned though. “You okay though?”

Ella looked over at Cameron hearing the concern in the Pikachu’s voice. Cameron had swung away from him and dropped to the ground, a large crack showing in his shell. “Cameron?”

The boy hurried over as she did. “I hope he’s alright…”

The crack was only getting wider as they got closer to where Cameron had landed.

Ella stared as something white seemed to emerge from the crack slowly, the entire Metapod shell shaking as it did. Wings?! “Cameron?”

Soon Cameron was fluttering about over their heads. “I made it! Thank you!”

Perun looked up at him. “You’re welcome, even if you did scare me that I’d killed you…”

Cameron fluttered around for a little bit longer, getting used to his wings. “I needed that hit actually. Been trying to break free of that shell for a while.” He looked down at Ella. “Think I need Pete to give me some flying lessons…”

Ella laughed. “For a bug that scared me a little just now, I think that can be arranged. Very glad we were able to help you Cameron!” She looked at Perun. “You know, you’re not the first Pikachu I’ve met.”

“Really?” Perun asked. “We’re not exactly common..”

“No.. but..” Ella grinned at him, before she released Pia. “Come over here Pia, someone for you to meet..”

Pia turned around and blinked. “Another Pikachu! Wow!” She paused. “Who’s the Butterfree?”

“It’s me Pia!” Cameron said as he managed to land on Ella’s head.

“Ca… cam… Cameron?! Wow!”

Perun smiled. “I helped him evolve.”

Pia looked at him. “Thank you.”

Ella smiled, lifting a hand to touch one of Cameron’s big soft wings she could see out of the corner of one eye. “Thank you Perun, Sam, for helping Cameron. It’s good to have him out of that shell at last. I was starting to wonder what it would take to get him out of there.”

Sam smiled. “No problem. If you ever find us again, we’d be happy for another battle. Right Perun?”

Perun nodded. “Sure would. After all, we’ve got others who need to get stronger too. Sometimes we’re out near Cerulean or Fushia too.”

Ella grinned at them. “I will keep an eye out. Never know, next time it might be me helping one of your companions.”

Sam chuckled. “Wouldn’t that be something. I hope that does happen. See you around somewhere.”

Ella smiled. “Sure will.” She let Pete out of his pokeball. “Hey Pete, feel like giving Cameron some flying lessons while we’re travelling?”

“What?” Pete asked, looking around before he spotted Cameron. “Oh hey, you evolved Cameron! You made it!”

Cameron nodded. “I sure did,” he replied in that suddenly high pitched voice that he seemed to have gained with the evolution. “Though flying feels a little difficult at the moment.”

“Aww you’ll get the hang of it. Come on lets go!” Pete said as he took off from the ground.

Ella chuckled as Cameron’s wings flapped on either side of her head a few times before the beautiful Butterfree took off from her head and followed after Pete into the air.

“Hey wait for me!” Cameron called as he followed after Pete.

Ella smiled. “Keep him safe, Pete!”

“Will do, Ella, don’t worry!”

Ella smiled as she started walking, Pia by her side.

“I wonder if I will ever get to evolve..” Pia said as they walked. “We can’t just spontaneously do that..”

“No, but if I can find a Thunder Stone somewhere, you’ll be the one who gets it,” Ella said. “I’d love to have a Raichu one day.”

Pia smiled, jumping up onto her shoulder. “I’d like to be one. We’ve all gotten so much stronger while we’ve been with you. I’m glad I found you when I did.”

Ella smiled, starching between Pia’s long ears. “I’m glad I found you too.”

Now that they were in the foothills of Mount Moon, Ella was confused. They’d been walking through the random valleys for a while, and yet there was no sign of the Pokemon Center that was supposed to have been set up right outside the entrance to the pass. Trainers she’d met had said there was one.

“We’ll find it,” Pete said as he landed down on the ground at their latest campsite.

Steve nodded. He had grown bigger, and had odd curly white ears and a white tail now. He’d evolved on their searching into a Wartortle. “We will find it, Ella. We just have to find the right place.”
Spr_3f_007.png
Spr_3f_016.png
Spr_3f_056.png
Spr_3f_025.png
Spr_3f_012.png
[/SPOILER]

SayleeK

Johto League Champion
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Awww, congrats to Cameron on evolving! Lucky they found such a nice kid and nice Pikachu to fight ;)

Vivace

Designated Meganium Defender
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Brave
Pronouns
He/Him (They/Them is fine too)
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Fighting
  3. Rock
Pokédex Entry
The Lad Pokemon, Vivace's main powers are photoshop and chatting shit. Manages the unofficial nuzlocke football team.
I love the Onix tunnels here very much, it's some excellent worldbuilding as we find out how different this version of Kanto is to the one we know in the games. And yes, nicely done on the Gym battle!

