• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Feature team invited you to check out the Hidden Gem Showcase! Give a little love to your favorite runs you think more people should know about!
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Hidden Gems Showcase -- Day Two: Self Promotions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flop disc

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. Poison
This is Day Two of the Hidden Gems Showcase, the event that Feature Team has been making noise about recently!

Our unofficial long weekend of love will continue as follows:
  • Day One: Hidden Gem Promotions
  • Day Two: Hidden Gem Self-Promotions (you are here!)
  • Day Three: Fanwork Sunday
  • Day Four: Free-for-all posting, Closing Survey
Each of the threads will be locked after their respective day and reopened on the event's final day.

If you posted in yesterday's thread, this space today is all about you! The Feature Team invites you to post about your own hidden gem of a thread, in any way that you feel comfortable doing. 💖

For those not in the loop -- as with yesterday, we ran an advance submissions period prior to the event. Self-promotional content that came in with matching promotional content (or, put simply, somebody who sent in something about another person's thread in addition to their own) was promised pride of place in the thread's first post, which will occur shortly!

Before that, we'd like to go over the eligibility guidelines quickly again to keep things running smoothly:
  • Any run that received a GOLD or SILVER medal in 2019 or 2020’s Extravaganza may not take part in the Hidden Gems Showcase
  • Runs whose highest placements were either a bronze medal or honourable mention are welcome to take part!
  • We’ve prepared a list of runs that meet this criteria and will be unable to participate in the Hidden Gems Showcase, viewable here
    • This list is gold and silver medalists across all categories and mediums. There will be some redundancy there, but we felt this was the best way to communicate the list for clarity and for time!
  • ALL runs/projects that are not covered in the Extravaganza (eg. art threads, blogs, other creative projects) are welcome as part of the event!
  • You will only be able to post in the Hidden Gem Self-Promotions thread if you’ve posted in the Hidden Gem Promotions thread.
As we've mentioned, the aim of these guidelines is to both ensure that we're meeting the community desire for an event focused around underrated projects and other hidden gems, and to help ensure that there's even engagement across both of the event's major threads. Posts in the thread that do not meet the above guidelines will be edited, and we'll be in touch about what you'd like to do with the post: whether that's adding a different promo in its place, or removing the post altogether. Please don't stress if this happens! It isn't a disciplinary measure by any means -- just a quick troubleshoot to keep things rolling.

If you missed out posting yesterday and would like to take part in this thread, both the Promotions and Self-Promotions thrad will be open again on the last day of the Hidden Gems Showcase. So don't worry, you haven't missed the boat yet!

If you pick up a new run that you love -- reach out to a member of the Feature Team and put it forward as a candidate for one of our monthly features!

Also! It was genuinely wonderful to see the turnout yesterday. I'm so pleased that everybody who took part had fun! You guys are all amazing. I know that the praise sounds hyperbolic, maybe a little generic -- but it was just really, really good stuff. I'm always in awe of what our little corner of the broader nuzlocke community can do when we pull together. 💗

Flop disc

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. Poison
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hidden Gems Showcase 2021: Self-Promotions

Wanted! - A Pokémon Colosseum Nuzlocke by @YumeTsuki
Medium: Comic

@YumeTsuki: As you may have gathered from the title, Wanted! is a Pokémon Colosseum Nuzlocke comic series by yours truly. Following the loose cannon Yume, an ex-snagem grunt and wanted criminal, who is on a journey with a stolen portable Snag Machine with which she can steal pokémon from trainers during battle. Though she unexpectedly gets caught up in troubles she wants to be no part of, but ends up being dragged into them anyway...

Can't Look Back by @KitkatKK2
Medium: Storylocke

@Flop disc: "The author got straight to the point with their promotion, and sent us in the run's prologue! As you'll see when you pop open the spoiler tag, Can't Look Back is an energetic hybrid between a character's journal and a written log. Its approachable style invites us in and treats us to an affectionate poke at the tropes of both pokemon games and nuzlockes themselves. Each chapter is bite-sized, making for breezy, fun reads!"

