• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • Have YOU been itching for a zine? Look no further! Arowana is hosting sign-ups for their Nuzlocke Zine until July 24th... or when slots fill up!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
A randomized Gijinka Y storylocke. Chapter 20: They Aren't Completely Wrong

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Oh man! Super curious to find out all about this 3,000 year stuff!! Aww Fenice is so sweet and pure- too bad they get to be repeatedly traumatized by the insensitive Freak.

OP
Uberle

Uberle

Legends done, back to writing
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
Stays in the distortion dimension where no one bothers him
Ok so before we being, I wish to plug another run I have going on currently

Greens, Eggs, and Ham is a run of Fire Red using a zombie ruleset created by Faleep and you should check out their zombie runs too, they're great

That out of the way, replies then update

@sky_ Not every oneliner will be a hit. Then again, probably best that some not hit.
Elly now has a new sane person with her, but since Fenice understands Freak, she's still suffering alone
It will only ever be referred to as a "big fuck off knife"
I know Pyroar's a special attacker, but it just fits so well
Yeah, Fenice is technically a shiny. tl;dr Original plan for this was a run including Felicia as a protag and at one point she had a Moltres, and that became Fenice.
eyes indeed

@Trollkitten pft. Happy to hear. And while explanation certainly isn't needed, still would be entertaining to hear it.

@Spectacles Freak doesn't exactly do tact. Also this is a possible lead to figuring out who framed him, so he figures that takes higher priority.

It took Elly a moment to remember where she was when she woke up. Then the previous night’s events flashed through her mind and she let out a groan. No more needles in her arm and the brace was off, so those were good signs.
“Oh, um, hey! You slept for... a while,” Fenice was sitting at her bedside again. They were out of the plain clothes they had on before and now had a black shirt and pants with the League logo in red and a sky blue on both for their Fire/Flying typing. The clothes were a bit loose, which was to be expected, they were casual clothes given to League employees that couldn’t afford their own clothes for whatever reason so a sure fit was unlikely. “It’s almost one, are you doing ok?’
“One? PM?”
“Uh, yeah.”
“Arceus damn it,” She sat up and noticed a travel bag on the floor. “Is that yours?”
“Yeah! Since you were asleep I figured I’d go and get some stuff. Extra clothes, food and water, basic stuff. Also got this.” They held up a large notebook. “Freak has three millennium of history in his head and someone’s gotta write it all down, so might as well be me.”
“Fenice... I can’t-”
“You can’t in good conscience let me tag along with a suspected murderer, yes, I know, but I don’t care. Freak may have killed someone, the same person who helped me, but he’s also the only living thing left from my... time…”
“Three thousand years ago,” Elly wasn’t sure just how much she believed that, but like what Fenice had said the night before it was the only offered explanation and they agreed with it. “.... That weight hasn’t fully settled has it?”
“No. No at all and... I don’t think it ever will,” They hugged the notebook tight, “Everything and everyone I knew is gone and the only remnants of them are in my head and Freak’s. So I don’t care if it’s a bad decision. Freak is the only way I’m ever going to learn what happened to me and the world I once knew, so no matter what I am getting everything he can offer.”
“... Ok, fine, you can come with us,” Fenice started to thank her but she held up a hand. “But I do want you to know that I’m only doing so because I have the feeling you would try to follow even if I said no. But remember that Freak is my responsibility so if he does anything to you, I’m not letting you travel with us ok?”
“Again, I don’t think he will, but yes I understand,” Fenice stood up and grabbed their bag. “So can we go get him?”
“I have some prep to do first, but soon, half an hour, you can think about what you want to ask him.”
“Oh... ok… I can do that.” They plopped back down and started to write a bit in the notebook. Elly started to lift the covers off, then noticed the red pants had been removed and not replaced.
“.... Fenice I’m going to ask you to leave so I can get changed first, so just wait outside, ok?”
“Oh! Right, sorry,” They picked their bag up again and hurried out the door. Elly waited a moment then got out of bed. A new change of clothes was sitting on the bed next to hers along with her knife and goggles. Once she had everything equipped she took stock of her pockets and found that something vital was missing. Something she had to correct. Freak could wait, this was far more important.

He had been treated about as well as one would expect. Nothing worth recanting, and the interrogations were getting a bit repetitive. They got guy number three in, and like the other two he wore some full body hazmat suit. Probably treating him like a Ditto so they don’t want to give him anything to copy. However, he was not a Ditto and in fact had busted superpowers, so the hazmat suits didn’t really stop him from knowing he was dealing with a Stoutland. “Good morning Challenger Freak. I know you’ve been asked this a lot but I will need you to tell your story of what happened in Glittering Cave in as much detail as possible.”
“Cave. Suits. Gabrielle got slept. Room. Fenice. Heat Wave. Escape.”
“..... You’re making this incredibly difficult for yourself.”
“I have said the same thing twice, I’m not doing it a third, there is literally no reason for you to do this. Where is Gabrielle anyway, she can back up what I say.”
“Except for the parts when she was unconscious.”
“Ask Fenice about those.”
“Fenice is the... Moltres, correct?”
“Yep.”
“Now here’s the thing, we have no idea what a Moltres even is, and you expect us to believe that you do?”
“Fire/Flying, base stats are 90/100/90/125/85/90.”
“That’s a total of 580, far above many final stage Pokemon, not to mention ones that don’t evolve, it’s on par with some Mega Evolutions.”
“I know.”
“..... You know.”
“Correct.”
“.... Well since you’re clearly going to be uncooperative, we’ll wait for Elly to properly give her account of the incident. In the meantime.... I have some questions for you. Regarding these.... Abilities you claim to have.” Oh fun.
“Ok, but I can’t really give demonstrations given the cuffs.”
“Noted. But from what I understand you claim to have a passive ability, how does that work?”
“Well I know you’re a Stoutland. So it works like that.” The hazmat man sat up straight at the words. “I can’t activate my power, but that doesn’t mean it's completely negated.”
“.... Are you able to tell if anyone is watching us?” Hazmat gestures to a one-way mirror behind him.
“As is, no.”
“What do you mean by ‘as is’?”
“I’m not going to share all my secrets. Need to keep some stuff up my sleeves. What’s left of them anyway.”
“Hm,” Hazmat started to ask something else but then the intercom turned on. “Employee, that'll be all. Monitor Elly has arrived to reclaim custody, so allow Challenger Freak to leave.” A door opened and one of the guards that ushered him ever so kindly the previous night gestured for him to get out.
“Well Mr. Stache, it’s been fun, but I must go,” He waved goodbye as best he could with his arms stuck and walked out of the interrogation room. Guards followed him to the elevator in silence and after a quick ride up and walk to the front lobby he was greeted by Gabrielle and Fenice, now equipped with a bag and notebook. “What took so long? Had to give your story too?”
“Yeah, I didn’t get a chance to last night, so that took a bit.”
“Also shopping,” Fenice added on. “Does she really eat that much?”
“Eat- Wait.... Did the suits take all your snacks?” Gabrielle declined to answer verbally. “That is fucking GLORIOUS!”
“My calorie consumption varies a lot, especially if I’m flying for extended periods of time, so I’ve made it a habit.”
“But you don’t fly with me.”
“Because carrying you would tire me out too much and letting you fly on your own, assuming you even can, is just dumb.”
“Then is it reasonable for me to ask that you share your snacks?”
“You try to take any and you can chew on my knife instead.”
“Interesting offer, but I wouldn’t want to break something you hold dear.”
“*AHEM*,” Oh right, Fenice was part of the group now too. So much for continuing banter. “I’m guessing this back and forth is usual for you, but I have been waiting for a bit and I’m running out of patience, so please, can I get started?” Gabrielle relaxed a bit, and he stepped back a little. Fenice wanted answers, and he had them so might as well.
“Right, sorry Fenice.”
“Could we move outside? I sense hostility here,” He waved around pointing out looks from other challengers who were hanging around the lobby.
“... Fair point. There’s a cafe in town, we can sit there for a bit.”
“What is with this region and cafes? Lumiose had like a dozen just from the parts I got to see.”
“Wait, Lumiose is still around?” Fenice was already scribbling notes down.
“Yes and also no.” Ok he may not have all the answers, but maybe the two will figure something out.