Erosaf

Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 1, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Dragon
Awww, congrats to Cameron on evolving! Lucky they found such a nice kid and nice Pikachu to fight ;)
So happy to have him make it to Butterfree. Going to have a lot of fun with him!
I love the Onix tunnels here very much, it's some excellent worldbuilding as we find out how different this version of Kanto is to the one we know in the games. And yes, nicely done on the Gym battle!
I figured its an interesting twist to have in the gym.

Spr_3f_007.png
Spr_3f_016.png
Spr_3f_056.png
Spr_3f_025.png
Spr_3f_012.png
When they woke up the next morning, Ella noticed that Martin was staring intently at one of the bushes.

“Something up Martin?” she asked.

He nodded, not taking his eyes off that bush. “Sommat’s in there, won’t come out .. something purple.”

Ella raised her eyebrows. “I see.” She looked toward the bushes, blinking as she made out the small form hidden within.

Ella smiled as Steve came walking over to them. “Hey! Who’re you?” Steve asked. “Come on out. We’re not going to hurt you.”

The small light purple Pokémon came out from between the bushes nervously, toward them.

“I’m… Nicolai..” he said. “I’m… a Nidoran.”

Ella’s eyes widened. A Nidoran? She hadn’t thought there were any of them left in the wild! “You’re… not something I expected to meet.”

Nicolai shook his head, long ears drooping. “Not many of us left. People keep hunting us, not to have as a friend… but to kill us. Rest of my family died some time ago. I’ve only lived because I’m small. I’ve been able to hide in places they can’t get to me. Even Ekans can’t get into my hiding places.”

Ella frowned. “Hunting you? That’s not right!”

“For our horns…” Nicolai replied. “Dad was the last one of the family left aside from me… He told me to hide, so I did. When all the noise was gone… he was dead, they’d removed all his horns and left him to rot. A Nidorino.”

Ella frowned again. “Well, that’s not going to happen to you. You’ll be safe with me.”

Nicolai settled onto his stomach. “I am glad to hear it. You’ll find no more of us near here. Used to be a tonne.”

Ella smiled. “The others here are my Pokémon, Steve is the Wartortle, Pete is the Pidgey, Pia is the Pikachu and Cameron is the Butterfree with us. The one who was watching your hiding place was Martin, my Mankey.”

“Nice to meet you!” Steve said, nodding at him. “Good to have another friend with us, and from what I’ve heard… you could become really powerful too!”

“I wouldn’t have hurt yeh. I was just curious as to what I could see,” Martin chimed in. “Not seen anything like yeh before, dat’s all.”

Nicolai smiled. “If I grow a lot more, yes. However… one day I’d like to become a Nidoking. Not been one in these parts for a very long time. Only Nidoran and Nidorino.”

Ella smiled. “One day, perhaps you will be. Can you fight?”

Nicolai nodded. “I know a few moves yes.”

Ella smiled. “Will be interesting to see what you can do.”

Nicolai shook his head. “Let’s just see what happens. I have the feeling this is the place I need to be, really.”

Pete looked down at him from the branch he’d settled on. “You will be safe here.”

__

“Hey you! Want a battle? Also... what’s wrong with you? You’re not wearing shorts!”

Commenting about what I choose to wear? That’s a new one! Ella turned as a younger boy came along the path behind them. “Who me?”

“Do you see anyone else around?” the kid retorted.

Ella looked around, as if searching for someone else to have been the one he was talking about. “Oh... no. So, you want a battle after suggesting I have bad fashion sense?” She reached into her bag. “Fine with me.”

“One Pokémon only!” The kid said, raising a pokéball. “I’ve only got the one.”

Ella nodded, shrugging. “Fine with me. This one needs training up after all. Time to see how good he is.”

The kid chuckled his ball. “Go, Remi!”

Out came a Rattata.

Ella blinked. He’s bigger than I would have liked to see.

“Go, Nicolai!”

Nicolai appeared before looking back at her. “Battle is it? At last!”

Ella nodded. “Very much so, Nicolai. Do try not to kill that Rattata, would you?”

Nicolai turned and looked back at the much smaller Rattata. “I can try…”

The kid looked a little worried. “Remi, Hyper Fang!”

The Rattata ran forward toward Nicolai who stood waiting, and barely flinched when the Rattata bit him on the ear.

“You call that a bite?” Nicolai asked, looking down at the purple rat.

“Nicolai? Double Kick!”

Nicolai snorted, turning around swiftly before kicking the Rattata hard with both his back legs, one after the other. The Rattata was knocked backwards and did not get up. As the Rattata hit the ground, Nicolai seemed to glow, growing quite a bit, the tips of his ears almost reaching her waist now, instead of her knees. He also seemed to get a bit leaner, the horn on his head was longer and sharper.

“I don’t believe it!” Nicolai turned to look at her. “Did I just do what I think happened?”

His voice is certainly deeper now! Ella nodded. “You’re a Nidorino!”

The kid who had recalled his Rattata gasped. “I never saw that coming! That’s pretty cool that one!”

