• The Writer's Locke has released it's final episode! Come celebrate a fantastic project with it's last hoo-rah.
  • The Hidden Gems Showcase (2022) is now closed. Thank you all who turned out this year! You can find all the cool content that got featured here. I hope you find a new gem to read!
  • Check out the Nuzlocke Forums Fundraiser 2022 to see how you can help support the forums, earn new badges, and more! Goal: $1201/$1500
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Let's Play Fossil Fighters Champions But it's a Nuzlocke

Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
(Benji isn't in this one)

TheTRUEgge

three of them?? this has gotten out of hand!
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
izBrdgJ.png

Been a while, eh? That’s mostly my fault–I took a break from the run and then had a wrist issue that forced me to step back from creative stuff. But now I’m BACK and ready to get this party started! Fossil Fighters was one of my favorite childhood games, but Fossil Fighters Champions is one of my favorite games period. It has a lot of charm and it’s always a delight to revisit! With that in mind, let’s jump right in.

1. You may only use the first Vivosaur you revive in any area. Other fossils may be dug up and cleaned, but only used if they belong to a legit encounter.
    1. Areas are defined as locations with a unique selection of fossils. These are not properly defined in the same way as they are in Pokemon games, so I will be using the Fossil Fighters wiki and my own discretion to determine what is and is not an area.
      1. If a location has multiple unnamed sublocations, up to two locations may be selected for encounters.
      2. Pay-to-Dig sites are considered separate locations.
    2. Scripted fossils do not count as encounters and may be skipped.
    3. Vivosaurs that were present on the final main game team of my Fossil Fighters run may not be used. Those Vivosaurs are listed below.
      1. Spinax, Ourano, Elasmo, Nodo, S-Raptor
  2. Nickname all Vivosaurs.
  3. If a Vivosaur is defeated in battle, it is considered dead and may no longer be used.

Q5pL9a6.png

Fossil Fighters Champions has a lot of improvements over its predecessor. Last time, I tried to stay away from comparisons between the two, because I felt it wasn’t fair to my audience, who may not have played either game. But now that I’ve covered Fossil Fighters, I will be mentioning it from time to time. So hey, if you decide you like my style, you ought to give my first run a read!

But for now, let’s start off the run with the first major change. No it’s not multiplayer. FF had that too.

pkSEm9a.png

It’s THIS. Yes, you can actually play as a girl this time! We will be doing that, both because it’s new and because the game devs didn’t really make any dialogue changes between the boy and girl characters–this will lead to a very gay moment later.

A9ocRM6.png

We’re prompted to select an icon and a name. Charlie is the name I gave to my main FFC file back when I was a kid, so that’s what we’re going with! Benji is busy being a master fighter or something, he doesn’t need to go on another adventure.

nndGLn2.png

2OjbULS.png

Ahh, DS graphics. There’s a certain charm to them, and FFC genuinely looks really good for the system. In some ways, it’s a shame that this is a screenshot run–the animations in this game, and especially in the battles, is stellar.

jVSV7ks.png

dIfAWXm.png

I’m never going to STOP, Todd, it’s PRETTY.

Anyways, this is Todd. He’s no Holt, but he’s alright.

6Yzzlhv.png

SkaDqme.png

vCwDh8k.png

World expansion! Apparently Vivosaurs just roam freely in some parts of the world. Somebody should probably get on that, it sounds unsafe. Some kids could run around looking for adventure and get mauled!

But Charlie’s the protagonist, so I’m sure she’ll be fine. Onwards we go!

yx7JZPU.png

iYIyDYV.png

PDA9ZDE.png

Aw, Todd, we’re all alone, you don’t have to be vague. Just admit that Jerry from school was being a jerk and Charlie will help you plan revenge on the walk home.

Suddenly, a snarl is heard!

hOhWcEc.png

OsNVKa4.png

mp4gQFQ.png

Something’s in the underbrush. Charlie steps forward to investigate, Todd inches backwards, and the screen transitions into our second big change from FF…

PNglYrw.png

7x9520S.png

3FIHxl8.png

A cutscene! A full-on cutscene! There are a fair number of these scattered throughout the game, they’re all pretty great. They’re going to have the unfortunate side effect of greatly increasing the number of screenshots per part, though. Ah, well. A small price to pay.

qKCsQcc.png

oDV5e1Q.png

UQflZve.png

What did you expect, Todd? I’m pretty sure all the Vivosaurs in this universe are capable of battling, of course they’re dangerous. I suppose he figured that he and Charlie would just find random Dino Medals rather than Vivosaurs themselves.

tFfe0Yw.png

Ah. That’s not good.

Fqr9Km4.png

pgHxjSp.png

hxMdzpY.png

Allo approaches… Charlie is protecting Todd, it’s very sweet. She’s got no fear.

OTFIFAv.png

6kv2ZUn.png

Whuh oh, now you’re gonna get eaten from TWO directions! Except… what’s that on its back..?

nbrTJvA.png

BlVP2ib.png

OH OKAY IT’S A COWBOY. COOL.

EYGz6R8.png

Z0KeDh6.png

Yf5wAff.png

Yeah sorry Todd, Charlie isn’t going to let you overthink this one.

0SHumZ8.png

nrk8TEg.png

As I said, cowboy.

(Incidentally, who was FF’s cowboy? Frontier, the third game in the series, has a cowboy as well, so it feels incomplete for FF to not have one…)

101A37A.png

mxZjwhY.png

f7HDas9.png

This cutscene is very cool, it really made child me realize that this game was on a whole other level than its predecessor. But now it’s time to land.

4ddUDXn.png

And we’re back on solid ground again. Uh, Todd, what’s up?

nFdKVtz.png

4u8fHDE.png

KOuCcx2.png

hJSePgH.png

gXLlZhF.png

Oh, cool, our savior is famous! It’s a good thing that he came around when he did…

vRXa6dc.png

A8mzAph.png

peoWdIL.png

In case you didn’t realize, Joe is a cowboy.

g4bGwfP.png

qtXxV84.png

Aw, Todd gets to fight but not Charlie? I mean he’s definitely more enthusiastic about this whole deal but I wanna fight toooooooo.

But suddenly..!

zx4NRUe.png

XWzExCY.png

jhsLvUH.png

Todd has… stomach cramps..? Okay, I guess this works out in our favor.

uaTs5V0.png

Meanwhile hahaha Joe has seen RIGHT through Todd. It’s nice that he’s just letting it go, though.

xcBFMMB.png

Okay, time for starter choice! There’s one Vivosaur of each type besides Neutral, because Neutral is boring. My starter was picked by the commenters on my FF Nuzlocke thread, and winning out by a mere half a vote, we’re going with…

FUwwwCf.png

6xVqvpl.png

Tsintao! I’m very excited to use this fellow, I don’t recall ever using it! Second place, incidentally, was Dimetrodon, my most-used (and most beloved) starter from this game. Thank y’all for not choosing Toba. God bless.

ykNquJu.png

Yes Joe we understand your personality is cowboy

Pd2LbHM.png

rRvSwq8.png

Allo is a threat to a pair of unarmed humans, but it seems that Joe expects us to do just fine against it with a friend of our own! Let’s do this.

