Screenshot Let's Play Fossil Fighters, but it's a Nuzlocke

For Post Game: Should deaths only count in the event of a team wipe?

• Yes, change the rules to this

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No, keep the rules as they were before

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
Extravanganza Accordian Demo Extravanganza Accordian Demo Extravanganza Accordian Demo
Thread Description
Benji needed a vacation, so he went to a place with dinosaurs.

TheTRUEgge

three of them?? this has gotten out of hand!
Badges
Pronouns
She/Her
Dex Entry This Pokémon has too many ideas for their own good.
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
DMO4Noo.png

That’s a weird-looking Aerodactyl.

Hello, and welcome to my third Nuzforum run! I had a lot of fun with Lucky Platinum, but with Sunlocke still ongoing, I thought it would be nice to sit back, relax, and do a chill screenshot Nuzlocke. We’ll see how it goes!

I’m playing a game I haven’t revisited in a while, using a set of rules I came up with years ago for this very purpose. The game, as you may have already guessed…

qwQ5RqC.png

Is Fossil Fighters!

Fossil Fighters is an… interesting game to Nuzlocke. The main challenge is a lack of distinct areas, which is something I’ve accounted for in my ruleset. Even so, the limited number of Vivosaurs we’ll be able to obtain (More on them later) will make this kinda funky.
You may only use the first Vivosaur you find in each area. Other fossils may be dug up and cleaned, but not used.
Areas are defined as places with a unique selection of fossils. This means that Pay-to-Dig sites may be used, as can the mines in Rivet Ravine and the ship in the Bottomsup Bay.
If there are multiple locations with the same fossils, up to two encounters may be made for those areas.
Due to the low number of available Vivosaurs in certain areas of the game, some liberties will be taken by what does and does not count as an area. These will be judgement-based.
If a Vivosaur is knocked out in battle, it is dead and may no longer be used.
Give every Vivosaur a nickname.

l2NfbFo.png

Okay, time to get started! Don’t mind the first file, I was just making sure saving and cleaning were both possible. Selecting ‘new game’ prompts us to a fairly useless screen that I’ll just skip right over. And then… darkness.

2LFwHUp.png

Oh, cool, we get to watch a video! Very exciting.

opyKpDR.png

The answer to ‘how on earth did they get an island shaped like a dinosaur head’ is clearly that they’re rich and just blew a hole in the middle. Sadly, there is no confirmation of my obviously correct theory in-game.

2ofBRNF.png

nwP1JRL.png

cdo37ki.png

JPDeONZ.png

That’s what we’re here for! Gonna dig up some fossils and use whatever comes out of them to throw hands.

6tzGoXA.png

This is the last bit of the video, and it’s also our first hint of funny dialogue seen in this game. It gets far, far better, though. Once the video ends, we see… blue! And a boat is revealed to be riding the waves.

ecw68J4.png

FROyoHi.png

Captain Travers is my best friend, but that’s besides the point. He asks us for our name, and, sadly, there is not an option to select your gender. You have to be a boy. That’s fine for now, though, because that’s what I was planning anyways.

k8AC5z8.png

We are, of course, playing as Benji. He’s been through a lot, he needs a vacation! Where he will inevitably lose more friends because this game is deceptively tricky UH but he doesn’t know that yet.

3E58MlX.png

… This may have been a mistake. Oh well, no turning back.

7GnXU7Z.png

Captain Travers for best supporting character. Spoilers: he only shows up in the prologue. It’s very sad.
But before he disappears forever! It’s time for… a quiz.

Z5Hk83F.png

He’d like to find out some things about dinosaurs we like! There are a few questions like this, but I already have a target in mind so I’ll just breeze through them.

1dhxR4x.png

FNUMUrn.png

We’re going to pick Deinonychus! This will be important later. For now, just know that I picked it because it’s a fire type that’s found in the second main area, and it’s good. And I also love it.

UABl30u.png

Oh good, time to meet the best character! Actually, they’re (almost) all great.

V5fYBJj.png

Bye, Travers! I’m sure you’ll never show up again. Sigh.

UXDG0iO.png

nXyaP26.png

It’s HER. Beth is excellent and my friend and mostly just a generic NPC to be completely honest. But she’s one of the only recurring characters whose name ISN’T a pun, so I love her. Anyways, she starts to give some directions about becoming a fossil fighter, but before she can finish…

RM22KAK.png

O0pFqL8.png

r7MRQpv.png

Hello, labcoat man. He’s a bit scatterbrained. It’s Dr. Diggins, the man we were told to find! Luckily, he came to us.

rwpTNR3.png

hpF8Red.png

Aaand right after he agrees to lead us over, he wanders off yet again.

UUQbFmT.png

VgQoVYO.png

Beth is great. I guess we have to find our own way to the Fossil Center, not that it’s terribly hard to spot.

7n11MD6.png

In we gooo!

QSVi8J6.png

MBgKMvY.png

Yup, and I’d like to get on it quickly. I can feel the tutorials creeping.

ZVJFlMG.png

Ah. Well. That’s unfortunate. Wendy suggests we go to the hotel to check in, and gives us directions.

rpTGIFg.png

It’s this one! So off we go.

OxrQ4B5.png

This is the Hotel Manager’s only line of dialogue I would consider normal. The rest of it…

2tIDLmA.png

uGWcXfP.png

I cut a lot out, but it’s all very stilted and almost creepy. He’s definitely a serial killer.
But anyways, our room!

lMRAirX.png

A bed, a newspaper, and an empty shelf. The newspaper will give plot summaries as the game goes on, but the shelf is the most important piece of furniture in this room. Yes, I’m serious.

WO3cwUg.png

Teehee can’t see me

8evh7Vc.png

Okay, enough messing around. Let’s go see if Dr. Diggins is back.

zKZEJgS.png

Poor Wendy is constantly exasperated by this man. She oughta stick a tracker on him.

EJzpIfk.png

Diggins is in the back room, which is also the cleaning room. Hopefully this means we’ll get to some action.

wr6lRMJ.png

Sir you can’t remember what you’re doing for more than two minutes but you can remember Benji’s name? How. Did the hotel guy repeat it to you seven times, like he did to me?

Y48bBY1.png

1kB2LQ0.png

… Okay, yeah, that checks out, actually. Science life just be like that.

RBb3HmX.png

wDJEIGe.png

ipIPYYb.png

y5dClYv.png

gi3x64M.png

LcGLXn9.png

Supervillain origin story.

KQIWtHL.png

That’s what the video said, yes.

IyzMZvR.png

MlY5NaG.png

… Oh dear. I do believe the tutorials are upon us. Diggins starts talking about fossils.

dQIVgT2.png

To save on length, I’ll summarize a bit: There are four types of fossils-- Head, body, arms, and legs-- but a fossil can only be revived on its own if it’s the head. Other fossils will sit in storage until the head fossil is found. Revived things are called Vivosaurs because they’re not perfect recreations of beings from the ancient past; rather, they’re that but with bonus elemental powers. They can also fit inside medals, which is a neat trick!
The more fossils you have of a Vivosaur, the stronger it’ll be. The cleaner the fossil is, the stronger your Vivosaur will be as well!