Nicolai turned to look at him. “Thank you. Ella’s been training me well!” He looked at her. “I can’t wait to see how the others react when they see me!”

Ella grinned. “They’re all in for a surprise. You’re taller than any of them, aside from Steve, but I think its not much of a difference for that one height wise. We’ll have to take a look!”

Nicolai laughed as he walked away from the kid with her. “We’ll see! Now I’m just like my father!”

“And a step closer to being a Nidoking!” Ella commented. “We just need to find you a Moon Stone, and then, once you think you’re ready, you’ll be able to become a Nidoking!”

Nicolai nodded. “I think that is going to be the hard part. Both finding the stone.. and knowing when to use it!”

Ella chuckled. “I think we will know when the right time is. I don’t think it will be for a while though. You need to get used to being what you are now.”

The two walked for a while longer before stopping to set up a campsite, Ella releasing her Pokémon as they did so.

“Woah! Look at you!” Steve said as he spotted Nicolai. “You went and evolved, didn’t you?”

Steve nodded. “I sure did. Nidorino now. Just like dad..”

Ella smiled. “Only you’re going to go a lot further than him with me around. I promise.”

Nicolai nodded. “I really think I might be!”

-

Finally somehow they’d spotted the pokemon center. Everyone had been very glad to see its outline that evening so they’d hurried on toward it.

Ella frowned as they got closer to the old building. Why weren’t the lights on? We could have walked past it several times with no knowledge that we had!

Nicolai looked up at her. “I don’t like this… I hope its not abandoned..”

Ella grimaced. “So do I, Nicolai,” she said. “I have to hope there is someone in there who can look after all of you.”

Plus it would be nice to be in a place where Martin didn’t have to keep watch for once. She knew he did not mind doing that, even so, it would be nice for him to not have to worry.

She moved closer to the building, letting Nicolai go first after he insisted.

“I can barely see,” Nicolai said.

Ella paused. “Back out, Nicolai. Let’s get Pete in there.”

Nicolai nodded, backing out slowly. Once he was clear, she released Pete.

“What can you see in there, Pete?”

Pete nodded, flying toward the doorway before landing just inside. “Well, there’s not much in here. No one is moving about,” he said. “I don’t think there’s anyone in here, I can’t see anyone.”

Ella winced. “That’s … a shame,” she said. She’d been hoping there would be.

“Doesn’t look like there’s been anyone else in here for quite a while,” Pete said. “Lots of dust.. and no sign of any footprints.”

-

Ella sighed. “Well, I guess we’ll just have to camp outside again. At least we should be right outside Mount Moon at this point..”

-

In the morning, they did indeed see a dark cave looming right behind the pokemon center. Ella peered into the darkness, Pete sitting on her shoulder. She would have to rely on his sight in here.

“Not a very pleasant place to be travelling through,” Pete said as Ella stepped inside the cave.

“Food… food… blood.”

Ella winced, freezing on the spot. “What the? Or should I say, who the?” She had never heard anything like that before!

“Look out!” Pete said. “Get down!”

Ella ducked as something tapped her on the head as she did so. Pete gave a startled squawk a moment later. “Watch it…”

“Newcomers eh?” said a more friendly voice in the dark. There was the sound of a rock hitting the wall and an annoyed screech. “Best watch out for those Zubat’s, they’ll eat any human who doesn’t look out in here.”

“Who?” Ella really wished she could see who had just helped them out.

“There’s a talking rock looking at us,” Pete said, tapping on her shoulder so she knew which way to look. “Down on the ground.”

“Oi! I’m a Geodude,” the Geodude corrected. “Names Gordon. Those Zubat are always looking for an easy meal but they don’t like coming face to face with someone like me. We’re of little interest to them, we scare them off easy enough. Saw you coming.. birdy.”

“Who are you calling birdie? Names Pete!” Pete flapped his wings in indignation

“Relax Pete,” Ella said, looking at him. “And watch out for my head!”

“Sorry,” Pete said. “Still, why a rock? He could throw those at me..”

“Counterproductive that would be,” Gordon said. “Kid needs your eyesight in here. Humans don’t see too well.”

“Not like I have a torch, Pete so he has a good point.” Ella smiled in the direction Pete had indicated. “Thank you for the help Gordon.”

“You’re welcome. What’re you doing in here anyway if I might ask? Only humans we’ve had in here recently weren’t very nice. Black they wore.”

Ella winced. “I’m just trying to get through the caves to Cerulean City. We’ve got a second gym badge there to collect.”

“Well then, I’ll guide you through, and help you if you need it. That way, you don’t have to worry about all these Zubat.” That said, Gordon lobbed a second rock past them at another Zubat he’d heard coming.​
Spr_3f_008.png
Spr_3f_016.png
Spr_3f_056.png
Spr_3f_025.png
Spr_3f_012.png
Spr_3f_033.png
Spr_3f_074.png
- Gordon

Users who are viewing this thread