• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Feature team invited you to check out the Hidden Gem Showcase! Give a little love to your favorite runs you think more people should know about!
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

I'm Doing Stuff In Here

Thread Description
This is me privately tracking my runs in a public place

an0nymous

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2021
First Encounter: I have to catch the first encounter in any new area (as designated by Serebii). Dupes can only be skipped if that species earns a ribbon in Emerald.
Shiny Clause: Shiny mons don't have to be released, but if a Shiny mon faints, I have to release one other member from the team.
Same Count: I can only use the same number of mons as my opponent, as established by my lineup order.
Level Caps: No mon can breach a level cap until the milestone is cleared.
One Stop: I can visit every PC and Healing Station once.
Limited Pack: I can't have more than 10x any Item in the pack.
Item Use: I can only use an Item in battle after an opponent does. Held Items and Items outside of battle are okay.
No Running: No running from any wild encounters.
No Going Back: Once I've entered a new area, I can't leave it until I make it to the next area.

Starting with Treecko seems nice but the only grass move I'll get before hitting the Level Cap (15) is Absorb, which is super weak and doesn't really do as much damage as Nosepass' Rock Tomb does to me. Looking at the other early encounters, the only other ones that could be serviceable are Wingull with Water Gun and Shroomish (also with only Absorb). Water Gun is stronger than Absorb but Wingull is also a Flying type, so not sure it can survive Rock Tomb and Rock Throw. Shoomish is interesting but I don't really know what it's movepool is through the level cap. More realistically, I'll be saddled with a bunch of ineffective members like Zigzagoon and Poochyena (no good attacks to put a dent into Roxanne) or Beautifly and Dustox (Bug-types are weak against Rock attacks).

Fast-forwarding through the actual gameplay, this is the team that I ultimately ended up with going into the first gym battle. I was hoping that the second Wurmple was going to turn into a Beautifly for a little more diversity, but two Dustoxes it is.

Entry-1.png

Looking at the final team going into the gym battle, the strategy seems pretty straightforward. Against Roxanne, I'll lead with BRAN 1 and Absorb should be able to take care of Geodude. Then I'll try to Seed and Paralyze Nosepass before switching out to SANDOR 1. I replaced Absorb with Bullet Seed for the potential to get 3+ hits and do more damage. The pre-trainers I should be able to take care of with DAENERYS 1 and DAVOS 1. The last Geodude does have Rock Throw so I might just use BRAN 1 for him also since the Dustoxes are weak to Rock.

Going through the pre-leader trainers, I swept the first guy with DAENERYS 1 but wasn't feeling too confident in her surviving the next guy's Rock Attack. So I bit the bullet and used BRAN 1 for that, not considering the XP gain and how that would impact the Roxanne strategy. If BRAN 1 beats Roxanne's Geodude now, it'll level up to 15 and by rule I won't be able to use either him or SANDOR 1 against Nosepass (rules stipulate battle levels match, which would be one Level 14 mon and one Level 15 mon). I'm 160 XPish away from leveling up, so what I'll do is start with SANDOR 1 on Geodude, switch to BRAN 1 and let him take a hit but Absorb the HP back. And then I'll be back on track with BRAN 1 hitting Stun Spore and Leech Seed on Nosepass and then switching out to SANDOR 1 to finish him off with Bullet Seed.