Fenice had a lot of questions planned for Freak obviously. But before they got the story of the world they wanted a better idea of who the narrator of this tale was. Freak wouldn’t lie but he does seem like the kind of person, or rather Being, who would leave out details when it suited him. “So how does your power work exactly?”
“Odd opening,” He tilted his head one way then the other. For someone who hid his face he was still incredibly expressive. “Guessing you want to judge how I explain things first, understandable.” Fenice wrote down A very good guesser. “I’m an Activated. Just Activated, since my power has aspects of both Manual and Automatic.”
“Huh. Those are rare.”
“Wait, that made sense?” Elly was sitting at a different table than Fenice and Freak, but was still turned to face them. “How do you know what he’s talking about?”
“Beings Studies was an elective at Castelia U.”
“...... Where’s that?”
“Castelia City? Largest city in Unova?” Elly’s face remained blank.
“Oh right,” Freak jumped in. “They don’t know about Unova. Or Alola. Or Sinnoh. As far as I know, they’re unpopulated or just really good at staying isolated.”
“Wait how- Never mind,” Fenice quickly wrote down ‘Ask about other regions’. “Back to your power. How does it have both subcategories?”
“It automatically copies people. Once I’ve met them I get a little summary. Name, powers, and species and natures if Pokemon. But the Manual part is that I can turn them on and off like a lightswitch. Actually a circuit breaker is a more apt comparison. If I don’t need a power I can just turn it off, that way I don’t get stuck with any Kickbacks.” Fenice hurried to keep up with his descriptions, and wrote in small phrases.
“Ok, I do want to know what a Kickback is,” Elly requested. “I know it’s self explanatory, but I want more details.”
“Fenice, want to show off what you know?” Freak seemed to be genuinely curious about what they had learned.
“Kickbacks are a restriction for a Being’s power. A limiter to balance things out. Normally it’s something like a limited range or it can only be used under certain conditions. Sometimes it’s a price that’s paid after using the power, like recoil after using a Flare Blitz.”
“Good good, that’s how they normally work, but mine....” Freak leaned in a bit. “Mine is a bit weird, since it operates separately from my power. Similar to how I automatically copy someone when I meet them, when they die I instantly lose all memory of them and the ability to use any of their powers.”
“Does that also apply to those that you kill?” Elly asked. Fenice got a feeling this wasn’t the first time Freak had been asked that question as he stared at Elly without saying anything. After a stretch of silence he looked back to Fenice.
“Ok, enough of that, let’s get into what you really want to know. I’ll answer as best I can, but remember that my memories are lacking due to the whole everyone dying thing.”
“Alright, so.... I guess I want to start with the day the whole thing happened. Where were you and how exactly did you survive the hit?”
“I was in Sinnoh, not sure why, there wasn’t anything that could inform me. I do quite recall the nuke hitting. It was a wave of darkness covering everything, causing any living thing to decay. I managed to tank it with the multiple regeneration powers I’ve copied, but I wasn’t able to save all of me,” He took off his glove to show his metal hand and lifted his mask slightly to show Fenice his teeth. His cracked and broken teeth. “Lost my whole right arm, and bits of my teeth. Also gave me my makeover and new voice.” Fenice worked to write as much as they could down. How powerful was this blast and how powerful was Freak to have survived. “..... Now that you got me talking about it, where were you? Where on this entire planet could you have been that you, a human, survived the blast?”
“I was in Chargestone Cave. Nothing unusual, I was just there to check out the floating rocks,” The electromagnetic fields of the cave were endlessly fascinating, and no one had figured out what caused the cave’s terrain. Fenice had gone there to look around. “Then I felt violently ill, passed out, and then woke up three millenia later.”
“Guessing that’s whatever weird death wave hit Freak?” Elly asked. “Is there really nothing else about that location that stands out?”
“Well unless I can figure out the origin of the death wave, I can’t really say,” Fenice noticed that Freak froze for half a second when they said this. “.... Freak.. Do you-”
“Do I know the origin? Yes, of course I do, I’ve had three thousand years to figure it out. Will I say where it is? No. And before you ask I’m not telling because if you learn you’ll want to go there, which means Elly would go, which means I would go and I’ve put way too much effort into not caring about this to suddenly be dragged to an investigation of the source of it all,” He spewed out not letting Fenice get a response in.
“Ok, why would I want to go?” Elly raised an eyebrow at his prediction. “I’m not going to leave the region, so if Fenice was to look for the death wave’s source they wouldn’t have me in tow.”
“...... It’s in Kalos, isn’t it?” Fenice half hoped Freak would say ‘no’, but they weren’t that lucky. “...... fuck.”
“Wait, wait, no,” Elly slammed her hands on her table as she stood up. “You are telling me that something killed all life on the planet except you two and that thing is sitting somewhere in Kalos?!”
“That’s the jist of it, yes,” Freak’s eyes had shifted into what Fenice guessed was an annoyed look that was a bit undermined by the mask’s cracked grin. “If you want to look for it, fine, but I’m not helping.”
“But- Freak wait!” He started getting up and walking away. “Freak, please, there’s so much that I need to know! Where is it exactly? Could it go off again? Please, I need to know!” He stopped but didn’t turn around as he spoke.
“Fenice, understand that one of the few things I’ve put effort into is not caring about the whole everything dying thing.”
“How can you just not care?!”
“Because I was alone for fucking hundreds of years trying to figure out the answers before I realized it didn’t matter. So what if I find out where it came from and caught the one who fired it? Everyone is still gone from this world and my memory. I have no reason to find that absolute asshat beyond a small feeling of closure,” Something about how Freak said ‘that absolute asshat’ made Fenice feel like he was referring to a specific person, but didn’t point that out. He was provoked enough. “Now if you don’t mind, I’m gonna have a therapy session.”
“Where are you going?” Elly shouted after him.
“Somewhere I can vent my frustrations.”
“That better not be the gym!”
“Where else could I be going? After all, it’s a place where I can get a badge and relieve some stress at the same time,” He tugged his gloves down. “It’s a win-win. You can keep Fenice company while I’m battling.” He continued walking away, but stopped when Elly stuck his arms together.
“You can fight the gym, but I’m making sure you’re actually going to it and not trying something else.” She turned Freak in what Fenice guessed was the direction of the gym. “Let’s go.” Freak remained silent for the rest of the walk, and Fenice felt that any effort to ask questions wasn’t going to be fruitful. They scribbled down a few more carefully worded questions to ask later and quickly followed.
Trying to learn more was going to be quite the minefield.

Data Log

A mix of fortunates and unfortunates today
Unfortunately, my agent wasn’t the first to ask for Freak’s report.
Fortunately, I did gain some knowledge about how his power operates. I can safely hypothesize he needs to be able to see whomever he’s copying directly. Proximity and physical contact may also be factors to be tested later.
Unfortunately, Patient Zero seems to be a companion to Freak and Elly.
Fortunately, this means they are going to be easier to track than if I simply let the League figure things out.
For now observation is enough. Even if together Patient Zero and Freak figure out something about the first use of the Weapon, it’s nothing I can’t plan around.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
Ah it's great to get more information about Freak's backstory and find out more about what happened all those years ago! Somehow I doubt Freak is going to be able to escape trying to look for the source of the blast, even though he wants to avoid it as much as possible. I also love how he's basically like "Okay, peace, going to therapy." Even though that therapy is a gym.

sky_

life is a trip alright (picrew by chereverie)
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
They are happy with rest, quiet and cuddles. They may try to be edgy or mysterious, but are often told that they present as the opposite.
Once she had everything equipped she took stock of her pockets and found that something vital was missing. Something she had to correct. Freak could wait, this was far more important.
and it's noooot the big knife? this is intriguing honestly xD
“Now here’s the thing, we have no idea what a Moltres even is, and you expect us to believe that you do?”
“Fire/Flying, base stats are 90/100/90/125/85/90.”
...is this what i sound like when i help my housemates with the pokemon moves and type advantages? am i this nerdy saldfjkhdsfhsdjk
The hazmat man sat up straight at the words. “I can’t activate my power, but that doesn’t mean it's completely negated.”
“.... Are you able to tell if anyone is watching us?” Hazmat gestures to a one-way mirror behind him.
i would be very surprised if someone was not watching through the one-way mirror honestly sh,fcdsjfd
“Eat- Wait.... Did the suits take all your snacks?” Gabrielle declined to answer verbally. “That is fucking GLORIOUS!”
“My calorie consumption varies a lot, especially if I’m flying for extended periods of time, so I’ve made it a habit.”
“But you don’t fly with me.”
“Because carrying you would tire me out too much and letting you fly on your own, assuming you even can, is just dumb.”
“Then is it reasonable for me to ask that you share your snacks?”
“You try to take any and you can chew on my knife instead.”
“Interesting offer, but I wouldn’t want to break something you hold dear.”
fite fite fite sdfhdsfjdhj go gettem freak, also awww elly we hope u are able to eat snacks in peace
“Beings Studies was an elective at Castelia U.”
“...... Where’s that?”
honestly a good choice by this uni, if there were powerful superpowered beings in the real world a bunch of unis would want to study them too
“Good good, that’s how they normally work, but mine....” Freak leaned in a bit. “Mine is a bit weird, since it operates separately from my power. Similar to how I automatically copy someone when I meet them, when they die I instantly lose all memory of them and the ability to use any of their powers.”
this could honestly be used in a strategic way somehow, i'm sure of it sdidkjdsfhdjk like with whoever framed freak for this murder may have done it so that freak could forget crucial information which is inherently linked to this person who died
I managed to tank it with the multiple regeneration powers I’ve copied, but I wasn’t able to save all of me,”
that must have been very painful, jesus zdkfhsdkj poor freak...
“Wait, wait, no,” Elly slammed her hands on her table as she stood up. “You are telling me that something killed all life on the planet except you two and that thing is sitting somewhere in Kalos?!”
go go elly go destroy it and hopefully not die in the process (elly won't die... right? riiiiiight?)
He was provoked enough. “Now if you don’t mind, I’m gonna have a therapy session.”
go go have an amazing therapy session by punching up gym leaders xD

OP
Uberle

Uberle

Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
Forums died for a bit
But now they're back up in time for me to still get this update out on the 1st
Unfortunately the recent events does mean some features are MIA and we don't have all the fonts we used to
So no Comic Sans for Freak rn
Will edit when that option is back up

@Spectacles Freak is finally being forced to confront what happened to him and he is not ready for that
An opportunity to punch people, however, is absolutely something he's ready for

@sky_ Anyone trying to steal the BFO Knife would soon find it being used on them
I admittedly stole the Being Studies as an elective joke from Infinity War. but it still fits here
Yeah Freak's memory loss is a bit of a downside and indeed can lead to interesting revelations. In time
> Elly won't die right?
What? Me? Do something horrific to a character? Really?

“May I have six powers, would you kindly?” Freak asked.
“Why six?” Elly asked as she turned the power dial to what he wanted. “Don’t you have more than six powers at this point?”
“Yes, but six is the team limit. Gotta stay fair.” Elly guessed by team limit he meant how gym leaders and Elite Four members were allowed to have up to five others battle on their side.
“Oh so that got carried over?” Fenice wrote down something and looked up at Freak. “So do those cuffs act like Choice items, or can you only use six powers at a time?”
“Choice items, once I pick a power I’m stuck with it until Gabrielle resets.”
“So are you just going to use the same six or....”
“I’m doing a challenge run, so if I reach 0 HP with any power I’m scrapping it.”
“How do you keep track of that? Wait, do you also factor in EXP and stuff like that?”
“Ye. I’m trying to keep it as similar to the old ways as possible.”
“But that-” Fenice wrote so furiously Elly thought their pen would snap. “The number of variables you need to keep track of, your own HP and EXP, EVs, as well as each stat to calculate damage taken and high and low rolls. That’s an absurd amount of math.”
“I required a hobby.”
“For this to work you’d need to memorize the base stats, evolution conditions, movesets, and EXP curves of every single Pokemon.”
“I tend to hyperfixate.”
“Ok stop,” Both turned to Elly. “I am not going to listen to more of this right now. I’m still not done processing the three thousand years thing much less the death weapon sitting somewhere in the region that I live. You,” She pointed at Freak. “Will fight the gym leader, and you,” Turning to Fenice. “Are going to stay outside with me, ok?” Neither responded so she took that as a yes and started ushering the group to the gym. Once Freak was inside, Elly let out a sigh and pulled out her phone to contact Malva. She wanted to know if any progress had been made on finding the suits. She paused when she saw Fenice standing awkwardly, not sure what to do. “Are you still committed to learning from him? Even after him walking out earlier?”
“Wha- Oh, uh... Yes, yes I am. Not that I have much choice, he’s the only source I’ve got. I at least need to figure out the location of the death wave’s origin. Kalos narrows it down but that’s an entire region to search!” They put their notebook into their bag and pull out a map. “Maybe I can guess, but that’s not going to be very efficient.”
“Well if there’s anything you want to ask me I can give an answer. I can’t promise I’ll be able to offer that much useful info though.”
“Well...”
“What?”
“Can I- I mean can you.... um....” Fenice took a bit, but managed to get their answer out. “Can you teach me how to fly?” They spread their flame colored wings and gave them an incredibly stiff flap. It occurred to Elly that, should Fenice’s story be true, they’ve only had their wings for a short amount of time, most of which was spent in a small room hidden in a cave. “You do know how to fly and could show me, right? I mean I haven’t seen you fly, but then again you are with Freak and I guess you aren’t going to try and fly with him in tow.”
“I can show you," She spread her own wings and flapped a few times to get off the ground and landed back down. "I will warn you my teaching skills are not great, but flying is mostly instinct anyway.”
“I don’t think I have those instincts.... But I suppose I didn’t have the ability to shoot fire, so what do I know?”
“Alright then, we can get started. Give me your hands,” Elly held hers out for Fenice to grab.
“Um... Oh, I get it,” Fenice took hold and took a couple steps back so they were standing at a slant.
“Yeah, that’s it. For now we’ll be trying to get you to maintain a sort of hover, just try to keep yourself off the ground as best you can,” Elly instructed. Fenice nodded and slowly spread their wings out. “Now your first flap will need to be a bit strong to get off the ground, but not too-”
FLAP
WOOSH
THUD

Fenice had flapped too hard and ended up sending themself up over Elly’s head and pulling them both to the ground. “oops.”
“... Let’s try that again,” Elly helped Fenice to their feet and took their hands again. “Now this time start with weaker flaps until you get to the strength you need.” They nodded and spread their wings again. ‘This is going to take a while,’ Elly thought to herself.

He walked in the door and was greeted with an empty lobby. He had time to kill, so time to organize his team. Quick tally; Drapion, Snorlax, Quilladin, Blastoise, Chandelure, and Gurdurr. Still uncertain if impossible evos are enabled, but he should know by about level 35 if he remembered correctly. Probably wasn’t but oh well. He waited a few more minutes and decided to poke his head into the actual fighting ring. It was not a ring, but rather a massive rock wall about sixty feet up and at the top stood a cosmic brownie. At least that’s what it looked like until the person’s hair turned red with flame and the gym leader shouted down. “HEY, YOU’RE THAT FREAKY CHALLENGER RIGHT?!”
“..... I AM FREAK, YES!”
“ALRIGHT, I’M THE GYM LEADER, GRANT! HERE ARE THE RULES: GET TO THE TOP AND KNOCK ME OFF! OTHER TRAINERS WILL TRY TO MAKE YOU FALL AS YOU CLIMB! DON’T! NOW GO!” The figure stepped back and a bell sounded. Guess this is what he was going to be doing now. It was no bouncy spider-web fun, but it’ll do. He circled the tower to see if there were any tricks he could exploit. There were paths carved along the side, but there were definitely Gijinka waiting to ambush him. He could maybe climb, but there weren’t that many footholds on the outside surface, so perilous path it is. He walked to one path’s entrance and saw it was just a rockwall. He found a good starting point and climbed up the first wall, stopping before getting to the top. “.... Is there someone waiting up there?” Pause. “You have to tell me if you are there.”
“Says who- dammit,” A moment later a Heracross peared over the ledge and raised a foot to stomp him down. Instead the Heracross was met with a Flame Burst and fell back, swiping away at the fire. Not waiting for his opponent to recover, he vaulted up and ran to the next rock wall. Once again, on the left it led to a new platform he couldn’t see the top of, and probably held a new opponent. Now he could jump up and try to ambush the person. Ooooooor.
He turned to look at the right wall, took off his right hand glove, pulled back his metal hand, flattened it, and stabbed the rock wall. His metal fingers went right into the stone and created a small foothold in it. He repeated the motion again and started to create his own path to the gym leader’s platform. Mostly. Along the way up, it seemed the gym leader noticed and shouted at someone also up top and down rocks fell to interrupt the ascent. It made the climb more entertaining, but didn’t stop it. Soon the top was reached and the gym leader, a Rapidash with gemstones weaved through his dark hair, looked a rather amused.
“I don’t think anyone has tried making their own route.”
“I call it a creative use of game mechanics.”
“Not sure what that means, but heck yeah! Now get up and I’ll tell you the rules,” The gym leader left him to climb up onto the platform and let him take a look around.
“..... I am guessing by the lack of railings this is gonna be a ring out match or there are very lax workplace safety rules, and given what your employers have put me through, I don’t think it’s the second one.”
“Correct!” Grant spun around to point at the platform’s edge behind his challenger. “We try to shove each other off of the stage and whoever falls off first loses!”
“And what should one do while falling?”
“I like to think that’s part of the challenge.”
“Neat. Still feel like there would be some OSHA violations.”
“Don’t know what OSHA is, but this is my gym, I do what I want.”
“Subarashii, now when do we-”
“NOW!” And Grant took off, running in a circle trailing flames behind him. So he was gonna try to force an out of bounds by a giant ring of fire.
“I fell into a burning ring of fire,” A flick of the eyes turned the mask’s volume off so the singing could continue uninterrupted. “The flame rose up, up, up, so I went higher,” Slight edit, but it fit as he equipped Gurdurr and used the raw strength to jump up into the air. He oriented into a nosedive, holding out his metal fist as he flew down. “And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire,” The impact cracked the platform, making Grant trip over the sudden unevenness of the floor. “The ring of fire,” He switched to Blastoise and sent a burst of water at the gym leader, pushing him off the platform. “...... that was anticlimactic.”
“Wow!” Grant was almost unbearably cheerful as he pulled himself back up. “I gotta say, that was a record, easy. I’d put you at Clemont level. Maybe Valerie, but I haven’t met her yet.”
“Who’s-” Wait mask was on mute. “Viola mentioned Clemont too. I am assuming those two are gym leaders. What placement are they?”
“You challenged the gyms without knowing the leaders?”
“I like being unaware.”
“Ha! Yeah I get that. Clemont is the fifth and Valerie is the sixth. Your guide, Gabrielle, is a monitor for those two, so if you want tips ask her. Now then,” Grant clapped and a second later a box was thrown up onto the platform and he held it up. “I now grant you the Second Badge,” The Second Badge was pretty simple. A gold ring around a 2 with the outside of the two’s arch sporting a mane of fire.
“Neat,” He took the badge and slotted it into his arm. “So to get down do I just jump?”
“I like to think that if you can get up, getting down isn’t much of a problem.”
“Cool,” He ignored the shout as he simply walked off the platform and slid down. One quarter way done.

“What shenanigans have I missed here?” Freak walked out to Fenice still holding Elly’s hands while trying to find the right flapping speed.
“I’m teaching Fenice how to fly, as I am the one with wings,” Elly let go as Fenice stood back up.
“How did the gym go?” They asked, not really wanting to dwell on the less than successful attempts.
“Pretty good, didn’t lose anyone. By the way, Gabrielle, I’ve got something to ask you-”
“That reminds me,” Elly ignored Freak and asked Fenice. “He mentioned a challenge run, and kind of explained it, but you know how he is with details. So what exactly is a challenge run?”
“Oh so um…” Fenice looked to Freak. “Are they still called Pokemon?”
“Gijinka.” He said it so matter-of-factly it took a moment for them to respond.
“........ Are you serious?”
“When am I ever not?”
“He’s right actually,” Elly stretched out a wing to block Freak from Fenice’s view. “That’s what we’re called. No idea what a Pokemon is, but I’m guessing they’re those weird creatures that pop up on his mask?”
“Uh, yeah. They used to be around with humans but, it seems that both have been combined into... You guys.... Ok, sorry, it’s just that Gijinka is a word from my time, and it’s incredibly distracting that it’s the name of your species.”
“Wait, it is? What did it mean?”
“You know anthropomorphizing?” Elly’s face was blank, so Fenice tried to give a description. “Giving non-humanoid, erm, non-Gijinka-oid objects and then giving them a form like yours?”
“You mean like in Kanto where they have little mascots for each city, like Lavender’s being a little ghost thing?”
“Yeah, that. Gijinka is just the word for ‘anthropomorphizing’ in a different language, but it ended up being what humanoid forms of Pokemon were…” Fenice tried not to cringe remembering certain takes of this. “Which is what you are.”
“.... Why do you look like you’re remembering something unpleasant?”
“Oh right,” Freak clapped to get attention. “Fenice they don’t have the internet as we remember it, it’s just digital data banks like Bulbapedia. Gabrielle hasn’t been exposed to anything resembling what you’re thinking of.”
“You know, I think that’s a net positive,” Fenice said as they wrote down ‘check Bulbapedia’ in their notebook.
“Should I be disturbed right now?” Elly looked at the two with confusion again. “Because that phrasing makes it sound like I should be disturbed.”
“Gabrielle, the horror of the internet is nothing compared to anything you will ever think of.”
“.... Is that why you’re like this?” Elly vaguely gestured at Freak.
“Yes, also no.”
“Actually yeah, that checks out,” Fenice wrote as they spoke. “Freak forgets people who die, but the memes and quotes he uses, those aren’t people, those are characters and images. So all he remembers from the old world are jokes and obscure references without their proper context.”
“So he’s…” Elly just waves her hand in Freak’s direction. “What word would you use for this?”
“Man of culture.”
“Walking shitpost,” Freak held a hand to his chest in mock offense at Fenice’s suggestion.
“Yes, that!” Elly shouted in glee. Freak’s eyes switched to their unamused expression.
“....Gabrielle you don’t even know what a shitpost is.”
“Don’t care, it fits. Aaaand,” Elly flicked the cuffs’ restraints on.
“Oi.”
“There. Now our next stop is Geosenge. No gym there, but the full route to Shalour is a bit of a trek.”
“Wait Geosenge!?” Fencie almost dropped their notebook in their excitement. “Isn’t Parfum Palace on the way there? ... Wait, is Parfum Palace even still there?”
“I’m guessing you’re talking about the Royal Ruins?” Elly answered. “The big mansion that’s overgrown?” Fenice felt their stomach sink. “I mean we could stop by, but I’m not sure what you’d want to see.”
“... Well... Yeah, I would still like to. Parfum Palace was a place I always wanted to visit, the owner was a collector and had a bunch of amazing artifacts on display.”
“It was a lovely little place to spend an afternoon, wasn’t it?” Freak jumped in. “Owner was a bit of a dick, he had tours more for the flex than a want to share, but he occasionally knew when to be decent. Those were the rumors anyway, don’t have any memories of the guy myself. Do remember the antiques, though, they were amazing. Also the fireworks, fireworks were nice.” It was weird hearing him be nostalgic, given his usual indifference. “Also the underground bunker.”
“The what?” This wasn’t in any brochure Fencie knew of.
“I’ll see if I can find it again, it’s where the really expensive stuff was stored. Also personal garden, because what absurdly rich guy doesn’t have a self-sufficient food source under his house?” Freak laughed at the idea. “Ok, but can I have my hands-”
“No,” Elly grabbed Freak and pointed him in the direction of the city’s League building. “Now that’s enough for today. We’re heading back now. Fenice, you can look around the city on your own if you want.”
“Um… I-I’d rather not be out on my own yet,” They tried to word their exact discomforts, but thankfully Elly understood.
“No, you’re fine, c’mon,” She led them through the city, keeping prying eyes a safe distance from Freak. Fenice looked over their scribbled notes while they walked. They weren’t much, and arguably not even coherent, but they weren’t nothing. And right now, that’s all that could be asked for.

Data Log

One would think living for as many years as I have would make one patient. But then I remember that I have had the fortune of working at my own speed, unimpeded, for eons. Now I must rely on other entities for my work, and I had forgotten exactly how tedious that could be. The curse I carry, my Status grief, means that there is no one on my psychological or intellectual level, I can’t have a proper conversation with anyone because my power means I’ve already had that discussion countless times with equally countless variants. It’s why I originally created the power restraints. They were meant to curb my ability so I would be free of the strain felt by predicting dozens upon dozens of possible outcomes and focus on the few that were most likely.
How sickening it is to think that I had to recreate them and modify them to fit Freak. A choice item would’ve had a similar effect, but that wasn’t enough, they had to waste my time and resources so then they’d feel safe from someone who cannot kill. They don’t know that, granted, and never can, but the thought is still infuriating.

Last edited:

sky_

life is a trip alright (picrew by chereverie)
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
They are happy with rest, quiet and cuddles. They may try to be edgy or mysterious, but are often told that they present as the opposite.
Yeah Freak's memory loss is a bit of a downside and indeed can lead to interesting revelations. In time
> Elly won't die right?
What? Me? Do something horrific to a character? Really
oh no don't u say that after your zombie run don't u dare sdjfdsfj elly and fenice Will Be Fine i am gonna will them into staying alive
“For this to work you’d need to memorize the base stats, evolution conditions, movesets, and EXP curves of every single Pokemon.”
“I tend to hyperfixate.”
...this is literally me as a big pokemon nerd when i help my housemate with catching legendaries i dlkjfchdsjkfh wow kjldsfhjkdf
“Um... Oh, I get it,” Fenice took hold and took a couple steps back so they were standing at a slant.
“Yeah, that’s it. For now we’ll be trying to get you to maintain a sort of hover, just try to keep yourself off the ground as best you can,” Elly instructed. Fenice nodded and slowly spread their wings out. “Now your first flap will need to be a bit strong to get off the ground, but not too-”
FLAP
WOOSH
THUD

Fenice had flapped too hard and ended up sending themself up over Elly’s head and pulling them both to the ground. “oops.”
awwww poor fenice, rip ;ldfskfhdsjf you're trying, bean!
Yeah, that. Gijinka is just the word for ‘anthropomorphizing’ in a different language, but it ended up being what humanoid forms of Pokemon were…” Fenice tried not to cringe remembering certain takes of this
i was literally reading this after a conversation with my friends about furries where i was like "i wish i could be a pokemon, not in a furry way but -" and never heard the end of it from my (furry) friends who were winding me up i lsdjkfdslkjfh my poor mind sdjfhsdkjfhsdk
“So he’s…” Elly just waves her hand in Freak’s direction. “What word would you use for this?”
“Man of culture.”
“Walking shitpost,” Freak held a hand to his chest in mock offense at Fenice’s suggestion.
“Yes, that!” Elly shouted in glee. Freak’s eyes switched to their unamused expression.
Elly is slowly coming to terms with the vibes Freak gives off as well as some cultural references, we love to see it xD
The curse I carry, my Status grief, means that there is no one on my psychological or intellectual level, I can’t have a proper conversation with anyone because my power means I’ve already had that discussion countless times with equally countless variants. It’s why I originally created the power restraints.
this Being really has edgy "wake me up inside" "no-one understands me" "who really is on my level" vibes omg asjdfjdsfhdsj also this being made the restraints, and made them to fit Freak?? the Intrigue addkfhdskj

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
“Actually yeah, that checks out,” Fenice wrote as they spoke. “Freak forgets people who die, but the memes and quotes he uses, those aren’t people, those are characters and images. So all he remembers from the old world are jokes and obscure references without their proper context.”
“Man of culture.”
“....Gabrielle you don’t even know what a shitpost is.”

I love this entire exchange

OP
Uberle

Uberle

Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
New month new update
Remember to wake me up when the month ends so you'll also get the next one

@sky_ No idea what you're on about there, Asclepius is doing perfectly fine
Fenice really is trying
"I'm not a furry but" is how it always starts
Elly is slowly growing used to Freak but will never quite get there
I'd agree that the author of the data logs may be a bit much but he very much has justification for what he says

@Spectacles Definitely one of my favorite dialogue bits I've ever written

Fortunately for the group, finding Parfum Palace was easy enough. After all, the place had plenty of signs for tourists who wouldn’t know the area. Gates were open, so everything was going well. Until the hedge maze. Overgrown, countless dead ends, and centuries of neglect meant there were only a few areas one could easily search. At least on foot. “Maybe if we could look from above, it’d be faster?” Fenice suggested. “.... Well more just Elly, since she’s the only one that can fly-”
“I can fly,” Freak cut in. “In fact-”
“No.” Elly tapped his mask to make sure he was paying attention to her. “I will fly up by myself. I am trusting you to not cause problems.”
“..... This is a new development, and I’m not sure how to feel,” Freak sounded genuinely pleasantly surprised. He didn’t even add a quip like ‘a poor decision, really’ or anything else to ruin the moment. “.... You sure you won’t let me fly?”
“Not if I can help it,” Elly called back as she walked to get space to spread her wings. A quick flap and she was up in the air. She finally was by herself in her comfort zone. Feeling the wind swirl on her wings, goggles around her eyes, and no need to have any thoughts in her head. Just a brief freedom. But she had to return to reality eventually and found Freak monitoring Fenice as they burned away some shrubbery blocking their path. She kept watch to make sure things didn’t spiral out of control, but Fenice managed to keep their flame at a minimum. It was mildly entertaining watching from above as Freak and Fenice wandered around the maze, sometimes getting lost or separated and looking up to Elly for directions.
“Hey! I think I’ve found it!” Fenice waved Elly down to what looked like just a regular dead end from above. When she landed, she saw some metal under the dirt and overgrowth. A statue of some creature had fallen on top of it, as well, so you’d only find it if you were looking for it. “So... How are we going to open this?”
“I thought I was gonna do that,” Freak held up his bound arms. “It’ll just be a moment.”
“... A moment,” Elly flicked the restraints off and gave him access to one power.
Merci beaucoup,” Freak crouched down and Elly watched as he dragged the statue away with a hand and then crouched down to open the steel hatch. There was a scraping noise as his fingers sunk into the steel as he ripped the bunker’s door up without expressing any strain. Once he set it aside, she immediately turned off his powers. “... Oi.”
“My trust has limits,” She told him. Seeing the casual feat of strength reminds her just how perfectly capable of overpowering her he is. “I’ll go in first.”
“Oh by all means, please,” Freak bowed low and posed like he was opening a door for her as she took the steps down. “Yell when you see something so I can get a headstart!” He shouted down to her. She decided to ignore him. At the bottom of the stairs was another door, locked shut, so she started to call Freak down when it suddenly opened and a voice with a weird accent came out of it.
“Y-you freed me,” It was a voice that wasn’t used to being used. “I came in here for shelter, but then a storm locked me in. I thought I would be trapped here forever.”
The occupant revealed himself to be an absurdly tall old man in torn clothing with hair reaching down to his knees. Elly tried to see more of him, but Freak derailed her train of thought.
“OH FUCK YOU!” Freak shouted. “NEVER THOUGHT TO SEE IF I MAY BE ACTIVE?!” He marched up to the old man, fighting against Elly’s attempts at holding him back. “You never thought to do anything to make it obvious you were around, no, just go to your summer home and hide there forever, FUCKING FINE!”
“.... Z-” The old man began but Freak screeched to silence him.
“NO! NO! That is not who I am, not after what you did. That is now part of you, remember?! Deal with it!” Freak finally stopped to catch his breath, letting the old man get his words out.
“... Z, what happened to you, my friend?”
“I FUCKING WONDER, A!”

