• Want to support a good cause? Visit https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/ to see how you can help the Black Lives Matter movement, even without donating.
  • New here and still figuring out the site? Check out the New User Guide and FAQ for some help!
  • 🎊🎊🎊 Happy Nuzyear! The promotional period for the 11th annual Nuzlocke Forums Extravaganza has begun. Go shout from the rooftops about your favorite runs!
  • Trying to figure out how the different forums have changed? This thread is the place for you.
  • One of our new features includes receiving a message on Discord when you have alerts. Find out how, here!
  • Have you seen our Stream tab? It let's you peek in and chat with our forum streamers on-site, from both Twitch AND Picarto! You can even view multiple streams at once. You can submit your own channel via Streams > Submit Channel.
  • If you're a fan of giving and recieving constructive criticism check out this resource about Critique Level Tags!

Ruleset Forcing You to Use Pokémon You've Never Used Before (Newlocke?)

Thread Description
complete with a Google Doc for tracking Pokémon you've already used

Arowana

planning, planning, planning
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 15, 2021
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon likes to follow their whims wherever they may take them.
You know how one of the best things about doing Nuzlockes is getting to use Pokémon that you would've never appreciated before? I personally quite like that, since I like each run to be a new experience for me. I prefer being able to try out the newer Pokémon as much as possible.

But from my experience, it gets harder for Nuzlockes to do that in newer games whenever they add new Pokémon and new Pokémon forms. There are 900+ Pokémon now and honestly, Game Freak's not the best at balancing which Pokémon should be repeated. Did you know that over half of the regions apparently contain Wingull? Or that the first encounter in Kalos's Route 2 is always a Pidgey? It's not even allowed to be a Shiny Pidgey. Don't get me wrong, I love Pelipper and it was a saving grace in my Alpha Sapphire run, but god. Imagine using Wingull in five different Nuzlocke runs. Couldn't be me.

In any case, in case there's anyone else who feels the same way I do, I'm wondering if there's a term for a special ruleset that explicitly bans either old Pokémon or Pokémon you've used before. Kinda like a Dupes Clause but more restrictive/encompassing? I personally am calling it a Newlocke for now. I used the term "Kaloslocke" when I did something similar in my X Nuzlocke, but I wanted a term that's more universal.

If you want to keep track of which Pokemon you've used before, here's a Google Doc I personally made that contains all the evolution lines (some spoilers on the revealed Pokémon for PLA). Just use the "Make a Copy" function of Google Docs for your personal use. The Google Doc uses the Checklist function so that you can just tick off a whole evolution line. It also divides the evolution lines depending on the branches; say you used an Espeon but not any of the other eeveelutions, then you can just check off Espeon's branch. Here's my personal checklist if you want an example.

Just saying that this ruleset can be modified to your liking. You can check off the Pokémon you've used in non-Nuzlocke runs or not check Pokémon that were in your Nuzlocke runs but died before they could be used to their full potential. Whatever you'd like. There's a certain point when it stops being a special ruleset/clause for your Nuzlocke and starts being a run where you choose whoever's on your team, but even if you do reach that point, I won't judge :P It's your run and you should do whatever is the most fun for you, haha!

TL;DR: Is there a special term for a ruleset/clause that disallows Pokémon you've used before in Nuzlocke runs which I am calling a "newlocke" for now

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jul 1, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pokémon Type
  1. Dark
  2. Dragon
I've actually been doing a very very long series of undocumented Nuzlockes with this exact mindset. Each time I beat the game, the 6 families that make up my team I can't use again (with exceptions listed below), regardless of whether or not they survived, and going through each generation in order. It started off as just a fun thing when I hopped from Gen I to II, but I just kept going in the hope that someday I'd use them all.

One important rule I use is, it's based on the highest form my Pokemon take. For example, if I used a Rhydon in Red, I'd still have to use Rhyperior in Gen IV or later for it to count completely. Mega Evolutions are counted as the highest evolution (As an example, I had a Charizard in Blue but that meant I still had to use Mega Charizard X and Y). Meanwhile, non-changeable forms like the Lycanroc and Wormadam forms were separate while changeable ones like the Rotom forms and Zygarde forms counted as the base Pokemon. I didn't count G-Max separately either because it is a temporary form within battle.

I don't have a specific name for this rule, though. I just refer to this as my FE Nuzlocke, since my name theme is Fire Emblem characters (And classes because I've run out of female names). This basically only applies to the four google docs I have (Male names, Female names, Used Families+Usable Families in each Gen, and Dex Completion). Newlocke seems like a good enough name. Alternatively, it could be Generational Dupes Clause.

