• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Nuzlocke General Frustrating Things in Nuzlockes

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
Doing a mono-Normal in Soul Silver is annoying right now because I've lost two major team players at Cianwood and the Tauros I caught to replace them doesn't even have Intimidate. Nor does my Calm natured Stantler that is basically useless. The Safari Zone also trolled me with a Kangaskhan that ran immediately, but at least I've divided it into areas.

Also I have an "only allowed one of each line" rule, so any death means I can't use any more of that species. I just lost Fearow, which is fucking gash.

Brendan Rizzo

Conqueror of the Vermillion Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 5, 2021
Losing a Pokemon to something that really shouldn't have been a oneshot. Especially against a mook-level trainer, or even worse, a wild Pokemon.

Worse, having a Pokemon die only one level away from evolving!

Even worse, getting both at the same time!

And worst, getting both at the same time more than once in the same run!

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Screenshotter
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Pronouns
He
Pokémon Type
Electric, Dark
Pokédex Entry
Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
Losing all your data because of switching computers or a data wipe and having to either cancel or start the run all over again

Trollkitten

Kitten of Lore
Artist
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
She/her, Aetherai Lorekeeper
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Clever
Pokédex Entry
Autistic writer who starts more things than she finishes. Hyper asexual Twitch Plays Pokemon lorewriter. Rather be a happy shill than an angry critic.
Losing all your data because of switching computers or a data wipe and having to either cancel or start the run all over again
Oh, yes. I lost several lorelockes to this all too recently.

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
Platinum locking you from going past Hearthome until beating Fantina. I'd like to grind more because that Mismagius is scary, but for some reason that's not ok :cybercrime:

PageEmperor

I can’t do money puns. It just won’t make cents.
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
A person who does both comics and runs and whatnot. Okay then.
Not Pokemon related let alone gameplay related, but my interesting comment on the gen8 speculation thread ended up being the last post on the page. My username has thus lost 95% of it’s meaning, and this has been happening a lot as of late. I’m really losing my touch...

CasualGameFreak

Discord Resident Extraordinaire
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 23, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pronouns
they/she
Pokémon Type
Grass
Pokédex Entry
Despite being a Grass-type, Casual is a flaming lesbian. Fire and Grass don't usually mix, but somehow it works out here.
Not my Nuzlocke, but a friend's, in Pokemon Ruby (standard rules, Dupes and Shiny, Set mode). She's been streaming the run to a Discord chat we share.

Taking on Norman, Pelipper has successfully stalled out the first Slaking, and Combusken set up three Bulk Ups to take on Vigoroth safely (Slash crit was quite a scare but she held on with 10 HP). A Double Kick and down goes Vigoroth and in comes the ace Slaking.

So at this point, Combusken's at +3 DEF and we don't entirely trust Pelipper to tank a hit upon coming in, so all we need to do is just heal so she can easily tank a physical hit on that +3 and then switch to Pelipper on the free turn, right?

Critical. Fucking. Focus Punch.

At least Pelipper held up and took it down...

THKS

The Trainer behind Franklin.
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 15, 2020
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Ground, Normal
Pokédex Entry
"No matter what I do, I do it just for you."
No matter how hard you prepare, something insane will be guaranteed to try and destroy your run. I've experienced this plenty of times, and the most recent one that I'm willing to share is the Pinwheel Forest in the Volt White Squadlocke.

The shocking thing about that part is that Team Plasma wasn't the source of my frustrations, but a Pokemon Ranger and a Schoolboy of all trainers. A Pokemon Ranger ended up taking out Chloe the Beedrill with a Wing Attack. This one was admittedly my fault, because I thought Chloe would've been able to bring down the Scyther, but it was not to be. From that point on, it felt like there was going to be a domino effect for my party.

The Schoolboy would only exacerbate situations with his Noctowl. Keep in mind, this is a Drayano hack, and Noctowl is one of the few Pokemon that had a change of typing, being Psychic/Flying. And he nearly wiped my Arceus damn party out with that bird. He took away Crimson the Staryu, he took away Eva Marie the Pidgeotto, and he even took away poor Selma the Petilil.

