• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Written Story Sinnoh Teen Gijinka Hands of Time

Thread Description
A Gijinka Partially Blind Run of Brilliant Diamond

SimplyUnknown

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
Hello and welcome to my newest run, based on my very first playthrough of Brilliant Diamond. For those of you who read my Building Up a Brilliant Run blog from a few months back, you probably have an idea of how this is going to go. Anyways, leave a like or a comment if you enjoyed reading, and let's get started!

1. I can only catch one Pokémon per route.
    1. Dupes Clause Activated
    2. Shiny Clause Activated
    3. Gift Clause Activated
  2. If a Pokémon faints, it is dead.
  3. Nickname everyone.
    1. Theme is Chinese names.
  4. I cannot use the Daycare.
  5. No trading.
Sidenote: I'll try to use a level limit so as not to get too overleveled for battles, but I can't guarantee I'll succeed.

Prologue: This Update
Chapter 1: Partnership

The small town of Zhensha Zhen was usually a quiet place. But that all changed on Market Day, when traders from the larger villages and cities of Sinnoh would drop by and hawk their wares at the native villagers. The items ranged from the practical of sturdy cloths and farm tools to the ornate pieces of jewelry that would usually go ignored. Rich scents of spiced meats and fresh baked goods filled the air as children darted ahead of their parents to examine the treasures of nearby stalls. It was, all in all, a perfect day.

Especially for a thief.

Tucked in one of the alleyways not too far from the main road, a Chimchar sat cross-legged atop some boxes. He lightly tossed a roll from hand to hand, watching the passersby intently. His pants would have been a vibrant orange if not for the dirt, tears, and patches that covered them. The jacket he wore over his bare chest was about the same, as well as just a bit too short for his lanky frame. Bright orange hair was pulled back into a high ponytail to keep it out of dark grey eyes. Finally deeming his roll cool enough, Jinu Houzi tore a chunk off and popped it into his mouth. He chewed for a few seconds before his eyes widened, shuddering before forcing himself to swallow.

Glancing down at the yellowish jam spilling from the center of the roll, Houzi gave a heavy sigh. "Aspear. Why is it always Aspear?" Resigned to his fate, he took another bite. Would it kill the merchants to put visible markings on their breads to show what flavors they were? It would make things so much easier for him to stroll by and nick a Cheri one. Or at least one that wasn't Aspear flavored!

But while his taste-buds rebelled against the natural sourness of the jam, his rumbling stomach eagerly accepted the offering. Even as Houzi devoured his late breakfast, he kept an eye on the shoppers. Most of them were easily written off. Some were too poor to have anything on them worth stealing. Others kept their purses tucked in a spot that Houzi wouldn't be able to snatch them without being caught. The people native to Zhensha Zhen were also ignored; they knew Houzi on sight and would be too wary. No, an outsider would be best in this case.

Just as Houzi relucatantly polished off the last of the roll, he spotted him. A Girafarig in rich white robes of silk, standing atop those ridiculous wooden shoes that kept his toes above the dirt and mud. His nose was high in the air, and a heavy bag of coin was dangling off his belt. Left side, almost completely behind him. Practically perfect. Smirking, Houzi wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and hopped off the crate. His bare feet dug into the still damp ground as he slipped into the crowd. The Chimchar was swiftly lost among the people bustling about, even as he maneuvered so he was trailing his target seamlessly.

When the Girafarig stopped to examine some of the delicate jade statuary that no one around here could afford to buy, that's when Houzi made his move. He slipped up behind the man and gave him a sharp shove on his right side. The wealthy man staggered, and Houzi quickly slipped over to his left. "Excuse you!?" the man yelled as he turned to his right, sending his purse swinging. A quick Scratch through the small strings, and the purse flew right into Houzi's outstretched palm. Grinning, the Chimchar casually strode away, slipping into another alcove to examine his prize.

His smile widened as the bag opened to reveal copper and silver coins. No gold, but that was fine with Houzi. Gold would have been far too noticable around these parts. But this would more than pay for the squalid little room he rented in the worst part of town, as well as plenty of food for at least three weeks! What a haul! "Not like a blowhard would miss this," he commented, plucking a silver out to examine it in the light.

"I didn't do it!" The Chimchar's ears perked up as he chanced a peak outside his hole. The Girafarig appeared to have caught on to the theft and had obviously found someone to blame. Held tight by the right arm was a young Kricketot boy, barefoot with clothes almost as ragged as Houzi's. "I didn't take your purse!"

"Liar!" The Girafarig backhanded the boy, sending him sprawling into the dirt. Two other kids helped him scramble back as the nearby guards noticed the noise. "Thief! Return my purse at once!"

"He didn't do it!" pleaded another Kricketot girl, probably his sister. "Xishuai wouldn't, I promise!"

Unmoved, the Girafarig sniffed before turning to the Roselia and Mothim guards who had hurried over. "Take this child away. Have them remove his arm, or whatever it is they do with thieves of this age."

Houzi glanced from the purse in his hand to the clearly terrified children and the resigned guards. Groaning, he looked up at the sky. "Really?" Using the worn down bricks as handholds, he scrambled atop the squat little house and snagged a rock. A quick toss to gauge the weight and then he flung it. It hit true, right into the back of the Girafarig's head. Yelping, the Normal/Psychic type whirled around angrily as the guards lifted their weapons. Houzi pressed two fingers to his lips and gave a loud whistle. "Looking for this?" he yelled, holding the purse up for all to see.

"Damnit, it's Jinu again!" Houzi heard one of the guards mutter as the Girafarig began sputtering below. The Chimchar just grinned, tossing the purse up before snagging it again.

"Maybe keep your eyes on your belongings better next time instead of going after innocent kids," Houzi taunted, smirking as the children quickly scattered and vanished. His job done, he quickly turned on one heel and started leaping from roof to roof.

But the guards had a new target now. "Get him! Cut him off before he reaches the forest!" the Roselia ordered as he began to give chase. The Mothim spread his wings and took to the sky, quickly joined by fellow flying members of the town guard. Houzi ignored them, more focused on not stepping through a hole in a roof as he flipped and swung from building to building. Visitors to the town watched in awe, some of them cheering the guards on. The people who lived here though just sighed and went about their business; this kind of chase happened about once a week here.

Despite his familiarity with rooftops, Houzi couldn't help but feel relieved as he made the shift to the trees. The thick summer foilage made for great cover, even with his orange coloring. As the guards started shouting about grid patterns and search parties, Houzi just sighed and picked his way through a long-familiar path. He was headed to the one place that the guards wouldn't dare to look.

With a hearty sigh, Houzi dropped down from the tree and into the Sheng Hu Zhenli. The lake was a sacred site for the nearby temple that served Gangtie Long Shen, the Steel Dragon God. Because of this, the people of Zhensha Zhen were forbidden to enter without permission from the temple, and that included the guards. Thankfully, it was also rare for the site to have visitors, which made it the perfect hideaway for Houzi when he needed to avoid the guards for a bit.

Wishing he'd thought to grab a few more rolls from the stand, the Chimchar settled into his usual resting spot beneath a large rowan tree. It was surrounded by thick bushes so he wouldn't be visible to people walking the path, especially if he laid down. With nothing to do until dusk, when he could sneak back home more easily, Houzi rolled the coin purse around and pondered a long nap.

"We shouldn't be here, Tian!" The sharp, angry voice made Houzi flinch and instinctively crouch down. Considering it was Market Day, he hadn't expected anyone to be here, especially now. Crawling forward on his stomach, he peeked through one of the small gaps in the brush. There were two people making their way up the path, one trailing behind the other. One was dressed in dark blue cloth with white and silver armor. In one hand was an ornate silver spear and the other held a silver helm, which would usually cover his short blue hair. A Piplup, and clearly one of the temple guards.

His companion glanced at him from over her shoulder. "The Sheng Hu Zhenli is open to all members of the temple who wish to sit and meditate in peace," she pointed out. "As a Dragon Bride, I have as much right to be here as anyone."

Houzi frowned, pressing his face against sticks and leaves as he tried to get a better look at the girl. While she was dressed in the silvery blue robes of a temple priestess, she wasn't like any other person he'd seen before. Her hair was long and flowing free down her back in a pale periwinkle. Houzi couldn't make out her eye color from this distance, but they looked almost as dark as his own. But the oddest thing was the pair of white fins that stuck out from the side of her head. What kind of Pokemon are you? Houzi thought as he watched the pair.

The Piplup scowled, unwilling to be deterred. "Tian, you were told to meditate upon your actions. It was assumed that you would do so at the main temple!"

Tian rolled her eyes and continued up the path. "I was told not to leave the temple grounds. This is part of the temple. And you're here to ensure I'm not about to go running off into the unknown, Dasheng." She paused before turning to look back at the guard. "I thought you would have supported me, at least."

Dasheng awkwardly shifted from foot to foot. "Tian, you know how insane it sounds. The head priest has heard nothing, and neither have any of the other Dragon Brides."

"At least none who are willing to talk," the girl muttered, turning away.

The Piplup clearly did not hear you and added, "Besides, it's...you. You're you and you know how crazy it would be if you were right so you have to be wrong." Houzi winced, anticipating a punch, but Tian instead whirled around and fixed him with an icy glare that was almost worse. Dasheng instinctively took a step back before rallying. "Oh come on, Tian! You know what I mean."

"...Do I?" Ignoring the stuttering attempt at an apology, Tian turned and continued the trek. Houzi shook his head in reluctant sympathy for the girl.

Crack! The sound of a branch snapping made Houzi flinch back from the bush. But all the twigs were intact. Frowning, he watched as Dasheng and Tian glanced around nervously. "Who's there? Show yourself!" Dasheng called out, brandishing his spear.

But the attack came from above as a Starly dropped down, nearly landing right atop Dasheng's head. The Piplup yelped as he was pinned while Tian staggered back, nearly tripping over her robes. That's when a second Starly landed behind her, chuckling. "Oh, where do you think you're going, girlie?"

Tian's eyes widened and she launched herself forward, trying to flee. But the second Starly snagged her wrist and hauled her back. "Tian!" Dasheng called, struggling to buck the other Starly from his back. "What do you want with her, you fiends?"

The first Starly shared a wild grin with his partner. "You know how much people would pay for a girl like this? Especially one blessed by Gangtie Long Shen?" Dasheng's struggling grew more desperate as Tian tried to tear herself free from her captor's grip. "There's a reason they keep you little brides locked up."

Houzi let his head drop the the ground, fighting back a scream of dismay. He'd never be able to come here again after this! Gathering himself up, the Chimchar launched himself up the tree, making as much noise as possible while keeping himself hidden. The Starly exchanged glances before the one holding the priestess approached the tree, dragging the struggling girl along with him. Perched atop a nearby branch, Houzi waited as the man drew closer and closer...Now! "

"YAAAAAHHHH!!!!" With a yell, Houzi let himself drop, landing on the arm that held Tian and slashing his nails across the Starly's face. The attacker staggered back with a cry of pain as Tian tore herself free and darted away. As the Flying Type made to chase her, Houzi lunged forward. "Oh no you don't!" This time, the Scratch came from chin to crown, leaving thick grooves as the Starly was slammed into the tree. A final punch, and the bird went down.

"Gulu!" his partner cried, leaping from Dasheng's back and diving for Houzi. "You'll pay for that!" Rolling his eyes, Houzi caught the charge and let himself fall back, flipping the Starly forward so that he slammed head-first into the ground. Rolling free, he caught the bird's neck and bashed him against the dirt twice more, only releasing him when he sagged in the Chimchar's grip.

Panting, Houzi glanced over his shoulder. Tian was hiding behind the tree, a relatively denuded branch in her hands that she was clearly intending to use as a weapon if she had to. She let it fall as Houzi dropped the bird and rose to his feet. "You okay?" he asked.

"Y-yes," the Dragon Bride answered with a slow nod. "Thank you...for saving us." Houzi nodded in response, wondering if this would be the best time to make his escape. Then he saw Tian's eyes widen in shock. "Dasheng, no!"

"DIE!" Spinning on one heel, Houzi barely managed to see the Piplup diving for him with something in his hands. Then it all went black.

So that's the prologue! Hope you guys enjoyed it. As you can probably predict, I picked Chimchar as my starter. I got a pretty perfect one for Houzi's personality. Lonely nature, a little quick-tempered, and Blaze. I referenced this a bit with the rolls as Lonely nature means he likes spicy and hates sour. Great nature for a future Infernape though. Also, his name basically means 'irritated monkey', just for fun.

So, Houzi rescused Tian, and then was attacked himself. What will happen to him? Find out next time, and hope you all enjoyed! 👋

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual lorewriter and worldbuilder. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Nice to see this finally started! I certainly hope our thieving hero survives, because otherwise that's the end of the nuzlocke, isn't it? That'd be a pretty short story.

SimplyUnknown

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A silent watcher who speaks only when something needs to be said. Offers free hugs to those who need them.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Trollkitten: Thank you for commenting! I would have started sooner, but I needed the game to actually come out. Hopefully, Houzi is not dead as that would be a pretty short nuzlocke.

"Please, you have to listen to me!" Tian begged, kneeling with her arms outstretched and her forehead pressed against the floor. The Dratini was aware of the stares and snickers from the other Dragon Brides, but forced herself to ignore them. This wasn't about her. "Mother Yansu, the Chimchar is not an enemy! He was only helping defend us against our attackers!"

Dragon Mother Yansu Yangzi stared down at Tian and gave an audible sniff. "If your word is to be believed, then the Sheng Hu Zhenli was invaded by multiple attackers. Ones that one of our own Dragon Guard was unable to fight off without the aid of a stranger." The Staravia lifted a hand to point at the prostrate girl. "Are we to trust in the word of a known liar, one who was supposed to be reflecting upon her actions in the main temple? No, I don't believe we shall."

Tian grit her teeth and risked sitting up. "I'm not lying! Gangtie Long Shen has been appearing in my dreams and-"

SMACK!!! The room filled with gasps as Tian fell backwards. She gently brushed a quickly reddening cheek as Mother Yansu lowered her hand. "I have had enough of your deceit," the woman hissed. "Guardian Yunxing has given his report to us and will be rewarded for protecting a Dragon Bride from potential slavery. You would do well to offer him your gratitude as well." Turning on one heel, Mother Yansu stalked towards the door. "Henceforth, Dragon Bride Tian Shen shall be confined to the main temple until further notice. She shall be refused food for three days, water for one, in the hopes that she shall repent and learn from her mistakes."

Tian resisted the urge to fight back as the rest of the room's occupants offered her false pity and smug glances. Instead, she shifted back into her kneeling position and lifted her chin proudly. "What will happen to my rescuer then?"

Mother Yansu turned and sent her a glare, and Tian fought against the instinctive shudder. "The Chimchar will be held in the dungeon until the council can deliberate on his fate." The Staravia threw the door open and strode out, letting it slam behind her. The Dratini remained in her kneeling position as the rest of the Dragon Brides hurried away now that the show was done. She'd originally gone to the Sheng Hu Zhenli to pray for aid at the statue of Sage Qinggan. But maybe this was her answer.

Pain is what woke him up, his face aching and throbbing. Especially around his nose. Houzi resisted the urge to touch as he opened his eyes. He groaned at the sight of the dirt ceiling above him and the bars he could see covering the high window. A quick glance at his wrists and ankles confirmed the chains attaching him to the nearest wall as well. This was definitely a prison cell. Sitting up, the Chimchar rubbed under his nose, knocking free some dried blood as he did so. "Asshole," Houzi muttered. "What did he hit me with?"

There was a clang as the Bonsly standing guard at the gate smacked them with his spear. "No less than what you deserved, slaver. How dare you break into the Sheng Hu Zhenli and attempt to abduct one of our priestesses?"

The Chimchar rolled his eyes; so that was the play they were going with. "What exactly would I do with that girl once I had her?" he snarked as he caught a glimpse of a bloodstain on his shirt. Houzi spat on the mark and began trying to rub it out. "Maybe you should ask that guard of yours why he couldn't fight off a single thug on his own?"

The Bonsly kicked at the bars. "How dare you disrespect the honorable Guardian Yunxing?"

"Oh, so honor involves lying about the guy who cleaned up your mess so that you can get ahead?" Houzi scoffed. "Assholes and idiots, the lot of you."

"You!" The Bonsly raised his spear again, but before he could do anything else, there was the sound of a door opening. Houzi smirked as the guard resumed his original position. The sound of footsteps drew closer as a familiar figure came into the light.

"A meal and bandages for the prisoner," the priestess from earlier said, holding up a tray with a steaming stone bowl and a couple of rolls, along with some white wrappings. Houzi kept his face turned towards the ground, but at an angle so he could watch the pair from the corner of his eye.

The guard leaned forward to sniff the bowl before scowling. "Leave it here, I'll give it to him."

The girl bowed her head low, refusing to meet the guard's eyes. "I am to begin my penance by treating the prisoner. Orders from Mother Zhichi." The guard snorted, and Houzi watched the priestess lift her head sharply. "What is your name? I will have to report which of the guards is preventing me from honoring my penance."

The implied threat made the Bonsly's face pale. "Wait, there's no need for that!" He tugged a rusted key free of a pocket on his belt, (third from the left, not the best location to pickpocket), and swiftly unlocked the door. He stepped back as the priestess entered the cell and then closed the gate behind her. "Just, don't mention this to Mother Zhichi."

The girl glanced over her shoulder and waved a hand. "Perhaps. Now, give us some privacy."

"But-"

"You can lock the door if you wish. I am perfectly safe here." The look on the Bonsly's face proved he didn't believe her in the slightest. But he simply locked the gate and stepped into the shadows.

"Yang laji," he muttered under his breath as his footsteps faded. Houzi glared through the gate bars as the priestess placed the tray on the bed beside him.

"Bastard," Houzi muttered after him before turning to stare at the girl. Up close, he could now see that her eyes weren't the black or dark gray he'd been expecting, but an incredibly dark purple shade. "Should I be worried about someone slipping poison in those?" he asked with a jerk of his chin towards the food.

To his surprise, the girl snorted. "If it had been made by anyone else in the temple, most likely. But I made it myself, so you're alright." She nudged the tray closer. "The rolls are solid all the way through, and the soup is Leppa Berry with Cheri flakes." The priestess shifted so that she was kneeling in front of the cot. "Would you like to eat first or should I take care of your nose?"

Houzi reluctantly tore his eyes away from the spicy soup with a sigh. "Might as well handle this first," he grumbled, tapping his nose with two fingers. "That way, I can enjoy your soup properly."

"Alright." The girl leaned forward, and Houzi caught a glimpse of a pale gem attached to a silver chain around her neck. As she placed a hand against his cheek, the gem began glowing. Houzi gasped as...something began pulsating through his body, making his nose tingle. It lasted on a few seconds before the light faded and the priestess pulled away. "There. Your nose is better now."

Houzi blinked, suddenly aware of the lack of pain in his nose. He pressed against it a few times. "Huh. Neat trick."

The priestess gave a shrug as the Chimchar turned to dig into his meal. "We serve Gangtie Long Shen. All Dragon Brides can turn back time a short period to heal injuries." She leaned back on her heels as she watched him eat. "I would like to apologize for Dasheng's actions."

"The guard?" Houzi asked through a mouthful of bread. Swallowing, he added, "It's fine. Not like you did anything. What'd he hit me with anyways?"

"His helmet." This pulled a reluctant smile from her. "Dasheng has always been adaptive. We weren't introduced before. I am Tian Shen."

Houzi pulled the spoon from his mouth as he nodded. "Houzi Jinu," he replied. "So, why'd you send the guard away?"

Tian twisted her hands together. "I'm sorry, but I need your help." The Chimchar snorted. "I know, but you're the only one I can ask."

"Maybe, but in case you somehow forgot? I'm a prisoner." He lifted his hands and jangled his chains around. "Not much I can do here."

"You can fight." Tian's jaw tightened as Houzi's gaze narrowed. "You beat those outlaws so easily, even though you were outnumbered. I need to leave the temple, but I can't go alone. I need someone to help protect me on the road."

Houzi gave a low, dark chuckle. "Oh, and what's stopping you from asking the hundreds of temple guards sitting on their butts around here?" He jerked a thumb towards the window. "Surely, any one of them would be falling on their face to take a Dragon Bride anywhere she wants."

Tian turned, staring down the passageway that the Bonsly had gone through. "You saw how that guard treated me. You heard what he said. They're all like that with me; always have been." Houzi's frown grew. "Do you know what yang laji means? It means 'foreign trash'." Tian lifted a hand to brush a lock of hair over one of the white fins on her head. "I was born here at the temple, but that doesn't matter to anyone here. Not when I'm a Dratini."

Houzi rolled the soup around in his mouth, savoring the spiciness before swallowing. "Are you...being mistreated?" he asked carefully. "That why you want to get out?"

Tian shook her head. "No, that's just personal. How much do you know about Gangtie Long Shen?"

The Chimchar shrugged. "He's a god? He does things with time? What more do I need to know? Not like he's gonna come waltzing into town and hand me a bag of coin."

The Dratini sighed. "Gangtie Long Shen's divine role is to oversee the flow of time itself. The River of Time flows gold when it's heading towards a bright future for all of Sinnoh. However, like any river, it can become polluted." Tian shifted into a sitting position. "For the past couple of months, I've been having dreams where I'm standing by the river of time, watching it turn black and rotting. Those dreams are traditionally a sign that something is going wrong with Sinnoh, that Gangtie Long Shen is demanding that we fulfill our sacred duty and travel through the land, judging the nobles and removing corruption where we find it."

"And you think he's chosen you?" Houzi asked, wondering if he was chained up alone in a room with a crazy person.

Tian threw her hands up. "I don't know. I don't know whether there are more people all around Sinnoh getting these dreams and just...ignoring them? I don't know why I'm the only one willing to talk about it, who wants to at least travel to the Heijin lands to confirm whether things are going well or not. But every time I try to bring it up..." Tears welled up in her eyes and she hastily blinked them away. "It doesn't matter. I just need to get to Heijin Shi as quickly as possible. And right now, you're my best option."

"And if I refuse?" Houzi stared flatly at Tian as she blinked in shock. "If I say I don't give a damn about rivers of time or temple politics? That I just want to get out of this cell and away from this region so that I'm not killed for something I didn't do? What would you say to that?"

Tian stared at him for a few seconds before sighing and rising to her feet. "Alright, I should have expected that," she muttered, reaching into the sleeve of her robe. Houzi's eyes widened when she pulled out a ring of keys and dropped them at his feet. "The one on the right unlocks your wrist manacles, the one two keys down unlocks your ankles. If you wait for sunset, you can slip out and through the western gate when the guard shift changes; it's usually the least protected around then."

Houzi silently picked up the key ring as Tian headed for the door. "Wait." She paused, a hand inches away from rapping on the metal. "Why are you giving me these? I said I wouldn't help you."

"One has nothing to do with the other." The Dratini turned and stared at the Chimchar in clear confusion. "You saved me and Dasheng. You don't deserve to be punished for helping us. I tried to convince them to release you, but they took Dasheng's word over mine. I'm sorry I can't do more to help."

Houzi dropped his face into the flat pillow they'd provided, releasing a muffled scream and making Tian jump. He hated this, he really did. Lifting his now red face, he sighed. "You planning on leaving through the way you told me?"

Tian hesitated and shook her head. "I...had an alternate route planned."

"Tell them to make room for two." Houzi nudged the empty tray off the bed and flopped onto his back, trying to ignore the priestess's delighted gasp. "I'll get you to Heijin Shi safely. After that, you're on your own. Got it?"

"Yes," Tian agreed instantly. "Thank you, Jinu."

"If we're going to be traveling together, just call me Houzi."

So now we have our plot set up. Tian the Dratini (and our playable character) will be escorted by Houzi and other team members in an effort to wipe out corruption in the Sinnoh region. Though if Tian hadn't given Houzi the ability to free himself regardless, he probably would have escaped on his own eventually. Poor guy, his conscience puts in a lot of work.

As a note, yang laji is a real slur the Chinese use for Westerners. I thought it would fit for Tian since as a Dratini, she's traditionally associated with Kanto and Johto rather than Sinnoh. But they can be caught in vanilla Sinnoh games. You just need the Super Rod to do it, and you normally can't get that until Post-game. So Dratini was a good base-Sinnoh option I would never get in a regular playthrough.

Hope you guys are enjoying this, leave a like or a review if you are. See you next time! 👋

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual lorewriter and worldbuilder. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Well, that was awfully decent of Tian. One good turn deserves another... and another, it seems, judging from Houzi's reaction to being freed.

Here's hoping this doesn't end in Houzi getting killed in the end anyway. I've always had a soft spot for thieving characters who become unlikely heroes.

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
QUEST TIME!!!!! i love quests... i have a good feelin about tian and houzi's partnership

Users who are viewing this thread