He dared to think about the past for once. Why not, it seemed to keep popping up in the present, three millenia be damned.
There stood the ancient former king of Kalos, A. Could he be called a former friend? Well yeah, but that still felt too sanitized for who and what this man is. The two of them got a lot of genuine good done. All of it was disintegrated, but it existed at one point. Then the war.
Then Chromia.
At first A wanted to bring her back, but who you would call Z at the time said no. The dead that have died are dead. A accepted that he would have to work alone but never got anywhere as the war raged on.
So A wanted to end things for good, but that went against the values of his “partner” so guess that Being had to go.
A continued on.
And made a weapon.
“How’d the death lazer turn out?”
“The what-”
“Gabrielle, please don’t interrupt. I have three millennia of bile I need to regurgitate right now.”
“It got out of hand, that I will admit.”
“You killed the planet.”
“... Yes. I did,” Oh joy he had already come to terms with his crimes. That sucks most of the fun, but maybe some catharsis can still be gained. “All but three of us.”
“Yeah, how generous- Wait. Wait no.”
“What?”
“You said three. But you’ve been in here. How do you know about Fenice?”
“... Who?”
“.....” Hello Fury, you old friend. “ARE! YOU! SHIT! TING! ME?! THERE’S A FOURTH?!”
“...... Yes. Another Being.”
“Nice to see how much I meant to you. Did he also go with your revival experiment and do everything for you I couldn’t?”
“Don’t go there, Z-”
“I am Freak.”
“Not to me, never to me.”
“You don’t get a choice, not after this,” He took his mask off and gave a big smile. He put it back on quickly, but he got his point across. “Now if you would be so kind. Who ‘helped’ you?”
“His name is Wilhelm. I... Never learned what his power is. I suspect Status but.. Well I wasn’t allowed to watch him work. He did what was asked and did it well, so I didn’t argue.”
“Glad to see those highly respected decision making skills on full display.”
“... yes,” A slowly shook his head. “Grief clouds one’s vision quite a bit... And Wilhelm knew how to exploit that,” In comparison to the one who was Z. Who knew nothing about it.

“...... Ok I’ve taken all I can handle for now,” Freak marched out of the bunker, but stopped on the stairs. “Actually I do have one more thing. Your little feat did give me something so I’ll share it with you. Thank you, A. Now I know what happens when someone I’ve forgotten comes back.” He finished climbing the stairs and A burst into tears.
“...... thank you, Z” He mumbled out even though Freak wasn’t within earshot. “Thank you,” A wiped the tears from his eyes and his gaze drifted over to Fenice and Elly. The two had silently moved into a corner as Freak vented. Fenice felt that they were very out of place but also very involved in the discussion. “Can I guess that the fourth, Fenice was it, is one of you?”
“T-that’s me,” Fenice stepped forward and bowed slightly. A had a face of slight doubt, but they knew it was warranted. “I.. I think I have an idea of who you are. A, or AZ depending on who you ask, the king of Kalos.”
“Hmph,” A bowed in return, which was a bit awkward considering how much he was already bending over to fit in the room. “Well that’s who I was. Even then AZ was a bit of a running joke. Z never liked making public appearances so most of what he did was attributed to me to the point where people thought he was a figure I made to remain humble.”
“So Freak’s name was Z?” Elly asked while she remained against the wall. “Who was he back then?
“Z was... Well he was someone who enjoyed using his power to help. He saw that it was his role to give assistance to anyone who asked. But…” A looked up the stairs with a pained look. “It seems he hasn’t been that person for a long time…”
“... Fenice. What do you know of him?” She pointed at the former king before speaking to him. “I’ll be asking you for further information but I’m going to ask the closest I have to an unbiased source.”
“Well… A was the king of Kalos, as I said. Um... After the war he kept to himself- Oh right I should talk about the war. And... The draft.”
“I hate this tale,” A muttered. “So many mistakes from a single choice.”
“You do know what a draft is, right?” Fenice asked Elly. They still didn’t know a lot about the world, or what concepts still remained.
“Yeah, but it’s never been enacted.”
“Well, there was a draft... For Pokemon,” It happened before they were born, and Unova never got involved with the war, it was on the other side of the planet after all, but they still remember learning about the aftermath.
“.... I still don’t fully get what Pokemon are, but why do I feel like that is absolutely messed up?” Elly’s feathers ruffled a bit. “From what you’ve said they could be considered pets, or even family, why send them to war?!”
“Because the other side did first,” Fenice recalled from several lessons. “And humans were just humans, they didn't stand any chance against Pokemon. So it was either send in Pokemon to even the odds, or stick with humans and almost certainly lose. And to urge others to go along with it... A sent his own Floette to the battlefield.”
“And from what Freak said,” Elly checked off the series of events on her fingers while keeping her tone neutral. “Floette died, you tried to get Freak to help you revive her but he said no, and then turned to this... Wilhelm. And he.... Killed the planet?”
“Except for a few individuals, but only I was intentional. He let me live. He called it a reward,” A spat out. “That I would get to see the world he created. It wasn’t even sincere, I think he wanted someone to show off to.”
“Show off what?” Elly asked.
“You,” A simply pointed at her.
“... Oh,” Fenice felt the pieces click together. “So that’s why I’m... This.”
“I was curious about that. Z said you were from the past, but your appearance is rather... Modern,” A chuckled a bit at his word choice.
“I... Well I don’t know exactly but…” Fenice paused to breathe and properly work out what they wanted to say. “I wasn’t meant to live, but I did. Then Wilhelm found me and made me a Moltres. I woke up not that long ago and am.. I’m just trying to figure out what happened.”
“Well I can supply more than enough to explain that. It is a rather long story, but if you’re willing to listen then I’ll tell it.”
“Oh, uh, yes! Absolutely!”
“Fenice, could you wait a bit?” Elly asked. She finally walked away from the wall and peered into the bunker. “I have some questions of my own, and I think they won’t take as long.”
“A-are they about Freak?” Elly only gave them a guarded look. “Um.... Ok, sure.. I’ll.. go make sure Freak didn’t run off somewhere,” They hurried up the stairs to find the Being while Elly walked into the bunker. They left her to ask what she wanted because they really only had one question; how would they find Wilhelm?”

Data Log

Above damned variables.
Freak should be passing Parfum Palace today.
I lost track of AZ a while ago, but alone he was never something I’d consider a problem. He broke long ago, there was no reason for him to ever try to interfere. Even him meeting Freak wouldn’t be too problematic, the latter holds nothing but contempt for the former.
But Patient Zero is another matter.
They didn’t have to live all this time. They still hold something that the other two have almost none of.
The hope that they can do something.
AZ caused this scenario and Freak is living mainly on spite, neither really want to try and face me.
But that one bit of naivete, that slightest untainted memory of the world they all knew.
It’s ramifications are incalculable.

Last edited:

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Ohhh man, what a reveal! Unraveling more and more of Freaks past with each update. Parfum palace should be interesting, and that horrible double battle that goes with it...

OP
Uberle

Uberle

Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
Spooky month
And it's the first day of it
So update time

@Spectacles No battles, but plenty of reveals about Freak

Elly sat in the bunker’s living room and noticed that it was like the one she met Fenice in with similar furniture and decor, but a lot less cramped, although it looked like a miniature set with A occupying it. He took a seat on the floor and still managed to rival her standing height. “Is there a reason that you wanted to speak with me alone?” He asked. His accent was still off putting. Fenice’s was also not from any place Elly knew, but she felt like she had heard A’s and just couldn’t place it. “What questions meant that Fenice couldn’t join us?”
“It concerns Freak and... Some things that Fenice wouldn’t want to hear talked about,” Elly looked at the floor for a second and raised her eyes back to A. “I’ve spent a couple weeks with him, and I am going to spend many more. Between you and Fenice, it’s clear that his ramblings of some ancient world are real, and he’s got a history. And if I’m going to spend that much time with him, I want to know who he is.”
“You two are quite attached then?” A asked with uncertainty.
“Why do you think I am with Freak?”
“I have no guesses, to be honest,” A shrugged. “Even in the past Z tended to wander alone. He had friends in other places, I knew that, but none that seemed to be with him.”
“.... Tell me about Freak, what kind of person was he?”
“He....” A sighed with a mix of guilt and nostalgia. “He was rather odd. He enjoyed helping others, but never did so unless someone asked him. He never lied, but wasn’t above leaving things out if he thought someone didn’t need to know them. For better or worse,” This matched with what Elly knew of Freak. She thought he’d be a bit less cryptic, but looks like he’s always been a cryptid.
“And what did he tend to do to those who cross him?”
“What are you getting at?” A asked with little hesitation and much indignation.
“I work for the Kalos League as a gym monitor. But for the duration of the season I was given an unusual assignment. Freak,” She raised her arm with the power glove. “This is connected to a set of power dampening cuffs Freak is wearing.”
“.... What have you done to my friend?” A asked quietly
“It’s more what he’s done,” Elly let out a breath. “Freak is under arrest, but due to contracts and other bureaucracy stuff he must take on the gyms.”
“Under arrest for what?”
“Murder,” Elly was anticipating several reactions from A. Outrage, sorrow, possibly numbness at what Freak had become. She never thought, of all things, that he’d laugh. “What?”
“Oh, sorry, it’s just,” A answered once his laughter wound down. “Well that’s one of the last things he’d ever actually do. It’s not that he can’t kill, it’s that he has the largest incentive possible to not do that.”
“I don’t see how forgetting someone would be that effective a deterrent.”
“Oh,” A’s expression sunk to one of sudden realization. “I see, he didn’t tell you.”
“If I had to guess,” Elly thought back to Freak’s conversation with Lysandre. “His kickback operates a bit differently when he is the cause of death?”
“Very. When someone dies, Z loses all of his memories of them. But if they fall at his hand, then he absorbs their memories of him including the moment of their death,” A stopped for a second before continuing. “I wouldn’t normally tell you,” He admitted guiltily. “But given what he’s become... He’s not going to tell you himself and I feel like that’s what you’ve been wanting to know.”
“What was your last meeting like? The last time he was Z?”
“It was... terrible.”

“Your plan is what?” Z wanted to make sure that he heard correctly. He had spent several years popping in to check on A, granted less frequently given the war, but this was a massive lurch from what the king was previously.
“I- We will build a device, using the Tree of Life as the core,” A walked around the paper-ridden room. Blue prints, rough sketches, and several chalkboards with mathematics and notes strewn about the place. “It channels pure life energy, it can restore something close to death with ease, so if we can find a way to amplify that, then it could revive those who already crossed the line!”
“No,” Z’s answer was quick and cold.
“If this works, then I can bring back Chromia!”
“No.”
“Please Z! I need to do this, and you’re the only one who can help me.”
“No. I can’t help you. Dead is dead, not even I can change that.”
“YES YOU CAN!” A erupted. “You can do so much, you can bend every rule of the universe to your whim, why not this?!”
“Because I can’t. I just can’t.”
“..... liar,” And that was the step too far.
“I am several things, but that. That is one I am not, have not, and will not ever be.”
“And what about Chromia?”
“..... You know I don’t know who that is anymore.”
“But you did, and if we get her back then your memories will come back too and-”
“A, stop talking and listen,” Z hated to use the power, but it was the only way to make sure his words were heard. “Sit,” Compelled by the ability Z mimicked, A moved to a chair and lowered himself into it. “Even if I could, I will not help. You are trying to do something no one is meant to do. A realm of possibilities so forbidden that measures have been made to make sure not even I can take a step closer to it,” A couldn’t speak, but his look showed his defiance of that warning. “..... So long as you continue this, I’m not going to help with anything you do. If you decide to finally drop this then let me know, until then, I’ll be in Sinnoh,” Z scanned the room one last time and made his way to a window. “But whatever this is you’re working on... Your math checks out,” And he flew away.

Fenice found Freak headbutting a tree over and over. His mask wasn’t scratched despite the amount of bark it had managed to chip away. “um... Freak?” He stopped for a moment then went back to tree bashing. “Z?” That got him to hit the tree so hard a dent of his mask was left in its trunk, grin included.
“Don’t call me that,” He turned to them. “Don’t.”
“.... Do you need to rant?”
“I’ve done enough of that already. It took me a few weeks but when I realized that I only remembered him then I spent several decades just screaming about what he had done. A few more after finally finding Chromia, but that’s an extra thing,” Something about that name sounded familiar to Fenice.
“Was Chromia A’s Floette?” The king’s Pokemon that was sent to the front lines to support the war effort. Who then died, and apparently came back if Freak’s words were anything to go by.
“Yeah, still is, she liked being small and didn’t want to become a Florges so never tried to find the right stone.”
“She’s still alive right?” Freak just gave Fenice a sideways glance. “Have you met her since she... revived?” Saying it out loud made them realize just how little they understood anything about this situation.
“Yeah, she’s still out there somewhere. Ran into her once, probably just because she wanted to see if I was still alive. Or wanted proof that there were others around,” He let out what Fenice believed to be a sigh but it sounded more like someone walking on gravel. “Her visit wasn’t long, but it helped. No idea what she’s up to now.”
“I’m guessing you never cared enough to look into it?”
“Now you’re getting it,” Freak swiveled around to look at the bunker’s entrance. A second later Elly walked out and over to him.
“Take off the mask,” She commanded him.
“Gabrielle-”
“I am going to ask you a couple things and I want to see your face as I ask them.”
“And what do I gain besides a feeling of discomfort?”
“Depending on how you answer it you may get closer to me trusting you enough to fly,” Freak’s eyes moved around his mask as he considered the option, and to Fenice’s surprise he complied.
“Please be quick about it, ok?”
“Ok. First question, have you ever killed anyone?” Fenice almost made a noise at how direct that question was and Freak’s quick answer only further shook them.
“Yes. Two people, if that was your next question. Both a very long time ago even ignoring the time skip.”
“Next, how trustworthy is A?”
“Oh he won’t lie to you, he’s lost too much,” Freak’s tone turned bitter. “Also took a fair deal, so I think by now he’s learned it’s not smart to hide anything.”
“... Ok, that is all,” Elly flicked the cuffs’ restraints off. “A is staying here and isn’t planning on leaving anytime soon, so say goodbye if you want. If not then we need to get to Geosenge before sundown,” Freak was already walking away before she finished talking. “Do you want to ask A anything?” Elly asked Fenice.
“Oh! Uh…” Fenice looked at the many notes they had scribbled throughout their notebook. “I.. Don’t think so. For the rest of this, I don’t want to just be told I want to find out on my own. Maybe another time but for now... I think I’ll hold off on questions.”
“Alright. Now let’s catch up to Freak before he wanders too far off and we lose him. I don’t want to fill out that paperwork.”

Data Log

Patient Zero and Freak have most certainly met AZ.
They passed the area I have been suspecting he ended up in today but Elly report was that nothing happened.
She doesn’t want to lie to Malva, so she simply stated that they went to the palace and looked around the place, then left.
A lot was left out, and the statement was both vague and precise enough to assume the worst. Well the worst for me.
They know my name now, but that’s all. It’s worrying, but I can salvage this.
I need to simply keep my head down and power through.
I am almost there and I won’t let an apathetic creature ruin all I’ve worked for.

Leon Yorunaki

I'll Spirit Shackle you!
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Ghost
oh boy, this rabbit hole gust got deeper. Is this connected to the zombielocke somehow? Doubt it at first glance, but who knows?

I still don't get the gist of gijinka most of the time, but yours definitely took it to a completely different twist. Now, Freak is certainly freak, but he doesn't freak out that often. Except when someone steals his mask, of course...
Granted, "walking shitpost" is the perfect definition for him, given by the least expected kind of creature. Fenice. You lucky bastard!

And, well, it certainly took a darker turn two corners ago, but all I can say is "the plot thickens". So much I can make a yummy sandwich from that. Especially because of those data logs...

But I'll finish with a simple, unrelated commentary: you sure do love randomizers, huh?

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Oooh that is an interesting twist! So Freak would never intentionally kill someone because he would absorb all their memories. That’s a really cool caveat that makes Freak even more interesting in that even though he’s crazy and unpredictable, there are limits to what he’s willing to do

OP
Uberle

Uberle

Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
So begins a new month
And a new update
It's NaNo month so good luck to anyone participating!

@Leon Yorunaki No connection to Asclepius' adventures, I just like using Beings
Freak is Freak most certainly
Definitely got into some fun developments these last couple updates
And the data logs will definitely keep your interest
Also yes, I am fond of randomizers, it's just fun

@Spectacles Slightly modified from how his power originally worked, but still a massive incentive for Freak to not kill
He's got standards, but some are a bit more obscure than others

“Are you... Ok?”
“Not really, in all honesty,” Elly was waiting for the other League staff to retrieve Freak and Fenice was standing nervously a few feet away. “It’s just... As much as the past few days have been for you, I’m suddenly learning stuff that recontextualizes my entire life, and possibly the existence of my species sooooo...” Elly made a half shrug. “It’s a process on top of having to guard Freak and now you.”
“Oh... Sor-”
“Don’t apologize, you joining us was ultimately my decision, anything that comes of that isn’t your fault.”
“Ok..” Elly could hear the apology that Fenice barely managed to not speak.
“ELLY! Hey!” There was a sound of rollerblades that signaled the arrival of an old friend of Elly’s. As well as the sudden near-collision.
“Korrina, we are inside,” Elly said as she stepped away from the wall she had flattened herself against.
“Eh, well I’m a gym leader, what’s anyone here gonna tell me to do?” The Delphox laughed off the lecture. “Oh, who’s this?” She asked, suddenly noticing Fenice.
“I’m Fenice,” They bowed slightly and glanced at Elly for help.
“Fenice, meet Korrina, she’s the Shalour Gym leader and was a gym monitor with me once upon a time,” The two hadn’t met in a while, with Elly being monitors for the higher level gyms.
“Yeah we were around the same level, then this one got the benefit of just needing a stone to evolve, which is a bit of a cheat, especially with a Togekiss’ moveset, and since we’re on the topic...” Korrina skated around Fenice a couple times, looking them up and down. “What are you exactly? My first guess was Talonflame, but you don’t have the resting glare that makes you look like you’re trying to figure out how to eat me.”
“Oh, uh, I’m a Moltres,” Fenice answered. “... Oh wait, you don’t know what that is, sorry.”
“Only you and Freak seem to,” Elly stuck out a wing to get Korrina to stay in place. “They’re Fire/Flying, and seem to be more of a special attacker, but that’s all.”
“... Ok so... Is Freak his actual name?” Korrina said in a low voice. “Or is it a stage thing, I really have to know because I can’t believe someone would want to be called that with a straight face.”
“I mean I’m not picky on what face you make, I hide mine so I don’t get to judge what people do with theirs,” Freak said, suddenly appearing behind Korrina who spun around and promptly punched him in the mask. “... oi.”
“ARCEUS CHRIST! Who would just let him sneak up on people like that?” Korrina skated away from Freak. “Are those cuffs really all they’ve got to keep him in check?”
“I mean I’m not that strong without them. Got no special capabilities and if I had to put a number to my strength it’d be…” Freak flexed his left arm as his mask made what Elly presumed were calculating noises. “Thirty five. Which is average for humans, but for Pokemon is kinda pathetic.”
“Pft. As if I’d believe he’s that weak,” Korrina did a skate around Freak. “Though I don’t really see anything too special.”
“Is she just going to keep talking like I can’t hear her?” Freak asked. “Sorry but I can’t help but notice that she’s purposefully refusing to address me and I think that’s gonna make our gym battle a bit difficult.”
“You’re good ignoring him,” Elly told Korrina. “Trust me it’s for your own sanity.”
“Oi.”
“Wasn’t going to stop-” The gym leader is cut off by her phone ringing. “One mo’,” She skated away as she started talking to whoever called.
“I feel like I’m gonna have trouble getting her to fight me” Freak said once Korrina was out of earshot. “I’d rather that not be the case because it’s rather vital to my whole challenge thing.”
“She will,” Elly said. “Her personal feelings don’t allow her to turn down a challenger, though she probably will delay as best she can.”
“Well that’s just lovely, isn’t it? I need to work on See You Later Girl’s schedule.”
“Sorry, was he referring to me there?” Korrina asked as she slid back in. “Actually don’t answer, don’t really care. So that was the League asking why I wasn’t at my gym. Gonna come up with a reason later, but right now I just gotta see what a Moltres can do.”
“I- Uh... Ok actually kinda want to figure that out too,” Fenice admitted.
“Sweet, let’s go!” Korrina cheered as she rolled away.
“Pretty face, but her head is up in space,” Freak commented and Fenice made a noise like someone just hit them.
“AH! WHY!? That song is gonna be stuck in my head now!”
“It’s been in mine since I saw her, so everyone must suffer as I do.”
“.... Ok what song?” Elly ventured.
“This’ll be fun,” Freak said as the tune started playing from his mask.

“Ok I see what you mean, that’s going to play every time I see Korrina now, thank you Freak, you absolute monster.”
“De nada,” He turned off the music.
“... Hold on, how do you have that saved?” Fenice too had learned to live with the curse and was recovered by this point. “It can’t be an app, those have fail safes if you’re offline for too long, so how....” He turned on a new song.
“YAR HAR FIDDLE DEE DEE!”
“.... fair enough,” Gabrielle had that look when she really wanted to ask but denied him the fun, so Fenice answered. “The song’s about pirates if you know what pun he’s looking for.”
“Sorry, no, and I don’t want to, but thanks,” Fenice started to apologize then stopped. Seems they’ve grown self conscious about that. “So Korrina should be waiting in the workout station for us. When we get there we’ll set stuff up for Fenice and Freak will sit and say nothing.”
“We both know I’ll do no such thing.”
“Workout station? That feels a bit clunky to say but I guess ‘gym’ would be too confusing,” Fenice said as they all arrived. See You Later Girl already was at a punching machine and waiting by it. He did take a seat, but only because he wanted to.
“Hey, Elly, why don’t you test this out? Show Fenice how it works and the other one what you’re packing?”
“I already know Gabrielle’s attack stat actually, look,” He turned his mask away from everyone and projected a stat screen for Gabrielle who was quite taken aback.
“Wait, since when could you do this?”
“Yes.”
“Do EVs work differently now?” Fenice focusing on more important things like Gabrielle having 425 EVs in Attack. “Because I’m pretty sure that’s not normal.”
“There are no limit if that’s what you’re wondering,” See You Later Girl, might be regretting making her name so long, cut in. “Although growth does slow once a stat hits 252, not sure why.”
“Anyway,” Getting attention back to him. “Here we see that Gabrielle has an Attack stat of 109 at level forty, and since her max at fifty is supposed to be 112, that’s neat.”
“Are we really trusting that?” See You Later Girl was really trying to ignore him. “C’mon Elly, hit the pad and let’s figure this out for real.”
“I wouldn’t be so sure to write him off,” Gabrielle was speaking more from experience than faith but that was fine. “He doesn’t like to lie.”
“And you believe him?” See You Later Girl expressing a reasonable amount of doubt.
“Well let’s see,” Gabrielle threw a punch at the machine. When she stepped back the number 109 dinged. “That is just my physical strength, remember.”
“Right, Hustle, bonus damage but an accuracy drop,” Fenice recited.
“Yeah but my goggles have Scope Lens built in, so it balances out.”
“Which reminds me, we need to talk about your moveset-”
“Ok Fenice your turn!” See You Later Girl interrupted him. “Let’s see what you’ve got.”
“Well they’ve got quite a lot. More than you think,” But he was still ignored. Fenice walked over and took a bit of time to prepare so he check their stats and-
“Ok pause. Elly you have something I can write down on?” She looked at him weird, given he used the shorter name, but did hand him a small flip book and pen retrieved from somewhere in those pants. He wrote down a number. “Carry on.”
“Should I be worried?”
“No, Fenice, you’re fine. Carry on,” They still looked ruffled, feathers are very bad at hiding things, but finally gave the machine a punch. “Ok still no worry, but a tad concerning,” It was the same number

152. They didn’t know how to process that but Freak already did.
“I was afraid of that,” He turned the flip book around to show that he had written the same number. “So adding to the list of things that’ve been done to you, let’s throw perfect IVs and 253 EVs in every stat onto that. Also you’ve been set to level 50 and no I have no idea how the hell any of that works.”
“HOLY SHIT!” Fenice jumped as Korrina suddenly shouted. “152?! Like this?” She gestured to Fenice’s slim frame and then to Elly’s considerably more toned one. “Base stats are a bitch, huh?” She looked at Freak for a second then just turned back around. Fenice took the moment to try and guess what Freak would register, as his clothes made it hard to tell what actual muscle mass he had, but couldn’t decide. They remember he said thirty five earlier, but they weren’t sure if he was being completely truthful.
“That’s... Hm,” Elly looked at the screen with what Fenice guessed was a mix of surprise and annoyance at having the lower number. “Base stats are a bitch.”
“So maybe you could, ya know, learn another Special move?” Korrina made a flame flash in her hand. “Take advantage of that monster of a base stat?”
“No.”
“Alright, have it your way,” Korrina grabbed Fenice’s hands and pulled them over to a different machine. “Let’s figure out your Special Attack stat now, it’ll be-”
“It’s 194,” Freak called over. “And they really don’t know how to control their power so I would advise against that!”
“No really, how would he know that?” Korrina directed to Elly.
“As he’s proved, he just does. I’ve learned to stop questioning him. Also, he’s right,” Fenice pulled out of Korrina’s grasp as Elly elaborated. “Fenice isn’t used to this power, they keep over using it and tiring themself out.”
“Uh... Yeah, sorry,” Fenice apologized then mentally kicked themself for apologizing unnecessarily. “I’m not... Good at doing Gijinka stuff.”
“Eh, you’re fine,” Korrina dismissed. “Some have that problem, like newly evolved Gyarados. Just takes a bit. But I’m guessing you’re not the best at taking hits so maybe hold off on fights if you’re planning on getting into any.”
"Well actually Speed is their lowest stat, but that’s because Quiet," Freak commented. Fenice wasn’t sure if Quiet was actually their nature or if Freak was giving them a reason to avoid answering any of Korrina’s questions, but they were thankful he was answering. “Special Defense is their lowest base stat.”
"What's that at?" Elly asked since Korrina wasn't going to.
"I'm guessing Forty Five-ish, can’t be that high" The Delphox ventured.
"85," Freak deadpanned.
"I'm sorry, what?" Korrina speaking to Freak directly for the first time. “How is that even possible? What absurd stats are those?!”
“Legendary.”
“Ok, What exactly is your goal here?” Korrina skated over to Freak and looked down at him. “Are you just saying stuff to annoy me? What do you want?”
“Fight me?” Korrina backed away a couple feet at that while Freak kept talking. “You are the third gym leader, and I’m a gym challenger with two badges, best to take care of this now.”
“...” She turned away from him. “Elly bring him over to the stone claws tomorrow, I’m not letting him into my gym but I’ll fight him as a leader there tomorrow, peace,” She bowed and skated out of the room.
“My, she really doesn’t like me, does she?”
“You’ve worked quite hard to get that result,” Elly pulled him to his feet. “So that’s mission accomplished isn’t it?”
“Eh.”
“Yeah expected as much. Fenice, I’m gonna hand Freak over to the security guys and we can practice your flying a bit more, ok?”
“Um, ok,” Fenice waved bye to Freak as Elly dragged him out and found themself alone. They went over to the punch machine and hit it, looking at the number 152 again. Just how powerful were they? And how much stronger could they get?
And can I use it to fight Wilhelm if it comes to that? They wonder.

Data Log

It’s odd just how much is tied to a Pokemon’s genetic material. A Fire type can’t learn every fire move, not every one with fists can learn punching moves, and in some cases those lacking those qualities can still learn how to utilize them, such as Gastly being able to learn Fire Punch.
It all depends on the Pokemon itself and what nature has granted it the capability to use.
And then there are base stats.
The physical abilities are fairly consistent. IVs and the like notwithstanding, every Pokemon of the same species will be able to run, hit, and endure identically.
And the power to escape those confides is the beauty of the Gijinka.
They combine the human ability to endlessly grow with the almost Being-like powers of Pokemon.
No hindering cap to EVs or slowly growing Levels, only constant improvement to those who train for it.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Loves music, worldbuilding, anthropomorphism, horrible puns, and Masquerain.
...okay, now I have to ask just how the heck all this works within your actual game, and why the frick you decided that this sort of thing was a good idea to begin with.

Leon Yorunaki

I'll Spirit Shackle you!
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Ghost
NaNo month please have mercy of me

Freak, you silly bastard. I don't know how it works, but it just works. Is this a game for you? Infinite EVs? This should make no sense at all!
But the thing I won't forgive you for is that reference at the end of first... paragraph? voice? how do I call it? You get what I mean. The worst part of it is that I knew it was a song the moment I saw it, but didn't quite figure out which without a google search, and it makes getting the thing stuck in my head even worse.
Obviously, my rage was washed away with the other song; I giggled so hard at it, and I shouldn't because I'm reading this while at work (don't do this!). Wonder if Elly managed to get the pun. or why Freak thought it was a good idea to save a meme song of all things...

And I wonder who would win in a serious fight between Freak and Fenice...

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
I love how Freak is just yelling out stats and IVs and EVs to Korrina and no one really knows what he’s talking about but everyone also knows him well enough now not to ask questions lol

OP
Uberle

Uberle

Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
NaNo is over
Got a lot of writing done
Fun times and congrats to everyone who got through it all

@Trollkitten It's actually the game play that made me want to add this
Because late game fights are usually decided in one or two hits and the occasional heal spam which isn't very interesting to write combat around and while thinking about how to deal with that I thought of this
Also because Wilhelm created the Gijinka and I think this would be something he would add onto them beyond regular Pokemon abilities

@Leon Yorunaki Freak at this point does not care enough to wonder. But extra EVs do mean that he gets better fights so bonus all around
Of course has meme songs, he must make sure they never die out
And to answer your question. Freak. By a landslide. If he didn't have the cuffs on he'd be near unstoppable.

@Spectacles It's what makes him fun to write. He just does whatever but everyone around him has accepted this
He doesn't lie and by this point it's either go with it or go crazy trying to figure out what he's on about

“Hey, Elly,” Korrina called up to her. Elly was flying around to stretch her wings. Freak was showing Fenice some videos he had on his mask. She had no interest, so decided to leave them alone for a bit.
“Where’s the other one you had with you?”
“Fenice? They’re with Freak, the two get along.”
“Unattended?”
“They’re both inside a League building, if Freak was going to try something this would be one of the worst places to do that.”
“Yeah but considering who he murdered, I doubt his decision making skills,” Something about the way Korrina said that made Elly think there was something she didn’t know, and it apparently showed.“Wait, do you not know who the victim was?”
“I never really read about the whole thing in the first place and then the League ordered me to not look into things more because they needed me as impartial as possible,” The higher ups wanted Elly to be able to both protect Freak from others as well as others from him. Even given what everyone thinks he’s done, having other League challengers take out a competitor isn’t something they want to deal with. “I know she was a Seviper named Ebony who worked for Lysandre and that’s more or less it.”
“Ah. Then I probably shouldn’t say anything more. Don’t want to get in trouble with the execs, or that demon.”
“He’s more gremlin, really.”
“Ok I need to know, what’s the guy actually like? You’re weirdly passive about him, but come on. You’ve been traveling with that absolute monster for weeks, you could probably write a book about the shit he’s put you through.”
“Oh I definitely could,” Elly started, but stopped when she thought more about the question in the way Korrina intended. She considered what others- What she had thought of Freak before. What she believed he was, as Korrina put it, an absolute monster. The shift had been gradual enough that she didn’t really notice how far she moved, but hearing her old thoughts from Korrina’s mouth... Elly actually trusted Freak. Well not that much, he’s still a little shit, but more than she ever would’ve bet on.
“Uh, Elly, you ok?” Korrina waved a hand in front of Elly’s face. “You didn’t leave your head up in space did you?”
“N-no, I’m fine,” Elly tried not to visibly cringe when that damn song started playing in her head again.”Just thinking about what Freak has done, which isn’t much. He never shuts up, but that’s all really.”
“He probably knows that you can knock his lights out easy,” Korrina jabbed the air mimicking Elly’s punches. “Speaking of which, you should go get him now, I shouldn’t be away from my gym for too long today, once you guys pass I’m gonna get a flood of challengers.”
“Are we holding the queue up?”
“Well after that one’s display after the opening ceremony, taking on multiple League challengers with those cuffs locking all his powers, a lot decided to stay back and a few sprinted ahead to keep a safe distance.”
“Oh right, that. I only caught the last few moments, didn’t know it had that much of an impact.”
“It really did, now get him before I end up with a massive backlog.”

He knew See You Later Girl had no idea of his history, but he still felt like she knew their battle location would fuck with his head. Right in the jaws of the machine that started all of this mess. “By the way I know skating is your thing and you are a Delphox, but try not to do the ring of fire thing, I just dealt with that, I don’t like repeats.”
“Oh so that’s what Grant’s doing?” See You Later Girl asked Gabrielle.
“The League barely convinced him to remain for this season, so he’s probably doing things as quickly as possible.”
“Yeah that sounds like him.”
“And here I thought it was just because no one seems to want me around,” Only Fenice gave any sign of hearing this. “Viola dismissed me early, and I have a feeling this will be similarly brief.”
“Wait, Viola just let him go without a fight?” See You Later Girl apparently never considered this option.
“I mean I did beat all her gym trainers first, but yeah.”
“Well I’m never letting him in my gym in the first place, so that’s not happening.”
“Original plan then?” He really just wanted to get things moving.
“Yeah, yeah. Ready?” See You Later Girl started a countdown. “Three, two, one, GO!”
He equipped Blastoise and fired a Water Pulse at her, which hit head on.
And
See You Later Girl fell over.
“Aw. Oh no. Ah that was a nasty crit. Well shame that was all I could do against it, good game, here’s your badge,” She flung it at him and it bounced off his mask.
“No. No. Get back up, we’re fighting.”
“Elly, would you mind turning the restraints back on before he attacks?”
“We’re not done here!” He shouted as Gabrielle locked his arms together. “Why?! Why can’t I get a fight?! I entered this League because I wanted fun fights! But here I am, three gyms in, and the only ones I’ve actually gotten have been quick or I’ve been powerless! I JUST WANT TO FIGHT!”
“Should I tell him about Ramos?” See You Later Girl sounded way too happy about this. “Because I really want to tell him about Ramos.”
“No, you should go, it’s probably best that you not stick around.”
“Okseeyoubothlater byeeeeeeeeeeeee!” See You Later Girl skated away and just left him standing there.
“That didn’t take too long,” Gabrielle ignoring his frustration. “We can probably make it to lower Courmaline today.”
“There has to be something around here besides just more roads to spend the day walking down!”
“Isn’t the Tower of Mastery nearby?” Fenice. His only friend here right now. “If it’s still a thing and still does what it did before.”
“And what would that be?” Oh right, Ms Champion mentioned that that stuff was a secret mostly a while back.
“Mega evolution, right?” Fenice the eternal friend.
“Wait, that’s what it does?!” Gabrielle really was clueless. “Its function has been secret for basically ever. Korrina’s family runs the place, and even she hasn’t told me anything about it.”
“Next destination decided, let’s go Gabrielle.”
“Yeah no. We’ll go later, but right now-”
“NO! NOW! MY PART’S OVER! SMASH CUT!”

The Tower of Mastery.
Fenic had read a lot about this place as basically any history class even vaguely related to Kalos talked about it at some point. Kalos was the home of Mega Evolution and this place was where that power was honed.
They guessed that Wilhelm decided that it was worthy enough to remain after the wipe. The statue of the Mega Lucario that stood at the center was gone however. Now the space was just empty letting them gaze up at the stairs that spiraled up to the top of the tower.
“Oh you’ve got to be fucking kidding me,” Korrina’s voice rang out. “Why are you here? And why is he loose!?”
“Because I can contain him,” Elly said with an irritated tone. “As for why he wants to be here, I’ll let him explain that.”
“Well you see,” Freak’s mask shifted to have him wear glasses. “According to texts from the before times, this is where those with potential to Mega evolve would come to-”
“How the actual fuck does he know that’s what we do here?” Korrina was really upset about all this. “And before that, why does he think it applies to him? He’s a Ditto!”
“Ok how much do you actually believe that?” Fenice piped up. “No really, look at him, do you really think he’s a normal Ditto?”
“Listen here firecracker I-”
“Korrina what are you yelling about?” An old voice shouted from above. “Who are you- Oh. I see. No one move, I will be right down,” Some fluttering noises and a brown shape descended above with a rainbow trail. When the man landed Fenice saw it was a Pidgeot, with a Key and Mega stone around his neck. “I’ve been waiting for you, Freak.”
“Huh, second time, someone actually addressing me as me,” Freak sounded actually touched. “Who’re you though?”
“Call me Guru.”
“Grandpa-” Korinna tried to cut in, but got waved aside.
“Not now, adults are talking,” Freak quipped at her. “Also why wait for me? Generally people avoid.”
“Because I wanted to see if you could provide me an answer,” Guru pulled out a small box and tossed it to Freak. “Diantha called me and said that I should give you this. I wasn’t sure why, and I’m fairly certain I heard Lysandre saying something while she was on the call, but I would like to think our Champion knows what she’s doing. And she seems to have faith that Elly would be able to keep things in check.”
“Diantha....” Korrina whispered in astonishment while Elly’s feathers bristled and she blushed a bit. Freak opened the case and pulled out a Key and Mega stone of his own.
“Neat,” He took his right hand glove off and held his hand out flat as the back of it popped open to show a slot for the Key stone to sit. He put it in, closed his hand up, and took a look at the Mega stone.
“I was told to pick any,” Guru chuckled. “I asked if I should go with Absolite but Dianta said that wouldn’t look very good. So I gave you one that even I don’t know.”
“Aerodactylite,” Freak and Fenice said at the same time. He memorized everything about Pokemon, and they had a Mega obsession phase as a child like many others, so both knew what the stone was at a glance.
“It’s a Rock/Flying type which gets Touch Claws as a Mega,” Fenice picked up.
“Mega base states are 80/135/85/70/95/150,” Freak completed. “Really nice pick, Guru.”
“.... Well that certainly solved itself,” Guru managed to get out. “But how do you plan on making it work?”
“Oh, that’s easy. Elly if you would be so kind,” Elly nodded and flicked the power glove on.
“Only one, ok?”
“ARE WE REALLY DOING THIS?!” Korrina screamed. “This guy?! This guy gets Mega Evolution?! What the actual fu-”
“Korrina!” Elly shouted at her. “Just watch, ok?”
“Moving along,” Freak closed his fist around the stone and started to glow. A shell of light encased him and Fenice shielded their eyes. When the shell broke a wave of energy burst forth and Fenice looked at Freak, now changed. He had wings, scaly with leathery membrane, and rocks poking out of them and a newly grown tail. He also had horns made of rock on his head, but not on his chin like the diagrams of Mega Aerodactyl Fenice had seen. Freak took a minute to get adjusted to his new parts, flapping his wings and achieving lift off easily. “Been a while since I’ve done one of these, Fenice you should see Manetric, it’s basically Super Saiyan 3, it’s great.”
“I know I should know better but I’m still gonna ask,” Elly crossed her arms, no finger hovering over the power glove’s controls. “How does that work?”
“Is that really the question here?!” Korrina was really insistent on being heard.
“It is the one I am accepting,” Freak’s mask put on glasses. “So Mega Evolution carries intense power; Glalie used to dislocate their jaws because of it. And due to the way that the power is accessed, I can’t mimic it directly, I do need the stone which contains its own energy. It meshes with mine and I end up like this.”
“Hmph. You’re putting me to shame here,” Guru said. “But I don’t think I could’ve ever anticipated you.”
“No one ever does,” Freak deactivated the transformation, the new parts glowing and vanishing in bursts of light. “Anyway I’ve done what I wanted, and I’m not welcome here, so I bid you adieu,” He bowed and walked out of the building. Fenice followed, not wanting to see Korrina’s fallout, and wanting to ask a bit more about how Freak’s Mega Evolutions work.
They had a lot to write about.

Data Log

I am uncertain whether or not I want to try to prevent what will happen next on Freak’s route.
He will pass by the Tower of Mastery, if he hasn’t already, and the traditions of that place remain.
Granted, it’s because I reintroduced those traditions, but Freak with that power....
It’s equal parts terrifying and fascinating.
All I really need is time and him taking a sidetrack of any kind gives me that.
And once I learn what power he obtains it’s only a matter of figuring out a workaround and with my Status that’ll be as simple as pressing a button.

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
I love Elly's horrified realization that she actually semi-trusts Freak. Also Manectric being Super Saiyan is an awesome comparison and I completely agree.

Leon Yorunaki

I'll Spirit Shackle you!
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Ghost
I've heard XY are quite easy to nuzlocke (I never bothered ro rank it, I suck at planning) and randomizer is likely to give you better stuff early on, but I never expected fights to be THIS anti-climatic. ohko's down the board?
To be fair, you put up some great explanation of why it happens story-wise. makes sense to be scared of Freak.
And now he has Mega Aerodactyl to his arsenal, I'm the one scared.
(seriously, who tf is Freak and why he's so funny?)

QuietGuardian

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ground
I'd fallen behind, but I just caught up and had a pretty fun time doing so. Freak is still amusing, and I like the bits of his backstory you've thrown in with Fenice and A, connecting him to 3000 years ago. No wonder he's so chaotic; living alone for so long would eat away at anyone's sanity.

So now I guess the main mystery is who exactly Wilhelm is and what his connection is to the events of both the past and the present…

Users who are viewing this thread