• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Comic Alola Other Adventure Gijinka Judgement Has Come to You

Thread Description
a "dark" moon gijinkalocke - updates on the 28th - current page: 2.4

SaintsGarden

Rune Collector
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 29, 2020
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
No Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
Pokédex Entry
Actually, Saint was the name of the scientist. You're thinking of Saint's beleaguered creator, Garden.
ded0nyv-0c9ff373-3138-4ccf-a0bb-947ef763cb28.png

Bullet Hell and Judgement-Day-Has-Come have been friends for over a decade. When Judgement says, "I have a hitlist," what's Bullet to do? Refuse to help her dearest friend? Of course not! However, Bullet is quite familiar with the dangers of picking a fight with those in power -- and she isn't going to let Judgement die in this particular struggle.

A somewhat absurd and more than somewhat sincere gijinkalocke nuzcomic with special rules. Gameplay: COMPLETE!

A Few General Content Warnings: References to and non-gruesome depictions of violence, torture, and gore. Also, characters swear sometimes.

READ ON DEVIANTART
READ ON COMICFURY
Or read it on here, it's up to you.​

SaintsGarden

Rune Collector
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 29, 2020
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
No Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
Pokédex Entry
Actually, Saint was the name of the scientist. You're thinking of Saint's beleaguered creator, Garden.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
ded3sks-17557397-d9e1-45f6-8524-ae0da978eb72.png

hope you enjoy! ;u;

deviantart | comicfury | twitter

So... this is a bit longer than future notes hopefully will be as I want to talk a bit about the page but mostly about the run in general

Please don't think the writing on the note matters. It Does Not Matter. If you ever see something written in a substitution cipher I 100% grabbed from the Pokémon anime, the characters will say the important part in plain text. If you want to 'decipher' it (if you CAN... because my handwriting is not GOOD...) that's fine, that's cool, but it's just character names you'll learn eventually anyway. Don't Worry About It

Anyway. The character's names. There's a few reasons why they're like that (ie. their shortened forms -- Bullet, Judgement -- are just what I named them in the gameplay, choosing a theme for each typing/group and running with it) but in the comic I wanted to make it clear that many of the characters are native Alolan by drawing from something similar to Hawaiian naming convention for most of them without outright taking the names of real people or misusing random Hawaiian words without understanding the language myself. Something I had fun with in this regard is making it as if everyone's name in this comic is supposedly "translated" into their "literal meaning" -- even the non-native characters from Galar, Kanto/Johto, et cetera, so you end up with guys named Man Brave wwwwwwww

For the special rules at the end, I did decide on those before playing. I knew it would dictate a huge portion of the narrative and themes, so I didn't want it to be a dud or end up being so overpowered that it ended up being boring. It was not either. The gameplay is still a bit of a mess, though. I did manage to complete my win condition for the gameplay, but not without invoking the bullshit clause exactly once due to the worst possible misclick that resulted in a wipe. I'm explaining this now even though it happens very late into the game itself for a battle that narratively will likely be depicted as something other than a battle anyway, because I know that can be a turn off for some people

In 5 years when we get to that point I'll definitely explain it fully so don't worry

critics everywhere have been asking, what happened to your storylocke, garden? our rotating world or whatever? well i did the math and realized if i doubled my work pace i would be able to finish it with the amount of work i was putting into each chapter ... in 2030 :) but only if i. doubled my pace. :)

Last edited:

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
I love how causally Bullet agrees to helping Judgement with her hit list of practically every high ranking/dangerous figure in the region, and how causally okay Bullet's mom is with mass murder. I also love their full names. I look forward to seeing how casually they'll go about Judgement's hit list.

localhoney

the smooth jazz of bastards
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 17, 2020
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Poison
The title of this alone caught my eye! I'm highkey cackling at the premise of this run and interested to see where it goes. Hopefully Bullet didn't have to rush that waterboarding too much, even if Judgement's list seems to be pretty high-priority. Digging the art style too, reminds of those flip comics you could make on the DSi but like, when you were super talented and everything looked good.

SaintsGarden

Rune Collector
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 29, 2020
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
No Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
Pokédex Entry
@ACottontail eheheh, thank you! i definitely wanted to lean into the "murder is deeply normalized" appeal. i hope you enjoy their roadtrip

@localhoney this makes me so happy wwwwwww i didn't intentionally choose to emulate the flipnote style for this, but considering how much time i spent on it as a kid... i definitely enjoy going back to it 9u9 and don't worry... bullet never leaves a job undone!

dee67kl-c6070817-8b38-44b2-986c-08310af711c3.png

this page gets a mid-month update instead of going up on the 28th because i decided it'd be better to make sure judgement gets a chance to establish itself before going on a monthly schedule... thanks for reading!

Garden Notes

This page is a representation of me accidentally ruining the first route encounter and ending up with ~*nothing*~! There's also a bit about the state of Alola in this comic and maybe a little insight into Melemele's Kahuna Territory -- I wanted to somewhat give the impression that they're probably living a little differently than the rest of the region.

I didn't quite figure out what I was doing with the screentones at this point, but I did get a lot more comfortable with them. I also had to draw a lot of NPC character designs for this page... all of my bird Pokémon gijinka get bird-like ears unless the design directs otherwise, sorry lol.

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
I love the guy who is just like "No <3" Of course they are going to get rejected if they go up to a bunch of comfortable people and ask them to overthrow the government. Judgement is more altruistic than I thought at first. At first Judgement seemed to just want to off the government for the heck of it, though she does bring up some valid points here.(And somehow they have tourists XD) Still I wonder who is calling out for help? Could it be Nebby? I can imagine Nebby starting out as a little kid who wants to help out but isn't very strong, then evolving into a legendary death machine by the end of the comic. I wonder if Nebby will be on it's own, with Lillie, or perhaps the first catch who starts off in a role similar to Lille?

SaintsGarden

Rune Collector
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 29, 2020
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
No Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
Pokédex Entry
@ACottontail your thoughts about how nebby and lillie's storyline is going to potentially be reinterpreted in this story made me grin like the devil, which i mean in the best way possible! and i'm glad those traits of judgement's came through with the context of the first two pages -- both their flippant and blasé attitude and the genuine ideological convictions that perhaps lie beneath that. thank you for the comment and especially thank you for reading!

def1pof-32b772eb-9df3-4db4-b943-f5c9a4441955.png

Garden Notes

A new character approaches!

This page is around the time where I, very luckily, got a handle on using screentones in CSP. Which is good, because if I didn't, the other method to create effect I went for with Heavenly's hair would've been... well, hellish wwwwwww

Part of why I decided to dive into this comic was to create new opportunities where I'd need to teach myself how to draw different types of dynamic scenes, with action and movement. I consider this page my first step into that.

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
Judgement kicking that Aether grunt in the face was way funnier than it had any right to be. I love how causally she brings up her goals to Heavenly. I feel like Heavenly has quite a few bones to pick with the Aether foundation, and I assume the Aether foundation has a positive image with most of the world despite the atrocities like hurting Heavenly they cause in secret. Though Heavenly appears to be a Cosmog, so I wonder what's in the bag?(I bet it's rare candies XD). For some reason I'm both getting innocent child like and suspicious vibes from Heavenly.

Moon

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Sassy
Pronouns
They, Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Because they're the two rarest types, they're the rarest pokemon. Yes, that's logical. No, there aren't other Ghost/Ice types. Froslass doesn't exist.
oooooooooo
I find entertaining how okay the mom is with them going to destroy the government.
Also, I wonder who 'the guy' Heavenly knows is.

vizarding

bug aficionado
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 20, 2021
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
A artist hailing from the land of Stephen King's Maine, avoiding evil clowns and drawing day and night.
I'm absolutely in LOVE with this, from the concept to the character designs to the ART! I love your style and your character designs, and your use of screentones! This is SO nice and I can not WAIT to see where it's going!

Garnet

Onion Boy
🌱Featurer
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/He
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A strange Pokémon that claims to be both an artist and writer, yet almost never has any work to show for either.
I love this so much. The concept. The character designs. "'Mooooom, we're gonna go murder some dudes!' 'Alright, take this gun and stay safe!'" Judgement just straight up cracking a guy's skull. The sheer casualty with which they declare that they're going to overthrow the government. "Gender: Cat". Absolutely brilliant, I have to see where things go from here.

SaintsGarden

Rune Collector
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 29, 2020
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
No Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
Pokédex Entry
@ACottontail rare candies would've absolutely been worth the spat she had with those guys lollll -- suspicious and childlike, huh? heavenly would probably get huffy at that description, but i think that's fitting for the vibe she gives off here (your comments on each page are always a treat to read)

@Moon "murder is ok as long as you stay safe <3" --bullet's mom, basically. thank you for reading!

@vizarding AAAAAAA tysm T__T!!!!!! character designs are one of my biggest creative drives, so being complimented on them in particular makes me really happy. i'm glad you like it so far!!!! screentones are very weird to learn in csp and not traditional lol!!! figuring out the "crosshatching (for tonescrapping)" brush under effects>hatching was a gamechnger

@Garnet lmaoo thank you for appreciating gender: cat... it's a bit more complicated, but let's just say the contrast is an important tool that'll help us later :] i hope you enjoy the ride!

degpv7i-0deaffbc-ffd4-4325-b2ec-4eca50d65f34.png

Garden Notes

WOO GUARD YEAH WOO FINALLY I GET TO INTRODUCE HER!! Okay, not really. She's not even the guy we're here for. I just really enjoyed designing a Yungoos gijinka, which surprised me. But the guy we ARE here for... I'll give you two guesses to figure out which Pokémon he is before he gets properly introduced on the next page, lol.

Anyway, judgementlocke now has its own blog! I'll be posting page updates, extra art, and eventually keeping an updated cast page all in one neat little place. Also, if you want to ask me whatever about the comic, that's cool too. Speaking of extra art...

de5aha3-a5b5f098-f2c1-4662-a59d-64a440763f8f.png

vizarding

bug aficionado
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 20, 2021
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
A artist hailing from the land of Stephen King's Maine, avoiding evil clowns and drawing day and night.
Aaaa I'm so excited to meet the guy we're here for, I just adore this run so far and can't wait! Also that extra art is SO cute, I adore it.

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
From the first panel it looks like this place was struck by a flood of some kind in the distant past. I like how Judgement asks Heavenly how she knows the guy she knows isn't a ghost, and then they literally end up being ghost type. I assume they are the stand in for the Rotomdex and will be the brains of this operation. By Guard asking Heavenly if she's being harassed by delinquents again implies that this is a common occurrence, either from delinquents being common in a run down area of Melemele or much more likely the Aether foundation. I sense some serious bad blood between Heavenly, Motor and the Aether foundation, which I feel like will be the reason why they help Judgement.

SaintsGarden

Rune Collector
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 29, 2020
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
No Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
Pokédex Entry
@vizarding ahhh thank yuo again !! i am also excited for everyone to meet the guy we're all here for :) i'll admit now he is both fun to draw and brings out the most fun-to-draw judgement faces

@ACottontail :3: i'm glad the silly little ghost-type joke landed even with only half of it (or maybe it's fine if i don't spell everything out, huh?) hearing which little details get noticed and how they get interpreted is fun too! i do try to put a lot of stuff in to give those suggestions, but how much is absorbed is mostly kind of unknown to me! thanks 4 reading ^__^

deiqvtq-de8e42c4-8994-4bc2-9b9b-631fb697ffb0.png

deviantart | comicfury | judgementlocke blog | twitter

Garden Notes

Thank you for being patient and waiting a couple extra days for me to upload this one. I made a note here and on nuzforums but idk if (many) people saw it. I've had a rough week lol anyway

(sniffs) The core team's all here and properly introduced and together... (and by "core" I mean "no, none of them can die permanently... in the gameplay, at least" :3: ) Motor's species might've been more obvious due to his name than his actual appearance especially since you can't see his colour palette in comic... but yes, he is the rotomdex. I guess he's also technically our Professor stand-in? But obviously his role is a little different here, hm?

In my drafts this and 1.4 were one page, but it was too long, and these are both decent sizes on their own. But as one page I think it made the 'are they a ghost?'/ghost-type joke funnier... tch... ah well.

deiqy23-842d8b24-49e5-42f7-9656-54056c08e531.png

vizarding

bug aficionado
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 20, 2021
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
he/they
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Aaaa his design is killer! I love him! Your art just continues to amaze.

DistortionLocke

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Anxious, sweet-toothed writer who hides amongst the papers. Only attacks when provoked.
Love your version of the Rotomdex and Cosmog!

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
Wow, I can understand his parents naming Motor, Motor that turns the world, but eats fire is really over the top. Heavenly probally has had a run in with Aether before; either leaving a toxic family or being pulling in from another dimension, but I wonder if Aether created or experimented on Motor too that would turn him against them. He is estranged from his family after all. It would explain how Heavenly and Motor know each other if they escaped together. XD Judgement trying to kill Motor for wasting their time. I feel like Judgement's quickness to pull out the blade is going to get them into trouble one day. Still logistics is a pretty important part of a coup Judgement probably overlooked. I doubt having 20 people camp out next to the enemy base they're going to raid the next day would go well. Still I can sense Heavenly being like "What do you mean by clumsy" in the background when Motor makes his comment.

SaintsGarden

Rune Collector
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 29, 2020
Nature
Serious
Pronouns
No Pronouns
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
Pokédex Entry
@vizarding hearing that you think my art is amazing makes me really happy, because your art/comic is really inspiring ;o; -- tysm for reading and commenting!!

@DistortionLocke i'm glad you like them!! they went through the most passes of design iteration before their introductions, so -- i'm quite proud of them myself ^__^ thank you!

@ACottontail it's extravagant, isn't it? i think it'd be interesting if electric type naming conventions had a general tradition of conveying the idea of "powerful machines with a great fuel cost". judgement being so impulsive probably reflects badly on their namesake, lol, so hopefully they don't act on that angry impulse too much... bullet's a good stabilizer for them in that sense! thank you again for reading and giving feedback 🙇‍♀️

dekh5zh-5b80784c-887a-40ac-aaa9-5721750ae637.png

deviantart | comicfury | judgementlocke blog | twitter

Garden Notes

... :) Nothing much going on with this page, just some side characters chatting about the day they've had. Heavenly's bag must've been quite heavy lugging that big rock around, though.

DistortionLocke

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Anxious, sweet-toothed writer who hides amongst the papers. Only attacks when provoked.
Horns? Interesting...

I feel bad for Motor; he’s just worried about Heavenly...

Users who are viewing this thread