Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
Yyyyeah, so as it turns out all of the fun new additions Plusle added with the identities gave the crew an insane advantage. The lie detecting abilities were especially broken, particularly with how Don't Be Fooled allowed us to catch Calendar in a lie that literally everyone got to see. Giving Kirby the opportunity to kinda sorta play against his side didn't help either.
GG but not really, Gnosia were kind of screwed as soon as Floatzel and I realized we could confirm which Engineer claim was real with 100% accuracy using Don't Be Fooled in conjunction with Say You're Human (though we only needed the first).
we seem to have crushed them. heh, how weak they are. either way, the curtain has been drawn. now let this end.
honestly if this exact setup was run again (with a few tweaks to the lying system, it's way too easy to catch liars and it could do with the chance to discover liars being like halved) I think the results would be different. like it was definitely very village-sided this time, but next time? who knows?
also ac follower not counter claiming at all kinda fucked mafia up lol (as well as kirby just taking the free win and ditching maf)
and bug fucked up by claiming, especially when it seemed more like the claim was an afterthought and not, like, a serious claim
don't be fooled was definitely a little strong.
I did have a lot of fun though, this setup was unique and with some tweaks I'd like to see it run regularly it also broke my vanillager streak so that made things much more fun
maybe one day I'll run the unhinged edition after all
The full plan we hatched on night 1, for those curious:
As it turns out, it wouldn't have worked on AC Follower since the Bug ended up dying, but it didn't matter because Calendar made a huge post that contained a lie in there somewhere. But this does show just how busted Don't Be Fooled is.
That was a clean sweep if I’ve ever seen one. One Gnosia ran away with the free win, one got caught in a lie, and the other two called it quits. Highlights include being a cat, somehow eliminating the Bug on what was essentially a random scan, and SweatingCalendar’s lie being caught. The Guard Duty was super big brain with that 10,000 IQ strategy and getting the doctor on my side was lucky. Then again, I didn’t even know Eevee claimed Doctor until someone told me lol.
Still don’t know who Guardian Angel or AC Follower is. I guess I’m glad Angel protected me. (Either that, or it was the ability).
Okay now that I can post in full, while I won't say this game was unwinnable for mafia it certainly wasn't winnable where I came in lol
One maf was a literal traitor, one was AFK, and the other two were bad liars
On top of this all the abilities were just huge benefits for village. I think Cirr should've withheld Say You're Human, although he realistically couldn't have hung onto it if village realized they could (and should) just all claim their identities; even once he's exposed, player can still steal his power because gnosia can't kill themselves so he has no way to exit the stage before Player grabs him and forces a round of Say You're Human to happen. There's also no way to bury an identity since dead people reveal identities, and we know that there is exactly one copy of each identity in the game....
Anyway reason for quitting was that, running off my scumhunt (which was fully genuine), village had 4 living uncontestable PRs and 3 people who were virtually unimpeachable by virtue of Say You're Human. There simply wasn't enough people to hide in even if village didn't have a cop.
Also yeah we tried to NK sparkle. They didn't actually use their identity ability; it requires making a post completely unrelated to the game. But guardian angel noticed that too and made the bold play of acting on it. We kind of had to pray that guardian angel was Tailsimp anyway so we were screwed to begin with.
Yeah this game was a bit of a shitshow for mafia lmao. Once Kirby claimed Gnosia I panick claimed Engi cuz if we didn't CC Cop or Doc we were fucked. Cirr being Comet made them lying a death sentence, & Lharm being MIA D1 were less than ideal circumstances.
I think this game did an awesome job bringing over the flavor & feel of Gnosia to Nuzforum mafia. In hindsight I think the liar/intuition system needs to be tweaked. The game seems to have a similar issue as Floatzel's all PR game a few years back where the best play is for everybody to claim their identities in the thread & can one by one figure out who is def maf or village based on their stats & scenarios surrounding them (an easy example is having Shigemichi, Gina, & Comet all claim in the thread & then do Say Your Human, even not participating in the SYH for them is basically outing yourself as maf). I also don't know if the mafia should or shouldn't be able to discuss during the day, having it both be D1 out the gate & no communication means maf have can't really gameplan which might be too much of a disadvantage, tho this is the first game where this was a thing so idk how fair this critique is. Theres also many variables in this game so its possible there are strats or dynamics in this game that Im not thinking of that makes multiple or all of the critiques here invalid.
