• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • The Feature team invited you to check out the Hidden Gem Showcase! Give a little love to your favorite runs you think more people should know about!
  • The Writer's Locke has returned! Our latest episode discusses character foils, continues with our read of Carousel, and adds something new and exciting to the mix!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!
Thread Description
A Randomized Zombie run of Fire Red (Chapter 14: Check, Please)

Uberle

Lur King
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
Stays in the distortion dimension where no one bothers him
'Ello
I am Uberle
And this is a thing I started at the beginning of the year after running into a bit of a wall with my other runs
And then I finished it
So here it is

Quite enjoyed writing this series
Chapters are a lot shorter than I normally do, so shouldn't take too much of your time

This is a run of Fire Red with a ruleset created @Faleep who you should all wish happy birthday today
Here's the rules

Normal nuzlocke rules
- Can not fully evolve anybody
- Can not catch fully evolved Pokémon
- Catching 2nd stage Pokémon;
* roll D20, follow Evolution rule
* If Captured Pokémon is infected, roll D6, lose a random party member to Infection
- Single stage Pokémon are carriers; can infect others even if no symptoms of fungal infection show
* Can not catch
- Shiny clause
- Every time a 3 stage Pokémon evolves into its middle stage, role a D20
* every type has a number
- grass 1
- fire 2
- water 3
- Electric 4
- psychic 5
- ice 6
- normal 7
- Dark 8
- flying 9
- fighting 10
- Poison 11
- ground 12
- rock 13
- bug 14
- Ghost 15
- steel 16
- dragon 17
* 18-20 is an automatic loss
* Another Loss is rolling the same number as the type
* Pokemon Death; everytime a Pokémon dies, flip a coin. Heads is Pokémon was not infected, dies normally. Tail is Pokémon was infected, roll a D6. Loose another Pokémon unless a 1 is rolled.

Quick note on my own rules
I can catch mons that don't evolve at all, but I can only have one in the party at a time and if I lose another mon to infection, then I don't do a dice roll and just auto lose the single stage
Also the coin flip bit doesn't stack
So if my mon faints, is infected, and kills a second mon, then I don't flip to see if the second one is infected
I don't trust my luck to not f*ck me over, which was smart when you see the body count at the end of all this

Now with all of those formalities out of the way

Here

We

Go

I am.... Quite old. I have been to several places across my years. As a doctor, I have seen people in all kinds of states of sickness and countless diseases. Diseases arise, go extinct, come back because of idiocy, and then get removed again. I was always able to figure something out.

But even I could never have been ready for this.

I should probably back up a bit. A few months ago some odd fungi started popping up in Unova. They infected Pokemon and manipulated them into attacking humans while feeding off of their bodies. Zombies had become reality, as a large number of people were quick to declare. It mainly affects Pokemon, especially fully evolved ones. And if you have seen any zombie thing ever, you know how things went. Spores spread, order crumbles, and now everyone is just trying to survive.

I will spare everyone the details, but right now Kanto is... Not well. Those in charge originally wanted to avoid chaos. Knowing your adorable Meowth could become a flesh hungry undead at any moment wasn’t exactly something they wanted to broadcast. Something that I would like to note went against advise I gave because I was a bit blunt with it. That led to almost no preparation for when it finally did hit our shores. Panic ensues, and everyone gets carried away in its shriek.

The gym leaders, E4, and champion are almost all gone, either left to lands unknown or dead, I don’t know for all. Just about every city with a gym is a no-go for uncertain reasons. Maybe there’s something about those areas that causes infected to gather.

Right now there’s only a handful of places that are safe, one being Pallet Town. It’s small and cramped, but fortified. But it can’t hold out forever. Those stuck inside need a new place to stay, and there’s one nearby: The Kanto League. The place was made to be self-sufficient so it could function as a place for people to both live and work without needing to leave the site. I’m uncertain as to why, but I imagine it has something to do with the famed League work ethic. It's definitely infested, but I can clear the zombies out easily. The real problem is the front door.

League staff that live off base are given a Pokemon that can fly them to work. There’s a secret entrance, but it can only be opened by someone already inside the place, or by one of the now missing Elite Four. So the only actual entrance to the place I can use is where challengers enter. Which brings attention to the damn thing’s lock. The doors along Victory Road can only be fully opened by someone holding all eight gym badges, which means someone has to travel the zombie infested region to collect all of them.

I think you can guess where I’m going with this.
The conversation that led to this decision was....

“Paean, you’re the only chance at this,” Professor Oak could barely walk, but even sitting down he commanded respect. His leg got a chunk bitten out by an infected Raticate right at the start of the plague. Thankfully the shrooms couldn’t take root in humans. At least, as far as anyone knew.

“Granted, but I am also the only reliable source of anything beyond first aid around here,” Asclepius had had his hands full. Injuries were to be expected given the circumstances. Luckily only a couple were anything serious, but there were only more zombies by the day and Pallet Town’s defenses were limited to a wooden gate and a couple volunteers monitoring the perimeter.

“We can’t stay here much longer, Paean! Sooner or later what we have won’t keep the hordes at bay and all the people in this town will be dead! Our only hope is to make a mad dash for the League, and you are the best guarantee we have to get the door open.”

“.... How certain are you that there will even be a town left to save if I do get the badges?”

“How certain are you that it will last without them?”

An event.
So I guess I should properly introduce myself.
My name is Asclepius, I also go by Paean if the first option proves troublesome on the tongue. I am what is known as a Being, I have the power of vastly accelerated healing, and right now I am the only hope anyone in Kanto has for surviving this apocalypse.

PsyduckEnthusiast

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Water
  2. Fighting
Pokédex Entry
a person who is very enthusiastic about the pokemon Psyduck, primarily because their first ever shiny was a psyduck, which they caught in their past.
I really enjoyed this, it seems like a really interesting concept! I'm excited to see where things go next, particularly with which pokemon end up joining the team first. :)

Faleep

Your local Non-binary ace Fox
Artist
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
They’re a new discovery, and they seem to be a mixture of outgoing and shy. Loves things related to art and writing. Somehow writes on mobile
Fuck yes, this has been a great start and I’m excited to read more

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Zombie run? dr seuss reference? 👀 I wonder how our protagonist's medical background will affect the story!

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
While the league was trying to keep everyone from panicking, not telling them only made things worse as by the time people started noticing the disease it was to late to build fortification against it. Getting all 8 badges is a long shot, but it's their only hope. Asclepius has to be quick or Pallet town will fall, and Pallet town will never know if the person they sent out is even alive or if Asclepius has fallen. Asclepius is a doctor, so I wonder how that will factor into the run. I can already imagine him yelling at some survivors to stop doing something really stupid that's just spreading the virus even further.

