• Ten years and still kicking! Nominations are here for the 2020 Nuzforums Extravaganza! #HappyNuzYear
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Comic Johto Teen Mon Gary's Golden Adventure - A HeartGold Nuzlocke

Thread Description
It's been three years since Gary Oak's short reign as Champion of the Kanto Region, and the fierce trainer has been aching for some action. When strange sightings of people matching the descriptions of the now defunct Team Rocket start occurring in the Johto region, Professor Oak sends his grandson to the west to investigate this heinous resurgence.

Ardomew

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
The Violet Wizard. Passionate about art, food, and games.
Howdy, friends! Welcome to something that I've been really excited to work on for a long time! Some of you might remember that I once worked on a Blue Nuzlocke many years ago. Well, I'm here to bring you a sequel to that comic starring everybody's favourite motherfucker! It's an idea I've considered for several years, and I'm very excited to actually be working on it! I hope you all enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy drawing it!
1 - Captures: You must capture only the first Pokémon you encounter for each area (route, town, dungeon, etc.)
1a: Duplicate encounters (aka a Pokémon I already own) may be skipped until you find a non-duplicate
1b: Shinies are fair game, even if they're not first encounters

2 - Death: If a Pokémon's HP hits Zero, it's dead and must be permanently Boxed

3 - Names: All Pokémon must be nicknamed. They're living, thinking individuals, after all

4 - Fair Game: You can only challenge a Gym Leader with the same number of Pokémon on your team that they have on their team (for example, Falkner uses two Pokémon, so I can only have two Pokémon in my team when I fight him)

With that out of the way, here's our Prologue to help anybody that hasn't seen Ardomew's Blue Nuzlocke to understand our main character and what he's been through in the past.

Exciting stuff, right? It was really nostalgic for me drawing and writing this prologue.

Next time, we see what Gramps has in store for our protagonist.

Smell ya later! ;)

Last edited:

Kadew

sometimes life really is quite lovely
🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
If you encounter a wild Kadew, best practice is to gently bully her into remembering that she loves to draw. She forgets, sometimes.
Oh interesting, a comic with Gary as the protagonist instead of the rival! I'll have to give this a read. I see that there's quite a backlog already, will this be updating page by page on the new forums here as though that was a buffer, or will you be picking up again where you left off? If the former I might read along that way, easier to digest and since you haven't linked a convenient gallery for reading it's a bit easier than opening and closing one million tabs. Unless you do have some other place for reading?

Ardomew

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Kadew, my plan for the time being is to release each post from the original Topic onto this forum once a day, to simulate the feeling of this series expanding over time. I will be leaving the Table of Contents the way it is now if people are fine with catching up with what I've got already.

With that said, who's ready for a new update!

For those of you who are confused, I made Professor Oak a stoner in my Blue Nuzlocke. Brilliant character building, ain't it?

So there's the setup for this story. Gary's been called in to investigate the potential resurgence of Team Rocket after all these years. What dangers and experiences await him in the Johto region? We'll just have to wait and see!
Next time, we're finally dropping into a whole new world... that's ten feet to the west of our old one.

Kadew

🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
If you encounter a wild Kadew, best practice is to gently bully her into remembering that she loves to draw. She forgets, sometimes.
Ok, slow release makes sense. Buffers are nice, and I think I will just let the story trickle out as it does. A shame about weedy oak, the old man deserves better, but I guess past you tied you down into that. And it justified that good pun in the spoiler tag, so all is forgiven. I'm looking forward to seeing how Gary deals with ten-feet-to-the-west world and being brought down from champion tier back to looking like a amateur trainer.

Ardomew

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
@Kadew, I had a very different sense of humour when I first wrote that comic. Still, it was fun to use this version of Samuel again.

Time for our next page!

The adventure has finally begun!
I went with Totodile as my starter here since I've used Chikorita and Cyndaquil in Nuzlockes before this one. While I prefer Cyndaquil, Totodile is still a really reliable choice, so I knew I'd have a great time with Tobias on the team. It pains me that I made the Cyndaquil a jerk though...
Hmm, that red-haired fellow seems quite cross with our protagonist... probably not important, though.
BTW, this will be the last long update for quite a while. It was fun merging pages together into single updates, but from here on out pages will be much shorter.

Next time, we take our first steps into the Johto frontier, and find some new friends!

Kadew

🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Wow, Gary's such an incredible trainer that he destroyed his rival without even noticing! What a champ.

Ardomew

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
@Kadew, Passerby Boy ain't gonna go down that easily. :sweatdrop:
A new page has arrived!

Gary and Tobias' conversations were really fun to write. I think it's really important to get the trainers and their Pokémon interacting and learning about each other right away. Too bad Gary's not in the mood for chit-chat. :wooper:

I started this challenge right at 8pm so I could get a Hoothoot as my first catch. Needless to say, my plan worked perfectly. We'll see more of this character in the near future(and perhaps another one very soon).
Next time, we see where Gary and Tobias head to next!

Kadew

🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
I agree with Gary, chikorita is the ideal starter. Poor Tobias though, all this disrespect, *and* getting stuck with the classic has-a-monocle trope of teammate. I hope he'll have his day to shine soon.

Dingopox

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
She, her
Pokémon Type
Flying
Pokédex Entry
Despite being found outside it's Australian home range, wild DIngopox still feeds exclusively on Timtams.
G’day Ardomew! I tend to review in bulk but damn! Having Oak as a weedhead is a heck of a way to set the tone! What an original idea! The fact Gareth has already defeated the league and has to start again is brilliant. And having his Starter turn against him has got to mean trust issues which I look forward to seeing his growth. Tobias is awesome straight from the start, I love the name so I love the character.
So you have me hooked! I can’t wait to see more!

Ardomew

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
@Kadew, he never imagined his trainer would be so antisocial. Gotta break those expectations when you're on a mission like this!
@Dingopox, thank you so much for your kind words! I'm so happy you're on board with this series, and I hope to keep you entertained throughout it!
With that said, here is the newest page!

Reginald was my Route 29 encounter, while Matthew was met at Route 46. I had quite a lot of fun writing and drawing these two. You can tell that one of them is a lot more eager about being captured than the other.
Next time, Gary continues his journey to Violet City... hang on, I feel like we're forgetting something?

Kadew

🌱Featurer
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 10, 2019
Nature
Careful
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Grass, Normal
Pokédex Entry
Darn, missed your early geodude chance on that route. Enjoy the rat who thinks he's a tour guide. Wonder how he'll feel about that sudden ball to the face once he gets let out. He seemed to be pretty friendly and helpful before getting clobbered, after all.

Ardomew

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
Oops, I forgot to update yesterday! Here's a double feature to make up for it!

I had a lot of fun with these two pages. Spinarak was one of the first Gen 2 Pokémon I ever saw, and I've always wanted to use one in a game, but never got around to it. This Nuzlocke was the perfect opportunity to finally add one to my team, and I couldn't be more happy. Crafting Vanessa's character and personality while playing the game was really fun, and I was really excited to share this sly spider with you all. Hope you enjoyed this introduction to a character I'm overjoyed to have!
Next time, we take a brief detour back to New Bark Town to see how Professor Elm is doing.

Dingopox

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
She, her
Pokémon Type
Flying
Pokédex Entry
Despite being found outside it's Australian home range, wild DIngopox still feeds exclusively on Timtams.
New drinking game! Take a shot every time Gareth says ‘The Mission!’

Reginald is just the perfect name, I love the introducing pose and I laughed aloud when describes Matthew as an emergency ration. Vanessa’s accent is gorgeous, I already have a mental picture of a southern belle. Tobias is such a snark!

Ardomew

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
@Dingopox, I'm glad the team is to your liking. I definitely had a lot of fun writing them.

The crimson-haired boy makes his move! What a shock!
Will Gary be able to handle this startling new crisis? Will the red rogue make a clean getaway? Stay tuned for the answers!

Ardomew

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
We're back with another update!

Looks like Gary's found the trouble he's been looking for. Or, has it found him?
Next time, Gary and the redhead lock horns!

HawkAussie

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Pokémon Type
Water, Dark
Woah ok what does this man have to do with Gary. That is the question.

Dingopox

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
She, her
Pokémon Type
Flying
Pokédex Entry
Oooh, what an interesting conundrum. I guess this puts the Rival in the position of 'plucky underdog' going against an ex-champion! It'll be interesting to see how this power plays out!

Ardomew

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A new update is upon us!

And so, the battle begins. Friends turn against friends, while new rivalries are forged.
How will this battle end? We'll just have to wait and see...

Ardomew

Johto League Champion
Artist
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Normal, Psychic
Pokédex Entry

The battle rages on, and begins to take a dire turn. Will Tobias be able to take the hit?
Next time, the conclusion to this frantic brawl!

Dingopox

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Impish
Pronouns
She, her
Pokémon Type
Flying
Pokédex Entry
Whoa, a Razor Leaf already? That's brutal CHerry!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)