PXaDS6v.png

Oh boy, this is the part that’s gonna be the most awkward. But at least it’s action!

br3o7By.png

See that timer? We’ve got 90 seconds to extract a fossil from this chunk of rock. The skull icon in the middle will indicate our progress- as more of the fossil is exposed, blue will begin filling it from the bottom down, but if the fossil gets damaged in any way, red will start creeping in from the top. Our goal is to get the blue over the yellow line in the center-- the higher we get above that line, the more experience our Vivosaur will get from the fossil. To see where the fossil is, the X-Ray button can be used- it’s the orange on in the top-center of the bottom screen. To the right of it is the strong but imprecise hammer, and to its left is the precise but slow drill. Both are useful for cleaning- the hammer for breaking away the first few layers of rock, and the drill for getting at the final, and most delicate, layer. With that out of the way, let’s start cleaning!

0jPcdkN.png

Screenshots of my cleanings will be few and far between; on console I can consistently get 95/100 or more, but on emulator it’s a different story. I must concentrate.

rcIr6Pg.png

Fun thing about the drill: It flecks up dust! You’re intended to blow this away using the microphone, but you can also just tap the hammer on the sides of the cleaning table to clear it off. This can damage the fossil, though, so you have to be careful.

CZmbip4.png

Oh hey, I’ll take it! Anything above 90 is good enough in my book; hopefully I’ll get a bit better at coordination as time goes on.

JZRa2JS.png

It’s time to get our first Vivosaur! What’s it gonna be?

GXzgHbD.png

nlqAGPv.png

It’s… a Spinax! As you can see, we’ve only got his head for the moment. Spinax fossils are common in the first area, so we’ll be filling him out soon enough.

ANjTbCe.png

KLnuA4N.png

Here’s a bit more info about our starter! Fossil Fighters doesn’t have a way to nickname Vivosaurs, but I’ll be calling this Spinax Garret from now on. For now, he only has one attack; as we add fossils, he’ll get a couple more. As far as stats go, Spinax is fairly bulky, with high LP, and is a reasonable attacker, but his defense and evasion (Mobility?) are lacking. For the record, I still don’t entirely know how useful accuracy is; I believe it factors into critical hits. Whatever, Garret’s is high and that’s a good thing.

Now it’s time to head over to the Fossil Stadium and learn about battling with our new friend! However, this part is already pretty long, so I think that’ll happen… next time.

Garret the Spinax: Rank 1

1-You are here!

Last edited:

redninjapuffle

Probably playing DragonBall FighterZ
Badges
Pronouns
He
Dex Entry Redninjapuffles are known to want to create their own nuzlocke stories or comics, however, many have yet to start one.
Pronouns
He
Pokédex No.
Caught
Sep 24, 2019
Nature
Calm
Interesting hope you go far

Zorua3

On-and-off Nuzlocker
Badges
Pronouns
He/him
Dex Entry to da fyuchah
Pronouns
He/him
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Saw this in the Creative Content tab and had to click immediately. Fossil Fighters: Champions was my jam back in the day, and its less refined predecessor was also really fun! Though, truth be told, I've forgotten a lot about the OG (most of my memories are of Champions) so I'm super interested to see where this goes both story- and your-playthrough-wise! Particularly the Nuzlocke aspect--I'm interested in the way you handle encounters given this game's areas and system of only the head reviving the vivosaur, it seems like a tricky concept to balance. Good luck!

Master Bryss

zd zd
Badges
Pronouns
he/him
Dex Entry Their body is made of an intricate and interconnected weave of their own puns.
Pronouns
he/him
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Oh now. Gotta love a bit of excavation! Gives me flashbacks to Spectrobes (if anyone even remembers that).

Always down for a pseudomon adventure, let's see where this goes!

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Badges
Pronouns
She/her
Dex Entry "Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Pronouns
She/her
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
It's here! 😍

6tzGoXA.png

This is the last bit of the video, and it’s also our first hint of funny dialogue seen in this game. It gets far, far better, though. Once the video ends, we see… blue! And a boat is revealed to be riding the waves.
I mean, I think the image here is funny too. :P Look at our "Trainer classes": Construction Worker, Cosplayer, Japanese Aesthetic, and... Lass. Yeah, unfortunately, like Pokemon, women are a ~coming attraction~ (As in, you can play as a girl in the next game.)

You know, I'm shocked that Pokemon didn't use the dual screens of the DS to make a map screen. ...I mean, I know there's a Poketch app for that in DPPt, but it's unlocked later, and also, why would you use any Poketch app other than the Dowsing Machine?

The newspaper will give plot summaries as the game goes on
Yes! I love this feature! Again, DPPt experimented with something of this ilk, but it also shoved a summary in your face every time you booted up the game. I prefer having the summary be optional. :) To be fair, though, all of the Pokemon stories are less complex than the story of Fossil Fighters.

1kB2LQ0.png

… Okay, yeah, that checks out, actually. Science life just be like that.
The curse of academia: no free time. 😔

Bruh, a stegosaurus fossil can pay for a new teacup.

Welcome to the team, Garret! Here's hoping our starter is a stalwart ally in this nuzlocke. :)

OP
TheTRUEgge

TheTRUEgge

Badges
Pronouns
She/Her
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Ahh, thank you all so much for the warm reception of this! I’m very excited to continue it, and I’m glad that so many people are here to join me ^^

Interesting hope you go far
Thanks! With any luck, I won't have a problem with that.

Saw this in the Creative Content tab and had to click immediately. Fossil Fighters: Champions was my jam back in the day, and its less refined predecessor was also really fun! Though, truth be told, I've forgotten a lot about the OG (most of my memories are of Champions) so I'm super interested to see where this goes both story- and your-playthrough-wise! Particularly the Nuzlocke aspect--I'm interested in the way you handle encounters given this game's areas and system of only the head reviving the vivosaur, it seems like a tricky concept to balance. Good luck!
Ah, glad to see another fan of the series! The first two Fossil Fighters games were half my childhood, so I'm excited to be revisiting this one.
I've got encounter rules down, and I'm hoping they'll work out okay! They give me a decent selection without ensuring that I can any particular Vivosaur.

Oh now. Gotta love a bit of excavation! Gives me flashbacks to Spectrobes (if anyone even remembers that).

Always down for a pseudomon adventure, let's see where this goes!
Cleaning fossils is fun, shame about the difficulty.

Thanks! I'm excited to see it get going.

It's here! 😍

I mean, I think the image here is funny too. :P Look at our "Trainer classes": Construction Worker, Cosplayer, Japanese Aesthetic, and... Lass. Yeah, unfortunately, like Pokemon, women are a ~coming attraction~ (As in, you can play as a girl in the next game.)

You know, I'm shocked that Pokemon didn't use the dual screens of the DS to make a map screen. ...I mean, I know there's a Poketch app for that in DPPt, but it's unlocked later, and also, why would you use any Poketch app other than the Dowsing Machine?

Yes! I love this feature! Again, DPPt experimented with something of this ilk, but it also shoved a summary in your face every time you booted up the game. I prefer having the summary be optional. :) To be fair, though, all of the Pokemon stories are less complex than the story of Fossil Fighters.

The curse of academia: no free time. 😔

Bruh, a stegosaurus fossil can pay for a new teacup.

Welcome to the team, Garret! Here's hoping our starter is a stalwart ally in this nuzlocke. :)
Ahh, yeah, we get girl PCs in the next game!! And hey, at least this one has some female supporting characters, even if they ARE implied love interests.

Gosh, yes, that was the best part of SMUSUM for me. There's finally a map..!

Hm, I'll have to grab screenshots of it, then! I often forget that it's there ^^'

I never understood Diggins before, but after seeing the professor whose lab I volunteer in... I get it.

It could, but why sell it when you can use it to throw hands?

Let's hope! Spinax is a reliable Vivosaur, I have high hopes for him.