Entry-2.png

So this almost didn't work . . . I swear Treecko is just not good against Nosepass. Mostly everything went my way in this battle. BRAN 1 switched out into a Defense Curl by Geodude, so free turn. Absorbs were doing just enough to bait both Potions out of Roxanne. When Nosepass came out, I got off both Leech Seed and Stun Spore without misses. Things got messy when I brought SANDOR 1 out though and immediately got critically hit. Bullet Seed wasn't able to OHKO and Nosepass used Rock Throw to get me down to 1 HP. I completely forgot that I could have used Items twice after she used two Potions, but luckily that mistake didn't cost me anything

Last edited:

an0nymous

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2021
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So greedy. Had everything set up nicely with a Level 17 BRAN 1 and Level 18 DAENERYS 1, but then I lost BRAN 1 while trying to catch a Tentacool (poison). This is potentially a big loss. More near-term, now I need to see who my secondary Level 17 fighter will be for Brawly. My only options are EDDARD 1, but he won't survive or be useful in any fight and THEON 1, who would be impossible to train up to Level 17. As a kicker, I need to keep one of them at Level 10 to guarantee a Makuhita catch in Granite Cave. Really debating ditching the "No Going Back" rule so I can train up THEON 1 . . . but I won't. The only thing to train on now is what's available in Dewford, which is just Tentacool and Magikarp. I'm just going to use whatever PP I have left to train EDDARD 1 and then just basically go 1 vs 2 with DAENERYS 1.

Entry-3.png

Forgot to snap an image here, but Brawley was predictably easy with DAENERYS 1 bodying anything that he tried to throw out there. Post Brawley, I used the Repel + Level 10 THEON 1 to get Makuhita and then trained up with whatever PP I had left before making my way over to Slateport. Nothing eventful in Slateport happened in Slateport and so I made my way to Route 110 for the fight with May.

Last edited:

an0nymous

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2021
Okay so this battle with May was a disaster. I went into the 3vs3 using SANDOR 1 (for Wailmer), THEON 1 (for Shroomish and possibly Combusken), and EDDARD 1 (for just general strength). My issue was that Combusken had Peck and dealt massive damage to THEON 1 and my Acid attack was doing nothing (thanks 2 ATK IV). I also didn't want to use HODOR 1 here because I was too afraid of losing him before Wattson. The other unfortunate thing was while I got Supersonic off, Combusken never hit itself and instead kept damaging me with massive blows. Given the lineup I had, not sure what the right play should have been. Maybe using DAVOS 1 to take out Shroomish and then Gust + Moonlight since it seemed like DAVOS 1 was at least surviving Embers (though probably not a critical hit). The other thing I could have done is brought one of the three Magikarp that I have in the box (Petalburg City, Route 109, and Route 106 encounters) but I don't think I had enough PP to train both that thing and HODOR 1 using Exp. Share.

Screenshot-2021-08-30-at-8-43-30-AM.png

Here's the aftermath. Now I'm goin to try to take Wattson out with HODOR 1 (Level 23), LUWIN 1 (Level 22), and DAAENERYS 1 (Level 20). The remaining three spots in my lineup are underleveled MARILLION 1 (Minun, Route 110 encounter), GILLY 1 (Magikarp) and GHITA 1 (Magikarp).

Okay so that wasn't competitive at all. Wattson steamrolled me. I kinda got the sense that was going to happen when i realized HODOR 1 wasn't even going to evolve before hitting the Level 23 cap. Before realizing that, I figured I at least had a chance. So i got wiped and this first run is officially over.

Screenshot-2021-08-30-at-5-25-36-PM.png

So crucial mistakes:
1) I overleveled really early on and lost a couple encounters by killing them. Taillow being the more costly one after seeing how much trouble May's Combusken was on Route 110
2) Losing Shroomish while trying to capture a Tentacool was awful. Leech Seed + Stun Spore could at least make Magneton beatable
3) Dustox is better than I thought and I honestly should have used it earlier in the fight against May

But whatever. moving on to run #2, which i'll do in Sapphire and NOT choose Treecko this time.

Last edited:

an0nymous

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2021
So I'm rotating over to Torchic (BETTY 1) in this run and so far I feel so much better about it than the previous Treecko run. I've got two Zigzagoons (LOKI 1 and LIZ 1), which means two chances at Pickup, and outside of that, I'm feeling food about the diversity i get from Beautifly (BANNER 1) and Taillow (SHURI 1). All that being said, this run might not even get past Roxanne. I'll have to run with BETTY 1 and BANNER 1 I'm pretty sure, but both are weak to Rock attacks. The Zigzagoons just won't do enough damage.

Entry-1.png

Here's the team pre-Route 104 trainers and grind. I'm thinking BETTY 1 at Level 15 and BANNER 1 at Level 14 for Roxanne. I think BANNER 1 can handle all the gym pre-trainers and hopefully BETTY 1 can handle Geodude without taking any damage and then gear up for Nosepass.

Im pivoting away from that initial BETTY 1 and BANNER 1 strategy and I’m coming to terms with the fact that I’m probably going to end up losing one, if not two, Zigzagoons. I’m pretty sure my only shot is firing off as many growls and sand-Attacks as I can on Geodude to give BANNER 1 at least two shots at killing it with Absorb. And then BANNER 1 probably dies to Nosepass, and I rinse and repeat the Sand Attack strategy with the second Zigzagoon and hope BETTY 1 can pick up the pieces from there.

Screenshot-2021-08-31-at-6-22-20-PM.png

Okay so post-battle . . . i mean all things considered, this went better than I thought it would. I was preparing myself to losing three mons, but I came away with LIZ 1 still alive and BETTY 1/SHURI 1 untouched. Most of the battle went as planned. I led with LOKI 1 against Geodude, got off six Growls before bringing in BANNER 1. The first Absorb got it down to very little health, which baited the first Potion and then I finished it off after that. Then came the Nosepass and I had to decide whether to switch back to LOKI 1, which wouldn't have survived a Rock Tomb on the switch. So I opted against that, sacked Beautifly in hope of poisoning Nosepass on my way out, which I didn't. In hindsight, I should have healed LOKI 1 with Potion (usable since she used one on Geodude) and i MAY have come away with both Zigzagoon's alive. That might have been a misplay. Anyways, I got off one Growl with LOKI 1 before he went down. I then brought out LIZ 1, spammed Sand-Attack and got off enough misses to set up Tail Whips, which eventually made Headbutt effective enough to take Nosepass down. [/Spoilers]

Last edited:

an0nymous

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2021
Playing through Route 116 and Rusturf Tunnel, I added SHARON 1 (second Taillow) and EMIL 1 (Whismur) to the team. The Bold nature (+DEF/-ATK) for SHARON 1 isn't ideal, neither is the fact that my team is Fly/Normal attack-dependent. I was really hoping for the 2-for-1 Nincada line, but that didn't work out. Planning for Brawly is also tied with how I can train EMIL 1 and SHARON 1 up to the level cap level. BETTY 1 and SHURI 1 are close to the Level17/18 level caps and they have a lot of PP to spare. I'm thinking I'll EV train EMIL 1 on Poochyenas/Zigzagoons on Route 103 by switching in BETTY 1 and expelling all that PP until I get her to level 18. Then I'll use my Level 17 slot either on SHURI 1 or SHARON 1 depending on if I need to use SHURI's PP to switch-train the lower-level members

Screenshot-2021-09-01-at-5-10-48-PM.png

Training end up going pretty well. I was never at risk of any PP drought thanks to BETTY 1 having 35 Pecks, 30 Ebers, 25 Scratches, and a handful of Double Kicks. I was able to spread the XP around and also train on low level Route 103 pokemon where I could boost the ATK and SPD EVs for the two birds I have on the team. Brawly's gym was a cakewalk. I used SHARON 1 to sweep through the trainers in there, and then SHURI 1 to beat OHKO Brawly's Machop and Makuhita. Before going into the gym, I did take advantage of SHURI 1's Guts ability by getting the Fishing Rod, nabbing my Dewford Town encounter (GROOT 1 the Magikarp) and then fishing around until I could find a Tentacool to poison me. I just wasn't confident enough in SHURI 1 being able to take any kind of hits and so I wanted to make sure I could OHKO my way through the gym.