6Y18EXN.png

7wsmqv3.png

wgQsNWz.png

GJqnt0d.png

oYnRMW6.png

Another, shorter, cutscene as we gear up to fight! It’s noteworthy because it’s actually the first time we see a Dino Medal in use during the series–we’ve never seen one turn into a Vivosaur before!

Fun fact: Long, long ago, before I had even started Sunlocke, I did a Nuzlocke of FFC. I envisioned it as a comic, and in the comic that was never to be, when Vivosaurs died, their medals cracked and could no longer be used. It would have been a very neat visual signifier. Alas, a comic this is Not. We’re all going to have to pretend that happens together.

laWuNuv.png

Battle time! This is where that icon from before becomes relevant. It’s also the source of a lot of major changes! Some noteworthy, others distinctly less noteworthy.

HxhLNLd.png

Yes yes, this is how it was in Fossil Fighters. To summarize, left is me, right is foe. The gauge in the bottom left is my FP meter. FP is needed to use attacks and is recharged at the beginning of each turn. Notably, the Mobility stat from FF, which… uh… might have raised Evasion? Or something? Has been changed to speed. The Vivosaur team with the higher total speed gets to move first. This means that we’ll probably be attacking first more often than not, which will be a nice change of pace!

DgFCBh5.png

yx9W0Fi.png

Another big change: The in-battle icons aren’t darkened!!! You can see them!!! Read the attacks!!!!! That weird emulator bug plagued me throughout the entire FF run and I am so so happy to see it gone.

EKmlYO5.png

lKf6Rr6.png

b5vOdRT.png

Here we learn that Tsintao is a heavy hitter, which will be nice to have! You may have noticed that they don’t have a nickname quite yet. That’s for a reason we’ll get to in the next part. It’s very exciting!

ESbpoM6.png

Incredible… I can convey the attack Allo is using AND the move animation in the same screenshot… what a luxury…

mthipFj.png

Tsintao has some lovely animations, especially when it’s been hurt. Alas, they’re tough to screenshot (Especially on the version of Desmume I have to use for this run–there’s no keybind to a quick screenshot key for… some reason)

le2E1XT.png

Here we learn that Tsintao is… not very bulky. Oh well, we THKO the Allo anyways, this will be fine.

YoOawBY.png

98JcftC.png

Instead of ending the fight, Allo drops to 1LP and Joe lets us know that the fight is basically over. I assume that this happens because not all the starters CAN THKO Allo–Dimentro can’t, anyways.

kapTUYL.png

bun6mOC.png

Heck yeah Charlie is awesome!

0DKyzI2.png

rxGfenP.png

Haha Todd you are not fooling anyone.

p0ARct2.png

mC6NHWL.png

Aw, poor Allo. Letting a Vivosaur loose in the wild sounds… horribly irresponsible, though. I assume they threw the medal away without realizing that Allo could escape from it?

kAbhWpQ.png

Oh, that makes sense! A skilled fighter is definitely nice to have for a situation like this.

Fp9XcH7.png

VszUFpa.png

lqzCBJH.png

A lot of players seem to dislike Todd (we’ll get into why, I’m sure) but he’s just so wholesome, he makes me smile :)

YPm5A9I.png

He also makes Joe smile!

Kyk7NHb.png

Joe is such a good mentor, what a cool dude.

bafFF6q.png

KMKG3Ef.png

vGdO3Dk.png

RJgV3wO.png

Woah, you’re giving Charlie free stuff? Nice! I’m sure she won’t cause any chaos with this at all!

qMUpM75.png

HNX3xPi.png

Yes yes it’s very unfortunate, you’ll get a Vivosaur friend someday I’m sure.

(Todd should’ve gotten the Allo CHANGE MY MIND)

qXHeY0e.png

ZLDFVlr.png

NhzeUZ8.png

And off Joe goes. Bye Joe! See you in about a million parts, probably!

z6e9A91.png

IqtGeEh.png

RpM4OKs.png

That’s the spirit, Todd! Let’s go for it!

v5TCNRV.png

And with that introduction scene out of the way, we’ll be ending the part! See you next time when we enter Tutorial Hell proper.

GThOWCm.png
Unnamed: Tsintao, Earth

KitkatKK2

Derp
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 18, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/She
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon can often be found alone in her room writing or reading. This is because she is an introvert who doesn’t feel like going outside today.
name it goosey
like ducky
but it's a goose

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Me when I see this run has dropped:

So glad to see Benji getting a chance to rest. And for us to get a gay moment later. 👀

dIfAWXm.png

I’m never going to STOP, Todd, it’s PRETTY.

Anyways, this is Todd. He’s no Holt, but he’s alright.
Todd looks like the human form of the 🥺 emoji. He's so smol!

Wild Vivosaurs? 👀 So we're on another rich man's private island?

UQflZve.png

What did you expect, Todd? I’m pretty sure all the Vivosaurs in this universe are capable of battling, of course they’re dangerous. I suppose he figured that he and Charlie would just find random Dino Medals rather than Vivosaurs themselves.
I'm not gonna give Todd the benefit of the doubt here. 😤 Would you use the word "wild" to describe Dino Medals? "Loose," maybe. "Free" definitely. But "wild"? No. Todd is a dumb 🥺 emoji.

Protecc the smol!

We're smols to this guy, though.

(Incidentally, who was FF’s cowboy? Frontier, the third game in the series, has a cowboy as well, so it feels incomplete for FF to not have one…)
That's a good question. 🤔 Maybe Saurhead is a cowboy under the mask?

uaTs5V0.png

Meanwhile hahaha Joe has seen RIGHT through Todd. It’s nice that he’s just letting it go, though.
Calling people out on their anxiety never helps. 😤

Do not ask a child to grease your pants, Joe. ._.

Fun fact: Long, long ago, before I had even started Sunlocke, I did a Nuzlocke of FFC. I envisioned it as a comic, and in the comic that was never to be, when Vivosaurs died, their medals cracked and could no longer be used. It would have been a very neat visual signifier. Alas, a comic this is Not. We’re all going to have to pretend that happens together.
👀 Headcanon accepted.

ESbpoM6.png

Incredible… I can convey the attack Allo is using AND the move animation in the same screenshot… what a luxury…
Your computer: 🙏

How do you know that? Was its tragic backstory written on its face? See, released Pokemon can theoretically re-join the ecosystem, but last game we learned that Vivosaurs are revived dinosaurs, not a type of dinosaur that never went extinct. although reintroducing dinosaurs to the wild even if its not allowed will certainly cause some other species to go extinct
As for my name recommendation...
E6bXgTSWQAInf_J.jpg

Mattman324

bread
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
YUUSHA
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
KITA KITA KITA
this will lead to a very gay moment later.
based
Thank y’all for not choosing Toba.
don't threaten me with a good time.
(Especially on the version of Desmume I have to use for this run–there’s no keybind to a quick screenshot key for… some reason)
desmume's devs are shitheads, that's why. we live in an era where desmume is officially super outdated, which is definitely something I didn't think would ever happen when it passed no$ ages ago.
they have the right of it so i vote for their starter name too, even though i think i voted for something else before.

Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A very small trash boy last seen clawing themself out of the gender dumpster.
then had a wrist issue that forced me to step back from creative stuff.

That sucks D: I'm glad you're feeling better though!

It’s THIS. Yes, you can actually play as a girl this time! We will be doing that, both because it’s new and because the game devs didn’t really make any dialogue changes between the boy and girl characters–this will lead to a very gay moment later.

:3: And I'm sure it will be adorable wholesome gay that we will all love!

*Indiana Jones theme plays*

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE my favourite won, she's so cute! Please call her either Ducky Jr. or Duckette depending on your mood.

:love: So wholesome, what a lovely sweet mentor he is!

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
GOOSE. NAME IT GOOSE. TSINTAO THE GOOSE

also welcome back! im really excited to see where your new dino run is going C:

TricMagic

Conqueror of the Fuchsia Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 20, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon only rarely leaves it's cave to hunt down birbs. Oftentimes, it can only be spotted by it's strange aura in the sky.
izBrdgJ.png

Time for The Groose to be let Loose. Cause that is a bird for some reason.

OP
TheTRUEgge

TheTRUEgge

Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
Thank you all so much for the warm reception to this run, I’m super tickled! Not quite sure what the update schedule for this run will be like, but I’m aiming for once a week, give or take.

Also, quick disclaimer: I wrote this part before I released part 1, which will become clear in a moment. Part 3 is also already finished, so nicknames will take a second to sync up with crowd decisions.

name it goosey
like ducky
but it's a goose

See, I WANTED to, BUT...

So glad to see Benji getting a chance to rest. And for us to get a gay moment later. 👀

Todd looks like the human form of the 🥺 emoji. He's so smol!

Wild Vivosaurs? 👀 So we're on another rich man's private island?

I'm not gonna give Todd the benefit of the doubt here. 😤 Would you use the word "wild" to describe Dino Medals? "Loose," maybe. "Free" definitely. But "wild"? No. Todd is a dumb 🥺 emoji.

Protecc the smol!

We're smols to this guy, though.

That's a good question. 🤔 Maybe Saurhead is a cowboy under the mask?

Calling people out on their anxiety never helps. 😤

Do not ask a child to grease your pants, Joe. ._.

👀 Headcanon accepted.

Your computer: 🙏

How do you know that? Was its tragic backstory written on its face? See, released Pokemon can theoretically re-join the ecosystem, but last game we learned that Vivosaurs are revived dinosaurs, not a type of dinosaur that never went extinct. although reintroducing dinosaurs to the wild even if its not allowed will certainly cause some other species to go extinct

As for my name recommendation...
E6bXgTSWQAInf_J.jpg

Benji needs to take a minute to step back so the gay can appear. Very noble of him.

He IS. In this house we love and appreciate Todd.

Could be! There's really no indicators as to WHERE we are, though I don't think it's Vivosaur Island because of some later plot developments.

He didn't think this through. Hannah didn't either because her fatal flaw is assuming Todd knows what he's doing.

Yeah, 'cause he's a whole adult!!

He must be. It's the only explanation.

And Joe knows it! Good for him!!

He's a cowboy what did you expect.

There's so much DRAMA potential!

In theory there was, like, a case file that Joe glanced at. Or maybe this happens often?

Oh my god. I hate that you're right.

based

don't threaten me with a good time.

desmume's devs are shitheads, that's why. we live in an era where desmume is officially super outdated, which is definitely something I didn't think would ever happen when it passed no$ ages ago.

they have the right of it so i vote for their starter name too, even though i think i voted for something else before.

We have our priorities here.

I dare you to do it. Long-Range only challenge when

Luckily I've found a solution! FF's subreddit is a lifesaver, as always.

Oh no not you too

1000% Yes

OH NO NOT YOU TOO

That sucks D: I'm glad you're feeling better though!

:3: And I'm sure it will be adorable wholesome gay that we will all love!

*Indiana Jones theme plays*

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE my favourite won, she's so cute! Please call her either Ducky Jr. or Duckette depending on your mood.

:love: So wholesome, what a lovely sweet mentor he is!

Me too! nice to be able to do things again.

It will be! Can't wait to get there.

Nah he's a cowboy it would be. uh. a cowboy's theme.

Alas, they are clearly a Goose and so that's what I'll have to go with.

He's a good guy!!

GOOSE. NAME IT GOOSE. TSINTAO THE GOOSE

also welcome back! im really excited to see where your new dino run is going C:

I WISH I COULD BUT I'VE BEEN OUTVOTED

Thanks!! It's going to be a lot of fun!

izBrdgJ.png

Time for The Groose to be let Loose. Cause that is a bird for some reason.

Oh god oh fu

Last time, Charlie and Todd committed to becoming Fossil Fighters! Let’s see how that’s working out for them.

ggfaSPJ.png

TosKuBv.png

z22AkYX.png

They made it! They’re well on their way to doing some Fossil Fighting of their own, sounds like!

Also, while this time skip makes perfect sense, I would KILL to see what having a Tsintao in a domestic setting was like. I bet Hannah and Todd went on so many adventures with them.

QAFHAgz.png

nBWphuY.png

Yesssss get that lens flare in shot…

MJGuAKE.png

IKd6sh2.png

8R8lcGs.png

For some reason I had three copies of that last screenshot. I guess I really wanted to emphasize the point this attendant raised.

11lBWpk.png

aUHB6bu.png

4BlPSjK.png

Okay so how many of the island names will be revealed to be puns?

(I’m like 90% sure the answer is zero, this localization team didn’t add nearly as many puns into this as they did into FF. good)

s5usHHO.png

ajNVaSe.png

mJLDiDH.png

Dang, sounds like we arrived just in time!

l5XRwLt.png

lipPig0.png

The Fighter Station combines the Fossil Stadium and the Fighter Center from the previous game, which is convenient!

eVYgo1O.png

Well we definitely aren’t here as reporters! And even still I’m pretty sure they have Vivosaurs too…

8WcyI7b.png

BPWDsvC.png

This line goes along with something Todd said earlier that I missed the screenshot for–to get into this tournament, it seems like there was some other battling the fighters had to get through. You’d THINK this would mean that the game doesn’t give you as many tutorials, but…

GgRORAB.png

rhoLQ8v.png

hAXS70L.png

Stella’s here to show us around! She’s kinda boring. Doesn’t even have a pun name. But HMM where could we possibly be going????

ySyVrkh.png

j9wWupl.png

Oooh, the revival machine looks fancier! The cleaning interface appears to be… exactly the same. Good, don’t try and fix what isn’t broken! (cough cough frontier)

t7fRW6t.png

y1MqbY7.png

Q0gInK4.png

What if I… didn’t.

Also, for anybody who wants to play along at home, cleaning does not cooperate with the most recent versions of Desmume. I’m using version 0.9.6 for this playthrough.

(Edit from the future! It also works on 9.11 if you go to Emulation Settings (under config) and set the dynamic recompiler to 1. I’m using that now because there’s an actual quick screenshot key in this version)

J2NZ91S.png

Don’t let it cross the yellow line and you’re golden. That’s it that’s cleaning.

