• The Writer's Locke has returned for its second season! Catch its first episode here, replete with wider distribution, newer storylockes to listen to, and a discussion on the subject of reboots!
  • Drumroll please... The results for the 2020 Nuzforums Extravaganza are up! Congrats to all our participants and our winners this year for the 10th anniversary! #HappyNuzYear
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Kanto Written Log Teen GBB's Sixlocke Series - 01. Red [Currently on: Finale]

Thread Description
In which six random Pokémon are expected to somehow work together and win.

greenbeanbottle

My nuzlockes are beyond human understanding
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 1, 2020
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
He / Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Clever
Hey there folks, GBB here, long time Nuzlocker, first time poster here on the Nuzlocke forums.

As many of you likely have noticed and will generally agree, 2020 was a trash-tier year. I don't think anyone could have expected 2020 to turn out the way it has, but personally in between work and having existential crises every few days, I got to thinking about the different flaws of Nuzlockes (yeah real productive there GBB), and decided to make my own spin on the Nuzlocke using my somewhat-limited game hacking knowledge. Before I get into the rules, however, I would like to briefly talk about what led me here.

== BACKGROUND ==
With all the free time I had in the summer of 2020 I took to doing lots of Nuzlocke runs, and one thing that I noticed as I began my run is that most runs would feature the same key Pokémon. When I noticed this, I also came to think of the whole point behind Nuzlockes - taking your encounters as they came, using Pokémon that you got, rather than what you liked. But then, what stops someone from just boxing a Pokémon if you didn't want to use it? Or replacing a Pokémon with another better replacement? One thing that I really wanted to emphasize was being forced with the team you have - whether or not, from a teambuilding sense, it even makes any sense. I also wanted to have Pokémon that are rarely ever used in nuzlockes to have a chance of appearing.

== WHAT THE HECK IS A STRIKESLOCKE SIXLOCKE? ==
Now, I'm the type who likes to fuss over single details, and I like to make rules consistent between runs, even across generations. I also like to try making things really hard on myself on purpose. Haha. That being said, the main rules of a Sixlocke are rather extensive, but I promise that the rules are important, and I'll reference them when certain decisions that are guided by the ruleset need to be made.

1. At the beginning of the game, I will randomly generate a team of six Pokémon to make up my team. The generated Pokémon must be unevolved, non-legendary, non-mythical, not an Ultra Beast, not a duplicate of another Pokémon already on the team, and present in the game's regional Dex. (For example, a Charmander is legal in R/B/Y and G/S/C but not in R/S/E.) Like I said, this rule is specifically to allow for less commonly-used Pokémon in the game's regional Dex to be used in a nuzlocke.

2. No Pokémon besides the ones generated at the beginning of the game may be used in battle. Whenever a Pokémon faints, it is considered dead and cannot be used for the rest of the run. This will force me to use whoever I have for the whole game, whether it be trash or treasure, and without any additional encounters, keeping the team safe is paramount. I only have six Pokémon to take with me through the whole game. Yup.

3. Because team members are randomly generated and I cannot swap them out, wild Pokémon can be caught ONLY to use as HM users. These HM users do not occupy any slots, and may not participate in battle unless forced into battle, in which case it must switch or stall until it faints (only if switching is not possible). Basically a failsafe to prevent being unable to continue due to HM compatibility.

4. Battle rules: Set mode, no items in battle (held items are okay), level cannot exceed the highest level Pokémon of the next "boss", and no quality-of-life features that would otherwise be granted outside of link battles (i.e. Affection, Super Training, etc). If a Pokémon goes over the level cap, it cannot be used in battle until the level cap is increased (treat them like HM users), but Pokémon are allowed to go above the cap mid-battle. Level cap increases by 2 for each of my Pokémon that has died. This is so I don't get too overleveled, and things also stay fair, but so that I can still survive even if I have 1 or 2 Pokémon left.

5. Move rules: The following moves may not be used by any Pokémon during the duration of the run:
  • Any move that boosts evasion or is capable of boosting evasion. (Double Team, Acupressure, etc.)
  • Any move that deals a one-hit KO. (Guillotine, Horn Drill, etc.)
  • Sonicboom and Dragon Rage.
6. Before the game begins, I must randomly decide which starter to select. Naturally, I cannot use this starter Pokémon except as an HM user.

7. No glitches or exploits.

8. The run is completed if all trainers whose defeat causes a credits roll is defeated, including all rematches. For Pokémon Red, this is the Champion battle.

Alright, with that all said and done, let's dive into it. Pokémon Red...start.

Starter roll: 1, so I must pick Bulbasaur as my starter.
Evolution rolls: None needed, as no Pokémon on my team have split evolutions.

Alright, we've barely begun and there's quite a bit to digest in my first-ever public run of my Sixlocke. Three fully evolved Pokémon right off the bat, as well as a Grass-type to deal with Brock, is obviously great to see going into the early game. But there are a few things that I have to keep in mind as the team makes its way through Red. For starters, Scyther may seem like a really good Pokémon to start with, and yes, the stats are very solid, but Scarlet leaves a lot of concern due to only learning Normal-type attacking moves for the ENTIRE game, which actually makes Scarlet more of a liability than an asset, especially since it faces stiff competition with Auburn as the premier physical attacker out of the team. Still then, this team has rather good coverage. Burgundy and Flame together make up part of the Fire-Water-Grass core, and while I don't have a Water-type and Flame can't evolve until Level 40 for some ungodly reason, Claret can learn lots of Water moves and Flame starts with Ember already, so this should be fine. Finally, Crimson is a little underwhelming, but early evolution is nice and is generally better than Pidgeot, in my opinion.

As is tradition, we take the Potion to go. Who knows how badly this may turn out.

I'm not entirely sure how to think about having Charmander be the rival's starter. On the one hand, it does very well against a third of my team...on the other hand, this is Red and it shouldn't be too hard to blast our way through. If worse comes to worse I think Auburn and Flame could probably handle it. But that won't really be too big a factor until midgame, so I'll worry about that later.

Considering the circumstances, Blue, I'd highly suggest you don't take me on. That being said I'll be happy to take the free experience for the slow-levelling Auburn.

Naturally it was something of a wipeout. Narrowly missed the 2HKO but only took 6 HP in damage. As expected, Auburn is a total sponge so these early game battles should be relatively easy for Auburn. We'll have to see how it continues to perform later on, though...

Yeah sorry about that Blue, except you're kind of an asshole so I don't feel bad for you.

Anyways with rival #1 out of the way we can quickly get through all the pre-game roadblocks. Honestly with how long the pre-game is in a lot of the newer games, although I am sworn that the later games are better than the earlier games, I can really appreciate how quick the pre-game is.

Picked up some Antidotes for the road ahead...don't want to get poisoned by a Weedle and die to overworld poison damage. I've lost many a Pokémon from not being prepared for that...

And then we went ahead into Viridian Forest right away and beat up on some Bug Catchers. Typically I like to try to get everyone up to Level 10 first before going into the second rival battle, just for safety, and I'll be doing the same here, even if I have 6 Pokémon in tow...

Crimson gets the first new move of the game with...Leer. Well, this is Gen I, so spectacular movepool gains are few and far between. Still, in the very worst case scenario, this could be useful against Brock...but I don't see that being very relevant.

And with a little bit of time, everyone is up to Level 10. Nothing really of note besides that Crimson and Flame were easy to level up on account of their STAB, and that Burgundy had to train on Route 1 because it literally can't hit anything for neutral damage except for Rattata and Pikachu. Obviously finding Pikachu in Viridian Forest is inconsistent, so...but! Fun fact: Burgundy is in the Medium Slow EXP group, which actually takes LESS EXP to level up compared to Pokémon in the Medium Fast EXP group...all the way until Level 46! Pretty cool. As a result, Burgundy was actually not too much of a pain to level up.

To illustrate this point, Burgundy gained 2 levels from fighting two Pokémon from the "light years" trainer in Pewter Gym.

Of course, now we have to take care of rival #2 before Brock. I know this is an optional fight, but honestly it's free real estate EXP and honestly why not take another opportunity to make Blue look bad?

Pidgey is easily dispatched by Auburn, who is looking to make it 2-for-2 against Blue. The 2HKO Tackle was nice; the last thing I need is to give Pidgey an opportunity to start using Sand-Attack.

And of course Auburn bowls over Charmander just as easily. Auburn easily takes a second W over Blue, and one has to wonder if Blue is suspicious of how I came to acquire this force of nature.

Sure.

Before taking on Brock, of course I needed to do a last little bit of training. Obviously Burgundy is my choice to lead, with 4x super effective Vine Whip. In the event that somehow that is not sufficient, Flame can back up with Ember, which may not be super effective but take advantage of Brock's Pokémon's weak Special.

Uh, Brock, I don't think you actually want to fight, trust me...

Yeah...this got out of hand for Brock really fast. Vine Whip OHKO's the Geodude...

...and after an ultimately meaningless Screech, Burgundy OHKO'd the Onix as well. That's about as easy of a Gym Battle as we can get to hope in this run...might as well savor it.

Burgundy even got a level-up and Wrap (complete with broken Gen I mechanics) as a little bonus.

Insert obligatory "I took you for granite" joke here. Also Bide is bad and I'm gonna sell this thing first thing next leg.

Crimson: So far, I haven't really done too much with Crimson just yet. Crimson was able to easily plow its way through thanks to a clear advantage over the Bug-types that infest Viridian Forest, but for the most part Crimson hasn't done anything I haven't been able to expect Crimson to do. It easily cleaned house in Viridian City, gained levels, but was left at Level 10 since it didn't really factor into my plans for Brock, as the best it could realistically do is provide Leer debuffs to help its team in the case that things really went south somehow. I was 99.9% sure that wasn't going to happen, and sure enough...in any case, I expect Crimson to shine a little more in the next leg of the run.

Burgundy: I'm really excited about this guy. Sure, its Defense could use some work, but it absolutely tore through the Pewter Gym like a hot knife through butter. Sure, training it wasn't easy - aside from Rattata, it wasn't able to hit anything even neutrally with Vine Whip. As a result, it was a bit much at times to do damage. However, Burgundy met expectations against Brock with two easy OHKO's against Brock's two Pokémon, pretty much as expected, and got Wrap as a nice little insurance move. Next time Burgundy is slated to be able to do even more, so I'm excited to see just how dominant Burgundy will be able to be once things get rolling towards the next Gym.