Uberle

Lur King
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And now we return for chapter 2 in which Asclepius just talks for a while

Replies first, then please enjoy

@PsyduckEnthusiast Thanks! Be sure to check out Faleep's stuff if this interests you, they made the zombie ruleset and their runs with it are glorious.
And you're about to figure out the starting team now.

@Faleep I have shared a fair bit in writing discord, but happy to finally provide this to you in full!

@Bowser's Family Vacation Yes and yes. Before it was just gonna be "Green Eggs and Ham" but then I made the decision to change it to "Greens, Eggs, and Ham" for reasons you're about to learn.
And Asclepius is certainly going to make use of what he knows in this run for... various reasons.

@ACottontail Mistakes were certainly made, and now Asclepius needs to deal with the consequences.
Don't worry about Asclepius dying. He is already part of a species that's very hard to kill and his power is absurd healing. And I am very much going to abuse this.

I’ve managed to get to the Pokecenter in Viridian City. Oak gave me a few Pokeballs, a couple potions, and an old Pokedex. I’m praying that the dex holds on, because it’s the second most vital thing I have. The shrooms will overtake a mon that fully evolves, so the dex’s ability to suppress evolutions is the only way I can keep my team safe. I did manage to obtain a few Pokemon, so let’s take stock.

First is the Torchic Oak gave me, Kanto Fried Chicken. Hasty nature, so let's hope dexterity holds up against strength. I also managed to catch almost a full team from the surrounding areas. First was Arugula the Hoppip. It’s not the most powerful offensively, but right now it’s actually my tankiest mon. Soon it’ll learn spore moves, and that will be absurdly valuable. Next is Paniki the Zubat. I will be honest in saying that I don’t have many plans for it. If I’m lucky I won’t have to worry about preventing it becoming a Crobat. Interpret that as you will. Next, Drumstick the Spearow. It’ll do as my Flying type with STAB for now, but being stuck in basic form isn’t going to work out long-term. And finally, Wawayu the Wooper. Only weakness is Grass, which the rest of the team resists, so it isn’t in too much danger.

Now you may have noticed that my team has a bit of a naming theme to it. And in case you’re wondering, no they’re not my backup food supply, I don’t actually need to eat, but they are on the menu.

I did not inform Oak about this. I didn’t tell anyone actually, and probably won’t. It’s very disgusting and I’m not even certain if this will work, but I might as well test it. See, my power means I don’t get sick, and the reason for that is when a new virus enters my system I automatically develop antibodies for it in a literal heartbeat. This has turned my blood into a sort of cure-all. A drop into a normal human’s immune system will provide them with the antibodies needed to combat the diseases I’ve encountered, barring extreme mutations.

No matter what it is, if it means harm my power will make sure it’ll be dispersed and develop a way to eliminate it for good. The plague itself seems to be a mix of bacteria and fungi, so my power should be able to create a defense against the actual virus part of the disease which will prevent the shrooms from manifesting. It’s like getting used to toxins by taking small doses. Yes that’s a thing. Now to get my body to find a way to get rid of the shrooms, it needs exposure.

And what better exposure is there than digestion?

Yes, my plan is to eat the infected Pokemon, including any that might’ve been my own, to see if I can create a cure somehow. I have no idea if it’ll work, but besides my palate, no harm will come of it, so why not? This is something only I can do, so I might as well. Nothing will change anyway if it doesn’t work.

.... Above help me, for I dare to hope this works.

I’ve got a good amount of gear on hand, sleeping bag, extra clothes, town map.... mints. I’ve already taken care to cover myself head to toe. I’m not taking any risks in case my scent gives away my location and I find myself surrounded by a horde. Sure, the zombies can’t kill me, but my strength and endurance is only that of an average human. So if an infected Machamp or something shows up, I can’t exactly fight it. Mostly anyway.

Earlier I said the Pokedex was the second most important tool, so allow me to elaborate on my first. Always in reach is my gun. It isn’t normal, it’s actually an enchanted object I bought off of another Being whose power was to give magic abilities to inanimate objects. In the case of my gun, three parts of it were enchanted.

The actual gun itself has been given the bonus of letting me know what it’ll hit when it fires, but it won’t shoot unless it's aimed at a non-living thing, like the zombies. Thankfully finding that out was heavier on the trial than error. The second part enchanted is the magazine. It only holds three bullets, but it regenerates ammo at the rate of one bullet per hour. Finally there are the bullets themselves. As the girl who magicked them so eloquently put it; “They’ll adapt to pierce whatever ya bang ‘em at.” At first I wasn’t entirely certain of what that means, but that’s why the scientific method was invented. Through tests, I’ve found out that the bullets will actually take on elemental properties to deal bonus damage to the zombies, similar to type advantages.

So closing out the night, Pokemon are in their balls and all entrances have alarms set up in case of a break in. I don’t think there will be anyone around at night, too many zombies out in the open, but you can never be too careful. Most people have figured out that robbing one another won’t help anything. Thankfully, the ones who’ve watched too many zombie movies and think that we’ve entered a battle royale have mostly calmed down, if not learned how very wrong they were.

Humans in crisis are the one thing I will never stop being fascinated by. A group can rebuild from nothing, and that’s impressive, but it's always the individuals that stick in my mind. The number of humans who continue to live despite blood loss being the least of their problems. Those who look death in the face, dare to challenge it to a staring contest, and somehow win. Maybe I have such an interest because what I am means I will never be able to ever figure out what drives someone when they face their end, and so can only experience it by proxy. And I’ve had a bit of proximity.

Perhaps I should’ve picked a less morbid profession, but.... I can’t say I regret it.

KFC (Torchic) LV 5
Hasty

Arugula (Hoppip) LV 4
Route 1
Impish

Paniki (Zubat) LV 4
Route 22
Sassy

Drumstick (Spearow) LV 3
Route 2
Mild

Wawayu (Wooper) LV 4
Viridian Forest
Jolly

Faleep

Artist
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
They’re a new discovery, and they seem to be a mixture of outgoing and shy. Loves things related to art and writing. Somehow writes on mobile
Holy shit I loved this chapter. Especially the ending two paragraphs, and the ending sentence. It’s absolutely great. Can’t wait for the next chapter, I’m excited to see how all the bits you’ve shared with me link together!

ACottontail

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 20, 2020
Nature
Timid
I like how you incorporated the dex in the run. It becomes the vital function of the B button in a setting where pokemon can't evolve. Ouch, that nicknaming theme is pretty harsh. I understand his plan, but I wonder how much Asclepius cares about his pokemon. Are they his partners braving the wilds to save the survivors of Pallet town, or are they just a means to that end? I definitely understand why the people in pallet town sent out Asclepius now. It's not so much of a matter of if for him, but when. I wonder what he is, as he appears to be some kind of legendary pokemon that has lived for centuries. My guess is a Deoxys in a trench coat since he describes healing quickly and his DNA being malleable enough to create antibodies for any illness. Though at the same time he has a mouth to eat if he wants to and he never mentions floating.

