• Drumroll please... The results for the 2020 Nuzforums Extravaganza are up! Congrats to all our participants and our winners this year for the 10th anniversary! #HappyNuzYear
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • This spooky-themed special episode wraps up the inaugural season of The Writer's Locke! As a sweetener we’ve included a roundtable with glancesherlock, all about Gracidea! Clocking in at around 100 minutes, this episode is an absolute chonker and an utter delight. Thank you for your support, Nuzforums!
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Nuzlocke General Frustrating Things in Nuzlockes

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
It was alright in gen 1 as you could just buy all of the stones bar the Moon Stone, and there's enough Moon Stones for all 4 evolutions. Gen 2 is where it got bad, and then gen 4 added a load of single use evolution items. It wouldn't be as bad if they didn't disappear after use. At least Sword and Shield has regenerating stones in the Lake of Outrage but before that game you're shit out of luck. Especially when the item for a trade evolution is postgame locked behind a fucking battle facility.

RevenantArcan

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Psychic
SwSh introduced so many quality of life fixes regarding extant evolutions (Even if some of the new ones are... dumb).

The Battle Facility thing is one of the absolute worst things, though. Especially in HeartGold/SoulSilver. Not just for evolution items, either, but TMs. There are TMs there that are only available in the Battle Frontier and it's ridiculous that you've got to go through the facilities where the AI outright cheats just to get them. Let alone doing it in a Nuzlocke (Unless you're only doing Factory).

HGSS is a big part of why I'm never sad if the Battle Whatever isn't in the game.

Arbitrary

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
I'm rusty as fuck with nuzlockes... just lost Monferno to Roark because I decided not to switch out thinking I could OHKO Cranidos, but no, I got wrecked. At least I had a Geodude to finish it off but wow that was embarrassingly bad. This is going to be a rough run, because I've banned healing items in battle.

Alba Corbina

Johto League Champion
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
Lusamine's freaking Clefable in the battle in Ultra Space. Moonlight+Cosmic Power is the worst!

RevenantArcan

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Psychic
Lusamine's freaking Clefable in the battle in Ultra Space. Moonlight+Cosmic Power is the worst!
Oh my god, this.

I fought her the other day and it took me 24 turns to kill that bloody thing. All four of her others were one-shots.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Oddly enough, it didn't give me any trouble. Two Cross Poisons from my Crobat and it dropped like a stone.

Mr Spaz

I caught the big– OH SHIT
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 6, 2019
Nature
Modest
Pronouns
He/Him/It
Pokémon Type
Electric, Flying, Ghost
She's setup bait for anything that can comfortably tank a Moonblast. One time she Metronomed into Memento right after I got to +6 SpA and I was on the floor laughing.

RevenantArcan

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Psychic
Oddly enough, it didn't give me any trouble. Two Cross Poisons from my Crobat and it dropped like a stone.
Yeah, the only thing I had that dealt super-effective damage was Sludge Bomb on Gastrodon, which, between it's +Sp.Def aura and Cosmic Power, wasn't doing anything. I ended up switching into Ninetales and spamming Frost Breath to cut through its buffs with auto-crits.

She's setup bait for anything that can comfortably tank a Moonblast. One time she Metronomed into Memento right after I got to +6 SpA and I was on the floor laughing.
Yeah, I rarely ever used setup moves in-game unless they're really worth it, because most of the time using a set-up move and then attacking yields the same result as just attacking twice.

As for Metronome, it pulled; Swords Dance, Heal Bell, Glare, and then a bunch of varying damage attacks before it finally died. Then after that it was Crunch, Flare Blitz, Leaf Blade, Z-move, dead. Though the Lilligant might've been annoying if I didn't give my Flareon a Lum Berry, since it went for Teeter Dance.

Alba Corbina

Johto League Champion
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 26, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Dark, Fairy
I didn't have a physical attacker with super-effective STAB and I forgot to put my Magnezone at the front of the party, so it got a free Cosmic Power off while I was switching.

PageEmperor

Kermit Seismitoad isn’t real, it can’t hurt you
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Has tons of plans that he can’t put out right now because he is too busy.
I spend an eternity times an eternity setting up a new Sacred Gold run, only to know it constantly crashes on me. Once it starts to not crash on me, it sends me all the way back before I got my catches.

In other words, my team in this run is really gonna be a three man stand for a while.

By the way, it’s still fucking crashing.

Last edited:

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Did you know that in Pokemon White, wild level 12 Throh have Bind AND Bide? Which means that if you switch into anything that has only attacking moves, you'd better hope you can 2HKO it, or else you're gonna have a bad time.

I thought I could 2HKO it. Alas, I had a bad time.

TrueZero2

Ninja! Comic! Best Match!
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 3, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Electric, Poison
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did you know that in Pokemon White, wild level 12 Throh have Bind AND Bide? Which means that if you switch into anything that has only attacking moves, you'd better hope you can 2HKO it, or else you're gonna have a bad time.

I thought I could 2HKO it. Alas, I had a bad time.
Wasn't in a nuzlocke at the time, but I did use one in my first playthrough team. Yeah, it was a bad time trying to catch him, but he was so tanky after I did.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
I heard that Fighting types are pretty powerful in Unova. Not looking forward to having to fight Marshall.

RevenantArcan

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Psychic
I heard that Fighting types are pretty powerful in Unova. Not looking forward to having to fight Marshall.
They're pretty strong, but not really that much scarier than a Machamp or suchlike. The problem is that Game Freak decided they should get Rock and Dark moves by level, and they will get to use one of those attacks. Throh and Conk are extremely bulky, and Sawk has Sturdy.

Scrafty is fairly average but High Jump Kick can and will blindside you. Mienshao is fairly average too, but it's fast and has a good array of moves.

Fairies make them much easier to deal with in Gen VI onwards, as none of them get Poison Jab by level.

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This ghost tries to be studious and businesslike, but will squee or keysmash easily. They would love to cuddle every adorable cat in the world.
The problem is that Game Freak decided they should get Rock and Dark moves by level, and they will get to use one of those attacks. Throh and Conk are extremely bulky, and Sawk has Sturdy.

Scrafty is fairly average but High Jump Kick can and will blindside you. Mienshao is fairly average too, but it's fast and has a good array of moves.

Fairies make them much easier to deal with in Gen VI onwards, as none of them get Poison Jab by level.
What doesn't help is that some common BW flyers might struggle to counter the bulkier Fighting types. The Unfezant line is neutral to Fighting and doesn't get a good physical Flying move until Fly, so they're relying on weaker Special moves until then (and poor Pidove is in the same area as things as powerful as Throh and Sawk). Archeops is frail, neutral to Fighting and Defeatist lowers its offensive capabilities. Swoobat, Emolga and Swanna share the problem of being frail while not being amazing attackers. And all of them could get taken out by Rock coverage. I had an Escavalier spamming Swords Dance and Aerial Ace against Marshal, and I was a lot less worried about him than I was about my Unfezant against previous Fighting types. And of course as you said, there's Dark coverage to take advantage of the Unova Psychics who might be lacking Physical bulk.

Also, seconding being worried about Mienshao. Flying and Fighting moves together can be tricky to withstand (and while Bounce can be played around, it also comes with a paralysis chance). Meanwhile, U-Turn plus Regenerator gives this thing extra HP and momentum as well as hurting Psychic types. It's very fast and hard-hitting, so things that are slower than it could struggle. And Hi Jump Kick is just an incredibly powerful move overall D: this is all by level-up also, it's not going into the Trainers that love giving it Rock TMs haha

Arbitrary

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
Except for the fact that Kalos's Black Belts and Battle Girls are deadlier than almost everything else in the game, including Diantha, most bosses, and even Veterans. Due to carrying coverage out the ass. You WILL fight Poison Jab Fighting types and even Rock Tomb Hawlucha only two gyms in. Then you get to the actual Fighting type gym leader and she's an utter joke.

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This ghost tries to be studious and businesslike, but will squee or keysmash easily. They would love to cuddle every adorable cat in the world.
Except for the fact that Kalos's Black Belts and Battle Girls are deadlier than almost everything else in the game, including Diantha, most bosses, and even Veterans. Due to carrying coverage out the ass. You WILL fight Poison Jab Fighting types and even Rock Tomb Hawlucha only two gyms in. Then you get to the actual Fighting type gym leader and she's an utter joke.
Haven't played XY but I've checked the Fighting Gym Leader's moveset and... she has three moves per Pokemon?! Only three?? And her Hawlucha has no Flying STAB at all? She gives off "my dad works for Nintendo so he gave me this undeserved position" vibes rippppp :crying:

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also a huge fan of Smash Bros. and writing.
Bonus points against Korrina for having absolutely no way to hit Ghosts outside of Machoke's Rock Tomb. If you caught a Golett on Route 10, it's an instant win button. I don't get why she didn't use a Lucario in the gym fight (she could've used one there and still had the Mega Evolution tutorial after).
Sad part is, Korrina's arguably the most interesting Kalos leader (not that there's much competition)...but she just gets shut down by the right Pokémon. Roxie has the same issue if you got a Magnemite.

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Roxie has the same issue if you got a Magnemite.
Looks sadly at the Magnemite I got that I tried to grind that got Sonic Boomed by its own kind

Rumors

Or so they say...
Writer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Pronouns
male
Pokémon Type
Fire
Pokédex Entry
A Pokémon shrouded in hearsay and urban legend, spoken of only in whispered tales and hushed gossip.
Haven't played XY but I've checked the Fighting Gym Leader's moveset and... she has three moves per Pokemon?!
Important trainers only having three moves is a bit of a thing in X/Y. Even in the final rival battle in post game some of their mons only have three moves. I'm not sure if it was a sneaky way to make fights easier or as a band-aid for the A.I. by giving it fewer options to make it more threatening. Well, as threatening as the average trainer in X/Y can be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)