Roger the Servine would bring him down, but the suffering wasn't over, because the Schoolboy sent out a Charmeleon. Fortunately, luck was on my side, because the second Zen Headbutt flinched the Charmeleon, allowing me to bring down that lizard. After taking down the Sandshrew, Roger barely escaped with his life on just 3 HP. That stint was so disastrous, I had to reinstated both Musume the Panpour and Fredo the Vigoroth when that was all over.

Even after getting the fourth Gym badge, the pain from that forest still haunts me. It made me realise that I had to heighten my senses from this point on in that Squadlocke.

"The horror... the horror..."

Perpetually Underleveled

Conqueror of the Celadon Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 6, 2020
I like putting level limits in my Nuzlockes, and before the Elite 4 and champion I like having the level limit below the champion, in Gen 5 at like a level below the E4's aces. But I also like fighting every trainer, and these two things can contradict each other at certain parts of certain games' level curve. So in my B2 nuzlocke, Wikipedia the Chandelure ended up getting overleveled due to being used a lot against Ghetsis, Zinzolin, etc. (though my brother persuades me out of trying to fight all the Plasma grunts and making things even worse), and it only got worse in Victory Road, which had tons of trainers, a lot of which only Wikipedia could handle, to the point where he was lv. 59 by the time I got to the final Hugh fight. But the problem is that during that Hugh fight, he switched into a crit Flamethrower from the Similar and then took a crunch, which put him at 8 HP, and I felt unable to cheer for his survival because I couldn't help thinking that he should have died if things were fair and he wasn't over leveled. On top of that, he outsped a trainer's Darmanitan that would have killed him, despite having a -speed nature (and a 30 speed IV, but still...), which I thought had to have been because of the overleveling to. Even some of my other Pokemon got a bit higher leveled than I would have wanted, like agains the champion my Lv. 58 Galvantula Lyme was able to survive Iris' Archeops' acrobatics at 8 HP also (I had a Pokemon that could handle Archeops much better, but it died against Shauntal...), and I was elated that I managed to get through that without a death but then I couldn't even feel happy for his survival because I was just thinking "what if he was lv. 57 like he should have been" (I barely used him in the E4 so he would never have gotten to 58 if he had just been early in 57, that only happened because he was almost 58 going into the League). I didn't mean to overlevel any of my Pokemon, I only used Wikipedia when I had to, and I actually lost a Pokemon on Victory Road and had about 20 cases where a crit would have killed another, so it's not like all of those extra trainers were just free exp, but I still feel like all of my victories and survivals are frauds.

Ionbird

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jan 11, 2020
In my Johto Dexlocke having a shortage of money is a big problem. I can barely afford Great Balls as it is. I could have Kurt make me some Apricorn designs but the process is incredibly slow. I dread having to tackle mons with low catch rates like Heracross, Skarmory, and Aipom and there's a lot of them in Gen 2.

My Route 37 encounter was a Stantler which escaped the vast majority of my Great and Fast Balls and knocked itself out in confusion.

Corviknight best birb

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 7, 2021
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
she - her
Pokémon Type
Flying, Steel
Pokédex Entry
Lives by the words "I'll do it tomorrow"
Losing your pokemon to a crit. Need I say more?

Arbitrary

Conqueror of the Violet Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 2, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
He/him
Pokémon Type
Fighting
I just did the dumbest thing. Against all odds, I caught a Scyther in the Safari Zone. Bear in mind I'm playing Fire Red at insane emulator speed. I got her poisoned while grinding, and forgot to heal, so she ended up fainting as I made my way back to the Pokemon Centre. All because I was too lazy to put the sound back on so I could use Fly at normal speed.

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This ghost tries to be studious and businesslike, but will squee or keysmash easily. They would love to cuddle every adorable cat in the world.
I haven't played the Kanto arc in HG/SS in ages so I wanted to try it out for Sacred Gold. And... Kanto in these games seems to be small and a bit underwhelming so far, and full of opponents who are either very easy or very lethal. My amazing Rotom who survived so much got taken out by Misty and then her replacement, a Mamoswine, got taken out because there are random Dugtrios who pop up in Diglett's Cave and the first one I ran into used Fissure 😭

PageEmperor

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Unless I figure out how to hack in more heart scales, my blaze black nuzlocke is going to take several weeks to progress.

Moon

Pokédex No.
Caught
Mar 9, 2021
Nature
Relaxed
Pronouns
They, Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Ice
Pokédex Entry
Because they're the two rarest types, they're the rarest pokemon. Yes, that's logical. No, there aren't other Ghost/Ice types. Froslass doesn't exist.
I had this run of Black that I abandoned; before i played it I had finished Shield and before that Let's go Eevee, half my team including my starter died because I hadn't gotten used to a lack of the Exp. Share

PageEmperor

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
I have little to no counters for the Ice gym for my Shield Expansion pass Wedlocke. For my ‘best’ pair I’m counting on, I feel would not be the best option because I’m worried about Rock slide missing, or the opponent getting tons of crits through my screens. I’m glad I chose to do this run on Shield for the most part, this is not one of those parts.

I also have a feeling someone’s gonna die at the final gym no matter what happens.

Last edited:

sky_

life is a trip alright
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Ghost, Normal
Pokédex Entry
This ghost tries to be studious and businesslike, but will squee or keysmash easily. They would love to cuddle every adorable cat in the world.
I haven't played the Kanto arc in HG/SS in ages so I wanted to try it out for Sacred Gold. And... Kanto in these games seems to be small and a bit underwhelming so far, and full of opponents who are either very easy or very lethal. My amazing Rotom who survived so much got taken out by Misty and then her replacement, a Mamoswine, got taken out because there are random Dugtrios who pop up in Diglett's Cave and the first one I ran into used Fissure 😭
More Kanto shenanigans from there have been ensuing with:
- an Arbok that Drayano gifted Mud Shot taking out my Magneton (the Mamoswine replacement)
- the Magnezone (Magneton replacement) narrowly getting past a Destiny Bond Mismagius only to be taken out by Sabrina's trapping, Mirror Coat Wobuffet

Sacred Gold Kanto is full of cheap or unexpected deaths, because I didn't dislike it enough already ;p

RevenantArcan

Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 19, 2019
Nature
Lax
Pronouns
He/Him
Pokémon Type
Psychic
On a more narrative front:

I'm playing Sword with a story in mind, and I picked up a Gastrodon at one point. Now, I like using Gastrodon, it's a fine Pokemon, but it's been on my final team in two previous runs, and I don't want to take it all the way here. So while I'd normally just drop it, the story factor means I have to justify why the hero would stop using their Gastrodon.

Captain Demozan

Perseverant quitter
Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Feb 20, 2021
Nature
Bashful
Pronouns
He/They/Zan
Pokémon Type
Fairy, Normal
Pokédex Entry
A Zangoose-Slurpuff hybrid with an intense love for Puyo Puyo. He has a heavy dislike for himself, and is quick to deny compliments.
Whoops! Forgot this Pokémon had Bide, and my next attack won't kill it. Let's see who we shall sacrifice next. Spin the wheel!

PageEmperor

Team Omega
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 8, 2019
Pokémon Type
Electric, Water
Pokédex Entry
Serebii‘s XY item page states that I can get a Dusk stone in a recent town, and I just got a Murkrow, so alright, more options!

And then it turns out they didn’t say that it was only postgame that I could get it. Well, it looks like my Delphox is most likely, and by that, I mean definitely going to learn Shadow ball via relearner.

I need a Toxapex in my Shield expansion pass wedlocke, and of course it’s a 5% encounter in this very version, but isn’t in Sword.

Also, this probably won’t affect the run, but really, Dhelmise as a 1% encounter on the areas you can find it in gen8!? Yeah, it was funny the first time they made it rare in gen7, but now it’s starting to get ridiculous. If Dhelmise is actually that good, then it’s about time you guys gave it a pre evo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)