Claret: Obviously there's not a lot to get excited about with Claret yet, although considering the circumstances Claret still performed relatively well. Pound doesn't do much but at least Lovely Kiss keeps opposing Pokémon at bay, as 75% accuracy really isn't too bad compared to the alternative in the 60% accurate Hypnosis. Claret is far from being a superstar just yet, but much like with Burgundy, I see Claret starting to shine in the next leg once she nabs the Water Gun TM in Mt. Moon. Until then, however, Claret still has to keep up, and that's going to be tricky with the many trainers coming up in the next route, but as long as Lovely Kiss is accurate enough and her pitiful Defense isn't exploited too much, she should be fine.

Auburn: Definitely has the best stats, and even at the end of leg 01 this is very apparent. And in spite of only having Tackle in its starting moveset, it's a very powerful Tackle that has easily made a dent in the opponents it has had to face so far. That being said, the next leg is looking to be a little tricky; with no major TM's coming up for Auburn to use, it will have to continue using the fairly unreliable Tackle as its sole attacking move. As the opponents get tougher, I can see Auburn struggling a bit. I don't think this is a reason for any long-term concern, but it's going to see just how far this guy can go with only Tackle in its moveset.

Scarlet: I don't really know how to feel about this Scyther just yet. Having a decent crit rate is good and while it gets literally no coverage, its Normal type moves still hit pretty hard. Even with just Quick Attack, Scarlet has made some impressive strides. Still, until it levels up and gets Slash, Double-Edge, and later on even Hyper Beam, it's going to be pretty slow going once we get moving along. Even now, Scarlet is more along for the ride than anything else, not taking up a specific niche. We'll just have to see if the high Attack stat will be enough to keep it relevant. If not...it's going to be a long run for Scarlet.

Flame: Flame was the designated backup just in case a Gen I miss or some other providential act of Arceus kept Burgundy from defeating Brock on their own. Being stuck with only Ember as an attacking move was inconsequential for the first leg, as Viridian Forest bugs were completely helpless against it, and even a not-very-effective Ember would be relatively decent against Brock's Geodude and Onix due to their horrendous Special stat. Of course, that ultimately wasn't needed and Flame was able to sit on the sidelines as Burgundy led the team to victory. Next leg is a bit of a wash for Flame, considering we have a Water gym next, but I don't think they will struggle too much heading into the next leg.

Hey, thanks for reading! I apologize if I tend to go on and on in certain places... On that note, I'd appreciate any feedback or comments on the run! I'll try to update as frequently as possible. Probably at least once a week. Maybe. Anyways, GBB out, see you next time for leg 02, leading up to the Cerulean Gym!

Last edited:

0 Anonymous

Johto League Champion
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Pokémon Type
???
Pretty cool run idea, and the team's already a pretty varied one.

Very solid 'locke criticism. I think you made really good points in the background that are worse a response in and of itself, so I'ma throw the whole big thing in a spoiler tag here.

Sameyness is definitely a massive issue with Nuzlocke runs as a whole, especially when it comes to things like dupes clause in particular, or repelling to get a specific encounter in the case of things like B2/W2's Eevee. There's a very good question as to whether things like that take away from the spirit of the challenge of cobbling together random shit together you probably wouldn't use otherwise along with high stakes and try to get the win with them. If you can pick and choose to a degree what you'll use, inevitably you fall into the trap of "use what works, don't experiment", which is arguably what the challenge intended to try and break free of.
In the same vein though, the inverse issue kind of kicks in without those extra rules, because basic probability will also push teams to end up being incredibly samey just with redundant Pokemon, making the whole thing rather tricky.

Boxing is a mixed blessing instead of a detriment to the spirit of the challenge in my eyes because control over team comp isn't necessarily a bad thing despite it admittedly encouraging "use what works, don't experiment" tactics; it helps break up the major issues of repetitive Pokemon and overall sameyness of runs by allowing player preference and decision-making into the equation, which helps make a run differentiate itself from others. Situations where there's an "objectively" better Pokemon are usually pretty uncommon, because things aren't usually that easy to determine because preference and perception go a long way. You usually don't have a situation where you compare Sentret and Tauros, lol. Most often you're doing something like Spearow or Pidgey, where both have their merits. And if you have both on a team, you're going to end up neglecting one of them because they both are going to want to fight the same things and get countered by the same stuff.

This mild defense of boxing aside, your challenge does a really good job of addressing the weaknesses in the challenge you pointed out and is pretty cool.

In terms of the mons here, absolute treasure trove of the uncommon gen 1s. Tauros, Jynx, Bellsprout & Scyther are practically unseen (Bellsprout isn't even obtainable in RB) and Ponyta & Spearow generally don't see the light of day either due to their more easily obtained alternatives.

Personal guess as to team function / potential issues down the road:
  • Crimson is going to struggle immensely until they get through the Geodude and can become a Fearow. Things will still be a little touchy but be much, much better.
  • Burgunday is going to have an annoying time because Mt. Moon has delicious geodude but also Zubat. Misty is an XP buffet though.
  • Claret will pick up Mega Punch / Kick and Water Gun, which will make the 'mon actually really solid all around.
  • Auburn is going to be an absolute monster, doesn't care what you throw against 'em it's all gonna be mulched. The answer to any neutral matchups.
  • Scarlet's going to be decent until Mt. Moon, terrible during it, okay again after it.
  • If Flame can hit through the Geodude, he'll be in a fine spot. If not, see Crimson but without the payoff of early Fearow.
  • Overall, Mt. Moon might be tricky but once you get past there I think you'll be in a good spot. Rock Tunnel also might get a little ugly, I think.

Wish you the best on the run, already is pretty interesting and as the game ramps up I think it'll get even more so.

greenbeanbottle

Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 1, 2020
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
He / Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Clever
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Alright, enough lollygagging, let's keep this run moving along. But first, to respond to a comment...

@0 Anonymous - Thank you so much for the comment! As for your response to my 'locke criticisms, you make some very good points. I think, from a strategy standpoint, that boxing what doesn't work and using what does isn't a bad thing at all, and I have nothing against boxing Pokémon you don't want to use. And I agree that this version of a nuzlocke does lend itself to a different sort of "sameyness" in the sense that I could end up with, like you said, two Pokémon with very similar, if not the same, roles. I think therein lies a new challenge that I find exciting - when forced to deal with that sort of situation, what can I do to differentiate them? Can I run a 'mon in a way that is different from how it's usually run, to avoid that sameyness? That I think could be an exciting venture - even though it's not always possible or practical, to be certain.

Anyways, thank you for your response and I hope to hear more in the future!

Okeydokey, I think it's about time to get started soon, but first, let's do a little team preview, so we know what exactly we have to look forward to as we progress on the next leg of our journey.

Naturally things kicked off really nicely in our first leg of the run. The team is doing lots of damage, Burgundy totally wrecked Brock. Now begins what I consider the hardest part of the early game, but even then I feel like I'm pretty prepared. Obviously the difficulty ramps up - trainers have significantly tougher Pokémon now, and type coverage is going to start becoming very important. Even then, I have confidence that we'll be able to get through this leg. There is a lot to be excited for - both Crimson and Burgundy are likely going to evolve in this next leg, with the latter being extremely important in its ability to deal with Misty's Water-types. In addition, although we have lots of trainers to fight in this upcoming leg, most of my Pokémon either have good offenses or are generally tanky enough to avoid getting wrecked. Let's get to it!

Making good on my promise, first thing I did after beating brock was sell Bide, because Bide sucks. I also went ahead and bought some supplies for the road ahead, since...well, it's going to be a tricky one.

Route 3 is pretty heavy on the trainer battles, and actually introduces some variety to the Pokémon I was fighting. I was feeling reasonably under-levelled for this section of the game, although of course I think that's because it's really hard to grind up to Level 12+ using only wild Pokémon from the Viridian Forest / Route 22. In any case, my Pokémon are mostly reasonably bulky so I'm not too concerned.

Alright, Mt. Moon time. There is one trainer in particular that I'm worried about...but that's near the end of the cave. For now, let's just try and get as much training in as possible.

Hoo boy, this is big. Claret actually needed a Special move, big time, because Pound just isn't it, chief. I'll also be able to take out the Geodude that live in this cave with that, which is a big deal!

Got some more battles in; the trainers at this point don't have anything higher than Level 14 by this point, but that can be pretty difficult with where my Pokémon are at right now. Still, I have the advantage of having a pretty diverse team that's built to take care of most threats pretty well. The team does have a mild Rock type weakness, but with how few Rock types there are and how slow they are, I think I will manage fine.

Mt. Moon is actually chock-full of great items. HP Up goes to Auburn since it's the one with the most natural bulk, and Claret gets the benefit of a second TM in Mega Punch since no one else can learn it anyways. Claret's moveset is actually starting to look pretty solid now, and it'll only get better. Speaking of new moves, Burgundy got Poison Powder, which is good, but is nothing compared to what's coming soon.

Now, I mentioned earlier that there is a trainer that I'm actually somewhat afraid of, and that's one of the Rocket grunts on the bottom floor. He's dangerous because he has a Level 16 Raticate on his team, complete with Hyper Fang for huge damage and Quick Attack for priority. I trained up the team to a more reasonable level to deal with this potential terror.

Well after a Tackle 3HKO supplemented by Raticate's Hyper Fang missing, we got through with no other issues. Glad I prepared! I mean, Auburn is also just a beast, so...

From there, just two more trainers to beat, including the Fossil nerd. I picked up the Helix Fossil, as I always do, not because of memes but because it's conveniently right in front of me. It's not like I can revive it anyways...so in the Box it will rest. Eternally.

Finally, we made it to Cerulean. But we're far from done - we have rival #3 to take on, which is no joke thanks to a Level 18 Pidgeotto. Naturally we're going to need to adequately prepare before we take on Blue.

I figured that Level 16 should be plenty to take on Blue. After all, outside of the Pidgeotto, there actually isn't a lot to worry about, especially with Abra knowing no offensive moves and Blue still having a Rattata and Charmander on his team (that really should be a Charmeleon by this point) this is definitely not the hardest rival battle. But at the very least it's a step up.

Well, at least Blue is slightly more prepared for this matchup. Still a 6 v. 4, and the numbers are heavily in my favor. Honestly, as long as Sand-Attack spam doesn't...

...you know what, that's on me. I really shouldn't have expected anything less.

Ugh, so this is where we're going? At least we got a lucky crit.

After missing once, Auburn did manage to land the second Tackle. The lowered accuracy is a pain though, but at least with the Pidgeotto down I don't feel unsafe switching out..

There's the Abra, and thanks to it, Claret gets to switch in completely stress-free.

As the Abra tries fruitlessly to get away, Claret beats its face in. God, how morbid...

Rattata's in next and it gets completely smacked around while fast asleep. Let me tell you, having a Pokémon as fast as Claret is with a semi-accurate sleep-inducing move is BUSTED.

Uh-oh, a Fire-type! Claret ought to switch...

SIKE GET KISSED

You know, if Blue had, uh, I don't know, EVOLVED HIS CHARMANDER maybe I wouldn't have been able to stay in, but anyways, it's a Water Gun 2HKO.

Get rekt boiiii

So after we healed up it was time for the Nugget Bridge challenge. Naturally, we smash our way through them and collect $5000 for my troubles. Oh, if only it were that easy...

Finally we hit a good grinding spot. This area is chock-full of Oddish, which give out decent EXP. I use this opportunity to level up Crimson and Flame...

Hell yeah, now we're talking. Crimson evolves into Fearow at Level 20, and now 4 out of 6 members of the team are fully evolved. Somehow that feels a little strange, but hey, we won't be all fully evolved until Gym 6...

I often forget how many trainers there are on this route. It's honestly a little overboard...still, this team powered through pretty well.

Okay, but let's talk about these new moves though. Leer is meh, but it's Scarlet's first new move so it gets a pass. But the big news is Burgundy's Sleep Powder - yet another mid-accuracy sleep move. Having sleep-inducing moves that aren't Hypnosis on two Pokémon is going to be big. Finally, Claret's moveset just continues to get even better with Pound getting forgotten for Seismic Toss.

I cannot tell you how many times I've gone through this route in its entirety only to forget the S.S. Ticket. It's honestly embarrassing.

From there, it's just a few more battles remaining. Took out the two trainers in Misty's Gym and the Rocket with the Dig TM. The Gym Trainers were inconsequential, but the Rocket...

...did quite a number to the team. That Drowzee's Hypnosis hit us pretty bad...maybe I shouldn't have badmouthed it when I was comparing it to Lovely Kiss and Sleep Powder... (just kidding Hypnosis is too unreliable except in D/P). Also, it's really too bad that nobody on the team can learn the Dig TM, especially since a 100 BP Ground-type move this early is awesome, and could've been good for the next gym...

Scarlet gets a third move while grinding up for the Misty battle, while Burgundy turns down Stun Spore. It's at Level 21, so that means...

Ladies and gents, our Misty lead.

Alright, our team is ready. Burgundy should be well-equipped for this Gym. Let's see if it's as easy as I think this can be.

Staryu gets a crit right off the bat, but I've got a plan. I haven't used Growth all run, but here's where it'll help. In case of Starmie's Bubblebeam, which can do lots of damage even if it's not very effective, Growth will let us sponge more hits while also powering up our Vine Whips. There's not much Staryu can do to us anyways, so I have time to set up.

Misty is even gracious enough to waste a turn using X Defend. How kind of her.

Naturally, a +3 Special Vine Whip is too much for Staryu to handle.

Oof. Looks like one more Growth would have been perfect.

One more Vine Whip does it though. Burgundy actually took a lot more damage than I expected out of all that; 41 HP of damage is definitely more than I anticipated. Anyways, we still weren't in any real danger and we got another level-up for our trouble. (Being in the Medium Slow EXP group, like I said before, has its immense perks.)

Misty has fallen and we're still deathless. I'm liking how this is going so far, it's a lot of fun using some of these Pokémon that I have never used before. I know we still have a long way to go, and obviously anything can happen, but I'm really confident in this team so far! We do have a really hard challenge in the next leg, however - Lt. Surge is going to be rough as we have no clear advantage. We'll have to see how it goes.

Bubblebeam TM? Dang, Claret's moveset is going to be amazing going into leg 03.

Crimson: We didn't really get a chance to see Crimson as a Fearow in action, but the numbers look promising. Crimson has similar Attack to Auburn and Scarlet who both are pretty well-known for their physical Attack. The moveset is still underwhelming, but let's keep looking at the positives. Crimson has the highest Speed out of the whole team, which definitely counts for something. What I worry about for Crimson is that it'll be a while before we get anything better movepool-wise for quite a while. Trying to be a physically offensive threat while only sporting Peck and Fury Attack is not a recipe for success. Still, I think Crimson has the right stats for it and will manage in the legs ahead.

Burgundy: Burgundy consistently proves its mettle against Gym leaders and it is 2 for 2 on them now. It is very possible that we will need to rely on Burgundy again when it comes time to face Lt. Surge, thanks to its handy Electric resistance, but I hope it doesn't come to that. Still, Burgundy has a movepool that is just great for this stage - Vine Whip is a solid STAB move, Wrap is broken, Growth is nice for boss fights, and Sleep Powder is great for safety. I think Burgundy will be one of the strongest members of the team in the legs to come, for sure. It's going to be a little tougher going from here for the Weepinbell, but I think it will do just fine.

Claret: I think if I had to give a "most improved Pokémon" for this leg, I would easily have to give it to Claret. The moveset has seen a complete overhaul, from having just Pound and Lovely Kiss to having Water Gun, Seismic Toss, AND Mega Punch is amazing. Now, if only Claret had the physical Attack to pull it off...still, Claret will be learning Ice moves sooner or later, and when that happens Claret is going to be a real force to reckon with. Not to mention the utility in Lovely Kiss, allowing for a second decent-accuracy sleep move. I'm thinking that Claret might have to take on the Electric gym, so we'll see then if this moveset is worth all the hype.

Auburn: I'm a little concerned, but only for the moment. Obviously Auburn still only knowing Tackle is a huge concern, but Auburn's stats have been able to cover for that, thankfully. There's hope, though - the Body Slam TM is coming up, and that is going to hit HARD. The other concern, however, that I have is that Auburn is getting concerningly hard to level-up. I know Auburn is in the Slow EXP group, so that's to be expected. Still, Auburn is going to need to fight lots of Trainers to level up at good pace. I'd rather not grind for longer than I have to...this leg took over 5 hours, holy moly, having a Pokémon in the Slow EXP group to level up is just tedious.

Scarlet: If I'm being honest, I think Scarlet is the Pokémon with the lowest damage output per attack. Quick Attack in itself isn't all that strong, especially since it isn't STAB. We got two new moves, but one of them is actively harmful due to a glitch. Even worse, it doesn't get Slash until Level 29, which won't be for a while. I guess I could give it Cut, but that's not that big of an improvement over Quick Attack, and it will be stuck on Scarlet forever since it's an HM move and there's no Move Deleter. But I may just be desperate enough to try it... Still, I will hold on to hope for Scarlet. It has good stats and it just needs to get Slash to really start wreaking havoc.

Flame: Unfortunately Flame was somewhat overshadowed in this leg since we were preparing for a Water Gym. You'll have your moment in the sun in two legs, I promise! Anyways, only having Ember isn't that great, but at least it's an Auburn-like situation where Flame is at least getting STAB. That said, Flame also has a bleak future when it comes to moves, especially since Flame has no level-up moves to speak of until Level 30, at which it learns...Tail Whip. Nice. It does get Stomp at Level 32, but again that's a way off. Still, at least Ember can hit some common types like Bug and Grass for super-effective damage, so honestly there's still hope.

Phew! That was a long leg. The next leg will be much shorter but then thing start ramping up again after that. Like always I'd appreciate any comments or feedback you have to offer. Thanks again for reading everyone!

Last edited:

greenbeanbottle

Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 1, 2020
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
He / Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Clever
Before we begin: After some thought I added a new rule to the Sixlocke ruleset, based on some recommendations that I agreed with. This new rule will not impact this run, as far as I know, but may influence runs in the future. The original ruleset has been updated to reflect these changes, but the new rule will be included in this spoiler in case:
Move rule: The following moves may not be used by any Pokémon during the duration of the run:
  • Any move that boosts evasion or is capable of boosting evasion. (Double Team, Acupressure, etc.)
  • Any move that deals a one-hit KO. (Guillotine, Horn Drill, etc.)
  • Sonicboom and Dragon Rage.
Addendum to the Team Generation rule (Dupes Clause): When generating the team at the beginning of the game, no duplicates of a Pokémon will be considered.

Alright then, let's keep things moving as we get into the next leg of the run. We're nearing the end of the early game, and things will really start ramping up over the next few legs, but I'm pretty pleased with where we are right now. Let's get on with the team preview and head out towards Vermillion City!

Let's get the obvious out of the way - the team doesn't have a particular advantage over Lt. Surge since no one among the members of the team can learn Dig, which is a huge bummer. At least for now, however, I think this team might be able to bust through on pure power alone. It will likely come down to one of three team members: Burgundy, who can resist Electric-type moves; Claret, who can sponge hits with her massive Special stat; or Auburn, who is getting Stomp by level-up soon. (I totally forgot about this and thought I would need to use the Body Slam TM on Auburn...oops!) In any case, it's pretty evident that Crimson and Scarlet are not going to be particularly helpful this leg, and Flame will be more of a back-up 'mon if anything. But hey, now that the Body Slam TM is available, I think Flame will get a pretty reasonable boost. Alright, let's get on with the show!

With Misty beaten, Claret gets yet another huge boost to her movepool. Bubblebeam is a notable boost over Water Gun...though realistically that doesn't really make that much sense. A pressurized water gun should be a lot more effective than a bunch of bubbles...but I digress.

Got some more Trainer battles out of the way as we head south towards Vermillion. Grinding towards Vermillion is not nearly as bad as the grind up to Cerulean, not by a long shot. Plus I still have Route 11 AND the S.S. Anne to clear of trainers, which will be huge.

FINALLY! Tauros is amazing and all but not getting anything by level-up or TM for so long is definitely frustrating. Still, 65 BP, 100% accurate Normal STAB with a 30% to flinch is wayyyy better.

Vermillion City really isn't that far away so it definitely feels off to be here so early. In any case, we have a route and a ship to clear of EXP, so let's not dilly-dally.

Before we do that, though, I gotta clear up some inventory space. I can't say that I ever really do this, but I'm selling the Dig TM since no one can make use of it. It feels so scummy though, even with that in mind. Getting rid of a 100 BP Ground move...that's going to sting until we get the Earthquake TM later on.

Naturally, with all the trainers that I have available to take on, I used the opportunity to train up the Pokémon that are harder to train up, especially Auburn since it's going to likely be our ace for the Gym. Still, even though Scarlet and Crimson won't have much of a role in this Gym, it'll be nice to keep them up to speed anyhow.

Alright, S.S. Anne next. Man, is it just me or is the pacing of this leg wildly faster than the last one? I mean, I know the pacing in Gen I is kinda all over the place...well, anyways, let's get in there and start knocking some heads around for now.