DV26fEa.png

Let’s jump right back into it, shall we? It’s time to get our Fighter’s License!

xByj78U.png

Hooray, more cleaning that doesn’t net me any new Vivosaurs… ah well, it’ll be good practice.

FvlwM50.png

The Fossil Stadium is the building on the far left of this area. It has a very imposing (?) entrance. Spooky.

GVRHSDd.png

Lq9688c.png

I’ll just skip over this part, though there is one important thing to note about it:

X8xD2b5.png

There’s a robot here! I always forget KL-34N is introduced before an upcoming character. They have a pun name, as all robots (and most characters, come to think of it) do, and are pretty much just here to supervise the cleaning session and be yellow.

lFExzaY.png

SvXS4Fs.png

Oh, right! Did I show off the x-ray function last time? This is what it looks like; it’s also the only action you can take before the timer officially begins (you’ve got a few seconds of countdown where you can press it).

FkB5HZW.png

EmCOI92.png

That went well! Now it’s time for the battle part of our test. But how will we learn?

JT84sZ0.png

This is a pun that went over my head for an embarrassing amount of time.

XNsWTIJ.png

Okay, I’ll take out my rage over the joke through battle. Just gonna kinda… let this tutorial speak for itself. It’s reasonable.

qqK4kpG.png

c5AQCM9.png

PGTaqyd.png

(LP is represented by those blue bars sitting below the Vivosaurs. The color of the gauge indicates the Vivosaur’s type, though types aren’t relevant until the second area, so they can be ignored for the moment.)

PQ2MZUr.png

Lower total LP attacks first. Our team getting the first move is actually going to be something of a rare treat, since I can and will abuse this game’s level curve.

tpwEsyd.png

XOpoe9v.png

Just think of FP like regenerating, team-wide Power Points.

kTefnRE.png

W6dgnes.png

cw6DzhV.png

I got distracted by the animation and didn’t get a shot of Garret’s first ever attack :(((
Anyways, with that, the tutorial is over.

WPH0nY8.png

LOhoMie.png

I’m cutting a few screens, but this part of the game really wants you to know that you’re about to do a Fossil Battle. That’s… that’s the only notable part.

iQlhB8R.png

mxTsBmD.png

bWjH2Sr.png

Woah, would you look at that! Captain Travers showed up again after all! Wow, my prediction was hilariously off base.

KZwsmou.png

This is the formation screen--it shows up at the beginning of each fossil battle and lets you decide on your team, though all those options aren’t available to us right now. Weirdly, even the ‘Ready’ button is dulled out, despite being usable. I wonder if that’s ever confused someone before.
[edit from the future: I eventually figured out that this is an issue with my rom, not the game itself. More on that later.]

32jtnv1.png

As the formation screen showed, our opponent is a Goyle! Goyle is… okay?? But that LP stat sure isn’t.

Oh yeah! From now on, all fossil battles will have two commentators up at the top, narrating what’s happening or giving random tidbits. They’re hilarious, but hard to screenshot (The text automatically scrolls). I’ll do my best.

1AzfPPq.png

9NyMGnk.png

MEBWLsP.png

7O0ASoJ.png

IeYZ7cp.png

ujpAABG.png

NxZaKJy.png

GY36yWo.png

Yeah, I’m probably not doing that again. Anyways, observe my Mad Screenshotting Skillz and how little Garret actually got injured by the Goyle’s headbutt. Told you he was bulky.

P4L3eoK.png

Alright, time to bite back.

4E1hGpd.png

Bnme0rd.png

Mm. Elegant.

EOVzih4.png

Po6thP4.png

Oh hey, I managed to get the special effects on these, so they actually look like real attacks! Nice.

Y0mzwr6.png

TQd7H2B.png

Anyways, that was for the kill.

mtzA9fx.png

38vUC1F.png

HtvXQgi.png

Captain Travers is a good character.

3UjJ7rC.png

esRPFQz.png

In fact, he’s best character, he gave us another catch! Though Garret is technically our starter, I’m counting these legs as another starting Vivosaur. I picked Nychus because it’s available in the second area and is a fire type, which are hard to come by otherwise. Many of the other Vivosaurs I could’ve gotten are either late game or, in T-Rex’s case, ‘like 120,000 monies into postgame.’ I made the right decision here, I hope.

ZV61VWy.png

ENfY4ry.png

xGAHZgi.png

Lzwru2i.png

9S2Keez.png

F9dgtJW.png

And that’s the end of the prologue! Overall, it’s… entirely tutorial. With any luck, later chapters will have more action and less exposition. Next time, we’ll pick up a new Vivosaur and maybe, just maybe, actually get to the first Dig Site. We’ll see!

Garret the Spinax; Rank 1, Air

Master Bryss

zd zd
Badges
Pronouns
he/him
Dex Entry Their body is made of an intricate and interconnected weave of their own puns.
Pronouns
he/him
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky
I feel like the biggest thing we're not talking about here is the implied grumpy professional dino wrestler called Saurhead. I'm guessing they'll show up a bit later on?

Arie Kazami

Trapped in Cycle of Grinding/Farming
Badges
Pronouns
He/They
Dex Entry Just an Ordinary Trainer that doing his Nuzlocke
Pronouns
He/They
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 5, 2019
Nature
Hasty
Oh boy, Fossil fighters! I hope we can see this run until the end! I'm playing the champions ones anyway. I heard Spinax is solid enough to take you until the end of story. too.

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Badges
Pronouns
She/her
Dex Entry "Am I Mario's babysitter? Are you going to call me every time that guy blows his nose, or what?"
Pronouns
She/her
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Good thing my goal as a kid was to be a Pokemon Trainer, not a Fossil Fighter. Far more realistic. 😔 10-year-old me was not good at cleaning.

I picked Nychus because it’s available in the second area and is a fire type, which are hard to come by otherwise.
Rare fire types? Vivosaur Island is Sinnoh confirmed??? 😱

OP
TheTRUEgge

TheTRUEgge

Badges
Pronouns
She/Her
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Just had exams in all my classes over three days but I’m BACK let’s do this.

I feel like the biggest thing we're not talking about here is the implied grumpy professional dino wrestler called Saurhead. I'm guessing they'll show up a bit later on?

To be completely honest, I'm kind of impressed that there isn't a professional wrestler named Saurhead in real life, it seems like something that would have happened by now. Saurhead is... a character. You've gotta love him.
Oh boy, Fossil fighters! I hope we can see this run until the end! I'm playing the champions ones anyway. I heard Spinax is solid enough to take you until the end of story. too.
We'll get there! I hope.
Spinax is lovely, and it has a LOT more bulk that most of the early game dinos. I really like using it!

Good thing my goal as a kid was to be a Pokemon Trainer, not a Fossil Fighter. Far more realistic. 😔 10-year-old me was not good at cleaning.

Rare fire types? Vivosaur Island is Sinnoh confirmed??? 😱
Yeah, Pokemon only made you do stylus games in Ranger!

SJDFSKLGS YEAH APPARENTLY.

hmviQNS.png

Welcome back! Today we begin the first chapter of the game. I have… 310 screenshots. This is going to take a while.

05yCdgk.png

KO3Gepp.png

KuAWdtX.png

fiG8gBn.png

Woo, Diggins is finally going to let us get to the fun part of this game! The Fighter’s Journal is pretty useless, but the sonar and pick are vital. He wants us to practice digging up fossils… time to head to the park area!

ByCjq83.png

It was about at this point that I realized the darkened graphics weren’t just an odd glitch in the tutorial. I’m not really sure why they’re happening, to be honest; thankfully, they don’t affect gameplay at all.