Uberle

Lur King
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
Alright now for fun times

@Faleep Really enjoyed writing those bits too. Just fun working with Asclepius and piecing all this together.

@ACottontail The B button is our lord and savior with this ruleset for sure.
I'd say more means to an end, but Asclepius will still treat them as best as he can
Asclepius isn't human, yeah, but not a legendary Pokemon. He's a Being, a species that include a good chunk of my characters, and they all have superpowers.
To keep it brief, Asclepius' power is basically the ultimate healing factor. Damage recovery is quick and any kinds of diseases that enter his system are immediately eradicated and he gets antibodies as a result.
And I am very much going to abuse this, and I hope you stay tuned to see how I do so

Today I managed to grab the Boulder Badge, and I’ll get into how that went later. Right now there’s... Something else on my mind. Before heading to Pewter I decided to stop and check the entrance to Victory Road, after all I need to make sure that I can actually get into the place when I do have all the badges. I got there and verified that the doors worked. But.... I found something, or rather someone, else there. It was...

It was a cloaked figure, dressed in tattered rags with some faded emblem on them. Its face was obscured under its hood, but Asclepius could tell it could see perfectly fine. He raised his gun at the figure and shouted, “Who are you?”
“Who are you?” The figure retorted in an identical tone. It then repeated itself in a different tone, one which had more intelligence behind it. “Who... Are you?”
“.... Asclepius, or Paean if the first gives you trouble. Now tell me who you are.”
“As-celp-ee-us…” It mispronounced. “The god of medicine?” The figure shambled forward, its movements sudden and stiff, like a puppet on strings. Like a zombie. Asclepius decided to test something and pulled the trigger. The gun let out a bang as it fired and struck the figure in the chest. It stumbled and fell down with a sound Asclepius had been on enough battlefields to recognize. He ran forward, keeping his gun trained on the figure, and knelt down to look at its face.
“... How-”
“Tell me, Heal-er,” The figure, ignoring the fact that he was dead, spoke. “Do you have a cure for this?” It was Gary Oak, grandson of the professor, and Champion of Kanto. Now the first case of a human infected.
“What happened-”
“EAR-RAPE!” The figure, Gary, shouted and Asclepius was hit with a wall of noise. He looked around and found an infected Whismer screeching at him. The sound was horrendous, and the last thing he consciously recalls is having his feet swept out from under him as the noise continued.

I will be perfectly honest, I don’t really remember what happened next. Damage is one thing, but even my recovery can’t do much against every cell of my brain vibrating like that. My stuff was definitely searched through, but I think he only stole a vial of my blood I had in my pack, maybe because he knew what I could do. All I know is that once I was able to calm my thoughts, Gary was gone. At least I’m going to assume it’s Gary for now. Maybe it's just his body, after all the gun fired. And his face was... He was missing his left eye, the socket was just filled with green roots, and his teeth were almost pure yellow, they haven’t been cleaned in months which lines up with when he first disappeared. His veins were green as well, probably all clogged up with the plague. I didn’t see any of the actual shrooms growing anywhere, only the roots in his eye, but that may change.

If I had to take an educated guess, he’s only been out in the open for a week or so and was previously in a controlled environment, one that didn’t give him proper nutrients. It would explain how the shrooms have infested him so deeply while surface level signs are relatively minor. As much as I don’t want to, I’m going to need to find him again to figure out what the distortion is wrong with him. If the shrooms can take hold in humans... Well then everyone but me is in danger. I wish that would stop being the case.

Anyway, the actual trip to Pewter didn’t have anything of note, other than a couple zombies I had to run from. Look, I’m not going to risk my team unless necessary, and I think a few infected bugs and Rattata aren’t anything to worry about. The gym meanwhile was very eventful. So you know how gym badges slightly buff the stats of your Pokemon? That buff isn’t very slight to infected.

“Above, may I ask why you have allowed this to exist?” Asclepius had managed to sneak inside of the gym easily enough, but he wasn’t going to be able to sneak around it as well. He needed to get the gym badge, but someone had called dibs on it already, an infected Charmeleon. Embedded in its chest was the Boulder Badge, an octagonal stone twinkling in the moonlight poking through the holes in the gym’s roof and the flickering ceiling lights. Sprouting out from the badge were the parasitic mushrooms, engulfing the Charmeleon’s torso and creating a sort of harness for the badge. Then the wings. Maybe it knew what the Charmeleon was destined to evolve into, or some natural mutation, but the plague had granted the Charmeleon with its own set of wings; grotesque limbs a mix of torn flesh, bones from other Pokemon that were forcefully shoved into the fire type’s back and used as scaffolding, and held together with the death denying decomposers, but still wings. And worse of all they actually worked.

The infected Pokemon flew up and circled around the gym looking for Asclepius. He had to fight off an infected Delibird outside the gym which alerted the now flying monstrosity. He could try shooting it, but if the badge was powerful enough to give it functioning wings, a couple bullets may not do the trick. His team could fight, but it would be close. Three were flyers, but Arugula had a type disadvantage and Paniki wasn’t exactly a powerhouse, but maybe as a distraction the latter could help. Asclepius formulated his plan and got into a dark area of the gym and waited. Once the Charmeleon had passed overhead Asclepius released Paniki, Wawayu, and KFC.

“Zub, Supersonic to confuse then get away. Woop, stay hidden and try to get shots in where you can. Torch, Focus Energy, get your critical rate up and stay by me.” With his orders given the team split. Paniki flew in the shadows as the Charmeleon continued its circling and once the infected was in range, Paniki let out a horrible screech and dived away. The Charmeleon let out a roar in rage and quickly followed downwards to give chase. Wawayu poked his head out of some rubble and tried to shoot a Water Gun, but missed, now becoming the new focus of the Charmeleon’s wrath. It spit out a ball of goop that burst into a Smokescreen once it hit the rocks below. Paniki now forgotten, the Charmeleon waited above until the small blue Pokemon waddled out of the smog and dive bombed, mouth open ready to take a bite out of Wawayu.

“HEY!” Asclepius shouted and raised his gun. The Charmeleon held up its wings for a shield as the gun fired and the bullet punched through the membrane and into its eye. Flame shot out of its mouth as it roared in pain and rammed into Asclepius, sending the both of them through the gym’s crumbling wall into the darkness outside.

Shit Asclepius thought to himself I still got two bullets, but a gunshot on top of the wall breaking would be too much noise outside, I don’t want to attract a horde. .... I can still mele this.

He slowly got up and spotted KFC in the newly made gym exit then signaled for the Torchic to wait. The Charmeleon pulled itself as things got wrenched back into place. The impact had done a fair bit of damage and it was still repairing itself, so it kept its distance. Asclepius took a step to the left and the infected took one to its own, keeping its existing eye facing him. He continued circling until the Charmeleon had its back to KFC and snapped his fingers. KFC rushed forward and swung his talons at the zombie and sliced off one of its wings with a critical hit. The Charmeleon didn’t waste time expressing pain and grabbed KFC before he could run and slammed the smaller Fire type into the ground. Asclepius couldn’t shoot his gun, but he could still use it and threw it at the infected, hitting it between the eye and what used to be the other eye. The Charmeleon was thrown off balance for a moment, and KFC took the opportunity and grabbed the badge in its beak and blew an Ember to help rip it out of its harness. With its power source gone, the infected Pokemon could only let out a muffled groan as it slowly fell apart and collapsed in a half-dissolved heap of sludge and bone. KFC limped over to Asclepius presenting the badge. He took it and pulled out his Pokedex to check on the Torchic’s condition. “One hp, that was a close one you had there, wasn’t it?” KFC let out a weary chip and Asclepius recalled him into his ball. With the badge obtained, Asclepius’ work here was done so he walked back into the gym to retrieve his other Pokemon and head back to the Pokecenter.a

Wawayu and Paniki are both fine, if a bit spooked. KFC got hurt the most, but with my blood he just needs a night’s rest and he’ll be back to fighting condition. He’s also the closest to evolving, so I’ll keep an eye on him for when that happens. Tomorrow will be for getting to Cerulean, and I heard there was a good tech guy named Bill who was living around up there. If possible I’ll see if he’s still around and/or alive. He could help establish communications once we get access to the League, and maybe help me with my... theories. At least he’ll give me another living person to talk to.
.... Above, I’m lonely.

DistortionLocke

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Anxious, sweet-toothed writer who hides amongst the papers. Only attacks when provoked.
Color me intrigued by this premise! I like the ideas and concepts you got going on here and the way you approached the gym battle.

I honestly felt bad for Gary for a moment, until he did the ear-rape thing...😑

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
This ghost is happy with food, rest, quiet and cuddles. They may try to be edgy or mysterious, but are often told that they present as the opposite.
The place was made to be self-sufficient so it could function as a place for people to both live and work without needing to leave the site. I’m uncertain as to why, but I imagine it has something to do with the famed League work ethic.
the League is like these graduate scheme jobs sad;kfjdsjkf they will of course give you free showers and nap rooms, how nice! ...so you can stay there more without excuses to leave ;p free coffee? to make its workers even more productive slkdfhsdjk at least here it proves slightly useful
Panic ensues, and everyone gets carried away in its shriek.
okay i love this line so so much
The shrooms will overtake a mon that fully evolves, so the dex’s ability to suppress evolutions is the only way I can keep my team safe
i love how things like the dex and the badge buffs are used so far, these are really creative! a lot of people just leave them out of stories entirely, but this way of looking at them is really neat
Next is Paniki the Zubat. I will be honest in saying that I don’t have many plans for it. If I’m lucky I won’t have to worry about preventing it becoming a Crobat. Interpret that as you will.
oh noooooo DDD: also whomst is A...okay I;m not going to spell that - Paean referring to here? Is he writing to someone??
Now you may have noticed that my team has a bit of a naming theme to it. And in case you’re wondering, no they’re not my backup food supply, I don’t actually need to eat, but they are on the menu.

I did not inform Oak about this.
this run is literally like a rollercoaster ride kakhfdsjkfhd so many shocking things like this are just thrown out casually because they seem casual to the narrator (also i can see why Oak had no idea about this ;p)
“Tell me, Heal-er,” The figure, ignoring the fact that he was dead, spoke. “Do you have a cure for this?” It was Gary Oak, grandson of the professor, and Champion of Kanto. Now the first case of a human infected.
hello you ever just see a bunch of shocking lines come together for an epic effect? this is what this is asljfhidslf
he’s only been out in the open for a week or so and was previously in a controlled environment, one that didn’t give him proper nutrients.
a controlled environment? that makes me think of a lab for some reason, honestly... is this Paean's way of talking about any home environment, or does this mean something more?
So you know how gym badges slightly buff the stats of your Pokemon? That buff isn’t very slight to infected.
i should say it may be worth checking for some typos or corrections in the latest chapter (for example: "that buff isn't very slight to the infected" might make more sense here)

Uberle

Lur King
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
slightly early for reasons, but here we gooooooooooo

@DistortionLocke Thank you! Hope that I can keep your attention and deliver.
You must forgive Gary, he's not quite himself currently

@sky_ 'ello and welcome to this run
I do not blame you for going with Paean. It took me a bit to memorize "Asclepius"
And if this is a rollarcoaster get ready for a loopdaloop
Yeah I had quite a bit of fun with those lines and they all go together quite well

I ran into Gary Oak again. But it turns out, that’s not who he is anymore.

“Tabes.”
“... Excuse me?” Gary Oak stood on the bridge leading to the route north of Cerulean. When he first appeared Asclepius drew his gun immediately, but didn’t fire.
“That’s my name, I’ve de-ci-ded,” Tabes took a seat on the bridge steps. His speech was smoother, but there was a noticeable pause between syllables at points. “If you are the god of healing and med-i-cine, then that would make me the em-bod-i-ment of plague. I mean yes, Ascl-Asclef- damn it.” Tabes worked his jaw a bit.
“Asclepius,” Hearing that, Tabes snapped and pointed finger guns.
“Yes, that, sorry that, I’m still not used to having a mouth and tongue. Do you ever become aware of your tongue? Just a lump of flesh sitting there pressing against the inside, it’s weird when you think about it- Wait I’m rambling.” Tabes stood up and walked down the rest of the steps. “Where was I- right, your namesake. Yours is Greek, but mine is Roman. I wanted to go for the Greek version, keep the theme going, but I couldn’t find it in here,” He tapped his, Gary’s, head. “Hey do you know it by chance?”
“It’s Phthisis.”
“Oh wow, yeah Roman was the way to go.”
“What the hell are you?!” Asclepius was out of patience. What was in front of him was the Champion, the supposed hero of the region, now dead but not. “Where have you been during all of this?”
“I’ll answer those in reverse if that’s ok. I’ve been hiding because so far human in-ter-ac-tion hasn’t been treating me kindly,” Tabes was slow on pronouncing the longer word. “Until you that is.”
“I shot you”
“Yeah, but that’s better than screaming and running away like a little bitch. Also getting shot is ob-vi-ous-ly not that big of a deal for me.”
“.... Wait,” Asclepius paused and observed Tabes. He started walking and the two circled each other until they were back in their original positions. Tabes still moved awkwardly, but nowhere near as bad as before. “Before you could barely stand, what happened?”
“What happened is why I say I rather liked our in-ter-ac-tion,” Tabes pulled out a vial from his pocket and shook it a little. It was the vial of Asclepius’ blood that was stolen before. “See I’ve had time to rack this brain of Oak’s for every bit of data it had, and there was just the smallest bit about you. Like how your blood could be used as e-mer-gen-cy healing, and this body is falling apart, so I had nothing to lose. And what do you know, it worked.”
“... You’re not Gary,” At first Tabes’ words made no sense to Asclepius, but seeing his own blood and the roots finally made it click. “You’re the damn shrooms.”
“I thought my name and a-ppear-ance made that ob-vio-us, no?” Tabes lifted his shirt to show where Asclepius shot him, the wound now covered in the same green roots as his empty eye. “The guy who was in this body, Gary, died a while ago. As a bit of a test I was then in-tro-duced to his body, force-ful-ly, and the one in a mil-li-on chance meant I got to own this now.”
“What do you mean ‘introduced’?”
“Oh? Do you really want to know?” Tabes swirled the vial of blood around. “Then I’m going to need some more of this. I need this body to live, and the only thing cap-a-ble of fixing it is your blood.”
“..... I don’t care enough to take that bargain,” Asclepius lowered his gun slightly. “But I still have a question. Before you had an infected Whismer, how did you control it?”
“Oh Earrape?” Hearing its name, the small pink Pokemon hopped out of a bush. “There you are, bud,” Tabes pulled out a chunk of something to offer as a snack as his Pokemon approached.
“..... That’s what you actually called it?”
“Hey, end of the world, Healer, you need to find humor where you can,” Tabes picked up Earrape and turned it to face Asclepius who raised his gun up again in case of an attack. “Lower that, you’re scaring him.”
“After last time, I don’t think I will.”
“Doesn’t your arm get tired?”
“No.”
“Your healing is in-cred-i-ble bullshit, you know that?” Earrape started to quiver so Tabes pulled out a Pokeball and recalled the Whismer. “Don’t want him to rudely in-terr-upt. Back to the question, I can sort of control them. I need to have the plague that carries my conscious o-ver-ride theirs, but it’s poss-i-ble, you see-” Tabes stopped and redirected the conversation to his preferred topic. “A-po-lo-gies, but your free trial has ex-pi-red, please pay your sub-scrip-tion fee if you want to learn more,” Tabes held out a hand for a vial of blood, but only got a bullet in the throat. He clutched his neck as green ooze trickled out. Asclepius kept his gun trained on Tabes as the zombie stumbled back onto the bridge, holding the railing for support. What was expected was a look of anger, but instead Asclepius saw a filthy grin with a wheezing sound meant to be a laugh as Tabes half jumped half fell over the railing and into the river below with a splash. By the time Asclepius ran over to look, the undead champion was gone.

I want to be more eloquent with how I’m feeling but “fuck” kinda fits my general mood into a nice compact syllable. The trip to Bill’s house wasn’t that great either. Relatively quiet, but there were an uncomfortable amount of human bodies along the way. And after searching some of the more complete ones, I feel like I’ve stumbled into a conspiracy that I would rather not be involved with. Several of them had on a uniform of sorts, there was variation but all shared the same logo, a large red R in the middle. I couldn’t tell before, but that R is definitely the mark Tabes had on his clothes before. The bad news kept rolling, with Bill’s house being empty. Looks like he left a while ago, but something else had snuck in, and it was quite territorial.
Painiki got in its path, and that was that.
I am not going into detail about anything else, you can take a guess.
Also note to self, Poison types need extra preparation unless I want to be incredibly uncomfortable for a few minutes.
Evolutions occurred and fortune was with me there. KFC and Arugula evolved and a newcomer Pancake the Lotad safely became a Lombre. I still don’t know what decides if an evolution causes an infection takeover or not, but I now have some of my own to check on later. I’m not quite ready for the gym just yet. I still need to train some more and maybe see what I can salvage from the houses around here.
I’ve heard that the Cerulean gym is entirely a swimming pool, and given what the first gym was like I need to make a plan before heading in.
It’s not going to be fun.

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
This ghost is happy with food, rest, quiet and cuddles. They may try to be edgy or mysterious, but are often told that they present as the opposite.
this really is a loop-the-loop huh sdffjklhk
Several of them had on a uniform of sorts, there was variation but all shared the same logo, a large red R in the middle. I couldn’t tell before, but that R is definitely the mark Tabes had on his clothes before. The bad news kept rolling, with Bill’s house being empty. Looks like he left a while ago, but something else had snuck in, and it was quite territorial.
so aside from Tabes here being creepy af... Gary Oak was a member of Rocket before this?? what??? is this a Thing sdlkfj;dskl
Also note to self, Poison types need extra preparation unless I want to be incredibly uncomfortable for a few minutes.
oh goodness, wow sdkjlfhdsjkf what on earth was that territorial thing in there, also awwww poor Painiki

did the other Pokemon react that much to seeing one of their own being - well - infected and eaten? poor beans sakdjs

DistortionLocke

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
Anxious, sweet-toothed writer who hides amongst the papers. Only attacks when provoked.
Do you ever become aware of your tongue? Just a lump of flesh sitting there pressing against the inside, it’s weird when you think about it-

I hadn’t until NOW. THANKS, I HATE IT.

“It’s Phthisis.”
“Oh wow, yeah Roman was the way to go.”
Yeah, seriously. Wtf...

“The guy who was in this body, Gary, died a while ago. As a bit of a test I was then in-tro-duced to his body, force-ful-ly, and the one in a mil-li-on chance meant I got to own this now.”
“What do you mean ‘introduced’?”
“Oh? Do you really want to know?” Tabes swirled the vial of blood around. “Then I’m going to need some more of this. I need this body to live, and the only thing cap-a-ble of fixing it is your blood.”
“..... I don’t care enough to take that bargain,”

But I do, Asclepius! This screams government conspiracy!

as Tabes half jumped half fell over the railing and into the river below with a splash.

Just had the horrifying image of Tabes just...crawling over the bridge like a spider pop up in my head, so thanks for that >.>

I want to be more eloquent with how I’m feeling but “fuck” kinda fits my general mood into a nice compact syllable.

The story of my life.

No, not Paniki! 😩😭

And seconding @sky_, was Gary part of Rocket beforehand, or did Tabes just slap on the uniform later because it liked how it looked?

Uberle

Lur King
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
Me ten seconds ago
I feel like I'm forgetting somethin- OH NO

@sky_ You'll have to wait and see to figure that out
Asclepius didn't stick around to see what was in there, and also made sure his other Pokemon weren't out of their balls when he was.... adapting

@DistortionLocke Actually took the tongue thing from Peanuts and figured it would fit a character who wasn't human yet had one's body
Asclepius has to deal with a bunch of zombies, he'd rather not get too involved in whatever process created Tabes

My prediction from earlier was correct
I wouldn't even refer to the events as fun in the most bitterly sarcastic tone

The gym was scummy. Green muk covered the surface of the pool making it impossible to see if anything was lurking below. The walkways leading to the center pedestal were mostly clear of any growth, at least the ones that were still intact were so Asclepius stuck to them as best he could. When he got to the pedestal he looked around the gym. Other than the walkways there wasn’t anything of note, just a lot of plague infested water.

Then he looked up.

Something fell on his face and fortunately he fell back onto the platform instead of in the water and managed to grab a pokeball and click the button to release Drumstick. The Spearow immediately let out a cry and started pecking at the serpent-like thing on Asclepius’ face. Soon it stopped moving and Asclepius was able to see his attacker. It was a Dratini, infected but only recently. There was the plague turning its veins green, but no serious growths. He looked at the rest of the dragon’s body and found something unusual, a small needle at the base of its skull, right into its spinal cord. Uncertain for a moment, he turned his attention to the pool and released Wawayu. “Water Gun the surface, try to break up the gunk,” The Wooper nodded and sprayed fresh water into the pool. The scum cleared away surprisingly easily and after the water settled Asclepius could see into it.

And what was under the surface saw him.

He shoved Wawayu out of view as a metal cylinder broke the surface and shot something at him. A second later Asclepius found himself against the back wall of the gym, a harpoon crudely constructed out of a metal pole having punctured his torso and pinned him ten feet above water level. He was still conscious, but the projectile punctured his lung so he couldn’t get air to shout anything out. Wawayu stayed hidden behind the pedestal but Drumstick was in plain view and had no want to hide. She screeched and flew at what had surfaced but it only submerged, the scum quickly flooding back to block the surface once again.

Asclepius tried to think of what he could do. Sliding himself off the harpoon wasn’t an option yet, he’d just fall into the water and become prey for the monster underneath. He’s healing was good, but it wouldn’t be very proactive to just sit and wait for the infected to get tired of ripping him apart. So he would need to rely on his Pokemon to somehow find a way to steal the badge or get him off the harpoon without falling into the water. In the middle of his thinking, Asclepius saw the surface break as another metal tube poked out and opened fire, not another harpoon, but several small projectiles. The pipe, or rather what it was mounted on, turned in a circle to spray the entire gym. Asclepius heard a swak and saw that a couple of the projectiles had hit Drumstick and watched as her body started to take on a green hue and her eyes whited out. The projectiles were the same darts he found on the Dratini, and Drumstick had just been infected by them.

And now she was going to do as the zombies tended to do; feast. Asclepius hung still and was wearing dark clothing in the shadows. Wawayu was a quivering blue blob surrounded by white and green. Asclepius blocked his eyes and ears for the next couple minutes.

When he opened his eyes again, he was greeted by the now fully infected Drumstick perched on the shrapnel going through his chest with fresh blood on her beak. He moved to grab his gun, but Drumstick noticed and attacked his hand. So he grabbed her instead and squeezed until he heard bones snap and he let her drop into the water below. She slapped the water with her fractured wings and screeched in undead fury. She managed to flurry her way close to a platform but didn’t think to look down. Asclepius finally got a good look at what had claimed two of his Pokemon as it shot up and out of the water for a meal. A teardrop shaped badge in its forehead and the same shape painted onto the back of its shell identified what it was. A Blastoise, one that had been trained and used by the gym’s former leader, now ruled over the building and the badge allowed it to retain its intelligence. It probably even improved since it knew how to create and utilize weapons.

Asclepius reached to his Pokeballs and clicked one open, summoning Arugula to his side. The Skiploom had seen what had happened and still had tears in his eyes but looked to his trainer for what to do. Asclepius couldn’t speak coherently, so he removed the cloth covering the lower part of his face and mouthed ‘poison’. Arugula nodded and got to work, sprinkling Poison Powder all around the gym. It took a while, but thanks to Poison Powder’s high move limit the fungi that covered the area had a fine layer of purple on it.

Asclepius was really starting to feel the fatigue of his constant healing, so this part had to be done quickly. He grabbed another Pokeball and mouthed ‘bait’ to it and handed it to Arugula to carry to the pedestal and drop it down, releasing Pancake the Lombre. Pancake looked up at Asclepius and then down at the splatterings of Wawayu, not feeling particularly jolly. But he knew that his trainer was the best chance of survival so channeled the aura of the area into a Nature Power-Surf and created an opening in the poisoned algae which Arugula circled above. After a moment the Blastoise erupted from the gap to try and snap at Pancake, but the Lombre simply hit the button on his Pokeball and recalled himself to avoid the rushing goliath. Arugula was waiting above and sprinkled a heavy dose of Sleep Powder down and after a moment, the Blastoise tried to dive back into the water, but only collapsed on the pedestal and fell into a slumber. Arugula didn’t stop spouting the sleeping aid as he drifted down and grabbed hold of the badge and after a couple tugs, yanked it free and flew away. The loss of its enhancements immediately awoke the Blastoise, but since it was now only an average zombie struggling under Sleep Power’s affects it could only stumble forward and collapse into the poisoned scum which ate away at the weakened turtle as it thrashed until falling apart and sinking down into the pool for the final time.

[FONT=Palatino, Palatino Linotype, Palatino LT STD, Book Antiqua, Georgia, serif]It took me about twenty minutes to work myself off that hunk of metal. I had been on it for so long, I had started to heal around it, so everything that got fixed had to be rebroken again. Don’t ask about having to swim through highly toxic zombie plague algae. Pancake and Arugula were both fine afterwards, though I sense distrust from the former. Once I got back to the town’s Pokecenter I just collapsed. Healing this much for so long takes a large amount of energy that my body and power don’t want to put towards being conscious. It’s a bit silly, I am only hindered by a harpoon through my torso, yet I have no defense against simple exhaustion. [/FONT]
I think my next stop is Vermillion, after I get and train up replacements for Drumstick and Wawayu.
.... Don’t even have something to bury from those two. But now’s not the time to mourn. That’ll come when everyone holed up in Pallet Town is safe. I can’t waste time until I have time to waste. Now if you don’t mind me, I still need to sleep off this impalement.

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Ghost
  2. Normal
Pokédex Entry
...the only thing I can think to say is "ouch" daljfhdsjk that looked painful

that Blastoise suddenly being this threat in the water was terrifying and the part where the Badge boosted intelligence? so it could use weapons? even more terrifying, wow dsjkfhdskj also oh dear... the zombie thing strikes, that part where the poor small Wooper was being eaten just - asudsafyasiu oh dear...

DistortionLocke

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
I don’t know what I expected from the gym, but “getting impaled by a Blastoise’s harpoon” was definitely not it.

Pancake and Arugula were both fine afterwards, though I sense distrust from the former.

I’m sure that won’t come back to bite him at all.

It’s a bit silly, I am only hindered by a harpoon through my torso, yet I have no defense against simple exhaustion.

Dude, just be glad you ain’t dead 😑

.... Don’t even have something to bury from those two. But now’s not the time to mourn.

😭

Uberle

Lur King
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
Pokédex Entry
OH WAIT RIGHT TUESDAY

Moving along

@sky_ Ouch fits it
Yeah that update was definitely the most horror so far
So imagine what fun this one will be!

@DistortionLocke I had so much fun coming up with the idea for that Blastoise fight
No biting shall occur. Other things maybe
Asclepius doesn't really think "Thank Above I'm not dead". He's incredibly hard to kill for a species that is already really hard to kill.
cry

Adding to a list of places I didn’t think I’d end up; a ghost ship.
I got to Vermilion well enough and decided to scope out the gym. It was completely empty, no signs of any infected being around recently. Unfortunately there was also a missing badge. And in its place there was a note.

Hey there, Healer
Did some quick maths, and figured out that you must be trying to get some badges to unlock the League’s front door. Having the Champion’s body and bits of memories has its benefits. I’ll be brief, I have the Tunder Badge. If you look outside you’ll see a big ass boat. Get on it, find me, and I’ll be willing to make a trade.
-Tabes

The SS Anne. The flagship of the plague. It was on this ship that the first infected Pokemon arrived in Kanto. Some mad scientist guy or someone equally deranged tried to get some infected into the region to experiment on them. Then a thief decided to break into the cargo hold and check what he could loot. One misclick of a Pokeball later and you can guess how that goes. The panic caused the ship to ram into the port rather than park, so now it’s just sitting there half submerged in the ocean, but there were enough broken windows for me to crawl through to get in.
Some navigation, back tracking, and avoiding rooms with suspicious sounds later I finally found the captain’s cabin and Tabes. He was in bad shape, but nothing that should’ve been from natural decay.
Turns out things were about to get a lot worse.

“You know, this is the first time one of our meetings didn’t start with you pulling out your gun, and I a-ppre-ci-ate that.”
“Give it time.”
“Fair enough.”
“So what happened to you and where’s the badge?” Asclepius gestured to Tabes’ current state. The undead’s throat was mostly healed, with a big green splotch where the bullet entered, but that was the only improvement. His legs were broken and bent at odd angles, and his left arm hung limp at his side. Only his right arm was mostly working, and it seemed to have lost its ring and pinky finger. Tabes was looking pale even for an infected, his human host barely hanging on. Earrape was now a Loudred and managed to get his master to the office. It’s timidness hadn’t improved so the Pokemon was hiding behind a desk keeping an eye on Asclepius’ weapon.
“Both have the same answer funn-i-ly enough. See I was going to wait for you here, buuuuut then an infected snuck up on me and broke my kneecaps along with the rest of my legs. Also might have poss-i-bly, perhaps, taken the badge and is now even stronger,” Tabes shrunk a bit into himself as he explained that last part.
“What species?”
“Hit-mon-lee. Spring limbs guy.”
“.... I can work with that,” Asclepius turned to walk out the door and find the Hitmonlee.
“Hey, wait! I can help!” Tabes shouted from his spot on the floor. “I just need some healing is all.”
“And what do I gain from this?”
“A friendly trav-el-ing com-pan-ion?” Asclepius walked out the door ignoring Tabes’ shouts this time. The Hitmonlee was going to be an issue, but so long as he doesn’t call out his Pokemon he can at least get an idea of what he’s up against and come back later.

In short, what I was up against was a steel bricked wall. The badge has given the Hitmonlee a massive speed boost and with its arms and legs being literal springs, I can’t get close to it or even point my gun without getting punched through the nearest wall. And trust me, I made several attempts to see if there was a weakness. The only one I could figure out is that it hits hardest when attacking in a straight line, so having multiple targets isn’t its forte. But even then, there are problems. First off whoever is getting attacked needs to be insanely quick or insanely tough, because that thing hits hard. So I’m going to need someone more expendable.

“Here,” Asclepius stuck a vial of blood in Tabes’ mouth. “Just drink and listen,” Tabes tipped his head back to drink and made a noise that sounded like ‘ok’. “I’m gonna need you to lure the Hitmonlee inside the ship, we need to keep it confined. In the halls we can ambush it from around corners and by hiding in empty rooms. I can get hit, but it’ll take about five seconds for me to have healed enough to stand back up, maybe ten depending on where I’m hit. I’ll give you more blood to heal if you get hit, but it’ll take longer for you to get back up. Obviously Earrape can’t take a hit, and I doubt any of my Pokemon could either, so we need to be careful. Do you understand?”

“So I’m gonna be the bait?” Tabes said around the vial. “In exchange for how much blood?”

“I’ll give you three for this fight and if I get the badge I’ll give you two more after, that should last you a while.”

“...... Sure. Just keep Earrape safe, or else I’m di-tch-ing you,” The Loudred stomped his foot to signal that he was against his master’s wants but Tabes patted his head and said. “I’m not losing you, buddy.”

“So long as he stays in here, no danger should come to him. Now go,” Tabes got up shakely, the blood still healing him, and walked out the door. Once he left and Earrape was safely behind a desk Asclepius called out KFC. The hallways were too narrow for Arugula to try and fly around and Pancake didn’t have the greatest moveset at the moment, so KFC would have to do. “It’s fast, so once you see it wind up, get out of its line of sight. Try to hide somewhere so if it extends its limbs past you, you can cut it.” KFC gave a squawk of understanding and ran over to an empty room to hide in. Asclepius stood in the middle of the hall and waited for Tabes. He heard screams and crashing getting closer and pulled out his gun. He lifted the weapon and waited. At the end of the hall a brown shape attached to a green spring shot out and embedded itself in the wall and retracted just as fast. A second later Tabes turned the corner and ran down the hall, tripping and falling down part way to Asclepius.

Then the Hitmonlee itself stepped into view. It looked like a normal infected, with only its springs showing any sign of unusually active infection. Then its punch came and Asclepius felt his ribs break as he flew down the hallway, with only previous experience being the reason he was still able to register what happened. While his chest was mending itself he heard a screech and felt something splatter on him. He managed to sit up in time to see the Hitmonlee reel its right spring arm back and run away. KFC had taken the opportunity to Cut the Hitmonlee’s arm, and liberated it of its hand. But KFC hadn’t thought of the idea all the way through. When he sliced off the hand, blood thick with infection went everywhere, and he was right in front of the spray. “TORCH!” Asclepius ran over to the Combusken. “No no no, please no…” But it was too late. The infected blood had coated KFC and early signs of infection were showing already, and KFC looked at his trainer with resignation. “... Tabes, you said you can control the infected, can you do it now?”

“Uh,” Tabes tossed a freshly emptied vial over his shoulder. “Oh, um yeah. You.. You really want me to....?”

“I need Torch to finish this, and he’s already lost to infection, but not all the way. I’ll give you four vials, just possess him before that thing comes back.”

“Step aside, Healer, let me work my magic!” Tabes shooed Asclepius away and stuck his fingers in his mouth. A moment later and Tabes retched as green gunk poured out of his mouth to cover KFC. Asclepius worked to prevent his own retching as the gunk was absorbed into the Pokemon and infection took complete hold. With a direct comparison, he noticed that Tabes’ specific version of the plague was a darker green. That’ll be useful to take note of what Pokemon he’s managed to take over. KFC stood up and looked between Tabes and Asclepius, unsure of who he should be listening to. “Listen to Healer for now, Com-bus-ken,” KFC nodded and stood still at Asclepius’ side.

“...... Ok, it’s down a hand. It’ll probably be even more aggressive, so be on guard,” H ordered. Fortunately there was a trail of green blood on the ground for them to follow. It led the group to another hallway of rooms at the back of the ship. Unlike the previous hallway, there were no windows so only the flickering overhead lights provided illumination. “Stay back,” Asclepius held up a hand to stop the other two and walked slowly into the hall. He looked around, trying to see if any doors had been opened or had any sounds coming from behind them. He crouched down to check the blood trail again, and realized that it suddenly stopped in the middle of the hall, ending in a small pool. Then another drop hit the ground next to it. Asclepius didn’t even have time to look up as a foot slammed down on his back sending him through the floor, several pipes and wires, the ceiling of the floor below, and seriously dent the metal table he slammed into.

The following shouting and scrambling from above meshed together into a blur as Asclepius waited for his bones and organs to knit themselves back together. He had about ten seconds until he could move, but he could still look around. He was in a kitchen that was relatively intact. Pots, pans, and various utensils were scattered everywhere, and the fridges were wide open. Any food they may have held was taken long ago by either escapees or scavengers.

Once he could stand up, Asclepius decided to test something and turned on the stoves. A hiss let out and he could smell gas. He turned on all the burners and ran out of the kitchen to find stairs back above. If he could just get the Hitmonlee down here he could blow it up easily. He might also take out the back half of the ship, but that’ll be dealt with in due time.

Asclepius found the stairs up and hurried to find Tabes and KFC. Unfortunately he ran into the Hitmonlee first and barely managed to duck a punch. The infected Pokemon wasn’t taking any chances this time. Asclepius ran around a corner, back towards the stairs, and heard more crashing behind him. A quick glance showed that the Hitmonlee tried to kick him through the walls, but no line of sight meant poor accuracy, so the only thing it had to go off of was guesswork and sound. “Healer!” oh no.

“Tabes, quiet,” Asclepius whisper-shouted and ducked as another kick flew from behind the walls. “It’s frustrated enough to resort to kicking without knowing where we are.”

“You have a plan then?” Tabes and KFC both lay flat on the ground as a couple more kicks came. “By the way, could-n’t you have just stayed still? We ran down then back up and then all a-round.”

“I have a plan, and no. We need to get it down into the kitchen. I was kicked into it earlier and turned on the stoves, they’re gas fueled, so currently the kitchen is a bomb.”

“Ok how are we get-ting it in there?”

“Simple. Run.” Asclepius stood up and started stomping on the ground.

“Run?” Tabes looked at him like he was insane. Asclepius ignored Tabes and kept stomping until a foot shot through a cabin door and embedded him in a wall. As he got hit, Asclepius grabbed the foot and managed to keep a grip on it until the Hitmonlee decided to crash through the door to get its foot back. “Run-ning!” Once Tabes and KFC got a headstart, Asclepius went limp and held his breath, hoping to fool it into thinking he was finally down. The Hitmonlee retracted its foot but didn’t chase. Instead it stared at Asclepius for a moment and then brought its foot back. It had learned its lesson by now. Asclepius was forced through more layers of wood, glass, and metal, then through the hull and out of the ship.

Asclepius had seconds, so he did what he could. He managed to take a breath and pray that Tabes would be able to hold out before hitting the ocean’s surface. He managed to keep the air in at the impact and took a quick guess at his injuries. Ribs were definitely broken again, but were already mending and none had punctured his lungs. His limbs were fine, except for his left arm which had a metal scrap through it, but it could still move. He floated up to the surface and looked for the shoreline. He had been forced out the side of the ship, so it was visible, but with the current and distance it would take a while and he didn’t have that much time. Right now his best hope would be to get to shore and get back on the ship as quickly as he could.

He wasn’t even close when the kitchen exploded.

Good news, Tabes actually pulled it off. He lured the thing into the kitchen and had KFC use an Ember to blow it up. They only got it in the room because KFC copied me and refused to let go of a limb, dragging it in and then decided to take them both out. So KFC’s name ended up being fairly accurate. While the room was trashed, it was still simple enough to scavenge and recover bodies and the badge.

Tabes lost a hand, Hitmonlee punched it off, but apparently he doesn’t mind having a sharp bone poking out of his wrist. He referred to it as a shank and stabbed me with it. So I only gave him two extra blood vials. That’s all he’s getting from me. He’s human but he’s still an infected, and even I can’t save that body forever. Sooner or later Gary Oak’s body will decay and that’ll be the end of Tabes.

But I still have the question of where he started. All I have to go off of was that uniform he had on when we first encountered each other. I still don’t know what the pattern on his chest means, probably a sort of company logo given the bodies back in Cerulean. I’d ask Tabes but I’m not going to let him know I’m curious. Someone kidnapped the champion and turned him into that. I feel like an RPG protagonist. I have the main quest, unlock the League, but now I’ve started a rather lengthy sidequest. And why do I think that it’s one that leads to the secret ending?

DistortionLocke

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Ghost
Pokédex Entry
No, not KFC!

But I gotta say, I’m living for the hilarious dynamic between Paean and Tabes:
“You know, this is the first time one of our meetings didn’t start with you pulling out your gun, and I a-ppre-ci-ate that.”
“Give it time.”
“Fair enough.” 🤣

Faleep

Artist
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
  1. Normal
  2. ???
Pokédex Entry
Alright, I’m finally caught up with this run, and I just want to say I’m loving the direction it’s going. This is both hilarious and horrible, in a horror/gruesome way. I love what you’re doing with the badges and the Pokémon, I love how you’re making each death unique in its own horrible way. This is some good shit

Users who are viewing this thread