Goodness grace of Arceus, there are wayyyy too many trainers on this boat. Also why are so many of them Sailors? Just cause we're on a boat? It's not even a fishing boat, or a naval boat, it's literally just a luxury liner. YOUR LINE OF REASONING MAKES NO SENSE GAME FREAK

New moves, before we take on...WAIT THER'ES MORE S.S. ANNE TRAINERS!? Ahem...anyways, Flame finally has a move that isn't Ember, and Body Slam is certainly a solid move to have on Flame's semi-decent physical Attack. Meanwhile, Burgundy tried to learn Stun Spore a second time, but again Sleep Powder is vastly superior so there's no need.

And that clears out the rest of the S.S. Anne trainers. Altogether, that's 16 trainers, half of which are sailors. Idk man, seems a bit excessive, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth here. Er, a gift Ponyta in the mouth? Eh...let's move on.

Before taking on the fourth rival fight, I went ahead and did a minor bit of grinding in Diglett Cave. Normally I tend to avoid Diglett Cave since the Digletts are fast and have Dig, and crit super often thanks to their high Speed stat, and the concern of potentially running into a Level 29 Dugtrio, but it works out fine here since both Crimson and Scarlet are immune to Dig. So even if I don't have the benefit of using them against Lt. Surge, they at least help with grinding. Also, just like the previous three fights, Auburn will be our lead since Auburn pretty much owns Blue so...gotta keep up narratives, am I right or am I right?

Va-t'en, Blue.

Pidgeotto opts for Quick Attack first, which is honestly fine. I'll take that over that stupid Sand-Attack spam any day of the week.

Still using Potions? I really don't understand the logic behind that, especially when even a Super Potion probably wouldn't have saved Pidgeotto from this range, but hey, getting out of the fight with Pidgeotto with full accuracy basically means we'll win from here, barring anything dumb.

Bro, it's Leg 03. I no longer fear Level 16 Raticates, get with the program.

No Defense? Let's exploit that.

Ah...well, that's pretty unfortunate for Blue. I'm even starting to kinda feel bad for him at this point.

I mean if I were Blue I'd honestly be pretty salty too. But either way, Blue has been put in his place once again. Which is under the heel (hoof?) of Auburn.

Alright listen we don't have to talk about this part, let's just grab Cut and get outta here. I went ahead and gave it to Scarlet since its moveset is gonna be ass anyways, and only really needs three move slots.

Alright, Gym time already. I'm all for having a short leg, especially considering how long the next two legs are going to be.

Not much of a roadblock. Claret and Auburn were pretty much able to clean up shop here.

Hey, I'm not one to brag or nothing, but this puzzle took me about 15 seconds. Before you ask how I managed to do it, though, know that it takes a certain level of skill and strategy to get through this puzzle.

Here's the team going into the Lt. Surge battle. After seeing how well Stomp just obliterated Blue's team with little issue, I'm feeling pretty confident about my chances with Auburn at the helm. Of course I have Claret and Burgundy as backup in case things go sour, and things very reasonably could go badly with his Raichu. We'll just hope that we don't run into any unforeseen issues.

Woah, Surge, hold your horses. Hold your Ponytas? How many times can I make the same joke before it stops being funny?

Nice critical. Not that Voltorb has the capacity to blow up at this Level, anyway...

Alright, everything is going pretty smoothly so far, but these are hardly the issue. The issue is...

Here's the big boy. Let's hope this goes well.

Well, that's awkward. The Stomp crit from the last turn would have been put to so much better use here, but at least Surge wasted a turn on X Speed. That said, Raichu is likely to outspeed us this turn, so I'd better hope it doesn't...

SHIT. That's what I was really hoping to avoid. This is going to hurt...

Alright, we can breathe. That single move did more damage to us than any other move that's been used so far on us, so that was definitely a bit of a scare, but it looks like even with a crit Auburn would have managed to live it. But with that, we've gotten three badges, and better yet, without a single death to our name!!

Probably the best Gym TM we're going to get all game until Blaine. Auburn is rewarded with coverage, so this is very much welcome.

Overall, I'm feeling pretty good about the team as we pass through the early game and find ourselves on the precipice of the middle stretch of the game. In this middle stretch, a lot is going to happen, but the biggest thing that we will need to focus on going forward is movesets. Auburn and Flame both still have two empty slots, although for the former, this will soon be mitigated as we already have access to the Thunderbolt TM and will soon have access to the Ice Beam TM. In addition, we have an extremely powerful TM move in Psychic also coming up, which Claret will be able to absolutely RAZE opponents with. Other important moves coming up in the next leg include Slash for Scarlet, Acid for Burgundy, and Fly for Crimson. Overall, if the team can get through the next leg with no deaths, I can honestly say with relative confidence that this team will be set for the rest of the run. But I don't want to Jynx it, so for now, let's just say things are going well.

This leg wasn't too long but I suspect that the next leg is going to take quite some time to complete, so it may be a bit of a wait until the next leg. But until then, thanks for reading as always and feel free to leave me feedback / criticism. Thanks again!

Last edited:

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
Interesting idea, good luck then

greenbeanbottle

Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 1, 2020
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
He / Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Clever
Alright, so, quick update before the next leg, which should be coming out later this week. Big change for the run, nothing that invalidates the game as it has been played so far.

I was thinking about it and I felt like the use of strikes was kind of not in good spirit of the Nuzlocke challenge. So, while I know it drastically reduces my chances of winning this 'locke, I decided to make a big change to the ruleset. No more strikes. Fainting = Death. No takebacks.

I know that with six randomly cobbled-together Pokémon team, this is going to seem insanely difficult. But you know what, if I lose, I lose. No shame. I'm looking for a challenge, so let's do it! Of course, with strikes no longer being a feature, I've decided to change the name from the Strikeslocke to the Sixlocke. Six Pokémon enter, who knows how many will make it, if any?

All other rules will be remaining the same, of course, but now the stakes are high. I hope I don't come to regret this later...

Anyways, Leg 04 should be up later this week. Until then!

EDIT: Additional rule, by suggestion by my friends - level cap increases by 2 for each of my Pokémon that has died...just so that if I only have 1 Pokémon I won't be totally boned.

Last edited:

greenbeanbottle

Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 1, 2020
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
He / Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Clever
Alright, with the new rules in place, let's go ahead and kick things off! Also I definitely updated this run within the week like I said I was going to, I don't know what you're talking about.

Alright, so, even with the changes to the ruleset and the fact that I won't have any encounters for the rest of the run, let's talk strategy here. I'm still pretty confident in my team, especially as we have the Grass Gym next and Crimson and Flame should be pretty good here. This is also the leg with the best TM selection out of all, particularly with Ice Beam, Psychic, Fly, and Double-Edge all coming during this leg. Unlike with Lt. Surge, we have a very clear advantage over the opposing team - Crimson with Flying STAB and Flame with Fire STAB. I also anticipate giving Ice Beam to either Claret or Auburn (we'll see how I'm feeling) so whichever Pokémon gets that TM will also be incredibly valuable for this next Gym. Overall this is a leg to see if the team can really come into its own, so let's not waste any more time and get the ball rolling!
Obviously, the first thing we gotta do is teach Auburn Thunderbolt. It's not like anyone else can learn it anyway, but Auburn at least has a usable 70 base Special. We'll definitely be taking advantage of this down the road.

Probably the most infuriating thing about Gen I is the sheer lack of space in the bag, and the immense number of single-use key items that become useless after they're important. I need as much inventory space as I can get, especially with the mid-game happening and the Kanto map opening up a lot, so I got rid of most of my key items as well as stones and HM's I have no use for.

On to Route 9. If any of you watched Twitch Plays Pokémon (which happened in 2014 wait what the actual hell!? Am I really that old!?) you may know this as the route with all the ledges. As for the trainers, they evidently didn't pose too much of a threat, but the opponents are definitely getting a little tougher. I would not have been happy getting through that Bug Trainer with the two Beedrill if I didn't have Crimson or Flame...

Scarlet tried to learn Double Team, which in most cases would be great, but I banned it due to how broken evasion moves are; I ain't about that shit! I will face my potentially inevitable death head-on! (Oh god I really hope I don't regret this later...)

Anyways, on to Rock Tunnel. Again, normally I would have Flash here, but in Gen I you can still see the map pretty well, and it's not like Rock Tunnel has a particularly complex layout so it's all good. That all being said, isn't it pretty cool that menu is dark as well? Idk man, I think it's pretty neat.

Good lord, there's a lot of trainers in here. The experience is nice, and as you can see, I was mostly not in any danger (except for the one time Claret got hit by Rock Throw). Come to think of it, it's a little concerning that my only Rock-type counters are Burgundy and Claret, the latter of which is weak to Rock. I really hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the future, but as long Claret is able to outpace any Rock-types, Claret should be okay...right?

When I was talking about good moves during this leg, this is not one of them! Too inconsistent, not really worth my time...

Making our way out of the Rock Tunnel, Scarlet did get poisoned and I ran out of Antidotes, so I didn't get to heal him. Thankfully Lavender Town is nearby and I'm really not all too concerned...52 HP is well over what we'll need to survive the poison.

Took out the trainers right outside of Rock Tunnel. Y'know, the trainers really haven't posed too much of a threat recently. I wonder if this team really can go all the way to the end? I mean, I feel like between all the members of the team we have pretty good coverage, so I think I could very realistically go deathless. Now again, I may have just jinxed it...

Went ahead and grabbed the Swift TM as it isn't too bad, and Crimson could really use Normal STAB that is better than...uh, what did Crimson have again...Fury Attack!? Yeah, Swift is gonna be way better than that.

Alright onto...uh... *checks notes* Route 8??? Wasn't I just on Route 9? Ugh, I swear, the Kantonian route numbering conventions make no sense to me. I can never remember what route is what, which isn't as big a problem in the later games...

We already made it to Celadon City, but there's a lot of business to attend to...

New move #2 for Crimson. Fly isn't great but it's better than Peck. And it means I don't have to walk everywhere. (I miss you so much, Running Shoes.)

I'm so glad that you can just buy the evolution stones in this game...they make it so much harder to get later on. It may be a while before I use this on Burgundy, though; I want it to at least learn Razor Leaf before we evolve it, which won't be until Level 38 so we have quite a ways to go.

This girl holds really powerful TM's for some reason, so I'm going to take as much advantage of this as I can. I ultimately decided to give Auburn the Ice Beam TM (Bolt-Beam FTW) since Claret will get Ice STAB relatively soon anyway (Ice Punch @ Level 31). The other two TM's were unfortunately unlearnable by the others, with the Soda Pop yielding Rock Slide and the Lemonade yielding Tri Attack. Either would have been nice...

Finally we have the quick detour to Saffron City to grab the Psychic TM. If only it was this easy to bait the guards...all it took was a $250 bottle of water!

Alright, pack it up. Y'all cannot defeat Claret anymore, she's become too powerful.

Alright, one last task before taking on the Gym, we gotta deal with the Rocket subplot. It'll be worth it for the experience, but honestly who hides the switch behind a poster? Why is the first thing you think to say to avoid suspicion is saying that you're "guarding the poster"? Oh well, it's not like Team Rocket has ever been particularly threatening (although can we talk about those whips tho? Why do so many trainers whip their Pokémon in Gen I?)

And so Scarlet made quick work of the Rocket grunts...

...grabbed the Double-Edge TM and gave it to Crimson along the way... (three new moves for Crimson? Christmas came early...er, late...? Anyways, Crimson probably appreciates the new moves.)

...took out a couple more grunts while picking up the Lift Key... (also, learning Tail Whip at Level 28 is just one of many weird level-up moveset choices in Gen I)

...and eliminated a few more grunts en route to the bottom floor. The Rockets still aren't super threatening, but I'll grant them strength in numbers. Taking out 10 grunts in the hideout definitely takes a lot out of ya.

Giovanni has never been a particularly hard fight...that being said, neither is Blue (until the late game, anyway), so let's get into it!

Surprising absolutely no one, Burgundy is able to put Onix back into the dirt relatively easily.

Huh. Well, I've had Gen I misses during grinding, for sure, but this is my first Gen I miss in an actually major battle. At least we're not in any imminent danger...

Once we easily tanked a Horn Attack and struck back with a Vine Whip that hit its mark, Rhyhorn easily goes down.

Kangaskhan can be rather threatening, on the other hand. It has some hard-hitting STAB moves, so I'll need to be careful to avoid...

...or it can lock itself into Rage. That's cool. Sleep Powder missed though. Not as cool.

With Kangaskhan locked into Rage, I went ahead and put it to sleep and used the opportunity to buff Burgundy up with Growth.

Thankfully the sleep lasted long enough for Burgundy to get enough buffs to 2HKO the Kangaskhan with Vine Whip. If Kangaskhan hadn't stupidly locked itself into Rage I feel like I definitely would have been in a lot more trouble, especially between the Vine Whip and Sleep Powder missing once each.

Idk I honestly feel like this fight should have been harder. Anyways, thanks for the ghost goggles.

Alright, with the Rocket Hideout cleared out, we just have one task left - to take on the Gym!

With how many Grass type counters we have on the team, getting through these matches wasn't really too big a deal.

Here's the team going into the Erika fight. I feel like I'm going to need Crimson here thanks to it being a physical attacker, while all of Erika's Pokémon are Special attackers, so their relatively high Special will probably allow them to sponge a Psychic from Claret, an Ice Beam from Auburn, and especially an Ember from Flame. So, Crimson, now is finally your time to shine!

It sure is a lovely day to kick your butt.

Cool Victreebel, I definitiely gotta get me one of those. Also oof, not a great start. Unfortunately Fly just barely misses the KO.

Thankfully Erika decides to use a Super Potion for some reason, so the next Fly hits its mark and down goes Victreebel.

I don't expect Fly to be as effective here; Tangela might be a much lower level but its Defense is way higher.

Thankfully Tangela's level-up moveset is absolute trash-tier garbage in this gen.

A single Peck from there is enough to finish it off. 2 down, 1 to go.

Then because I'm hella dumb I accidentally go for Swift instead of Fly. Naturally it doesn't do too much and Vileplume hits back with Poison Powder. Nothing all too worrisome, but annoying that I suffered unnecessary damage.

And with Fly hitting its mark, Vileplume is down and we are still deathless through Leg 04! Halfway through the gyms, I'm feeling pretty good about how things are going.

Another level to top us off and we get the Mega Drain TM, which will be nice on Burgundy.

Now that we've hit just about the halfway point in our journey, I think it would be appropriate to reflect on how each Pokémon has grown so far in the run. I'm very fortunate so far to be deathless up to this point, and I'm not honestly all too worried about this team making it all the way, barring Claret or Auburn dying. With that being said...

Crimson: So far, Crimson has played up to expectations - a somewhat mediocre Pokémon that needed a lot of TM help. That being said Crimson now has a bunch of stronger moves at its disposal including Swift, Fly, and Double-Edge, allowing its damage output to go way up compared to Legs 01 and 02. Crimson finally got its chance to shine after a few legs of being underutilized, taking down Erika by itself, but what concerns me from here on is that Crimson doesn't have much further to go. It'll get Drill Peck next leg, but beyond that there's going to be no new moves. I wonder if Drill Peck and Double-Edge STAB alone will be enough...then again, this is Gen I, so it should be okay.

Burgundy: Burgundy was an absolute powerhouse in the first few legs, but as we work our way into the midgame I can see that Burgundy is going to have some trouble. Evidently it did well enough against Giovanni, but it won't prove to be of much use for the next three legs against our primary opponents, except maybe the Giovanni rematch at Silph Co. I do still think it a valuable member of the team, especially since it gets Sleep Powder and it still has another evolution to go, but its usage against tougher opponents is probably going to go down in the next few legs, and perhaps through the rest of the run.

Claret: Claret is by far the MVP of this team, in my opinion. Ever since it got Water Gun in Mt. Moon, this Pokémon's damage output has been insane. But now, it gets even better due to having Psychic. And it gets better - Ice Punch is just on the horizon, giving yet another highly unresisted STAB move. Now, there are some concerns about its stats - particularly that Defense stat - so I need to be very careful with how I use Claret going forward. A stray critical hit physical move could be the end for Claret, so I need to be extra certain that it can KO the opponent or remain safe in the presence of even stronger physical attackers.

Auburn: This bull is no shit. Okay, bad joke, but honestly, is definitely one of the top two members of the team, to no surprise. I've learned to appreciate that Auburn's Special really isn't too bad, and for providing coverage that can't just be dealt using physical moves, it's doing wonders. Bolt Beam of course is a tried and true combination of moves for coverage, so realistically Auburn is going to be wrecking house even if it had worse Special. Auburn will be getting the Earthquake TM pretty soon, and with that the moveset will be mostly complete. Now is when Auburn hits its stride - it was a little frustrating to use back when it only knew Tackle, but now it's going to really wreck house.

Scarlet: If we're being honest, Scarlet may not be the most damaging member of the team, but it certainly is no slouch. It may not have the moves to succeed just yet, but what's on the horizon is certainly promising. In one level, Scarlet will learn Slash, giving us a move that basically always crits, which is HUGE. Not only that, Scarlet will also get Swords Dance as a way to boost its other moves as well, although I don't really see myself using anything besides Slash after we get it. In any case, while the lack of move versatility is an obvious problem for Scarlet at this point, I also think that with Gen I's broken mechanics and a ridiculous focus on raw power, Scarlet should be able to manage, but likely won't come up big in clutch moments.

Flame: My biggest hope is that Flame will survive long enough to evolve, because while susceptible as a Ponyta, I definitely think the added bulk in evolving into Rapidash will allow for the fire horse to potentially survive all the way to the end. Obviously only having two moves by Gym 4 is problematic, but at least we have a decent Fire STAB in Ember and a hard-hitting physical move in Body Slam. I feel pretty confident that I can get Flame to evolve barring any out-there situations, but my biggest concern with Flame is going to be what comes after. Flame doesn't get any other Fire moves until Fire Blast (which we have to beat Gym 7 to get) and other Normal moves. Beyond that, Flame doesn't look like its going to change much.

Alright, next update will be Leg 05, probably the longest leg of the entire run just due to how many events and trainers I have to battle. I also have a lot of grinding to do, and you can never be sure that grinding is going to be safe. I just hope I can keep up the good fortune and avoid having anyone die... well, until then, thanks again for reading and feel free to leave any comments or feedback you may have for me!

KirbySSU

Unova Veteran (Though Not In Nuzlockes)
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 10, 2020
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/Him/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Electric, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Likes Kirby, perhaps a bit too much.
Can’t wait for an epic showdown with Koga.

greenbeanbottle

Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 1, 2020
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
He / Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Clever
*dusts off the thread* Alright, let's finally post Leg 05. It's been a fair bit of time since my last post, but I think that I...what? Two weeks? Well, that's on me guys. Let's stop holding out on y'all and get the ball rolling! It's time to rip the band-aid off and do the longest leg in the game...

This was the team going into Erika and the immediate issue to keep in mind is that the level cap jumps all the way up to Level 43. Even with all the trainers available to me at this point, I'm most likely not going to be able to get to the level cap without a lot of extra wild grinding. We do have a few important battles to take on this leg, and some new moves that we're going to be able to learn, so it won't be all bad. The main thing I'm worried about is, with the number of battles going way up and Pokémon starting to know pretty powerful moves, I'm thinking that I'm going to need to be pretty cautious going ahead. Losing a Pokémon at this stage of the game would NOT be good.
Oh. Well, it looks like we're kicking things off with a rival battle, huh? Well, I guess it makes sense...bring it on, Blue!

Auburn has proven to pretty much single-handedly own Blue, and I might as well show off those new moves...things get off to a strong start with an Ice Beam crit getting the OHKO on Pidgeotto.

Exeggcute really doesn't fare that much better off of Ice Beam.

Oh boy, the pain train just keeps coming.

Something something Stomp joke haha aren't I funny haha please validate my humor

In all fairness to Blue this is just cruel.

Get rekt scrub

Now that we beat up Blue we can continue up the tower...I'm not gonna bother screenshotting every Trainer I beat because honestly that would take forever. I'd rather get this out now than in another two weeks...but anyhow, Claret learned Ice Punch and that is going to be yet another busted move on what's already been a very awesome moveset.

Honestly the Marowak fight is kinda difficult considering it gets pretty good moves and is at Level 30. I'm gonna have to play this carefully.

Oh never mind

Now that we've gone ahead and saved an old guy from some gangsters we basically have the rest of the map open to us now! Except for any place that requires Surf, anyways.

I also almost forgot to do this. Silly me. Burgundy gets a healing move now which is nice.

Got some new moves in the process. Scarlet getting Slash is huge as this is going to be its best move for...well, basically the entire game. The crit mechanics in this gen are busted, especially for a Pokémon with high Speed like Scarlet's base 105 Speed. Burgundy also gets Acid which could be nice.

Even more intimidating than the Marowak fight is the Snorlax fight. Same level, but more bulk and can recover. If I'm not careful I could lose a Pokémon here too.

Just kidding we running

There are like 15+ trainers in the routes ahead, and I kinda like how we just run through the important points so I think I'm just going to pass on taking screenshots of those parts from now on and just highlight the interesting parts...of which I had none. Flame got some new moves (finally!!!) but neither of them are particularly noteworthy. Tail Whip at Level 30 is...uh...and Stomp at Level 32 is outclassed by the Body Slam we already have.

Before we know it, we're in Fuchsia City! Time to take care of some sidequests.

Pack it up boys, we just got the best item in the game.

Finally we manage to snag the Surf HM! I'm pretty sure that Auburn can learn this, and Surf itself is a pretty solid move! I just wonder what move I should replace...

Wait, really!? Hold on...

Oh. Apparently Tauros learns it in every generation except Generation I. Okay, yeah, alright, that's cool.

At least Auburn can learn this HM. Sheesh.

After clearing out the remaining trainers to the west and east of Fuchsia City, as well as the Swimmers on the beach south of it, I got most of the team up to a decent level. That being said, we have to take on the Cycling Road and Silph Co. next, which has the potential to be particularly deadly with their pretty strong Pokémon. I'm going to grind a bit just to be safe.

NICE

...several minutes later...

Ha, nice. ...wait...

Oh. Ooooh. That's...probably going to hurt.

That's...

Oh.

...Oh.

And then there were 5 remaining. God, I feel like such an idiot losing Flame there but I wasn't careful and totally forgot about Mirror Move. I finished training after that but...ugh, this feels crummy. I totally could have avoided that and I didn't, but Flame's gone and there's no one to blame but myself for that one. We're going to have to go into the next part with lots of caution...

😡 Gotta grab the Bike Voucher...thank God we have a flyer...

Talk about kicking me while I'm down. C'mon man, was this really necessary...?

Okay, with that minor blip in the road out of the way...let's continue!

After a few battles Scarlet gets Swords Dance...ultimately not that important considering Scarlet already has Slash and crits don't take stat boosts into account...but it could still be useful if I don't think a crit will kill.

Oof, -2 Defense debuff. Wait, I should probably play this more carefully-

WAIT GOD DAMMIT I LITERALLY JUST TOLD MYSELF TO BE MORE CAREFUL

OH NO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Oh thank god.

Ahem...with that scare out of the way, it's Silph Co. time. I am not at all confident in myself anymore.

Something to mention are all the great items that you can grab in here! Lots of really good TM's in here too, like the Earthquake TM. Lots of vitamins laying around too.

Hey game, listen, this timing is getting really aggressive. I'm not gonna make the same mistake again so can you lay off of me for just a little bit?

...Okay, yeah, you know what, I'm starting to think this is all very warranted. If there's any evidence that this game has a conscience...

Thankfully without a Defense debuff and a crit, we can safely survive relying on the fact that Electrode is actual garbage.

A level up later and Burgundy snags Razor Leaf! Another high-crit-rate move, too. And, y'all know what that means...

Please forgive me for accidentally getting you exploded on...twice...

After taking on everybody in Silph (except for Blue and Giovanni, however), I went on and took on the Fighting Dojo for a little more extra experience.

After that I immediately realized that the TM I literally just talked about, Earthquake, was something I forgot to pick up. A few minutes after that realization...Auburn's moveset is basically complete at this point.

After a little bit more wild grinding, I got everyone up to Level 40. I know I'm still off the level cap by 3 (actually 5, considering the +2 increase due to losing Flame) but I'm still feeling relatively confident. As long as I don't get blown up...well, maybe that's too much to ask. This leg has just been the leg of explosions.

Alright, Koga. Let's do this darn thing.

Not gonna lie, the faces Claret makes due to the distortion from Psychic are HILARIOUS. I mean, Jynx's sprite already looks like it has duck-lips, but this takes it even further. Oh, and I guess it completely annihilated the Koffing.

Pfft...okay, this KO actually surprised me. Muk is actually pretty reasonably bulky, so this actually hit for pretty darn good damage.

Third verse, same as the first. But that face though...I'm having way too much fun with this.

Okay, okay...here come the big guns. Psychic needs to KO this. Selfdestruct from this thing is going to easily take out Claret...or any member of the team for that matter.

...Oh. That was surprisingly simple.

Get out the broom 'cause you just got SWEPT! Also thanks for the Toxic, I might use this. Maybe, not sure.
Hoo boy...I guess it's pretty obvious where I should start. Let's do a memorial to Flame...

=== R.I.P. Flame the Ponyta ===
Flame was by no means our flashiest member of the team but damn if it wasn't nice to have a Fire-type on the team for the incessant amount of bugs we'd had to deal with on our adventure. But the most painful thing about this is just that Flame didn't get a chance to shine. I felt that as long as I could get Ponyta to evolve into a Rapidash, things would start to work out well. Flame could have a lead role against Sabrina during the next leg...but I guess we're going to have to think of a different plan. Also painful is the manner in which I lost her...Mirror Move Body Slam was completely avoidable if I had just been patient and gone with a Ember 3HKO...but now I can't take this back so I guess I'll just have to be more careful from here on.

This team definitely took some lumps this leg...only for it to pull it off at the end with fewer issues than every other Gym Leader except Brock. I wonder, though, how this team will fare in the Psychic gym. Kinda like with Lt. Surge, I don't have any direct advantage. I might just have to try to blast through with Crimson, Auburn, or Scarlet's physical offense. I'm just thinking, which Pokémon should I put in? None of the three options I gave have particularly good Special...all of them will take a hard hit from Alakazam's Psychic. This is why I really wish I had Flame for this upcoming leg...Rapidash's Attack, Special, and Speed are all respectable. One thing is for sure, I played pretty sloppily today, but I think I will be extra careful from here on. I definitely don't think I'm going to wipe to Sabrina, but I do think that I have a chance of losing someone. Not looking foward to this next leg.

Man...that leg was so long. Thankfully we won't have another leg quite this long until the finale...based on this update, the future looks interesting! I'm looking forward to it. As always, any feedback or commentary is incredibly appreciated!

Hydrochlorinate

Bard of Mind
Hacker
Screenshotter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 2, 2020
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Bug, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Preferring to operate in the dark, this pokemon is quick to obtain and discard many behaviors.
man, talk about an explosive update am i right? *shot*

The death and loss of fire resistance sucks, but to be fair, when you have Ice coverage, Fire becomes pretty redundant.

At least Claret is using her psychic type well by killing everything that has a special stat lower than 70/weak to psychic.

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
Thats an oof from me fam

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This ghost tries to be studious and businesslike, but will squee or keysmash easily. They would love to cuddle every adorable cat in the world.
hello, you are very brave to do this challenge xD i would not be able to accomplish this I think, your team is v neat as well and has a lot of coverage considering that it's Gen 1! also ouch that loss, that was a harsh way to go D:

KirbySSU

Unova Veteran (Though Not In Nuzlockes)
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 10, 2020
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
He/Him/They/Them
Pokémon Type
Electric, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Likes Kirby, perhaps a bit too much.
Update the banner with victreebel you coward Losing ponyta is sad, but at the end of the day grass and rock already have team members to take care of them, so it’s definitely the least crushing loss we couldv’e had. Hope to see more soon.

greenbeanbottle

Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 1, 2020
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
He / Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Clever
Alright, let's get back to the quick turnaround. Following that extremely long leg, we have a much shorter leg, not that it's any shorter on content! We got a few battles to cover for this leg, and I have to really pray that I don't lose any more Pokémon...so, let's dive in, and please don't die, guys, I need y'all.

Oh, and I have comments to reply to! Thanks as always for commenting, y'all. : )
man, talk about an explosive update am i right? *shot*

The death and loss of fire resistance sucks, but to be fair, when you have Ice coverage, Fire becomes pretty redundant.

At least Claret is using her psychic type well by killing everything that has a special stat lower than 70/weak to psychic.
You come into my thread, on the day after my Ponyta is killed, and you make light of these explosives who nearly eliminated her comrades? For shame.
All jokes aside of course, yeah, all things considered it's probably the least valuable team member that could have been killed at this point, so I suppose we will make do.
Claret is a beast, that is for sure.

Thats an oof from me fam
Oof indeed, oof indeed.

hello, you are very brave to do this challenge xD i would not be able to accomplish this I think, your team is v neat as well and has a lot of coverage considering that it's Gen 1! also ouch that loss, that was a harsh way to go D:
I tell ya, I'm still not entirely sure I'll be able to do this either. I do think that Gen 1 has its inherent advantages of generally being pretty easy but also having really crummy mechanics in places. When I do later gens I honestly expect this to get noticeably harder, but so far yeah I've been having a lot of fun with this team, with Pokémon I hardly ever use. (I don't think I've ever really used a Tauros before).

Yeah, Flame's death was rough but I'm more upset at the fact I died to Mirror Move crit when I knew it had Mirror Move than Flame actually dying. Although this would be much worse if it were a Pokémon like Auburn or Claret dying.

Update the banner with victreebel you coward Losing ponyta is sad, but at the end of the day grass and rock already have team members to take care of them, so it’s definitely the least crushing loss we couldv’e had. Hope to see more soon.
Haha I typically update the banner with the ending team of the leg before the most previously posted one. Just to avoid spoilers! And yeah, losing Flame is unfortunate but honestly I'm at a good place with the rest of the team being as busted as it is (Auburn and Claret have proven extremely powerful up to this point) but I do need to be a little careful moving forward, as the end of the midgame is pretty rough.
Alright, so even though the level cap doesn't change in this leg, I do have to be pretty careful for this next matchup because it's the Psychic gym. Even with similar levels, I find the Psychic gym noticeably harder for...well, Gen I reasons. That said, I can fall back on my three physically offensive juggernauts. Each one carries its own advantage against the Gym; Crimson could be good as it carries the highest Speed and an advantage against Venomoth at the cost of the lowest Attack and Special, while Auburn is the bulkiest of the options but carries no inherent advantage, and finally Scarlet has basically 100% crit Slash, but is the slowest and most frail of the three. Unfortunately the option that I wanted for this team, Flame, is out of commission...so I'll have to go in with a little bit of risk. I definitely don't think that I'll wipe here, but I really hope that I don't come out of the Gym battle with a casualty.
Much like the last update, we start off by actually finishing the Silph Co. subplot. Which means rival battle #6! This is where Blue actually starts getting pretty difficult, and it's even more so true because we are evenly matched in numbers. Of course, Auburn may still be able to single-handedly win this...

Okay, yeah....Auburn might actually need some help this time.

How I imagine Blue talking to his Pidgeot right now

All that being said his Pidgeot did actually manage to get a Quick Attack off before Auburn took it out, so I guess it wasn't a total wash.

Why do you still have an Exeggcute, anyways? I feel like this match would be so much more threatening if an Exeggutor was on the team.

Eh, well...okay, I guess not that bad. I guess I kinda forget that Auburn's Special being usable doesn't mean that's it's great...

Um...really? You're serious?

Well uh, I guess that works out. Who's next!?

Gyarados dying to Thunderbolt is about as much of a guarantee as ... uh ... okay I'm not gonna lie I spent 5 minutes trying to think of a simile but nothing's coming. Whatever, on to the next one!

Okay, this Alakazam could be problematic. That said, Auburn should outspeed. Will he get the KO, though? Honestly not too sure.

One more to go. Definitely don't have anything to OHKO this but at least it doesn't have much to fight back with.

Yeah, as expected. Charizard has decent Special and is only one level below. Still...

And that does it! As it is written, Auburn is Blue's father.

I always was confused why Blue calls Giovanni "Boss Rocket" but I guess he never did learn what his name was, anyhow. Speaking of Giovanni...

Oh, I almost forgot! With a free space in the party, and no one being able to learn Surf (thanks Auburn) I guess the free Lapras works out!

I mean, why not?

Alright, now it's Giovanni time. He honestly isn't too big of a deal but I guess we'll throw him into the update for posterity.

Shoot, I forgot he doesn't lead with Rhyhorn in this battle. Not sure why I thought that.

We'll give Crimson his time in the sun for a bit then, at least until the Rhyhorn does come around.

Hm, Drill Peck did less than I thought. I thought it could definitely OHKO...oh well. A crit Swift clears that up.

With better moves this would actually be threatening. Come to think, why didn't they give teams TM moves? I mean, I guess this is only a thing in Red and Blue...so I'll chalk it up to limited memory space and roll with it.

What's with the bizarre item use in this update?

Welp, anyways, moving on.

Alright, now Burgundy can come back in.

Right...okay let's wrap this up.

Well, I guess Burgundy can handle this. Since Nidoqueen is a stone evolution, it's not like it's going to have very good moves anyways...

Ah, well that's a darn shame. At least Nidoqueen is bad when used by NPC's, versus how good it is when you get to have one.

Alright Claret, time to clean up.

Dang. I must be losing my touch.

gg ez

What even exactly were your plans for Silph, anyways? The steal the Master Ball? You can have it, I'm not using it anyways...still, if this battle has taught me anything, it's that

Alright, so after that mess, and with new access to Surf, I took out some Swimmers and dealt with the Saffron Gym trainers with no issues. With a little extra wild grinding, here's how the team is looking before the face-off with Sabrina. I fumbled back and forth between having Crimson be my lead and Auburn as my lead, but I ultimately decided on Crimson, just in case that tiny extra boost in Speed could help. I'm really hoping that the slightly less Attack doesn't come back to bite us, but with all of Sabrina's Pokémon being relatively frail, I feel fairly confident in my choice.

Bring it, Sabrina.

Kadabra goes down to a Drill Peck easy...

Mr. Mime also goes down easy. Good start so far.

Easy enough. Though we all know it's not these three Pokémon that are worth worrying about.

This is the real opponent. Let's hope I made the right choice. Go for the Drill Peck, and...

AH COME ON!!! OF COURSE THE SLIGHT DIFFERENCE IN ATTACK MATTERED.

Dang, now we have to avoid a crit Psybeam...please oh please don't kill Crimson...

YES HOLY SHIT SHE THREW SO FREAKIN' HARD LET'S GOOOOOO

I am sooo glad that Alakazam didn't go for Psybeam. Gen 1 AI is a blessing.
Well, I'd say that went about as well I could hope for it to. No one died, the team is still looking strong even without Flame, and well, I'd say that things are looking up for the team. That being said we aren't nearly as dominant as when we were from Cerulean all the way to Celadon. I guess I'm spoilt by how good this team performed in the mid game. Still, the team went in pretty well-prepared for Sabrina and things went just about as well as they could have. Now the future looks pretty bright; Auburn should be able to deal with Blaine, Claret and Burgundy should have no problem against the final gym, and they're keeping up with the level cap. Even one Pokémon down, I'm feeling pretty good about my chances to make it to the end. But I'm not going to jinx it, anything can happen in a nuzlocke...

Thanks again for reading, fellas! Work has been piling up lately but I'm getting a short break, so I'll try to keep the content coming! As always, thanks for your comments. : )

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This ghost tries to be studious and businesslike, but will squee or keysmash easily. They would love to cuddle every adorable cat in the world.
Nice work on Sabrina! I'm very glad to see that she can be outsped and OHKOed haha, and that all of your team made it through xD

greenbeanbottle

Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 1, 2020
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
He / Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Clever
Sorry for the lack of updates! No excuse for it - I was just feeling lazy. BUT! Here it is - the next update of the Sixlocke, and it's a double-header! Two gyms - let's hop right in.

Wow, check out that snazzy new team image!
Seeing as we're approaching the home stretch of our adventure, I'd say it's about time for us to clear up shop so we can keep the inventory open.

You know, people rag on Hoenn for having too much water; take a look at this bullshit.

Reason #17215 that level-up movesets in Generation I are completely dumb.

After we took out the Swimmers around Cinnabar Island, we went ahead and made our way to the Pokémon Mansion, which is chock-full of really useful items...

I flip-flopped for a while thinking about whether or not I should do this. On the one hand, Blizzard has 120 BP compared 75 BP. On the other, Blizzard is slightly inaccurate and only has 5 PP. Ultimately decided that the raw power was going to be worth it, especially in the road ahead.

Gym time! (Already? Jeez.) Went ahead and beat up the trainers, because solving quizzes is for NERDS.

After topping the rest of the team off, this is the team I went into the Blaine fight with. Clearly we are at a bit of disadvantage type-wise, with three of five members of the team being weak to Fire. Still, that leaves us with offensive juggernauts Auburn and Crimson. Auburn is the obvious lead thanks to Earthquake, so this really shouldn't be too bad.

I can't even use items in battle, did you forget to read the rules?

One down...

That's two...(also RIP Flame never forget)

Make that three...

Get out the broom cuz you just got swe-

Ah. Well. I forget that Arcanine is actually decently bulky. Welp, Auburn, be ready to tank a Fire Blast...

Well, that's...uh...not only did you choose the wrong move, but...you also missed...hm.

Get out the broom cuz you just got swept boiiiii

Welp, not much else to do besides to take on the last gym. Let's do this.

I'm comin' for you, Giovanni. Here's the team after taking out the Gym trainers and doing a little bit of grinding in the Pokémon Mansion, the team is set. Obviously, as a Ground-type user, Claret is the obvious choice for taking them out. Now, Burgundy and Auburn are still both available in case of an emergency, but Claret should be able to pull through. Let's go.

Everything we've worked for.

Every trial we've faced, every close call...

Let's finish this. Time for the final badge.

Giovanni...bring. It. On.

JUST

KIDDING

GET

FREAKIN'

SWEPT

BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Yeah, uh...no. No it was not. Get out of here Giovanni. But with this, we have every badge, which means it's the part of the run where everyone dies definitely makes it out alive.

We're in the endgame now.
And so begins the preparation for the end game. Honestly I'm surprised that as many members of the team have survived for as long as they have. One death in a nuzlocke is not too bad (sure, Gen I is one of the easier games to nuzlocke) but it's been a lot of fun using this team! But now we have to start preparing for the final stretch - the last rival battle, Victory Road, grinding, and finally, the Elite Four and Champion. The level cap jumps up to a whopping 65 (67 including the handicap due to Flame dying), so we've got a lot of training to do. That being said, I do feel confident about our chances. The biggest challenges are likely going to be Lorelei and Agatha, and of course Blue, but Bruno and Lance should be pretty easy thanks to Claret. Auburn even has a pretty good shot of handling itself well against Lorelei and Agatha. I feel like if I can go into the League battles without losing another Pokémon, we can win. I'm knocking on wood though.

As always, thanks for reading! Next update - whether we win or lose... will be the end!

greenbeanbottle

Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 1, 2020
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
He / Him
Pokémon Type
Grass, Clever
It's time.
So, obviously we have a few things to do before we take on the League. In particular, we have one more rival fight, Victory Road, and a hell of a lot of grinding to go. If we can be deathless off of that, I honestly don't really think that there will be much to fear from the Elite Four. Of course, that could come back to haunt me...

Bring it, nerd.

Auburn takes the lead role again because who better to beat Blue down than with Auburn? That being said the level gap has certainly closed...

...Not that the Pidgeot seems to pose any threat whatsoever. I mean, there's a reason Tauros is one of the most competitively viable Pokémon in R/B/Y...

And that takes care of that. Who's next?

Hm, maybe I should have gone for Ice Beam there. Oh well.

NO! OH HELL NO YOU DID NOT JUST DO THAT I SWEAR TO ARCEUS I'LL -

Oh. Um...right. Hold on just a moment. *furious typing*

Ahem...r-right, I knew that, I wasn't mortally terrified at all! Ha ha ha... (okay in actuality I shouldn't be scared but gimme a break it's an OHKO move, I don't ever like seeing that pop up)

Remediating that mistake...let's move on from that.

Okay, really though. Why does Blue still have this?

As always, Gyarados easily goes down to Thunderbolt. You know, without this move Gyarados would easily be the most threatening member of Blue's team besides...

...You. I can never be too careful around you.

Oh. Crisis averted, then. EAT IT NERD

Wow, that does significantly less than I was expecting. Well, Auburn's healthy so realistically this shouldn't be too ba-

WE DON'T MIIIIIIISSSSSSSSS

Wow, I forgot Tauros learns moves this late. Ultimately Strength suffices...not that we could get rid of it if we wanted...

Somehow you know that you're gonna have Level 60+ 'mons by the time I face you next, so yeah, I guess this statement is pretty accurate in spite of the fact that I absolutely smashed your face in.

Skipping ahead a bit...Victory Road! I actually kind of like the nice touch they did in making Victory Road be a dungeon within a building. Very cool. That said the trainers here aren't altogether too threatening...

See? There are quite a variety of trainers to be found here, but the team I have seems to be good with beating them soundly.

We did have a bit of a...situation later with a wild Golbat confusing Auburn and then proceeding to hit itself four times in a row...not worth it.

Welp, Victory Road didn't really have much to report, but looking at the team, we're at a clean Level 51. That's nowhere near where we need to be for the League battles...so there's definitely some grinding in order! Unfortunately I'm pretty sure we exhausted our trainer battles, so we're going to have to just battle wild Pokémon at...ludicrous speed.

I hate this part of the game so much, but at least I feel ready to take on the league. Level 60 should be sufficient and we'll probably pick up a level or two along the way. Plus Gen 1 AI really goes in our favor at this point so I wouldn't be surprised to see a dumb move or two on the part of the Elite Four.

Got some supplies for the battles ahead. With four points in which I can heal, I got 5 Full Restores for each so that I can be fully healed for any battle. Then, of course, we have Ethers and Elixirs in case we need 'em.

Alright, before we head in, let's do a quick team roll call! First up - Crimson the Fearow. Not much has changed with Crimson since mid-game and he hasn't done much, but is a pretty fast physical attacker that will serve as a backup heavy hitter as needed. The lack of bulk is certainly a concern, but again, if it plays a supporting attacker role it shouldn't be an issue.

Second, we have Burgundy the Victreebel. Unfortunately Grass moves aren't that useful at this stage, but I do think that Burgundy will be good for the first Elite Four battle against Lorelei. Beyond that, however, it's hard to say. It has Sleep Powder still in case things get really bad, but again, I think Burgundy is relegated to a support role beyond Lorelei.

Third is Claret the Jynx! This is where the moveset is going to be extremely important. That Defense (or lack thereof) is what really worries me leading into battles, so I think that Claret won't be called upon for matchups she can't OHKO easily. She could be good for Bruno, Agatha, or Lance, but the Pokémon that's gonna carry us is...

This guy. Auburn the Tauros, our fourth member, is definitely the one with the best stats by far, and has the moveset to just about mow over everything, or at least inflict super-effective damage. It has moves to handle pretty much any threat and the bulk to survive those hits. If Auburn falls I will be very, very worried.

Last up is Scarlet, the Scyther. Good Attack and 100% crit chance on Slash is good but Scarlet is going to be useless against some Pokémon. I don't really see me using Scarlet much unless shit really hits the fan, but otherwise I think we good.

Alright. This is it. It's time to end this run. Either we beat the Elite Four or we lose.

Let's.

Freaking.

Do it.

Bring it on, lady.

As I mentioned, most of Lorelei's team consists of Water-types, so Burgundy should be fine. The threat of Ice type attacks is certainly there, but I think Burgundy is Specially bulky enough to tank.

One down, easy. Crit Razor Leaf is amazing for this battle.

Make that two!

Slowbro is actually pretty tanky so I'm putting it to sleep for extra insurance...

Oh. Never mind! Three for three!

Alright, we know what Claret can do so I am not messing with this one. Swapping out!

Time to send in the crutch best member of our team!

Huh, I was expecting Ice Punch. No no, this works fine.

As a Jynx user, we know how pitifully bad its physical Defense is, so Strength is plenty.

Alright, this one is actually scary cause it only has pretty good moves and is bulky. Thunderbolt won't be enough, but Auburn should be able to tank a hit...

As expected...

Oof, that actually hit a little harder. That said, barring a Gen I miss...

Oh, you're kidding. It was a 3HKO range and I just got unlucky!? Oh boy...Auburn, please please please dodge a crit...

Pleeeeeease...

...Damn, we're getting pretty lucky today. *knocks on wood*

And that takes care of that.

One down! A little shakier than I was expecting but you know what, it all works out in the end. On to Bruno!

This is probably the easiest of the battles so I'm really not all too concerned. That being said...and say it with me folks!

Y'all ready?

GET OUT

THE BROOM

CAUSE YOU

JUST GOT

FREAKIN' SWEPT,

BOIIIIIII

Alright then, enough of that, on to Agatha. This can get pretty tough depending on how lucky I get with Agatha choosing her moves.

I figure that Auburn is my best bet for tanking things, plus it hits everything but Golbat with super effective Earthquakes, so this may work.

Legitimately kinda surprised that Gengar was outsped, but hey, we take those.

Figured that Golbat would be out next, but outside of confusing me, there's not much it can do. So let's just hope it doesn't do that!

Pretty solid damage, but definitely not gonna nab the KO.

Golbat = Certified dummy

And that should take care of that. From here I should be able to sweep with Earthquake unless the last Gengar outspeeds, which is certainly a possibility.

Haunter is an easy KO due to just being a worse Gengar...

Honestly Agatha could have populated her team with wayyy scarier Poison-types. Like where's Weezing? Or Muk?

Alright, moment of truth. Does Auburn outspeed?

Spoiler: Yes.

Welp, that was easier than expected! Three down, one more E4 member to go, and we're pretty well prepped for this next one.

Them's fightin' words, Lance. We are more than ready for you.

If our rival has taught us anything (and that's a stretch) it's this...

Even a super-powerful Pokémon like Gyarados can't stand up to a 4x Electric weakness.

Oh, finally a level-up. I was wondering when this would happen, it came around much later than I thought.

Easy pickings for Tauros's Ice Beam.

Naturally, the second Dragonair goes down in the exact same...wait, hold on a moment.

Can we zoom in on that a little more please?

Ah, thank you for understanding Lance. Ahem...let's try that again.

Much better. Proceed!

Honestly not all too sure whether or not this will KO, but Auburn's still at full health so realistically I'm not too concerned.

Yep, as I thought...

Okay, we didn't need a do-over this time, Lance, that was just for the Dragonair.

All right, shoot. We'll run it back. What do you have for us this time?

Oh. That's probably going to hurt a bit.

Or not much at all.

And that's all she wrote. Just one more Pokémon to go...

Here we go. Level 62 Dragonite. Now, given our track record with Ice Beam in this battle so far, it's anyone's guess whether or not this KO's.

Moment of truth. It will...

Not KO? Really? Damn, I mean, I guess Auburn's Special isn't actually that great, but...

I mean it's Hyper Potions and he only has one Dragonite and this is Red version...but the point stands.

But I'd like to see your Hyper Potions save you from CRITS

Phew...welp, we've defeated the Elite Four, and no casualties! We have just one more trainer to face...

Yes, that is what I just said.

Here's the team going into the Champion battle, and I must say I feel good about my odds. That said, I'm leading with Claret this time around instead of Auburn because, while I would love to reinforce the narrative of Auburn completely owning Blue, it only seems fair to start with something that can definitely OHKO his lead Pidgeot.

Yeah, I see...let's see if we can fix that.

Get your favorite hype music out, let's rock and roll.

1 level under? No worries. We've got this.

Easy money, and now we've got an even playing field. Now the real battle begins.

Ah, bringing out the big guns already. But you've forgotten a very important detail...

GET KISSED! With Alakazam neutralized for now...

We out here reinforcing narratives, bois.

Excellent! That's one threat that I was particularly worried about down.

Huh, that's oddly-timed but still could be convenient.

Not gonna make the mistake of using Earthquake this time.

Ugh, looks like I just missed on this one too. Looks like I over-relied on Auburn's Special...

Looks like someone took Lance's advice.

But just like I told him, healing won't save you from CRITS! Also, another conveniently-timed level-up.

Okay, positives - its moveset sucks. Negatives - it's Specially very bulky.

Case in both points.

Switched over to Strength, but it didn't quite get the job done. Still, Auburn managed to get out of that battle with relatively minimal damage.

Oh boy, here we go. Well, if Lance was any indication...

See ya later.

Oh. Uh...that's not good.

Oh yeah, yuck, I did not like how that round played out.
So now I gotta think of a strategy. There's only Charizard left after this. Burgundy, Claret, and Scarlet are all poor switch-ins. I don't feel super confident about Crimson tanking a Fire Blast from a Level 65 Charizard. I really don't like this but I'm going to chance it and leave Auburn in. Thunderbolt should do about half, but Auburn might go down. Any way I spin it there's going to be some risk involved, but I think my best chance at keeping a Pokémon alive...

Welp. No turning back now. Let's see if Auburn can be the MVP of this run and reinforce the narrative of Auburn owning Blue.

Alright. This is it. Auburn...hang tough.

Good damage...pick a bad move, maybe?

Literally the worst move he could have chosen...alright Auburn, hang in there...!

He lived it.

That Tauros actually did it. Dang. Now I see why competitive battlers from Gen I are so terrified of this thing.

It's over. Pokémon Red Sixlocke, complete. 1 death, 5 survivors. I'd say for a first time sixlocke, I did a pretty darn good job.

Honestly, I know Pokémon Red / Blue / Yellow are pretty easy games, but I definitely didn't do myself any favors with the moveset. In later generations I definitely think it'll be tougher, but I think I was also bailed out by having Tauros and Jynx. Both have been exceedingly good.

I'm honestly very happy with how this run was, I had so much fun. I never get to use some of these Pokémon and they impressed me in various ways. When I do Pokémon Blue next I'm really going to be looking forward to how the completely different team will impact how I play the run. I felt like I got to play pretty aggro with this team, but maybe in the next run I'll have to be more defensive. It'll be interesting to see. But for now, our hall of fame! Crimson, Burgundy, Auburn, Claret, Scarlet...congratulations on not dying! WOOOO

Damn, 29 hours? Grinding sucks.
MVP: Auburn the Tauros.
I mean, after that Elite Four and Champion battle, was there ever really any doubt? I will give Claret props for being as good as it was. And yes, sometimes Auburn's low Special has put us in some undesirable situations (like that Champion battle), but ultimately Auburn was very reliable. Overall, using this team was a very fun experience. Trying to figure out what to use was an interesting process, one that I felt was really novel. I'm really looking forward to the Blue run coming up next, but for now I think I need a little break from posting...these updates took quite a bit of time and effort in between my regular working hours and spending time doing other things. But trust me, I've been doing plenty of Sixlockes ahead (I'm actually finishing up Pokémon Crystal right now) and oh boy...some of these sixlockes go really interestingly! So until then, thanks for reading and I hope to bring more sixlocke content soon lol.

As always, thanks for reading! I really enjoy making these posts but boy are they time consuming! Since I'm finally done with Pokémon Red Sixlocke, I'm gonna take a little break until I start posting my next Dexlocke. I'm not sure which game I'll do next...I've been playing the games chronologically in order (working on Pokémon Crystal right now). But I imagine I'll probably post a Gen II game next. I'm thinking Gold version will be next. But, like I said, I'm gonna need a short break before I start tackling that project. Gold's a long game, and is likewise quite a project. I also have some ideas on how to spice up the run a little bit next time. But until then, as always, thanks for reading and following along with my run. : )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)