• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Feature team invited you to check out the Hidden Gem Showcase! Give a little love to your favorite runs you think more people should know about!
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Announcement Hidden Gems Showcase 2021!

Flop disc

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. Poison
For our promised summer event this year, we’re getting out of the heat and spelunking through the community to find some hidden gems!

Translated out of pure hypespeak, that means we’re running a four-day event at the end of July (July 30th-August 2nd, US Eastern Time [-5 GMT]) themed around uncovering and polishing some hidden gems in the community. Something like this has been a long time coming and it gives me genuine pleasure to spearhead it as part of the Feature Team. 💖

For this event, we’re looking for plenty of community input, and will be taking part ourselves -- both as Featurers and as members of this community. The first three days will each have their own purpose, and the fourth will be devoted to wrapping things up and looking to the future.

Specifically, it will be structured as follows:
  • July 30th: Hidden Gem Promotions
    • We’ve all got that run we wish more people knew about. This is the thread to make that happen! This thread will be set aside to post any sort of promotional content you can think of for someone else’s run or creative project that you’re interested in bringing to light. These can be short, sharp, Extravaganza-style promos, more longform Feature-like content, or anything else that you think would help get the word out!
      • After the event concludes, you’re also more than welcome to repost your promotions in the Feature a Fan Run! thread.
    • If you submit a promotion in advance (see below), we will give it pride of place in the thread’s first post, and may also promote it further prior to the day!
  • July 31st: Hidden Gem Self-Promotions
    • You might have some hidden gems of your own. Don’t be shy about posting them! This thread will run identically to the Hidden Gem Promotions thread, with one caveat: in order to post, you will need to have first promoted someone else’s work in the previous thread.
    • If you submit a self-promotion in advance (see below), we will give it pride of place in the thread’s first post, and may also promote it further prior to the day! As above, this is contingent on us also receiving your promo of another run or project.
  • August 1st: Fanwork Sunday
    • The show to a promo’s tell, so to speak. We’re opening a special one-off edition of the old Fanwork Friday threads! We encourage you to post any fanwork, old or new, for runs or projects that meet our eligibility criteria for Hidden Gems.
  • August 2nd: Thread Overflow and Closing Survey
    • On this last day, all threads will remain open for one final day before being locked! The Feature Team will likely get a bit sappy at this juncture. There might even be a little closing speech!
    • We’d also like to run a short survey both to get feedback on this event and to hear your thoughts on a couple of potential future Feature Team Events! We’ll put forward two to four event ideas at this time to gauge community interest in which to run next. If there’s something you’d like to see us do, this is also a great time to let the team know!

It’s our hope that this becomes something of an annual event in tandem with the Extravaganza itself. The plan at this stage will be to leave at least the promotional threads up until the Extravaganza approaches, so that the community has another reference point to look back on when in pursuit of something to read, watch, or generally be entertained by.

In order to adhere to the theme of Hidden Gems, we have some eligibility rules we’re imposing on content submitted for the event. We’ve designed these in response to a long-running desire in the community to have an event meaningfully different to the annual Extravaganzas:
  • Any run that received a GOLD or SILVER medal in 2019 or 2020’s Extravaganza may not take part in the Hidden Gems Showcase
  • Runs whose highest placements were either a bronze medal or honourable mention are welcome to take part!
  • We’ve prepared a list of runs that meet this criteria and will be unable to participate in the Hidden Gems Showcase, viewable here
    • This list is gold and silver medalists across all categories and mediums. There will be some redundancy there, but we felt this was the best way to communicate the list for clarity and for time. It’s based on the legwork put in this year by the much-missed @JavierE64
  • ALL runs/projects that are not covered in the Extravaganza (eg. art threads, blogs, other creative projects) are welcome as part of the event!
  • This was mentioned above, but for emphasis -- you will only be able to post in the Hidden Gem Self-Promotions thread if you’ve posted in the Hidden Gem Promotions thread. In other words, please get out there and spread the love first!

We’re announcing this now in order to give you all time to start looking for those hidden gems. It’ll be great to see turnout on the day, but we are also very keen to see some material in advance! As mentioned above, we’re keen to further promote any hidden gems that we can leading up to the event. We hope to make use of the scrolling forum announcements to do so, and may also dust off the Featurette format in the leadup!

If you’d like to make an advance submission, you can use this form to do so. The form will close at midnight (GMT -5) on July 28th! If you miss out, don’t worry! We’re looking at post-event opportunities to further promote the content we receive.

Feel free to post below if you have any questions or commentary in the run-up to this event! Like I said up the top, I'm really jazzed to be able to bring something like this to life, and really looking forward to what we can all make of it. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help you before or during the event to have a great time! 🎉

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
I just submitted a few promos anonymously. Was that how they were supposed to be done? I’m kinda shy, so I would like to remain anon in that regard.

Flop disc

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. Poison
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That’s perfect! We don’t mind whether the submissions are anonymous or not — but we wanted to leave the option open for anybody feeling shy or otherwise!

We're gearing up to start spreading the word on all of these submissions. 🎉 If you haven't had a cheeky peek at the form itself just yet, we take the username of the person submitting and then also ask if they'd like to post a promo anonymously. This way we can check on the backend that everything's flowing smoothly, and can get in touch with people to quickly resolve things if not.

Flop disc

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. Poison
Our first advance promo for the Hidden Gems Showcase 2021 is up! Check it out over in the Feature a Fan Run thread. 💖

Krisantyne

oh no
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 10, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon clings to Sharpedo and shares in its prosperity. When its Sharpedo is attacked, Krisantyne will fight alongside it!
puts on my silly question hat

Will you make sure that the people who get promo'd will see it?
You said that all the promos submitted in advance will be in the first post of the thread. During the Extravaganza nominations, some friends and I noticed that tag notifications stop working when too many users are tagged in one post. (We all got our tag notifications for ballots with just a few nominations and didn't get them for completely filled ballots with more than ~20 different users. The posts were not edited.)
Can you find out what the limit for tags in a post is, and split up the promos over multiple posts accordingly?

Flop disc

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. Poison
Yeah, no worries! It occurs to me that I was linking to profiles in lieu of tagging, which would achieve the same. I've only really cottoned onto that when coming to respond here and let everbody know that another promo. So, uh --

@feraligatr @KitkatKK2 if you guys haven't already, take a peek at the Feature a Fan Run thread!

As for one the day -- I'll follow your query up with the Tech Team on the backend, and get it sorted in time for the weekend! Thanks for letting us know.

Bug

👉😎👉
Administrator
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Cute
Pokédex Entry
oh fuck oh shit my dots...............................................................................................................................
You said that all the promos submitted in advance will be in the first post of the thread. During the Extravaganza nominations, some friends and I noticed that tag notifications stop working when too many users are tagged in one post. (We all got our tag notifications for ballots with just a few nominations and didn't get them for completely filled ballots with more than ~20 different users. The posts were not edited.)
Can you find out what the limit for tags in a post is, and split up the promos over multiple posts accordingly?
Hey, Kris!

I poked into this for you, and what you're running into here is the 'Maximum Mention Alerts' function on the Registered user role (the default role). Previously it was around ~5 users until it stopped sending out notifications, but I've upped it to 20 for now. It can be changed to go higher, but the limit is set in place to help prevent, essentially, spam tagging users (as bots are prone to do). Of course, edited posts will do their thing, but hopefully the extra~15 user cap should give plenty of wiggle room for everyday use.

There is no such limit for staff members currently, so anything tagged by Featurers is going to get sent out to notifications as usual, provided it's not edited in.

And of course, as always, plopping a link to the suggestion board. If this limit isn't gonna meet the needs of everyday use, or anyone sees a need for some special exceptions and/or stuff I can't think of now, we can get the discussion started and make the correct changes!

Krisantyne

oh no
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 10, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
she
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon clings to Sharpedo and shares in its prosperity. When its Sharpedo is attacked, Krisantyne will fight alongside it!
Ohhh thanks so much for the detailed insight, @Bug! I figured that this is a spam protection feature, but it's really good to hear that it can be configured to our needs and that staff members are already exempt. I will now rest easy about this event haha
Knowing the exact limit is really helpful for everyday use, and 20 seems like a solid number. The number needed for a full Extravaganza nominations ballot might be a bit a much even temporarily. :'D Thank you!!

Flop disc

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. Poison
I'm beyond pleased to announce that day one of the Hidden Gems Showcase 2021, our promotions day, is now open!

If you have any questions or comments about the thread, feel free to post here or to get in touch with a member of the feature team directly!

Flop disc

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. Poison
G'day!

If you weren't aware, the forums had a recent daylong outage thanks to a co-ordinated attack. The damage done meant that the best way forward was to restore the forums from a previous daily backup. The reason I'm mentioning this is because it has two big ramifications for the Hiddens Gems Showcase:
  1. The prolonged downtime has thrown the event's timing out of the window.
  2. Distressingly, the timing of the restore point means that we have also lost a chunk of the promotions thread, which is devastating.
Of course, we're also very lucky to have something to come back to, thanks to the diligent efforts of our forum staff. They contacted me about possibly retrieving some posts, and I in turn have asked if it is at all possible to restore the missing posts in the promos thread especially. This may not be feasible ask, so if it isn't something the staff can do, I will set aside a space for those with missing promo posts to re-upload them in their own time. The most likely implementation of this will be me leaving a placeholder post in the thread, and receiving missing promos via forum DM and editing them in as I get them. The downside of this is that I don't believe the tagging system will correctly alert users to new activity in the post -- so you'll have to let them know some other way! (If you're shy or unsure, let me know, and I'll happily message people on your behalf. 💪)

What I would really appreciate you guys weighing in on is the event's adjusted timing.

I'm dealing with two competing impulses -- to immediately resume the event, or to reschedule the remainder to a weekend later in the month. Which weekend is something I'd love to hear back about! I am extremely reluctant to move to next weekend, as we will be releasing our new screenshot run feature then, and it deserves its spotlight (I won't spoil what it is exactly, but I will say that the run has appeared already during the Hidden Gems Showcase!). Not only that, but The Writer's Locke will also be making its return on the 6th! TWL is not affiliated with the feature team but it is something that I put a lot of time into personally, which affects my availability.

Also, it's not hard and fast that it needs to resume on a weekend. My thinking in shceduling it initially was to structure it around a weekend to maximise everybody's likely availability, but if there is enough enthusiasm we can resume very soon!

For the record, as I mentioned on discord, we'll be restarting the Hidden Gems Showcase from the beginning of the truncated self-promotions day. I have also been thinking over extending the final phase of the event from a 24h one to a 48h to help further compensate for missed time. Is that something that you guys are interested in, or do you think that the final phase would linger a little too long?

In summary, I'd really love to hear your opinions on when the Hidden Gems Showcase should resume:
  • The weekend beginning the 14th?
  • The weekend beginning the 28th?
  • Immediately (~24-48 hours from now)
  • Also, are you interested in extending day four (all threads open, exit survey open) from 24 hours to 48 hours?
Please get in touch to share your thoughts in this thread, or via forum PM or discord DM (I can be reached at Flopdisc#3823, but if we don't share a mutual server, you will need to send a friend request first)! I'd like to get a clear idea on how the community is leaning before I proceed, and I am allowing the next 24 hours in order for this to emerge.

Thank you all for making the Hidden Gems Showcase as wonderful as it has been so far. I'm really lookinf forward to us al getting back to it ASAP! 💖

pinkshellos

Black Lives Matter !!
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Dec 23, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Flying
Pokédex Entry
A timid Pokémon typically found in groups. The only thing that motivates her more than companionship is food.
Resuming the event on a different weekend sounds like the best option to be personally — either weekend sounds good but the 14th sounds like the sweet spot of “enough time for the forum to get back on its feet a bit more but not too long” to me personally. Also, as for extending the final phase to 48 hours, I don’t see why not!

Kit_The_Feef

Someone who draws too much
Artist
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2021
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Fairy
  3. Steel
Pokédex Entry
Comic artist. Idiot. Has far too many active projects for his own sanity. Unreliable when it comes to updates on his non-comic endeavours.
I agree with Pinkshellos, the 14th sounds fine!

Flop disc

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. Poison
I did a little canvassing on discord as well, and the consensus came down on the side of the 14th! I'll be back then to reopen things. Excited to get unwarway again! 🎉

Flop disc

Johto League Champion
🌱Featurer
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. Poison
The final day of the Hidden Gems Showcase is now live! Thank you so much for turning out and making this such a wonderful time!

Waweezer

Conqueror of the Olivine Gym
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 22, 2020
Pokémon Type
  1. Ground
  2. Ice
Pokédex Entry
This pokemon is known to make weird comics at random, no one really knows why.
I finally got my art done!

acottonpresent
for ACottontail's Questionable Influence

vizardpresent
for vizarding's Godless Lands

Users who are viewing this thread