99T2g5d.png

Also you can still hit the X-Ray button before the timer starts, very nice very nice.

Z8oMs0v.png

4zoQ2cR.png

Haha, I’ve still got it!

rKjTlRz.png

mmR0Er1.png

Todd went, and now it’s time to see what our new Vivosaur is! If you read my previous run, where I did a little explanation of the starters for this game, you may already know that our first catch is a water type. And with that skull shape, it could only be..!

tiQ5twb.png

Dde56YX.png

MUz9ihu.png

1yve1RS.png

Tricera! That’s right, this is the other reason why picking Toba is not in your best interests. Tricera is very reliable, and its support effects will get better as it ranks up. That’s another new thing in FFC! Instead of support effects starting out at their maximum effectiveness, they increase as your rank does. This makes Vivosaurs with excellent support effects, like Compso, slightly more balanced. Compso won’t be reducing your opponent’s attack and defense by 90% until it hits the max rank.

Now, that said, you’re still not beating a team with a Compso on it.

itJcutA.png

jqoQl1O.png

Ha ha ha I will never speak to her.

GtDg8ct.png

5idLTq8.png

mDqFknD.png

Okay, Fossil Fighting actually has some new stuff that’s relevant now that we have two Vivosaurs, so I guess I’ll listen to… Devon. Devon Strait……….. demonstrate………………..

3tB1UvW.png

We saw this screen back in Fossil Fighters, but there are a few key differences! You’ll notice that there are orange and blue sections of the battle area. Orange is the Attack Zone, AZ, and blue is the Support Zone, SZ. That’s right–in this particular formation, there are two Vivosaurs in the AZ! When that’s the case, the SZ Vivosaur’s support effects are split across the two Vivosaurs (Same thing happens if the opponent has two SZ Vivosaurs and your support effects target the enemy). This formation is the Jurassic Formation…

pngORL2.png

This is the Cambrian Formation, which looks much more familiar. Generally speaking, Cambrian is a bit better, but that’s largely because more opponents use it–it’s usually better to mirror your enemy’s formation. Granted, you can switch between formations whenever you want, and rotation is cheap, so starting formation isn’t too important.

lWikRPu.png

hLjnwJx.png

KIXndPA.png

MrV6qtK.png

That’s why the arena has so many hexagons! You’ll also notice that there’s no escape zone anymore. The Vivosaurs of Castelio Park are not cowards.

Devon says a lot of stuff I already mentioned, so we’ll just gloss over it, and…

eSr70vq.png

Here we are, range. In Fossil Fighters, Long Range existed, but it was the only one that really mattered in battles. There are three ranges in FFC! Close Range does best when the attacker and the defendant are both in their respective AZs, specifically in Cambrian Formation (Where they’re as close as possible). Long Range does best when the attacker is where my Plesio is right now, and the defendant is also in that position. Mid Range is much more versatile–the ways in which it can get an attack bonus are way more numerous.

There are also attack debuffs Vivosaurs get for attacking an enemy that isn’t in their range. Don’t do that. That debuff, incidentally, is why Long Range Vivosaurs aren’t that great. In a hypothetical one-on-one situation, it’s possible for a Long Range Vivosaur to be completely unable to get range bonuses. I should know. I have abused that aspect of the game before.

gM9HfOf.png

A star indicates the ideal range and a red X indicates a poor range. You’ll notice that Tricera, a Mid-Range Vivosaur, can effectively hit all 3 of its enemies from this position. This is why Mid-Range Vivosaurs are the best ones.

jB6lJ6a.png

Since there’s no EZ in this game, our Vivosaurs are able to experience (almost) free rotation! Movement of one tile costs 5 FP, and because it’s a circle, the most FP you can spend in a rotation is 15. The game will refund you if you rotate to one position and then return to your former position without attacking, which is nice. Once you commit to an attack, you won’t be getting that FP back. You can rotate whenever you’d like in a turn, including after all of your Vivosaurs have attacked, which could come in handy later.

Fke9tM6.png

Nz758b5.png

Dilopho is Close Range, so I rotate the team to reflect that. You’ll notice that there isn’t an indicator symbol next to Devon’s SZ Vivosaurs–they’re currently in a range where Dilopho won’t get any bonuses or debuffs applied to its attacks.

cQyHvN3.png

55m0n6O.png

We don’t even get to finish the fight, we’re just returned to the lobby.

1UCb9RK.png

YxrLqwe.png

We don’t get smartphones so this is officially a period piece I guess.

5vHxqU0.png

I have no idea why this bit of worldbuilding was included, but it makes me chuckle. Of course it’s fossil-themed.

hIZQUAW.png

poHaSqs.png

The opening ceremony? Let’s go check it out!

Outside, there’s another cutscene.

JdgNAIX.png

f5UZX9O.png

This dialogue is auto-scrolling so it’s hard to capture. Joe is welcoming us all to the Caliosteo Cup.

0SVpDx9.png

mYIxA0V.png

CthJBB9.png

T0OknlJ.png

opAiiqB.png

CzBhnKs.png

Woahhh, seriously??? That’s an insane prize! Charlie is going to own an entire archipelago!

Granted, she’ll have to win first, but I have full faith in her.

ug028Jt.png

It was pretty cool, that flying screen just hovered over the square!

q0fLqDd.png

vXcFJoW.png

Don’t worry, Todd, Charlie is way ahead of you.

Tx1fMMq.png

UZVkeEM.png

9Wldna9.png

NHArEBm.png

Haha rip. Don’t worry, Todd, I’m sure there are plenty of fossils to go around.

1dtATwT.png

Todd rushes off, but…

h9UOK7d.png

pkuecf6.png

87lCGRu.png

Huh, that is odd… but Stella is right, we need to get digging! There are new friends to be made!

2on8dJ1.png

6LzNjTC.png

ZhiCkKB.png

Todd I know you’re excited but c’mon man!

nhHVcoG.png

oXDWCpN.png

He’s running around aimlessly.

hmfnJdc.png

1RJMuzl.png

roresxT.png

5QG4wyW.png

s0HDpBb.png

Thanks for being understanding, staff member. Todd, thanks for… whatever “Yeargh” means.

QUWgOPl.png

qf4IRlk.png

Sonar explanation is way easier to screenshot in this game, which is nice! A lot of these tutorials have been easier to convey, it’s almost a shame that I’ve been breezing over them. Almost.

56sEat1.png

This fossil is a scripted encounter, and since Treasure Lake has like six encounter areas with better stuff, I’ll be ignoring this rock. Still have to dig it up to please Sally, though.

680Xeuq.png

44VOzB6.png

Yes yes, can I go get my catches now?

eADpp2v.png

ER4FZOM.png

Have fun, Todd! Save some for me!

y5F8tvO.png

Goodbye.

5Idaam8.png

I grabbed my first encounter along the west lakeshore…

rAsUilQ.png

FV9OKhC.png

… and my second along the east one. The Dig Site maps are a godsend in this game so I’ll be trying to show them off where I can!

pcfenBu.png

It begins.