I started when Gen I came out on Virtual Console but I picked up a lot of steam in 2018 and have gone through the generations multiple times. I'm down to 30 families I have yet to use up to the Crown Tundra. All of which are Gen 8 exclusive (Galarian forms and Gen 8 Pokemon), meaning that I'm repeatedly playing Sword and Shield at this point. It has been an incredibly fun journey that I'm tempted to do again when I'm done.

SprungGeoduck

Conqueror of the Azalea Gym
Team Alpha
Pokédex No.
Caught
Jun 21, 2019
Nature
Timid
Pronouns
She/her
Pokémon Type
  1. Electric
  2. Beautiful
I've always enjoyed keeping track of lines I've used in Nuzlockes, although I don't do a ton of runs like some folks out there. Based on the documentation I have, my current ban list would stand at 95 out of 406 lines (not counting variants (although I don't think I've ever had one of those on a final team, only done one Alola run and never finished a Galar run) or legendaries). Some of these I have used for a long time in a run but didn't actually bring to the end - I still count them.

1. Alakazam
  2. Altaria
  3. Amoonguss
  4. Ampharos
  5. Arcanine
  6. Archeops
  7. Armaldo
  8. Audino
  9. Banette
  10. Bastiodon
  11. Beautifly
  12. Beheeyem
  13. Camerupt
  14. Chandelure
  15. Charizard
  16. Cinccino
  17. Cinderace
  18. Clefable
  19. Corviknight
  20. Crobat
  21. Crustle
  22. Darmanitan
  23. Delphox
  24. Donphan
  25. Drapion
  26. Dugtrio
  27. Dustox
  28. Electrode
  29. Escavalier
  30. Excadrill
  31. Exploud
  32. Fearow
  33. Feraligatr
  34. Forretress
  35. Gardevoir
  36. Gastrodon
  37. Gengar
  38. Golem
  39. Goodra
  40. Granbull
  41. Grimmsnarl
  42. Grumpig
  43. Gyarados
  44. Heliolisk
  45. Heracross
  46. Hitmonlee
  47. Honchkrow
  48. Hypno
  49. Incineroar
  50. Jellicent
  51. Jumpluff
  52. Krookodile
  53. Leafeon
  54. Lopunny
  55. Lucario
  56. Ludicolo
  57. Luxray
  58. Magnezone
  59. Manectric
  60. Meganium
  61. Mienshao
  62. Milotic
  63. Nidoking
  64. Nidoqueen
  65. Pangoro
  66. Parasect
  67. Pelipper
  68. Pidgeot
  69. Poiltoed
  70. Porygon-Z
  71. Primeape
  72. Raticate
  73. Roserade
  74. Samurott
  75. Seismitoad
  76. Simipour
  77. Simisage
  78. Skuntank
  79. Slowking
  80. Staraptor
  81. Starmie
  82. Swalot
  83. Swellow
  84. Tentacruel
  85. Toxicroak
  86. Typhlosion
  87. Umbreon
  88. Vanilluxe
  89. Vaporeon
  90. Venusaur
  91. Vespiquen
  92. Vileplume
  93. Weezing
  94. Whimsicott
  95. Wormadam

Maybe I'll do something with this knowledge. I'm not sure.

King Smorgascake

Conqueror of the Saffron Gym
Pokédex No.
Caught
Aug 3, 2021
Nature
Bold
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Poison
Pokédex Entry
Not really, but I haven't actually done a great many Nuzlockes. Although in my ongoing Emerald run, I did decide after I'd already started to insert a 'Zubat' clause. As the name suggests, it means that I can ignore Zubat as my first encounter simply because I'm really sick of this thing. Yes, Crobat's good, and no I wouldn't normally do it, but Hoenn surprising only has three caves before Victory Road - Granite Cave, Meteor Falls, and Shoal Cave (or something) - all of which have pretty cool area-exclusive pokemon that I'd like to use maybe once in a run rather than another f***ing Zubat, which is just going in the box anyway.

Ironically, I didn't have to apply in Granite Cave or Meteor Falls in the end (not yet reached Shoal Cave).

Another line I've been tempted to do it for is Geodude, but I've noticed in none of the games I've played is it really blocking you from using other things, unless you're not using Dupes Clause. I mean, Kanto is sorely lacking pokemon variety across the majority of its roots. In Johto, Geodude is a broken early-game cheat code if your other early catches sucked (very possible). Hoenn has it on numerous routes, but it doesn't really get in the way of the numerous region-exclusive Rock-types and Ground-types (Claydol, Solrock, Camerupt, Flygon etc.). Sinnoh is a good region for Rock/Ground-types and Geodude is very widespread anyway, meaning you can either abuse Dupes Clause or simply catch a replacement in the event one dies to a random Water or Grass coverage move. Kalos and whatever...not played them, or anything beyond 4th Gen, actually.

