• Episode Two of The Writer's Locke season two is here! In it we continue our storylocke reads and discuss the topic of fantasy vs realism in portraying pokemon. Then, we have a very special message from a sponsor in Johto!
  • Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Screenshot Let's Play Fossil Fighters, but it's a Nuzlocke

Thread Description
Benji needed a vacation, so he went to a place with dinosaurs.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Also, I didn’t capture it before the battle, but this man’s name is P.B. Jay. Maybe he was drawn to being a criminal after his parents gave him such an awful pun of a name.

t h e r e i s n o e t h i c a l c o n s u m p t i o n u n d e r c a p i t a l i s m

SIR YOU JUST HAD A MAGICAL GIRL TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE THERE IS NO WAY YOU AREN’T THE BIG BAD.
Facts. 😤

… Rosie, where did you get a Merta? The shop’s not open yet, and they don’t appear in this Dig Site…
Rosie:

Auto Counter. Definitely planned this.
Aw heck, Rough Skin strats!

You need... only 55 points to pass the cleaning test? Man, I wish my tests only required a 55 out of 100!

Good to know that at least these Level-Up Battles work like driver's license tests (in that you can keep re-taking them). Also, what did you do, Rosie? Only use the hammer?

Benji did a thing, and now he’s in the paper! This will be a running theme.
Rosie: "Am I joke to you?" knowing the story of this game, yes

Luckily, I don’t remember the NPCs in this game being very threatening…

Pachy is so cute! But it's a murderer..! 😭

Honest grunt. 😤

I was right! S-Raptor is a fire-type, and is pretty reliable, if a bit boring. Her name shall be… Star! It just has good vibes.
Heeehee, it's a fire type, and her name is Star.

Sometimes the highlighted red text is a little on the nose. It’s very funny.
Dr. Diggins is an eternal mood.

Attendant needs to test if you're mature enough to resort to violence!

When you finally get the Nychus head:

TheTRUEgge

three of them?? this has gotten out of hand!
Artist
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokémon Type
Fire, Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the feedback on the last part! It has taught me a lesson. A terrible lesson.

Nooooo, poor Frill! She was so cute!

I have to admit this Nuzlocke is really making me look at the Fossil Fighters series again. I always skipped over them because Pokemon Nerd, but this looks very cute and light-hearted and punny. I think we could all use more of those.
She didn't deserve to get done so dirty...

It's surprisingly good! Fossil Fighters and Fossil Fighters Champions are two of my favorite non-pokemon video games for a good reason.

So I've been reading this for a while and yeah this game's pretty interesting. I recently watched the RPG Monger's video on this series and I can't wait for how you're gonna handle the late game.

Also RIP Frill
Don't worry, I have a PLAN for the late game (It involves Fossil Chips and luck)

RIP indeed...

t h e r e i s n o e t h i c a l c o n s u m p t i o n u n d e r c a p i t a l i s m

Facts. 😤

Rosie:

Aw heck, Rough Skin strats!

You need... only 55 points to pass the cleaning test? Man, I wish my tests only required a 55 out of 100!

Good to know that at least these Level-Up Battles work like driver's license tests (in that you can keep re-taking them). Also, what did you do, Rosie? Only use the hammer?
Rosie: "Am I joke to you?" knowing the story of this game, yes

Pachy is so cute! But it's a murderer..! 😭

Honest grunt. 😤

Heeehee, it's a fire type, and her name is Star.

Dr. Diggins is an eternal mood.

Attendant needs to test if you're mature enough to resort to violence!

When you finally get the Nychus head:
I definitely took Auto Counter into account during that battle, absolutely.
If only tests were this easy in real life... they do get more difficult as the game progresses, though.

Star is a good baby!!
I'm convinced that Diggins is just every academic.

Now… where the HECK were we.

Ah, yes. You.

hEY WAIT I DIDN’T SIGN UP FOR ANOTHER TUTORIAL

These typings are very intuitive (if you play Pokemon and just use the colors)

A new challenger approaches! Alectro, a water type, is strong against our new pal Firework, but Firework also has five ranks up on this guy, so I am… not very concerned.

He’s leading with the Venator. Fire is strong against Earth, so I’m just gonna…

Dang, he threw it in the EZ before Firework could get the kill D:

Anyways, Alectro… exists.

Just a sliver of hp left; Tox could finish it off easily… however, I am going to do some mad strats with my one brain cell. See, Venator won’t come out of the EZ for another turn, but if I kill this Alectro now, it’ll get a chance to hit Garret and possibly get a crit. This Alectro can’t kill Garret. I’ll just wait this one out; by next round, I’ll have enough FP to kill both Vivosaurs.

I didn’t notice it before, but yeah, this Venator had ONE LP. Pain.

Anyways it’s dead. Time to move on!

No big deal, just a random battle where Garret almost freakin died. I have everything under control at all times.

In lieu of “Benji hiding behind things” for this part, I present “things that stumped (lol) child egg for a very long time”. If you’re wondering why, it’s because there’s normally a breakable stump where Rosie is standing, and the brown is REALLY hard to tell apart from the gray.

NEVER.

Oh yeah I got a Jewel Rock and this happened. Our boy is getting large!