Ah, the wonders of modern technology. With video recording, I can watch a match that took place across the region in Wyndon last week. As I was doing that, my friend Hop walked into the room. Ya hear that? Friend. Not love interest, not clingy annoying neighbor, FRIEND. Anyway, he came in, and started watching over my shoulder.
“Is that your flashy new phone, Kay?”
“Yeah.”
“Cmon, you know the only real way to cheer on Leon is with his Charizard pose!”
“Speaking of Leon, wasn’t he coming here today?
“Oh, yeah! That’s why I came! Grab your bag, and let’s go to my house to see if he’s there!” Hop walked away.
I did as Hop asked, and grabbed my mom’s old bag, with the hat sitting next to it for good measure. Of course, instead of walking ahead of me, Hop was waiting outside. “You could’ve gone ahead,” I said.
“Nah!”
We walked together to Hop’s house. His mom was in the kitchen, where she looked to be cooking something for the family to eat when Leon got there. “Oh hello Kay! Leon isn’t here yet. He would’ve just arrived at Wedgehurst Station.”
I ran out ahead of Hop. I was already on Route One by the time he caught up.
“Don’t go in the tall grass! You don’t have a Pokémon!”
“Ok, ok. I won’t!” I wholeheartedly intended to go in the grass when Hop wasn’t looking. I made sure Hop wasn’t looking at me, then slowly backed into the grass.
Somehow, Hop saw me and yelled “No going into the tall grass for you without a Pokémon!”
I decided to gloss over that, and crossed the border into Wedgehurst.
Lo and behold, there was Leon. He was talking to a crowd. Something about getting strong and challenging him to the Champion title. Hop called him over.
“Oh, my number one fan has come to pick me up!” he said loudly. After coming over, he continued “And this must be Kay! Hop has told me all about you!”
“Yeah.” I smiled.
“Anyway,” Leon said, “I brought a gift for you two. Come to our backyard and I’ll show it to you.”
As one might expect, we ran back to Hop’s house as fast as our legs allowed. Leon took some time to catch up.
“Okay, spill it,” Hop said excitedly. “What did you get us?”
Leon smiled. “Ok,ok! The gift I got you is...”

Adventures in Naljo by @Kit_The_Feef
Medium: Comic

@Kit_The_Feef: "I actually dislike promoting my own work, because I don’t think it’s particularly good, (thanks, imposter syndrome) but I’ll promote it because I worked really hard on it, and Prism’s story deserves to be told by my imperfect hands."

That's all for the self-promotions we received in advance. Thank you so much for sending them in! The thread is now open for posting, and I'm looking forward to what we see today as well! 💖

faerieconstellations

🌻🌻🌻
Artist
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 14, 2021
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
she/ her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Hello! i'm really excited to share my comic with you guys <3

A HOME FOR THE BROKEN is still very much a newborn child (only 2 pages out, and the second page just came out yesterday aaaa) but it would mean the world to me if you guys checked it out! This comic is truly a labor of love, something I’ve been wanting to do since I was 14 (and I’m in my 20s now lmao). It started out as a storylocke on the old forums, but I didn’t really get far with it because I’ve always envisioned it as a comic—and now it finally is!

If you guys are interested in walking with our protagonist, Twyla, and her lovely Eevee companion, Raymond, on their journey across Unova towards wherever home may be—or whatever home might feel like—please consider given AHB a shot!

deobcqc-7808d401-23c0-45c1-8815-9881631c3a49.png

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Both of my runs are eligible, so… here we go!

Brotherhood is a Pokemon White 2 storylocke focalized through the point of view of 14-year-old Paul Stenberg. (Yes, that Paul.) Exploring themes of family and combining the aesthetics of Norse mythology and the worldwide classic genre of revolution against tyranny, Brotherhood puts readers at the nexus of multiple Ragnaröks.

Paper Bowser and the Thousand-Year Grind (TTYG) marries the strategy of the lorelocke with the humor of the Paper Mario series. Check it out if you’re interested in analysis of lorerules—and throwing that analysis out in favor of blatant favoritism!