But in the sense of 'forcing' myself to use new pokemon, I do generally try to use different pokemon if I Nuzlocke the same game again, mainly for the sake of variety.

Chess

birds can't hurt me these shades are gucci
Globetrotter
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Team Omega
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
They/Them/She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Grass
Pokédex Entry
can be bribed with shiny objects and spices to do household repairs. utterly incapable of many things, but does them anyway
TL;DR: Is there a special term for a ruleset/clause that disallows Pokémon you've used before in Nuzlocke runs which I am calling a "newlocke" for now
"banlist" sort of covers it? It's definitely not an uncommon thing to do, and you can be as well reasoned or as arbitrary as you want with them.

Arowana

planning, planning, planning
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 15, 2021
Nature
Lonely
Pronouns
they/them
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Fairy
Pokédex Entry
This Pokémon likes to follow their whims wherever they may take them.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Really glad to see that there are others that feel similarly to me! It's super interesting to see how everyone applies it. I have yet to properly list down all the Pokémon lines I've used in all my runs, actually, but I want to do so before PLA comes out. Would really like to do a Nuzlocke in that game, though I have NO idea how it'd work when it's open world and afaik you're required to catch Pokémon to progress in the game.

"banlist" sort of covers it? It's definitely not an uncommon thing to do, and you can be as well reasoned or as arbitrary as you want with them.
Honestly though, it IS essentially a banlist. Kinda like banning Legendaries and Mythicals, but for different reasons. I've never seen an arbitrary banlist used though, I wonder what it's like.

Chess

birds can't hurt me these shades are gucci
Globetrotter
Artist
Writer
Screenshotter
Team Alpha
Team Omega
Team Delta
Pokédex No.
Caught
May 13, 2019
Nature
Docile
Pronouns
They/Them/She/Her
Pokémon Type
  1. Fire
  2. Grass
Pokédex Entry
can be bribed with shiny objects and spices to do household repairs. utterly incapable of many things, but does them anyway
It's very fun and I'd recommend trying it at least once

Skarmizard

Metal dragon bird/Smash ‘locker
Writer
Screenshotter
Pokédex No.
Caught
Nov 12, 2019
Nature
Quiet
Pronouns
he/him
Pokémon Type
  1. Dragon
  2. Steel
Pokédex Entry
This Skarmory/Charizard fusion is very rare and tends to be quiet and shy until befriended. Also writes and is a huge fan of Smash Bros.
I try to prioritize using 'mons I haven't used if I have the choice, and in some of my runs I straight-up banned 'mons I've used before for variety. I love this idea so that 'mons that rarely get used might get a chance sometime, and for the extra variety.
1) Charizard
2) Blastoise
3) Butterfree
4) Beedrill
5) Pidgeot
6) Sandslash
7) Nidoking
8) Ninetales
9) Crobat
10) Dugtrio
11) Golduck
12) Alakazam
13) Tentacruel
14) Golem
15) Magneton/zone
16) Gengar
17) Steelix
18) Hypno
19) Electrode
20) Marowak
21) Tangrowth
22) Kangaskhan
23) Kingdra
24) Scizor
25) Magmortar
26) Gyarados
27) Vaporeon, Jolteon, Leafeon, and Espeon
28) Porygon-Z
29) Kabutops
30) Aerodactyl
31) Snorlax
32) Typhlosion
33) Feraligatr
34) Ampharos
35) Quagsire
36) Honchkrow
37) Gliscor
38) Weavile
39) Mantine
40) Skarmory
41) Houndoom
42) Sceptile
43) Mightyena
44) Swellow
45) Gallade
46) Breloom
47) Exploud
48) Hariyama
49) Aggron
50) Manectric
51) Camerupt
52) Flygon
53) Crawdaunt
54) Dusknoir
55) Walrein
56) Torterra
57) Infernape
58) Empoleon
59) Staraptor
60) Bibarel
61) Luxray
62) Floatzel
63) Bronzong
64) Garchomp
65) Lucario
66) Hippowdon
67) Drapion
68) Serperior
69) Emboar
70) Samurott
71) Stoutland
72) Gigalith
73) Conkeldurr
74) Seismitoad
75) Krookodile
76) Cofagrigus
77) Sigilyph
78) Carracosta
79) Archeops
80) Zoroark
81) Chandelure
82) Beartic
83) Druddigon
84) Golurk
85) Hydreigon
86) Volcarona
87) Chesnaught
88) Delphox
89) Greninja
90) Aegislash
91) Heliolisk
92) Decidueye
93) Incineroar
94) Lurantis
Haven't finished a Galar run yet, and no regional forms. Might need to keep this in mind when trying to decide who to use/who should be on my final teams...

Users who are viewing this thread