• Drumroll please... The results for the 2020 Nuzforums Extravaganza are up! Congrats to all our participants and our winners this year for the 10th anniversary! #HappyNuzYear
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Nuzlocke Ruleset General How do you incorporate the capture and death rules into your challenge story?

Thread Description
A discussion thread to encourage swapping of creative ideas regarding baking the rules into a story

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
For any story I have, Nuzlocke causes death from Pokémon if they faint, however, this doesn't affect the catching of one pokémon per route, this is mostly because of wildlife conservation and that most Pokémon avoid trainers all together, so trainers may only find a few Pokémon they can catch.
How the Nuzlocke disease works is because the overexposure to energy or nuclear attacks the hit the Pokémon's "fainting system"
The fainting system is a fail-safe, if the Pokémon loses a lot of energy, they will make themselves go unconscious to save energy for vital systems, the nuzlocke disease destroys this system, meaning a Pokémon will likely die from too much loss of energy, blood, yada yada.

SnackyTheSylph

a weapon to surpass metal gear
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 28, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ground
Pokédex Entry
I SWALLOW SLUDGE TO TRANSFORM MYSELF
I just didn't incorporate the catch rule into my run's world at all. Trainers just don't tend to catch Pokemon they aren't going to use/care for. The exceptions would be Pokedex holders and collectors, of course...but in my protag's (Amelia's) case, she hasn't caught multiple things on the same route by coincidence. She hasn't caught anything beyond her initial five, because she doesn't need to. I don't find integrating the catch rule to be all that important to a Nuzlocke story, unless it's relevant to your world-building.

Speaking of which, it's not relevant to my worldbuilding because Pokemon dying in battle is actually very uncommon. Pokemon battles are more like laser tag than paintball or an actual gunfight, to use an analogy. It's only a point of concern for Amelia because of her specific circumstances. Basically due to Legendary shenanigans, it's a lot easier for her Pokemon to exhaust themselves or get real injuries during battles.

Dschubba

Has forgotten she's a diurnal creature.
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 13, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Female
Pokémon Type
Bug, Normal
Yeah, I'm pretty much chiming in with the whole "not really at all" side of things here.

When it comes to the capture rule, I find that attempts toa explain it in detail and in the story proper just have a high risk of falling face-first into that dreaded AS YOU KNOW...type exposition. If the protagonist of the comic is someone who's grown up in that world, is aware of the workings of the region and doesn't need to be tutorialised as the games insist on doing, that's when it's easy to kind of snap that immersion rubber band and have it feel like it's exposition for the sake of the audience and the audience alone.

I just, without going into it at all, go with the fact that, well, pokémon are surely some high-maintenance companions, so it'd make little sense for any trainer to just go and catch a miniature zoo on each route, it's just not viable. As for why it's the first? Handwave and just have mon one make a strong impression.

As for why pokémon die, I mean, as much as the games don't treat even the most brutal sounding and looking moves (throat chop, OW) as potentially lethal, mons are still powerful, basically magic animals. So , to me it just follows that accidents and thus deaths can and will happen if something goes awry or a mon simply doesn't know its own strength. Of course, these comics by their nature will often show the protagonist having to deal with more deaths, but...well, that's just a matter of POV focus. And rotten, rotten luck sometimes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)