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid

Questionable Influence is what happens when someone makes a joke, thinks of the logistics of it for way too long then makes a nuzlocke comic out of it. It is a character focused dramedy about a band of petty thieves goofing off and growing as friends as they travel across the Galar region. Among these thieves are an aggressive gluttonous Skwovet, a cosplaying wannabe villain and a delusional clearly human who claims she is a hybrid with a backstory that just doesn't quite add up. Though the entire team is not as on board with their villainy as they first thought. Despite the seemingly comical nature of the comic 3/4th of the main characters have dark backstories. While most of their backstories and darkness of the comic hasn't shown up yet, it is just waiting under the surface and has lasting effects on the characters. This comic avoids much of the original game's plot, so if your looking for something different and character focused give Questionable Influence a try.​

satanicswirlix

Nuzlockes remind me that I don't have friends
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
B̵͎͗e̶͊ͅh̶̩̒ì̸̪n̵̼͐d̸̥̚ ̷̀ͅy̷͎̓o̷͚̊u̶̗̕.̶̻̒
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
it's pronouns-ed "STEEL-ix"
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Fairy
  3. Ghost
  4. Poison
  5. Cute
  6. ???
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon fails at life. When she isn't seen animating 2D breasts for her nuzlocke, she often watches anime, or sucks at video games on Twitch.

Sinners of Sinnoh is a look into the human psyche, and what it truly means to be determined. I say this because the author is a lazy fuck who's notorious for cancelling nuzlocke comics that she thought were "really cool ideas" at like midnight. A year passes, and the first episode is nearly done (Dude, trust me). Anyway, Sinners of Sinnoh takes all these scrapped, "really cool ideas" and combines it into one big, animated adventure, complete with voice acting! If you're a fan of classic anime tropes, amusing character interactions, experimental art, slow-burn romance, Rival Silver, cute girls fist fighting SATAN, then why not check out the thread?

DistortionLocke

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Anxious, sweet-toothed writer who hides amongst the papers. Only attacks when provoked.
qPMKfBn.jpg

She's a Junza after the Championship title; he's a Joi determined to break into the world of Coordinating. Together, they fight crime travel the region to pursue their dreams!

Infinite Land, Endless Seas: An ORAS Dual Nuzlocke

Not even remotely interested in the family legacy of law enforcement, Waverly Junza flees to Hoenn to become its next champion. Motivated by his idol, Landon Joi decides to take the coordinating world by storm. Along for the ride are Skye Soramachi, a jolly yet sheltered young woman eager to explore the world and discover the source of her weird powers; Lucian Ichikawa, a Top Coordinator eager to 'regain' his title as Prince of Hoenn; and Violet Makani, Lucian's best friend and the famous Top Coordinator known as 'The Flower of Alola'.

But Alluvia-Oasis, a mysterious organization formed by the remnants of the eliminated House Groudon and House Kyogre, will stop at nothing to reawaken their gods and reclaim the region that was stolen from them, even if it means taking down some (unwittingly) meddling kids. Can our plucky quintet defeat these vengeful demigods? Or is the world doomed to fall to the might of flames and waves?

He just wanted to play a freaking game; he didn't ask for any of this 'isekai' business...

Changeling Rival's Contingency Planning System

After being crushed to death by a chandelier, Jaime finds himself in the world of his most hated game: Pokémon Sword. And if that didn't suck enough, he's stuck there in the body of Bede, the first rival in the franchise to die, thanks to the mysterious 'System', who orders him to rewrite the story. But in a world that's both familiar and unfamiliar, can he survive the System's whims, the Gym Challenge, Chairman Rose's schemes, entitled royals, and Eternatus? Or will he face the same shitty fate as the original? Inspired by Scum Villain's Self-Saving System by Mòxiāng Tóngxiù.

TheTRUEgge

three of them?? this has gotten out of hand!
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
All of my runs are eligible so let’s get going!

Fossil Fighters But it’s a Nuzlocke details Benji’s journey through one of my favorite childhood games. It’s got everything you could possibly want: Dinosaurs, zany plot, groan-worthy pun names… it’s a great ride! There are also… far too many deaths. I don’t remember fossil fighters being this hard.

Sunlocke is my Pokémon Sun Nuzlocke comic and baby. It follows Ann, a human who woke up in another world one day and has just sorta been rolling with it. I’ve been working on it for 4 years and it’s got plenty of great kids! Fall in love with Grasshopper the same way I have..

The World Torn Asunder is a collaborative written log between myself and @novamallow , detailing the tales of Amelia and Bailey, who were separated when the world was split in two. They’re working to mend the world’s tear and reunite. It’s a soul link Nuzlocke, and we have a lot of fun writing it!

GECKO

Lizards.
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 20, 2020
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Dragon
Pokédex Entry
An awkward lil reptile who is just trying her best.
soul_brothers_comic_cover__new__by_gecko_nuzlockes_deboa8a-pre.jpg

Soul Brothers is a Soul Silver Nuzlocke comic following brothers Corey and Ty Lyons as they pursue their dream of beating the Johto League together! It isn't all fun and games though, as the team slowly becomes entangled in a looming, ever-growing threat over the whole region...

Soul Brothers has themes of family, found family, friendship, grief, and more! With a cast of diverse personalities, this comic is a solid mix of light-hearted fun and emotional dilemmas and tension. It takes place in a Pokémon universe in which Pokémon are very integrated into human society, able to be employed and live in cities and, in rare cases such as Ty's, be adopted into human families!

Thank you to any new readers who check it out from here! Please enjoy ^_^

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
Oh, I totally forgot that this run exists:

Join me as I play through this absurd hack and slowly lose touch with reality! Complete with tonnes of swearing and corpse-looting shenanigans!

Alex_Nidas

I'm lazy and I'm proud
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
Sightings of them in the wild are rare, as they prefer to stay indoors with their art tablet and little siblings.
Signature_1.png

The Long Way is an ongoing trek through numerous regions as Leo, an average layabout 20-something, finds himself in the world he would always play in as a kid: and finding that he hates being here.

While it may sound like more of a normal, almost isekai premise from that introduction, The Long Way is entrenched in the mystery of why Leo is even here, the emotions of what it means to keep going even in the face of death, and the brief bits of light before the other shoe drops.

This run is not for the faint of heart, as, when it's appropriate, I do not shy away from the brutality of battles and the more mature subjects that normally come up when there's several attempted murders and feelings of betrayal. So if a slow burn introspection into what constant journeying and battles does to a person sounds like your cup of tea, then buckle up: because we've got a long way to go.

A-K-TheLittleFairy

Kanto League Champion
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
Tired or inspired. Loves Cappuccino.
(Does it sound weird to self promote the own runs that are on hiatus since almost 2 years??) My Nuzlocke Comics may be still on hiatus but due getting the hang of switching from traditional to digital art due getting myself a new Drawing Tablet with a screen this May for my Birthday I plan to continue both my Nuzlocke Comics later this year because I really want to have at least a chance to get close to my goal of creating a four-part Nuzlocke comic series consisting of my current Alpha Sapphire and my Pearl Nuzlocke as well as creating comics of my Shield and of my Ultra Sun Nuzlocke Stories!

Here we go:

Dawn of the Absol: An Alpha Sapphire Nuzlocke follows the journey of Scarlet Carter who originally is a Fairy from an original universe of mine in a shape of an island that currently is located in the world of Pokémon, being closest to the Hoenn region. She takes part in a project with four others where they travel through Hoenn to learn more about the world of Pokémon and their behavior around the Fairy species and what (positive) impact Faya's Fairies can have to Pokémon. Due her mental Powers Scarlet is able to understand Pokemon's thoughts and mentally communicate with them. She believes that thanks to this ability she easily can create bonds with her future teammates and contribute useful experiences towards the goal to create a long-lasting bond between her world and the world of Pokémon!

cover_title_by_a_kthelittlefairy-dbeutg3.jpg

My second Nuzlocke comic is Speechless! A (silent?) Pearl Sketchlocke that follow the story of Martine Candela Watanabe back in the year of 2007 as she turned 16 years old whose biggest dream back then was becoming a famous costume designer for celebrities of Pokémon Contests and also becoming a skilled trainer.
I actually aimed back then in 2019 to finish this sketchlocke in approx. 1-2 years but well... that was before this goddamn Pandemic swept all my art motivation away ...til this May as my art block slowly was thankfully lifting!

speechless__a__silent__pearl_sketchlocke_by_a_kthelittlefairy_dd2cf36-pre.jpg

Uberle

Lur King
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
Stays in the distortion dimension where no one bothers him
Oh right shameless self plug time

So got two ongoing runs that I'd like to point you to now

I Can Break These Cuffs, a Gijinka run of Y
So this run follows three characters
Freak: A Being mistaken for a Ditto due to his power to mimic others and also under arrest for murder. Through the power of bureaucracy he managed to keep his place in the League's gym challenge, though he now wears cuffs that restrain his power drastically.
Elly: A Togekiss Gijinka, normally a gym monitor, now she's been given the task of escorting Freak through the region. She must keep him in line which is a bit difficult as Freak makes no effort to persuade anyone into thinking he may be innocent. As events unfold and she finds herself learning secrets about the world and the origin of her species.
Fenice: A human who now had become a Moltres Gijinka. They wake up after a three thousand year slumber and quickly meet Freak and Elly and provide a hint to what happened so long ago and who was behind it.
???: Each chapter ends with a text log from a mysterious Being, detailing the events of his days. He is the one who erased all life 3000 years ago. And he's getting ready to do it again.

Greens, Eggs, and Ham a zombie run of Fire Red
Kanto has been overrun by a plague
Parasitic mushrooms take root in Pokemon and turn them into undead that attack people
By this point only Pallet Town and a few other places are strongholds for humans and the few uninfected Pokemon left
But it's possible that the League can be opened and used as a safe haven, however the front door is locked and the only way to get it open is to get all eight badges
Asclepius is a Being whose power allows him to heal from any injury almost instantly and has taken it upon himself to gain access to the League and save Kanto
Assuming any of it is still around when he's done
Also there seems to be a human infected running around
Wonder what that's about....

lineonthepaper

eon
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
they/them!!
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
Probably one of the dumbest yet luckiest Pokemon. Is terrible at socialising, yet has friends anyway.
Hello! This is a run that I've started with my friend @lucas2 recently, and I'm happy to share it with you all!

5p_ilF-Duyo6qcaGJ_C8ZXSXobBroo3SC9D-2ezAnCFM7EXMvnozz86ZjlQp5hrz3hrJcPAm4aFRIukfVLYHMTSPIL-uvKfSLhifF8-5eLmBv9Hi8AEbKyWKhyE56I9t__uWspKf

You Can Now Play As Luigi
(there'll be two banners, one for each of us, but I'm tired and don't have time to finish the second one right now)
It's a soul link between the two of us, with different additional rules for each of us! It's ALSO an artlocke! As such, we'll be drawing new additions to the team, evolutions, and much more! Including stuff like funny interactions and things that don't actually happen in-game but happen in-universe!

Sol (my Trainer, on the right in the banner) and Luna (Lucas's Trainer, on the left in the banner) have very different personalities and Pokemon. But they do share some things in common... They're connected, yet apart. It's not something they know, though!

We're so excited to show you more! Thank you for your time!

crashcrashcrash

More like trashtrashtrash, amiright
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 11, 2021
Nature
Brave
Pokémon Type
  1. Fighting
  2. Flying
Well, I DID just have this featured in the NNRR so this does feel a tad redundant but...... I do have a hidden gem of my own, so let’s go.

Yo!

You into Nuzlockes with unique, totally impractical rulesets? How about ones with multiple protagonists? Who are both disabled? Ever wonder what it would look like if Twitch Plays Pokémon attempted a Nuzlocke? Well, this isn’t exactly that last thing, but it’s as close as I could come up with!

Nothing to See Here is my baby, and after nearly a year of writing, I’m absolutely psyched to put it out into the world.

Basically, my brother and I played a Nuzlocke together where he couldn’t see the screen, and I couldn’t touch the controls. Queeje (name courtesy of him) is a blind boy with his sights heart set on the Championship, and Twitch (that’s me lol) is the Rotom guiding him through the Galar wilderness, a playlist full of only left turns, an army of nonsensical nicknames, accidental bike theft, slightly altered rivals, and as far away from giant spooky forest doggos as it possibly can. Oh, and the Rotom has some, er, problems of its own that constantly threaten to rear their gliiit%&%////tchy heads. So! ...Maybe there’s actually lots to see here.

Anyway I’d be honored if you gave it a read. ^^

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread