• The Writer's Locke will be on hiatus from now until August 2nd. Read more about it here. Thanks for sticking by us. Looking forward to seeing you all again when we're back!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Other It Happened in a Tabletop

Thread Description
what do you mean seduction isn't a skill

Nimbostratus

Ambitious But Rubbish
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Flying, Normal
In one campaign I'm in, my character is a druid whose animal companion is a chicken (really a reskinned dromaeosaur, but shhh.) Said chicken has scored the killing blow on a T.rex, a stone golem, and assorted other monsters.

QuietGuardian

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dark, Ground
I've got something pretty good from a D&D (5e) session. The scene is that my party is doing some investigating in the Abyss. I have a one-on-one session with our DM in which my character (human rogue) has an out-of-body experience that allows me to follow the spirit of a drow woman we recently killed. Long story short, I wind up getting discovered and I have to fight two half-human half-spider women. They've got me backed against a wall and can shoot three arrows at a time with their longbows, so I figure I'm dead; I probably can't kill them both on my own, and they can shoot me down if I try to run. I don't know what will happen if I lose all my health—whether I'll return to my body or whether I'll actually die—but I take some hope in the fact that we have a cleric in our party who can bring back the (recently) dead, and I decide to just go all out because I have nothing to lose.

Well, I start by doing a diving attack onto one of the spider women, which results in me landing on her back. She can't reach me, and my Acrobatics modifier is really high, so I manage to avoid being thrown off every turn. Her companion, meanwhile, doesn't have great luck with shooting her arrows, even hitting her once or twice. And because of my position, I get to attack at advantage each turn, which means I get Sneak Attack, 5d6 extra damage added each time. Ultimately, I manage to kill the spider woman I'm on top of. I'm happy with the outcome, but I figure, "okay, now I'm done for, since I took a good amount of damage during all that and the other enemy hasn't been injured at all."

What happens? The other spider woman rolls a natural 1 on one of her attacks and snaps her bowstring. I start retreating, and she can't shoot at me anymore! When I use the Dash action to get further away, she curses me and gives up the chase. I hightail it back to my body, hardly able to believe I made it out of there.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
So here's a line from a DuckTales/Pokemon crossover RP I'm doing with my two best friends over on Reddit. For context, Magica de Spell has just bellowed at Fennel for getting into her dreams without her permission, claiming that even she wouldn't do that. Lena (who I'm playing as) shoots back that Magica did exactly that to her (which she did, in a season two episode titled A Nightmare on Killmotor Hill), to which Magica counters that Lena, as her animate shadow simulacrum 'niece,' is a part of her, so that doesn't count.

Lena's response: "I think we've already established that this particular apple has rolled so far from the tree as to self-identify as an orange."

To which Magica had no response whatsoever.

YunUroko

Beware the Saltmander
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 19, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She
Pokémon Type
Fire, Rock
Pokédex Entry
Saltmander are known for their berserk fighting style. They do well in the heat, and produce huge quantities of salt when bothered by something.
Oh boi, do I have stories to share... I'm currently playing in four campaigns, two of which I'm the GM, and I had two other campaigns before. But just to give you a taste, I'll give a few stories about two of them.

Erasia
The (rough) setting:
it's a Pokémon x ATLA world set in medieval times, where Legendaries are considered Gods, and each country have a special connection with some of them.
The group: Six characters, each coming from different backgrounds and kingdoms, have been summonned by the Queen of Nalcia, the Air country. They are said to have been chosen by the Gods themselves (aka, the Legendaries) and are supposed to keep peace between the nations as well as finding out more about a mysterious phenomenon plaguing the Gods... But after a few missions, we're all wondering if the Gods weren't drunk or something when they chose us.
Have you ever had a group that accepted a quest right away without asking any questions? I did!
A big leader of Mizuhan, the Water country, asked us to investigate something in a slum town, across the country. And... We accepted! Except... That all we knew was where the mission was taking place and that there was an issue. We had no idea what the issue was about, what we were supposed to look for nor what was expected of us (Arrest the culprit? Solve the issue?)

Iirc, we spent a good 4 irl months on this mission, not only because of her lack of questions and understanding, but also due to very poor decision making. However, the most notable events during this quest were:
  • The destruction of a brothel: Because we had decided to split up (yes, I know, very wise decision on our part, again), two members of our group went missing. We managed to track them down the only solid house in the whole town, which seemed to be a brothel. As we were talking among us about how we could get inside and locate our friends, we didn't notice that the Earthbender of our group had walked around the house to observe it. He then made an Intelligence check to see if he could use his bending... Epic Success. He started digging under the house, shaking the foundations and the whole building. By the time we realized something was happening, people were running away from the door, screaming while the walls kept quaking, agin and again. Our Knight rushed inside to locate our friends, leaving me with just another party member. Then, we saw the boss of the brothel trying to flee as well. My character being a Firebender, I tried to propel myself to him, Iron Man style. ... And failed my roll, resulting in me crashing into the nearby wall xD
  • On how to never let spectators influence your decisions: A friend was listening to our campaign. As we were making some progress into the plot (something related to people's sleep and dreams), she jokingly said that it sounded a lot like something Darkrai would do. Did we use our brain for a sec? NOPE! As soon as she said that and even though his main shrine was in a completely different continent (Terros, the Earth country), we were convinced Darkrai was linked to the issue, to our GM's biggest exasperation. So, we headed outside of town, started walking into the snowy woods... And fell asleep. We wanted Darkrai? Welp, there he was, telling us that he was absolutely not guilty of anything, that he was himself investigating because he felt something weird in the Dream realm and that yes, the NPC we had questionned before was indeed the culprit. We then woke up and, because we were asleep in the snow, in snowy woods, in the middle of the night, in winter and in the polar land of Mizuhan, the GM asked for a Vitality check. Which I failed with another member, thus resulting in the both of us having the flu. And this led to the final event...
  • An hospital in fire: Because this town was in shambles, we were staying at the hospital during our mission (which we had already partially broken and repaired the floor due to two of our 'mon fighting inside) When we went back after our little midnight stroll, both my character and the other sick one stayed there to heal, while the rest of the group went to confront the NPC. It was an easy task. All they had to do was saying "Hey, we know what you're doing, we know you're guilty, so we have to arrest you and bring you to Mizuhan's authorities." BUT! Did they do that? OF COURSE NOT! Instead, they started inventing a story on how they found out Darkrai was responsible for all of this, that he had even hypnotized half the town to lead them in the woods, that they needed her help, etc. The more they talked, the more confused the NPC was and the less convinced she became. Our GM was desperate, as they just wouldn't stop talking and making things worse. That's when she had the most brilliant idea.
    You see, I'm known to be very unlucky with my rolls, and ever since I knew my character was sick, I kept saying that everytime she was sneezing, a small flame was escaping her mouth (you know, because she's a Firebender). And she just happened to have a Morelull spawning within the hospital as my encounter for that moment. A Morelull who was spreading its spores everywhere, and especially in my room. So. She asked for a Will check, counting on my legendary bad luck.
    I didn't disappoint. I failed. My character sneezed. And BOOM! The hospital caught fire instantly, allowing a diversion to our group in trouble xD
Same group of zeros, a while later. This time, we went to the Safari Zone to help the Rangers with poachers. We investigated a nearby lake where some 'mon had been reported missing, when they set fire to the nursery during the night. Once everyone was out, we split up again, with the healers staying behind to take care of the newborns and eggs and the rest accompanying the Rangers to chase the poachers.

We managed to catch up as they had stopped in a nearby clearing. We briefly came up with a plan to surround them before attacking them by surprise. But, as our Knight was in the air on his Altaria, we asked our Spirit Master to tell him by telepathy.
Epic Fail on her Intelligence Check.
Oh, she did deliver her message. Except that she not only sent it to the Altaria's mind instead of the Knight's, but it was as if she had screamed directly in its mind. Of course, the Altaria started panicking, moving erratically and testing its rider's skill.
Epic Fail on his Riding Check.
He fell off straight to the ground. In a desperate attempt, our GM tried a Luck check...
Failed Luck Check.
The NPC who was trying to seduce the Knight so far completely ignored him as he crashed down, leaving him at barely 6HP (thanks to a good Vitality check) And of course, with all this noise the poachers noticed us and we ended up being the ones surrounded... xD

Naheulbeuk
The (rough) setting
: You're probably more familiar with the name now that a videogame was released. It's basically a DnD parody, with elves being very naive/stupid, dwarves are greedy af, ...
The group: 80% elvian, with: a Woodland Elf Bourgeois (my character) acting as both a Ranger and a Healer, who certainly dealt more damage to her allies than she healed them of; a High Elf Bard who's seriously considering a new career as a Warrior and who already bought a new pair of hobnail boots to fight with; a Dark Elf Assassin (now one-eyed because of a fight gone wrong) who's the first to say we're not very nice when the Bard and I talk about hitting/robbing/killing people because they totally deserve it and we're done with their shit; a Half-Elf Engineer who knows how to draw plans but can't read; and a Human Priestress of the Goddess of Justice and Merguez, who we kinda look at as a cute but silly pet who desperately tries to convert us to meat.
I also need to tell you that so far, despite all the wolves, trolls and other goblins we've faced, our biggest ennemies are both rats... A wooden planks you walk on to go across a stream or other running water.
A small village we were staying at for a while had an issue with trolls regularly raiding them and the routes. Being mostly Elves, we were convinced that it was a huge misunderstanding, that if we were to talk to the trolls, we'd sort this out without any damage. And, as a token of our good faith to begin the pourparlers, we bought for a big carriage worth of meat at the local butcher to gift the trolls. We also made a quick stop at the herbalist to get a few potions for our Assassin.
Here we go across the road, without any problem (we just met a strange pig monster, but we outrun it) But just as we were nearing the troll camp... A thought crossed our minds. Did the trolls understand our language, or was there any of us who could speak troll? Of course, the answer was a big no, but by the time we realized that the sentinel had already spotted us. As we were running away because it went to get the meat, the Assassin barely had the time to pour a diarrhoea potion on our gift before the troll brought it inside. After a few moments, we then decided to follow as discreetly as possible... The trolls were devouring the meat, but once the stock started to run low, they decided they were still hungry and attacked us.
Except... That the diarrhoea potion worked. Every turn or two, one of them would leave the fight to go to the bathroom, thus making the fight way easier for us xD (okay, our Priestress did almost die, but hey)
This time, we were in a rather big town, a few nights after our Assassin had lost his eye. We had just one goal: earn enough money as we'd cross the country to go to the capital so we could regrow his eye there (it costs a lot) But, as we were leaving town, we kept hearing the villagers ranting about the taxes being too high, how the guards wouldn't let anybody leave or enter the town... "Nope, not our problem, we're done helping those country bumpkins, we have more important stuff to take care of", both the Bard and I said. Until the guards did forbid us to leave. Grinning our teeth, we had no choice but to go back and investigate. It quickly became apparent that something weird was happening at the local castle, but given our success earlier (you know, the lost eye), we thought we should try to ally ourselves with another group. Except, that the only one competent enough looking around... was a dwarvian party. No way us Elves would accept such obnoxious beings as allies, even if temporary! Our Human and the Hal-Elf went to negotiate with them (they even managed to make the Half-Elf eat meat... Urk) and after some talk, they agreed to come with us to "show us how you really fight".
TBH, we were fine with that, since they were Melee oriented and apart from the Priestress and the Assassin we're mostly Range fighters. Off we went to the castle (all the while having to bear with the dwarves' stupid comments, tss), we had a first fight that went rather well. Then we decided to investigate the basement. After treacherous stairs where four of us fell due to a failed Agility check and a slippery step, which made the dwarves laugh way too much, we found a few rooms... And in one of them were two little creatures, one wearing blue, the other red. The dwarves instantly rushed to fight them... But we thought it'd be wiser to explore more. We went upstairs (falling off AGAIN) to look for clues, information, anything... Aaaaand we came across a letter describing the mobs we had just left downstairs, and how they were hypnotizing people so they'd obey them. We rushed back in the basement (this time we thought of covering the slippery step. But only after we fell off again)... Only to find two blue and red puddles on the ground, and the dwarves busy with a big chest. They left with it while we freed the kids of the castle and brought them back to their parents, who had snapped out of the spell. They congratulated us, giving us money and all... When, in reality, we had completely NOPE the boss xD
I have many more stories like that, if you're interested x)

CasualGameFreak

Discord Resident Extraordinaire
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Grass
Pokédex Entry
Despite being a Grass-type, Casual is a flaming lesbian. Fire and Grass don't usually mix, but somehow it works out here.
I've had a PTU game going on recently, featuring most of us (including myself and the GM, @Lefington ) being new to the system at campaign start.

It's taking place in a homebrew region, and the League essentially works as a team challenge, where Trainers make their challenge in teams of six. Each Gym has two leaders, and the teams split up so that three Trainers take on each leader simultaneously (basically, each leader has six mons and sends out three at once, while the Trainers are allowed two mons each and send out one at a time, for a total of 3v3 on each side).

We've had some adventures, Pokemon have been caught, and a Gym badge has been obtained, but a particularly memorable adventure was had in our most recent game -- the encounter with God-King Shuckle.

You see, the evil team had been causing some ruckus in a cave nearby the sea, and we had gone in to resolve the whole deal and fix up some of the collateral damage, thanks to one of us taking the Channeler class and thus being able to talk to Pokemon (it's not technically how it works but we're doing it this way to make it easier). Well, we resolved the situation downstairs and headed back up in order to see what we could find up there.

On our way in, we'd noticed a Shuckle wrapped around a shrine to Diancie and a beat-up Makuhita surrounded by a few rocks nearby. Murtagh (the Channeler in question) decided to channel both of them and see what was going on there. The Shuckle immediately showed that it believed it had divine power, as guardian of the shrine, and summoned some Woobat to show its strength. During the ensuing scuffle, it used Power Trick and absolutely yeeted one of the Woobat with what I believe was Rock Throw. Murtagh got everyone to calm down and even convinced the self-proclaimed God-King Shuckle to loosen up a bit and accept more challengers.

Honestly, the thing that sold it most was Lef's voice for the Shuckle. The whole thing was beautiful, and I spent most of the scene just laughing my ass off.

And the whole time my character was just off doing her own thing, trying and failing to sneak up on a Diglett before finally getting close enough to an Alolan Diglett to snag it with a Great Ball.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
God-King Shuckle
dont fuckle with shuckle

How is PTU as a system for newcomers? I'm thinking about testing the waters by running a one-shot for the group I play with....

CasualGameFreak

Discord Resident Extraordinaire
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Grass
Pokédex Entry
Despite being a Grass-type, Casual is a flaming lesbian. Fire and Grass don't usually mix, but somehow it works out here.
dont fuckle with shuckle

How is PTU as a system for newcomers? I'm thinking about testing the waters by running a one-shot for the group I play with....
It's intimidating at first, but after the first couple sessions it's all fallen into place for us. The core book looks really big but over half of it is just detailing options. We did a Session Zero for character creation and a lot of it was also just going over the process of it and some of the rules of the system. Worst comes to worst, if you forget something, CTRL+F is your best friend.

One thing we've found to be incredibly helpful is this version of the character sheet. The power of Google Sheets makes it far easier to get everything in order and ready to go.

tl;dr It's intimidating but not as bad as it looks. Going over the system (character creation and some rules) during Session Zero is highly recommended if there are players who are new to the system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)