BsJ6eMw.png

Go away you’re creepy.

WntvfMM.png

dVTxbvo.png

Anyways, here we are at the Park Area! This woman’s name went waaay over my head as a kid. I’m still upset that I missed it for so many years. She’s our ticket to the first area of the game, and our first teammate!

tA2sIEO.png

HjmIJxy.png

She explains the sonar, but capturing using it via screenshots is a real trick, so this is probably the only update where you’ll actually see me trying.

PfJud7X.png

There are three rocks here. Let’s see what we get!

xVAy64w.png

Yeah, dupes are an unfortunate reality in this game. Oh well, at least you know that’s what they are from the get-go (...wait, how??? You don’t carry an X Ray around, and even if you did, a lot of fossils use the same model… clearly, Benji is hacking. Eh, he’s had a rough year, I’ll allow it.)

L8mawxp.png

(I’ll almost never need to)

xXZiBJA.png

Oh c’mon, I know the game needs to establish that you can dig up junk, but I want my encounter!!!

gwhYSXW.png

THERE we go.

exLdNJi.png

wshr8Va.png

5chNHX6.png

BHJTIAI.png

And a few more, too, nice! Now it’s time to see what’s in these… if I’m remembering correctly, there’s really only one Vivosaur besides Spinax to be found here.

bmal56n.png

kfaPzYn.png

We’re taking a quick pit stop to appreciate some of the dialogue in this game. It’s top-notch stuff.

9nE7ihz.png

This tree is very obviously 2D (A bit harder to see with the screen alone; just trust me)

q8BYKgL.png

YXc71Q9.png

hgXXEN1.png

Awww yeah, robot friend!! This is KL-33N, his name is a pun, and he mostly just says random stuff when you’re trying to clean fossils. I still love him tho.

iU4SotP.png

He could become more useful down the line...
(Him actually being useful to me will take a lot of grinding that I probably won’t be doing, though)

xxc7fW9.png

fQrj2M7.png

Alright, clean time. The first fossil that doesn’t belong to a Vivosaur I already own is our encounter. You’ll notice that the first rock in our inventory, Nychus Legs, says what it is despite me having never cleaned one before. This is because it was a gift. A few other fossils will fall into this category later, but I doubt I’ll ever be using them. Since I already know what’s in here, I’ll go ahead and push forward to my encounter.

VtoSEfd.png

YFqiFNA.png

Yup, as I suspected. It’s Shanshan.

LcuinQv.png

(Told you)

T4mAG6Y.png

rD8fyED.png

5qsBM8q.png

Heck yeah, she’s beautiful! Her name will be Frill, because those are some lovely head crests she’s got. Compared to Garret, her stats are low, but Shanshan gets a ton of crits, and just having a second team member this early is a great help. I don’t plan to keep her around for long, though; Frill’s defense and HP in particular leave a lot to be desired.

4Rvf6DJ.png

C9WEIOv.png

ESsg6Hk.png

GABxKUk.png

Aaand there go the Nychus legs! (The rest of the fossils I found were all Shanshan heads. Sheesh, I didn’t screw up the first one that badly…)

Avmw25k.png

When the shop actually opens, I’ll be able to sell these…

Nz59bWj.png

2pohkv.jpg

For the record, he just pulled that straight out of his pocket.

MgPjNZh.png

avlqjvg.png

wJ60wI4.png

The VMM will be very important, going forward! It’s the only way to add and remove Vivosaurs from your team. At the moment, we just have the three (Nychus is here to confirm that we have a fossil from it, but we still need the head to use it in battle), but we’ll get more in time.

Also, the icons are dark here, too :(

r2d7MJu.png

Diggins won’t let Benji go to a real dig site, the coward. Oh well, looks like new best character is here. I’ll forgive him.

ENhd0Jy.png

FoPknhk.png

dyVcCqB.png

jIvxZJO.png

Aww yeah, it’s Holt! He’s my favorite because--wait. Wait Holt surely you aren’t gonna--

sZw0HJM.png

AAAAA ANOTHER TUTORIAL. Okay it’s fine Holt is still my friend.

G32Adf5.png

xKOQlVz.png

tkKNAbw.png

eDDIw7C.png

The Escape Zone is for COWARDS, which is why you’ll see me using it frequently.

sreX31E.png

TyRkfkm.png

(also, to move a different Vivosaur into the AZ, you HAVE to shunt one into the EZ… easy… oh god is this yet another pun. aaaaaaaa)

D9X8BgC.png

1W0hbjZ.png

See, Holt is my favorite because he’s nice. Even if he teaches you things you could’ve picked up from context.
(The worst part about Fossil Fighters is that every game had a different battle system, so EVERY GAME HAD A NEW FIGHTING TUTORIAL. And they also all had new cleaning tutorials, but those were much faster.)

wEe9Kur.png

Yup! Fossils Fighters has my second favorite battle engine of the series. It’s easily the simplest one, and that’s okay.

85qGxQp.png

Zef7VnT.png

Fight fight fight fight fight! Also, huh, for some reason this example screen doesn’t have the darkened icons. Weird stuff.

Fx4wzNB.png

ulklHmR.png

Holt has two Vivosaurs we haven’t seen before! Both don’t have much LP, so I doubt they’ll put up much of a fight.

TxMtoXL.png

P5gKNWm.png

wzSV7BO.png

FXWQG2r.png

The worst part about the icons shrouded in eternal darkness is that they make battle screens a bit harder to parse. This mostly means I’ll be taking a lot of screenshots. And hey, look at that, a oneshot! Sure, it was also a crit, but shhhh. Garret could’ve gotten the OHKO no matter what. He’s just that good of a boy.

26c8FZo.png

Taking screenshots is hard. It’s using a claw attack.

kQmtV16.png

It was very scary.

ozfhW1Y.png

(And then Garret OHKO’d it, the end)

GIXsru2.png

We won! Even got some battle points out of the deal, nice.

1AmFXk1.png

W3Fas1u.png

r4gE2wH.png

And that’s that. Goodbye, Holt! See you again soon.

q5BGs44.png

Iq98SaP.png

Hi Diggins. Here to let us go to a real dig site? Pretty please? Benji needs more dinosaurs to ride.

KU05eF3.png

jeAT4by.png

mdT5evm.png

So… I should be digging up your mother’s flower beds, then?

RzRvtAT.png

Talking to Beth pulls up this fun little island map. Let’s head to the Greenhorn Plains--WAIT THAT’S ALSO A PUN BECAUSE GREENHORN MEANS INEXPERIENCED HOW DID I MISS THAT

4ijUFKm.png

F3SPSrI.png

Okay, that aside, let’s just head off. We get more dig sites whenever we advance the plot, more or less.

DtZ6Fx2.png

Here we gooooooo! We’ll see what there is in Greenhorn Plains… next time. Still have 150 screenshots to burn, after all!

Garret: Spinax (Air)
Frill: Shanshan (Air)

Master Bryss

zd zd
Badges
Pronouns
he/him
Pronouns
he/him
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Counting screenshots as a coping mechanism to get you through this already? That's rough.

Good to see we're getting some early game diversity with... two carnivores with big heads?

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Badges
Pronouns
She/her
Pronouns
She/her
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
Congratulations on making it through your exams! Your reward is a cleaning exam- No, being free of the tutorials! :D

xXZiBJA.png

Oh c’mon, I know the game needs to establish that you can dig up junk, but I want my encounter!!!
Animal-Crossing-New-Horizons_Bunny-Day-Day-One3.jpeg

Same (disappointing) energy. 😔

I like that Vivosaurs in the VMM/PC also get experience points. It helps reduce grinding. As I recall, Fossil Fighters doesn't have too many "trainers" to "grind up on."

RzRvtAT.png

Talking to Beth pulls up this fun little island map. Let’s head to the Greenhorn Plains--WAIT THAT’S ALSO A PUN BECAUSE GREENHORN MEANS INEXPERIENCED HOW DID I MISS THAT
puns-puns-everywhere-rkyg32.jpg

OP
TheTRUEgge

TheTRUEgge

Badges
Pronouns
She/Her
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Definitely didn't forget to update this, no sir.

Counting screenshots as a coping mechanism to get you through this already? That's rough.

Good to see we're getting some early game diversity with... two carnivores with big heads?

I just want to get past chapter oneeeeeeeeee

To be fair, there's a fair amount of diversity when we get into the Dig Site proper. How much I'll be able to take advantage of, well...

Congratulations on making it through your exams! Your reward is a cleaning exam- No, being free of the tutorials! :D

Animal-Crossing-New-Horizons_Bunny-Day-Day-One3.jpeg

Same (disappointing) energy. 😔

I like that Vivosaurs in the VMM/PC also get experience points. It helps reduce grinding. As I recall, Fossil Fighters doesn't have too many "trainers" to "grind up on."

puns-puns-everywhere-rkyg32.jpg

Haha, bold of you to assume that you're ever free of tutorials in this game.

Rocks are very rude >:(

They actually don't if they're in the VMM, unforunately--Only the 5 Vivosaurs in your active party will get them. And yeah, Fossil Fighters "trainers" barely give out any exp; the vast majority of your levels come strictly from integrating fossils.

And we’re back! Finally, we can explore the first proper Dig Site!

c9qPMxt.png

zKAANH4.png

Holt is here to give us some advice! It’s kind of weird that he says this now, because you won’t actually be challenged for fossil rocks until the next area.

g9VxL8o.png

13hkvto.png

Okay, HERE’S something that’s actually applicable to this area, and important! There isn’t a shop open (yet) but we will need money to buy a vital item in the next chapter. Assuming we make it that far.

yUg9K8w.png

Game lemme fight best character again… nope, he’s already gone. Oh well! This just means we can get our encounter for this area.

nuRuSfU.png

In my heart I want Goyle, but the more practical side of me would really appreciate a V-Raptor…

3of62b3.png

Today in “Benji hiding behind things”

QyVC65s.png

1KWXVAQ.png

Aw dang, I’ve already filled up the fossil case. I’ll probably be back and forth through this area a couple of times; Garret and Frill can both get body fossils here, and I would really appreciate those for the added levels.

TRpNwAg.png

Orange VMMs have warping powers. Don’t ask why.

2COqqLN.png

XbIDy0n.png

Because I started replacing fossils I’d already cleaned, the fossil I’m hovering over here is our true first encounter. Let’s see what it is!
tNQIEa2.png

4sejuYa.png

Yuuup, that’s a V-Raptor.

febboqy.png

qZaL41E.png

UoYHzAB.png

At the moment, V-Raptor is… kind of bad. It becomes good once we integrate more fossils, but keeping it alive until then shall be… fun.

I’m naming this V-Raptor… Tox. It just has those vibes, see (Per the 100 days comics server, thanks Spacey!)

pCZcxsl.png

Okay, next fossil time. It’s a Spinax body. Let’s do this.

BxN6yRu.png

Hnn, that could’ve gone better… Garret will still get a rank out of it, at least.

mS3Ma54.png

GzwFo7N.png

lpHPdHZ.png

He also gets a new move! Spinax Combo is expensive, but it’s good against bulkier enemies.

gM5CjP7.png

Okay, this one is… V-Raptor body, I believe?

6cYzNfV.png

4oCzO5d.png

Yup! And would you look at that, it’s the first perfect fossil cleaning of the run! May I have many, many more.

l5GxCPV.png

You rank up every 50 fossil/battle points, which means that perfectly cleaned fossils will always shoot you up 2 ranks. It’s nice.

iEAF3wH.png

Also, cheap poison skill!

SbJkn2j.png

Okay, I know for a fact that these two fossils right here are Goyle skulls. Goyle is one of the other Vivosaurs Benji could’ve dug up, but he didn’t grab it first, so I’m just gonna…

C1sZlsK.png

Yes, KL-33N, I know.

08ndvAT.png

gM1Wkiq.png

Tox is here now! Back to the fossil grind, Frill still needs a body fossil.

pzpUM78.png

ExTDB2J.png

I couldn’t find one in the main bit of Greenhorn Plains, but this guy is guarding the area in the back… it seems important. Maybe we can find Shanshan bodies back here?

Cb6Hb0I.png

pN5Lb12.png

tzSdlsk.png

Weird, but this is fine, nobody has actually challenged us to a battle yet anyways.

7V42TDr.png

Oh, would you look at that, I actually attempted to capture the radar pings! Now let’s see what’s under these enigmatic dots…

Y6TXxvC.png

KqRb8bp.png

Wonderful. Just what I wanted.

b60FAvv.png

Yjh1TeW.png

Also, there’s this girl here. I’m sure she won’t be important later.

I wonder if anyone else is having rotten luck…

AhDRos8.png

efBZJbz.png

2on0xzW.png

Hm. If it was a rubber boot, it might’ve been part dinosaur at some point… but there’s clearly something fishy going on here. There’s nothing in here that’s worth it, so let’s just grab our Dino Medals from that guy and go.

aQMrAyK.png

Vb5ZRa8.png

So, uh. The guy’s not here.

8W7tbJP.png

Lcctf5B.png

WMaWhKp.png

Dang, looks like we’ve been scammed! Luckily he seemed to have dropped Benji’s medals…

ivW8TRR.png

xRfWAuS.png

xa9VKE3.png

Hey, I know for a FACT that my Vivosaurs are strong! Just look at them! I have a Velociraptor on my team!! Granted, I haven’t used him yet, but

HJ4eIZi.png

d6VcL74.png

Stolen medals or no, we should probably investigate the shady employee. Off to the Fossil Center we go!

YJWjMdE.png

WCpZuIZ.png

SNi8ETS.png

… Uh.

6GG4NzX.png

ivufJvh.png

Okay, sure, I guess they should know that there’s a thief about..?

5TEqIPC.png

Haha, just kidding, I have fossils to clean.

WRc5xHS.png

Also a couple to destroy. For fun.

u0569vv.png

Oh right, I forgot you can just quit immediately. Less fun, but also much faster.

VIXKjuT.png

Sigh, Shanshan bodies continue to elude Benji, so I GUESS we can advance the plot.

UtWEyNq.png

GVh1P2R.png

a547Oep.png

Bro. Bro why you gotta be like that.

(Fossil Fighters really did just say ACAB huh)

S8sudmQ.png

Kk0Heqh.png

CBnbXky.png

Rosie, you don’t need to take the casual sexism. At least Bullwort is willing to help us now...

T8qcnnQ.png

XZ0oogH.png

oa3AjSV.png

R5ejjIt.png

“After all, you just described every male staff member at the Fossil Center.”

dIoFXhB.png

Qn3ci1a.png

rmaPRG8.png

Finally, a name! And sure, I guess we can go sleuthing, as long as you don’t mind me going back to Greenhorn Plains every ten seconds to find Frill a torso.

xyt53h0.png

hQDRoOT.png

pRUiZ1U.png

QggZqdK.png

Surely it can’t be that easy… right? A lead’s a lead, though.

lvH9RHC.png

Wait, you can just DO that????

J23bHce.png

r9Uu998.png

Apparently you can. I don’t think this is ever possible again, so enjoy it while it lasts.

1TZjO3y.png

fJroqBE.png

Who is this mysterious thief???? Can Benji trounce them? Find out… next time. Maybe we’ll actually finish the chapter!

Garret: Spinax, Air
Frill: Shanshan, Air
Tox: V-Raptor, Air

Bowser's Family Vacation

Johto League Champion
Badges
Pronouns
She/her
Pronouns
She/her
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Rash
zKAANH4.png

Holt is here to give us some advice! It’s kind of weird that he says this now, because you won’t actually be challenged for fossil rocks until the next area.
I wonder: Does another Fighter trying for a Fossil rock guarantee that it's good? 🤔 Or is it just random?

UoYHzAB.png

At the moment, V-Raptor is… kind of bad. It becomes good once we integrate more fossils, but keeping it alive until then shall be… fun.
Like one of Unova's (many) late evolutions?
9b9e3358561938fbfaa526623bf881e5.gif

Hopefully, this is Tox marching into success!

This dude doesn't have a pun name. He's looking kinda sus ngl.
sus-hayward.png

This game holds no punches, eh?
200.gif

Wait, if you can't just enter a battle, when do you Fossil Battle..?

Master Bryss

zd zd
Badges
Pronouns
he/him
Pronouns
he/him
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky

I just wanted to highlight how much this message encapsulates my, and I suspect many others', approach to independent living.

OP
TheTRUEgge

TheTRUEgge

Badges
Pronouns
She/Her
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
'Procrastinating on studying by doing forum stuff' is an oddly common theme around here, I've noticed.

I wonder: Does another Fighter trying for a Fossil rock guarantee that it's good? 🤔 Or is it just random?

Like one of Unova's (many) late evolutions?
9b9e3358561938fbfaa526623bf881e5.gif

Hopefully, this is Tox marching into success!

This dude doesn't have a pun name. He's looking kinda sus ngl.
sus-hayward.png

This game holds no punches, eh?
200.gif

Wait, if you can't just enter a battle, when do you Fossil Battle..?
It does! When a fighter challenges you, the rock is always either a jewel rock or a red fossil. I'm sure I'll get a few of both later.

yeahhh, a lot of Vivosaurs are kinda bad at low ranks. They have no bulk...

you're right. If they don't have a pun name, they're automatically unimportant or hiding their true identity.

Fossil battles happen during level-up fights and randomly out in the field. I think this implies that you COULD do fights in the stadium if you wanted to, but you're never given the option again so I have no idea.

I just wanted to highlight how much this message encapsulates my, and I suspect many others', approach to independent living.
It's so accurate that it hurts...

Alright, let’s kick some butt!

VABo49g.png

Oh ho ho, another Spinax? Well, nothing Garret can’t handle.

Also, I didn’t capture it before the battle, but this man’s name is P.B. Jay. Maybe he was drawn to being a criminal after his parents gave him such an awful pun of a name.

78G5AhG.png

Unfortunately for P.B. Jay, my Spinax is BETTER.

W7ISG2l.png

WMFdBsr.png

0GqPmy6.png

P.B. got the first attack, and his V-Raptor scored a critical hit! Crit rates are tied to mobility I… think? But some Vivosaurs just have a naturally high crit rate (There’s a later Vivosaur with a 100% crit rate whose drawback is its utterly atrocious accuracy).

I would say this attack was a problem for me, but Garret slurped it right up. It hardly even fazed him.

5zomEs1.png

Now, Garret… kill.

64mxll6.png

So close..!

x3qS5Jw.png

V-Raptor’s non crits are even worse. This is why you don’t use V-Raptor until you get more skills than this one.

wG7244r.png

Their only benefit? They are very, very cheap. This allows P.B. to launch another attack, using his own Spinax. Vivosaurs in the support zones can only attack the opponent’s attack zone, which means Garret is taking quite a beating. He’s fine, though.

dX6kqB8.png

YFOAKgu.png

Haha, two can play at the ‘using cheap attacks from the support zone to deal extra damage’ game!! I’m better at it, though, since I actually beat his vivosaur. Now, with the help of Garret…

u3YV6yB.png

GpSqlqM.png

We can get P.B.’s Spinax to just about half.

If you’re wondering why he suddenly has so much FP, that’s because you gain some when you lose a Vivosaur, by the way. Hopefully it won’t happen to us.

Q5vwavC.png

Haha, Garret still has over half. And now that it’s our turn…

HYlNByN.png

Aw yeah, that was for the kill.
(You can tell because of the pose the Spinax takes after the attack; it’s different if you KO them or get a crit)

With that win, our Vivosaurs get some Fossil Points!!

XAMbcNp.png

fLYB5Mq.png

In fact, it’s enough for Frill and Tox to both rank up! They both get some added stats, but nothing else, really.

Haha, my screenshots are excellent.

BzKj6vy.png

Benji won a fossil battle! Good job, Benji. Now, let’s go deal with P.B.

pKSnGNJ.png

xkortTj.png

Y10tUQX.png

Qi5qDIh.png

Whaaaa????? Could P.B. not be our real thief?!?!?!?!?!?
(the answer is obviously yes, since he doesn’t have a pun name relating to thieving)

HeALEyc.png

X1sgUyG.png

FnbVqh5.png

Ah, our real target emerges…

B1pjQoy.png

3rTNLd2.png

Guess we’ll be heading there to find this guy! But first, there’s the issue of these Dino Medals.

96CoNHA.png

jE5ocbx.png

p31P7Pr.png

A happy ending. Alright, off we go.

0hyN5iY.png

iXraK6y.png

The Fossil Guild will be very important once a certain service opens! Until then, I guess we go here to get plot tips.

qhP2clL.png

mdoodMa.png

It’s a good thing Medal-Dealer Joe is in Greenhorn Plains, seeing as that’s the only Dig Site Rosie and I actually have access to.

NaPVBrg.png

VUTM5pi.png

A8bnj4Q.png

Ah yes, here he is. You can tell he’s the big bad because his name can easily be turned against him.

B0e21oS.png

He… he spun around in a puff of smoke… and put on a wig and jumpsuit…

iBl1inn.png

SIR YOU JUST HAD A MAGICAL GIRL TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE THERE IS NO WAY YOU AREN’T THE BIG BAD.

JPDDgsI.png

BRDdwBE.png

nVvHg9L.png

Okay, I’ve seen the medals he has, and you could honestly probably beat them with the V-Raptor and Spinax. But eh, Benji can handle this.

9eSSZPi.png

… Rosie, where did you get a Merta? The shop’s not open yet, and they don’t appear in this Dig Site…

CzfARNW.png

You know what, nevermind. Merta can be scary, but these early-game opponents have a bad habit of sticking their good fighters in the SZ, where they’re less of a threat.

tDMdkRb.png

4GLLkrB.png

Dg1c6pz.png

Case in point.

p28x5hB.png

He’s going to try and chip, commentator. I’m going to try and WIN.

tTx5wc2.png

Annoying. At least his attacks are still…

zQlCN2G.png

… yeah. Like that.

j9YYKNf.png

Oh ho ho???? Strategy!! How bold of you, Medal-Stealer Joe. I’m sure this won’t cause my Vivosaurs any trouble, though--

A2802TM.png

OKAY. OW.

PFuQont.png

Still at just over half health, haha.

tku3spg.png

kKDEIxC.png

t7cPVRh.png

Anyways, I’ll just do a bunch of damage to beat it and… that didn’t kill. What do you mean that didn’t kill.

jgmKMoR.png

OH C’MON

wuYfr1M.png

It’s fine this is fine, Merta really shouldn’t have attacked Garret, especially since…

7qgQA04.png

ornK44f.png

Auto Counter. Definitely planned this.

uj032Y1.png

xP8EIkq.png

kycjd1h.png

Oof ouch my bones. Definitely going to need to bench Garret soon.

lFTfQ5h.png

But first, he is going to perform murder.

QtxjO2B.png

Okay anyways. Let’s beat up a child.

JfolU4S.png

zdwtSXj.png

GZB7tAk.png

Aaand done! That was almost threatening, wow!

cyOKv3J.png

Haha. Yeah.

5L7C99D.png

1EfBpez.png

xryqORL.png

HKHV3NT.png

I like that this sequence of screenshots implies that the cops just manifested. There is a nonzero chance that they might have.

5LluBAw.png

Sir, please do your actual job next time.

lZFmgRx.png

ybrYmlh.png

8XP4bXg.png

UPkQ2F0.png

pWJeYtM.png

Oh right, those! If it means I get a chance at a new friend, I am definitely in.

T7dwMsc.png

MaV4sXP.png

YyNbkaG.png

Fireworkssss! Since the level-up battle isn’t going anywhere, there’s just one more thing I’d like to get done…

kyoP1kn.png

lWYSfq8.png

2fcjsCs.png

9TlC9Da.png

FINALLY.

LsXmFJw.png

0YYjIZq.png

Vivosaurs get new moves when they get new body parts! That’s why I was so keen on getting Frill her ribcage.

jgsXGkr.png

Okay, NOW I’ll do it.

F3vTnoe.png

JeiTwRb.png

best2jl.png

TtiWCTa.png

I’m not convinced these will ever be difficult.

PuaXYZZ.png

YBv5bc9.png

WccGFMK.png

Oji1BeK.png

These, though…

g59RELt.png

DvroM1C.png

yuCPnb1.png

4XJOLcC.png

Hello, Wendy! I like that, as far as I can recall, every level master is an NPC you’ve encountered over the course of the chapter. It’s a fun touch.

p09y11D.png

Gasp. Her Vivosaur is… Rank 2.

NjjeAok.png

kFeDWTw.png

Still not very threatening, especially since…

mEVKosD.png

… Garret can do over half their health.

ZmfQEvJ.png

nsmFNrW.png

He’s taken a real beating, though… swapping will have to happen soon.

YNMbz9X.png

Wendy swapped out her V-Raptor, now I can’t kill it >:( how rude.

OoNo3di.png

THE COMMENTATORS GOT ME AGAIN.

oe8WzYH.png

6Q2gTVq.png

B)

SoTqRPc.png

Remember when I said I should swap? Me either.

2EV5WVO.png

bkW546l.png

It’s fine Garret got an OHKO.

fpUVsem.png

Okay, fine, NOW I’ll swap.

WWl1jKp.png

3hl0rwp.png

Wendy’s earlier swap just delayed the inevitable, really.

Fs3hpUu.png

SDWd9YM.png

RcvmEB5.png

aEnyT10.png

Awww yeah!

CqkZISR.png

ljQIhq5.png

2lIABUa.png

Ma’am I have yet to fail catastrophically and so I refuse to read.

ur93GBL.png

XNPsrmD.png

dxgMVsn.png

Oh, I guess Rosie could benefit from the books? Maybe?

p6WdAh6.png

orLIe2w.png

Why is that name so familiar..?

fQ76YZY.png

thpIew2.png

RqjAWc6.png

OH RIGHT, HE OWNS THE ENTIRE ISLAND. I guess that explains why Rosie had such rare Vivosaurs…

That does it for chapter 1! Next time, we’ll start tackling Chapter 2, the one that stymied myself and countless other children. See you then!

Garret: Spinax, Air. Rank 3
Frill: Shanshan, Air. Rank 3
Tox: V-Raptor, Air. Rank 3

Master Bryss

zd zd
Badges
Pronouns
he/him
Pronouns
he/him
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 16, 2019
Nature
Quirky
Do... do the commentators just emerge from any nearby bush at the slightest sniff of a battle like Mister Referee from Medabots?

I sincerely hope that "eyes like a lambeosaurus" is a recurring thing that applies to literally everybody and means "I sincerely have no idea what the person's eyes looked like when they were alive but feel like I have to say something."

OP
TheTRUEgge

TheTRUEgge

Badges
Pronouns
She/Her
Pronouns
She/Her
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Alright, time for Chapter 2! This one is gonna be fun.

Do... do the commentators just emerge from any nearby bush at the slightest sniff of a battle like Mister Referee from Medabots?

I sincerely hope that "eyes like a lambeosaurus" is a recurring thing that applies to literally everybody and means "I sincerely have no idea what the person's eyes looked like when they were alive but feel like I have to say something."

That's all I can think. They show up in EVERY battle, which gets very funny later on.

I wish it was... alas, apparently only this one specific guy has eyes like a Lambeosaurus. Must be quite distinctive.

Last time, we finished off Chapter 1! Now it’s time for a new Dig Site and some new plot.

pWdeA3S.png

I may have taken the screenshot a hair too late. EH. But before we get going, some housekeeping.

dBIeqiY.png

eG3wPMz.png

ewjei5r.png

knevjf6.png

Benji did a thing, and now he’s in the paper! This will be a running theme.

PtgwfgV.png

Hi Beth, I’m BACK.

WIBPTqY.png

7GcV3YN.png

4ee4jHi.png

qfwMgzh.png

Hmm, sounds like we’ll be encountering some new characters at this Dig Site…

bbyy8nc.png

You’re not new.

4VQKdOK.png

yWShNdb.png

Ha4aGcA.png

VmemaRx.png

He did tell us that the shop is open, though! Thank you, Holt, this is really good info. Now I can finally divulge a bit of my “Destroy Fossil Fighters” scheme. Getting both Fossil Chips ASAP will essentially allow us to have a 4-rank gap between us and our opponents, which can be vital for avoiding deaths. The only problem with this master strategy is that the Fossil Chips are super expensive. Benji will have to save all the money he can. Those jewels that Holt mentioned will make this process ever-so-slightly less tedious.

bd4kp2N.png

zZKsAnf.png

Oh, speaking of. Jewel Rocks will always lead to a fossil battle. Luckily, I don’t remember the NPCs in this game being very threatening…

fJ34RXS.png

I WAS WRONG, sheesh game I haven’t even gotten my encounter yet, calm down. This Vivosaur is an Earth Type. Earth is strong against Air, which is what my entire team is. I’m going to have… fun with this.

gwricuM.png

6eIbori.png

VIfOTqL.png

… Okay, nevermind, I guess that just the V-Raptor wants to attack. I’m fine with this. It’s going to take a few turns to down this Ourano, though.

[The next turn]

YXfu0dn.png

OOF OUCH MY BONES. Yeah this is why I don’t like Earth types, that’s nearly half of Garret’s health--

ZPAUIak.png

Is2S5pn.png

fI3dPaY.png

Anyways it’s dead now, and the V-Raptor put up exactly zero resistance. Time to find a catch!

zBmTXeM.png

Aha! Here we…

kho24ij.png

… go? Oh, right, some fossil rocks do lead to fossil battles. I believe that means this is guaranteed to be rare quality, which is pretty nice! Just have to hope this guy doesn’t have any earth types--

lsStrsI.png

OH COME ON. Pachy scares me. It’s one of those Vivosaurs that gets WAY too many crits. I want ten.

NgKpPBt.png

Q8p4GA9.png

Yeah, uh, it did THAT turn 1. If I don’t get a crit on my next turn, I don’t even think I’ll be able to down it… please don’t aim for Frill again…

jlXG2B1.png

MrrqVe6.png

Nooooo!! Poor Frill… if we had actually gotten our encounter, this could have been prevented. Darn bad luck.

uR3lyC0.png

Okay, Pachy can’t cause us any more damage… time to box Frill, I guess…

tyEEwCh.png

gcsRecL.png

There aren’t any VMMs in the Knotwood Forest, so I went back to the city briefly. But now I’ve returned.

3udk1SB.png

gd41Y3Y.png

l4NJKMv.png

WjyL3mz.png

Hb6FRlQ.png

1fkbWrd.png

WeUhKoM.png

Oh, and I also accidentally ran into some plot. Rosie wants to go see her grandpa about getting into the back area of the Dig Site, but I really just want to see what my encounter was..!

jE87DXy.png

37kiKfY.png

ktQgJon.png

DRmkXUD.png

If you can get him to focus on your question for more than five minutes, anyways… the poor guy has like two dozens projects going at any one time. just like me

ATm47HQ.png

AO1KJ3A.png

thmYUcS.png

Wh-hey! Richmond is trying to give a stealth shop tutorial!! How rude!

0JRWNh8.png

No. We’re cleaning fossils and that’s FINAL.

zVxansz.png

Vx9eyIL.png

I don’t care about donation lady I will NEVER save up enough points to actually use her. Moving on.

tXwUMlO.png

A decent haul today! The first fossil rock is a jewel rock, so the one I’m hovering over now is my first encounter.

gCsM7dK.png

Red fossils are rare! If the cleaning of them is successful, these fossil rocks get a 25 point bonus, which is HUGE. It’ll be very nice for our purposes especially.

M0zJ848.png

0stsJ9T.png

clK1Czq.png

So close to being perfect… and oh! Oh, it’s another Nychus part. Since we already have Nychus legs, this isn’t our first encounter! The reason I chose Nychus as Benji’s starter is because it appears in Knotwood Forest… once we can scrounge up a head, it’ll be a powerful ally.

Nygv4Lp.png

arWSmAL.png

Okay, this one is our encounter! Looks like… an S-Raptor or a Venator. I would prefer Venator, but I’m pretty sure it’s much more rare.

DojEVUJ.png

DJEESJX.png

i7uwUAk.png

I was right! S-Raptor is a fire-type, and is pretty reliable, if a bit boring. Her name shall be… Star! It just has good vibes.

XhAapwx.png

KchkQal.png

Gotta be honest, I’m more excited about the type coverage Star provides than anything else. She’s essentially a fire-type Spinax.

msatOi2.png

ax0uM5K.png

The next fossil WOULD be Venator. Can’t use this, it wasn’t the first encounter.

ToROsp9.png

Gwf4P6Z.png

Okay, now the Venators are just taunting me.

… have I not mentioned what Venator is? It’s an Earth-Type, and is very reliable and strong. I would’ve loved to use one.

UomqrGk.png

i threw it on the GROUND

rJF8wDA.png

Anyways, pearl time. Cleaning this will net a fair bit of gold.

3XZlql0.png

Oh c’mon, I haven’t gotten less than a perfect on these since I was seven!!

lu3zOsA.png

Okay, time to go back. I just want a Nychus head, dangit! And an S-Raptor body for Star.

Jq0yOPo.png

9QAenia.png

It was at this moment that I remembered Vivosaurs have to be manually added to your active team.

hGUSWQ5.png

(I quickly corrected my error)

P57GuO3.png

SeIIKAs.png

Another Venator head? Rude.

SdI2cx4.png

JDtIUbY.png

yFaxlzt.png

kx4exmJ.png

6Rf3VTW.png

I can only assume that Dino Cakes are the twinkies of the Fossil Fighters universe. But anyways, Benji is now ⅕ of the way to the first fossil chip!

Om0RKy3.png

hTF1uw7.png

There are more fossils in the back of Knotwood Forest than there are in the front, so I’m just going to take a moment to advance the plot.

uNsoiHC.png

jZP0QE3.png

I8G6H62.png

2ZqU9cu.png

arhmkdK.png

Hm, that’s ominous… I’m sure there’s nothing nefarious going on back there at all, no.

VBGUteR.png

uipxXAd.png

Sometimes the highlighted red text is a little on the nose. It’s very funny.

Mzh2sAW.png

QEPx4tR.png

QyyOxNO.png

bJs0L9t.png

As I said…

HDwQkCU.png

rhxYRvY.png

Iv9YjI8.png

As a kid, I never really understood why Diggins was so enamoured by Dino Cakes, but… I get it now. Sugar cravings…

Cj08QRE.png

Zh98u5f.png

o2CDl98.png

Rosie is RUTHLESS. This is great.

BBKoUML.png

J0wvlEV.png

lUWGnSI.png

pwZtgZj.png

aBTuuKg.png

IMpEakO.png

Narrator: They did not stay out of trouble.

Quest item obtained! Now it’s time to get our Nychus… please game.

What if you
Wanted to get a Nychus head
But Fossil Fighters said
iShMC08.png

RlcDHFP.png

JIJWiuG.png

PYFUKVt.png

6ejbk9i.png

Not right now sir I have FOSSILS TO CLEAN.

oh5vIs1.png

Surely this is a Nychus head… right?

VcvD8OH.png

Finally…

GmRHSt2.png

A rare look at my fossils mid-clean. So dusty.

rpVXXLh.png

tvTv55I.png

a1K475k.png

X6VHgzN.png

KQ7zstP.png

MWAHAHAHAHAHA

Nychus is really good, and this Nychus is extremely really good! Look at that rank! Check out those attacks! The only downside is that his attacks are pretty expensive at our current level, but that will change before too long. Now… I think I’ll be naming this Nychus Firework. He’s gonna be loud and awe-inspiring.

ahjMQ7j.png

I remembered to add him to the team! Character growth.

Q2kQogx.png

Okay, now I’m ready to go… next time. See you then!

Active:
Garret, Spinax, Air
Tox, V-Raptor, Air
Star, S-Raptor, Fire
Firework, Nychus, Fire

Dead:
Frill, Shanshan, Air

LittleMercury

Adept
Pronouns
He/They
Dex Entry A very small trash boy last seen clawing themself out of the gender dumpster.
Pronouns
He/They
Pokédex No.
Caught
Oct 22, 2019
Nature
Timid
Nooooo, poor Frill! She was so cute!

I have to admit this Nuzlocke is really making me look at the Fossil Fighters series again. I always skipped over them because Pokemon Nerd, but this looks very cute and light-hearted and punny. I think we could all use more of those.

DestinyDragonGS

DRAGON INSTALL!!!!
Pronouns
Unspecified
Dex Entry This Pokemon is very relaxed and enjoys analyzing things. This Pokemon is also quick to snark at anything that gives it an opportunity
Pronouns
Unspecified
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 9, 2019
Nature
Relaxed
So I've been reading this for a while and yeah this game's pretty interesting. I recently watched the RPG Monger's video on this series and I can't wait for how you're gonna handle the late game.

Also RIP Frill

Users who are viewing this thread