KabDLr0.png

Oh by the way there’s a giant skull in the middle of the lake. Awesome stuff. Let’s go inside.

MiEwXkW.png

Bonehead Hollow HAS Vivosaurs in it but they’re very rare. We may be back here later, if I remember.

iS9dmEO.png

Back at the station, we meet a familiar face! It’s KL-33N my beloved! He’ll help us excavate fossils.

h0vRsDN.png

Dd9JwWw.png

Right, getting DP is actually much more convenient in FFC than it was in FF, so I might actually be using some of the rewards you can get from it. It can also be used to buy battle points, so it’s a convenient way to grind if you’re lazy.

eCAt2Ef.png

S2NXm3x.png

Also, we finally have access to a VMM! I can do the thing I’ve been wanting to do this entire time!!

1IDoPpD.png

THAT’S RIGHT YOU CAN ACTUALLY NAME VIVOSAURS IN THIS GAME. Also Tsintao is Rank 2 rather than Rank 1, how nice!

And yes, I will be renaming them Groose once the gameplay catches up to where I was when I posted part 1. I can’t deny that the resemblance is uncanny.

mtfYPIN.png

Tkr1hHt.png

For now, though, their name is Goose! Tricera will be Stripey–he’s named after a Bullsnake from a certain youtube channel haha.

ypR26ir.png

WzX0W0L.png

Okay, clean time. And… hm. I’m happy with this encounter, but also I’ve realized that I didn’t really think it through.

VDDgQ9o.png

l708Mcx.png

VibycPk.png

OBBEvLm.png

Raja is a close-range Earth Type Vivosaur, and is very reliable. It’s also another unfamiliar face–FFC has all of FF’s Vivosaurs and an additional eighty or so? In hindsight, I should’ve gone for something in the lake instead, but I guess it’s fine to have some Earth redundancy. I think a lot of early fighters use Air Types, anyway.

s4tcuX9.png

D572sWm.png

ONvAdfv.png

lxOPOca.png

Our other encounter is Goyle! I’m kinda surprised we never ended up with one in FF, but I’m happy we have one here. It’s pretty solid, so I’m excited to give it a go!

7JW7bcl.png

sDlAVpM.png

6s47qLM.png

Got some Jewel rocks and added my new teammates to the team! I’ll be naming them next time, so I’m open to suggestions! See you then!

GThOWCm.png
Groose: Tsintao, Earth
cRY5ePJ.png
Stripey: Tricera, Water
PkiGe0K.png
Unnamed: Goyle, Air
BR8JH8M.png
Unnamed: Raja, Earth

KitkatKK2

Derp
Writer
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Apr 18, 2021
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
They/She
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Clever
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon can often be found alone in her room writing or reading. This is because she is an introvert who doesn’t feel like going outside today.
hmmm
the art style in the cutscenes reminds me a bit of balan.
That game, despite its MANY flaws, had really pretty characters

As for the teammates... Name the Goyle Gregory. Why? Alliteration. That's all.

Mattman324

bread
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
YUUSHA
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
KITA KITA KITA
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
He/They
Pokémon Type
  1. Bug
  2. Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A very small trash boy last seen clawing themself out of the gender dumpster.
Also, while this time skip makes perfect sense, I would KILL to see what having a Tsintao in a domestic setting was like. I bet Hannah and Todd went on so many adventures with them.

Awwwwwwww that sounds very cute <3

That's what we like to see! A nice big success to open the game!

Now, that said, you’re still not beating a team with a Compso on it.

Fingers crossed you get one again, watching enemies try to beat you was hilarious.

D'awww, that's a very cute smile. I love little details like proper happy smiles that might only last a single frame!

Yeah, that's. Concerning.

KL-33N! Buddy! So good to see you again, welcome back!

Raja is a close-range Earth Type Vivosaur, and is very reliable.

The name Raja will always remind me of this wise-cracking old joker from the classic Phantasy Star games!

So naturally I request that he be named Su Raja in honour of the drunkest priest in the tree.

Our other encounter is Goyle!

...His skin texture reminds me of how insect nests are generally shown in games and I don't know how to feel about that.

TricMagic

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 20, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokemon only rarely leaves it's cave to hunt down birbs. Oftentimes, it can only be spotted by it's strange aura in the sky.
(I’m like 90% sure the answer is zero, this localization team didn’t add nearly as many puns into this as they did into FF. good)
Ribular Town=Popular Town, just with Rib popping out Pop. Everyone wants to be here!
Fighter Station=Sub Station(not really, but sounds like a Train[ing] Station.)
Stella=Star. Not sure if that ever comes up.
Greta=Old. It's an old girl's name, much like the fossils.
Okay, Fossil Fighting actually has some new stuff that’s relevant now that we have two Vivosaurs, so I guess I’ll listen to… Devon. Devon Strait……….. demonstrate………………..
;)
The Vivosaurs of Castelio Park are not cowards.
I mean, they are Soldiers meant to fight in tourneys to improve their rank and fame.
Castello literally means Castle in french. The fact it's one letter eff just means Lio sounds like Leo. Which is fun due to this tidbit about stars(Stella)
Lio-(astronomy): A constellation of the zodiac, shaped approximately like a lion and containing the bright star Regulus
Lio-(astrology): The zodiac sign for the Lion, ruled by the Sun and covering July 23 - August 22 (tropical astrology) or August 16 - September 15 (sidereal astrology).

.. Granted, might have got the name wrong there, since it ends in Teo(God in spanish). Caliosteo Fossil Park. Calio... Oh, it's a cat/lion/stegosaurus.
Calio(of an animal, especially a cat) multicolored or mottled. Multicoloed Fossil Park, where Stars are born!

Paleogpagers: No guess what this name means, Fossil Pagers.

... Sally? Did we need cowgirl name?
Anyway
, Treasure Lake. Do I need to make it?
Nope.

Also, this thing looks like a chameleon sticking itself out from behind some foliage on a brance. Maybe it's just me.

Granted, the existence of bonehead hollow might point to it being an alien from outer space. Reminds me of the heads from the last game.. Of which there are three islands.

THAT’S RIGHT YOU CAN ACTUALLY NAME VIVOSAURS IN THIS GAME. Also Tsintao is Rank 2 rather than Rank 1, how nice!

And yes, I will be renaming them Groose once the gameplay catches up to where I was when I posted part 1. I can’t deny that the resemblance is uncanny.
YES~

It's a Gargoyle from hell. Just look at that eye burning with fire. Let's name you Charlio!

That's all from me. Good luck! Also, the Raja is Beat. ... Goyle just looks demonic though.

bhelryss

rose cultivator
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 7, 2021
Nature
Gentle
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Grass
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
this pokemon can be found encouraging plant growth in other people's gardens, but can be territorial about the resulting blooms
ohhhh new friends!!!!! [you should name goyle crabbe. i will not be explaining]

i like the cutscenes....they're real fun

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
That is what fanfiction is for. 😤

Also, that two years of Modern AU No Powers makes me really worried about losing our starter..! 😭

nBWphuY.png

Yesssss get that lens flare in shot…
No one:
Absolutely no one:
Cutscene: 📸

Wait, the town's name is Ribular? As in, rib? As in, each area is named after parts of the body? As in, the island is a body? As in, the island is a Vivosaur? Lissen, I remember the first game: These devs could choose to greenlight anything!

Oooh, the revival machine looks fancier! The cleaning interface appears to be… exactly the same. Good, don’t try and fix what isn’t broken! (cough cough frontier)
*remembers what little I know of Frontier* :ohdear:

That's two years of off-screen Modern AU No Powers for ya!

I love Tricera's design! 💙

mDqFknD.png

I love him. 🥺

That’s why the arena has so many hexagons! You’ll also notice that there’s no escape zone anymore. The Vivosaurs of Castelio Park are not cowards.
the vivosaurs of castelio park should be prepared for some funerals then

5vHxqU0.png

I have no idea why this bit of worldbuilding was included, but it makes me chuckle. Of course it’s fossil-themed.
If you don't send dinosaur-themed texts, you get the ban hammer. 🔨

Yes, yes, you'll win several private islands, but I spy a yellow-eyed rival character. 👀

"We"? Todd, there's no "I" in Fossil Battle. ...Wait...

Joe Wildwest doesn't believe in negotiating terms with his employees. 😠

"Yeargh" is a combo between "yeah" and "argh." As in, "Yeah, I was stupid, argh!"

Todd:
rupaul-fracking-wyoming.jpg

THE GROOSE IS LOOSE! :D

OP
TheTRUEgge

TheTRUEgge

Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
hmmm
the art style in the cutscenes reminds me a bit of balan.
That game, despite its MANY flaws, had really pretty characters

As for the teammates... Name the Goyle Gregory. Why? Alliteration. That's all.

Huh, I dunno what that is! The artstyle in the cutscenes is pretty nice.

Hmmm, a solid argument.

Headcanon, Benji is off Fossil Battling in space, to become champion of the universe.

Honestly this probably isn't that far off. He's busy.

reminder

name it Baja Blast

you know you want to dew it

benji right now:

I looked but I didn't find anything... I'll go back with an upgraded sonar.

I'll do you one better!

honestly yeah

Awwwwwwww that sounds very cute <3

That's what we like to see! A nice big success to open the game!

Fingers crossed you get one again, watching enemies try to beat you was hilarious.

D'awww, that's a very cute smile. I love little details like proper happy smiles that might only last a single frame!

Yeah, that's. Concerning.

KL-33N! Buddy! So good to see you again, welcome back!

The name Raja will always remind me of this wise-cracking old joker from the classic Phantasy Star games!

So naturally I request that he be named Su Raja in honour of the drunkest priest in the tree.

...His skin texture reminds me of how insect nests are generally shown in games and I don't know how to feel about that.

It would've been so good!

Haha yeah, I've still got it!

Sadly my rules will prevent it. HOWEVER. There were a few super busted Vivosaurs that I didn't get to use...

It's very nice! I love the little details in this game.

It's a little weird... smh Joe and his lack of communication...

Surprise guest star!

Hmmmm I see I see..... unfortunately Mattman's suggestion made me cackle so

Hm, maybe it's because I'm used to it but I just see scales.

Ribular Town=Popular Town, just with Rib popping out Pop. Everyone wants to be here!
Fighter Station=Sub Station(not really, but sounds like a Train[ing] Station.)
Stella=Star. Not sure if that ever comes up.
Greta=Old. It's an old girl's name, much like the fossils.

;)

I mean, they are Soldiers meant to fight in tourneys to improve their rank and fame.
Castello literally means Castle in french. The fact it's one letter eff just means Lio sounds like Leo. Which is fun due to this tidbit about stars(Stella)
Lio-(astronomy): A constellation of the zodiac, shaped approximately like a lion and containing the bright star Regulus
Lio-(astrology): The zodiac sign for the Lion, ruled by the Sun and covering July 23 - August 22 (tropical astrology) or August 16 - September 15 (sidereal astrology).

.. Granted, might have got the name wrong there, since it ends in Teo(God in spanish). Caliosteo Fossil Park. Calio... Oh, it's a cat/lion/stegosaurus.
Calio(of an animal, especially a cat) multicolored or mottled. Multicoloed Fossil Park, where Stars are born!

Paleogpagers: No guess what this name means, Fossil Pagers.

... Sally? Did we need cowgirl name?
Anyway
, Treasure Lake. Do I need to make it?

Nope.

Also, this thing looks like a chameleon sticking itself out from behind some foliage on a brance. Maybe it's just me.

Granted, the existence of bonehead hollow might point to it being an alien from outer space. Reminds me of the heads from the last game.. Of which there are three islands.

YES~

It's a Gargoyle from hell. Just look at that eye burning with fire. Let's name you Charlio!

That's all from me. Good luck! Also, the Raja is Beat. ... Goyle just looks demonic though.

Hmm, those are a bit of a stretch. I think a lot of them are just practical names tbh.

Yeah paleopagers is just a play on paleontology, because dinosaur reference.

No no, there's an actual chameleon Vivosaur in the DLC. You'll see. We will get to him.

There's no way this is a natural skull, unless it's, like, a whale skull? Something marine, if I had to guess.

Goyle is a good boy how dare you

ohhhh new friends!!!!! [you should name goyle crabbe. i will not be explaining]

i like the cutscenes....they're real fun

Crabbe is adorable. definitely using that!

the cutscenes are lovely! I like them a lot haha

That is what fanfiction is for. 😤

Also, that two years of Modern AU No Powers makes me really worried about losing our starter..! 😭

No one:
Absolutely no one:
Cutscene: 📸

Wait, the town's name is Ribular? As in, rib? As in, each area is named after parts of the body? As in, the island is a body? As in, the island is a Vivosaur? Lissen, I remember the first game: These devs could choose to greenlight anything!

*remembers what little I know of Frontier* :ohdear:

That's two years of off-screen Modern AU No Powers for ya!

I love Tricera's design! 💙

I love him. 🥺

the vivosaurs of castelio park should be prepared for some funerals then

If you don't send dinosaur-themed texts, you get the ban hammer. 🔨

Yes, yes, you'll win several private islands, but I spy a yellow-eyed rival character. 👀

"We"? Todd, there's no "I" in Fossil Battle. ...Wait...

Joe Wildwest doesn't believe in negotiating terms with his employees. 😠

"Yeargh" is a combo between "yeah" and "argh." As in, "Yeah, I was stupid, argh!"

Todd:
rupaul-fracking-wyoming.jpg

THE GROOSE IS LOOSE! :D

You right, you right. I don't want to write it though.

I'm sure it'll be fiiine!

YEAH IT DO BE LIKE THAT.

haha IF ONLY. Though there actually is a later really obvious body reference so you may be on to something!

Frontier... tried. It failed, but. It tried.

Tricera is a really good design! Such a fun Vivosaur.

He's good!

omg that's absolutely what's going on.

Rival characters are COOL. We need to collect 'em all!

Sorry Todd this is an INDIVIDUAL sport!

He probably figured they wouldn't come on as employees if they knew the park was up for grabs. I believe that they don't actually play in the tournament, but they DO all have Vivosaurs.

Todd is efficient.

slkjfdslf

THE GROOSE

I’m riding the high of actually getting data from my lab work today so sure let’s write up a new part. Maybe by the time this publishes my study will be over? Unlikely but we’ll see.

(It’s not over but I totally wrote the replies while I was procrastinating on taking samples)

Last time, we got some new teammates! Per comment recommendations, Goyle shall be Crabbe and Raja will be Raja Blast. I’ll get them named in-game before too long, but I play a part or two ahead of where I write.

1UYuq8l.png

Our first stop today is the Fossil Guild, which is to the left of the Fighter Station. We’ll be using all three of the services here far more often than we did in FF, but for now we just need to sell some things.

1RaUl32.png

X3ocbp6.png

I cut her explanation and sold everything in my Fossil Case for a decent profit. Like last time, we’ll be saving for the Fossil Chip–The first one allows you to dig up arm fossils, and the second allows you to dig up legs. More body parts means more ranks, which will give Charlie a serious edge against her opponents.

At the moment, only head and body fossils are available, so I’d like all of my Vivosaurs to have both before we move on.

At Treasure Lake…

vykW22X.png

k0Gut2O.png

CzhafwQ.png

Sorry who? I’m busy looking at the looming skull and the expanse of woods in the background…

BMbtrYF.png

XLTJr6f.png

yBXGzOs.png

eSbveqC.png

eJMiA63.png

Huhh, if he’s the fighting prodigy Linda says he is, he might be a real threat to Charlie’s chances…

nAh1CUO.png

Wocs5Mj.png

L7fTAk6.png

Hm… let’s just hope confidence is his downfall, huh? I’m sure Charlie could beat him, but also, it’s easier for her if somebody else beats him first.

qgVOhx4.png

It’s the second one and that hero is Charlie!! She’s in the back, orange side ponytail, can’t miss her.

mtZWuDP.png

Rupert don’t talk about people behind their back like that it’s rude.

(The reporter and her cameraman already walked off)

mdUAUk0.png

You read my mind. It’d be nice to get an idea of what his team is like…

kNp5VjX.png

07WJxAq.png

Oh yeah, the reporter said that but I cut the line. Though, you know, if you don’t want people harassing him, maybe don’t announce his presence to the whole competition? Just a thought.

It sounded like Todd wanted to challenge Rupert to a battle, so now’s the perfect chance to scout out Rupert’s abilities! And Todd’s while we’re at it, I suppose. We don’t actually know what his starter was…

1NkSMtw.png

They’re down by the lake.

ybeUr2W.png

35oXDjW.png

TVoFc9P.png

xIRK2xF.png

Oh no. He’s edgy.

OyNVs0V.png

eZNjbOr.png

1MASsKn.png

Woah, rude! Dude, you don’t think Fossil Battles are fun, I have reason to doubt that your Vivosaurs are any happier than Todd’s.

dnxEkQ4.png

BOLD WORDS, TODD.

6lchn9v.png

Y3tTtQ6.png

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT

R0waSvr.png

Looks like Todd started out with a Stego, how nice! Rupert has a Raja and a Mapo, which we haven’t seen before. It doesn’t appear in this Dig Site, so I assume it’s his starter. I wonder if everybody got a random one? What I wouldn’t give to be the person who got Guan…

yissoDl.png

hb7fdDo.png

I’m pretty sure that’s a scripted miss but still. Oof.

lMwl6TW.png

APuaXpp.png

Well that went about as well as the team compositions would have made you expect.

QTiIngh.png

Well at least it wasn’t in one of the cup fights, buddy.

1vusfMo.png

Red text indicates another tutorial run Charlie run!

nLWbij3.png

PHmahoC.png

Oh wait nevermind I could sum it up in one screenshot. Rupert shares my disdain for tutorials, I feel.

fDRZFnN.png

khjpUlg.png

UlJZWXp.png

This is true! He was rude to you, that means it’s Charlie’s responsibility to beat the crap outta him.

QvLy89z.png

CG8IJz1.png

Oh hey, looks like we did enough plot for the first round to start, nice!

yw3QuGx.png

wlLxkZ5.png

That is… distinctly less nice.

JtYaMI9.png

qQIHFnW.png

:( Sorry Todd, it would’ve been nice to see how far you got… but Charlie has to WIN.

fenh1jf.png

I took a moment to check out Groose’s fossil page, since we didn’t revive them. Looks like they have a decently-cleaned head and some battle points under their belt. I can work with that. Since Groose came at Rank 2, they’re going to end up higher ranked than our other Vivosaurs.

qTMpf7w.png

g3hRCsH.png

Challenges for Fossil Rocks happen much more frequently in FFC. I’m sure there’s a pattern to them, but heck if I know what it is. I DO know that rocks you’re challenged for aren’t always red-boned, like they were in FF.

vaH5a05.png

Anyways Groose crit OHKO’d the enemy Raja and we won.

JjOecIy.png

ZxrY0qX.png

TeXshi5.png

They got a rank out of it, too! Valiant Tackle is pretty expensive, unfortunately, so we probably won’t be able to use it freely for a good while. But Groose unlocking it teaches us an important lesson about FFC: Moves are no longer tied to getting extra body parts! They can be learned through rank up, too. This is more useful in a casual playthrough than it will be here, since I intend for all my Vivosaurs to have all four body parts ASAP, but it’s still a really nice QoL feature.

STio1XL.png

aO01OK8.png

Dang, it really is a rank up party today, huh.

CpKIGcy.png

I only noticed this when I was writing up the part, and it’s probably a coincidence, but that fighter did have the Vivosaur this rock corresponds to in their party. Interesting.

(This doesn’t hold true for future Dig Sites as far as I can tell)

sIzub7L.png

IK4M7Ne.png

I didn’t take pictures of what this kid had so that little experiment will have to wait until another day.

gZGsism.png

And after another rank up seriously what is going on? I’m not complaining but dang!

5EvygRx.png

cOJo8qQ.png

6y72F77.png

PjT75R2.png

That wasn’t quickly, it took four whole screens! And a fifth that I cut! Do better, Devon.

6VigPws.png

At least KL-33N gets to the point. Okay, let’s see if we got lucky.

QUV1Jm2.png

Alright, first captured Buster Point of the run! I got one earlier that I missed the screenshot for, but these are new in FFC. If you follow the little circle guidelines…

lEEVlVP.png

… A big portion of the rock is blasted away, leaving you with much less area to clean. Not all fossils have buster points, and not all buster points are created equal–in some fossils they hardly do anything, while in others you can clean an entire fossil by doing nothing but using the buster points. Overall an excellent addition that I’m very thankful for.

UGB26KZ.png

All that hype over the buster points and I somehow came shy of getting 100 points. Shame on me.

hwFK0qM.png

AaZYyW4.png

w5WDF16.png

(That was Goyle’s body, by the way. Excite skills do the same thing they did in Champions, but honestly might be even better here? The rotation system has been overhauled so significantly that it’s hard to compare the way the condition works. It CAN impact any Vivosaur on the field, not just the one in the AZ, so that’s a major plus)

Hmm, actually, after writing that whole thing out, I’ve realized that I have ~thoughts~ about the status conditions and how their usefulness has changed between FF and FFC. They are in the below spoiler, I’ll bring these points up again as statuses become relevant.

Only covering negative status effects because honestly, the positive ones are about the same in both games.

Poison: Far better in FFC than in FF. Because there’s no EZ, there isn’t an easy way to dispel poison besides just taking damage. It’s a good way to do a decent chunk of damage, and having a Vivosaur with Poison is a pretty good call.

Sleep: Sleep is incredible in FF and FFC, though it’s a lot more prominent in FFC because a few Vivosaurs have abilities that send them to battle asleep (Which is bad, but sleep itself is nice to have around). Sleeping Vivosaurs cannot attack, rotate, or evade attacks, but they’ll start to wake up if they get hit by attacks. It’s very rare but very good if you can get your hands on it. Better in Champions because of how much more important rotation is.

Scare: It’s very middling and relies entirely on luck. It prevents a few random attacks from being used for a set number of turns, and that just… isn’t very useful, sadly. There’s no reason to dispel it by sending your Vivosaur into the EZ, really, so it’s about as good in FF as it is in FFC.

Excite: We’ve seen how this can screw you over in FF, and in FFC it’s got a lot more versatility. The varying positions possible in FFC make it significantly easier to screw the opponent over, especially when paired with rotation skills. However, it’s a lot more dependent on team composition–Excitement will hit a team of exclusively long-range Vivosaurs much harder than it would hit a team of mid-range Vivosaurs. Overall, it’s a touch more niche in FFC since most teams will do fine if they can’t rotate for a bit, but if you can use it right? Ho boy, it’ll serve you well.

Confuse: Annoying in FF and potentially terrifying in FFC. In Champions, Vivosaurs afflicted with super confusion can attack their own allies, and will otherwise attack randomly/not attack at all. RNG-dependent, but still pretty solid. It’s scarier in FFC though.

Enrage: You will never hit an attack if you are enraged. Your enraged opponents will ALWAYS hit their attacks. At least in FF you can dispel it.

Overall, Poison got the most major buff in FFC, Enrage sucks. That’s it that’s the tier list.

Okay that took longer than anticipated. Let’s move on.

nuisZLT.png

Oh you have GOT to be kidding me. One point away from a rank up????

lG38gse.png

Their name is Groose now, as requested.

JMBzgrZ.png

I didn’t find Groose’s body in my last visit to Treasure Lake, so Crabbe was thankfully able to pick up their fourth rank during the trip.

bu2r32I.png

nPhV2FU.png

7vTSsnn.png

Got it on the next run! And OH COME ON. Again???

HTYsSF6.png

Oh huh, cool. Because DP is a bit more useful in this game, I might actually use KL-33N’s services. If you leave him fossils and he cleans them worse than you did (Which he will) they’re donated automatically. It’s nice.

Lh8MwzZ.png

tDFa66e.png

We’ll leave those with him and get one last body part…

19BWPMg.png

m5mRrLH.png

nTZSZJU.png

Aaand Stripey is now ready for battle! Wonderful.

I was going to save the fight with Todd until the next part, but there’s no sense in putting it off, really!

EFUqV9R.png

7wUvhBo.png

0aOq6Ib.png

Team looks good to me. Let’s go!

JxBwGch.png

UPfngKP.png

lI073Hn.png

RSpIErj.png

Todd’s a real sweetie, I like him a lot.

BqKymkO.png

Unfortunately, his team is… less than ideal. I guess he didn’t pick up a non-air type after all.

Also, you’ll notice that Groose is in the SZ for this fight. There’s a reason for that, and it has to do with their ability! “Link” occasionally activates after another Vivosaur on your team has attacked, and it allows the user to get in an extra attack… for free. In FF, this ability was reserved for fairly weak Vivosaurs, but Tsintao is pretty darn tough, and so is its weakest attack. If we can trigger Link, we may save ourselves a lot of trouble.

cU20hW5.png

We go first! And oh, right, commentators! They’re different in FFC! The one on screen now is Ty Ranno, and is supposedly a T-Rex (I don’t believe that, he does NOT look the part). His partner, who I’m sure we’ll see before long, is Trip Cera the Triceratops.

CWcmvpa.png

Yup, there he is! And he’s right, this is awfully unfortunate…

F2wg4me.png

8TZpbnm.png

88ZG5lZ.png

Awww, that chomp OHKO’d so we couldn’t see Link activate…

5GUAjce.png

8nMZcSX.png

caf9NPd.png

Because of rotation mechanics, Vivosaurs no longer automatically move from the SZ to the AZ when the AZ Vivosaur falls. They stay wherever they were. Anyways, here we see Todd making an effort. He sure tried.

yFVcj2P.png

gM0uB4Z.png

It didn’t help, but…

CyKjy1C.png

We did it! Round 1 of the tournament, complete!

WHiadpt.png

vKLCFIL.png

jGPTZDO.png

I’ve never used Tsintao before so what does this Mean. What does “randomly attack team several times” mean, game??? I don’t even have a max FP high enough to use it and find out!!

mrCRseR.png

TtC0ZLj.png

Anyways, Stella comes by to congratulate Charlie! How sweet.

Hey71Iw.png

zWGioer.png

txuPEBR.png

Oooh, nice. I’m not sure how much I’ll need this, but seeing as I’m bound to find a giant fossil eventually, I… probably will.

And after that..!

xQDxPyE.png

Nn5dBjK.png

We rank up! That’s right, there are no more level-up battles. Instead, you get experience for completing story and side quests. This does mean that it’s in our best interest to do side quests, so I’m sure we’ll end up doing a few! For the most part, though, you’ll end up getting a rank after every round of the Cup.

7tW0RWt.png

wQIQ0sI.png

H2DvUM5.png

2H1PxoR.png

I’ve said it once, I’ll say it a thousand times: Todd is a sweetie.

zK7R05s.png

iSbL891.png

DaKyrVO.png

rh1NJ1b.png

Aww, thanks buddy! Now Charlie has to win!

ikuK0FL.png

6jWlvao.png

Oh, it’s you again. I’m… starting to suspect you’ve never had friends before.

ppnpINp.png

BtblQMR.png

h5dazyp.png

Wrbi58x.png

xOhK93p.png

Dude you could’ve just, like, not approached us. Ever considered that?

k59JMi9.png

Yeah, seriously, what was up with that??

Est6dBk.png

O2ifrgf.png

Way ahead of you, Todd, don’t worry.

ygLCSQT.png

rOxwWui.png

d9qwtD2.png

AfSIJpN.png

Ooooh, a jungle? That sounds cool!

GiKiF31.png

B77i5uw.png

And Todd gets to come too? Nice! We’ll be tackling the jungle… next time. See you then!

GThOWCm.png
Groose: Tsintao, Earth
cRY5ePJ.png
Stripey: Tricera, Water
PkiGe0K.png
Crabbe: Goyle, Air
BR8JH8M.png
Raja Blast: Raja, Earth

TricMagic

Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 20, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry

Mattman324

bread
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 30, 2019
Nature
Adamant
Pronouns
YUUSHA
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric