• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Nuzlocke Have you ever boxed a non dead starter?

PageEmperor

I can’t do money puns. It just won’t make cents.
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
A person who does both comics and runs and whatnot. Okay then.
What the thread title says. Won’t give my examples for now though since I’m tired, but given basically, have you ever boxed the first mon you recieved in your nuzrun even though it was alive and well?

Mr Spaz

I caught the big– OH SHIT
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him/It
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying, Ghost
Pokemon Platinum. Look at my Monolocke list. I haven't done a type that'll let me use my starter in any capacity beyond HM Slave

TheTRUEgge

three of them?? this has gotten out of hand!
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
White 2 Challenge mode. Starter was Samurott and I had captured a Jellicent with a good nature and, more importantly, the ability to be EV trained. Ended up going deathless so it did end up being a good call.

raikaria

Conqueror of the Viridian Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Black/White.

The starters really aren't good to start with; and it dsen't help that Petilil basically renders Snivy useless in-game; and Darumaka is usually an upgrade on Tepig. Snivy is arguably worse as an in-game starter than Chikorita, if Jhoto didn't want to murder Chikorita at every turn.

Oshawott isn't great either, but Unova's dex doesn't have much choice in Water-types.

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
In a Dreamlocke I had to replace my starter with a Dream World catch. Got an Igglybuff instead. Woo?

0 Anonymous

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
In any Gen V game boxing the starter is usually a given. There are better options for grass, water, fire types that have pretty good odds of being encountered and the starters themselves are often outshined early into the runs by the Lillipup line for the rest of the game. They're by far the most mediocre set.

In Gen 1 I've boxed starters before since they're nowhere near as good as some of the options you get early on. Basically every moon stone evo can win the game singlehandedly with a bit of TM support, and Tentacool is both guaranteed and utterly broken.

kururu

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
In Black 2, I once had a Tepig starter.

And then I got a Darumaka. And then I got a SHINY Darumaka as well. I decided to box my starter, because I had good fire coverage.

Neotornado

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Hacker
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
I need to buy a pro account? (He/Him)
Pokémon Type
Electric, Grass
Pokédex Entry
Broke his own romhack with an egg. Still not sure how.
My starters usually have a streak of either dying before gym 3 (5 in emerald specifically) or going to the Hof but there's been a few times I've boxed starters. One notable example is actually from touhoumon purple where I've started to box my starter in runs because faith-typed coverage is super good and super rare in the endgame. Not super required but it can make the E4 a bit more consistent. Outside of that I don't think I've ran into a scenario in vanilla pokemon where saving a starter for something was considered but I have a feeling it'll probably turn up again in the future.

RubyClaw

Challenge Seeker, Completionist and Rule Designer
🌱Featurer
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 9, 2019
Kanto Route 1, 1% encounter rate (Israel)
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Fire, Psychic
I did lots of no starter runs (mainly back in my early Nuzlocking days), had lots of fun. Makes you especially attached to those early game catches such as the early rodent and early bug who has a tendency to become my new pseudo starters.

Zard

Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 12, 2020
Nature
Bold
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Dark, Psychic
I will never play my favorite region (Unova) and not make every attempt possible to box my starter, no matter which I choose.

I also like to do runs where the starter is merely a rental for you to get your first real pokemon with, similar to how Wally borrows Zigzagoon to catch Ralts. I would say this is a great way to increase the difficulty for players who aren't yet comfortable with more difficult rulesets.

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
Honestly, only if there's a ruleset saying I can't use them such as having to wonder trade them away or a mono-type where I can't use them. I was so happy to box my Special Attack decreasing nature Sobble in my mono-Fighting run, fuck that cunt.

But yeah, for some reason I can't really bring myself to box them even though I've used most of them to death and taken all of them to the end except Primarina and Inteleon.

PageEmperor

I can’t do money puns. It just won’t make cents.
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
A person who does both comics and runs and whatnot. Okay then.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In my AlphaSaph nuzrun, shortly after my first death, I decided to box my Swampert in favour of a Rhyhorn I found in the Safari zone. No reason, other than I really wanted to try out that Rhyhorn and I already had a Water mon. It then became a tank of a Rhyperior, so I think I made a good descision.

LemonTea

Conqueror of the Cerulean Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 26, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pokémon Type
Grass, Water
Routinely! I often use the starter to grind my first catch to level 5 and then permabox it. It just feels a bit too convenient to get a 'mon with a three stage evolution, relatively good stats and an okay moveset right off the bat. Check your starter privilege, like.

Brendan Rizzo

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 5, 2021
The answer to this question is no... because I have never had a starter survive a run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)