Screenshot-2021-09-03-at-2-57-29-PM.png

Last edited:

an0nymous

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2021
I forgot to take any screen grabs for this entry, but none of it is really anything that I want to remember. Most of the time was spent grinding up my team here with the plan to take EMIL 1 at Level 22, LIZ 1 at Level 20, and BETTY 1 at Level 23 to take on Wattson's Magnemite/Voltorb/Magneton trio. I felt decently good about this lineup given BETTY 1's super-effective moves and honestly I was thinking I'd sweep the gym entirely. In the process of training and collecting, I added MYSTERIO 1 the Electrike to the lineup, though I didn't spend any real time training him up since I wasn't going to use him for this gym.

And THiS is where things got botched. BETTY 1 wasn't able to OHKO Voltorb, which left me open to a Self-Destruct and ultimately a loss to Magneton. I completely blanked that I was exposed to Self-Destruct and not having a fully healthy or even moderately healthy BETTY 1 basically ended the run. Magneton took out BETTY 1 and was left with about half its health bar. LIZ 1 got off just one Sand-Attack before going down, MYSTERIO 1 got off one Thunder Wave before going down, and then things got a litttle interesting with TONY 1 the Tentacool. I got off a Supersonic and the combo of Confusion, Paralysis, and -1 Accuracy got Magneton into low Yellow health after Wattson milked two Super Potions. That's where the luck ran out because from then on out Magneton got off every Shock Wave, taking out the rest of my party. Looking at the bench, I had a couple more Tentacools and another Taillow so I decided to pull the plug on the run there and start-up a third Gen 3 attempt.

an0nymous

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2021
I'm starting with Mudkip in this run, which I think should be the easiest starter for the early stages of this region, which I clearly am having trouble with. Pre-gym, I think my encounters have been decently good. I was hoping for a Dustox but ended up with a Beautifly instead, but it's overall fine I think. At least for the first two gyms, I shouldn't have any problems. And even for the May Route 110 and Wattson battles, the setup with BANBA 1 vs. Treecko and SANTA 1 vs Wattson should work out well. For Roxanne though, I'm debating which one of BANBA 1 and LETHE 1 I should make my Level 15 mon and the primary battler against Nosepass. During this grinding session, I think I'm leaning LETHE 1 + Bullet Seed as the better option given Lombre should have better stats than Mudkip.

Screenshot-2021-09-12-at-8-36-30-PM.png

So I completely forgot that Emerald has different gym leader levels than Ruby/Sapphire. The level caps in Emerald are 12/12/15 and by the time I realized it, LETHE 1 had already jumped past the Level 12 caps and my only options for the 12/12 slots were BANBA 1, who had x4 weakness to Rock moves, and MINERVA 1, who was one level short of Bite and had nothing capable of doing real damage to Roxanne's team. It wasn't a huge deal because I knew Santa 1 could sweep the two Geodudes and I had enough from on my XP bar to take those two wins and not level up to 16.

Screenshot-2021-09-14-at-3-47-13-PM.png

What was mildly concerning was when the Nosepass did come out, SANTA 1's Water Gun didn't do as much damage as I expected. Luckily, Nosepass used a useless Harden and a useless Block, giving me a couple of extra turns of Water Gun to milk her Berry and Two Potions. By the time Nosepass started attacking, it was only getting off Tackles, which Mudkip was able to body. Never got into any real danger here and this ended up being easier than the Ruby/Sapphire battles IMO.

Last edited:

an0nymous

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2021
Couple of developments here. I caught EPIMETHEUS 1 (Whismur) on Route 116 and then ERC 1 (another Whismur) in Rusturf Tunnel. Whismur encounters on Route 116 is always so disappointing. I also used the Old Rod to capture GAIA 1 in Dewford Town and GANESH 1 in Petalburg City (both Magikarps). I didn't know there was a free heal in Devon Corp, if I did, i would have trained up some more before going in there to more efficiently use my PP. In either case, this is the team going into Brawly though I do have a few Leppa Berries I could use to squeeze out some extra XP for MINERVA 1 to juice up that Level. So far, I've used every berry patch available to use my one harvest each. I think I'll stash EPIMETHEUS for GAIA 1 also before going into the gym, just so I have GAIA 1 for post-gym stuff.

Screenshot-2021-09-16-at-4-18-00-PM.png

This was a relatively easy gym run, though I did run into issues of trying to keep may main three-mon team under the level caps while battling through the pre-trainers. Because MINERVA 1 and LAEG 1 had type weaknesses to fighting moves, I had to tread carefully in case I ran into Machops or Makuhitas. Ultimately, it worked out with LETHE 1 getting just within level cap range before reaching Brawly. The gym leader fight took a while because of Potions, Sitrus Berries, and Bulk Ups, but I wasn't at real risk of losing any members. I got within Critical Hit range a couple of times, but switching out to BANBA 1 in those moments was helpful. SANTA 1 and LETHE 1 took out Brawly's Machop and Meditite, and BANBA 1 ended up taking care of Makuhita

Screenshot-2021-09-17-at-3-29-18-PM.png

Last edited:

an0nymous

Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2021
So I'm in the Wattson planning stages now, where both of my other runs ended. This one should be okay given a couple of things: 1) I have electric-resistant SANTA 1, 2) I know that unevolved LAEG 1 one can learn Mud Sport at Level 21 (under the Level 22 cap), and 3) i have options between catching Geodude/Makuhita/Aron in Granite Cave using the Repel trick. I can train GANESH 1 up to Level 9 and guarantee a Makuhita or Geodude encounter on the first floor. Makuhita is especially helpful because the highest Level cap in Emerald is 24, which means Hariyama. OR I can just use SANTA 1 for Magenton and try to get Geodude to absorb any Self-Destruct opponents. Likewise, I can train GANESH 1 up to Level 11 and guarantee an Aron/Makuhita/Mawile encountre on the second floor. I'm leaning towards getting one of the steel types instead of Geodude so that they can be usable against Grass-types to cover for SANTA 1. It's two extra levels of grinding though. To avoid switch-training and bleeding HP (and potions, and money), I'm going to try to Repel my way to Steven, which unlocks EXP Share from Devon Corp. Then I can just grind away in Whsmur Tunnel.

Screenshot-2021-09-22-at-8-39-37-PM.png

So all of that worked out and I was able to catch ANUBIS 1 the Aron. Trained her up all the way to Level 22, invested a lot of potions and some berry patches in her and I was feeling good about the Wattson battle. But on the road there, one of the pre-Gym trainers came out with Voltorb, and me thinking I was exposed to Self-Destruct, decided to use ANUBIS 1. Shock Wave just took me out. Paralyzed and then a critical hit combined with ANUBIS 1s surprisingly crap durability against Special Attacks led me to lose her before I even got to Wattson.

Losing ANUBIS 1 hurt, but I still had SANTA 1 and that highly valuable Ground typing. Mud Shot was strong enough to take out Voltorb in one hit, which tells me that maybe having Geodude is more valuable than Aron even despite Aron's durability to Self-Destruct. Though if Mud Shot missed, I'm not sure if Voltorb goes directly into Self-Destruct? After Voltorb, the Electrike and Magneton's were easy. So weird saying that Magneton was easy after it wiped the floor with me in Ruby and Sapphire. When Manectric came out, Mud Shot wasn't able to one-hit it and it took a couple to take it out after it used a berry and two potions. The Quick Attack was actually doing decent damage. What might have been a game changer here is Magneton's Supersonic missing before it went down. Confused SANTA 1, decent damage from Quick Attack, and Manectric able to heal at a decent pace could have been bad.

Screenshot-2021-09-22-at-8-48-47-PM.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread