• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Feature team invited you to check out the Hidden Gem Showcase! Give a little love to your favorite runs you think more people should know about!
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
Thread Description
A Randomized Zombie run of Fire Red (Chapter 14: Check, Please)

Uberle

Lur King
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
Stays in the distortion dimension where no one bothers him
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tuesday
Update time
And it's the final battles, so enjoy the show

@DistortionLocke Do breaking bones count?

@Spectacles That conversation took me a long time to work out and I'm glad I managed to stick the landing

@sky_ Again, I wonder what kind of monster you take me for.
Asclepius is a doctor of all kinds, he is here to help anyway you need it
Now why would the final gym be so easy?
It's Giovanni, the man wrecked me every time we fought

Nary sat in the middle of a ring of people and foliage. Everyone stood above her while she stayed on the ground making sure that no zombies snuck up on them as they crept through Victory Road. Nary knew every region with a League had one, but it was still a very poor excuse for a road. When it gave way to lakes and the cave they were currently avoiding by climbing the mountain it was carved out of, Nary began to think of very strong words for the contractors assuming they hadn’t ended up being unexpectedly demolished.
The Pallet Town refugees did a good job of keeping the zombies they did run into at bay. Even the undead corpses of magic creatures were vulnerable to a very big stick. Moving over the cave was a slow effort. The rock was too hard for plants to properly take root in, so Nary’s power to get plants to her was limited, and then there was the vine reaching all the way to the entrance of Victory Road. Who knew how long it was by that point? Maybe a mile or two? The group finally made it over the cave and was coming up on the last gate when she finally felt a pull. His pull.
She willed the vine to recede as fast as it could and winced at the several collisions she felt through its journey. Soon enough the one attached to it was in view and roughly landed next to Nary. “Apologies for taking so long, I had to entertain an unwanted guest,” Asclepius said as he got up, dusted himself off, and popped bones back into place. “Any injuries for me to look at?”
“No, we got here more or less unscathed,” Nary reported. “We got a few scratches from some infected, but since everyone stayed in my range most of the time I was able to keep everyone safe.”
“Good to hear. Good job,” Asclepius walked over to the gate and pulled out the Earth Badge. He held it up and waited.

You require the Earth Badge to proceed.
Oh, that is the Earth Badge!
You may pass.
The League wishes you luck in your endeavors.

The door slowly opened and Asclepius was the first to approach the entrance of the Kanto Pokemon League.
And he immediately stopped when he saw that the door was wide open. Not broken down, not left unlocked, it was open and waiting. “Nary, you were able to sense infected on your way here, correct?”
“Yyyyes, why?”
“Where were they in relation to you?”
“Usually hiding in the denser parts of the forest and a few were underground.”
“How far underground?”
“Not that far, about ten feet deep. Is... Is that important?”
“... I had to get the badges because the only other way into the League was a tunnel made for League staff members, and even then they usually had to show their ID tos someone inside to get buzzed in... The Elite Four can go in whenever, but they still need an ID. The Champion does not,” Asclepius felt his own words properly sink in as Nary put together what was going on.
“Tabes.”
“Can you figure out where he is?”
“I-I can try. But he might be-“ Nary suddenly stopped and grew pale. “… that’s… Infected. Dozens. All his.”
“Keep searching. He has to be in there somewhere.”
“R-right,” Nary started to sweat under the strain of expanding her power so far, but she needed to help Asclepius as much as she could. “Found him... And he found me. He wants you and only you... His message is... Meet him right in front of the Hall of Fame... He wants to go out with a bang,” She retracted her power and almost collapsed, but Asclepius caught her and jabbed her with something. “Ow what- ... um.”
“We need you in top shape,” Asclepius told her as he pocketed the syringe previously filled with his blood. “Keep everyone out here safe. I’ll let you know when it’s safe to enter.”
“Are you sure about this?”
“Of course I am. I just need to get to him and this will all end.”
“How many bullets do you have left?”
“...” Asclepius checked. One. “Enough,” And before Nary had time to protest he went in the opened door and closed it behind him.

What a lovely day.
Unfortunately I couldn’t have had the honor to finish Giovanni myself, but since it was Healer I can’t get too mad.
But I did end up with a slight problem.
I don’t know what to do with myself.
I can’t heal my body anymore so eventually I’ll just decay away.
So what? Just find someplace to chill until I completely rot? Drink the rest of Healer’s blood vials that’ll disintegrate me?
Nnnnnnnnno.
Not gonna do that.
So I’ll end things off with giving Healer a proper gym challenge.
I have the body and enough of the mind to take Gary’s place, so why not?
Time for the last Championship battle Kanto is gonna see for a very long while!

Asclepius dragged himself into the champion battle room. He had burns healing over and was slowly working off a limp, but he was there. “Twenty. You put twenty infected Pokemon between us.”
“Thwell, whath elth wath I tha-ppoth to do?” Tabes’ host body wasn’t doing too well. The chase in Saffron resulted in more wounds that were put back together with shrooms and now the rest of his left arm had fallen off. He was standing straight, but it was clear how close he was to collapse.
“... Pause,” Asclepius held up a single blood vial about a quarterway full. “A sample of my blood from before I ingested any form of the plague, much less your own strand. It will heal your mouth enough so I can actually understand you.”
“hmm...” Tabes only briefly hesitated before taking the blood. After a moment he opened his mouth and practiced moving his tongue around. “Ascleph- Ascelp- Well still can-not say it, so Heal-er it is. And as I was say-ing, what else was I su-pposed to do for your E-lite Four? All of them al-read-y fucked off, and I wan-ted to give you the full Kan-to League ex-per-i-ence!”
“And for that you got the Charmeleon I beat at the first gym and made it a Charizard?” The Charizard itself was mostly mold by this point, but its memory was still intact. And the fight wasn’t as bloodless as the first time.
“Thought it would be a-ppro-pri-ate. Guess-ing it gave you a bit of a vibe check?” Asclepius didn’t answer so Tabes moved on. “An-y-way. How man-y mons you got left?”
“Just two.”
“Wow, all those Po-ke-mon I sent rea-lly did a num-ber on you?”
“... Sure.”
“I feel like there’s some-thing be-ing left out but I’m not gon-na in-ves-ti-gate. Now TET-A-NUS!” Tabes threw a pokeball into the air and called forth a Steelix, infection growing like moss along its steel casing. “Let’s start-“
“Surf,” Asclepius had already sent out Blubber, his Sealeo, and given it a Scope Lens. A massive wave rode through and took out the giant iron snake in a single hit. “Tabes, know that I do this out of respect. You are dying and since you lived to honor the host body you’re inhabiting you want your final act to reflect that. A final champion battle. And I will give you that, but I ask for forgiveness because I’m not planning on making this a show.”
“….. heh.. HAHAHA!” Tabes erupted into laughter as he tossed up his next pokeball. “Well then guess I’ll pick up your slack!” He shouts as a Miltank dropped down.
“Hm. Blizzard,” Blubber sent out a wave of wind and ice at the Normal type, but it wasn’t enough to knock it out.
“Bide, Cow-pox!” Tabes ordered. The Miltank started to emit steam as it prepared to take on any more damage. Asclepius paused and swapped to his only other Pokemon, Herb the Grovyle.
“Agility,” Asclepius wouldn’t attack, he would just stall. When the Bide ran out of steam he sent Blubber back out and commanded a Surf to finish the Miltank off. Tabes sent his next two Pokemon out with a roar, a Rapidash and Torkoal, but both were instantly defeated with Surf as well.
“Your Sea-le-o’s a bit tired, isn’t it, Healer?” Tabes taunted as he sent out a Golduck. “After that gauntlet, how many more Surfs does it have left? And how con-fi-dent are you in Blizzard landing?”
“I have faith,” Asclepius answered, swapping out to Herb. “Mega Drain.”
“Screech!” The Golduck let out a piercing noise as Herb drained its health. “Now Fu-ry Swipes!”
“Mega Drain again,” The two Pokemon engaged in the back and forth, until Tabes pulled out the Golduck’s Pokeball.
“Think that’s enough, come back-”
“Pursuit,” Herb shot forth and sliced the Golduck with its leaf blades. The Golduck didn’t recall to its ball, instead it silently fell forward. “You have one left. Saving the best for last?”
“You know it! EAR-RAPE!” A moment passed then the doors to the Hall of Fame burst open to show Earrape, who was now an Exloud and almost completely consumed by the plague. Mushrooms shed spores grew out of every hole and the gunk acted like an exoskeleton. Or maybe a shell to contain whatever remains it was holding together. “Hyper Voice!” Asclepius barely had time to react as the attack shredded through Herb. “And now we’re both down to one. Al-though yours is a bit tired- wait what’re you do-ing?” Asclepius sent out Blubber and held his arm out for the Sealeo to bite into.
“The most important piece of advice to trainers is that when they go into the Elite Four, it is recommended to bring lots of healing items,” He recited as Blubber licked the blood off his arm. “Of course those are in low supply recently. Fortunately, I have infinite Full Restores. It’s not the most practical. It doesn’t restore PP, it needs to be fresh, and of course it’s not much use when someone can be fine one second and almost gone the next. But when the time is right, it can turn things around,” He rolled his sleeve back down and patted Blubber on the head. “Blizzard.”
“Hy-per Voice!” The two forces clashed into each other and settled as a fine frost covering everything. “Scream your heart out! This is our fi-nal-e, so make every move count!” Earrape nodded to his trainer and started to inhale.
“Aurora Beam,” The multicolored light beam went right into the Exploud’s mouth and froze in its throat. “Needle Arm,” Blubber rolled up and started hacking at Earrape’s shell with a thorned flipper. Tabes shouted in frustration as Earrape kept flinching.
“I would have fig-ured that you were a-bove hax, Heal-er!”
“Not in this case.”
“Fine. Then have mine. Rest!” The Exploud closed its eyes and started to snore, the damage done to its fungi shield quickly repairing itself.
“Don’t let up,” Was all Asclepius told Blubber. The Sealeo gave him a sideways glare, but obeyed. The damage remained once Earrape awoke from its slumber, but it let out a burst of noise to push Blubber away from it. “Aurora Beam,” A rainbow wave of cold shot out and froze over the Exploud’s overgrowth, but it didn’t seem that bothered by it.
“Come on buddy, we’re almost there!” Tabes cheered his Pokemon on and shouted out a command. “Hyper Voice!” Earrape started to emmit the attack, but suddenly stopped. It braced as it tried again, but fell to its knees from the effort. “.... too late, huh?” Tabes shambled over to Earrape’s side and put a hand on its head as it continued to sink lower on the ground. “... Yeah you can tell he’s basically soup now. Guess the strain on his voicebox was too much. Imagine that. A mute Exploud... But that doesn’t mean we’ll stop fighting!” On cue, Earrape moved to attack, but Asclepius hadn’t left his guard down.
“Aurora Beam,” Asclepius could tell that it was a critical hit, and it fully froze Earrape over and Blubber smashed through the zombie. “That’s that.”
“.... Yeah…” Tabes looked over the pile of his friend. “Thanks for le-tting him go out like that. I didn’t want him to just sit as we ro-tted a-way,” He stood up and worked his way over to the doorway to the Hall of Fame. “Come on, we need to make you the champ-i-on.”
“What would the engineers who designed all of these security measures say if they knew that it was so easily beaten by a dead body?” Asclepius wondered aloud.
“Well I can’t ex-act-ly blame them for not pre-dic-ting all of this,” Tabes grandly gestured to everything around him by holding his arm up and spinning around then pointing at himself. “Now come on. I’m fall-ing apart here,” Asclepius called Blubber back into its Pokeball and followed Tabes into the room only Champions dared to enter.

Leon Yorunaki

I'll Spirit Shackle you!
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Ghost
Geez, I knew I should have come here earlier. Nuzlocke Forums were welcoming ever since Zeta days, and I don't know what made me slowly fade away. Language barriers, maybe, a reserve about writing in english again. Still, there's a reason why it has survived all of these years in a thriving community, and it's nothing like where I hanged all these years of absence.
But no more being away, I hope.

What a time to be back, though. This is, like, at least ten times better than what I was used to read. Randomized runs often fail to be interesting, but not yours. A good scenario, an awesome storytelling, and that will of making something completely different from the usual journey. Add to that the spicy zombies and you hooked me in.

You have personality in each and every character, enough so you don't need that many. And they bleed that personality out, which is really great.

Now, onto the last chapter itself, I wonder what's left on the Pokémon League. Asclepius might be the "Champion", but this doesn't look over to me yet. I'm curious, and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

DistortionLocke

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Anxious, sweet-toothed writer who hides amongst the papers. Only attacks when provoked.
I’m relieved, but also strangely sad 😢

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
This ghost is happy with food, rest, quiet and cuddles. They may try to be edgy or mysterious, but are often told that they present as the opposite.
oh my goodness you made it

with only one pokemon left, i sdhjkhsfjk wow

so this should be it, right? the league will have all these nice furnishings, everyone should be okay... there totally aren't any surprise tricks that tabes or anyone else has up their sleeves...?

Spectacles

Rule Maker
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 24, 2019
Nature
Jolly
Pronouns
she/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
It hides deep inside caves where no light ever reaches it and remains virtually motionless there. ~Pokemon Crystal, entry #52
One. "Enough." Mmmmm yes to more badassery. Blubber is the sole survivor! I also share everyone's suspicions that our main character will not truly be at peace...

Uberle

Lur King
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
Stays in the distortion dimension where no one bothers him
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And now we draw this run to a close
Was a lot of fun with a lot of death but now it's time for the epilogue

My, none of you seem to trust me.
Wonder what I've done to make you all suspicious

@Leon Yorunaki Thank you very much for the kind words, I'm happy to see that you enjoyed your time with this run
And as for things not being done... Well you get your answer here

@DistortionLocke A fair reaction considering Tabes' fate
Falling apart he's reached the end of his life and wants to go out with a bang

@sky_ One mon left and only 1 move left
An incredibly close fight that I should not have won
This is the end, for now anyway

@Spectacles He only needed the one, and it was indeed enough
Asclepius' job very much means he won't get much rest

Oak requested that I write a log of the damages caused as a result of me going through the region. I’m uncertain of the purpose, so for now I will assume it’s to better catalog what I had to go through to make a case for why no human should attempt what I did in other regions.

Pewter
A mutated infected Charmeleon threw me through a wall, but nothing else.

Cerulean
A Blastoise learned how to repurpose the metal railings in the gym into harpoons and pinned me to a wall. The entire pool had to be covered in Poison Powder to kill it.

Vermillion
Nothing at the gym, got punched and kicked into/through various walls, floors, and ceilings aboard the SS Anne. Ultimately ended in blowing up the ship’s kitchen.

Celadon
Nary took care of the fight from a distance. A later survey showed that the interior is a bit of a mess, but nothing irreversible.

Fuchsia
Circumstances resulted in the absolute devastation of the gym.
Further information is classified.

Viridian
Classified

Asclepius started to write for the Pokemon League but the only serious damage was his final bullet on Tabes and the burning thereafter.
And so long as he was Champion, no one else would learn about that.
So he just wrote ‘Various injuries as a result of high leveled infected congregating inside’.

Anyway that’s done so just going to talk about the aftermath a bit.
Blubber was my only survivor, and has since been given to Professor Oak for care. He’s seen and done enough.
Tabes... Well as I am the only one who can enter that room, it won’t become an issue for the moment.
I... I don’t want to tell Samuel what happened. He’s achieved what he set out to do. He deserves to enjoy his success. And I think uncertainty on Gary’s fate is better than its reality.
As for the other human infected, I went back to the Viridian gym and found only a large stain on the ground where the White Horse fell. As best as I could tell some wild zombies came into the place after I left and tore it apart.
If it is still out there there’s nothing I can do right now.
But there are still other things within my capabilities.
Now that I have actual medical equipment I was able to treat Nary. It was a very long process, but successful. She still needs a few months to let things mend. I’m not giving her my blood, this needs to be a slow process so if anything looks wrong I can deal with it before it gets serious. But she can go to the berry trees and move around on her own well enough, so she’s happy. What’s next is up to her.
Which brings me to me.
What to do next...
Currently I’m helping with a plan to make a path to Saffron and link the two strongholds. The distance proves a challenge, but it’ll help people.
But after that....
Well there are other regions.
Kanto was relatively well off. Other places weren’t.
So...
I’ll investigate.
I will help where I can, but even I am restricted by the means of how I get around.
So until then
I’ll be here doing as I have been
Fulfilling my oath

Interestingly, the Hippocratic Oath has two variations but neither directly state "do no harm"
There's the version that is directly translated from the original text which includes the line "Into whatsoever houses I enter, I will enter to help the sick, and I will abstain from all intentional wrong-doing and harm"
And there's what is considered a more modern interpretation since the original has some outdated beliefs and starts with declaring the gods as the oath taker's witness
In case you're curious, yes my namesake is one of those gods, he is called right after Apollo.
In place of the line above, the more modern oath says "Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty."
Personally I prefer the older version's take on that, but it's the next line in the modern oath that I consider most important for myself specifically.

"Above all, I must not play God"

I am a Being, I have powers that can lead one to see me as something above humans.
But I am not a god, I am not a superior kind to stand above others.
I may have secured the League but my only qualifications for the job in the first place were that I had a gun and couldn't die.
I can never forget what I have dedicated myself to. I am a medical doctor of every kind, and I am here to assist
I am to enter a house to aid the sick and nothing more because that is what I have sworn to.
And if a day comes where I can no longer abide by that rule, then we really have reached the end of the world

But it's not ending
It's hurting, certainly, but I am a doctor
And no matter what, I am here to help

DistortionLocke

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Anxious, sweet-toothed writer who hides amongst the papers. Only attacks when provoked.
Kanto was relatively well off. Other places weren’t.
So...
I’ll investigate.

Hmm, is that a sequel I smell? Also, Paean Take Some Time to Fucking Mourn Challenge

But she can go to the berry trees and move around on her own well enough, so she’s happy.

Yay!

I... I don’t want to tell Samuel what happened. He’s achieved what he set out to do. He deserves to enjoy his success. And I think uncertainty on Gary’s fate is better than its reality.
😢🤧

Leon Yorunaki

I'll Spirit Shackle you!
Writer
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Ghost
Do I smell a sequel of that?

Shame I got here only in time for the grand finale, but this looks good and tasty enough for my standards.
And why do I feel Giovanni will keep pestering Asclepius wherever he goes next?

Users who are viewing this thread