• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Should this run be categorized as a Screenshot run?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Description
A Pokemon Platinum castlocke featuring Vox Machina, amateurish screenshots, occasional dips into fanfiction territory, (valiant) attempts at being funny, and fun with nerdy voice actors who play Dungeons and Dragons. | Uploads every other Thursday! Episode 30 coming 4/15! The Q&A is here! :D The gameplay is complete!

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I respect this proprietor's honesty. Kudos to you, sir.

Oh, I love when the environment helps you! 🌎 ❤

(guys help Dusclops might just be the best counter to my team that there is)
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • My only SE move being Faint Attack on Scanlan

Good thing there isn’t a ghost type Elite Four member in Sinnoh.
There’s one in the generation before and after this one, though. I snuck right in. >_>

A hypothermia aesthetic, but still.
HYPOTHERMIA IS NOT A REAL AESTHETIC!

...Hang on. What was that you said, right before?

YOU HAVE FLY, AND YOU’RE CHOOSING TO GET HYPOTHERMIA FOR THE ‘GRAM!?

Also, who do you have Fly on? Hawlucha doesn’t exist yet!

Maylene:

Wait, no, I won’t snitch..! Come back..!

Oh boy time for the best part of the game.

Scanlan, we need some Bardic Inspiration!

Hidden item montage… go!

Why, thank you, game, for that one (1) hint about an HM that is essential to both Mt. Coronet and Victory Road.

Er, what? Is this a holdover from Japanese dialog? I can't imagine localizers would expect most Westerners to know what this kid is talking about? I don't. ._.

Koga: "Am I joke to you?"

Also, if I hadn't caught the "I'm not much of a ninja either way" losing line, I would have thought that this kid was talking about cultural erasure. You know, the idea that a minority group must "assimilate" in order to have success.

If I were more educated about Japanese culture, that could be a fun run to do. Maybe a poison monolocke? Feel free to adopt this idea, folx! ^^

Hiker: "i dropped an hm"

Me:

Good thing this most important item is between two landmarks. But this still isn't good game design. >_>

Now resumes the hidden item montage!

...Huh, she’s gone. I’m sure it’s fine.

A Max Revive in front of the ghost’s house. Nice one, game. :P

Hang on, can people ski at age 5!? Is that legal!? (Note: Bowser has never skiied.)

What the fuck, Glaceon!? Stop having Snow Cloak!!!

Thanks, crit! c:

At level 42, Keyleth does not learn Power Trick!

YEESH SWAGGER BOOSTED CONFUSION DAMAGE IS NO JOKE!

I mean, there's a Revenge in there too, but. Yikes. Maylene, are you taking notes?

Even Stock Woman knows better than you, Maylene..!

And so does your Gym Trainer!

...Welp, Dice is being very punchable, from up on that cliff. How is Barry doing, I wonder..?

HAPPY STARAPTOR, BRONZONG, QUAGSIRE, MEDICHAM, RAICHU, MAGMORTAR, VESPIQUEN​

A green scarf snagged on a tree branch. Scanlan reaches out to it tenderly, but arm-cannons do not do “tender” well. Pike struggles against the storm to flutter up to the branch and gather the scarf in her mandibles. As Grog sees it, he scans the horizons. “If dat’s Barry’s scarf… Where is Barry?”

Vax looks at his sister. Although her Staraptor form does not do well in the cold, her avian powers of perception are their best chance of finding the boy in the blizzard.

The ranger takes to the skies with a renewed sense of purpose.

She sees a fully-leaved tree at the base of a cliff. She blinks rapidly. From her youth spent in forests, she knows that trees adapt to have needles, not leaves, in snowy climates, and that trees cannot grow that close to cliffs because their roots need space to gather nutrients from the ground.

From the time spent in this world, she knows that Barry has a Pokemon with a tree on its back. She calls out to it. Although she has forgotten its name, it seems like it has not forgotten her voice. The tree-turtle chuffs at her and trundles towards a cave.

A light emanates from inside the cave. In an uncharacteristic display of caution from a member of Vox Machina—but a logical demonstration of caution for someone alone—Vex calls out, “Hello?” as she lingers at the entrance.

The light burns on undeterred, but it warps around a shadow. “Vex.”

The Staraptor smiles. “Darling, we were worried about you.”

Barry Towers frowns at her and mumbles. In response, the ranger frowns back as she registers symptoms: shivering, paleness, stiff—stiffer than usual for him, anyway—movements, and mumbling. She might not be a cleric, but hypothermia is not something that requires magic to detect. Luckily, right now, his symptoms appear to be mild, but she can see how his eyes are flickering between her and the frigid outside.

“Why don’t we warm up for a bit, hm?”

“Working.” He waves a hand at his fire horse Pokemon—it looks like a bigger version of Vax’s first form—who is stomping at a collection of twigs, trying to stoke the fire already there. He picks up his trinket—it was on a 9—and rolls it again. This time, it lands on a 7. “Working on it.” Unfortunately, Vex can see that there is not enough tinder.

Still, that fire can be useful… “Can your horse breathe fire?”

The boy blinks at her. “Rapidash?”

Right. Percy has studied the Bulbapedia cover to cover, and while they use normal words to classify the creatures, they have made up names for them. “Yes, my apologies, darling.” Barry turns to the fire ho- Rapidash and summons it to his side. “Excellent! Can it breathe fire outside the cave?”

Barry and Rapidash trot right outside the cave. “Fire Blast. Up.” The equine raises its horn skyward and a great plume of flame comes out, like a flaming hand with fingers stretching out.

Ah. That explains why he did not do that inside the cave.

Soon, a wall of calls arrives: Vox Machina is on the scene! Scanlan and Pike prioritize Barry. As the boy leans against the warm fire type of a bard, the cleric examines Barry. “Did you bring food? Something warm?”

The boy shakes his head. “Had to hurry,” he murmurs.

True enough, Vox Machina thinks, but…

“Have you seen any of Team Galactic?” Percy asks. At the (former) gnomes’ glares, he squeaks, “What?”

While Scanlan and Pike aren’t happy that it was asked, Barry does answer it. “No,” he sighs. “Too much snow.”

“Then it’s probably too much snow for them too,” Vax reasons.

Barry’s gaze is still trained on the ground, though. “Hey,” Scanlan broaches. “What’s bothering you?”

“The gym.” At Vox Machina’s looks of confusion, the boy grabs at the Bulbapedia Percy keeps on him. The lord relinquishes the tome—it was Barry’s first, after all! The boy growls at his uncoordinated hands but manages to flip to a page about Snowpoint City, which seems to be nearby.

Percy summarizes to the rest of the group. “The Gym Leader of the nearby Snowpoint City specializes in ice type Pokemon.” He looks at Barry. “You think she can help?”

“It is not too much snow for her.”

That must be true, Vox Machina thinks.
---
It is too much snow. Galactic Commander Jupiter has been sent ahead of the equipment needed to capture Uxie at Lake Acuity.

It is a crazy amount of snow. The boss is crazy. He talks about invaders from another dimension, taking the forms of Pokemon but they can still talk? Crazy stuff.

Still, he is crazy rich….

Jupiter hears voices. She recognizes the drone of the Tower Tycoon’s kid, but… Those other voices? Those are new. She peers out. On their way to Snowpoint City is Barry Towers and a group of talking Pokemon—plus a Rapidash that does not seem to talk—with a Bronzong with black feathers around its neck leading the way.

Black feathers? Didn’t Mars talk about those..?

The memory flashes back to her: a Ponyta hoof driven through her knee, black feathers flaring, and a voice—no, two—coming out of its mouth. All she had remembered at first was her screaming, Skuntank spraying, and then the boss saying that she owed him.

The Tower Tycoon’s kid is crazy. Everyone in Sinnoh knows that. But… Those Pokemon are talking. The boss was right!

Does that mean that Sinnoh is wrong about Barry Towers being crazy!? No, no, there’s still the boy’s mother, but...

Jupiter’s head hurts, and there is a phantom pain in her knee. Her objective is to capture Uxie. The boss and his thinking people will do the rest.

Probably should have mentioned it last time, but this is a Keyleth.

...And Sneasel is always so tempting in Sinnoh. A good Weavile can be an OHKO against Cynthia’s Garchomp.
This Scanlan must have been summoned by the bardic performance!

Another really good Pokemon in this area—and in a radically different way. Weavile is a glass cannon, and Mamoswine can be a compelling tank: both against Cynthia’s Garchomp and Volkner. This may very well be Scanlan’s next form.
This Snover is a Vex. Damn, this is actually a case where I consider the duplicates (Sneasel, Swinub) to be better. Alas, Dupes Clause is a double-edged sword..!

Wait, this is Acuity Lakefront! I have another chance to-

I’m not sure if the game is trying to be nice by replacing a Vex Snover with another Vex Snover, or this is some kind of twisted joke…. 🤔

Ooh, another one of my favorite tracks! :D

r/fuckmindy

I'm not giving Keyleth to you! D:<

I… There's something wrong with this sentence, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I think it’s the word “vivacity.” That’s not a word you use to describe a human. That’s a word you use to describe, say, your pet.

Finally! A daily NPC I can get behind! 😤

Thanks for teaching me about PH Balance, man. I had a terrible chemistry teacher, so I never learned.

10/10, would review again.

Ooh, a kickback for the favorable review? Don’t mind if I do~

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Yeahhh level limits can be rough, especially with a long stretch between gym battles. But it is nice to have trainers to go back to when you do have to grind again! Aw, Keyleth heals the Magikarp! I knew she was my favorite for a reason. UM thank you for ripping the Mr. Men show from the deepest depths of my long term memory; I am shellshocked to remember that show existed.

“We didn’t start the blizzard”- another 10/10 chapter title. Spectacles has skied exactly one time and is also shocked that 5 year olds are allowed to do it. I felt like I was going to break every bone in my body the entire time. The soreness was REAL for like 5 days after (I am also like the least athletic person known to man so that doesn’t help). I love Snowpoint City music too!! Definitely one of the best in Sinnoh.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
@Spectacles : Depending on the game, keeping to the hard level limit can be the challenge itself! *looks at gym 3 (level 32) and gym 4 (level 34) in Kalos* The "economical" use of trainers is especially important in games where you either can't re-match trainers or that ability is limited. Luckily, for as difficult as Platinum is, that is not one of its difficulties! ^^

Keyleth sees a flopping Magikarp and sees herself. c:

As for the Mr. Men Show, it was actually one of my twin brother's favorite shows growing up! Whenever he got into a show, though, it would, within a few months, be cancelled. My mom called it "the kiss of death." :V

“We didn’t start the blizzard”- another 10/10 chapter title.
haha reference humor go brr brr

Yikes, that sounds scary! My parents went skiing with my aunt, and she was at this training lesson with preschool-age kids and she said the instructor, "If babies can ski better than me, then I don't belong here." She went inside to have some warm beverages. A wise woman! 😤

I think I have such a fondness for Snowpoint City—and snowy areas in games in general—because I live in a pretty cold climate, and it reminds me of home. :)

If you have played a TTRPG before, have you been inspired to make fanworks (fanfiction, fanart, etc.) of your campaign? How about fanworks for someone else’s campaign? Would you be OK with expanding the scope of Talks Jenga! to also talk about/ask questions about the run itself?

The answer to this question is a resounding yes for me. I’ve made fanworks for my own campaign, and this run itself is essentially a Critical Role fanfiction! ^^ In fact, my piece for Trans Female Pride Day 2020 is fanfiction of my own D&D campaign.

The other half of today’s question is perhaps more for my sake than yours? I don’t know. What I do know is that I have so many questions about Critical Role as potential Talks Jenga! questions, but that not all of my readers have watched Critical Role. In the interest of not asking questions that people can’t really answer, then, I started thinking about something that my audience has in common.

Which is this run???

I know, I know, it’s not exactly a leap of faith, but, again, I want this section of the run to be fun for people, so my question still stands: Would you be OK with expanding the scope of Talks Jenga! to also talk about/ask questions about the run itself?

*sigh* Time to look up another gym puzzle..!

Yep, I'm exhausted..!

Ooh, she’s a Piloswine trainer! This is a good analog for Candice's Piloswine!

EARTHQUAKE IS A 3HKO AND SURF IS ONLY A 2HKO

AND THE MAMMOTH IS FASTER

Good thing it used Ice Fang instead of Earthquake??? I think a high rolling crit Earthquake could kill Percy. ._.

Well, as it would turn out, the video I watched wasn't very helpful. So I did have some struggle. See you for yourself!

I'm the king of rock and roll~ If this doesn't scream baby YouTube, I don't know what does!

OK, just a few levels.

At level 43, Vax does not learn Future Sight!

At level 43, Scanlan learns Flamethrower, getting rid of Fire Punch!

Through the power of editing, it's done! :)

For starters—super glad this isn't Diamond/Pearl Candice.

Pure Power Medicham is scary!

Unfortunately, Candice's Platinum team has much more type diversity in its movesets. Take a look!

Take special note of Aerial Ace on Sneasel and Water Pulse on Abomasnow—they’re designed to counter 4x weaknesses.

Knowing how fast Sneasel is, I'm not sure if Keyleth will outspeed. I still think her Force Palm will OHKO, though, so she should still be fine.

For Piloswine, Percy is the best choice, despite… preliminary results. >_>

I'm worried about Water Pulse, but I still think that Scanlan is the best bet against Abomasnow. Surely Flamethrower will OHKO.
Like Keyleth, Scanlan just has to survive one attack. ...Which he can surely do. I mean, he just came back from the dead. He’s refreshed!

I'm afraid that by the time Froslass comes out, Hail will be up. As such, I will have to deal with a 100% accuracy Blizzard.
A fully healed Scanlan should do well.

But I'm actually inclined to use Grog.
Hear me out here!
  1. Thunder Wave will cut Froslass' speed, which will, if nothing else, lessen Froslass’ ability to threaten the rest of my team.
  2. Froslass has no super effective moves against Grog, so I should be able to get up a Nasty Plot.
  3. Nasty Plot + Thunderbolt= death.

At some point in there, I should try to slip in a screen, though.

But against who?

If Piloswine has already set up Hail, sure, I think that’s a good place. Since I want to avoid that 100% accuracy Blizzard at all costs, though, I shouldn’t do that if it hasn’t used Hail yet. Maybe Abomasnow?

Wait, leaving the gym resets the puzzle?

And there’s a gym trainer that I missed?

Hang on, last minute idea.

Flamethrower must OHKO now!

Er, what? I know Pokemon is a thing in this world, and so is fashion—through Pokemon Contests—but romance?

*looks at Maylene, who trudged through the blizzard to get to Candice*

Turn 1: Keyleth VS Sneasel
Aerial Ace!
Force Palm OHKO!

Excuse me!? Froslass now!?

I mean, I'll take Blizzard without Hail! But… Who to choose..?

Choice Specs, don't fail me now..!

Turn 2: Scanlan VS Froslass
Double Team!
Flamethrower OHKO!

Turn 3: Percy VS Piloswine
Earthquake!
Surf!

So close! (Wait, why was there a gym trainer with a stronger Piloswine than the gym leader???)

Turn 4: Percy VS Piloswine
Full Restore!
Surf!

Turn 5: Percy VS… Abomasnow!?
Excuse me!? This is not the match-up I signed up for!

Turn 6: Grog VS Abomasnow
I THOUGHT YOU WERE MORE TANKY THAN THIS

I'm sure Raichu is faster, but I can't risk Focus Blast missing or Thunderbolt not OHKOing.

I still think it is a mistake to send Scanlan out, though, with Piloswine still in the wings, so how about…

Turn 7: Vax VS Abomasnow
Water Pulse!

Much better!

Turn 8: Vax VS Abomasnow
Focus Blast!
Gyro Ball!

OK, fun fact: Gyro Ball is shit. For Vax's final moveset, I'll probably end up replacing it with Toxic or Flash Cannon. >_>

Turn 9: Vax VS Abomasnow
Moomoo Milk!
Focus Blast!

A crit!? Yikes!

If Vax dies, I think that will doom the run. So...

Turn 11: Scanlan VS Abomasnow
Focus Blast!

Turn 12: Scanlan VS Abomasnow
Flamethrower KO!

Turn 13: Percy VS Piloswine
Earthquake!
Surf KO!

You've earned my respect too, Candice.

I mean… What the fuck!? Wulfric gives ice type gym leaders a bad name! Wulfric gives Abomasnow a bad name!

After warming up at the Pokemon Center—Barry claimed Vox Machina were his own Pokemon to ward off suspicion—the boy leads the way to the same brown-roofed building that seems to be the centerpiece of every major city in this world. “Let me talk,” he warns them.

Scanlan tries to convince him to let him practice throwing his voice, but the boy shakes his head. “Talking Pokemon are…” He shakes his head. “They do not like it.”

The boy shouts out as he enters the gym. “Gym Leader Candice! There is danger!” Scanlan loves the kid, he really does, but he holds his head in his arm-cannons.

A teenage girl skids across the icy floors of the gym. “Oh my gosh, a challenger!”

Barry repeats himself. “Gym Leader Candice, there is danger.”

“Of losing? Finally! Y’know, I don’t get a lot of challengers up here. I admire your kiai!”

Vox Machina looks among each other. It seems like making her lose will be the only way to make her listen… Keyleth tentatively steps forth. The teen tuts at her. “Are you the challenger?” She looks at Barry and sends out a clawed, bipedal feline Pokemon. “Sneasel is my first Pokemon! Send out yours!”

Barry answers by sending out his horned beetle Pokemon.
---
Although Torterra is Barry’s strongest Pokemon, he does not use it at all. He opens the battle with his horned beetle Pokemon, Heracross. When she sends out a furry, mammoth-like Pokemon, he switches into Floatzel. Floatzel defeats the mammoth but falls to a yeti Pokemon, who also defeats Barry’s Staraptor. It’s not looking good.

But not according to Barry. He smiles as he sends out his Rapidash, who finishes off the work Staraptor put in.

“Too bad the Hail is still up! Froslass, use Blizzard-!”

But Rapidash is faster. “Sunny Day.”

Candice goes pale.
---
“Y’know, I’m a real good judge of character! I said you had kiai, and look what you brought to that battle! Kiai! All kiai!”

Barry looks embarrassed. Scanlan ribs the boy affectionately. “I mean, look: You have so much kiai that you have your own Pokemon cheer squad!” The teen winks at Vox Machina. “Don’t think I didn’t see that kiai in the stands!”

This Gym Leader has been so kind to Barry. Maybe…

Barry cuts to the chase. “Gym Leader Candice, there is danger.”

She nods. “You’ve said that. From what?”

“Team Galactic.”

Candice’s mouth hangs open vacantly. “What?” she finally manages.

Does no one send Messages in this dimension!? Percy and Vex, the most outraged of the group at ignorance, need to be held back by their best friend Keyleth and their brother Vax, respectively.

“OK, OK, so you’re clearly angry about this, but what is it?”

Vax’s head swarms with ways to explain the evil of the Remnants- “They want to destroy the world.” Oh, that works too.

“Destroy the world? But why? The world’s great!” Except it doesn’t. Actually, Vox Machina does not agree that this world is great—what with children with magical animals being the only source of order—but it’s the principle of the thing.

Barry seems to agree with them. “The world can be better, but it can not be better if it is destroyed.”

“But it’s not gonna be destroyed! We have Legendary Pokemon that prevent that from happening! One lives in the lake nearby, y’know?”

Barry turns to Vox Machina. “Sorry,” he says.

Candice frowns at the boy. “I’m sorry too, y’know, but Gym Leaders really aren’t supposed to get involved in things. That’s the Elite Four and Champion’s job, y’know? Gym Leaders are supposed to take care of local matters, and they do the region-wide stuff. That’s how politics work! Destroying the world definitely falls in the latter category.”

The Bronzong’s eye twitches. Politics? There can’t be politics without free will! Which Cyrus wants to eradicate! So no one will care that Vecna will destroy the world!

But the subject of Vax’s anger is the evil of the Remnants, not the ignorance of their victims, so he leads the charge to Lake Acuity.

Rolling for events! (You know, the event that will carry us through C Y R U S.)

Hang on. Scratch that. This actually is fine.

I swear I'm not cheating, you guys! ><’

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
Sorry, this isn't an update—one with new writing, anyway. This is an Extravaganza-flavored update: Specifically, my quest to remind you that Uncle Nuzlocke wants YOU to vote in the Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza.

Vote here by February 15th at midnight!​

I also wanted to thank everyone who helped put Jenga! on the ballot!

Read through the whole thread: 2020 may have not been a great year, generally speaking, but it was a great year for the creatives here on the Nuzlocke Forums. :)

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
I love the GIFs you used with your matchup analysis with Candice. She does have a surprising amount of diversity for an ice gym! Definitely not so easy as melting it all with fire!
Zhu Li, do the thing! Is my favorite response to anything ever.
Honestly don’t feel bad about your good events because I remember a time when I thought I was getting lucky with events and then promptly got NAILED.
Your team is so cool right now. It’s just so classic Sinnoh, even with a few Pokemon from different generations.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
Extravaganza update part 2: The results are out! Heap some love on the thread (and the amazing creators featured there) if you haven't already! 😍

I also wanted to heap some love on myself for a moment, if I may. :V

Jenga! got an Honorable Mention for Best Overall SSWL Run!

Now enough about me. Onto to getting you your update!

@Spectacles : Thanks! I pulled quite a few GIFs from Candice's actual anime appearance. :P life hack

I haven't yet watched The Legend of Korra yet, but looking for that GIF reminded me that I should.

The team appreciates your support! 😍

Hang on. I'm re-reading my post, and nowhere does it explicitly say hard level limits? I think I might be confusing this run with Brotherhood. ._.

There are hard level limits for gym leaders. The only gym leader left now is Volkner, and his ace is level 50. (Versus level 48 for Cyrus' ace. Oof.)

But no hard level limit for the Elite 4. I anticipate to lose Pokemon along the Elite Four, and the more Pokemon I lose, the harder the run gets…

So… Yeah…

That being said, my desire to keep my sanity will prevent me from leveling to exorbitant amounts. Cynthia's ace is level 62. I don't anticipate entering the Elite Four any level past level 60-63. Although I may end up saving some Rare Candies for whoever is left against Cynthia.

We good? Good!

The big challenge of this section is Cyrus, but I don’t want to lose sight of Volkner either.

Current forms I want for Cyrus:

• Raichu probably won't be faster than Crobat, but he should be able to outspeed Gyarados and Honchkrow
  • Maybe Nasty Plot can be set up against Houndoom?
  • Or I can use Choice Specs on Thunderbolt

• I don't think anything I have will outspeed Weavile
  • And Medicham won't take dark STAB well
  • And Magmortar has access to electric types as well, in case Grog falls

• With Water Absorb, he is not only a great counter to Houndoom but Gyarados as well
  • He might need a moveset tweak to be able to help with Gyarados, though
  • Maybe Strength instead of Rock Smash?

Current forms I want for Volkner:

• None of Volkner's Pokemon have grass type moves!

So that leaves Keyleth and Vex lacking a niche.

Let's see what (attractive) options they have.
Keyleth:
  • A tanky option for Volkner, in case Percy falls
  • Only Luxray has a super effective move
  • And big moves like Raichu's Focus Blast and Electivire's Giga Impact have no effect
  • However, half of Cyrus' team has dark STAB
  • ThunderPunch makes her viable against Crobat and Gyarados, though
  • And if I keep her as a Dusclops, Levitate will nullify Gyarados' Earthquake

• With a fighting type move, Weavile can be a good counter to other Weavile
  • Although I'm more tempted to break out Weavile for The League

• This is a generation where Gyarados can use its high attack stat!
  • However, Cyrus has some electric coverage
  • And Volkner is an electric gym leader

Vex:
  • Water/Ground is such a good defensive typing
  • Like I said before, Volkner has no grass type moves

• Every one of Cyrus' Pokemon has a rock weakness

• Every one of Cyrus' Pokemon has a rock weakness

Sorry for breaking your record, Vex. Er, sorry, BARBOACH.

Oh, and one more important note: I will still be using Fly for transportation. But I won't use the Fly Pokemon for battle. ...Because I don’t want to waste time.

Time to grab HMs!

Replacing Water Sport with Surf on Vex.

Replacing Pursuit with Rock Smash on Keyleth.

Putting Strength on Percy instead of Rock Smash, now that Keyleth has it.

The Seven Stars Restaurant is a great source of EXP and money.

Mt. Coronet is also a double whammy: both EVs and EXP!
  • Defense EVs from Bronzor
  • Attack EVs from Machoke
  • HP EVs from Clefairy

Some Fuego Ironworks and surfing around there provides some EVs that Mt. Coronet doesn’t provide.
  • Special defense EVs
  • And special attack EVs

At level 22, Vex learns Water Pulse, replacing Water Gun. At level 26, Vex does not learn Magnitude.

At level 30, Vex evolves into Whiscash! At level 33, Vex does not learn Rest. At level 33, Vex does not learn Snore. At level 39, Vex does not learn Aqua Tail.

At level 43, Keyleth does not learn Mean Look.

Hello, Pastoria City, my old friend. :) Not only is it the location of the daily super effective attack reducing berry NPC, but also the move relearner!

Keyleth learns ThunderPunch, replacing Shadow Sneak!

Ugh, I forgot that I need to slap on Rock Climb even before Mt. Coronet. Scanlan is still my only option. :c

And I'm going to choose to get rid of Confuse Ray. I know that there is a Mars/Jupiter multi battle coming up, and I think Lava Plume will be useful for that. If Scanlan needs a status move, I can try to get Will-O-Wisp.

Most of the gen 4 added evolutions are unequivocally better than their pre-evolutions. But whether to go with Dusclops or Dusknoir is always a toss-up for me. I think this team needs tankiness more right now. But it's good to have this option.

Team Galactic won't get away with it. ...No thanks to the game's design. ._.

I mean, COME ON! Even X/Y understood to keep the evil team lair (somewhat) hidden. I mean, realistically, someone can get so lost in Lumiose City that they never encounter or, like, forget Lysandre Cafe.

You heard Jupiter: If you don’t have stronk, you don’t have rights.

You know, with this line, I wouldn't blame you if you thought Jupiter was about to (at least try to) kidnap your rival.

But, no, off she walks. And we kind of let her. >_>

HEAR THAT, KIDS!? DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!

I get that the next objective needs to be obvious, but why can't the rival say something like "I was spying on the Team Galactic commander and overheard her talking about a headquarters in Veilstone!"

It completes the same objective AND gives the rival more to do in the plot!

You mean you're not going to use that 0% accuracy Action Replay code!?

In all seriousness, I do like this scene. I love the "personal growth from a sobering defeat" trope.

I’m not an AmourShipper—and X/Y isn’t even my favorite season of the anime—but I love seeing Ash fail. It’s an important lesson for all ages: The ability to bounce back is more valuable than the ability to succeed on your first try!

Or to put in another way: The dice curse is real, but even Wil Wheaton rolled a natural 20 eventually!

Because I feel like wasting my time….

Oh, hi, Looker. No, you're not a waste of time. c:

My reason is procrastinating doing other work. :0

You know, I was just about to grab some more Moomoo Milks when I saw this item. Let's see what it is…

bruh wtf is this other than yet another way to artificially extend the trials and tribulations involved in catching a munchlax

Looker, this is Vox Machina! Danger is our middle name!

I'm sorry Looker ignored you, Dusk Stone. im sorry that i will also be ignoring you once youre in my bag but there are so few pokemon that use you you know???

Ooh, jazzy villain theme! Listen for yourself! I bet this will be a great track in the Sinnoh remakes. c:

Nah, dude, I've got a guidebook. Thanks for your concern, though!

Galactic Grunt:

If understanding warp panels is a prerequisite for getting a Pokemon in Team Galactic, how are there so many members???

Aw man, the jazzy music went away. :c

Heh, TM Snatch in the villain lair.

Aw, don't feel bad, Second Floor Grunt. You're the first trainer in this lair to deal any damage to my team! (Granted, it was because of Sucker Punch, which is a priority move, but.)

Hey, I'm not-

Hey, look, someone who is aware of the plan!

Never miiind.

Porygon Z shenanigans!? :0

Again, I have a map, so I'm fine. Have a nice day! Leon, is that you!?

Sludge Bomb is a good poison move. Too bad poison is a bad offensive type.

Wait, what. Dude, the key you dropped is in the same room as you! What is going on here!?

Honesty is the best policy, my man. 😔

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
First, excellent Wind Waker usage.

Can I just say it has been so nice to watch someone else play this ruleset and sit with popcorn and a smile while they agonize over form changes? Because it is very very nice. I love spreading my pain to others.

Also, Don't feel bad about having a Fly Pokemon; I've done that before too without actually assigning them to a character and going through all that hassle.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
@Spectacles : Wind Waker is the best source of Link meme faces. Fight me. 😤

🍿 Getting into the analysis headspace is both fun to watch and fun to be in (at least for me)!

Oh, I was gonna have a Fly Pokemon with or without my audience giving permission. :V

Me @ Jenga!:

There's really only one thing I can say to this, and I apologize in advance.

o k b o o m e r

*gasp* Et tu, Mud Shot!?

*screams in special interest since age 7*

Is this why people joined!? :0

*looks at what's on the one (1) TV* Oh, hey, are you watching the Mighty Nein? Do you work for CritRoleStats? :0

...Oh, sorry. You know the NSFW tag exists for a reason, right?

Grog's Focus Blast is NOT an OHKO? Shit.

And the scientist used an X Special. y i k e s

Oh. I guess we were speed-tied.

Mini nightmare fuel?

DUMBLEDOOF!?

The training was really uneventful, fam. No, nothing of note happened at-

Truly… We are blessed now.

“Fellow members of Team Galactic! Hear me! My name, as I appear to you today, is Cyrus. This world of ours is a crude one. In a word, it is incomplete. It has been, and always will be, a struggle to survive in this world. We humans and Pokémon are likewise incomplete. Because we are all so lacking, we fight, we maim... It is ugly. I hate the incompleteness. That we are all incomplete, I hate it with my entire body and being. The world should be complete. The world must change.”

There is a bewitching truth behind all kinds of evil, Keyleth thinks. Cyrus and Vox Machina speak from the same experience: This world is crude. No magic, no law, no gods—if “Legendary Pokemon” can be captured by human hands.

Because this Remnant is just that: human.

And, thus, he too is incomplete. He must know that truth, right?

Right. Because he is not stupid, just incomplete.

And his plan will work, if they don’t stop it. But it won’t make the world complete. It will only complete Vecna’s ascension, dooming everyone to eternal incompleteness. Without free will, people cannot fight or maim—ugly things, yes—but they can’t do beautiful things either, like declaring their love, growing a garden, feeding the birds….

Keyleth catches sight of the leash of black feathers around her partner’s neck, and she sniffles.

Some of the beautiful things are ugly too, like her tears.

What is this Remnant missing that compels him to fight for Vecna? The Briarwoods—the bewitching evil that nearly destroyed Percy, that did destroy his family—joined Vecna after he revived Sylas.

What would she do if a power beyond her command told her her loyalty would save Vax? What would she do if a power beyond her command told her that her loyalty would keep Vox Machina with her? As an archdruid, she will outlive them all.

Her immortal life will give her the chance to slot many things into herself, to make her ever less incomplete.

Vecna doesn’t want anyone to have that chance. And neither does Cyrus. His life must end, in order for anyone else’s to have meaning. Keyleth sees the glint of her gleaming red eye in the black screen—Team Galactic has dispersed—and, for the first time, feels at home in the reaper’s skin.

@Specs, here's the line!

Looker be spittin' straight facts. 😤

...Where do I sign up?

haha unless

...Well? Was that Memento worth it, Team Galactic grunt? I'm switching out anyway. ._.

Yo, I didn't realize that the only reason Cyrus fights you in the HQ is that he gets triggered by your emotionality. ._.

“So you heard my speech, I take it?” the Remnant purrs. A gaunt hand moves through hair as blue as a lifeless sea.

“Yeah, we listened to your bullshit,” Scanlan shoots back. Before she can stop herself, Keyleth is staring at her friend, at his error, and, unsurprisingly, so is Vax.

Cyrus chuckles. “Why do I need to make a speech when your friends can just tell you the truth?”

Scanlan looks betrayed, and, for a moment, Keyleth thinks of him, on that bed, demanding that they say his mother’s name-

And then Grog steps forward, asking her name, and he asks Cyrus, Do you know da truth?”

And Cyrus looks at him like he’s a silly goliath oaf, and that is his first mistake. Grog seizes on it. “Do you know who Vecna is? What he does? What he will do? What will be impossible if he rises? Ya said it yerself, didn’t ya? Completeness. He will make everybody empty forever.”

Cyrus’ left eye twitches, and, almost like a body’s reaction to infection, necrotic energy starts to drip out from behind the false eye.

He throws out Pokeballs and can’t face Vox Machina as he starts to cast a teleportation spell.

Turn 1: Grog VS Sneasel
Nasty Plot!
Slash!

Turn 2: Grog VS Sneasel
Thunderbolt KO!

Turn 3: Grog VS Crobat
Supersonic!
Thunderbolt KO!

Ooh, just in time to match the level of Cyrus' ace this battle!

Turn 4: Grog VS Honchkrow
Confusion!
Oh, well-
CRITICAL HIT FAINT ATTACK

Only a crit would have worked… >_>

Rage: Only when Grog is on the team can you use moves with a base power higher than 60.
Oh shit. Oh fuck.

I need to look at what moves I even have.
Valid moves:
  • Rock Smash (NVE)
  • Shadow Punch (NVE)
  • Mud Shot (immune)
  • Faint Attack (NVE)

Turn 5: Vex VS Honchkrow
Drill Peck!
Water Pulse!

I knew Cyrus could be a run-killer, but I always thought it would be… the other Cyrus…

Turn 5: Vax VS Honchkrow
Drill Peck!

Turn 6: Vax VS Honchkrow
Night Shade!
Reflect!

Turn 7: Vax VS Honchkrow
Moomoo Milk!
Night Shade!

Turn 8: Vax VS Honchkrow
Night Shade!
Gyro Ball!

Gyro Ball continues to suck, but this is a pretty safe loop.

Turn 9: Vax VS Honchkrow
Moomoo Milk!
Night Shade!

Turn 10: Vax VS Honchkrow
Night Shade!
Gyro Ball!
FUCK SITRUS BERRY

Turn 11: Vax VS Honchkrow
Moomoo Milk!
Night Shade!

Turn 12: Vax VS Honchkrow
Night Shade!
Gyro Ball!

Turn 13: Vax VS Honchkrow
Moomoo Milk!
Night Shade!
Reflect wears off….

Turn 14: Vax VS Honchkrow
Night Shade!
Gyro Ball!

Turn 15: Vax VS Honchkrow
Moomoo Milk!
F… F… Full Restore…

S C R E A M

Turn 16: Vax VS Honchkrow
Night Shade!
Reflect!

Turn 17: Vax VS Honchkrow
Night Shade!
Gyro Ball!

Turn 18: Vax VS Honchkrow
Moomoo Milk!
Night Shade!

Turn 19: Vax VS Honchkrow
Leppa Berry!
Night Shade!

Turn 20: Vax VS Honchkrow
Moomoo Milk!
Night Shade!

Turn 21: Vax VS Honchkrow
Night Shade!
Gyro Ball!

Turn 22: Vax VS Honchkrow
Moomoo Milk!
Drill Peck!

Turn 23: Vax VS Honchkrow
Faint Attack!
Gyro Ball!

Turn 24: Vax VS Honchkrow
Moomoo Milk!
Drill Peck!

Turn 25: Vax VS Honchkrow
Drill Peck!
Gyro Ball!

Turn 26: Vax VS Honchkrow
Astonish!
Flinch!

Turn 27: Vax VS Honchkrow
Moomoo Milk!
Faint Attack!

Turn 28: Vax VS Honchkrow
Faint Attack!
Gyro Ball!

It's tempting, but I can't, not if I have ANY hope of making it past Cyrus.

Turn 29: Vax VS Honchkrow
Moomoo Milk!
Drill Peck!

Turn 30: Vax VS Honchkrow
Astonish!
Gyro Ball!

Things… Things have just gotten a lot more complicated….

OK, so… It's time for a moveset upgrade? Downgrade? Moveset overhaul!

Good thing Vax survived, or I'd have to fight Toxicroak with most of my moves sealed off. >_>
Pike:
  • Attack Order → Toxic (Huzzah! It's a level-up move!)
  • Cut → Destiny Bond (Hey, this is the most use a VESPIQUEN will probably get in Cyrus)
  • Defog → Gust
Thank GOD I kept Bug Bite or my only STAB would be *shudders* Fury Cutter.

Vax:
  • Extrasensory → Toxic
I was hoping to save this TM for The League, but I need to use it now, if I'm gonna have a chance of REACHING The League in the first place! Besides, I can then re-learn a move to take over Gyro Ball's slot. (Personally, I think Extrasensory or Psychic would work better for The League than Gyro Ball.)

Scanlan:
  • Lava Plume → Ember
  • Flamethrower → Rock Tomb

Vex:
  • Mud Bomb → Rest
I won't need ground moves for Cyrus (Half of his team are flying types!) and I don't trust Magnitude.
  • Amnesia → Snore
So I'm not a sitting duck after I use the Chesto/Lum Berry.

Percy:
  • Earthquake → Icy Wind
For a Gyarados or Honchkrow counter??? I don't know. All of my ability to counter electric types is gone!!! Shock Wave isn't compatible with ANY of my team members!!!
  • Surf → Water Pulse
Water STAB is good!

Keyleth:
  • Thunder Punch → Curse
I hate piling up on kamikaze tactics, but what can I do???

How many Heart Scales do I have..? I should grind some out regardless… >_> But I'll do it AFTER Cyrus. since there's no guarantee that I will defeat him

And some training.

To level 48. Why? Because I REFUSE to lose to SATURN, of all people.

At level 45, Vex does not learn Earthquake.
At level 43, Pike learns Destiny Bond.
At level 48, Percy does not learn Mist and Haze.

And a shitton of shopping:
  • Shitton of Moomoo Milks
  • Shitton of Full Heals
  • Shitton of Hyper Potions
  • Might as well grab some X items
  • A few Escape Ropes
  • Shitton of Max Repels
  • Shitton of Ultra Balls
  • Shitton of Quick Balls
  • Shitton of Timer Balls

I don't want to be shit out of luck if/when Vex dies, OK? If you think I went overboard with the Pokeballs, recall that Legendary Pokemon are actually difficult to catch before generation 6!

Gen 6 Legendaries @ Legendary catch rates.

Holy Sir Grodus music!

Compare the tracks for yourself!

Oh, you don't know the half of it, buddy :P

*looks at Vecna*

Charon is what we in the TTRPG world call a "chaotic dumbass".

“A new world is lame. But ruling the world is interesting!” You know you can rule the old world, right?

saturns in jelly school

Oh, I thought you were referring to his hatred of emotions.

The reason why he lets the player run around—why EVERY Pokemon villain lets the player run around—(I guess sans B2W2 Ghetsis, who tries to kill the protag) is arrogance.

It's not, heh, rocket science.

Saturn 2:
Turn 1: Percy VS Golbat
Because now Percy is my only Pokemon with a super effective move against Golbat.
Air Cutter!
Icy Wind!

That's the damage comparison!?

Turn 2: Percy VS Golbat
Air Cutter!
Icy Wind!

Turn 3: Percy VS Golbat
Icy Wind!
Air Cutter!

Turn 4: Percy VS Golbat
Water Pulse KO!

Holy shit 4HKOs. Against a generic Golbat!

X items may be the only way to stand a chance against Cyrus. ._.

Turn 5: Scanlan VS Bronzor
Ember!
Confuse Ray!

Turn 6: Scanlan VS Bronzor
Ember KO!

Turn 7: Pike VS Toxicroak
Poison Jab!
Gust!

Turn 8: Pike VS Toxicroak
Poison Jab!
Gust!
Sitrus Berry!

Turn 9: Pike VS Toxicroak
Moomoo Milk!
Poison Jab! Poisoned!

Turn 10: Pike VS Toxicroak
Poison Jab!
Gust KO!

I will never take you granted again… movesets. 😔

Well, Charon is still Chaotic, but I rescind the Dumbass comment. He believes that this ship has hit an iceberg.

The Lake Spirits: y e e t

“I did it! I followed the plan!” The boy with the orange scarf bounds towards them. “The Lake Pokemon are released!”

Vax smiles at Barry weakly. “That’s good. I’m proud of you.”

“Yes, darling, that means something went right.”

The boy’s face falls, and they can see the gears turning in his head as he counts. “Where is Scanlan?” he broaches. “Pike? And-?”

“It’s OK, buddy, we’ve cleared out the bad guys.” A scared squeak and then a hiss. “Scanlan, you’re too big. You’re scaring him.”

“You’re not much bet-”
The sound of shuffling prompts both of them to step back, and Barry steps forward, peering under the desk—Cyrus’ desk—that the Pokemon has huddled under.

He shakes out a can of food. Pike looks at him. “I packed this time.”

The Raichu snuffles at it, then scarfs it down. “Hello Raichu,” he says. He does not call it Grog because it is not Grog. No matter how much it looks like Grog as it cheers Barry on as he presents a Pokeball to it.

Rustle, rustle, click!

The boy turns to them. “We go to the mountaintop together,” he orders, and his fist tightens as if he were holding a rock, ready to throw.

Cyrus the Remnant’s words echo in Vox Machina’s ears, words cast like a stone skipping, heedless of who waits on the riverbank….

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Ah man, the jokes at the beginning of this update SLAP. I also feel attacked by that grunt’s comment. Pokemon will forever be important to me!! And thank goodness he said ONLY 27 years old. I’m gonna be 27 in a few days and the thought makes me a tad ill.

WOW. Wowowow. I can’t believe you made it through that fight after Grog got killed. I thought that was going to be the early end for you. Wow, that rule is harsh!

Ooh, thank you for bringing that Grodus comparison to my attention!! I just watched my fiance play that game but I never caught the similarities! Also, that just made me really excited to hear Gen 4 music again...

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
@Spectacles : I think that NPC's dialogue is specifically tailored to draw ire from long-time fans. :) You know, Looker might suck as a detective, but that comment alone redeems him. 😤

Bruh, me too. Why do you think I chose to pull out that question at that moment?

Pokemon's soundtracks have always been stellar, so I can't wait to get blown away by Sinnoh's pianos ✨ in HD ✨ !

Welcome… to Mt. Coronet.

Good luck, folx without a map!

I think my brother navigated Mt. Coronet for me when I was a kid. >_>

And never mind this map. The game bends over backwards to tell where the Galactic HQ is. EVEN THOUGH IT'S A LANDMARK IN A GYM TOWN. But it doesn't tell you what part of Mt. Coronet to enter from.

I mean, adults can assume that Team Galactic did not go through the Eterna → Snowpoint passage. But I'm not sure if kids would. Pick a lane, game!

I have a bad feeling, and I don't want to waste you guys' time, so… Let’s teleport to Spear Pillar.

Readers @ not getting to watch me stumble through Mt. Coronet:

• Mt. Coronet 2F= Bronzong
  • Mt. Coronet 3F= Graveler
  • Mt. Coronet Peak= Snover
  • Mt. Coronet 4F= Bronzong (LEVITATE!)
  • Mt. Coronet 5F= Bronzong
  • Mt. Coronet 6F= Clefairy

Who are they? Next time~

Welcome to Spear Pillar!

Spoiler alert: This is not the epic duel of the episode.

A for honesty. :ohdear:

Dice is as tone-deaf here as the rapping dog in the Titanic animated movie (well, one of them).

Oh no! Hugh Disease!

Dice:

Mars & Jupiter Multi Battle
Turn 1: Scanlan & Munchlax VS Bronzor & Bronzor

Shit, I thought I would be healed. ._.

Moomoo Milk!
Reflect and Confuse Ray (on Munchlax)!
Munchlax is confused!

Turn 2: Scanlan & Munchlax VS Bronzor & Bronzor
Antidote!
Rock Slide and Extrasensory (crit)!

Shit, I need to heal again.

Turn 3: Scanlan & Munchlax VS Bronzor & Bronzor
Moomoo Milk!
Extrasensory and Light Screen!
Screech!

Turn 4: Scanlan & Munchlax VS Bronzor & Bronzor
Ember! Burned!
Extrasensory and Extrasensory! (Both on Munchlax)

Turn 5: Scanlan & Munchlax VS Bronzor & Bronzor
Ember KO!
Extrasensory!

Good night, sweet prince Munchlax… and Reflect.

Ooh, a Rapidash! All hail to our new king. 👑

Turn 6: Scanlan & Rapidash VS Golbat & Bronzor
Rock Tomb!
Fire Blast!
Sludge Bomb!
Confuse Ray!

Huh. Rapidash's Fire Blast against Bronzor is just a 2HKO.
...Rapidash sucks.

COME BACK, MEAT SHIELD SWEET PRINCE MUNCHLAX!

Turn 7: Scanlan & Rapidash VS Golbat & Bronzor
Moomoo Milk (on Keyleth)!
Fire Blast KO!
Sludge Bomb!
Light Screen gone!

Turn 8: Scanlan & Rapidash VS Golbat and Purugly
This is why I healed Keyleth! Switch!
Slash!
Will-O-Wisp! Miss!
Mean Look!

Turn 9: Keyleth & Rapidash VS Golbat & Purugly
Slash! Rapidash KOed!
Air Cutter!
Will-O-Wisp! I hit for you, Rapidash!

Turn 10: Keyleth & Floatzel VS Golbat & Purugly
Shadow Claw!
Brick Break! Sitrus Berry procs!
Sludge Bomb! Crits and poisons!
Rock Smash! Defense drop!

Turn 11: Keyleth & Floatzel VS Golbat & Purugly
Now I know this makes Purugly's Shadow Claw look scary, but it really isn't.
Moomoo Milk!
Aqua Jet! Purugly KOed!
Air Cutter!

Turn 12: Keyleth & Floatzel VS Golbat & Golbat
Now is a great point to pivot into a switch to Percy!
Come on, Icy Wind..!
Iron Tail!
Bite!
Mean Look!

Turn 13: Percy & Floatzel VS Golbat & Golbat
Iron Tail!
Confuse Ray!

Icy Wind! (One) Golbat KO! Damn, Dice is the one putting in the work here. >_>

Turn 14: Percy & Floatzel VS Skuntank & Golbat
Floatzel is confused!
Smokescreen!
Poison Fang! Crit and poison! (On Floatzel.)

Turn 15: Percy & Floatzel VS Skuntank & Golbat
Yikes, Mud Shot is not as strong as I thought it would be. But it's the best thing I've got.
Iron Tail! Golbat KO!
Mud Shot! Sitrus Berry!
Night Slash! Crit! Floatzel is down! (He would have gone down from poison anyway.)

Turn 16: Percy & Staraptor VS Skuntank
Take Down!
Mud Shot! Skuntank KO!

Wait, rewind!

Mars wants to throw down!? 1v1 me outside Denny's.

What? I don't have t-rex arms. I'm Bowser!

*narrator voice* Bowser is an alias for someone who has t-rex arms.

...Can we trade, Dice?

Dice:

...Dice?

YAS HEALS YOU ARE A GOOD CLERIC

wait thats your last spell slot??? s h i t

And then Cyrus got 'Norted.

...Do you not have a Fly Pokemon? *looks at team* What does your Togekiss do, then!?

The necrotic energy bursts from behind Cyrus’ false eye like an arm and reaches towards the top of the world with clawed fingers. Then, it pulls.

Something rips.

No, more than something. The fabric of reality tears, and the summit twists around it. Cyrus falls prone, prostrate for his Undying King. (Something squelches underneath his palms.)

Vex catches the purple-haired woman mouth something to her red-haired companion: “Was that… his eye?”

Oh, darlings, you have no idea.

Her husband taps her, and he points up. Three lights, bright as stars, form a buttressing triangle around the tear, spinning along with it, trying to contain it.

And, then, no one can see the light. A shadow spills out like ink and stares at Cyrus with glowing red eyes.

“Scion of Vecna-” Cyrus deigns to look at it. “Stop the interferererererere...!” Static swallows up his voice, and, as the darkness clears, it is apparent that the rest of him has been swallowed too.

“He is not gone,” Barry whispers, voice quavering, between the threat of the tearing fingers above and the consuming tendrils that burst from below. “He is there.”

Keyleth was wrong. That portal is undeniably divine magic. Apparently, there is no Divine Gate in this dimension. Unless… That is it?

“He’s still maintaining the spell,”
Pike assesses.

“This isn’t over yet,” Vex growls.

As for Percy, Keyleth can’t see his eyes as he walks towards the portal, his glasses blindingly bright. Barry snatches him back. “I will go through.”

Whatever spell the portal cast on Percy is shattered. “Are you insane!?”

“Yes,” the boy answers, with a heart-aching resignation. “No one will care if I…” He cuts himself off, half-remembering the truth. “No one will remember me.”

His Torterra snarls, and the Raichu, coiled around his neck like a second scarf, twines around him like a gyre.

Scanlan says it because Grog can’t. “That’s bullshit.”

“You need to go home,” the boy says, as if that is some exclusive trait.

“And you getting killed by necromantic magic will accomplish that how?” Percy presses.

“You will not get killed.”

“We already don’t get killed!” Pike cries. “Scanlan came back! You saw!”

Barry shakes his head. “Not if he wins.”

“If we don’t win, this debate is irrelevant,” Vax bites out. The Bronzong beckons the rest of Vox Machina to his side. “There’s no point in being a self-sacrificing bastard if the sacrifice gets you nowhere. So don’t be a self-sacrificing bastard. Be a badass.” And he pushes the boy away as the adventuring party falls into the portal.

A world without Pokemon!? *gasp* The horror!

Well, while Mercer navigates the Distortion World, let's talk strategy.

Look how cocky Cyrus looks.

Nah, I’m not worried, nuh uh.

Houndoom is Cyrus’ lead. Houndoom is likely to use Will-O-Wisp first, so using a physical attacker is not recommended.

Vex is just a worse Pokemon than Percy, so I'll open the battle with Vex.
To be fair to Vex, she has more special defense anyway, so she’s a better counter to a special attacker like Houndoom anyway.

Let's do Gyarados next. Using an electric type Pokemon is a bad idea. Why?
That’s why. ._.

But using an electric type move is a good idea.
This is where I would put my electric type move… if I had one!

The only other super effective attacks I have against Gyarados are on Scanlan (Rock Tomb) and Percy (Icy Wind).

I will start by using Reflect and Toxic with Vax, though, before switching to Percy—who is immune to water type moves because of Water Absorb!

Let's look at Weavile next.

I am tempted to try to Bug Bite that Sitrus Berry. Pike does have 124 defense… And it's not like any of my team is going to outspeed a Weavile. >_>
From there, I can switch into Scanlan, if I think Pike is in danger.

Moving on to Crobat, I think this would be a great time to refresh screens with Vax, possibly use Gyro Ball to cheese it. Or Percy or Scanlan.

Honchkrow… my old enemy…
I don't want Vax to be out against Heat Wave. Once again, Percy or Scanlan can work.

Poor Keyleth is sitting without a niche.
As it would turn out, only Duskull has Levitate?

Still, she might be worthwhile against Gyarados.
  • Immune to Giga Impact
  • Will-O-Wisp
Crobat also doesn't have any dark type moves, so Keyleth can be a back-up there.

Welp, let’s look at Vox Machina before this big battle. 😟

Cyrus:

In this strange distortion world, Cyrus is at the peak of his power: Vecna’s magic flowing into him from the tear in the Divine Gate, a squadron of powerful Pokemon, and a sense of where he is. “This is the other half of this dimension!” he tells Vox Machina. “The weaker half, unable to sustain any life but that with which is already undead!” He grins at them. “So… not you.”

Vox Machina brings Cyrus down with them. Unfortunately, Cyrus brings the Distortion World down with him. The last thing they all see is the supposed Scion of Vecna rocketing itself into the tear in the sky, fading into a morning blue.
---
They can’t open their eyes, but they can hear a voice. “The healers tell me you’re alive.”

Tary?

“And I trust the healers! The best money can buy!” A less distinct voice, his husband—No, his husband-to-be? Did the wedding happen yet?—scolding him. “...I sold the portal.”

What!?

“Oh, I misspoke. Sorry, I’m… really nervous? Because the healers tell me that you can hear me which, duh, I’ve been talking to you guys since it happened. I know you like studying things, Scanlan and Percy, but… I can make another one.”

Please don’t.

“I can. But… I won’t. The healers tell me you’re alive, but… You might not be. Might not have been, sorry! You’re going to be alive now! They promise me, and I’ve gotten better at telling lies, Vex! Gah! Telling what lies are!” A question: maybe he should- “I’M NOT LEAVING THEM!” Taryon roars. “I’m not leaving them,” he repeats, more solemnly. “I should have never left them with that portal… I’m a dumbass, aren’t I, Grog? You’re disappointed, aren’t you, Pike? And Vax… He wants to wring my neck in the afterlife.”

They’re not sure who says it first. “No.”

But they all hear the relieved scream at the same time. Sarenrae, Ioun, Pelor, The Raven Queen, take your pick—why are they so exhausted? They can’t remember anything….
---
He is praised.

Barry is not used to praise. For being such a brave young man. For being such a strong trainer. For defeating Team Galactic all alone. It all feels… hollow. Because their debates are irrelevant. They won’t remember this. Some other kid will save the world next month, and they’ll get praise, and then, Barry will just be…

No one. No one important.

At the threshold of Mt. Coronet, the cameras are flashing. The Champion warns him that the paparazzi will be relentless, for a while. Then, things will pass. Barry knows that. What he doesn’t know is…

What to do next.

He hears a voice, sourceless, and he holds his ears, even though, by now, he knows it’s no use. Except the voice doesn’t tell him that he’s a pathetic little boy or that he’s unworthy of being a trainer or that he should have stopped his mother. Instead, it says, “You’s a badass.”

He looks at the Raichu on his shoulder, and he echoes his words, “You’s a badass.”

He reaches into his bag. When Vox Machina went into the portal, they pushed him away. When they entered Mt. Coronet, they thrusted all of their belongings on him. They needed to battle, after all.

He counts the gym badges. Seven. Only one more left until The Pokemon League.

He is a rare opportunity to warn the Champion beforehand. “We will defeat you.”

Cynthia: "gtfo out of world"
Vox Machina:

...Wait, that’s not what happens? Roll the Cyrus clip!

Turn 1: Vex VS Houndoom
Will-O-Wisp! Miss!

Turn 2: Vex VS Houndoom
Dark Pulse!
Water Pulse KO!

Turn 3: Vax VS Gyarados
Waterfall!
Toxic!

Turn 4: Vax VS Gyarados
Waterfall!
Reflect!

Yikes. Don't fuckados with Gyarados.

Turn 5: Vax VS Gyarados
Moomoo Milk!
Waterfall!

Turn 6: Vax VS Gyarados
Switch to Percy!
Waterfall is useless!

Turn 7: Percy VS Gyarados
Earthquake!
Icy Wind!

Excuse I??? You should be dead, sir!!!

Turn 8: Percy VS Gyarados
Full Restore!
fjuck
Water Pulse!

Turn 9: Percy VS Gyarados
Back to Vax!
Ice Fang!

Turn 10: Vax VS Gyarados
Waterfall!
Toxic!

There you go, pleb.

Turn 11: Vax VS Gyarados
Back to Percy!
Thanks for the heals brah

Turn 12: Percy VS Gyarados
Ice Fang!
Icy Wind!

Um… So Icy Wind does nothing!?

Turn 13: Percy VS Gyarados
Water Pulse!
Giga Impact!

And Giga Impact does EVERYTHING. Holy shit!

Luckily, the next turn is a free turn.

Turn 14: Percy VS Gyarados
Icy Wind!
Toxic KOs!

Turn 15: Scanlan VS Honchkrow
Rock Tomb!
Drill Peck!

MAY DAY MAY DAY THAT WAS NOT A CRIT

Turn 16: Pike VS Honchkrow
Drill Peck!

SHIT PIKE ISN'T FASTER WHAT WAS I THINKING I NEEDED A FREE TURN TO DESTINY BOND I SHOULD HAVE DONE PIKE FROM THE START

Turn 17: Vax VS Honchkrow
This… might be doable?

Turn 18: Vax VS Honchkrow
Moomoo Milk!
Heat Wave!

SCREE VAX DOES LIVE A CRIT HEAT WAVE THOUGH

How much PP does Heat Wave have??? 10? Good to know. 🤔

Turn 19: Vax VS Honchkrow
Hyper Potion!
Night Slash!

Turn 20: Vax VS Honchkrow
Heat Wave!
Light Screen!

Turn 21: Vax VS Honchkrow
Hyper Potion!
Drill Peck!

Turn 22: Vax VS Honchkrow
Night Slash!
Toxic!

Turn 23: Vax VS Honchkrow
Moomoo Milk!
Night Slash!

Turn 24: Vax VS Honchrow
Night Slash!
Reflect!

Turn 25: Vax VS Honchkrow
Moomoo Milk!
Heat Wave!

This is your Heat Wave on Light Screen. Any questions?

Turn 26: Vax VS Honchkrow
Heat Wave!
Toxic KO!

Scanlan was so inspired by the performance that he leveled up!

Turn 27: Pike VS Weavile
Hyper Potion!
Ice Punch!

This is your Ice Punch on Yache Berry and Light Screen.

Turn 28: Pike VS Weavile
Ice Punch!
Bug Bite! Crit AND ate Yache Berry!

Better have Burn Heal!

Have some humble pie, Cyrus.

haha geddit cuz their name is humble pie

Turn 29: Keyleth VS Crobat
Confuse Ray!
Will-O-Wisp!

Turn 30: Keyleth VS Crobat
Air Slash!
Flinch!

Turn 31: Keyleth VS Crobat
Air Slash!
Keyleth is confused!

Turn 32: Keyleth VS Crobat
Moomoo Milk!
Air Slash!

Turn 33: Keyleth VS Crobat
Toxic!
Keyleth is confused!

Turn 34: Keyleth VS Crobat
Full Heal!
Air Slash!

Turn 35: Keyleth VS Crobat
Moomoo Milk!
Air Slash!

Turn 36: Keyleth VS Crobat
Full Restore!
Shadow Punch!

Turn 37: Keyleth VS Crobat
Air Slash!
Will-O-Wisp! Miss!

Turn 38: Keyleth VS Crobat
Air Slash!
Will-O-Wisp!

Turn 39: Keyleth VS Crobat
Moomoo Milk!
Air Slash!

Turn 40: Keyleth VS Crobat
Confuse Ray!
Keyleth is confused!

Turn 41: Keyleth VS Crobat
Air Slash!
Flinch!

Turn 42: Keyleth VS Crobat
Moomoo Milk!
Air Slash!

Turn 43: Keyleth VS Crobat
Cross Poison!
Keyleth is confused!

Well, this level up is nice, Keyleth, but I don’t think you actually dealt any direct damage? 🤔

Don't sleep on burn and poison, kids.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Yoooo, you used the OT Rex meme!!! I'm not sure if you knew it or not when you used it, but OT Rex is like the mascot of OT because we're constantly giving people reachers to help them grab things and put their pants on and shit. So if an OT was treating a T-Rex, we would absolutely give that MF bilateral reachers to increase his functional performance!

AHEM, anyway!! Damn you kicked ass in these battles, and without Grog no less. AND while still being damaged from the prior battles! Super impressive, and you're that much closer to the next gym and the return of Grog!

*editing this in because I forgot to show proper appreciation of "never tell me the odds"*

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
@Spectacles : I'll be honest: I had to read the first part of this comment a few times to understand it. XD there's a new type of dinosaur called ot rex??? Honestly, I saw this meme at a Newbury Comics. I had no idea it was so popular in the OT community! :0 I'm glad seeing it here brought you joy. 😄

As I recall, I did Mt. Coronet all in one day. (I didn't want to risk saving in the maze and forgetting where I was.) Needless to say, that day was very stressful. I took a long gameplay break after defeating Cyrus! At the same time, it was a really satisfying bout. But! I watched some Grog highlights because he would have loved to kick some Remnant ass too. 😢

*editing this in because I forgot to show proper appreciation of "never tell me the odds"*

Just wanna say outright: No, this is not an April Fool's joke. I... actually didn't realize "every other Thursday" would land me on this Thursday until, oh, last week? 😅 If you want some April Fool's shenanigans, though, my other run will happily provide! ^^

On the forums, I’ve gotten into posting non-canon, joke updates for my runs, but I hate pranks that occur outside the virtual space. In my experience, people use April Fool’s day as an excuse to be cruel. :c

Exhaustion. Limbs shaking and chests heaving, Vox Machina bunches together as the Remnant recalls his last Pokemon. That’s it. ...Right?

He only has so many spell slots..!

A distorted roar echoes through the churning abyss surrounding them, and the Remnant grins, even as the necrotic magic from his patron has tapered into a trickle far closely resembling the wound that he dealt to himself in order to “earn” that magic.

Vax thinks that magic is still feeding off of that wound.

“This is the other half of this dimension!” Cyrus tells Vox Machina. “The weaker half, unable to sustain any life but that with which is already undead!” He grins at them. “So… not you.”

Inky black shadows peel off of the gyre, coalescing into a centipedal shape, punctuated by golden spikes and crimson streaks. “Scion of Vecna!” the Remnant cries.

Scion? An offshoot? A disciple? The definition comes to him as a whisper in his ear. A Champion.

Vax knows what to do. He joins the arms of his bell form and prays to the Raven Queen: a prayer he made once before. A prayer that was answered once before.

“Take me instead.” ...you raven bitch.

Except… The creature does not look at him with the wickedness of a Remnant—or even the detached curiosity of a god.

Instead, it looks… tired. Yet determined. Vax catches glimpses of faces with the same expression glinting off of the golden spikes. He realizes a beat later that they are the faces of his friends.

Their true faces.

“I need more!” Cyrus bellows, and he blasts the creature with a bolt of undead energy. “Grant me your power!”

The faces fizzle as the creature moans, its skin sinking against its bone.

Vax feels his eyelids move. It’s no longer the creature’s body. It’s his family’s bodies: his sister’s and his brother-in-law’s and the Big Man and Pickle and Scanman’s. Wasting away, tucked gingerly—one of Percy’s favorite words—into beds. He can hear the vague murmurings of some well-meaning cleric, but it is drowned out by the sobs of Tary, and his husband—Did they get married yet?—maintains a silent vigil over them all.

Is it… a prophecy?

No, Fate-Touched. Prophecies reach across time. This is the present, just worlds away.

Vax’ildan Vessar has heard gods before. They are at best distantly sympathetic. They are at worst self-absorbed. This is not a god’s voice.

It does not matter what I am. It matters what I do.

What will you do, then?

I will stop him. But at great cost.

A flash: This churning abyss is not a void at all, but the other half of this dimension. It collapses, destroying Cyrus, but also, slowly destroying the world that he sought to subjugate.

What can I do?

I am not a god. I will die in this effort. But… I can be reborn. Or… some scion of me.

Vax watches the caving in of the distortion world. The creature writhes, and its golden spikes fall into each other and crystallize into an orb.

This is your scion.

Yes. But… I am not a god. I cannot be reborn alone.

The orb warps, growing in strength, as the shine of attacks—of this world’s magic—glints across its surface.

We need to battle?

Normally, the amount of battling it would take would be…
The image of the slowly decaying world creeps back, unbidden. But with your family’s innate magic, we might be able to avoid any harm coming to the Matter World.

We call it the Prime Material Plane where I’m from.

...I will think about that name.

also known as I yeet master ball

Thank goodness Cynthia is right, despite all the evidence to the contrary, right?

The gen 3 Legendary Pokemon destroy the world. ._.

Hey, I've heard that old DreamWorks movie is really good, Cyrus! D:<

The portal collapses behind them in a flash of golden light. Six bodies—a Bronzong, a Quagsire, a Magmortar, a Dusclops, a Whiscash, a Vespiquen—topple on top of each other: a monument to a silent victory.

The silence shatters. “The legends were true! Why were you leading us on, then!?”

Vox Machina looks. Barry is backing away from a quintet, all dressed in lab coats. The first is a young man—no older than 30—with green hair glossed into a spike, perhaps to compensate for his slim, even sickly, build.

The second figure tuts at him. “No need to frighten the child, Aaron. For all he knows, we were part of that awful Galactic group.” She is a small but assertive old woman, who needs only to flick her brown eyes at the young man to cause him to back off.

“Bertha’s got a point,” the third lab-coated person quips, pulling his hands out of his pockets to run his fingers through his red afro. “We certainly look colorful enough for that part.”

Someone in Vox Machina snorts, unbidden. The man flashes a smile at them.

His companion, a purple-haired man with purple-tinted glasses, is not amused. “Flint, is self-deprecation really how we want to introduce ourselves to the legendary heroes from another dimension?”

The final figure, a tall, blonde woman, nips the quibbling that threatens to spill out in the bud. “Lucian, we have not even introduced ourselves to them.” She bows to Vox Machina. “My name is Cynthia, and I am the Champion—the strongest battler—in this area of the world.”

The strongest battler? Vax considers the weight of the golden orb in his hands.

Scanlan murmurs something lovestruck. Pike swats at him irritably, and Scanlan yelps, “Ow!”

Barry gasps and slaps a hand over the Magmortar’s mouth.

“As much as I appreciate the compliment-” Cynthia advises. “You would be wise to listen to your partner.” Pike puts her claws on her hips triumphantly. “I must also be wise. I thank you for saving not only the Sinnoh region, but our whole world. I regret that we were unable to connect sooner, but what matters is that we have now networked. Is there anything me or my Elite Four can do for you?”

As the rest of his family looks between Barry and the decidedly not cruel authorities (as scant as they are) of this world, the Champion of the Raven Queen speaks up. “There is, actually.” His sister starts to hiss at him, demanding answers- “I’m getting to it, Stubby.” He re-directs his attention to the Champion of Sinnoh. “I received a vision. From a centipedal Pokemon. In another dimension.” He suddenly feels foolish. “I must sound ridiculous-”

But Cynthia shakes her head, and Bertha, the old woman, presents a scrawled etching from a cave wall. Vax doesn’t know how they got the black and yellow—and doesn’t want to know how they got the red color—but he would recognize that creature anywhere. “Yes,” he confirms. “That was the Pokemon that spoke to me. What do you know about it?”

“Not much,” Bertha admits. “Except that it is a Legendary Pokemon, and so it is essential to the continued functioning of our world.”

“And!” Aaron exclaims excitedly. “It’s related to the Legendary Pokemon of time and space!”

“What did it say to you?” Cynthia asks.

“Essentially what you said,” the rogue answers. “And… That it needed help.”

“What kind of help?” Flint asks in the I’ll-pretend-I’m-not-worried-but-I-really-am way that Vax knows all too well.

“A kind of help you can provide. It told me that it needed this orb-” He presents the golden orb. “-to be exposed to a lot of battling.”

The five scientists smile. “Well, you’ve asked the right people!” Aaron exclaims. “We’re the best Pokemon Trainers in all of Sinnoh!”

“Welll…” Flint cuts in. “We’re the best of the best… But have you battled the eight regular-best trainers?”

Vox Machina looks at each other in confusion. “The Gym Leaders,” Barry explains. He presents their combined Badge Case. “We have battled seven Gym Leaders.”

“Oh, that’s perfect!” Flint cries.

The other trainers narrow their eyes at him. “Are you really going to ask the legendary heroes to-?”

“It can be either of you!” He nods to Barry at that. “But it’d be great if you could light a fire under my boyfriend. As the final Gym Leader, he feels like he’s just a stepping stone to the Pokemon League? Like he’s an afterthought in challengers’ brains? But he’s not! If you’re looking for a lot of battling, you’ll love battling him! I mean, lots of battles, right? Extras can’t hurt!”

Percy looks at Vax. Can they?”

Vax takes a moment to focus—both on his tether to his matron and on the scion of this world’s guardian. They agree. “They cannot,” he reports.

Gah! Personal space, strangers!

Actually, no, that's mean. I gave you a scene, Professor Rowan. (Key word: a. Meaning one.) Who is your friend, though?

...Is she a doctor friend?

Hey, hey. Remember Mt. Coronet?
Oh, I should have specified. Remember all the encounters from Mt. Coronet?

Mt. Coronet 2F Bronzong is a Keyleth! (Timid)

Mt. Coronet 3F Graveler is a Grog! (Rash)

Mt. Coronet Peak Snover is a Keyleth! (Lonely)

Mt. Coronet 4F Bronzong (LEVITATE!) is a Grog! (Bold)

WHOOPS, LOST THE PICTURE​
Mt. Coronet 5F Bronzong is a Vex! (Calm)

ALSO GONE​
Mt. Coronet 6F= Clefairy is a Vex! (Gentle) Thanks for the Leppa Berry!

And there have been a few, non-Mt. Coronet encounters to report too.

Send-off Spring Graveler is a Grog! (Hardy)

Distortion World Giratina is a Grog! (Hardy)

From the top of the world, we then go down under to grind some Heart Scales.

...Any Aussies on the forums, I apologize.

Lake Acuity Uxie is a Percy (Careful)!

Well, you may not have gotten chosen by Ioun, Percy. But you got picked by this world's bringer of knowledge!

What? I technically never got an encounter there.

Also a free TM Blizzard and Thunder at Lakes Acuity and Valor, respectively!

Speaking of Lake Valor…
I’m avoiding Azelf because it has Nasty Plot. ._.

And Mesprit because it's a wandering Legendary.

Yeah yeah, enjoy your freedom. >_>

TM… Dream Eater?

That's my reward for using Rock Climb, like, 6 times to go around this shrubbery?

To be fair, there’s also this. ._.

Route 222 Electabuzz is a Scanlan (Naughty)!

Just gonna zip past all these trainers because I am very close to the level limit (50). :P

Ooh, a PP Up! ^^

Does this guy think Volkner is going to, like, pick up vandalism as a hobby because he's bored?

Or catch the Gay ™ ?

cuz o o p s

Although how can he be bored with such a poppin' theme song?

Admittedly, I entered Sunyshore at night, and that song sounds tired.

But the daytime theme is so energetic!

Flint:

Dude, I know you're not a generic.

DIY people, do you really DIY when you're bored? 🤔

Here's my take: Bored people watch DIY videos. Driven people actually do DIY. Oh, Flint, we'll help your boyfriend. c:

But… Don't solar panels need sun and feet block out the sun.

Oh, man, this brings back memories...

I spent SO MUCH TIME with Seals as a kid. Although I didn't battle much? Like the dressing up room, I just wanted ~aesthetic~ I think of, after the (social media) of Pokemon Camp. Remember Twitter in the first, like, month of Sword/Shield?

If GameFreak wants to sell the "image" of Pokemon, both contests and seals make a lot of sense. Make a Pokemon Journeys episode that uses both of those to tie it in, and you're golden!

Do I think they will do it, though? No.

Little Timmy can't get exposed to rude messages! See: the strange story of Swapnote.

But it's so easy. Just get rid of the letter Seals!

Should I tell her..?

All of this is to say… I like Sunyshore City. I like that it's the calm before the storm, so to say.

Barry and Vox Machina step out of the elevator. A marine layer blankets the shoreline city with fog. Still, the young man with spiky blonde hair looks through the binoculars.

“You are Volkner,” Barry says.

Volkner turns around. “And you are the heroes from another dimension.” Vox Machina looks uncomfortably to Barry again. They are uncomfortable with how comfortable people are turning out to be.

Volkner follows their gazes. “But who are you?”

Barry forces his shoulders down from uncomfortable bunching up. “Your challenger.”

Stupid fog of war! D:<

Ah! The cameo reminds me that I should grab my Sunyshore City encounter now, so I can actually potentially use it. ._.

Jasmine, that's… not something Olivine City has in common with Sunyshore City? You know most people fight Chuck before you, right?

Sunyshore City is a Vax Remoraid (Impish)!

YIKES SUPER FANG

Oh wait. Maybe all it has to use against a ground type is Super Fang? 🤔 I'm not gonna risk it, though!

Puzzle-wise? I think not. In terms of the battle, I'll get back to you on that. 😉

thats what all the furries say

Stop shitting on DIYers, game! D:< They're far more artistic than I could ever be!

And I shouldn't forget to plan for Volkner either! :0

Jolteon is Volkner's lead. Unfortunately for him, Iron Tail is the best non-electric move it has.

Still, I am worried. >_> The AI doesn't seem to use the same 75% accuracy move as the rest of us, and the defense debuffs could be scary when piled up, so I want Percy's Mud Shot to dispatch Jolteon quickly.

Spoiler alert: Percy will be the main player in this fight.

Next up is Raichu. Bug isn't really scary coverage for my team. But I don’t trust the AI with Focus Blast. Keyleth can be hit by Charge Beam, but she is immune to half of Raichu's moves. :)

Luxray's coverage is scary. Crunch means no Keyleth here! If Percy needs a break, though, Scanlan isn't weak to any of those moves. With a Sitrus Berry for added bulk, I think Scanlan can work! Even Scanlan's Embers hurt!

Last but not least is Electivire. I'll be honest: Giga Impact scares me more than its electric STAB.
So I think Keyleth is a better choice than Percy.

And, like, Luxray, Electivire has fire coverage—anti-Vax measures. So I'll try to put out Reflect on either Jolteon or Raichu.

Turn 1: Percy VS Jolteon
Iron Tail! Miss!
Mud Shot! Speed down!

Not under any delusions that that makes my Quagsire faster than his Jolteon, though.

I wonder if the Choice Specs is what makes it a 2HKO… :0

Turn 2: Percy VS Jolteon
Iron Tail!
Mud Shot KO!

Turn 3: Vax VS Raichu
Focus Blast! Miss!
Toxic! Miss!
h a r d c o r e

Turn 4: Vax VS Raichu
Focus Blast! Crit!
Toxic!

That hurt!

(I miss Grog the Raichu. :c)

Turn 5: Vax VS Raichu
Moomoo Milk!
Focus Blast! Miss!

Turn 6: Vax VS Raichu
Focus Blast! Miss!
Reflect!

Turn 7: Keyleth VS Raichu
Focus Blast! Nope!

Turn 8: Keyleth VS Raichu
Charge Beam!
Shadow Punch! Static!

Turn 9: Percy VS Luxray
Thinking ahead to Electivire, let's prep Keyleth. Paralyz Heal!
Crunch! Defense drop!

Turn 10: Percy VS Luxray
Yikes, that defense drop worries me. Let's see how much my Mud Shot does.
Crunch! Crit!

Never mind. This is… bad.

Let's play superless Volkner?

Turn 11: Scanlan VS Luxray
Ember! Crit!
Thunder Fang! Miss!

Keeping in mind that that is a critical hit, maybe… 3HKO?

Turn 12: Scanlan VS Luxray
Ember! Burn!
Thunder Fang!

Turn 13: Scanlan VS Luxray
Since it looks like the burn is going to KO no matter what… Let's finish prepping Keyleth. Moomoo Milk!
Full Restore!

Welp, I shoulda seen that coming. 🙃

Turn 14: Scanlan VS Luxray
Ember! Burn AGAIN!
Thunder Fang!

Are you sure you're not the one with the Lucky feat, Scanlan? i mean it didnt end up saving vax so...

Turn 15: Scanlan VS Luxray
Moomoo Milk!
Thunder Fang!

Turn 16: Scanlan VS Luxray
Ember!
Thunder Fang! Paralyzed! Sitrus Berry procs!

Turn 17: Scanlan VS Luxray
Thunder Fang!
Ember!

Turn 18: Keyleth VS Electivire
ThunderPunch! Crit!
Will-O-Wisp!

That is a crit but STILL!

Switching to Vax looks too dangerous. Vax actually has less defense than Keyleth. And Electivire has a super effective move against Vax but not against Keyleth.

Turn 19: Keyleth VS Electivire
Moomoo Milk!
Fire Punch! Burn!

Did you, like, read my mind!? Glad I didn't switch. ._.

Turn 20: Keyleth VS Electivire
Full Heal!
ThunderPunch!

Turn 21: Keyleth VS Electivire
ThunderPunch!
Shadow Punch! Sitrus Berry procs!

Turn 22: Keyleth VS Electivire
Moomoo Milk!
ThunderPunch!

Turn 23: Keyleth VS Electivire
ThunderPunch! Paralyzed!
Shadow Punch KO!

...Are you OK, Volkner? I'm not that funny.

this is tho or maybe i just have an inordinate fondness for the shadow the hedgehog soundtrack

Because there was a death between gym 7 and gym 8, I don't need to roll an event!

Grog, your sacrifice was not in vain..!

Oh, and you too, Percy.

Sorry tal giratina has a grog nature

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Ooh, very cool story interpretation of you yeeting the master ball!!! I also loved seals as a child, but quickly stopped using them because of the inconvenience of not being able to box your Pokemon if they had a seal on. Maybe they'll bring that back in the remakes without that hiccup! Damn, who would have thought that a Luxray could take out a ground type. Yeesh. But you pulled through anyway, and now it's on to the league!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)