• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
A randomized Gijinka Y storylocke. Chapter 20: They Aren't Completely Wrong

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
“You think cool colors would still work, or am I trapped with warm ones?”
This is an interesting question and I love how this is Fenice's focus lol
“... Take a seat, Freak,” Lysandre gestured to an empty chair. “I have something to ask of you.”
Ooooh shit. I wonder what's gonna happen here!

Edit: apparently I do get to see what happens since I had this tab open since last night and didn't see that you updated!

Or we go to the gym instead! And oooh Azula the Zangoose. That's an interesting development.

sky_

life is a trip alright (picrew by chereverie)
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
They are happy with rest, quiet and cuddles. They may try to be edgy or mysterious, but are often told that they present as the opposite.
Okay this is really intriguing. Clemont proves to be a worthy Gym Leader and all of the Team Flare grunts are disappearing? What? I am very surprised and concerned by all this. It sounds like Wilhelm has a lot to do with this, but the grunts are needed to be swept mockingly aside by at least try to come up with a suitable defence against Freak and guard whatever Team Flare are doing. And Lysandre described Flare as a thorn in his side (to Freak at least, he may have been lying though) but it sounds like he still v much is the leader of Flare according to Azula...I am so intrigued omg

OP
Uberle

Uberle

Legends done, back to writing
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
Stays in the distortion dimension where no one bothers him
First of the month!
Do I have an update done?
Yes!
Is it 4 AM for me right now?
Also yes!
Am I greatly hoping that I don't reread what I've written in the morning and suddenly have regrets?
Absolutely!

But I have a chapter done and that's what's most important

@Trollkitten Excellent question. I'm sure the answer isn't going to be anything horrific.

@Spectacles Since becoming pink and sparkly Fenice has become somewhat more self aware about their appearance
And no need to keep wondering, because this update is the rest of that conversation

@sky_ Ye I was hoping Clemont's fight would prove that he's worthy of the hype
I now partly regret that build up, but I think that it fits as a transition to the gyms actually being a challenge as I hit the point where the randomizer makes all opponent's mons fully evolved
As for why Flare grunts are vanishing. Don't worry about it. What suitable defense, they're grunts to be swept aside right?
Well by now, Wilhelm has already confirmed that he's taking orders from Lysandre, so it's safe to assume that Lysandre probably has to be careful how he words anything involving Flare

“Have a seat, Freak. I have something to ask of you,” Elly heard Lysandre say as she followed Freak into the cafe. The Pyroar’s eyes shifted to look at her. “Actually, hold on for one moment. I would like to ask Elly something first.”
“Fine by me, but it’s a bit rude to keep the audience waiting,” Freak tilted his head towards Fenice who was sitting by themself. “Like the new outfit.”
“Uh, thanks,” Fenice shuffled over so Elly could sit next to them.
“I asked Fenice this, and I would like to know your answer as well,” Lysandre opened once everyone was settled. “With what you know of Freak, do you think that he committed the crimes he’s accused of?”
“I...” Elly looked over at Freak whose eyes shifted over to her. “... In truth, I don’t feel comfortable giving a definite yes or no. I don’t want to assume that I already know the outcome when I know as little as I do about the actual event. But Freak says he is innocent. And I do not believe he lies. So that is my answer.”
“Hm,” Lysandre nodded in acceptance. “Then I will trust your judgment. The first thing I want to address is the possible connection between Ebony and Freak, because there has to be one.”
“Gonna remind you that I forget people who die.”
“What are the details of that kickback, as you put it in that paper of yours?”
“Well it applies to people whose powers I’ve copied, so if I’ve met them.”
“Define ‘met’.”
“As is with a lot of things with me, it’s vague. But in short, it usually requires an interaction of some kind. Just passing someone isn’t enough, but bumping into them would count.”
“And the memories you lose. Are they everything related to the person you copied, or only the direct ones?”
“Everything, even if I didn’t know that it involved that person. For example, if someone wrote me a note and then they died, I would forget that note even if I didn’t know that person wrote it.”
“Would it be reasonable to say that it was by a method similar to this that Ebony first contacted you?”
“Yyyyyes,” Elly had an idea of where Lysandre was heading, and by that tone so did Freak.
“How would she know about you then?”
“Well there’s my League application. I was pretty open about who I was in that, so if she saw it she would know that I am as powerful as I am, and would maybe recruit me to do whatever she was planning. However,” Freak’s mask displayed two ill-fitting puzzle pieces. “She managed to rescue Fenice alone, so that couldn’t have been what she wanted with me. There’s something specific, and something that gained my interest enough to go to the place I was seen and caught on CCTV.”
“So what’s the missing piece here?”
“Can I attempt to construct a timeline?” Elly asked.
“Certainly. I would appreciate another perspective,” Lysandre said and picked up a wood block and whittled it with a claw while listening.
“First thing, Ebony discovers something-”
“Me,” Fenice spoke up. “She found me. Sorry I don’t want to keep that secret.”
“You...” Lysandre didn’t speak for a moment. “... I will wait until Elly is done to ask you more, if that’s alright.”
“yeah.”
“Ebony finds Fenice,” Elly rephrased. “We have no idea how or what she did after that, but somehow she got Fenice out of wherever they had been and kept them in a hidden bunker in Glittering Cave. We first ran into Flare there, a Jumpluff and Rhyperior. We escaped and since then Flare hasn’t really tried anything until the Power Plant.”
“I heard about that,” Lysander placed down the wood block. “Why did you go there in the first place?”
“Oh, because of me,” Freak said. “I became aware of them being there and went over to cease their shenanigans.”
“Hm. That’s accurate?” Lysandre asked. Elly considered that what Freak said was accurate enough, and explaining Chromia and A to anyone else, even Lysandre, wasn’t a good idea.
“Yes,” She answered.
“...” Lysander drummed his fingers on the table. “This is the hypothetical I have arrived at. Ebony rescued Fenice. Then she died. So it would be logical to say that whoever killed her is also looking for Fenice and possibly is using Flare to do so.”
“Yes. Also I would like to avoid repeating, so skip to the end, would you kindly?” Elly heard Fenice make a sound at Freak’s phrasing.
“.... I believe Freak is innocent, and I have a plan of how to root out the one actually responsible.”

“I appreciate that you’re capable of recognizing your errors,” Lysandroth gave him a look that communicated a still present distaste, but that was progress from before. “Please do explain your plan, I will provide commentary.”
“I want you to go out of your way to investigate anything you suspect may be connected to our hunter. As a League competitor it would not be unusual for you to stray and use this as a chance to explore the region. As you do so, I will use my resources to track all of Flare’s known movements and attempt to see if there’s anything that would point us in a certain direction.”
“Ok so. Let me see if I get this right. Your plan to find the guy who framed me involves,” He counted fingers on his mechanical hand. “Me acting as bait. Me doing field work. Me actively doing all the problem solving. And meanwhile you are doing something that you won’t tell me about. So I just need to trust that you are helping me?”
“Correct,” Lysandroth was being honest about the deal and that was more unnerving than him trying to deceive. Though a bit more confirmation was wanted.
“And I am supposed to think you’re sincere about this because….?”
“If you need more convincing, then consider this collateral,” Lysandroth rolled something across the table. A Blastoisite.
“... Very well,” He picked it up and handed it over to Fenice who had not so subtly sat up when the Mega Stone appeared. “Hold onto that for me.”
“Ok.”
“Wait really?” Elly questioned. “You’re actually going to cooperate?”
“I am very easily bribed, Elly.”
“Hm,” Sir Lysandroth raised a curious eyebrow. “So you’ve shifted away from ‘Gabrielle’ have you?”
“You’d be amazed how I act when not regarded with open contempt. Also, follow up, why me specifically?”
“Of your group, one is our hunter’s objective and Elly risking injury would be very messy for everyone involved,” Elly looked like she wanted to object, but her admiration of Lysandroth held her back. “You are the most free to act without suspicion. No one would question your behavior as the one who yelled at a crowd to fight him.”
“...hm,” He had to admit that made sense. But there was still someone whose voice should be heard.

“Fenice thoughts?” Freak asked suddenly. “I may be the focus, but you’re the center here.”
“Oh! Um...” They really needed to work on speaking up on their own. “It’s... It makes sense. I... Well I’d say I don’t want others risking themselves for me, but I think Freak is literally the only one who won’t get hurt. So... I’m on board.”
“Glad to have you in attendance,” Lysandre raised his cup to her and finished his drink. He pocketed the wood block and stood up. “With that, we’ve covered everything I wished to discuss here. Thank you for your time, but unfortunately I am not so free, so I’ll take my leave. Apologies for not asking everything I wanted to know in one sitting, I’ll see if we can meet somewhere again another time. Feel free to help yourselves to anything served here, it’s on me.”
“Most certainly,” Freak said as Lysandre left the cafe. The three sat in silence for a minute, then Fenice spoke.
“Can we get out of here and talk somewhere else?” The staff had vanished earlier, when Freak walked in actually, but they still felt like they were being watched. “I’m not planning on ordering anything and I feel it’d be rude to stay.”
“Sure,” Elly thankfully understood their uneasiness and Freak stood up to leave as well without saying anything else. They walked out of the alleyway Lysandre Cafe was nestled in and Freak looked around before holding out his left hand.
“Room,” An orb appeared in his palm and expanded to encase the three as they walked. Fenice remembered this power, or at least something similar, from a show about pirates.
“Wait, is this the actual thing or...”
“No. I’ve met someone with sound manipulation and I found a way to use it like this.”
“How does this work exactly?” Elly waved her hand through the orb’s surface.
“It’s a sound bubble basically. No one outside can hear, but we also can’t hear what’s going on outside,” Freak took off his left glove, held his hand outside the bubble, and snapped his fingers, but Fenice heard nothing. Freak pulled his hand back in and put the glove back on. “Rather simple and effective, but not something I use that often. The owner of this power is a gentle Being, and it feels wrong to use his power in combat.”
“Is that something you usually consider?”
“Ye. Our powers are as much of us as our very souls, so I tend to keep in mind how the person I’m copying would feel about me using it for violence. Pokemon were naturally inclined to fight each other, so they’re optimal candidates for fights, which is why I tend to stick to them for regular combat.”
“Hold on,” Elly raised her hand. “This just clicked, but why can you still use the power’s of Pokemon, even ones there are no Gijinka for, when all are dead?”
“Well one of my powers involves assimilating anything I’ve eaten. For Beings our power source is more spiritual, but with Pokemon it’s all DNA, so I can just absorb that and shoot Flamethrowers to my heart’s content.”
“I’m sorry can we back up to you eating Pokemon?”
“It doesn’t need to be the whole thing Elly, just a hair. What kind of Being do you think I am?”
“Do you want an honest answer?”
“Perhaps not.”
Ahem,” Fenice got the other two’s attention. “Back to relevant discussion, please. Do we think Lysandre has anything to do with Team Flare?”
“Probably,” Freak said. Elly stopped walking for a second so Fenice only heard the latter half of what she said as she ran back into the bubble.
“-think he’s what?!”
“Let me explain ok?” Elly failed for words for a bit then sighed and motioned for Fenice to carry on. “Lysandre told me his lead scientist designed Freak’s cuffs. Who would that be aside from Wilhelm? Ebony was definitely a member of Flare, she found me and knew where that bunker was. That’s two people employed by Lysandre that we know are Flare people. I don’t think it’s a stretch to say he may be a member too.”
“I was thinking that too, but from a different angle,” Freak said. “Think about it. The most powerful man in the region somehow knows almost nothing about the group with incredibly high-tech sunglasses and has casts specifically meant to restrain Elly’s power glove that controls my cuffs. When talking about Flare he directly avoided commenting anything specific as though he didn’t want to mention something he had no way to know. Enough fits to seriously consider it.”
“I- What-” Elly stomped around and Freak offered her his mask.
“Scream into this,” She took it and put it on her face. She knelt on the ground and a ‘muted’ symbol appeared on the mask’s surface. It was about five seconds before Fenice realized and looked at Freak’s uncovered face.
“The fact that it took you that long to realize kinda proves that me taking the mask off around you two isn’t that monumental,” He said. “Also she really needs a moment to vent.”
“... fwoo,” Elly handed the mask back. “Thanks.”
“Anytime under certain circumstances,” Freak said as he put the mask back on.
“.... So is anyone else secretly evil? Diantha? A gym leader? ... I swear to all that is holy if you say Malva-”
“She was top of my list, actually,” Freak caught Elly’s fist in his hand. “Also I don’t think she’s evil. Nor Lysandroth. Easily fooled by whatever Wilhelm is selling, absolutely. To give A the tiniest amount of credit, even in distress he would have only accepted Wilhelm if he thought he could pull off resurrection without causing problems. They are, at worst, unknowingly helping Wilhelm nuke the planet, and he wouldn’t have gotten this far if he wasn’t good at deception.”
“...” Elly let her hand fall to her side. “So what’re we gonna do next then?”
“What Lysandre suggested,” Fenice stood between the two. “We need to track down Wilhelm, and Lysandre’s plan is the best way to do it. And we are going to do it together, ok?”
“Italics weren’t required,” Freak nodded. “I would’ve been disappointed if you left me all alone to do the adventure.”
“Don’t leave me out either,” Elly jumped in. “You’re both my responsibility until we’re done with this mess.”
“Speaking of which,” Freak said. “Where’s the next gym again?”
“It’s-” Elly froze. “.... dammit it’s Laverre City. The leader is Valarie.”
“What’s so bad about her?”
“.... She’s the gym leader I currently serve as a monitor for, she has not been subtle about wanting me to become a member of her gym so... Look this’ll be rough for me, so try to make it quick.”
“Oh I think I’m gonna relish this,” Freak said with a smile in his voice more wicked than any his mask could’ve displayed.

Data Log

Thanks to some grunts at the cafe I learned that Lysandre has now recruited Freak to trying to track down Ebony’s killer
Freak wouldn’t flat out say that it was me, even if he knew, but that doesn’t mean Lysandre won’t guess
Depending on the information shared he may have begun to suspect me, or maybe I’ve made myself too important to consider immediately.
Either way caution is warranted.
Unfortunately caution may be thrown to the wind soon.
Tomorrow is going to be a very busy day.
And I don’t think I can safely say what the best course of action for anyone would be.

Last edited:

sky_

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
They are happy with rest, quiet and cuddles. They may try to be edgy or mysterious, but are often told that they present as the opposite.
“I appreciate that you’re capable of recognizing your errors,” Lysandroth gave him a look that communicated a still present distaste, but that was progress from before. “Please do explain your plan, I will provide commentary.”
oh my goodness yessss go gettem freak

do it do it do it -
“Me acting as bait. Me doing field work. Me actively doing all the problem solving. And meanwhile you are doing something that you won’t tell me about. So I just need to trust that you are helping me?”
“Correct,” Lysandroth was being honest about the deal and that was more unnerving than him trying to deceive
i was wondering about this! and we can't trust Lysandre at all honestly D:
He picked it up and handed it over to Fenice who had not so subtly sat up when the Mega Stone appeared. “Hold onto that for me.”
“Ok.”
“Wait really?” Elly questioned. “You’re actually going to cooperate?”
“I am very easily bribed, Elly.”
oidhfsdhKHSFJKSFHJKH oh my goodness xD i feel like freak would grab all the cool shiny things in the world and just claim them haha (though that is what the normal X and Y protagonist does with things like Mega Stones)
“Oh! Um...” They really needed to work on speaking up on their own. “It’s... It makes sense. I...
why do i relate to fenice so much ljhgljgGGFDF this totally isn't me projecting on this non-binary character though nope nope definitely not
“Can we get out of here and talk somewhere else?” The staff had vanished earlier, when Freak walked in actually, but they still felt like they were being watched. “I’m not planning on ordering anything and I feel it’d be rude to stay.”
fenice is an observant and cool bean and i care them so much
“Well one of my powers involves assimilating anything I’ve eaten. For Beings our power source is more spiritual, but with Pokemon it’s all DNA, so I can just absorb that and shoot Flamethrowers to my heart’s content.”
“I’m sorry can we back up to you eating Pokemon?”
“It doesn’t need to be the whole thing Elly, just a hair. What kind of Being do you think I am?”
“Do you want an honest answer?”
“Perhaps not.”
oh my goodness ksdfhKSJHASKDHAK i was very worried for a second there
“Scream into this,” She took it and put it on her face. She knelt on the ground and a ‘muted’ symbol appeared on the mask’s surface. It was about five seconds before Fenice realized and looked at Freak’s uncovered face.
“The fact that it took you that long to realize kinda proves that me taking the mask off around you two isn’t that monumental,” He said. “Also she really needs a moment to vent.”
oh my goodness he actually takes his mask off for her! this is character development! this is so cool awwwwww
“.... So is anyone else secretly evil? Diantha? A gym leader? ... I swear to all that is holy if you say Malva-”
“She was top of my list, actually,” Freak caught Elly’s fist in his hand. “
szdfhLHJAgdshag poor elly is having the worst time there, huh
Look this’ll be rough for me, so try to make it quick.”
“Oh I think I’m gonna relish this,” Freak said with a smile in his voice more wicked than any his mask could’ve displayed.
Oh nooooo ;skjdfhdsjd this is going to be interesting, good luck elly!

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
But Freak says he is innocent. And I do not believe he lies. So that is my answer.
Ahh Elly being so kind and reasonable despite all the frustration Freak has put her through!
“Me acting as bait. Me doing field work. Me actively doing all the problem solving. And meanwhile you are doing something that you won’t tell me about. So I just need to trust that you are helping me?”
That sounds exactly like the kind of plan Freak would hate.
For Beings our power source is more spiritual, but with Pokemon it’s all DNA, so I can just absorb that and shoot Flamethrowers to my heart’s content.”
AHHH YIKES
......Oh! That's a pleasant surprise!

QuietGuardian

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ground
I enjoy watching the plot thicken! And I think Freak makes an important distinction between people like Lysandre and Malva being evil and them being taken in by someone evil.

Leon Yorunaki

I'll Spirit Shackle you!
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Ghost
Whoa, there's a lot to unpack here and I'm all out for it. Both from the 18.2 where a Zangoose of all species is on it for going after the truth from a Seviper's death, but all of 19's, including the easiest bribe ever and those theories flying around... truly, the plot thickens!

OP
Uberle

Uberle

Legends done, back to writing
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
Stays in the distortion dimension where no one bothers him
Yeah a bit late
Apologies, I had very little of this chapter done
And then last night I wrote 1.5k words and here we are
Feel 'eh' on it overall being honest but think it works

I am very much looking forward to next month's update
I wrote it months ago, that's how excited I was to get to it
But we have this one first so here we go

@sky_ Freak is like every player, go and obtain all the cool shiny rocks which allow him to access incredible power
I am certain there's no very obvious reason for you relating to Fenice
Don't worry this isn't a zombie run, no full on Pokemon consumption here
Elly isn't having a great week

@Spectacles Elly can both express frustration at Freak for the nonsense he throws at her and also recognize he probably didn't do a murder
Freak very much doesn't like the plan
Also don't worry, Freak isn't committing to the Asclepius diet

@QuietGuardian A very important distinction I find
Just a way to clarify that Wilhelm is the ultimate evil, and also because I like having Lysandre being more than "Hello, I'm not evil"

@Leon Yorunaki Technically the Zangoose/Seviper thing wasn't my idea, as Ebony and Azula are adapted from characters a friend of mine created for an RP that I later took over
Where exactly this will lead... Well Wilhelm is present, so probably nothing good
Freak likes being given gifts, it was an easy sell and also a funny joke I like

“I could go instead if you wanted,” Fenice offered. “If Valarie really bothers you that much-”
“No, I need to go with Freak to the gym, that’s the point of me being an escort,” Elly threw her knife at a target, hitting off center but with a satisfying thunk.
“Do you need non-Freak support?” They asked.
“Yes,” She retrieved her knife and sheathed it.
“... With this amount of contempt does she really want you for you or is it just spite?”
“It’s both by this point. She does legitimately want me but just for my Fairy typing. Which gets even more ridiculous when you remember I don’t know a Fairy move, and the two I can learn I don’t like.”
“Fairy Wind and Dazzling Gleam, right?”
“Yep,” Freak walked into the practice range. “You’d figure at least Moonblast would be on there, but nope. A fine, but underpowered move, and then a move that requires you to wear fewer clothes to actually use.”
“Pardon?” Fenice asked, trying not to laugh.
“Unfortunately, yes,” Elly sighed. “My clothes don’t glow, I do, so I’d need to increase the amount of surface area to properly use it and that’s quite a lack of defense that I’m not a fan of. I could use my wings instead, but that’s also massively counter productive,” Elly spread her wings into a pose that made them look like a moon behind her. “This would let me aim, but it’s also lowering my mobility as I can’t use them to fly like this ”
“Also your hitbox is absurd,” Freak flapped his arms to mimic the amount of space Elly was taking up. “Yeah you’re blinding your opponent, but even a blind attack is gonna hit something.”
“So how does Aura Sphere work then?” Fenice asked.
“That just requires a hand free,” Elly held out a hand and launched an energy orb at a target. “Thought you had an understanding of Special moves.”
“I... I can do the big stuff but that leaves me tired. I don’t know how to moderate. It’s either draining or just... this,” Fenice held up a finger and concentrated until a small flame popped up. To their credit, they maintained it well until they dispelled it.
“... Try your mouth,” Freak suggested. “You can feel the air in your lungs, you can feel the energy flowing in you, try to combine the two.”
“Ok,” Fenice took a few breaths then opened their mouth. Nothing came out. They tried again until... “KE-CHOO!” Fenice sneezed and a burst of fire came out. “AH! Oh that’s- I don’t like that! It’s like water up my nose but worse!”
“Don’t build it up, just let it out,” Fenice nodded at Freak’s advice and started taking breaths again. This time they exhaled and a steady stream of fire trickled out like breath on a cold day.
“... Ok I think I can work from here.”
“Subarashii,” Freak clapped. “Now let’s get me into the gym and Elly can work on your flying again.”
“I am in a skirt.”
“It’s a very nice one, and you should learn to fly in it. I don’t think Flare is going to wait for you to be in pants. Now let’s move.”

“Elly! Have you reconsi-”
“No,” She didn’t want to entertain Valarie any more than she had to. The Audino was dressed in her usual kimono that replicated a Sylveon’s ribbons.
“But you’d fit so well here! I’ve recently had a Mawile join, I feel the two of you would get along splendidly!”
“.... Wait, is this about type specialization?” Freak asked. “Didn’t think that those would still be a thing.”
“Yeah that would... Hm,” Fenice’s tone suggested they realized and decided to not investigate the implications of restricting your pool of applicants to a single type.
“Why Fairy specifically?” Freak meanwhile jumped right on in. “A strong type, granted, but as with all types it has consistent weaknesses that can be exploited.”
“Steel and Poison,” Valarie shifted into lecture mode and Elly had learned the hard way not to interrupt. “A simple ground move would solve that, and beyond that there’s little to fear. You said so yourself, Fairies are powerful, and I would argue possibly the strongest type.”
“Which you aren’t,” Elly countered and noticed Freak and Fenice sharing a look. This bothered Valarie but if that was enough to drive her off Elly wouldn’t still be pointing it out, but maybe enough for Freak to get a foot in which he did.
“I know that a skip dialogue button isn’t really common here, but can we just all agree to use it and not spend the entire day standing outside the gym when there’s so much fun to be had punching inside it?” Elly and Valarie stood in their staring contest a bit longer until the gym leader broke it off.
“I’ll be waiting, do try to be quick about it, and Elly can continue to consider my offer,” Valerie gave a curtsy and went inside her gym. Elly waited a moment then turned to Freak and Fenice.
“Ok, is there something about Audino in the past?”
“Audino could mega evolve and become part Fairy,” Fenice answered.
“Bulk is impressive, but not much beyond that,” Freak continued. “Special Attack becomes usable, and only needs a Ground type in the back to cover its weaknesses.”
“Hm,” That information settled in Elly’s head a bit differently than usual.
“What?” Freak tilted his head in curiosity.
“.... I will forever have this knowledge. And I could use it to drive Valarie insane. But I never can because then I’d have to explain where I got it and I don’t think anyone will buy ‘two people who were alive three thousand years ago told me’.”
“Just tell her anyway and see her get thrown for a loop, I do that all the time,” Freak suggested.
“Doesn’t everyone think you’re crazy?”
“Being fair, Fenice, they aren’t completely wrong.”

“You reach me, I give you the badge, then you leave and get done quicker,” Fairy Wannabe was aggressively cheerful. A manufactured cheerfulness but still as bad for his teeth as any other sweetness.
“I thought gym leaders got picked because of their strength in battle, but so far I’ve only fought two of you, and one was See You Later Girl, and she folded immediately so I don’t really count it. The rest have been proxies and at least Clemont knew that he had to present a challenge for me.”
“Isn’t that what I’m doing?”
“You’re presenting a puzzle that I can still brute force except said force is not punching which makes it uninteresting.”
“I suppose I could put my reserve members in the various rooms if you are so desperate for a brawl.”
“.... Reserve?”
“Well I don’t want to risk you putting the trainers I’ve built a bond with out of commission. They trust me and forcing them to go against you would betray that.”
“So you’re just doing with these guys what the League is doing with Elly?”
“... Ok fine, here are the rules,” He sensed a nerve had been touched as Fairy Wannabe spoke quickly. “Each room you’ll have a trainer to fight. You can fight them or run past, whichever you prefer. Get to me and you get the badge. You start in ten minutes so use that to plan.” And then Fairy Wannabe left.
Quick round up since he has the time.
Chandelure was a safe lead. Chesnaught and Blastoise rounded the classic type trio well and the latter was a mega, all the more fun. Escavalier for Iron Head in case a Fairy did pop in. Aerodactyl because the power of the ancient art was not to be underestimated. And finally Snorlax. Who was just here to tank.
A bell sounded and so the battle began. He considered his options and speed run seemed to be the most interesting. Also the least interactions, he was a fan of banter as any but if he was to truly embody speed then dialogue best be kept to a minimum.
So when he saw the Ursaring he shot a Confuse Ray and kept running to the teleport which worked. The next room had a Seismitoad who already set up the rain, so he quick swapped to Chesnaught and Seed Bombed. He didn’t wait to see if it oneshot, and hopped through the next portal. Number three, a Malamar, was a bit more cautious, and activated a Light Screen. However, he didn’t think an Escavalier’s Twin Needle would care and it certainly didn’t. Three for three, what’s behind door number four?
Shuckle.
“Rather speedy there, aren’t you? Why not slow down and enjoy the struggle?” Shuckle threw a Rock Slide. He didn’t bother responding, he was committed. So committed he brought out the mega stone Lysandroth gave him and felt a cannon grow on his left arm and back. Nothing on the right arm, because it’s already metal, but that’s fine. He bowed, aiming the back cannon, and Mega Launched a Water Pulse.
Next room, Leavanny. He can’t swap without deactivating the Mega, but fortunately there was something that Blastoise had, something he didn’t think he’d use. Protect spawned a shield around him and he just kept going.
Last room, Sableye, who was listening to music, waved him by. They had the look of someone who wasn’t getting paid enough to deal with whatever he was, and he could respect that.
He arrived at the final room. There was only a box with the badge. Not even a note, how rude. Also a teleport which took him back to the entrance. That was rather exciting, all things considered, but still felt a bit lacking, but by now he was used to gym leaders not delivering.
He only had to use four powers, but that still left him with few free spaces, which isn’t a problem by itself, but he didn’t like this feeling of restriction, it’s worse than not having any because at least then he knew where he stood. He’ll ask Elly for a reset once everyone meets back up.
Not like there was anything weird around here-
Wait.
They’re in Laverre.
Shit.
There was precisely one before-times related thing nearby, and if it’s still standing then Fenice absolutely would want to go there.
And given their luck, Flare was waiting.

“Hey, is there anything weird around here? Anything old and supposedly abandoned?” Fenice asked.
“... There’s an old factory nearby. Why? Do you think Wilhelm is using it?” Elly had been spinning her knife around since Valarie left.
“Maybe. If he is, then we find something to tell Lysandre. If not then I get to explore a cool old factory.
“Hm,” They walked up to the gate and tried to open it. “Locked. Think we should walk around the border to find a place to slip in or-”
“Fenice,” Elly spread her wings and flap-jumped over the gate.
“... Ah,” Fenice took a run up and launched themself a lot less gracefully than Elly, but managed to land on their feet. As they approached the factory, Fenice recognized some orb shaped statues along the walkway. “Oh, it’s a Pokeball factory.”
“A what?”
“Pokeballs. We used them to capture Pokemon.”
“.... What,” Elly asked in a disgust that Fenice remembered from the before-times.
“They’re balls you can hold in your hand and catch Pokemon in them.”
“That terrifies me. You just force them into orbs and they obey you from then on?”
“No. Trust me, an ethics professor has broken all this down. They’re about as morally questionable as leashes. Pokemon can convey their want to get out, it’s not a prison.”
“And what exactly did they have to communicate any discomfort?”
“They’re as intelligent as humans, some more so, they’re capable of communicating quite a lot actually. It’s really easy to tell what your Pokemon are thinking if you’re paying attention.”
“Stop talking.”
“Look, Unova already had to deal with an entire organization dedicated to lying about this, it’s not-”
“Shh!” Elly pulled out her knife and slowly turned in a circle. “I heard... Something. Movement.”
“Where?”
“... There,” Elly shot an Aura Sphere at some overgrowth and a black Gijinka with yellow rings shot out; an Umbreon. She was in a Flare red suit and had a briefcase with her.
“Told you that was a lame place to hide,” The Umbreon quipped to someone. Fenice started looking around for any other Flare members. Then they saw their shadow move. They turned to call to Elly for help, but whatever was lurking shot out and covered their mouth.
“Hold still and call off your friend,” The hand withdrew slowly.
“elly,” Fenice’s voice was a whisper as they felt something press up against their neck. Elly turned around and her eyes grew wide. They saw her grip on her knife tighten. Everything stood still until Elly raised her arm.
And threw her knife into the ground.
“Fine,” She held her arms up and the Umbreon opened her briefcase and pulled out a cast which was put over the power glove.
“Move,” The one behind Fenice turned them towards the factory and the Umbreon did the same with Elly.
“What now?” Fenice could barely hear their own voice.
“... Freak,” Elly whispered. “We have Freak.”

Data Log

It is vital to stop Lysandre’s plan against me, so I will attempt to nip this in the bud.
Two of my assistants are on standby and the process is simple.
Lure, capture, and hold until it is safe for retrieval.
Of course simplicity doesn’t equate to lesser difficulty. Rather the opposite as that means it has less to fall back on. But to create a more elaborate plan requires time, and that is ultimately what I do not have.
My overall goal is thankfully solidified enough for failure here to not result in a complete collapse, but I would be forced to shift to less subtle, and more unpleasant, methods.
Some may find said methods to be... gratuitous, but if I had ever cared what anyone else thought about me then I wouldn’t be here.
No one here would.
And soon no one will be.

Speaking of impending disposals, I’ve noticed some odd actions being taken by a certain grunt. She’s been snooping around, trying to figure out where the grunts who failed me went. I checked to see what could’ve spurred her on this mission, and I think it’s because she was stationed next to Ebony.
Her concern is touching, really. I was tempted to let her be, but I accessed her data logs and she’s in far too deep to let things continue.
However the main problem is going to be finding a reasoning to remove her.
No failed mission to fall back on, and if I claim she’s trying to investigate me, she may share what she has found already which is a not insignificant amount.
Surprisingly, even to myself, I feel neither rage nor indignation at having my secrets be found like this.
Instead I have what I will refer to as pride in Azula.
She is ultimately a creation of mine, and to see it advanced so far is gratifying.
Compared to the others of her level who are so dedicated to Lysandre it blinds them to anything not in service to him, she is far more observant.
Perhaps simple disposal is a waste.
Maybe I’ve found a new Patient Zero.

Last edited:

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
“Don’t build it up, just let it out,” Fenice nodded at Freak’s advice and started taking breaths again.
I love Freak giving Fenice battle advice! They really are becoming a good, if not slightly dysfunctional, team!
“Doesn’t everyone think you’re crazy?”
“Being fair, Fenice, they aren’t completely wrong.”
^Great quote.
“Pokeballs. We used them to capture Pokemon.”
“.... What,” Elly asked in a disgust that Fenice remembered from the before-times.
This whole conversation was super interesting. Maybe Elly should talk to team plasma

sky_

Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
“elly,” Fenice’s voice was a whisper as they felt something press up against their neck. Elly turned around and her eyes grew wide. They saw her grip on her knife tighten. Everything stood still until Elly raised her arm.
And threw her knife into the ground.
oh god noooooo sdhfdsjfhds the whispering seals it as especially terrifying now
I am certain there's no very obvious reason for you relating to Fenice
dfjkjshfskdhKJSAHFKJDSHFDSKHFASKJA hush now kjdkhfkjds me? randomly projecting onto a shy non-binary character? never kjsdfhkjsdhfkj
ou said so yourself, Fairies are powerful, and I would argue possibly the strongest type.
Valerie may be a Gym leader by day but she is clearly a Pokémon Youtuber by night. She makes typing tier lists, talks about how broken Zacian is and trashes Ice types for having way too many weaknesses while her Fairy types have like two ;pp

Users who are viewing this thread