Benji made it a fair bit deeper into the forest, AND THEN…

Ah, so this is Digadig Village! They say “digadig” a lot, that’s the ‘strange language’ Beth was talking about.

ROSIE, THEY CAN PROBABLY HEAR YOU. Goodness...

A problem, you say? Good thing we’ve already gotten one mini-adventure under our belts! I’m sure this one won’t be nearly as difficult as, uh… stopping a medal thief.

(Some of those treasures are fossils, and yes, you can dig them up. I don’t… I don’t understand)

Okay, so there are some petty thieves afoot. Good news, Benji has already handled one of those! Although…

You know what, that’s fair. I would also be scared if a bunch of tourists showed up with discs of metal that turned into dinosaurs somehow.

I was gonna do it anyways, there’s another catch to be had in the Digadiamond…

… Oh no. I didn’t get a screenshot of the Chieftain doing a hip-shaker dance and summoning A LITERAL BOLT OF LIGHTNING TO STRIKE ROSIE. Curses, past me! Why are you like this! Just, uh. Take my word for it.

Anyways, Rosie woke up and now she’s doing this.

Gotta be honest, this whole part of the plot feels like a fever dream. But, like, Rosie did ASK to be rewarded, so…
(to be even more honest, this entire game feels like a fever dream. This is the bit that sticks in my mind most clearly as an example, though)

Alrighty, new area unlocked! I’m gonna go clean a bunch of stuff now byeeeeeeeee.

Tasty, tasty moners… intermission over. Plot Time.

It has a new location tag, so it’s a new area! It also has… this random guy. Hi, random guy.

Oh heck, he wants to fight! Good thing we came prepared.

He was less threatening than most of the random fighters who challenge you after fossil battles. I can already tell this is going to be a fun evil team to deal with.

At least the lines are funny.

Seriously, why can Benji mine for fossils in here? I’m not complaining, it just feels so wrong.

There are also a bunch of bones you can just… whack with your pickaxe. And past those bones…

Yup, that’s a dog. Yup, it’s challenging us to a fossil battle. Just don’t… don’t think about it too much.

He’s got a few Vivosaurs that are new to us! Bulky buggers. That giant sloth can hit HARD, too (The damage here isn’t coming from the sloth, it’s from Nodo).

On occasion, I remember to take dynamic shots of major fossil battles.

Okay, so Megath CAN hit hard, but it clearly didn’t just then. Garret, conversely, is on POINT today.

Oh yeah and Star got a rank out of that, very nice.

WHY IS THIS HERE
(it’s a warning. One that I REFUSE TO HEED)

… Hm. The dog has an accomplice. This can only go well.

Buddy, I stomped the dog’s team in less than a minute, you won’t do the same to mine. Even if your Carcher is pretty threatening to my team composition.

ow

OW

Ok cool it’s dead. Told you it would be fine.

Aaand that’s that. Sorry sir, your team just can’t hold a candle to my grossly overleveled one.

Oh, do you have another Vivosaur? Benji can probably beat that one, too.

Half of this game’s humor comes from its animations and I am DEVASTATED that I cannot properly capture this man’s bouncy walk to that random place by the stairs.

*click!*

A HOLE OPENED UP DIRECTLY UNDERNEATH BENJI BUT NOTHING ELSE, WHY--

This game is great.

Eh, he’s probably fine. We’ll find out about it… next time!

Active:
Garret, Spinax, Air
Tox, V-Raptor, Air
Star, S-Raptor, Fire
Firework, Nychus, Fire

Dead:
Frill, Shanshan, Air

Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
They/Them
Pokémon Type
Bug, Psychic
Pokédex Entry
A very small trash boy last seen clawing themself out of the gender dumpster.
Gotta be honest, this whole part of the plot feels like a fever dream. But, like, Rosie did ASK to be rewarded, so…
Wow, Karma sure struck swiftly with that one, HAH!

I kinda want to hug the giant sloth-monster. It looks so done.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Writer
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
Dragon, Cool
Pokédex Entry
"Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Just a sliver of hp left; Tox could finish it off easily… however, I am going to do some mad strats with my one brain cell. See, Venator won’t come out of the EZ for another turn, but if I kill this Alectro now, it’ll get a chance to hit Garret and possibly get a crit. This Alectro can’t kill Garret. I’ll just wait this one out; by next round, I’ll have enough FP to kill both Vivosaurs.
Heck yeah, go brain cell! 🧠 The Fossil Points system reminds me of the Brave/Default system of Bravely Default (and Octopath Traveler, to a certain extent): Do you save your attacks to unleash all in one turn, or do you prioritize steady, smaller amounts of damage?

Ah, so this is Digadig Village! They say “digadig” a lot, that’s the ‘strange language’ Beth was talking about.
Beth has clearly never played Animal Crossing. What a shame, pthhpth.

You know what, that’s fair. I would also be scared if a bunch of tourists showed up with discs of metal that turned into dinosaurs somehow.
You know, we only ever see Fossil Fighters on this rich guy's island. Is being a Fossil Fighter a niche interest, then? What I'm saying is... The Digadigs might be in the majority here. >_>

BB boo

Yup, that’s a dog. Yup, it’s challenging us to a fossil battle. Just don’t… don’t think about it too much
I mean, if dogs can learn to drive, why can't they learn how to Fossil Battle?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)