Good job to Floatzel & Zaa for baiting me lol. The entire bigpost I was typing that thinking "Oh god how tf am I gonna convince village to kill both the Engi & the basically soft cleared doc" & didn't even realize the don't be fooled in Floatz post & walked right into the trap xD
The shitposting with Mon after getting caught red handed was very cathartic and fun
Sorry Gnosia I hope at least 1 of you had a half decent time even though it was all panic all the time though I know it was really bad almost the entire time.
To recap a lot of what I already wrote on the sheet
- Pre-set up I was looking at things and noticing if I left all possible events in village would walk in with 4 confirmed clears in the 2 guard duty + Setsu + Jonas and Mafia had a suicider which was definitely not good, so I nipped it and just let Gina the Liar be the only event of the game (as those were the only two of them available with the set up the way it was). Kirby rolling Gina meant he was probably going to suicide no matter what I imagined Day 1 going very differently when I gave Gnosia both truther skills which could've been kept out of Village hands for a while if they obfuscated their identities a bit. This of course didn't happen because I had not given crew any reason not to immediately share who was who which I really should have thought of immediately given what I did to Danganronpa mafia 3, but I never think of these things until after I'm immersed in the experience that's just kinda how it works. I should've take it a step farther and given gnosia an extra member, but I wasn't super comfortable with the 9/5/2 split even with very strong village core of Floatzel/Zaa when I wasn't sure how strong Say You're Human was. 9/5/2 just seems extremely daunting for village to overcome on paper even if they had the tools necessary to do it.
- Eevee Shigemichi bug was probably extremely rude for him but I thought it was hilarious and thought if anyone could do it it would be Eevee so I rolled with it anyway. I think he could've gotten away with it if things were a teensy bit different but alas. It wasn't meant to be.
- Day 1 was kinda the mess I was hoping it to be, mafia doing a bit of the hot scramble of initiative on what to do and who to do it was really what the point of nixing daytime communication was all about, though I still wish they were more aggressive about the misinformation they were giving out. I do think cirr just starting up say you're human for free was a bit of a misplay even though I see the reasoning behind it, just because freely offering the insight and the ability for the player to echo it back at him was bad for him not matter how you slice it. Making village fight for it or at least getting a mislynch before it fires back is important. Especially given it caused Calendar to get caught lying twice really uh bit it big time. Also I'm 100% sure it framed Cirr as mafia since Gina being a bad liar and not getting caught lying by Chipie meant that Comet was not human, but Sparkle never picked up on this, so it was a bit of a moot point.
- Night 1 went just as bad given village disarmed the bug and Floatzel and Zaa came up with an extremely smart plan that I overlooked in my prep which was using Don't Be Fooled to solve a CC which was not a use I had anticipated either, again for reasons I'm not sure of. They also kill the AC follower and the engineer kills the bug which limited Calendar's capacity to lie severely.
- Day 2 was kinda fun in that plan coming together and working as intended was nice to see, but it also just continued to pound gnosia into the dirt as just enough people had corroborated the use of Don't Be Fooled for Zaa's Definite Enemy to stick at the time. LHarm continued to be inactive until around when Say You're Human ended which didn't give his sub a chance to respond which also sucked. The whole thing was fast approaching a checkmate situation with Anemone sitting pretty and clear on his yurikoan doctoral throne which soft cleared all the mediocre liars.
- Night 3 I figured the only way to give Gnosia a chance at all was to let them kill Sparklepop, so I came up with admittedly kinda flimsy justification for it, but I will defend to my dying breath, however ultimate it only served to further hinder the Gnosia as Wario protected Sparklepop in the last hour or two of the phase with no heed given to the idea that their Small Talk skill should've protected them, completely foiling any potential comeback. This was perhaps the biggest blow of all as it was the final nail in the Gnosia coffin because not only was it really not fun to be gnosia right now, but now I sold them into a losing situation because of a ruling I was mostly making to give them some semblance of a chance. It really sucked, I'm so sorry guys. Wario was just too big brain for me.
Overall, I was super excited to run this set up and I'm glad some people had some real fun with it. I know Cirr probably didn't and I know Doesn't certainly didn't, but I think most everyone who played managed to appreciate it for it was despite its flaws. I definitely want to run it again with some significant tweaks.
Something like the following:
- Say You're Human's time duration and chance to catch liars reduced by a lot, since I really didn't anticipate the soft clearing that happened when the bad liars didn't have to lie.
- Buffing Bug in a way that also discourages players from outright claiming identities. Maybe bug gets a night kill or something of that nature to help them succeed in their wincon.
- changing or adding new player events that don't have such strict alignment requirements to make it less of a puzzle game than a discussion game since I also didn't anticipate it and liked it even less.
The next edition will probably have even more going on, but this is coming back the next time I host I hope you're not dreading it.